New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I have a question.

My GF and I want to make Exalted characters based on Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, specifically from the BBC show. Sherlock would be a Solar, and John would be his Lunar. However, we don't know much about the system or the fluff. Any advice on building this?
    Sherlock has High Conviction, Med Temperence, Med Valor, Low Compassion. I think there is a sociopath Flaw, but I hesitate to recommend that because he still displays emotion and Flaws are, well, Flaws. For Attributes I would say 2/4/2 3/5/4 4/5/4. High Investigation, Awareness, Bureaucracy and maybe Athletics. Some kind of high-Int MA that deals with possibilities (that's more of the American version though). I would fluff him as homoromantic asexuall.

John: 3/3/4 3/1/3 3/3/3 I dunno. Medicine. He thinks he has a Pox but he doesn't. Compassion>Valor>Temperence=Conviction.

~
    Last edited by Qaera; 2012-02-11 at 04:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    It's not that I actually find the name sinister (though I certainly don't like how it completely ignores the previous style for names), but rather from a writing standpoint, it's absolutely terrible. I've had enough writing classes that I have a spider sense about these things.
    Yea, I'm not using that…..word for the Liminals either. I have a similar sense, as the name just senses as……pretentious, made up, not really….Exalted. it just doesn't aesthetically fit. Liminals ring true as something Exalted, that word…..that doesn't sound something that fits Exalted, it sounds more like some weird DnD insect or lizard race someone would make up that would somehow combined the aztecs with nuclear radiation or something….just not a good sound at all.

Liminals? roll off the tongue, are quick, have the same naming scheme as all the others, sounds like a clear bell with all the clarity of transparency and such. its like clear water standing still, a lake that you can use as a mirror.
    Liminals. Liminals, Liminals, Liminals. A good word for an Exalted is one you can say all day.

That word….no….just no. Not even as an epithet.

I've heard however they are going to some kind of champions or Lethe or something. which means my epithet for the Liminal Exalted is going to be Gravekeepers.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    Sherlock has High Conviction, Med Temperence, Med Valor, Low Compassion. I think there is a sociopath Flaw, but I hesitate to recommend that because he still displays emotion and Flaws are, well, Flaws. For Attributes I would say 2/4/2 3/5/4 4/5/4. High Investigation, Awareness, Bureaucracy and maybe Athletics. Some kind of high-Int MA that deals with possibilities (that's more of the American version though). I would fluff him as homoromantic asexuall.

John: 3/3/4 3/1/3 3/3/3 I dunno. Medicine. He thinks he has a Pox but he doesn't. Compassion>Valor>Temperence=Conviction.

~
    Thanks! This will be very helpful.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Yea, I'm not using that…..word for the Liminals either. I have a similar sense, as the name just senses as……pretentious, made up, not really….Exalted. it just doesn't aesthetically fit. Liminals ring true as something Exalted, that word…..that doesn't sound something that fits Exalted, it sounds more like some weird DnD insect or lizard race someone would make up that would somehow combined the aztecs with nuclear radiation or something….just not a good sound at all.

Liminals? roll off the tongue, are quick, have the same naming scheme as all the others, sounds like a clear bell with all the clarity of transparency and such. its like clear water standing still, a lake that you can use as a mirror.
    Liminals. Liminals, Liminals, Liminals. A good word for an Exalted is one you can say all day.

That word….no….just no. Not even as an epithet.

I've heard however they are going to some kind of champions or Lethe or something. which means my epithet for the Liminal Exalted is going to be Gravekeepers.
    I must say that I find something inherently amusing about people finding a word for good farming soil pretentious.
    Doubly so when it is a word from a people who generally are seen as anything but that.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Triply so when they say it's out of theme, without actually knowing what themes they're talking about....
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong, I said aesthetically it doesn't fit. it could the thematics like a frigging glove and I still would not care. the fact that its a name for good farming soil makes it suck, and I care even less what language its from.

presentation and aesthetics are important to. I will not play something with sucky names or colors that don't match quite right. its awkward and out of place. the fact that they apparently chose that word as their real name and Liminals as the epithet makes it even worse, as the way one would see it now,
    it would inconsistent and out of place even more among all the Exalts being: Solars, Lunars, Terrestrials, Sidereals and so on, it just makes more sense to call them Liminals to match, even if that weird word is closer to thematics.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Again, I find it laughable to declare something doesn't fit without knowing what it is supposed to fit into. Note that they have been called the Black Earth exalted by at least a couple, so that leads me to believe there's a reason, and not just the writers choosing names out of a hat.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I quite like the world Liminal Exalted. It does roll off the tongue very easily.

