New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Hammernators in a Caestus assault ram?

Forge World to the rescue!
    Fast Skimmers to the rescue. Its weird how many of the game's problems are solved with Fast Skimmers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-02-17 at 08:12 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Fast Skimmers to the rescue. Its weird how many of the game's problems are solved with Fast Skimmers.
    Fast skimmers that carry 10 Terminators with afterburners.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Fast skimmers that carry 10 Terminators with afterburners.
    Fast skimmers that can carry 10 Terminators with afterburners and Assault Vehicle.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys I have been building up my guard army and I was just wondering what is the best set up for heavy weapons in the squads. I am guessing it is autocannons because at BS3 you are going to be wasting a lot of lascannon or missile launcher shots if you take them.

Basically my 1000pts army so far is
    -Command squad
    -veteran squad
    -Platoon with 4 infantry squads
    -2 basilisks
    -1 demolisher

I dont have any solid anti tank yet but I am planning on taking vendettas as anti tank in my 1500pts list. So are autocannons the best bet?
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, its weird how many of the game's problems are caused by vehicles.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    Hey guys I have been building up my guard army and I was just wondering what is the best set up for heavy weapons in the squads. I am guessing it is autocannons because at BS3 you are going to be wasting a lot of lascannon or missile launcher shots if you take them.

Basically my 1000pts army so far is
    -Command squad
    -veteran squad
    -Platoon with 4 infantry squads
    -2 basilisks
    -1 demolisher

I dont have any solid anti tank yet but I am planning on taking vendettas as anti tank in my 1500pts list. So are autocannons the best bet?
    Basilisks and Demolishers are quite solid anti-tank, actually. (Really they're anti-everything, but yeah.)

Lascannons are actually a fairly good bet with a company command squad in the mix, since you can make them twin-linked with orders. Autocannons are also good. I usually run some of each.
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Alternatively, its weird how many of the game's problems are caused by vehicles.
    Go get yourself an RPG-7 and plink away at a modern main battle tank for awhile. Then come back and tell me how easy killing one should be. If anything, the game models tanks as too fragile.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-02-18 at 11:34 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Go get yourself an RPG-7 and plink away at a modern main battle tank for awhile. Then come back and tell me how easy killing one should be. If anything, the game models tanks as too fragile.
    Well, thats something that unfortunately is overcompensated for by how cheap they are

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay, 500 point tournament coming up in the next few weeks. I figure, hey, it's 500 points. I could start any army I wanted and have it painted by then. This'll be easy.

Imperial Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Commissar - 80 Points
    Camo Cloak

Veterans - 155 Points
    x3 Meltaguns
    + Chimera

Veterans - 155 Points
    x3 Meltaguns
    + Chimera

Sentinels (x3) - 110 Points
    x1 Heavy Flamer

Blood Angels
    Spoiler
    Show
    Librarian - 100 Points

Sanguinary Priest - 65 Points
    Power Weapon

Assault Squad (x5) - 170 Points
    Meltagun
    Sergeant; Melta Bombs
    + Plaserback

Assault Squad (x5) - 165 Points
    Meltagun
    + Plaserback

Space Wolves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rune Priest - 100 Points

Grey Hunters (x5) - 155 Points
    Meltagun
    + Plaserback

Grey Hunters (x5) - 155 Points
    Meltagun
    + Plaserback

Long Fangs (x4) - 90 Points
    x3 Missile Launchers
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #69

Basilisks and Demolishers are quite solid anti-tank, actually. (Really they're anti-everything, but yeah.)

Lascannons are actually a fairly good bet with a company command squad in the mix, since you can make them twin-linked with orders. Autocannons are also good. I usually run some of each.

I'll try them out as such.The range on the demolisher will be the only issue. Luckily so far I havent had to play against any vehicles, only mephiston, 20 assault marines and 10 devastators... Wait, thats worse.

Good point. I keep on thinking of guard as individual units without support from their commanders. I have been playing space marines too long. For now I will run two and two and see how that goes.

The problem then arises, is an rpg-7 firing at a M1a1 equivalent to a missile launcher firing at a leman russ? Also for a table top game they are trying to make it fun to play not overly realistic.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

So what about this list? 82 models, three tanks. 6 meltas, 6 joakero, two plasma guns and two psycannons for anti-armour.

