New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

here is how you do Tron Lines Shintai:

I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Troll in the Playground

The Twilight anima was already messed up. When you come down to it, all that really separates the castes are the anima powers. Dawns cleared out extras so they can fight worthy foes, Nights conceal the light caused by their powers, Zeniths serve their function as priests by being able to prevent harmful undead from walking around and gaining extra defense against creatures of darkness, Eclipses seal pacts in their capacity as diplomats, and Twilights...had a force field. Flavor wise it suited a scientist/mage, but in function a soak booster would suit the resilient Zeniths and warrior Dawns just as much. Personally I like the new Dawn anima power, passive effects that don't consume more motes are always good, and the new magic-vision Twilights get is pretty cool.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2012-03-27 at 01:29 AM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

Twilight don't get magic vision, they get a boost to magic vision. That you have to buy first.

That's how I read it at least.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Twilight don't get magic vision, they get a boost to magic vision. That you have to buy first.

That's how I read it at least.
    Twilights get a bonus to seeing through illusions, a bonus to seeing and identifying magical effects, a bonus to identifying charms, and (if they have essence sight) a bonus to analyzing them. Only the last of those requires essence sight as I read it, though the wording could be clearer. And the rest are all dice-that-are-not-from-charms, making twilightoids (already with the best dice cap in the game) absolutely peerless at visually inspecting magic, which is only further enhanced by any effect granting essence sight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Troll in the Playground

It improves essence sight but it's not dependant on it, it also provides a bonus to your dodge MDV against illusions.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

….nope, it seems to be magic vision all by itself……don't know what your reading, but I'm reading a 5m charm that adds successes to identify magical stuff in general. thats really useful, considering the kind of world Exalted is. I might actually use that.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Twilights get a bonus to seeing through illusions, a bonus to seeing and identifying magical effects, a bonus to identifying charms, and (if they have essence sight) a bonus to analyzing them. Only the last of those requires essence sight as I read it, though the wording could be clearer. And the rest are all dice-that-are-not-from-charms, making twilightoids (already with the best dice cap in the game) absolutely peerless at visually inspecting magic, which is only further enhanced by any effect granting essence sight.
    Unnatural illusions, and you need essence sight of some form to make use of ID'ing magical effects.

They are peerless at identifying magical effects.... If you have AESS already up. It just doesn't seem as useful as the Dawn or Night caste powers, and I'm not even going to mention Eclipsoids.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with Turalisj. It seems to require all Twilights to buy some form of Essence sight.

My own homebrew version of the Twilight anima was thematically similar to the new errata version:
    Anima Effects: The members of the Twilight Caste are gifted with a clarity of vision with which to bring secrets to light. By spending five motes of Essence, a Twilight Caste Solar can sharpen his senses, adding half the Exalt's Essence in automatic successes to all rolls to perceive, discover, or detect anything hidden, secret, unnoticed, or unknown. This applies to everything from spotting a lurking assassin to finding the true cause of a patient's illness to uncovering flaws in an architectural design. This effect comes into play automatically at no cost once the Solar's anima banner reaches the brilliant level or higher.
    I think I'll be keeping my version, since it makes Twilights more than just the essence sight guys. They can be private eyes, doctors, craftsmen, and scholars in addition to sorcerers. Heck, they weren't ever made the be sorcerers by Exalted's fluff. Sorcery wasn't discovered by the Exalted until at least the Primordial War.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Unnatural illusions
    ...Is there such a thing as natural illusions?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Prestidigitation immediately springs to mind, and depending on how illusions are actually defined there's some possibility that blatant lies fall under that description too.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Troll in the Playground

Lunar tell are classified as natural illusions. It's a natural mental influence effect.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    The Twilight anima was already messed up.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    When you come down to it, all that really separates the castes are the anima powers.
    And the Dawn Keyword.

Twilights get a bonus to seeing through illusions, a bonus to seeing and identifying magical effects, a bonus to identifying charms, and (if they have essence sight) a bonus to analyzing them. Only the last of those requires essence sight as I read it, though the wording could be clearer. And the rest are all dice-that-are-not-from-charms, making twilightoids absolutely peerless at visually inspecting magic, which is only further enhanced by any effect granting essence sight.
    Our many-armed friend has it right.