However, I must say I like the other sobriquets as well. Chernozem feels heavy and somewhat threatening. Real. I like to roll on the r. Children of the Black Earth also has a distinctly... well, I want to say down to earth feeling, which would sound silly, but that's what it feels like.

The other Exalts are Lawgivers and golden kings and terrible monsters and have blood of dragons and all kind of fantasy stuff. These guys? They feel grittier. I imagine a misty day, there's rain in the air and the farmers are ploughing their fields. The wet air clings to their back and the black soil gleams thick and rich around the plough. There is strength born from years and generations in that earth. Pride. Life. The earth treats them as they treat it.

Of course, I know jack about how the Chernozem will actually be, but yeah, I like the names.

The name I dislike the most in probably Warden for Lunars. I just think it misses the point. The Terrestrials should be the Wardens instead. It might fit better after the Lunar errata, but I'm not counting on it.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #39

Is English your native language? Mine isn't, and so the "feel" you put in Chernozem that the others don't have...They've always been there for me. the inverted "<adjective> Exalted"::"<sobriquet>" part does indeed feel unnecessary, but not troublesome.

The sobriquet itself? Really doesn't feel different any more than the others do.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

English is my native language, and I really don't find anything wrong with the word Chernozern. Hell, I like that it's something different than what has been used with every other exalt type.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Really, Slavic languages should be mined more for Exalted terms.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quick, I need a name for a Merchant vessel in the High first age, plus a couple names for random civilians. For a short little piece of fiction, but I'm horrible with making up names, especially in the Exalted tradition.
    Satomi by Elagune

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Quick, I need a name for a Merchant vessel in the High first age
    Radiant Dream.

Flying Spirit.

Shimmering Raven.

Golden Opportunity.

Vessel 246.

plus a couple names for random civilians.
    Michiko

Chun Hei
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'll never be happy with the term. to me "Chernozem" is the lingual aesthetic equivalent to a bratty 90's teen who thinks he is "X-treme" showing up at a formal dinner party where everyone is wearing suits and dresses, while he is dressed in casual street clothes while spouting out stupid slang filled with X's and Z's. completely inappropriate and out of place, and not caring for the etiquette of the situation at all.

I'm calling them Liminal Exalted, and thats what they are no matter how "kewl" or whatever that word is. there is a certain etiquette to Exalted naming that needs to be observed, and if I'm the only one to do it, so be it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Well I'll never be happy with the term. to me "Chernozem" is the lingual aesthetic equivalent to a bratty 90's teen who thinks he is "X-treme" showing up at a formal dinner party where everyone is wearing suits and dresses, while he is dressed in casual street clothes while spouting out stupid slang filled with X's and Z's. completely inappropriate and out of place, and not caring for the etiquette of the situation at all.

I'm calling them Liminal Exalted, and thats what they are no matter how "kewl" or whatever that word is. there is a certain etiquette to Exalted naming that needs to be observed, and if I'm the only one to do it, so be it.
    Not to sound mean, but doesn't that seem a bit snobbish?

'I prefer Liminal Exalted because Chernozem doesn't sound formal enough.'
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

The Heart of Gold

~ ♅

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Not to sound mean, but doesn't that seem a bit snobbish?

'I prefer Liminal Exalted because Chernozem doesn't sound formal enough.'
    what I'm saying that it doesn't the naming etiquette. Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, Terrestrials, Alchemicals, Abyssals, Infernals, Liminals. they fit.

that word? doesn't. its not about whether its formal, a man in a suit speaking flowery language being formal to a bunch of casual people spouting slang at a wild party is just as inappropriate.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

what I'm saying that it doesn't the naming etiquette. Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, Terrestrials, Alchemicals, Abyssals, Infernals, Liminals. they fit.

that word? doesn't. its not about whether its formal, a man in a suit speaking flowery language being formal to a bunch of casual people spouting slang at a wild party is just as inappropriate.
    I think you're looking at this wrong. Exalted isn't about whats apropos, it's about what's awesome and cool and sexy and rad and potato and sweet cornbread and vittles. The suited man speaking French and nibbling on my ear is clearly superior to a rowdy fangangbloonum. In this manner, Chernozem is aight.

~

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I think you are looking at the naming convention the wrong way.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Especially given that there are strong hints that these Exalted, unlike all the others, don't descend from Autochthon's blueprints. Having a different name makes a great deal of sense then.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe the problem people are having with "Chernozem"<>"Liminal Exalted" is that pretty much every other exalted type has "Fancy word"<>"Plain english description". Chernozem might be a proper english word, but unless you spend lots of time farming, you have never heard of it. So if they were "Chernozem-al* exalted", commonly called "Black Earth Guardians", people would have fewer problems with their naming. If they are alternately "Chernozem Exalted" or "Liminal Exalted", that isn't bad either.

