New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    This here seems like an amazing and very interesting look at an alternative Unwoven Coadjutor, both as a part of the game and as a background.

It also provides for more reasons to have a 'quiet' Coadjutor than "They don't talk" or "They're Navi, but less useful"

...anyone feel like an Infernals game?
    As a rule? Always. :3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

So... I've been, for various reasons (mainly, seeing characters adapted from it in the Nexus. Also reading through parts of these threads, and various other details picked up in miscellaneous areas) interested in Exalted for a while now. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, none of the local gaming stores have any books for it, meaning that I can't read through and tell which of the (apparently many) books that aren't the core rules are, if not mechanically useful (which I don't expect to be able to figure out until I've at the very least read through the rules, and probably more realistically after I've been playing in my first game for a bit), at least interesting...

As such, I have a couple of questions - first, can someone please provide a rundown of the Exaltations, so that I can at least determine which ones sound worth looking at? And also, are there any bits of errata that I should definitely take a look at, no matter what I decide to do?

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure I can do justice to the various Exalted types…

But In terms of errata, DriveThru RPG carries the Scroll of Errata for free.

Get it. They've recently done an update than can be summarized as Exalted 2.5, and most games on the forum will likely use it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

You'll need to get the Scoll of Errata, since they just did a massive system update.
    Solar Exalted are the base exalted, and technically the strongest. They are good at being humans but better.
    Abyssal Exalted are them, but killy.
    Infernal Exalted serve, basically, demon god-things. Their powers are /weird/, wonderful, and the best written.
    (Also they are the best exalted. Xefas said so!)
    Lunar Exalted are shapeshifters and guardians. They're weaker than those three.
    Sidereal Exalted are martial artist fate-manipulating xanatos ninjas. Their charmset was broken before errat. They're theoretically about the same as lunars in power.
    Alchemical Exalted are communist robots. They are awesome, and marginally weaker than siddies/lunars.
    Then there's the Dragonblooded. They are elemental themed warriors with vastly more numbers than the others. They are weaker, though. Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Wood.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    So... I've been, for various reasons (mainly, seeing characters adapted from it in the Nexus. Also reading through parts of these threads, and various other details picked up in miscellaneous areas) interested in Exalted for a while now. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, none of the local gaming stores have any books for it, meaning that I can't read through and tell which of the (apparently many) books that aren't the core rules are, if not mechanically useful (which I don't expect to be able to figure out until I've at the very least read through the rules, and probably more realistically after I've been playing in my first game for a bit), at least interesting...

As such, I have a couple of questions - first, can someone please provide a rundown of the Exaltations, so that I can at least determine which ones sound worth looking at? And also, are there any bits of errata that I should definitely take a look at, no matter what I decide to do?
    The problem with your first question is that which ones are interesting depends on what you're interested in. Maybe it's all of them. Maybe you really like magic items and would want to get Wonders of the Lost Age first. Maybe you really like undead and want to get Abyssals first. Maybe you want to fight pirates and want to get Compass: West first. It's all a matter of personal preferences, really. In particular, a lot of the fanbase likes Infernals, while a lot of the rest hate them. Though I'll note that you'll want to be careful so as not to accidentally get a First Edition book by mistake like one of my players did.

I'll leave the rundown of Exaltations to someone who won't make them sound silly, but as far as errata goes, you'll want all of it. It's actually it's own supplement at this point in time, and the core combat system experienced some serious changes recently. There's also the Ink Monkeys Ultimate Collection, which is material taken from the writers' now-defunct blog.

Errata
    Ink Monkeys

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, first, get the Exalted corebook, it has the rules on it, but this also means you'll be getting Solars no matter what.

as for errata, you can download the Scroll of Errata on Drivethrurpg.com. it contains all the errata you'll ever need, and is in fact vital that you have it, since it contains the changes to Exalted 2.5- combat is very different now, and some of the stuff of the corebook, is outdated and broken.

as for Exalts….kay…

Solars: Don't let the "sun king" fluff fool you. Their powers are about taking things humans can naturally do and making them epic to the point of myth- you go from Lukes lightsaber retrieval trick, to summoning your sword from another dimension whenever you want, to creating a sword of sunfire whenever you want. thats only one example. They are supposed to be any hero you want, the flexible "fill in the blanks" splat.

(however I personally consider them a failure in being able to be any hero, because many heroes aren't purely human in their powers, so whatever)

Lunars: are shapershifters…..and thats about it. not recommended, since they as a splat, are so messed up that…..well….hardly anyone plays them, just wait for Lunarrata to hit.

Sidereals: these guys are if you want to play scheming masterminds of fate, with the 2.5 errata they are awesome, they are also the masters of martial arts. their powers are less straightforward than Solars, and it requires a clever mind to use them effectively, as they are also more subtle, as they are basically fate ninja bureaucrat macgyvers of heaven.

Dragon-Blooded: these guys are not as strong as other Exalts. they are supposed to work as a team. their elemental powers are just fluff. their real thematic is that they are soldiers who work together to do things.

Abyssals: they are dark mirrors of Solars. in that while a Solar is about doing anything you want and being an awesome hero, Abyssals are about being able to only do one thing (destroy everything) and being a tragic figure where death and destruction constantly hound and all that they do is DOOOOOOOOOOMED, with no end in sight.
    (some people however disagree and want more heroic Abyssals, I'm one of them, but what are you going to do?)