(already with the best dice cap in the game)
    I thought the best dice cap in the game fell under Dodge MDV, since it's based off of Willpower + Integrity.

They are peerless at identifying magical effects.... If you have AESS already up. It just doesn't seem as useful as the Dawn or Night caste powers, and I'm not even going to mention Eclipsoids.
    You don't need AESS up to identify a magical effect, though; this has been discussed. For instance, you could use the level-0 geomancy ritual.

Yes. Technically natural mental influence that would give someone an Intimacy of belief in something is a natural Illusion effect.

Lunar tell are classified as natural illusions. It's a natural mental influence effect.
    That, too.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    You don't need AESS up to identify a magical effect, though; this has been discussed. For instance, you could use the level-0 geomancy ritual.
    And plain sight for Obvious effects.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    I thought the best dice cap in the game fell under Dodge MDV, since it's based off of Willpower + Integrity.
    It is. And twilights have an additional free (essence) successes to seeing through illusions on top of the willpower + integrity cap. So neh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The obvious solution would be to fix the Eclipse Anima power rather than trying to balance against it.
    Well, I've already admitted to reading the proposed effect incorrectly, so my statement isn't accurate. But, assuming that it was, that wouldn't help matters at all. Charm-sharing isn't powerful because it's in the Eclipse Anima power, so removing it from the anima wouldn't weaken charm-sharing at all.
    You mean like how they 'fixed' the Twilight anima by making it almost completely worthless without having a specific charm active?
    Not really. Remove the Charm-sharing ability from the Eclipse Anima and it's still one of the most powerful: Diplomatic Immunity+Oath Sealing is pretty damn sweet.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

Duly noted.

By the by, this concept was developed in honor of our very own primordial of free love, Lix Lorn. Just for the record.
    whut.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

17. - Top - End - #1217

Alchemical City-Apotheosis is scary. Very, very scary. Nice work Golentan!

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have an Exalted game coming up soon, and a chance to play my old concept of Author of Worlds under the 2.5 revisions. Of course, I find myself paralyzed by options and choices once again, so now I'm asking for help.

Author of Worlds is an Infernal (Caste: Defiler, Favored Yozi: Achsam, from the Wiki) renegade Infernal who plans to try to lay low and keep under the Reclamation radar so as to have access to malfeas infrastructure until he can build up his own, and his ultimate goal is to create his own perfect world.

Mechanically, as I said, he's a Defiler caste, and I was planning on taking a 2-dot helltech armor designed by Citadel in their Hell-Tech design thread, and a 3 dot manse Oramus aspected. That leaves 2 background dots left to spend, and I was contemplating a demon familiar for a Hopping Puppeteer or one of those other crafting demons.

Charmwise, my initial thought was to go for an even split of 5 SWLiHN charms and 5 Achsam charms, and buy Essence 3 at character creation. My rationale for this was to set up a fairly good slew of magical capabilities that he can use out of the gate, as I am unsure how frequently this group would be meeting. Also, the GM has admitted that he really dislikes killing PCs, so as long as I have decent armor and DVs, I'm not too worried about combat at this point, especially as other players are making the fighty-types.

The SWLiHN charms I have in mind are the two prereqs for Mind-Hand Manipulation, Mind hand itself, Force Deflecting Screen (or whatever that DV boosting forcefield one is), and Principle Invoking Onslaught.

From Achsam I had thought to either focus on the charms that allow for the conjuration of objects and mortals, or for getting to Director Demands Contortion (a charm cluster enabling me to make masks for various concepts that also attach mutations, think like the masks from Majora's Mask).

Also, relevant houserules: Manse, Contacts, Cult, Influence are all capped at 3 dots, Caste and Favored First Excellencies are free (so no recurring repurchases for SWLiHN and Achsam first excellencies here), and Ox-Body technique (or its analogue) is given once for each dot of essence above 1.

