New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

I made a thing.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gareth3,

hat said, you're right about the Sorcerous keyword, which is really needed if you want the permanent effect, which is there to add some flavour and make it less convenient. You could easily imagine a situation where you'd like to break out of a prison without making your cell and the prison wall permanently useless.
    So, if I get it, I could run through walls and collapse manse?

The warlock simply moves where he wishes, rendering any barrier permanently intangible as he penetrates it.
    So, if I step through Dawn Solar he is permanently intangible?

To sum up: Your charms is ridiculous overpowered and badly written. You should just go back to drawing board.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2012-03-22 at 04:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Troll in the Playground

If I were to make a reverse Emerald Thurible of sorts, which is to say: a sub-Celestial attuned to it can use Emerald and Sapphire Banishment as though they knew the spell, and a Celestial who uses it can use Emerald, Sapphire and Adamant Banishment as though they knew those spells...

...what artifact rating would that be? It seems like just from thematics it would be N/A, but since Banishment is way, way less powerful or useful than Summoning it seems more fitting to a unique 5-dot or even 4-dot artifact. You still have to win the banishment roll, which is all kinds of not easy if you're a low-Essence character.

Maybe put in an auxiliary mote pool of 40m or something that can only be used on banishment to bring it up to a proper Artifact N/A, or perhaps allowing sub-Celestials to use Adamant as well. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I made a thing.
    I don't know about refunding the Overdrive mote on a successful attack, but other than that it looks really neat.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-03-22 at 04:14 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    I don't know about refunding the Overdrive mote on a successful attack, but other than that it looks really neat.
    It only serves to try to keep you mote-equivalent, or at least less mote negative. It always seemed to me that weapons that require motes to fire were bad, because you aren't getting much more out of them than an a basic powerbow.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    If I were to make a reverse Emerald Thurible of sorts, which is to say: a sub-Celestial attuned to it can use Emerald and Sapphire Banishment as though they knew the spell, and a Celestial who uses it can use Emerald, Sapphire and Adamant Banishment as though they knew those spells...

...what artifact rating would that be? It seems like just from thematics it would be N/A, but since Banishment is way, way less powerful or useful than Summoning it seems more fitting to a unique 5-dot or even 4-dot artifact. You still have to win the banishment roll, which is all kinds of not easy if you're a low-Essence character.

Maybe put in an auxiliary mote pool of 40m or something that can only be used on banishment to bring it up to a proper Artifact N/A, or perhaps allowing sub-Celestials to use Adamant as well. Any thoughts?
    I think it's already pretty good as an N/A; after all, it's a given that there are degrees to N/A-ness.

After all, the implications of it are already pretty big to consider - such a device allows a Terrestrial to banish Octavian without having to resort to risking his sworn brotherhood's lives to smack the crap out of him! Heck, the fact that they don't need to learn any banishing spells to use this thing is actually a pretty strong benefit.

What sort of history were you looking to give this thing? Seems like such a device would be a pretty serious asset to whatever group got its hands on it.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-03-22 at 06:15 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

I made a thing.
    I like it a lot. No mechanical weight to the 'never found' part?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I like it a lot. No mechanical weight to the 'never found' part?
    Nope! Just a bit of fluff.

I'm really bad at fluff...

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

A full history would take way too long, but.

What I was thinking was sometime during this event, a unique artifact created by the greatest mortal thaumaturge of the age, with the Incarnae (and possibly the Yozis themselves) as probably-unknowing collaborators as they suffused the world with their newly-freed Essence to speed the flow of day and night. The defeat and banishment of the Yozis as a unique component. The form it takes I hadn't decided; maybe a simple robe with curiously-indestructible prayer strips attached; only on close inspection and in full sunlight does it gleam with a thousand arcane symbols written on top of each other. Or maybe something else, I'm open to suggestions.

