New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Final Fantasy VII D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (version 1.10)

I'll be posting several new monsters over the coming two weeks. Is there any thoughts on the system?

2. - Top - End - #62

BlackDragon

Here are a couple more monsters for review.

2-FACED
    2-Faced are floating balls that bare a happy face on one side and an angry face on the other. it is said they appear in hot deserts and wastelands, waiting to attack unaware passers-by.

2-FACED
    Small Aberration 4
    Challenge Level 5
    Init +5; Senses Perception +2; low-light vision
    Defences Ref 17 (flat-footed 14), Fort 13, Will 13, Mag 12
    HP 19; MP 8; Threshold 13
    Speed 4 squares (fly; clumsy)
    Ranged Slam +6 (1d4+3)
    Fighting Space 1; Reach 5 squares
    Base Attack +3; Grp +1
    Special Qualities Low-light vision, spell resistance (earth; no effect)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 16, Con 6, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 2
    Spells Bomb Blast, Cure
    Feats Improved Defences, Toughness
    Skills Spellcasting +7, Survival +7

BOMB BLAST
    Type: Non-Elemental.
    MP Cost: none (reaction).
    Effect: The monster self-destructs after being successfully attacked three times with a ranged or melee weapon; causing all enemy targets within a 12-square radius from its position to receive 3d8 points of energy damage and are moved -3 steps down the condition track.
    Special: Player characters do not receive XP for the encounter if the monster self-destructs by the effects of this spell-like ability.

JENOVA --birth--
    JENOVA --birth-- is a form of JENOVA that appears once a certain amount of its cells have formed a reunion. it is by far its weakest form but still may present a problem to those unfarmiliar to its nature.

JENOVA --birth--
    Gargantuan Aberration 5
    Challenge Level 6
    Init +2; Senses Perception +10
    Defences Ref 17, Fort 26, Will 27, Mag 18
    HP 134; MP 15; Threshold 31
    Speed none (immobile)
    Melee none
    Fighting Space 3x3; Reach 3 squares
    Base Attack +3; Grp +10
    Special Qualities Spell Resistance (gravity, no effect; poison, no effect), Terrifying Presence
    Abilities Str 25, Dex 10, Con 25, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 4
    Spells Bio, Cure, Laser, Stop
    Feats Improved Damage Threshold, Skill Focus (Spellcasting)
    Skills Perception +10, Spellcasting +13

LASER
    Type: Non-elemental.
    MP Cost: 3.
    Effect: A monster can make ranged attack against a single target or a group of targets within a 6-square radius from itself. If the attack succeeds, the monster can fire a laser from its eyes, hand, or tail, dealing 1d10 points of energy damage to the target(s) hit points.
    Special: By spending an additional Mako Point (up to the monster’s Wisdom modifier) you increase the damage dealt by this spell-like ability by +1 die.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have to say I've skimmed the pdf and love it. The one thing that jumped out to me is the Wolfion's aging stats. IIRC the epilogue of FFVII is 500 years later, and Red XIII looks to be in his prime.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #64

BlackDragon

thanks for your comment. What do you think would be their aging structure? I want all help i can get so feel free to point out more problems and offering solutions

5. - Top - End - #65

BlackDragon

Does anyone have any feedback on the Core Rulebook or on the monsters that are posted?

6. - Top - End - #66

BlackDragon

Any more feedback on the book?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_In_Da_Room View Post
    thanks for your comment. What do you think would be their aging structure? I want all help i can get so feel free to point out more problems and offering solutions
    Well... he's looking pretty robust at almost 550 years old, I'd say no more than middle-aged. But Bugenhagen says at 48 years old he's more like a 16 or 17 year old for humans, so it wouldn't be linear.

Adulthood for a human is 15 years, so adulthood for his race should be maybe 40 years.

Then middle age is 35 years. Assuming Nanaki is middle-aged in the epilogue, I'd guess something like this:

birth-40 not yet adult (split this up how you wish)
    40-400 adult
    400-??? middle-aged
    etc.

You can pretty much do whatever as long as 500 isn't decrepit.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Well... he's looking pretty robust at almost 550 years old, I'd say no more than middle-aged. But Bugenhagen says at 48 years old he's more like a 16 or 17 year old for humans, so it wouldn't be linear.

Adulthood for a human is 15 years, so adulthood for his race should be maybe 40 years.

Then middle age is 35 years. Assuming Nanaki is middle-aged in the epilogue, I'd guess something like this:

birth-40 not yet adult (split this up how you wish)
    40-400 adult
    400-??? middle-aged
    etc.

You can pretty much do whatever as long as 500 isn't decrepit.
    Thanks for that. Is there anything else you've noticed that may need revising?

9. - Top - End - #69

BlackDragon

Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-06-27 at 04:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

Are there any more thoughts on the book, or any help in improving it?

11. - Top - End - #71

BlackDragon

Version 1.11 updates include the following:

• Gazetteer of all towns and cities.
    • Several typos corrected.
    • The Chocobo Breeding chapter has been removed to be inserted in the Monster Manual.

Is there anymore thoughts on the book?

