New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy - Ace Investigations

Ace
    Evenin', gents, says Ace with a tip of his bowler hat. I'm a recruiter for the new Bord-Eaux army who's been tasked with chatting up members of the current Watch for potential additions. I don't suppose you boys could spare a mo'? My documents are right here, he says, holding out his papers for the guards to see.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The second man give Ace a smile,
    "Sure, why not?. It isnt like we're really busy here anyway."
    He doesnt even look at the sorcerer papers.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer smiles. Well for starters, I'd like to talk about the night of the goblin raid. What happened for you then?
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The smiling man shrug,
    "Well about the same as anyone else. We heard the city alarms, not really knowing what was happening. We did hear from some people later than it was goblins, but none brought their ugly face here. A sad thing, I would had loved to introduce someof these my blade, if you get what I mean."

Ace keen sense notice that the second man look doubtious at Ashe and also a little nervous about how the meeting is turning out.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Eagerness, that's good, but it must be tempered with duty. I trust you held your post during the raid, despite the appetizing goblin faces you no doubt wished to redesign with your sword? says Ace; his manner is non-threatening and casual, as if he were a book keeper recording simple facts on a ledger.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

[OOC: Bump, in case you missed my last post.]
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The man man keep smiling and nod to Ace,
    "Of course, we kept our post here. We could not really go chase goblins in the district and leave the door. "
    Suddenly, you see that the man realise something and look a little embarassed as he admit,
    "Well we stayed here most of the time. I almost forgot, but at some point during the raid, we did hear someone call for help down there, from the side alley."
    The man spot an alley about 50 feet to the west.
    "We did not know yet what was going on, but after a few seconds, the woman cries became histerical and we could simply not ignore them anymore. We quickly closed the gate and rushed to the alley. A group of drunk thugs had cornered a young woman and were intimidating her. We came in just as one of them grabbed her. We simply could not leave her to her fate. We had to intervene, wouldnt you had as well?"

Ace notice that the second man appear a little bit disturbed and surprised by his partner recollection of the night events. He quickly regain from those feeling and become more neutral, but you sure there is something bothering him. He seems to have become suspicious about you, but simply keep silent for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry buddy, I had seen the reply.... I just didnt have time lately to reply to this... as for the IC game, I'll try to spur things onward more now... as most of my real life loads of works and stuff are done now.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Of course, I would certainly have done the same! How very chivalrous, sirs. He turns to the second guard. Is something wrong, sir? You look troubled.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The man look surprised and reply,
    "Wha- no. There is no trouble."
    The man try to smile, but it doesnt look sincere at all.
    The second man look at his partner then walk over and put an hand on his shoulder.
    "I know I promised not to talk about it Jack, but he doesnt work for Captain Beaudoin."
    As he say this, the man seem to have second thoughts and ask in an uncertain tone,
    "You dont, right?"
    Jack simply say in hushed tones,
    "I sure hope your right Bern, I dont wanna end up cleaning the cells."
    The sorcerer, having spotted a flaw in the second man, keep most of his attention on that man. While the nervous man try to jump in the flow of discussion Bern is keeping, you realise there is something fishy about all this.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Please, don't be embarrassed! Thugs are like vultures during a raid like that, and it is the Watch's job to put them in their place. The sorcerer grins his winning smile. I know the two of you like your post well, but I think the city could really use your expertise and judgment training the militia recruits. I would like you both to report to Captain Brasseur at your earliest convenience, he says, writing and signing a quick pair of documents for them. Brasseur runs the militia now, and strictly doesn't work for the Watch, so Captain Beaudoin need never hear of your heroism, if that's what you prefer.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The second man nod his thanks, "Yeah, Id prefer that," and try to appear releived, but you get the feeling this is all fake.
    "I'll consider your offer. I guess the army pay would be better than the guard one right?"

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    We haven't exactly worked out the pay yet, but I think the added risk would warrant higher pay, yes. You can discuss it with Brasseur tomorrow morning. The Vistani tips his hat. Have a good shift, gents, and remember to report to Brasseur and bring those sheets I signed you.

With that, Ace heads back to Brasseur's command post, to see if he can find Marius or the Captain himself to deliver his report and his findings.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace have no trouble to get to the city main barracks. Once there, he sees Marius at work training or maybe evaluating new recruits. The human nod to Ace, but doesnt have time to come see him. At the front door, Ace is oriented toward William new office.

Ace heads there and find the new army leader organising his new office, which was probably some meeting room. The man doesnt seem to have noticed Ace yet, as he is struggling with an heavy box.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Good eve, Captain. I don't suppose you need a hand with that? asks the Vistani, noting the box William is struggling with.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I swear I replied to the thread, but either my post was eaten or I forgot to hit submit and closed the window, or something. Sorry .
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The captain turn around, a little surprised, but give Ace a smile.
    "Nah, I am alright. I am settling in right now. So how was your day? Found anything of interest?"

