New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy VII D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (version 1.10)

Sadly I've gained nothing trying to get my usual group to play test the system, I have no current issues with the books until we actually get around to it, I'll keep reviewing them and let you know anything else I find.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Keep at it, im sure you'll get a game going. I'll keep checking the thread regularly to see if you have anything to mention about the books.

3. - Top - End - #123

BlackDragon

Any feedback on the books?

4. - Top - End - #124

ElfRangerGuy

One thing regarding magic, did you plan on expanding the magic rules? Like at certain materia levels you gain upgraded spells? (Even with investing more mp into a spell, some materia has something other than a 2 and 3 variation, like fire has flare if I'm not mistaken)
    Also, summons, it mentions that their special attacks call for reflex saves (odd in saga edition since its all defense oriented) and I may have missed it but I didn't see any descriptors for what the attacks do

5. - Top - End - #125

BlackDragon

In regards to magic, if you read each spell's description it tells you that you can increase the spell damage or effect by spending certain amount more magic points. This was the best way to convert to saga rules, for example, fire-fira-firaga without making them separate materia or an improved variation of the same materia. This way, if you are low on mp, you cast weak versions of the spell, and if you have plenty of mp you can cast more powerful versions of the spell.

With summons, under each summon stat block there is a tiny bit about the summon's special attack. Its smaller font than the stat block so you can't miss it :D. Also, the bit about reflex save is a typo and needs to be fixed, thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2013-02-10 at 05:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

ElfRangerGuy

I see them now, and I suspected that the increasing cost was to represent higher versions of the spells, I even noticed that Flare has its own materia instead of being a part of fire. Sorry for missing that.
    Did you mean to have any conditions for the summons special attacks? Or can they be used anytime the summon is out? If you wanted special conditions I recommend giving the attacks a little more "oomph" just my opinion

:Double Edit:
    One other opinion I had: you seem to have modeled the scout after Yuffie and Vincent, I would have expected the class to have a bigger mp pool (not Mage/Noble level but still) sorry for this, one of my players would love the scout but hates that they get the worst mp with the fighter. (I may have to house rule it for them, to the annoyance of the rest)
    Last edited by Solidchaos; 2013-02-10 at 09:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

BlackDragon

Thanks pointing both out. With regards to summons, they can use their special attacks as many times as the summoned sees fit but not twice in two successive rounds. In other words, they use the attack one round, not in the second round, then they can use it again in the third, not in the fourth, etc.

I will change the mp pool so that Mage and Rogue are d6, SOLDIER and scout are d4, and Fighter and Noble are d3. Nobles don't need lots of mp as they use their persuasive abilities to get results.

8. - Top - End - #128

ElfRangerGuy

Sounds good, with that I have no further input ATM, I'll ask something if I need clarification or want to toss in extra advice, one last thing: does the summon special attack get stronger as the creature gets stronger? Seems like a fair trade for only being able to use every other round.

9. - Top - End - #129

BlackDragon

Summons receive a +1 bonus to their special attack every time they level up

10. - Top - End - #130

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, my gf is a HUGE Lightning fan (and honestly I am too)
    If and when I get her into this system, she will want to recreate Light's Blazefire Saber (either for her own use or a Lightning cameo), I've seen the unique weapon rules but I've seen nothing that would give a weapon both a melee and ranged form.

11. - Top - End - #131

BlackDragon

She can design the weapon to have both a melee and ranged feature, and add both the slashing and piercing damage types at a cost of 6 construction points. Then finish the weapon's construction as normal.

12. - Top - End - #132

ElfRangerGuy

So it's precisely as simple as I thought, okay then.
    Again I'll ask any other questions or offer advice as I think of it.
    Now that I think of it, have you checked with Viladen at his final fantasy d20 forums? They could also offer some good advice if you ask at the right time.

http://www.finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/index.php
    Here's a link straight to the forums. Just be sure to ask if its okay to post the link for your system there.
    Last edited by Solidchaos; 2013-02-11 at 04:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

BlackDragon

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out shortly

14. - Top - End - #134

ElfRangerGuy

There is something else regarding summon creatures: in their stat blocks you have them listed as the same level some creatures have clearly superior hp despite some having the same constitution modifier and only and extra 15 hp from toughness. (Like each bahamut for example starting from the original: had 198, Fury has 216, SIN has 211 and Zero has 217, despite having all the same con mod)

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

Look in the monster creation chapter of the monster manual, monsters get more hp at 1st level due to their size. When working out their hp for 4th level, I rolled for each monster individually and they came up with different results

16. - Top - End - #136

ElfRangerGuy

Okay I see now (although I'd personally beef up Alexander's CON since he's a living castle lol, he should have the highest con IMO)

17. - Top - End - #137

BlackDragon

Alexander already has the highest possible Con for its level and size.

18. - Top - End - #138

BlackDragon

@Solidchaos: How's your home game coming along?

19. - Top - End - #139

ElfRangerGuy

Made an arrangement with my group, after we finish a couple of different games they'll give it a shot (this is after I make it a birthday request mind you, my group is just that hardcore against fan made systems, one player in particular is finicky as hell, he agrees now but might throw a fit when we actually get around to it)

20. - Top - End - #140

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solidchaos View Post
    Made an arrangement with my group, after we finish a couple of different games they'll give it a shot (this is after I make it a birthday request mind you, my group is just that hardcore against fan made systems, one player in particular is finicky as hell, he agrees now but might throw a fit when we actually get around to it)
    And scratch this: just today after talking both of my regular player decide that they need a break from dnd in general, my gf just isn't a ff fan to my degree (she's only played 13), so I now have no group until further notice.

21. - Top - End - #141

BlackDragon

Ah cool, let me know when you start it and how it goes.

Edit: That's not good hope you get a game arranged soon.
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2013-02-14 at 02:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

BlackDragon

Any more thoughts on the books? Also, what does everyone think of the Chocobo racing system?

23. - Top - End - #143

ElfRangerGuy

I've offered all the advice and opinions I can so far, still need to play test everything (which I still presently have no group for), also sorry for pointing you to those forums, I shoulda remembered that they don't actually respond often...the naruto d20 forums are actually ALOT more active IMO

The more places you advertise, the better your chances for a response
    Last edited by Solidchaos; 2013-02-16 at 09:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

BlackDragon

thanks for the heads up, I'll keep checking from time to time to see if anyone has responded there. Also I'll check out the Naruto d20 forum.

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

Just tried to register with Naruto d20 and it has a weird confirmation text that I have to unscramble. Help?

26. - Top - End - #146

ElfRangerGuy

It's been years since I personally registered, so I don't remember that I'll take a look

27. - Top - End - #147

ElfRangerGuy

Tell me what the message was and I can help unscramble

28. - Top - End - #148

BlackDragon

I can't remember, every time you get it wrong it becomes a different one

29. - Top - End - #149

ElfRangerGuy

I can honestly say that for mine the new registry gave me a confirmation to unscramble, I could make it out to be Uzumaki Naruto (no caps lol), so I think the txt relates to the anime

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

Well, I haven't even heard of Naruto before now so the site will be of no use to me if I can't even register lol. I look around for other d20 forums.