New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I thought there was a limit, something like 3 per army? Also, I own 2 Battle-suits.
    You can have 1-3 suits in a Crisis Team. Each team takes up an Elites slot, of which you have three. Futhermore, your Commander should be piloting a Crisis suit of his own (unless you took the Forgeworld commander in the Hazard suit) and can be accompanied by two Crisis bodyguards. With two HQ slots, that lets you take another six suits for a total of fifteen suits maximum.

Does anyone know when Tau will get another codex? Since as far as I know only Tau and Necrons don't have codex's. (Okay, Necron's do have a codex, but it was written by Anti-Christ, AKA Matt Ward)
    The Necron codex is apparently pretty good, actually. Not so much borked fluff and LOLbroken as the Grey Knights have.

Tau are theorised to be within the year, hopefully, but more likely sometime in 2013. But we honestly have no idea, since GW are currently operating under a rather stupid policy of not announcing anything until a week or so before the release.

Also, what are so good about Pathfinders? All I see are an extra 6 inches of movement on the first turn for more points with a worse gun.
    And will I be allowed to use Fire Warrior figures for Pathfinders?
    Markerlights. You take Pathfinders for Markerlights. Considering most of your army is BS3, being able to use Markerlights to boost your BS or remove Cover saves is really, really good.

If only Pathfinders didn't have to take a useless Devilfish.

I have played little of WH40K, but I thought Orks would be Tier 4, since they are quite expensive to get aren't they?
    And why are Tyranids weak?
    And does Tier 1d4+1 mean the strength is random due to how they deploy?
    Orks? Expensive? Not really. Considering how much converting you can get away with, Orks can actually be pretty cheap. And cost doesn't enter into how good an army is. Imperial Guard are the most expensive army by far, but are also possibly the strongest.

Tyranids are weak for two big reasons. The first is their highly limited anti-tank - in the current edition, vehicles are very strong and a lot of armies can get a lot of vehicles for very few points. 'Nids simply don't have enough guns capable of cracking open those vehicles, and the ones they do have, tend to have some major downsides.

The second reason is that GW hates 'Nids. They lost a lot of options from the previous edition and were given massive price increases on most of their good stuff. Which wasn't too bad, initially. But then GW released an errata document for them which nerfed them into the ground, with basically every ruling in it being against the 'Nids.

Tier 1d4+1 means that Daemons are really, really random. They can be unstoppable or pathetic, entirely depending on a few choice rolls.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-02-29 at 03:56 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XV: "More People Should Be Punched In The Head."

I thought there was a limit, something like 3 per army? Also, I own 2 Battle-suits.

Does anyone know when Tau will get another codex? Since as far as I know only Tau and Necrons don't have codex's. (Okay, Necron's do have a codex, but it was written by Anti-Christ, AKA Matt Ward)

Also, what are so good about Pathfinders? All I see are an extra 6 inches of movement on the first turn for more points with a worse gun.
    And will I be allowed to use Fire Warrior figures for Pathfinders?
    I suggest you read through the rules a bit more thoroughly so get a better understanding of all the units. If you havent got a rulebook yet then you can always go into games-workshop and read the stores open copy.

Tau can have a maximum of 15 crisis suits in a regular army and a maximum of 21 in a farsight army. Crisis suits are the workhorse of a tau army. Along with broadsides and hammerheads they are the ones doing the killing. Everything else is basically just there as support.

So what you want to do is have your two troops minimum and never get more than that. Get a unit of pathfinders, a unit of broadsides, maybe a hammerhead and then as many suits as the rest of your list can fit.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Markerlights. You take Pathfinders for Markerlights. Considering most of your army is BS3, being able to use Markerlights to boost your BS or remove Cover saves is really, really good.

If only Pathfinders didn't have to take a useless Devilfish.
    This. Six Pathfinders with average to-hit rolls double the damage output of whatever unit you choose to use them to boost. This is not to be underestimated, given that the Pathfinders cost ~70 points and the boosted unit will cost somewhere in the region of twice that. Force multipliers are really, really good and Markerlights are among the best force multipliers in the game. Better than Orders, even, and almost better than a Farseer.

To be fair, though, those 'Fish are only useless if you let them be. Run a couple of Fire Warrior squads to jump inside and they'll pull their weight well enough. Also, they let you reroll the scatter dice of any unit Deep Striking within LOS of them. For free. They singlehandedly make deep-striking Fusion suits viable, and said suits are plenty effective.