The man remove a box from the second chair in the room so Ace can take a seat.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is alright, I meant no pressure... it simply happen that I cannot see a post until someone else post after.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    I think I have found the Watch men who let Green get the food into the Old District. I have told them they are to report to you about joining the militia; when they come and hand you the papers signed by me, you'll know its the men I found today. What do you want to do with them, once they get here? I am almost certain they weren't telling me a true account of the night of the raid at the gate, but I haven't let on that my interview wasn't about joining the militia. I suppose we can question them directly, but if its the wrong men, then this mummer's farce of ours is done when they start gossiping with their friends, and we lose our hope of catching the real rats.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    William listen to Ace.
    "When they turn in, I'll question them myself. If they are not the one you seek, well I'll simply rally offer them a post in the army and keep them busy here. At worst, I can justify imprisonning them somehow."
    The captain simply shrug. He look a little guilty about his last comment as he imply he would charge them with fake accusations simply to keep them to go babble around.
    "Good to see your making some progress. what are you planning to do next?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The Vistani laughs. Tonight? I've got a card game to attend with some friends. Tomorrow, I will probably head here to see what you got out of the guards I sent you; after that, I'll head to Beaudoin's dungeon and have some words with Green. Is there anything I can do to be of service to the militia?
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The captain nod with a smile,
    "Good plan. But dont waste your steps going at the old district quarters. Green have been transfered here today and we have been interrogating him. He didnt-"
    A single knock on the open door behind Ace intterpt William. As you both look at whom it is, you realise that it is Commander Ulbert weapon in hand that knocked. He look at Ace for a few seconds with a slight suspicious touch in his eyes, but he seem to remember who you are and turn to William saying,
    "One of the guard just found one of our jail watchman dead and our new prisoner assassinated. We are locking up and searching the whole place, but it look like a professionnal job and I fear that the assassin is already gone."
    You see two armed guard go by in the corridor behind the commander.
    Keep your eyes open.
    The commander then head down the corridor with his mens.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is quite funny that you say that you wanted to interrogate Green, considering this scene
    I almost posted this in my previous post, but decided to let you talk a little with william first instead... I must say it is even better.... dramatic like it would in a movie!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Though he is initially shocked by the suddenness of the news, Ace quickly recovers. I have a spell that will show us Green's killer, says the Vistani. Bring me to his body, and let's see of I can't solve this murder quickly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, quite dramatic! At least this gives me a chance to use my newly learned Last Sight Vision ritual!
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    At Ace words, the commander stop and tell his mens,
    "You two go secure the front door."
    He then turn back toward Ace and William.
    "So you are a wizard then? William, I assume that you trust this man?"
    William look at Ace and simply say,
    "I dont know him that well, but I do trust him. I'll have you note that he was among the ones that captured him in the first place. He probably simply could had killed him there and then if that was what he wanted."
    The commander nod and Ace realise that he probably already came to that conclusion when he first have seen you in there.
    "Alright then, you both come with me."
    William pick up his sword and you both start to walk in the corridors of the main building. You note a few group of sldiers that are methodicly searching the rooms.
    "How long will it take and how will this work exactly?" ask the commander.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Not quite a wizard, but the Vistani know ritual magic, especially divinations. I'll need ten minutes to prepare the body; I won't need components, I can improvise without them. When I'm done, I'll see the last moments of Green's life, through his eyes; lets hope he at least glimpsed his killer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last Sight Vision; No component cost (Vistani Seer, 1/day)

Arcana Check: (1d20+8)[24]

Depending on the result, I see the last X rounds of his life:

Results: 19 or lower; 2 rounds
    20-29; 4 rounds
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The militia leader nod to the Vistasini. The group keep walking inside the building, taking a few stairs down toward the jail area. Once Ace enter the jail area, he is led toward the west ward area. William explain Ace that this area is used to isolate dangerous criminals and to interrogate them. Once in the west ward, Ace immediatly spot the guard corpse, covered with a linen blanket atop a large pool of what probably is his own blood. The guard doesnt appear to have struggled at all and fell right where he have been attacked as there is absolutly no traces of blood going anywhere from his corpse.
    "That was that "Green" man cell."
    Ace come up to the door and immediatly notice that the key is in the lock and the door have been left open, either by the killer or by those who found him dead. He then spot Green cropse, hanging limp from the wall by chains tried up to his wrist with handcuffs. He appear to have suffered many injuries of different nature, some physical, some from elements.
    The commander take the ring of keys in the lock and offer them to Ace,
    "The smaller key should unlock the handcuffs. If you need a cleaner room to do your magic, there is an other empty cell right there."
    The man point a closed door on the other side of the corridor, the only other one in this section.