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

Is there any more thoughts on the system? I know it seems like nagging but i do need assistance to make this project better.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

And now I have to download it all over again. Oh well. Still pushing the machine chapter to its limits. I have som eideas I'll forward to you. Probably most of the problems are in magic since it's a new system, so since I haven't had a chance to see much of that, I won't be able to comment on it for a while I'm afraid. Unless we start another game where I play a mage-type character. There's an idea - set it in Dirge of Cerberus, because I still haven't played that game so even the default plot would probably surprise me.

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

Sounds like a good idea, but i won't GM it as i find running multiple games can get confusing.

If you read through the chapters you haven't done so already, it might give you an idea on how the system fits into place.

15. - Top - End - #75

BlackDragon

Is there any more thoughts on the book?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

I've only just been skimming it a little, since I'm doing a lot of other things, but I was going to say one thing I noticed are some things about the races. I think Moogles wouldn't have d6 claws. It's a rare small size class creature that does have d6 claws. And also, you mention the sahuagin having shells but I didn't see them having natural armor. If there's one thing that would have natural armor, I would say it it's something with a big turtle shell.

17. - Top - End - #77

BlackDragon

Thanks for point that out, i'll change it now. Would 2d4 be the appropriate die for Moogle claws?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

No, I was thinking less damage would be better. Like I'm as big a fan of moogles as the next guy (possibly more than some), but because of their cutesy design and the fact that they're small size class, I'd say 1d4 at most, possibly even 1d3. If you look at a lot of creatures with claws that have low or no level adjustments in normal D&D, you'll notice that most of the ones that are medium size have d4 claws. Like an example would be Lizardfolk. If I remember correctly, they only have d4 claw damage. And kobolds, which are small size class, have d3 claw damage. That's why I'm thinking a moogle shouldn't start out with that high of a damage die. Maybe allow the Improved Natural Weapon feat from the Monster Manual, that would allow the damage die to be increased to d6 (or d4 if you chose to start it at d3) or maybe make some kind of moogle specific feat.

19. - Top - End - #79

BlackDragon

Thanks for that, is there anything else you've noticed that may need changing or improving?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for that, is there anything else you've noticed that may need changing or improving?
    I've been cooking all night and haven't had a chance to take another look at it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've been thinking about this and i realise a system where magic is used a number of times per day, like in D&D, wouldn't work in this system. Final Fantasy 7's magic system is one where a character uses MP until they run out then replenishes it through an ether or elixir, and i wanted to be faithful to the video game above anything else.

Having said that, i'm going to change how many Mako Points each base class and prestige class have as the amount characters receive are too few. Any help on how many each class should get would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your imput
    Aren't you forgeting about each towns inn and all the tents you found/brought? These recoved both HP and MP to there max. For the default world you could say that without a 'one use camp site in a bottle' (Tent) you cant get a good nights sleep and don't recover anything, with one you spend 8 sleeping in some magicial field that resores your HP and MP. In other worlds things would be as normal, able to camp anywere and recover there MP but not there HP.

Also has anyone put this up elsewhere? I don't like how 4shared.com wants me to sign up. I'm sure they just want to spam me... Or give my info to the cops when it comes time for them to meet the same fate as MegaUpload. I have found a copy on scribd.com that I can view but its only 1.10 so it don't have all the updates. Plus I cant download from there without signing up either. Why are sites doing this.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlackDragon

I think that's probably why not many people are able to view the book and comment about it. What good site do you recommend to upload it too?

Also, i've been thinking about adding Tents to the game so thanks for your imput . I'll add them in the next update.

Is there anything else from the book you've seen needs improving on?
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-07-13 at 12:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I don't know about upload side of it but downloading from mediafire is easy enough. And that scribd.com site let me look at it without downloading so some may like that. It makes things a pain for you when it comes time to update but the more places it is the more likely people will look at it. or beter yet finish getting the data up on https://sites.google.com/site/finalfantasyviid20/ (I'm guessing thats your site, sorry if I'm wrong) as this will let people see sections they want without downloading the whole thing.

I was mainly intrested in the Magic system as I was thinking of making one simirlar to FF7 myself. With that being the only area I really checked and the book I was using being an older version I would like to hold off on my input untill I can get a better look.

So far you have done better than I could hope to, so keep up the good work.
    Last edited by DragGon7601; 2012-07-15 at 09:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlackDragon

Thanks, i'll try them out as soon as i can.

The google website is mine but i sort of gave up on it lol.

25. - Top - End - #85

BlackDragon

is there any more feedback on the system?

26. - Top - End - #86

BlackDragon

Forget the link to the updated book a few posts up, this is the new updated book uploaded to a different site, which will hopefully allow everyone to download it without having to sign up. please PEACH as i want to make this system the best it could be and every thought and advice is highly appreciated.

FINAL FANTASY VII D20 ROLEPLAYING GAME - CORE RULEBOOK I

27. - Top - End - #87

BlackDragon

Is there any feedback on the system?

28. - Top - End - #88

BlackDragon

I've just created the relevant page to this project on the Final Fantasy Wiki. the link is here.

29. - Top - End - #89

BlackDragon

Is there any more feedback on the book?

30. - Top - End - #90

BlackDragon

Is there anymore comments or imput into the book? Also, is everyone able to download it better than before?