Edit: Ricky S.: You're very wrong on the "Never more than your two minimum Troops" statement. Tau can't play for the "Wipe the enemy off the board" victory; we just don't have the offensive firepower to do it. Tau need Troops more than just about any other faction, even though our Troops choices are among the worst in the game. I would never run less than three above 1000 points, four above 1500 and all six above 2000. Anything less and your opponent just wipes them out and laughs at you because the best you can now do is draw the game.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-02-29 at 05:48 PM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is it just me, or are almost all the 40k articles on the Games Workshop website gone without a trace?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky S View Post
    So what you want to do is have your two troops minimum and never get more than that. Get a unit of pathfinders, a unit of broadsides, maybe a hammerhead and then as many suits as the rest of your list can fit.
    Nope.

Like DaedalusMkV mentioned, Tau can't aim for annihilation victories. We need to have scoring units, even if they're terrible. Fortunately, Kroot are at least cheap. So a Tau troops selection is usually the one unit of six Fire Warriors to hide in the Pathfinders' Devilfish, then a bunch of cheap Kroot units.

Futhermore, buying a couple more turns for your suits to fire? Totally worth 70 points of Kroot. Kroot bubblewrap is a very important Tau tactic. In this, at least, Kroot have a use.

Also, Farsight is a trap. He limits your ability to field Railguns (which Tau live and die by) in exchange for a single massive deathstar of Crisis Suits. And a singularly underwhelming deathstar at that. This is bad.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We need to have scoring units, even if they're terrible. Fortunately, Kroot are at least cheap. So a Tau troops selection is usually the one unit of six Fire Warriors to hide in the Pathfinders' Devilfish, then a bunch of cheap Kroot units.
    On the other hand, I'm told that Pathfinders are junk and you just shouldn't take them. The Devilfish is the same no matter what squad you get it with (Fire Warriors), but, at least the unit you want in it can start the game or enter Reserve (so your FWs don't get shot) in the vehicle they actually want to be in.

I see;
    Small unit with Marker Drones in Devilfish
    Small unit with Marker Drones in Devilfish
    Kroot
    Kroot

7-9 Crisis Suits (inc. Commander)
    6-9 Broadsides

Wall of Piranhas.

Generally a PitA. I've never lost to it, but there are a few people who have. The gist of the idea is that if you need as many Markerlights as there are on Pathfinders on one target, chances are you shouldn't be trying. If you need more than 2-3 Markerlights (+1 BS, -2 Cover Save) it's time to rewrite your list.

But, that's from my resident Tau player.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    But, that's from my resident Tau player.
    Your resident Tau player is at best a fool, and at worst an active cheater. Markerlights have to roll to hit; getting that +1 BS and -2 cover requires six 'Lights; conveniently exactly the same number as are in a minimum-strength Pathfinder squad. More importantly, Markerlights are Heavy weapons, and Drones have the unit type of whatever unit they're attached to, so Marker Drones attached to Fire Warriors or Broadsides do not have Relentless. Those Devilfish-mounted squads cannot fire their 'Lights the turn they leave their vehicles, and if his opponent is giving his six-man squad a turn unmolested he's a failure as a player. Those two Marker Drones attached to each Fire Warrior unit? 12 points less than the cost of a six-strong Pathfinder squad, which each offer three times as many Markerlights at exactly the same BS and allow their Devilfish to grant the aforementioned Deep Strike rerolls absolutely free. I've been over the benefits of Marker Drones quite a few times; the only time they're ever even remotely worth using is attached to minimum-strength Stealth Suit teams, turning the unit into an ultra-expensive, high mobility, hard to target Pathfinder team. And even then you're better off just taking Pathfinders and using your Elites slot to take more Crisis Suits unless your entire metagame is gunline armies.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gentlemen. Ladies. Mushrooms. There will be a tournament at one of my local game stores in about 3 weeks, and I would like some suggestions for what I ought to play, and how I may want to build my army.

Point Limit: 1850 points
    No Forge World Rules allowed.
    All games are the normal random-length, and as far as I know, there are no restrictions on USR's.
    The tournament will consist of THREE of the following games. I will not know exactly which ones are being used until the day of the tournament.

