New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    The more important implication of Great Curse is fact that it was able to bypass perfect defenses..
    They actually explained that at one point.

Originally, Limit tracks were a defense against soul-crushing attacks that just flat-out destroyed you. Because of their nature, there were no perfect defenses against attacks that directly affected your Limit track (and still aren't - no Charm prevents you from gaining Limit to my knowledge). So when the Neverborn unleashed an absurdly powerful attack that nestled inside everyone's Limit, there wasn't a Charm that could stop it.

And since the Neverborn attack altered the Limit of the people it infected, it can't be used again on them.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    And since the Neverborn attack altered the Limit of the people it infected, it can't be used again on them.
    Plus it's said several times that the Great Curse was basically a Martyr effect. It was only so strong because they died doing it.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    They actually explained that at one point.

Originally, Limit tracks were a defense against soul-crushing attacks that just flat-out destroyed you. Because of their nature, there were no perfect defenses against attacks that directly affected your Limit track (and still aren't - no Charm prevents you from gaining Limit to my knowledge). So when the Neverborn unleashed an absurdly powerful attack that nestled inside everyone's Limit, there wasn't a Charm that could stop it.

I thought that it wasn't that no perfect defense was possible, but that like any other Perfect Defense, it had a Flaw of Invulnerability. Death Curses, for instance.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Plus it's said several times that the Great Curse was basically a Martyr effect. It was only so strong because they died doing it.
    Never underestimate the power of a Martyr Keyword.

Speaking of which, some friends and I got to talking last week. Martyr is a keyword mostly associated with the Dragonblooded. But there is that one Martial arts charm that lets you pass on a whole celestial style in an hour's training: Drowning in Understanding Kata.

And there's the abyssal charm that makes you basically unable to be permakilled if you're in good with the neverborn. Oh, immortal malevolence enslavement, how many recurring villains have you spawned?

Does Martyr trump that, or can an abyssal effectively trade a dot of essence to, say, instantly pass on all of Dark Messiah?
    Last edited by golentan; 2012-02-23 at 08:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say Matyr should trump that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Martyr shouldn't trump IME (or similar stuff), because that leads to a situation where if you want to get out of your immortality for whatever reason, you just need to learn a Martyr Charm.

Instead, the Martyr effect simply shouldn't work unless you truly die for good.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2012-02-23 at 09:21 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Martyr shouldn't trump IME (or similar stuff), because that leads to a situation where if you want to get out of your immortality for whatever reason, you just need to learn a Martyr Charm.

Instead, the Martyr effect simply shouldn't work unless you truly die for good.
    Yeah, I don't care how many souls those Primordials have!

...How do you destroy a Neverborn anyway? Is there a way to by the rules?
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-02-23 at 09:27 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Yeah, I don't care how many souls those Primordials have!

Canonically? No.

Though you should consider turning them into a wall to put around Creation. It sounds like a great idea.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Canonically? No.

Though you should consider turning them into a wall to put around Creation. It sounds like a great idea.
    "Look, my objection to that is the same as it's always been. Completely surrounding Creation with the Neverborn may well have unforeseen effects on Creation's Geomancy. I'd want to make absolutely sure Creation won't turn into a shadowland or something if we actually go through with it."

-Forger of Wonders, 1st Age Twilight Caste.

...okay, does anyone else want to play in a Dreams of the First Age game? Deliberative politics, go!

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be up for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, I can't play an Infernal in Dreams.

Also I don't own the books.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

I believe there is one canonical way of ending the Neverborn: destroying their fetter to Creation in some way. Their plan of destroying Creation itself would do this, but their might be other ways as well.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, I can't play an Infernal in Dreams.

Also I don't own the books.
    Depending on how established it starts, you can get PPE and be the next best option!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #434

Another way would be to fix up and improve lethe so that it can comport and reincarnate a primordial's soul.

<supresses manic cackling>

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    Another way would be to fix up and improve lethe so that it can comport and reincarnate a primordial's soul.