I say a unique artifact, but were the Yozis to be freed and imprisoned once again, it seems possible to replicate its creation. Most likely a curiosity before the development of Sorcery, as the summoning of demons was not yet an established art and what servitor races were able to escape during that time were hardly worthy of its capabilities. Maybe a story about it receiving proper attention when a mortal monk banished Zsofika who was hunting his father or the like. Banishment spells are closer to Charm use in their timing rules, so it doesn't seem like it would have made anybody **** bricks at the time; whether or not the actual Victory-Over-Primordials Mudra was developed from study of it or whether both came about independently is probably one of those lost secrets that are fun to speculate on because nobody will ever find out for certain.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-03-22 at 07:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Barbarian in the Playground

I made things!

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

So, here's a question. Is there any problem that Mind Hand Manipulation can't solve? Because as I see it, it's a combat charm, travel charm, crafting charm, social combat charm, Shaping charm...

It's mostly only good for proactive problems I admit (you use it to convince someone to follow your directives, not to keep them from convincing you to follow theirs) but apart from that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

11. - Top - End - #1121

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    So, here's a question. Is there any problem that Mind Hand Manipulation can't solve?
    Needing non-SWLiHN Charms?
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Needing non-SWLiHN Charms?
    Use Mind-Hands to craft a Yasal Crystal.

Use Mind-Hands to 'convince' a spirit that it's better off providing you Charms.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Detecting things to use Mind-Hands on.
    That's what its prerequisite is for.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Hm. I think I was looking at VLE. You can go ahead and put it up.

Or we can both spend the first five actions standing there screaming at the top of our lungs while our animas flare up and small chips of rock start floating into the air.
    Back from work, about to go to bed, but,

VLE's second purchase makes it indefinite. The errata increased the cost of its indefinite duration by 7 motes, which is why I'm committing seventeen freaking motes for that extra soak.

I'd prefer the power-up period, if only to make me feel better about those motes/charm purchase...

Let me make some adjustments to my sheet.
    Mmkay, I'll go edit that into the post here in a second.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Detecting things to use Mind-Hands on.
    That's what its prerequisite is for.
    I have a theory that SWLihN interacts through the world solely through Mind-Hand Manipulation. How something feels, looks, tastes, whatever, all detected through Mind-Hand Manipulation upgrades.

EDIT FOR XEFAS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    VLE's second purchase makes it indefinite. The errata increased the cost of its indefinite duration by 7 motes, which is why I'm committing seventeen freaking motes for that extra soak.
    It also changed the base effect to cost 3m, 1w.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-03-22 at 10:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Barbarian in the Playground

Again, the answer is Fair Folk. Now to figure out the questions.

Eternal Knife

Upon meeting a Creation-born who made it a point to always have a knife up her sleeve, the Raksha were entranced by the notion, and formed the Knife. This (at times self propelled) weapon serves its owner second and the Wyld first, but the two are never in conflict.

Once it has been granted to a Creation-born wielder, the Knife provides an endless supply of similar weapons, capable of inflicting terrible wounds and possessing remarkable accuracy to boot. Should the wielder be searched, the Knife itself is immaterial and nigh undetectable - though the ammunition it provides is all to real.

2-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of the Person's Heart - the Knife is more a principle than a physical object.
    Knife Hand Dream - it is unspeakably sharp, and when attuned to a Wyld master can grant +5 damage, as well as making its blades inflict Aggravated harm.
    Luminous Exhalation - it never runs out of missiles, nor requires any essence or materials to create them.
    Hundred Hand Style - the projectiles cast by the Knife are delivered at a terrifying Rate.
    Armament of Flesh - the Knife's weaponry is remarkably accurate, damaging, and quick.

2.5 has not provided new statistics for missile weapons, so enjoy.

If the Knife is attuned to Heroic Worker with Heart Stopping Numinous Power, it gets +5A damage, +2 Rate, and +5 to distribute among its stats, with a maximum of +3 to any specific one. As well as a +1 that stacks with anything else. No Speed bonuses, though.

If it's used by an Essence 3 Exalt (with a Grace), it only gets +5L damage and +3 to its stats (maximum of +4), with the extra Rate and +1 bonus still present.

