New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [4E] Grandpre Academy - Ace Investigations

DM
    July 15, 1500 - an hour before midnight.

Once out of the barrack, Ace had no trouble getting to the Old sailor tavern after an hour or so of travel in mostly empty streets.
    As he enter the building, he spot a few familiar faces and spot Julian, at his usual table playing cards with 3 more mens. As the human spot you, he say beckon you and say,
    "So you're finaly here eh? I told you hed came. Ace, this is James, Mark and berny. Guys this is Ace. Take a seat friend, I was about to take James money, if he follows of course."
    Ace sees a good pot of money in play and James seem hesitant to bid.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    How much coin do I need to put on the table to get a hand, Julian? asks Ace with a grin. He pats James on the shoulder. Don't worry, soon any money you lose to Julian will be lining my pockets instead, he jokes, winking.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    "Initial bids are 1 silver coin, but you can drop as much money as you want on the table. Why should I limit you as I'll win it all.", jest the human back at Ace.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess we can narate this if it serve no other purpose than the card game.... (if not, just keep roleplaying)
    you can roll a bluff check to see how well you fare.
    You can also add theivery (Medium DC=12) check if you want to cheat. (be aware that failure on thievery can result in being caught).

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The Vistani throws a gold coin on the table, with a smile, as the dealer includes him in the fun. I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, Julian. Lets see if you can put those cards where your mouth is, my friend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+11)[20]
    Thievery: (1d20+10)[19]
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The card game goes on for about two hours. You are pretty sure that Julian have let a few hands go to keep his three other friends morale high. But in the end, you and Julian clean them of all their money. But they had drink and fun and doesnt see to care too much about their lost. You are actually pretty sure it almost always end up like this. When the three take their leave, it is well passed midnight and you are did win some money from the three, but Julian took most of that profit away, making you end up with roughly your initial money.
    "Good night guys, hope to see you again soon!
    So my friend, shall I take what is left in front of you or do we call it a night. A one on one game isnt as fun as a multiple player one."

Spoiler
    Show
    Julian rolled higher than you ... but not by that much... so you still have your 1GP, but Julian have the rest of the money that have been played.

If you wanted to talk about buisness alone with him, now is the time.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Well played, Julian. Lady Luck has deigned not to fill my coffers this evening; perhaps she will be in a different mood tomorrow, he jokes as he recollects his original gold piece.On the business end of things, I've ill tidings, my friend. Green Dagger is dead, assassinated in his cell this very evening. We think it happened at the hands of a sorcerer working for his organization. I believe he is the "Red Dagger", and he might be able to change his face with magic like my friend Monique. If you and your little birds hear anything about him, I'd like to know, says Ace, more seriously. Speaking of little birds, any word on the search for Tam, Baldric and Eliael today?
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Julian lok a bit surprised by Ace ill news,
    "Killed really? Havent it been transfered to the main militia quarters? Well thanks for the information, and I'll rely it to our people. If we get any information on this, I'll let you know. As for your missing friends, I have heard nothing yet. Actually, it have been quite boring since you found out the food for us. As far as I know, no one attempted anything on the new food storage location and everything is quite calm in the streets. I am actually a little embarassed that you learned before me of Green demise."
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-09-06 at 12:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Yeah, it happened in his cell at headquarters. I only know before you because I was reporting to Captain Brasseur when it happened, so don't feel bad. He stands and pats Julian on the shoulder. I need to get some sleep, my friend. Good game, we should do this more often. If your little birds hear anything about Red, send those chirps my way. If it comes down to a spell battle, I want to be there to match him cast for cast.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Julian nod to Ace and smile,
    "Well that explain how you learned about it before me! Fear not, if I get some more new, I'll let you know. Good night my friend."

With that, Julian rise and goes speak with the barman for a few moment before retiring to the kitchen.