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Coteaz 100

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Rourke 101
    Rad Grenades, dude.
    Combi Bolter-melta.
    Psyker- Force Sword, Hammerhand.
    Power Armour.
    Servo-skull

ELITES
    Purifier squad -202
    2 extra purifiers
    2 Psycannons
    3 Halberds
    2 Demon Hammers

Vindicare assassin-145

Techpreist- 113
    Rad grenades
    Halberd
    Storm bolter

TROOPS
    Henchman squad- 147
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -9 Storm Bolters
    -1 plasma gun

Henchman squad- 147
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -9 Storm Bolters
    -1 plasma gun

Henchman squad- 195
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -Storm Bolters
    Chimera (For the purifiers)

Henchman squad- 180
    3 Crusaders
    9 Warriors
    -3 Meltaguns
    -6 Storm bolters
    Chimera

Henchman squad- 180
    3 Crusaders
    9 Warriors
    -3 Meltaguns
    -6 Storm bolters
    Chimera

1500 points exactly

The two plasma guns in the henchmen squads are...*shrug*. I had 20 points spare and two models with plasma guns. Plus, that frees me enough points for the servo-skull and storm bolter. If conventional wisdom is that plasma guns are too unreliable i'll find some meltas somewhere. Most likely in a shop.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2012-02-19 at 01:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Seriously, they're good. AP2, Rapid Fire, wounds most things on 2+. Just keep in mind that they're anti-infantry guns that happen to be useful against tanks, and you should be quite pleased with the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Necron Battleforce has been announced

My thoughts; You're getting 3 troop choices, a dedicated transport, and a fast attack choice. However, the immortals are the only really good things in there (I remain skeptical about the usefulness of the Ghost Ark, as I've said before).

Costwise, the Ghost Ark is about 25% off, and the extra warriors and scarabs are free.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-02-19 at 01:50 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    The Necron Battleforce has been announced

My thoughts; You're getting 3 troop choices, a dedicated transport, and a fast attack choice. However, the immortals are the only really good things in there (I remain skeptical about the usefulness of the Ghost Ark, as I've said before).

Costwise, the Ghost Ark is about 25% off, and the extra warriors and scarabs are free.
    Something else that this indicates, which has been a question for me at least, is that it says in the description that you can also make the immortals deathmarks, and you can make the ghost ark a doomsday ark.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Yes?

Most new packs can be used to make 2 different units.

15. - Top - End - #75

I'll try them out as such.The range on the demolisher will be the only issue. Luckily so far I havent had to play against any vehicles, only mephiston, 20 assault marines and 10 devastators... Wait, thats worse.
    Demolishers take a lot of finesse and a good sense of distance to use. I haven't mastered the art; I have a tendency to get mine too close and then assaulted to death. If you can skirt at the edge of the cannon's range, though, you're golden. If you take multimeltas, don't worry too much about melta range; it's still an AP1 missile launcher at 24".

With Basilisks, don't forget that barrage always hits the side armor of a vehicle, to represent the top armor. Combined with it being S9 Ordnance, that'll kill most things short of a Land Raider with considerable ease.
    Good point. I keep on thinking of guard as individual units without support from their commanders. I have been playing space marines too long. For now I will run two and two and see how that goes.
    One Company Command Squad gets two orders per turn. If you blob up your infantry squads with heavy weapons, one order gets all of them. You can then use your second HQ slot for something else (or for another CCS tooled up to murder stuff with a Chimera so you don't have to worry about keeping them near the heavy weapons) or just save points for more troops.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2012-02-19 at 08:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, 500 points of Imperial Guard. I'm basically down to these two;

EDIT;
    Cancel everything. This is what I'm doing.

Mordian style!

Spoiler
    Show
    Company Command - 70 Points
    Lascannon, x2 Grenade Launchers

Ratlings (x5) - 50 Points

Marbo - 65 Points

Veteran Squad - 105 Points
    Lascannon, x3 Grenade Launchers

Total: 500 points
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-02-20 at 06:38 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #77

Griffon

Have to admit, I'm slightly surprised to see Marbo in there.
    From experience I know that he's the ultimate suicide unit and is to be feared, but I've also seen a lot of criticism about him. Least of all, because for the same price you could have another unit of Ratlings, and bodies always count in small games.