Spoiler
    Show
    ASI asked in OOC, does the ritual give only the image, or does it also give the sound..... I kinda need to know that before I post what you see.
    Also, if there is other stuff/search/skill check you want to do, just roleplay, then roll them.

At worst, I'll check home tonight for the ritual description.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-06-12 at 02:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Here will be fine, Captain. Ace draws a card from his deck and begins to trace runes on the walls and on the body with the card's edge. The runes appear in glowing magical form, since he is performing the ritual without exotic chalks and powders. After about ten minutes of preparation, he sits and closes his eyes. When he opens then, he sees and hears the end of Green's life.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I get the visual and the auditory parts of the last 4 rounds of his life. I replied in the group OOC thread, but I did so in the same post as where I made Jieung's AoO, so it might've gotten lost.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    You are tied up to the cell wall as the door open in front of him and a young blond soldier with blue eyes enter the room, leaving the keys into the lock. The soldier wear the regular militia uniform with no rank at all and probably some low rank watchman.
    You hear yourself say,
    "So your boss want to interrogate me again eh?"
    The young man smile to you and reply,
    "Not really."
    As he say so, he rise his hand forward and a weave of cold energy errupt from his hand and slam hard again you making bump against the stone wall and loose your footing and hang down completly on your arms. As you regain your footing, the agressor summon a ball of black and purple energy that you recognise as a chaos bolt and send it flying your way making you cover in pain. As you finaly regain your footing, the young man is walking forward drawing his dagger with a serious face and suddenly vanish from your sigh.
    You say, "WAIT RED! I can-", but suddenly stop speaking as the young man reappear on your right side. You see him pull out his bloodied dagger from neck. As the light turn into darkness, you hear the man say,
    "Your contract have been terminated."
    The vision have been quick and violent, but when Ace open his eyes, he does remember having see the young man leave the front door as he came in the building to report to William about 20 minutes ago.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-06-13 at 02:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The Vistani gasps, sucking in air as he leaves Green's senses and returns to his own body. A blonde boy, in militia garb. He left A I was entering to deliver my report, I recall. Earlier today, I performed an Augury about a coded message of Green's. I learned that a colored knife could cut through the code in seconds... I thought the cards were just coyly referring to Green Dagger, but I think there are others. Before he died, he Valle the boy "Red". And he was a sorcerer; I recognized his Chaos Bolt, and what might've been dragonfrost.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The commander rise an eyebrow in surprise,
    "A blond young guard? That might be Derrik. He was actually the other guard in charge of the jail area today, with Bornath."
    The captain face become sad as he point the guard covered corpse identifing him as Bornath.
    "But Derrik is no mage... at least he never let us know he was one. He was ok with a blade, if only barely, but I've never seen him do anything magical. Are you sure it is him?"
    The captain give a few more details about Derrick appearance and it all is fitting.
    "Alright, I'll have his quarters searched. We will also search the whole place for him, even if you think he left already. Actually, William, I'd like a full report on who else might be missing for duty right now."
    The captain aparently suddenly realise that William isnt part of the militia anymore, even if only temporary,
    "Sorry, old habits, I'll..."
    William rise his hand to stop the commander,
    "I'll take care of it. I' have to account for my own mens too anyway. I'll go work with Lieutenant Benoit on this."

The captain look at Green corpse, then back to Ace and say,
    "Thanks for your help, I doubt we would had that much details without you. It is quite sad as we didnt learn much out of him yet, beside the fact that he was from out of town and was likely working for some big organisation. What are you planning to do? How are you own investigations going?"
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-06-14 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    I've sent William two guards I think were bribed by Green during the raid. Maybe we'll get more answers out of them. Until we catch a break, I intend to study that coded message. With the Lady's luck, I'll crack it soon and we'll have more to work on. Be aware, sir, that the killer may not have been the militia boy. If Red Dagger is a sorcerer, he may have a glamor to change his face.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    With Ace last comment, the commander only shrug,
    "If that is the case, I pity that poor Derrik when we catch him. We will have to make sure if he is indeed theassassin or not... I doubt it will be pleasant for him. If we are done here, let get to our work."
    William, who was waiting for you, tell you,
    "Come with me, I'll have you accounted for and discharge of suspect list. I assume that you came directly to me from the front door? If that is the case, the front desk cleck should be able to tell you can in a few moments before it all happened."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you dont have more questions for either or thing you want to inspect/do, you will get the clearance to get out after about 15 minutes.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    After being cleared of any wrongdoing, Ace promises to meet the Captain tomorrow to check on his two suspects and departs. He heads to meet Julian and his friends for their card game.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-06-14 at 01:48 PM.
    My Homebrew