Wand of Expulsion

For some reason, a rather powerful lord of the Fair Folk became convinced that by accumulating lightning shaped scars and waving bits of wood while chanting almost meaningful words, it would gain the powers of love and prophecy. These powers would, of course, be absolutely essential to overcoming a nameless foe and banishing it back to the non-existence it came from. Or death, at least.

When this perfectly sane approach failed to produce any results (besides sporadic waves of fan-girls, -boys, and -llamas), the Raksha decided that it had to become the means by which the unnamed one would be defeated. Sacrificing itself for the love of a bad plot, the Fair Folk became a wand.

A passing Solar picked up the Wand, noticed its powers, and proceeded to go on one of the most impressive summoning sprees on record. When the mess was over, Malfeas had a record sized wedgie, and the Usurpation was one step closer.

Since, the Wand has moved through Creation, providing worthy heroes (and everyone else) with the power to dismiss otherworldly abominations by calling forth a great glowing platypus and filling the hearts of onlookers with a craving for carrot cake.

Essence 6 Noble Fair Folk with Style 5, a smattering of Graces, and Extinction of the Self. It is now a Wand that can be used by any Essence user to create up to Sapphire magics - with a focus on banishment, of course.

Dragnar: allow me to introduce you to two Fair Folk charms (thus, accessible to Lunars), one of which requires the other (and the other has no prerequisites).

Subversion and Transformation Artifice lets you grant animals up to 15 (more with shenanigans, less as a starting Lunar) mutation points. Possibly permanently. It can also be used in an Oneiromancy.

Overriding Construct of Fate gives any attack you use Knockback. Possibly (at high Essence) up to a mile's worth. And it requires Subversion and Transformation Artifice.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Titan in the Playground

Fair folk are almost never the answer. I can think of precisely 3 times when they've even made my top 5.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Troll in the Playground

How about "top 5 most annoying splats to deal with as an ST"?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

19. - Top - End - #1129

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    They're pretty fun when I'm the one getting to use them, though...

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

No splat is annoying when you ignore Exalted's rules completely and just decide to use Strands of Fate.

cause thats I'm what I'm doing.

cause it takes too long for me to make anything with Exalted's system. too complicated.

meanwhile, I just created three character sheets today with Strands of Fate, and designed a part of an SoF Exalted template without breaking a sweat.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Fair folk are almost never the answer. I can think of precisely 3 times when they've even made my top 5.
    They are in mine, at least. I really like Fae! Though I freely admit my likes may be weird, as my list of desire to play goes something like:

Alchemical > Sidereal > Lunar > Fae > Dragonblooded > Heroic Mortal > Solar > Godblood > Jadeborn > Dragon King > Least god of inanimate rock > Infernal > Abyssal.

They are pretty complicated to make a sheet for, though. Probably the most complicated plat in the game. They're brutally complex, and having to be looking int two places for every charm does not help .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-03-23 at 05:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.

There is a method to transmigrate human souls into animal bodies.

There are charms to mess around with memories (especially Ebon Dragon charms).

There is Sorcery that can transform animals into humanoid forms.

...I think I have a plan to save Lillun. Woot.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    1. Abyssals
    2. Lunars
    3. Sidereals
    4. Alchemicals
    5. Infernals

~

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT FOR XEFAS:
    Oh, thanks for that. I can't believe I missed it. So... does that mean you'll be rooting for me?

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Troll in the Playground

So, I made another thing.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ettin in the Playground

I also made more things.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

Which book is manse creation in? I thought it would be in the ST's Companion, but I didn't see it in there...
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

28. - Top - End - #1138

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Which book is manse creation in? I thought it would be in the ST's Companion, but I didn't see it in there...
    They're in Oadenal's Codex.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Oadenol's Codex.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, now that Sidereal charms have been errataed, I was wondering: How would one best maximize a starting Sidereal's DVs (Parry and/or Dodge)?