Having said that.... Scary. Unless someone comes at you with 500 points worth of Ork/Tyranid Swarm, someone is going to go home crying. And even then you might get away with it....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Having said that.... Scary. Unless someone comes at you with 500 points worth of Ork/Tyranid Swarm, someone is going to go home crying. And even then you might get away with it....
    Originally it was

Command Squad - 70 Points

x3 Grenade Launchers, Lascannon

And just 4 Veteran Squads. Equals 490. Anybody who says the Guard Codex isn't broken, hasn't read it. I swapped a Veteran Squad for two squads of Ratlings, since these are Mordians* (Veterans on Foot, Grenade Launcher, Lascannon spam) and Ratlings were easier on the wallet - I'm essentially building a new 500 point army in a month. But, then I've found out something really, really terrifying with Parking Lot armies; What happens when your opponent leaves LoS? Nothing. That's what. Which is where Marbo comes in.

Alternatively, I can drop the Ratlings and Marbo and go for something similar to my original list and use Sentinels.

* Sauce: Imperial Guard 4th Edition. I can do the list with Cadians. But I really, really want my Mail Order to come so I can rock up with Mordians, since nobody really has those anymore.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-02-20 at 07:36 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yes?

Most new packs can be used to make 2 different units.
    Sure, but I thought I saw some people(and was curious myself), if the battleforces just included the sprues needed to create the listed models, or if they were in fact the dual-purpose sprues. I may just be out of date in my realization.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I need some advice on 750 points lists. I'll be going to a doubles tournament (750x2) a few weeks from now and I'd like some feedback on my list. The rules are: Rules/abilities only affect your own army, 33 total armor value max, no special characters. I can't remember much else off the top of my head.

So far, my possible lists are:
    CSM:
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ: Daemon Prince, Wings, Mark of Slaneesh, Lash. 155

Troops:
    5x Plaguemarines, 2x Plasma/meltagun (not sure which), Rhino with dozer blades. 175-185

5x Plaguemarines, 2x Plasma/meltagun (not sure which), Rhino with dozer blades. 175-185

HS:
    3x Obliterators, 225

If I go for the cheaper option, I'll ad combiweapons to the rhinos.

IG:
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ:
    Primaris Psyker

Troops:
    Veteran Squad, 3x Plasmagun, Chimera with a hull HF. 170

HS:
    Manticore: 160 or something similar in points cost.

My teammate will probably be playing Spave Wolves with some long fangs and something. Since I realized I only have Leman Russes in addition to the veterans for IG and I don't really want to get more minis I'll probably go with the CSM list.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    ...I don't really want to get more minis I'll probably go with the CSM list.
    Just to check, what sort of advice are you looking for?
    If it's deciding between the two, it may depend on what your partner is fielding. With the assumption it is standard missions, if he has a decent number of Troops choices, Chaos is the way to go. What it lacks in hitting power it makes up for in resiliency, and when you park a Rhino of Plague Marines on an objective, you know the opposition will have to work hard to shift them. That said, you will only be able to cover two objectives max from your side.
    On the up side, Lash + Long Fangs with missile launchers will ruin infantry from a distance, and when the time comes Lash will help the Space Wolves set up how combat will run, either setting up a charge or delaying the inevitable.
    If you do go Chaos, I would recommend the plasma on the marines. The Obliterators will do well against any tanks you see, and that AV 33 Max rule removes one of the big drawbacks plasma suffers - being unable to damage AV14. Also, if all the Heavy slots are not filled, split the Obliterators into separate units to increase flexibility.

If your partner has got the route of minimal Troops, it may be worth going the route of IG, as the fast moving Troops will prove to be a great boon in objectives missions. Just make sure he has the anti tank to fill the gap of those obliterators.

Overall though, I would probably go for the Chaos in most cases. Obliterators are great in these situations as they can adapt for whatever the enemy is, and you can pull off truly nasty tricks such as Lashing units into a conga line followed with Jaws of the World Wolf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, here's what's up; It seems that due to nearly 100% of my army coming from Mail Order, and I'll pretty much be unable to find anyone to play test 500 point lists with, I'm giving you Playgrounders - yes, you! - the ability to decide my army for me.

Core List:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Company Command - 70 Points

Total: 385 Points

Essentially, I have 115 Points to play with. The problem with this list, is it's inability to deal with anything outside of LoS. Nothing is mobile, nothing can Infiltrate/Outflank for angles or anything. One interesting thing I decided was that Harker and Chimera were 110 Points, and I can drop one Veteran Squad to two Flamers and a Heavy Flamer for 100 Points with ten points left.