{table]Game|Deployment|Primary Objective|Secondary Objective|Tertiary Objective
    1|Spearhead|Annialation|Table Quarters|Have HQ within 6" of Center
    2|Pitched Battle|Destroy 50%+ of foe's PRE-DEPLOYMENT kill points|Seize 3 Objectives (1 center, 1 each DZ)|Most units wholly within enemy DZ
    3|Pitched Battle|Annialation|Seize Ground (5 objectives)|Destroy one enemy unit determined before Deployment (no picking dedicated transports)
    4|Dawn of War|Annialation|Seize Some Ground (your own DZ, see below)|Seize More Ground (your foe's DZ, see below)
    [/table]

For Game 4, each play must place 1 objective in their own DZ, then place TWO objectives in the opponent's DZ. The two mission objectives related to this are scored separately--the first for how one faired in their own DZ, and the second for how one faired in their opponent's DZ.

Any ideas? I have Marines (which can be any flavor except Grey Knights) and Orks. I have access to Sisters of Battle and Tyranids, assuming those guys don't join the tournament themselves.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2012-03-01 at 02:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Your resident Tau player is at best a fool, and at worst an active cheater.
    Not that I've ever seen him cheat. Like I said, I beat him every time. As for calling him a fool, well, he still plays Tau.

Markerlights have to roll to hit; getting that +1 BS and -2 cover requires six 'Lights; conveniently exactly the same number as are in a minimum-strength Pathfinder squad.
    Pathfinders are minimum 4.

Pathfinders (x4) in Devilfish with Disruption Pods - 133 Points
    Piranhas (x2, in seperate slots) with Fusion Blasters - 130 Points

I mean, you can take six Pathfinders, but the Piranhas are still going to stay the same cost (cheap). Which is a factor when you want to spam 'Suits and Broadsides - which you do.

Keep in mind that neither Pathfinders nor Devilfish do much damage - if any - to vehicles. Maybe that's why all the top Tau players (of which there aren't enough) run Pathfinders...Oh? They don't. Pathfinders also have the particular disadvantage of being the bad kind of Fast Attack - 'Troops that don't Score'. If you want Pathfinders, take more Warriors - or even Kroot. As has been mentioned a few times in this very thread, Pathfinders are the very first thing to die in your army to die if your opponent knows anything at all. So, if they aren't doing anything, then what's the point in having them?

More importantly, Markerlights are Heavy weapons, and Drones have the unit type of whatever unit they're attached to, so Marker Drones attached to Fire Warriors or Broadsides do not have Relentless.
    Then the Marker Drones are attached to Crisis Teams. I know they're there and I know they get fired.
    EDIT: Or not. I forget. Again, Fire Warriors and Devilfish do nothing when your opponent has 'Meched Up, Son' and the Markerlights give them something to do.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-03-01 at 07:38 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nope.

Like DaedalusMkV mentioned, Tau can't aim for annihilation victories. We need to have scoring units, even if they're terrible. Fortunately, Kroot are at least cheap. So a Tau troops selection is usually the one unit of six Fire Warriors to hide in the Pathfinders' Devilfish, then a bunch of cheap Kroot units.

Futhermore, buying a couple more turns for your suits to fire? Totally worth 70 points of Kroot. Kroot bubblewrap is a very important Tau tactic. In this, at least, Kroot have a use.

Also, Farsight is a trap. He limits your ability to field Railguns (which Tau live and die by) in exchange for a single massive deathstar of Crisis Suits. And a singularly underwhelming deathstar at that. This is bad.
    But you have two. Buying more troops is an utter waste of points in tau. If you want to make them last longer then buy them a devilfish (which I consider to be a waste of points anyway). The idea is you have both units camp on the objective/s and go to ground if they get shot at. The rest of the army holds off the enemy and then contests the enemy objective/s.

I disagree with farsight being a trap. You dont have to run a giant unit. When I take him, I take him, 2 bodyguards and attach a regular commander to the squad as well. That way you have a deadly unit but it doesnt cost half your army.

He is awesome in combat (for a tau) and can hold his own against a lot of units in 40k. 5 str 5 power weapon attacks is nothing to sniff at and he really comes into his own against vehicles. You hardly lose out on railguns anyway. You can still have 4.
    Lillien Lemmerin:http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=111721

Member of the Mr Scruffy fan club

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

But you have two. Buying more troops is an utter waste of points in tau. If you want to make them last longer then buy them a devilfish (which I consider to be a waste of points anyway). The idea is you have both units camp on the objective/s and go to ground if they get shot at. The rest of the army holds off the enemy and then contests the enemy objective/s.
    Two troops is not enough. Particularly Tau troops, they're far too fragile.