<supresses manic cackling>
    Why manic? I mean, sure, unleashing probably angry Primordials on an unsuspecting Creation is terrible for everyone currently living there, but it's great for Creation itself. Human casualties are irrelevant in the face of Oblivion, my friend.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    "Look, my objection to that is the same as it's always been. Completely surrounding Creation with the Neverborn may well have unforeseen effects on Creation's Geomancy. I'd want to make absolutely sure Creation won't turn into a shadowland or something if we actually go through with it."

...okay, does anyone else want to play in a Dreams of the First Age game? Deliberative politics, go!
    depends upon what Exalt we are playing. and how established we are.

But I'd definitely be interested….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

The thing that bugs me about first age is the thing that bugs me about 1st age is the thing that bugs me about most of the games I've seen. No alchemicals. The trouble is that Dreams has no canon introduction of the alchemicals: doing their emergence a few thousand years early drops Autochthonia in during the height of their progressive era (changing their setup wildly) and requires a complete rewrite of subsequent events in creation.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The thing that bugs me about first age is the thing that bugs me about 1st age is the thing that bugs me about most of the games I've seen. No alchemicals. The trouble is that Dreams has no canon introduction of the alchemicals: doing their emergence a few thousand years early drops Autochthonia in during the height of their progressive era (changing their setup wildly) and requires a complete rewrite of subsequent events in creation.

What about a Good End Third Age game where things are starting to get just as bad as they used to. That way, chronology is preserved, but you still get the trappings of playing in a golden age. Plus, no Desus! Though obviously the continuation of events for a few hundred years after the current point in time will take a bit of set up time. Of course, I'm still incredibly busy and probably would not be able to play, much less be the ST for such a venture.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Your point? Any game set in DotFA, in my opinion, should have the potential to completely rewrite subsequent events in Creation.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Your point? Any game set in DotFA, in my opinion, should have the potential to completely rewrite subsequent events in Creation.
    Should have the potential, sure. But shouldn't require it just to play (most of the time, anyway: specialty games are always special cases but by definition you can't use them as justification for talking about the main game line).

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post

What about a Good End Third Age game where things are starting to get just as bad as they used to. That way, chronology is preserved, but you still get the trappings of playing in a golden age. Plus, no Desus! Though obviously the continuation of events for a few hundred years after the current point in time will take a bit of set up time. Of course, I'm still incredibly busy and probably would not be able to play, much less be the ST for such a venture.
    I'd like a good end third age where everything has split off and started doing their own thing. Solars are largely in power, dragonbloods still are one of if not the dominant force thanks to dynastic power blocks, sidereals have taken over bureau of destiny completely and are basically running yu shan, lunars are large and in charge on the frayed edges of creation, alchemicals run their thing out of autochthonia but have settled outposts in creation, infernals have largely gone devil tiger and set up the Independent Fiefdom of Malfeas, and abyssals went "screw this, I like existing" and have gone ahead and replaced the deathlords as awesome god-kings of the dead.

I guess I want everyone involved in a complex power bloc struggle, and nobody to have the villain ball (plus lots of realms of existence to shuffle between relatively without worry).
    Last edited by golentan; 2012-02-24 at 02:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Note that the Lethe doesn't necessarily reincarnate things automatically. You can be stuck in, well, storage for a while.

Also, what do people think of the following weapon:

Artifact ●●●

Many souls are used to forge even the smallest of soulsteel babbles. But most of them are hammered to the point where no individuality remains. By not doing this, however, one can get impressive and interesting results. Take this pair of daggers: unremarkable at first. Till one realizes you never quite manage to see one without the other. A formerly prosperous guild merchant's hun and Po soul were carefully split apart while being mixed with the base ore, with parts going into each knife. The connection lingers even after the forging, and the blades do seem to gravitate towards one another if left alone.

When thrown an attuned wielder may pay 3 motes. If he does so, on the next tick, the knife will rejoin its partner, as long as it's within normal range. If the attuned wielder holds the partner, he may catch it as a reflexive action. If the other part of the pair is in another character, then the knife makes a thrown attack at the wielders normal dice pool which cannot be modified by charms. The magic ebbs after the one attack, and the knife falls to the ground.