When Ace move out, it is is a few hours past midnight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless you do something else, you can simply narate your safe return to the Inn and move thing to the next day (you'll rise around 9AM to get your 6 hour rest). I'd like to know what you wish to do.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer retreats to the inn and gets to sleep. In the morning, he performs a new divination with his cards.

Where should I go next if I want to track down Green's killer? he thinks as he begins turning and interpreting the cards.

Spoiler
    Show
    After my extended rest, I will use Augury to ask the above question.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-06-23 at 12:25 AM.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    July 16th, 1500, 10 AM :
    As Ace enter his trance, the room blur around him...

Suddenly, Ace find himself in some city alley. In front of him, the street split in 4 different directions.

To the left, you see a short corridor. In the middle of the corridor, you see Zorana walking on a tight rope over bottomless pit. She is dodging swinging blades and poking spears as she slowly walks forward. The part of the corridor to reach the tight rope look oddly safe enough.

The second corridor is quite long and seem to lead to the "Fil D'or" Inn, the same one you and Zorana found Brammeur doing buisness. In the corridor leading to that place, you spot many bodies laying on the ground and you can see some suspicious greenish fog floating in it.

The third alley appear endless to you and you see various feature carved into the walls. They look like various cities or areas of the continent, that you are sure of, but you cannot really dicern which ones they are. Sticked on every features, you see daggers of different colors.

In the last corridor, you cannot see a thing as darkness fill it like thick smoke. Some moaning voices, as if in terrible pain, can be heard fron that one.
    After a few moments, you vision return to normal and you are in the same safe place you were when you started.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure if I translated "Fil D'or" before... to lazy to check for it right now.... that is the Inn where you found Brammeur (the man who lead you to Green). It is located in the Old district.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-06-28 at 09:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The Vistani stores the information for later, and gathers his belongings. Time to go find Zorana, or at least Julian; the cards would not lie, something is wrong and Zorana may be in danger, he thinks, mentally pushing his appointment with the Captain back so he can go visit the Thieves' Guild.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace urge himself to the Old sailor tavern. He get there an hour or so before lunch. As he enter, he spot Julian at his usual table, alone. Actually, at this hour, the tavern is quite empty, with only two sailors who decided to start drinking early this day.
    Julian seem absorbed by paper in front of him and it is the barman who cough to get his attention then point you.
    The young man smile and rise to his feets,
    "Back so soon to loose the rest of your money eh?"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    No time for games now, Julian. When I quested after Red Dagger with my augury this morning, I saw Zorana in danger. It was a very clear vision; where is she? The vision seemed to indicate that she'd be easy to find, but hard to rescue, he replies, the usual playfulness gone from his tone.
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Julian joyous face turn serious in the blink of an eye.
    "What do you mean you've got a vision of her in danger, are you a seer or something? She was fine this morning when I saw her."
    He appear to think for a few seconds then add,
    "I did tell her about "Green" death and that you wanted information on this. She did tell me she was going to look into this, then she left. I have no idea where she is right now, she is the one reporting back when she is done, as most of our people does. Usually she turn in for dinner, unless she does find something before that time. The best I can do is have some people look for her. "

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    In your trade, Julian, I am sure you've heard tales of the Vistani. My people mostly wander the roads further north of Grandpre, but their reputation is known. Those of the bloodbond are sometimes blessed with second sight, the ability to see things others cannot. I asked the cards where I might look next to find Green's killer, and one of the four paths I was shown depicted Zorana walking a tightrope while dodging projectiles and traps. I feel her search may lead her into more trouble than she can handle, and I would like to prevent that; at the very least, the vision indicates that she's on the right track, explains Ace, shuffling his deck nervously. I might performing an omen reading to help find her, but I'd like to check the obvious places first. Where might she have begun her search; would she dare to enter the militia barracks?