If an enemy can deal with six units of Marines in Razorbacks, they can kill two six-man Fire Warrior units in Devilfishes. They can probably kill a unit of Fire Warriors in a Devilfish and forty Kroot too, but at least it'll be a little harder and you might have something left to claim an objective come turn 5.

This because your opponent is going to make killing your troops their priority. Even more so if you only have two of them, because then they know they only have to kill two relatively fragile units to remove any chance of your victory. Which is very bad for you.

I disagree with farsight being a trap. You dont have to run a giant unit. When I take him, I take him, 2 bodyguards and attach a regular commander to the squad as well. That way you have a deadly unit but it doesnt cost half your army.

He is awesome in combat (for a tau) and can hold his own against a lot of units in 40k. 5 str 5 power weapon attacks is nothing to sniff at and he really comes into his own against vehicles. You hardly lose out on railguns anyway. You can still have 4.
    You do realise that a regular Shas'El/Shas'O can have up to two bodyguards anyway, right? There's no need to use Farsight if you're only taking the two bodyguards. You either take a small number of them, which can be done with a regular Commander for less points, or make a massive deathstar, which is hideously inefficient.

He's awesome in combat for a Tau. That's still pretty terrible though, and running him into combat is a waste of his Retinue, which, being standard Crisis Shas'Vre, should be shooting, not locked in combat.

And you do loose out on Railguns. At the minimum points level you can take Farsight at - which is to say 1500 - you should be running between five and seven Railguns, because Railguns are really, really good. At higher points levels, i.e. once you've maxed out on Crisis Team and Broadsides, not being able to take a second unit of Pathfinders or Piranhas is also a notable downside. The lack of Kroot also cripples you, both by removing the slightly-less-bad of your two troops choices, and by removing the primary bubblewrap unit for protecting your heavy-hitters. And all of that, in exchange for an overpriced Power weapon and a slightly larger bodyguard? No thank you.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-01 at 08:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Tier 1: Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves, Blood Angels
    Tier 2: Codex: Space Marines, Grey Knights, Dark Angels, Black Templars, Necrons
    Tier 3: Orks, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines, Sisters of Battle
    Tier 4: Tau, Tyranids
    Tier 1d4+1: Chaos Demons
    That list looks familiar.

Funnily enough, Elsewhere On The Internet just posted something today about what the most competitive armies in 40K were - and I tend to trust that guy when it comes to this sort of thing. Even if he is a bit of a Grayson - most of the highly competitive, no-comp players are, though.

His list doesn't look much like the one I've posted. But, his list boils down to 'good' vs. 'not good', rather than varying degrees of goodness. And Tau are in the 'good' section of the list (related to the Playground; Pathfinders are not on the list) albeit at the very bottom of 'good'. Wheras Dark Eldar are in the 'bad' category.

No surprises though; Blood Angels are best and Tyranids are worst.

Although, again, I feel I need to point out just for clarity that the 'Tiers' above are based on how many options those Codecies have available, in relation to how good those options are. In that sense, Tau still has only one viable build regardless of how good it is.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-03-01 at 09:01 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Even if he is a bit of a Grayson - most of the highly competitive, no-comp players are, though.
    *raises hand*

What's a Grayson?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    *raises hand*

What's a Grayson?
    You know Robin, from Batman? Whose last name is Grayson? Find out his given name, and you'll have your answer.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #195
    Halfling in the Playground

Again, Fire Warriors and Devilfish do nothing when your opponent has 'Meched Up, Son' and the Markerlights give them something to do.
    Pulse Rifles have S5 and 30 range. They can still glance the heck out of razors and rhinos.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maglag View Post
    Pulse Rifles have S5 and 30 range. They can still glance the heck out of razors and rhinos.
    In theory, anyway.

In practice, Fire Warriors have problems glancing Rhinos and Razorbacks for the same reasons they have problems killing infantry. Which is to say, they have BS3 and still cost double-digit points per model.

Now, theoretically, you could compensate for that, either by using Markerlights or taking more Fire Warriors. But seven more Fire Warriors equals a whole 'nother Broadside, and the Broadside has much better odds of doing something. A Markerlights could be spent on units that would benefit from them a lot more effectively.