{table=head]|Speed|Accuracy|Damage|Defense|Rate|Range|Minimums |Attune|Tags
    Melee|5|2|3L|2|3+1||Str ●|3+3|-
    Thrown|5|2|3L||N/A|20|Str ●||-[/table]
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Should have the potential, sure. But shouldn't require it just to play (most of the time, anyway: specialty games are always special cases but by definition you can't use them as justification for talking about the main game line).

I'd like a good end third age where everything has split off and started doing their own thing. Solars are largely in power, dragonbloods still are one of if not the dominant force thanks to dynastic power blocks, sidereals have taken over bureau of destiny completely and are basically running yu shan, lunars are large and in charge on the frayed edges of creation, alchemicals run their thing out of autochthonia but have settled outposts in creation, infernals have largely gone devil tiger and set up the Independent Fiefdom of Malfeas, and abyssals went "screw this, I like existing" and have gone ahead and replaced the deathlords as awesome god-kings of the dead.
    Pretty much what I had planned for the Third Age as well…..except for the Sidereals running Yu-Shan part.
    I don't know about that part. the Sidereals are better than the gods around them….but they are still divided into two factions that both want to control their favorite pawns and some edge Independents that don't want to deal with the issue and just keep Fate running, even though some better relations with the other Exalts would kinda be making Fate run better, as Exalts are one of the beings that cause a lot of the malfunctions in Fate- Solars at max power alone were enough to pose a threat to the entire Loom.

two extreme factions on such an issue and one collection of people ignoring said issue, isn't really a good way to deal with the issue. the third age Sidereals would've probably gone through a loooooot of changes to to look past their outdated "Bronze vs. Gold" debate and take control of Yu-Shan….

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but given the tradition of putting game settings at the end of an age, that's probably a couple millennia for things to develop. Lots can happen, especially in response to a "kick over the board" event like the Time of Tumult.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd, personally, prefer the First Age if we actually had a game.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

25. - Top - End - #445

Errata is imminent @_@

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

As Andreaz pointed out, 2.5 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatewheel
    Update 2/24/12 AM 5:05

The release of 2.5 is imminent. Tell your friends.

2.5 is ready and the Sidereal errata is in the final stages of correction. We're going to put the finishing touches on it today and send it over to Hats for conversion to PDF.

Also: Forum posters Revlid and Reminiscent Oasis posted some great developer-approved unofficial Sidereal and Lunar Overdrives for use with the 2.5 errata. Please check them out here and here..
    And later on in the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatewheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennkryst
    You have 4 days, and a little under 18 hours to get it done. The Exalted Fans need to hear the Scroll of Swallowed Darkness read by AstraKiseki. Or, if not everyone, all of the MUSH-ers, at least.
    Done? Sure. Posted? Dunno.
    So we can probably not expect it before the weekend.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-02-24 at 09:48 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    As Andreaz pointed out, 2.5 update.

And later on in the thread.

So we can probably not expect it before the weekend.
    I'm probably looking forward to the SoSD reading more than the errata, if only because Exalted shouldn't have crunch.

~

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

A First Age game would certainly be of interest to me, enough so to distract from the imminence of the much awaited Errata. I can think of plenty of things one might do in such a game: Oppose Operation Wyldhand, disrupt Gold Shadowed Arrow's massacre, deck Desus in the schnoz... The list goes on.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

ok, but I can only see any of that happening if we're some of the really established Solars…..

but that does make my concepts for the Twilights I want to play more plausible….big problem with the Second Age and wanting to play an Exalt inventor: how do you plausibly learn the magitech and such? heck, I'm still trying to figure out how you Exalt as a Twilight caste in such an age…..

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    There are rules for punching them to re-death, but the results are just 'ST's call'

Canonically? No.

I like that idea.

Win and yes. xD

I guess I want everyone involved in a complex power bloc struggle, and nobody to have the villain ball (plus lots of realms of existence to shuffle between relatively without worry).
    :O Also yes

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    SoSD reading

~
    what
    Why did no-one inform me.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.