Any suggestions and advice are very much welcome, and particularly helpful posts will be thanked.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Troll in the Playground

It is. And twilights have an additional free (essence) successes to seeing through illusions on top of the willpower + integrity cap. So neh.
    +3 to their MDV to see through unnatural illusions. And most illusions need some sort of charm active to see through, such as Eyes of the Unconquered Sun.

My problem is that the Twilight Anima is too reliant on what charms you have.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

My problem is that the Twilight Anima is too reliant on what charms you have.
    Perhaps the solution lies in tackling the problem from a different direction. Maybe instead of giving them a bonus in the area of expertise they already have charms to excel at, they could have an anima power that shores up a place of weakness. Like, some kind of damage-reducing force field...

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Perhaps the solution lies in tackling the problem from a different direction. Maybe instead of giving them a bonus in the area of expertise they already have charms to excel at, they could have an anima power that shores up a place of weakness. Like, some kind of damage-reducing force field...
    Say, that would also help with crafting in dangerous or extreme conditions!

~

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Troll in the Playground

Don't get me wrong, the Twilight anima is useful... If you have All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight or Eye of the Unconquered Sun active. Without those two charms, it's not all that useful.

Compare it to the Dawn anima, which turns you into a killing machine. Or Night caste anima, which let's you sneak around easier. Or Eclipse anima, even without the "learn others charms" thing, which gives you diplomatic immunity and the power to make heaven enforced pacts.

Compared to those three? The Twilight anima is boring.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Illusion keyword is ambigously worded. I have seen guys on the official forums (Revlid foremost among them) argue that since Illusion technically just denotes an effect that changes how the target perceives the world, any attempt to convince someone that something is true (whether or not it actually is) or otherwise change their opinions counts as an Illusion. So it's kind of broad.

24. - Top - End - #1224

Compare it to the Dawn anima, which turns you into a killing machine.
    Turns you into a fearless and scary machine, not a killing machine. Your capacity for murder is not altered by it :p

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

So I put together a CRM-based Crafting hack. All the cool kids were doing it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, I think the anima flaring and such works better in my head if I think it more as a transformation around the Exalt. as in someone yells "Exalted Transformation: Twilight Caste!" and suddenly the anima, caste mark and artifacts appear in a flash of light and they strike some pose…..weird….

does anyone else think like that? or is this just some weird association with anime I have that I just can't disassociate from Exalted? whatever. I like it better that way.

27. - Top - End - #1227

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Huh, I think the anima flaring and such works better in my head if I think it more as a transformation around the Exalt. as in someone yells "Exalted Transformation: Twilight Caste!" and suddenly the anima, caste mark and artifacts appear in a flash of light and they strike some pose…..weird….

does anyone else think like that? or is this just some weird association with anime I have that I just can't disassociate from Exalted? whatever. I like it better that way.
    While definitely not the same way, my idea of anima flaring has the same basic concept - actually being iconic of the caste rather than just looking iconic of the character. A Dawn banner makes enemies truly comprehend and fear the Solar's strength. A Zenith banner makes Creatures of Darkness instinctively recoil and lessen their blows, fearful of making lasting contact. A Night banner conceals the Solar's true glory to better suit his needs. An Eclipse banner warns that full wrath of the Sun shall be unleashed on any who transgresses against an oath or his diplomatic immunity. The Twilight banner...doesn't really do anything like that, now or before. Ideally, a Twilight anima power that has those same sort of thematics would espouse a concept like "With these hands we will destroy! With these hands we will rebuild!"

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So I put together a CRM-based Crafting hack. All the cool kids were doing it.
    I WILL HUG YOU
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

A quick question for a character I'm building. With 2.5, Spirit Weapons has changed its cost from 2m to 4m, with the following changes:

Quote Originally Posted by Scroll of Errata
    Weapons created by this Charm are always exceptional. The Solar can reflexively create new weapons at any time as long as
    he has a hand free to hold them.
    The rest of the Charm remains the same, including its duration of one scene. Does this mean the Charm's cost is now a commitment, and that the Solar can freely create weapons throughout the scene? Or does it really cost 4m each and every time you create a new weapon with it? That seems a little steep to me.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    I WILL HUG YOU
    HANDS OFF MY KISMESIS
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.