New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy VII D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (version 1.10)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_In_Da_Room View Post
    Well, I haven't even heard of Naruto before now so the site will be of no use to me if I can't even register lol. I look around for other d20 forums.
    In that case, sorry
    Want to see this take off and become more wide spread, but it's clear this isn't making headway in these forums at least

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

That's ok, its not your fault. You didn't know I never heard of Naruto. I'll keep looking out for other potential d20 forums.

3. - Top - End - #153

ElfRangerGuy

One of my friends looked at the materia rules, he and I discussed them and we agree that the rules that prevent dual wielders from using their second weapon for increased materia diversity seems limiting exclusively to dual wielders, they are the only ones who suffer. Thoughts?

As it stands: materia is used as a standard action, forgoing use of the weapon's attack, you can only cast a single spell regardless of number of materia worn, we don't understand why the second weapon has to wait til third level to get materia.
    Last edited by Solidchaos; 2013-02-16 at 12:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

BlackDragon

I was going with the issue of balance. If I made the second weapon able to equip materia from the get go, there could be problems with players abusing this by arming themselves to the teeth with materia, whereas in FF7, you start with very limited materia and you work your way up.

5. - Top - End - #155

ElfRangerGuy

Diversity is power when it comes to magic , my friend just sees that dual wielders get no benefit from dual wielding (especially when the penalties are steeper than pathfinder/3.5 starting out) so he just sees it as a handicap if one cannot benefit from more materia with the second weapon

6. - Top - End - #156

BlackDragon

What would be your solution around this?

7. - Top - End - #157

ElfRangerGuy

Honestly, when magic can only be used as one spell/round, the second weapon should start the materia slots as the main weapon and armor, just ultimately come out with less slots than either

8. - Top - End - #158

ElfRangerGuy

Also, I have a recommendation, not so much for balance but for possible rp enhancement with increase power potential for PCs:

http://www.d20modernpf.com/

This system is good, but I'm just suggesting the use of the flaws/difficulties to add depth to the PCs with the benefit of extra talents (recommend no more than 2 difficulties for no more than 2 extra talents at lvl 1)

9. - Top - End - #159

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solidchaos View Post
    Honestly, when magic can only be used as one spell/round, the second weapon should start the materia slots as the main weapon and armor, just ultimately come out with less slots than either
    Sorry for triple post, but instead of this, think about it this way, between materia costs, weapon costs and armor, not to mention feats in order for certain characters to wield two weapons AND the materia, you shouldn't worry about players arming themselves to the teeth at level 1 unless they have a party Noble (from personal experience, none of my players go anywhere near a non-combat class lol)

10. - Top - End - #160

BlackDragon

I like the idea of flaws/difficulties, and I will incorporate them into the system. The best place to put them is in the heroic classes chapter or make a separate chapter altogether?

On the materia/armour equipping properties, I have now changed it to thus:

WEAPON 1: 1/1/1/2/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/7/7

WEAPON 2: 1/1/1/1/2/2/2/2/3/3/3/3/4/4/4/4/5/5/5/5

ARMOUR: 1/1/2/2/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/6

How does that look?

11. - Top - End - #161

ElfRangerGuy

Overall seems better, I'd personally dumb down weapon 2's final materia count to 4, but that's just me being paranoid about my players going overkill lol, my friend and I were going to go over the system this weekend, I'll keep you posted on any other issues we think of.

12. - Top - End - #162

ElfRangerGuy

I like the idea of flaws/difficulties, and I will incorporate them into the system. The best place to put them is in the heroic classes chapter or make a separate chapter altogether?

On the materia/armour equipping properties, I have now changed it to thus:

WEAPON 1: 1/1/1/2/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/7/7

WEAPON 2: 1/1/1/1/2/2/2/2/3/3/3/3/4/4/4/4/5/5/5/5

ARMOUR: 1/1/2/2/2/2/3/3/3/4/4/4/4/5/5/5/6/6/6/6

How does that look?
    I'm just double posting like crazy today
    But to answer your question, that depends on how many flaws/difficulties you planned on incorporating, either way I think they could go in the heroic description chapter.

13. - Top - End - #163

BlackDragon

Thanks Solidchaos, I'll keep checking back occasionally

14. - Top - End - #164

ElfRangerGuy

Other than the stuff I already pointed out to you, we got nothing as far as balance goes, unfortunately while they were somewhat willing to help me review it, we still need to play test which they are still currently unwilling

15. - Top - End - #165

BlackDragon

Just so everybody knows, i have created a Final Fantasy VII d20 forum website for everyone to discuss my project there . The link is in my signature.