<-- Complains about how terrible Tau are all the time. <-- How you know he's a Tau fan.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-01 at 05:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You'd think so. But they don't. As terrible as it is, the Math Hammer* suggests that a minimum squad of 6 (right, that's what you have?) only gives one Glancing or Penetrating Hit. Most of the good armies in 1500 points are churning out 10 vehicles. One squad of Fire Warriors barely managing to Penetrate Rhinos are hardly a concern.

* While I hate it, people never seem to listen to my anecdotal evidence that says that Fire Warriors never glance vehicles. So, inb4 people taking 'never' literally and just giving a sample size of 6 - which is totally reliable.

Which is to say, they have BS3 and still cost double-digit points per model.
    I don't think I understand how their points cost factors into their inability to shoot tanks.

Complains about how terrible Tau are all the time. <-- How you know he's a Tau fan.
    Basically, if people complain a lot about something, it's probably because they actually like it and want it to be better.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I understand how their points cost factors into their inability to shoot tanks.
    BS3 isn't too much of a drawback on it's own, because that usually means you can compensate with numbers (see: Imperial Guard). But you can't do that with Fire Warriors because each model costs too much.

If they were cheap enough that you could field multiple large units of them, they'd be a decent deterrent to light vehicles (and they could kill infantry too!).
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-01 at 07:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

BS3 isn't too much of a drawback on it's own, because that usually means you can compensate with numbers (see: Imperial Guard).
    Imperial Guard don't compensate for their lasguns with numbers. No matter how many lasguns you've got, you still can't penetrate AV10. Imperial Guard compensate for their lasguns with Lascannons.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Imperial Guard don't compensate for their lasguns with numbers. No matter how many lasguns you've got, you still can't penetrate AV10. Imperial Guard compensate for their lasguns with Lascannons.
    I meant it a little more generally, in the sense that they make up for their Lascannons being BS3 by have considerably more of them than the Marines do.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Halfling in the Playground

Sooo, the extra 6 range compared to other race's basic guns isn't worth anything? In my experience it can usually turn in an extra turn of shooting with good positioning and careful range guessing.

Most of the good armies in 1500 points are churning out 10 vehicles.
    To be fair, in my metagame like only one or two players can afford that many vehicles money-wise when a measly 40-point transport costs as much as a full squad that'll fill a lot more points of your army allotment. Yes vehicle spam is the ideal build, but actualy geting the models is another story alltogheter.

At least they don't come in random booster packs.
    Last edited by maglag; 2012-03-01 at 07:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Sooo, the extra 6 range compared to other race's basic guns isn't worth anything? In my experience it can usually turn in an extra turn of shooting with good positioning and careful range guessing.
    It's worth a little. That, and being S5 is the only reason Fire Warriors are merely bad, as opposed to being traps.

Fire Warriors are fragile, stationary units with no CC ability whatsoever. Their only good point is their shooting, but their mediocre BS and numbers render them actually pretty mediocre, even at their one good point.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fire Warriors are fragile, stationary units with no CC ability whatsoever. Their only good point is their shooting, but their mediocre BS and numbers render them actually pretty mediocre, even at their one good point.
    Compare them to Ratlings. Also, fragile, stationary units with no Assault ability whatsoever.

However, they come at BS4, and have Infiltrate and Stealth.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-03-01 at 08:04 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Compare them to Ratlings. Also, fragile, stationary units with no Assault ability whatsoever.

However, they come at BS4, are only ten points each, and have Infiltrate and Stealth. For two points less than a Fire Warrior.
    Completely agreed.

Though the two are actually the exact same price. T2 and Stealth seems roughly as durable as T3 and 4+ armour, but Infiltrate and BS4 just make Ratlings so much better than Fire Warriors.

25. - Top - End - #205

However, they come at BS4, and have Infiltrate and Stealth.
    And don't score. I can have as many ratlings on an objective as I please and it won't make a lick of difference.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    And don't score. I can have as many ratlings on an objective as I please and it won't make a lick of difference.
    Ratlings aren't for Scoring. They should be Infiltration denial-ing your opponent and generally shooting at Heavy Infantry and being a PitA with 3+ cover saves. I mean "I shoot ten million lasguns and kill three Terminators." is not as effective as "I shoot ten Rifles and kill three Terminators." for one quarter the points.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #207

Ratlings aren't for Scoring. They should be Infiltration denial-ing your opponent and generally shooting at Heavy Infantry and being a PitA with 3+ cover saves. I mean "I shoot ten million lasguns and kill three Terminators." is not as effective as "I shoot ten Rifles and kill three Terminators." for one quarter the points.
    Well yes, I know how to use them, but whether a unit is scoring or not figures into its points cost. Not to say Fire Warriors are worth it (twice as much as a Guardsman? Really?), but they're not Elites for a reason.