*Or however slavic words get turned into adjectives. Preferably how slavic words get turned into adjectives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Especially given that there are strong hints that these Exalted, unlike all the others, don't descend from Autochthon's blueprints. Having a different name makes a great deal of sense then.
    The more I hear about these Chernozem the less that I like them. They don't have any place in the setting as is. Making them fit in less is going to make them even harder to sell.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qaera View Post
    I think you're looking at this wrong. Exalted isn't about whats apropos, it's about what's awesome and cool and sexy and rad and potato and sweet cornbread and vittles. The suited man speaking French and nibbling on my ear is clearly superior to a rowdy fangangbloonum. In this manner, Chernozem is aight.
    ok then. Celestial Dragon-Blooded/Elemental Solars, Abyssals without Resonance, give them to me if thats what Exalted is about. thats whats awesome to me.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

ok then. Celestial Dragon-Blooded/Elemental Solars, Abyssals without Resonance, give them to me if thats what Exalted is about. thats whats awesome to me.
    Those may be awesome (to you), but they are hardly vittles. I am posting at 2:22 am hahahahaha

~

25. - Top - End - #55

I know what you meant there, but... "Celestial Dragon-Blooded"? O.o the terms you defined as awesome are just "what's already there".

26. - Top - End - #56

No, it doesn't fit. Conventions are called conventions for a reason. Nomenclature exists because of the identification of traditions and similarities. Raziere is correct that the C-word does not fit for exactly the reason he stated. It is not presented in contemporary English.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    I know what you meant there, but... "Celestial Dragon-Blooded"? O.o the terms you defined as awesome are just "what's already there".
    Think about it. Thousands, perhaps millions, of monks of the Immaculate Order learn how to manipulate essence through thaumaturgical rituals every day in Creation. One of them should be able to attract a Celestial Exaltation Shard.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Think about it. Thousands, perhaps millions, of monks of the Immaculate Order learn how to manipulate essence through thaumaturgical rituals every day in Creation. One of them should be able to attract a Celestial Exaltation Shard.
    Yes, but that monk is not a dragon-blooded, nor does he become something recognizable as such except through deliberate deception :p

I see what you mean by conventions. Yes, Chernozem is the first to deviate from the convention. That is a valid point, but not one that bothers me. "Soilers" ain't a good sobriquet tho :D. I wonder what they'll do with it.

Btw, I am currently writing a js suite of stuff to aid in running the game. Health tracker, battle timer, dice roller...the whole thing. If anyone is willing to help I'll be greatly pleased.
    Some things about it...
    • Prettification will likely come last, as I'm horrible with it.
    • It uses jquery and jqueryUi.
    • One can open multiple instances of the healthtracker, as well as add/remove damage taken. Their size is also customizable within the -0 -> -4 range

I only just started, it's fun stuff. If you have a suggestion of what it should have, or how it should work, please let me know.

28. - Top - End - #58

Yes, but that monk is not a dragon-blooded, nor does he become something recognizable as such except through deliberate deception :p
    Ahem. Celestial Exaltation Shard. Of course they won't be Dragon-blooded.

"Soilers" ain't a good sobriquet tho :D. I wonder what they'll do with it.
    Not to spur conflict, but I think its a fantastic sobriquet! So much more expressive than insert-foreign-word-here. Soilers. Just think of how their opponents could make fun of them!

[...]currently writing a js suite of stuff to aid in running the game[...]uses jquery and jqueryUi[...]please let me know.
    Explanation is requested for JS, please. Java Script?
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-02-12 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added Quote

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Explanation is requested for JS, please. Java Script?
    Yes.
    <obligatory character limit>

30. - Top - End - #60

Btw, I am currently writing a js suite of stuff to aid in running the game. Health tracker, battle timer, dice roller...the whole thing. If anyone is willing to help I'll be greatly pleased.
    I wrote a set of macros for the tabletop utility Maptool, if you're familiar with it. If you need help with setting up any of the basic formulas, then I can see if I've already worked it out. Are you including the ability to save characters? Without that feature in Maptool, it would have been a pain to keep track of the stats for whatever form the Lunars were in at the time, and while I didn't have any Infernals, they would cause the same sort of issue. Since character data is preserved, I created duplicates of the variables that held their human statistics and made a unique set of macros for each Lunar that set the main attribute values to the proper amount, drawing from the copies I made for returning to human form.