100 Points is also enough for a Valkyrie, drop the 'Nade Launchers and Lascannon for Meltaguns and in the end have 20 points left over? Or perhaps even drop a Lascannon and have a Grenade team in a Vendetta? A Gunship is an incredible centerpiece for 500 points.

Another idea (and presently the one I'm going with) is Marbo and 5 Ratlings.

Anyway, go for it Playgrounders;
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Stuff I should include | Stuff I can't include
    Psykers | Priests (crap)
    Ratlings | Techpriests (crap)
    More Veterans | Storm Troopers
    Doctrines | Ogryns (crap)
    Bastonne | Rough Riders (crap)[/table]

Of the list on the right, the only choice I kind of, sort of miss is Strom Troopers for their 95 Point Infiltrating, Pinning Melta-teams. But, 95 points is kind of a lot for only 5 models out of the Guard Codex so I'm not particularly bothered. Keep in mind that I decided I liked Mordians before I found my old Codex and realised that they had, like, no downsides.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd have to say Ratlings.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Anyway, go for it Playgrounders;
    It seems to me like the simplest solution is to mount up. That may not be what you're going for, but, you know, objective based games. My first instinct is 2x Chimera, but I also prioritize army ascetics and I have to say that in your position, I'd go for the gunship; centerpieces are a great thing to have.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Tyrannofex/Tervigon:

Spoiler
    Show

New Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord/Winged Tyrant:

Spoiler
    Show

Harpy:
    Derp, Italliano fail - el Tyranno dell'alveare is obviously not Harpy. I do like that the Swarmlord is basically Seņor Swarm, but Itallian. All I can think of is him eating a dude with a flamer and going "eh, that's a spicy meatball!"

Thunderwooolves hoooo!!!

Spoiler
    Show

Fenrisian wolves:

Spoiler
    Show

Group shots:

Spoiler
    Show

All kits above are plastic.

Price info (USD? not sure if this is a conversion of the magazine's prices or what):
    Tyranid Hive Tyrant / The Swarmlord 3-Mar-12 $53.75 New Plastic
    Tyranid Tyrannofex / Tervigon 3-Mar-12 $57.75 New Plastic
    Tyranid Boneswords Pack 3 x 'Pair of Boneswords' 3-Mar-12 $19.75 New Resin
    Tyranid Lash Whip & Bonesword Pack 3 x 'Lash Whip & Bonesword' 3-Mar-12 $19.75 New Resin
    Deathleaper 1 Fig Box 3-Mar-12 $24.75 Repackaged Resin
    Old One Eye 1 Fig Box 3-Mar-12 $41.25 Repackaged Resin
    Tyranid Biovore 1 Fig Box 3-Mar-12 $41.25 Repackaged Resin
    Tyranid Spore Mine Cluster 9 Fig Box 3-Mar-12 $24.75 Repackaged Resin
    The Red Terror 1 Fig Box 3-Mar-12 $41.25 Repackaged Resin
    Tyranid Ripper Swarm Brood 1 Base Clampack 3-Mar-12 $13.25 Repackaged Resin

via Fresh Coast 40k and Faet212
    Last edited by Zorg; 2012-02-21 at 11:55 AM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Tyrannofex/Tervigon:

New Hive Tyrant/Swarmlord:

Harpy:

Thunderwooolves hoooo!!!

Fenrisian wolves:

Thunderwooolves hoooo!!!

Thunderwooolves
    plastic.
    THUNDERWOLVES!!!
    PLASTIC!!!!
    ffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. .......I just bought 5 resin thunderwolves....for, like, more than I could get 5 of these. It's a shame I can't return them!
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2012-02-21 at 11:46 AM.
    ~ZA

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oo, I really like those Fenrisian Wolf sculpts.... but are those on terminator bases? That strikes me as an odd choice, from a design standpoint. Oh well.

28. - Top - End - #88

Tervigoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooon!

woooooooooooo!

yay!

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BoSheck View Post
    Oo, I really like those Fenrisian Wolf sculpts.... but are those on terminator bases? That strikes me as an odd choice, from a design standpoint. Oh well.
    No, the regular wolves are on normal bases. The Thundwolf cavelry are on terminator bases, but that's to be expected of a wolf capable of carrying a power-armored space marine. You can get a clear picture of this if you find the one with the THunderwolf Canis Wolfborn flanked by the two fenrisian wolves
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-02-21 at 01:13 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sweet, new models, and ones that have been in demand for a while!