At any rate, Guardsmen are 5 points per model. Veterans are 7, so apparently +1 BS is worth two points. Give them a doctrine and suddenly they cost the same as fire warriors; going from 5+ to 4+ is worth three just to pick one of them. So the question we have to ask, working backwards from that, is whether S5 over S3 is worth about as much as BS4 over BS3 and WS3 over WS2. I think we can answer with a resounding no, leaving aside that you generally wouldn't give veterans carapace anyway if you care about cost effectiveness, barring possibly the plasma gun exception.

So, at what points cost would Fire Warriors become effective?

Also, to answer myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Is it just me, or are almost all the 40k articles on the Games Workshop website gone without a trace?
    This here is the boilerplate Customer Disservice gives, if anyone's curious.
    Hey there,

Thanks for writing in to us. As you've noticed, some of the articles on our web-site including many of the painting guides have been removed. Most of these articles have been out of date for some time and used paints that are no longer available. Our hobby books such as ‘Eavy Metal Masterclass, the How To Paint books and White Dwarf, contain an array of painting guides, and our Hobby Center staff are always willing to help out with painting techniques – just pop in and have a chat with them if you have a store close by. We also show plenty of painting tips on "What’s New Today", sharing the techniques used by hobbyists all over the world. With the new blog, this advice will be even easier to find, so don’t forget to keep checking back. You can also call our Customer Services department for advice too. The number to call is 1-800-394-4263.

We're not sure when new articles will be uploaded to our web-site, but rest assured that as we go forward more and more will be added to build up our library again.

We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any further questions, then please call us at 1-800-394-4263.

Madison Blair

Games Workshop Customer Service
    Completely ignoring the fact that I didn't ask about painting articles at all, and revising the painting articles wouldn't require wholesale deletion of the gameplay and rules expansion articles with them. So much for the online Cities of Death stratagems, I suppose.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Word is the paint line is being redone so those articles all need re-writing, and with 6th edition supposedly in the wings to consolidate all the expanisons into one book...
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

29. - Top - End - #209

Yeah, but now vox-casters can't spot for my ordnance battery.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Moving on from Fire Warriors, my FLGS is hosting a 40K tournament in a few months and I'm not sure what sort of list to bring.

I've got two armies. My Tau, who I'm a little out of practice with, and my GKs, who I usually field as horribly unoptimised Terminator-spam for fun.

Currently I'm thinking of fielding a list based around two large units of Terminators with a force-multiplier (Xenos Inquisitor/Techmarine) in each, backed by as much dakka as I can muster.

The first draft looks a little like this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - 94 Points
    Mastery Level 1: Hammerhand
    Bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Psychotroke Grenades, Rad Grenades
    +Servo-Skulls (x3)

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - 91 Points
    Mastery Level 1: Hammerhand
    Bolt Pistol, Force Sword, Psychotroke Grenades, Rad Grenades
    +Servo-Skulls (x2)

ELITES
    Vindicare Assassin - 145 Points

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (x11) - 80 Points
    Psyker x6, Warrior Acolyte x5

Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (x11) - 80 Points
    Psyker x6, Warrior Acolyte x5

TROOPS
    Grey Knight Terminator Squad (x10) - 495 Points
    Brotherhood Banner, Nemesis Daemon Hammer x2, Nemesis Force Halberds x7, Psybolt Ammunition, Psycannon x2

Grey Knight Terminator Squad (x10) - 495 Points
    Brotherhood Banner, Nemesis Daemon Hammer x2, Nemesis Force Halberds x7, Psybolt Ammunition, Psycannon x2

FAST ATTACK

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Grey Knight Dreadnought - 135 Points
    2x Twin-Linked Autocannon, Psybolt Ammunition

Grey Knight Dreadnought - 135 Points
    2x Twin-Linked Autocannon, Psybolt Ammunition

TOTAL: 1750

Obviously, I could make some major improvements to it.

My Tau list is significantly more optimised, but like I said, I'm a little out of practice with them.
    Last edited by Tome; 2012-03-02 at 07:25 AM.