Baldric.... Eliael... Tam... Zelda, Nico... I am not losing anyone else... thinks the sorcerer to himself.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2012-07-06 at 05:19 PM.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Julian face show some worries,
    "Well she did seem quite motivated this morning as she departed. Still I doubt she'd dare enter the main militia barrack, even less after some murder have been done, as security probably have been risen. As for spots where she can be, I dont really know. She have contacts all over this district and even in some others, I know know much about them"
    The young man ponders a few more moments then add,
    "Maybe she would return for clues where you captured Green, or at the Inn where Green contact was. I know she often turn to Bartina for informations as well. She is the keeper of the Raven Queen shrine, whom Zorana consider as her adoptive mother. That are the obvious spot, other than that, she can be anywhere."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Brammeur appeared in another part of my vision... but whether that means he is related, or perhaps a different avenue, I am unsure. I will begin with the priestess of the Raven Queen. I know it is a lot to ask to commit your manpower based on a vision, but if your Guild could help me find her, we might be able to prevent the indistinct peril I foresaw.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Julian nod to Ace,
    "I'll pass the wod around. The Raven Queen shrins is located in the Old district cimetary. Look for Pelor temple, from there you should be able to see the graves and the shrine with the godess symbol. Zorana have a few hours lead on us, lets just hope she didnt already have gone to these obvious spots."

At that, Julian rise, say a few words to the barman, then go into the kitchen.

Ace leave and heads to the old district area. He travel quickly and is unoppossed at the gate between the districts. After about an hour, he comes into sight of the Pelorian temple. Looking around, he spot the Raven Queen shrine in the middle of the graveyard. It is a small building made of plain grey stones and is quite simple in design.

The sorcerer walk onto the path leading to the shrine, passing by some old man digging a new grave. He reach the shrine and enter the main opened door leading into the praying. A simple statue of the neutral godess is located in the far end of the room. Other than that, the room is completly empty. The only other feature is a closed door with a lock into the left stone wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    What do you do?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Cursing the Lady's push that no one is immediately available, Ace decides to try knocking on the door.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace knocking receive no answer at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    assuming you check the door is locked.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-07-11 at 05:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Knowing he could probably pick the lock, but that it probably wouldn't get him anywhere but in trouble, Ace decides to head over to the Fils D'Or instead, not wanting to waste any more time here.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    As Ace heads out, the gravedigger look up and say taking the opportunity to take a small break and whipe sweat from his face,
    "That was quick mate. Were ya here to pray or tha see the priestess? I'd assume tha later, well yar out of luck, she left not too long ago."
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-07-12 at 09:38 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    I did want to speak to the priestess, actually, on a matter of some urgency. Do you know where I might locate her?
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The old man shrug,
    "I dunno where they've gone sir, but I do not expect her back soon. Ya see, she left with her young friend and their buisness, whatevar it is, usually take time. But I'm pretty sure she will be back around dinner time, as we have to bury that dead man they brought this morning. Speaking of which, I better return to my diggin, if I want to be ready for it."

The old man take a sip of water then start digging again.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    Somewhat reassured that Zorana has a priestess of the Raven Queen with her, Ace smiles, thanks the man and tips his hat, then hurries off towards the Fils D'Or.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    Ace make it to the Inn in less than 15 minutes. As he approach the place, he notice some young man motioning for Ace half hidden in a side alley. The sorcerer remember having see him sooner and while he doesnt know his name, he knows he is part of Julian crew.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    The sorcerer surreptitiously moves over to speak with the thief. Any news? he asks as he enters the alley.
    My Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

DM
    The young man lead Ace in a side alley and tell him,
    "Nothing much. It have been quite boring to watch this place since we've captured that dude for you. I've seen our fearless leader this morning and she told me to warn the gang not to meddle in that Inn. Apparantly she is doing some investigation right now. While you're not part of the gang, I guess this might apply to you as well."
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2012-08-13 at 01:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Ace
    You mean Zorana is in there right now? he asks, trying not to let relief creep into his voice.
    My Homebrew