16. - Top - End - #166

ElfRangerGuy

Just so everybody knows, i have created a Final Fantasy VII d20 forum website for everyone to discuss my project there . The link is in my signature.
    Good site design, I'll check out the forums often for updates (I suck at stating monsters for any system), I'll register and make any comments there when I find anything

17. - Top - End - #167

BlackDragon

Thanks Solidchaos, I have added new threads to the forum to make certain aspects of the book more organised.

18. - Top - End - #168

ElfRangerGuy

Thumbs up Re: Final Fantasy VII D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (version 1.10)

Gotta say man, I admire your tenacity to stick with this as long as you have, youve been at this since what, 2010? Longer? You accomplished this much with minimal help, I would've given up after the first month lol.

19. - Top - End - #169

BlackDragon

My problem is that I don't give up lol

20. - Top - End - #170

BlackDragon

As so it keeps in line with SW SAGA ED, im thinking of dropping the SOLDIER base class and have the talent trees moved to the JENOVA and the Cetra chapter, similar to Force talent trees. What does everyone think?

21. - Top - End - #171

ElfRangerGuy

Interesting idea, I'll have to speak with my group and let you know what they think (I assume most of the sword oriented talents would transfer to the fighter and the fighter would gain swords as a starting proficiency?)

22. - Top - End - #172

BlackDragon

Oh yes, indeed they will

23. - Top - End - #173

BlackDragon

Does anyone have any thoughts on the system?

24. - Top - End - #174

ElfRangerGuy

*Has said all could about system*
    My group has given a condition for testing the system in a full game, we need a complete beastiary. Which you are needing help to finish

25. - Top - End - #175

BlackDragon

I'm working as fast as I can lol. Its not so much the stats its the description for each monster that's the main problem. I'm trying to give a good a paragraph for each without it looking too short or a copy-paste job from ff wiki.

26. - Top - End - #176

ElfRangerGuy

Np, not trying to rush, but I do have something to bring up: summons again.

Talking about size categories: When I played Crisis Core, I recall Ifrit being big, but not Huge he was probably Large, same for Bahamut (huge at most). Bahamut Fury was likely Huge (Gargantuan at most), and for Alexander, there is no clear example of his size in FF7, but he is CLEARLY bigger than Bahamut in FF9 and most of the time, summons keep their sizes from other games, he was most definitely colossal there.

EDIT: on an unrelated note, your site forums seems to have picked up a spammer
    EDIT 2: SpamBOTS, apparently, cuz they are going to town on your forums, may want to clear that up or switch forum servers or something.
    Last edited by Solidchaos; 2013-03-06 at 04:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

BlackDragon

Thanks for letting me know on both accounts, I'll make the changes and sort out the spammers.

28. - Top - End - #178

ElfRangerGuy

Happy to help however I can

Also, requesting some clarification on which SOLDIER talents are going to become 'force talents' as per Saga Edition and which ones will become fighter talents. (I personally think that ambusher talent tree seems more like a rogue or scout tree, and the Sword tree seems more fighterish, with the breaker falling more under SOLDIER exclusive 'force talent' style)
    Finally, I've noticed that most of your talent trees consist of pre-existing material from SW Saga, have you considered using the squad leader talent tree from the Clone Wars guide? As a sort of means of recreating the lesser AVALANCHE crew (or reasonable substitutes for players doing their own game) with Aggressive, Defensive and Utility followers?

29. - Top - End - #179

BlackDragon

I made Ambusher a Scout talent tree but the SOLDIER and Breaker trees are now Mako talent trees, along with a new talent tree I have rightfully named JENOVA talent tree.

Also, I have considered followers but in the end I didn't like that idea. That's why I went with the reputation system from the SW revised core.

30. - Top - End - #180

ElfRangerGuy

I made Ambusher a Scout talent tree but the SOLDIER and Breaker trees are now Mako talent trees, along with a new talent tree I have rightfully named JENOVA talent tree.

Also, I have considered followers but in the end I didn't like that idea. That's why I went with the reputation system from the SW revised core.
    Your system your call, if and when we start a game with this tho, I'll use followers as a house rule and let you know how it goes.