Alchemicals: they are basically communist robot superheroes in Autocthon. they take place in Autocthonia, entirely different from Creation, they are flexible about what powers they can have, and are all about being this celebrity guardians of communist nations, who are the good guys. the bad guys diseased techno-mutants trying to turn the entire world into an eldritch techno-abomination of death.

Infernals: you are the rockstars of hell. basically, you get strange transhuman powers from the architects of Creation, who want you to be a villain that terraforms Creation into something that resembles hell so that the architects can come free from their prison and rule everything once again.
    however, the entire in reality is to rebel against them and go off and do your own thing, and become your own super-titan of reality that are improvements upon the old super-titans of reality. Why? because said old supertitans are crazy, stupid outside their domains and are being led by the evilest thing in all of existence, who can literally do nothing but betray, spite, deceive unless the truth is more horrible, and scheme to make everyone else lose.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, now that I've finally managed to drag myself away from my Kingdom Hearts binge, I have discovered that 2.5 has finally been released! [/slowpoke]

Do we have a verdict on it yet, or are people still digesting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Ettin in the Playground

Be forewarned that these summaries miss a lot for being a few sentences.

Solars: Shining Heroes of Holy Light (but Light is Not [Necessarily] Good)

Abyssals: Tragic Heroes of Darkness and Entropy (but Dark is Not [Necessarily] Evil)

Infernals: Hell's Rockstars (where Hell, while unpleasant, is not necessarily evil - but it is Alien, and its masters are terrifyingly insane and horribly powerful)

Dragonblooded: Decadent masters of elemental power trying to hold a peace that will shatter at the lightest touch while combating corruption from within

Lunars: Shapeshifters fighting to break the power of conquerers who took a world that wasn't theirs

Sidereals: Overworked Fate-Bureaucrat Kung-Fu ninjas

Alchemicals: Robo-communists living in a sick and dying god.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-03-30 at 06:37 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

As has been said, what books to get depends largely on what you like. I'm going to suggest you get at least 1 compass book, depending on what type of exalt you find yourself most interested in. I'd also suggest considering what aspect of play appeals most to you, because that will influence what rule supplement to get (magitech, sorcery, martial arts, elder powers, gods, demons, and ghosts are all options, for example).

For the types of exalted...

Solars are the God Kings of Old, glorious and holy heroes who led the world against the evil of the primordials and who were betrayed by their subjects and advisors, banished for an age. Now they have returned to the cycle of reincarnation, and the world will once again be saved by them. Of course, they're also raving lunatics prone to massive breakdowns and the reason they were overthrown was a prophecy said they might destroy the world in their mad lust for power. Suggested Compass Book: Any (special mention: scavenger lands)

Abyssals are the defenders and rulers of the dead, dark heroes with unrivaled power over the underworld. The shadow image of the solars, they were once the heroes of the sun who have since been given over to the powers of the dead. They loyally seek justice for the unjust slaying of their masters, the neverborn and the deathlords, brutally killed by the exalted in ages past. Of course, they're also a bunch of omnicidal lunatics who are probably going to blow up the setting. Suggested Compass Book: Underworld

Infernals are the servants of the yozis. They too seek redress for the wrongful rebellions perpetuated by the exalted host, but unlike the abyssals they try to return creation to its rightful rulers, who are the only beings who have demonstrated unambiguously the power and will to safely shepherd the world. Given time, they may themselves grow into primordials, beings with many souls who are whole worlds unto themselves and who are the embodiment of a principle seared into the face of reality. Of course, they're also a bunch of crazy failures willing to turn reality over to a group who can best be described as "infinitely powerful petulant children angry at everyone." Suggested Compass Book: Malfeas

Lunars are the shapeshifting guardians of creation, defending the edges of the world from threats intra, extra, and juxtaterrestrial. They seek to make a world which doesn't need the exalted because the common men may take care of themselves. They thanklessly carry out these tasks for the greater good. Of course, they're also a bunch of civilization destroying barbarians who can and will rip out the still beating hearts of children to take their shape for this "greater good." Suggested Compass Book: Any (special mention: the Wyld)

Sidereals are the only of creation's exalted who still follow their ordained purpose, protecting the workings of fate from threats against reality. Their power to read and even rewrite destiny goes hand in hand with their peerless skill at the martial arts, and they dwell in Heaven where they oversee the workings of the divine bureaucracy that maintains reality. They foresee and prevent problems before they happen, defending the world from the depredations of the mad god-kings of the first age and the continuing threats of the Wyld, Oblivion, and Hell among others. Of course, they're also a bunch of egotistical lunatics despised by all of heaven for their part in orchestrating the usurpation and who can't make a good decision to save their own lives when they get things into committee. Suggested Compass Book: Yu Shan

Terrestrials are the noble and righteous rulers of creation. They police rogue spirits and bring their excesses to heel, they defend the populace and prevent them facing the horrors mortals are ill equipped for, they face down the lunacies of the fey and the mad power of the other exalted with equal courage, defending and ruling the largest and most successful land of creation and protecting the bounty and knowledge of ages past. Their power over the elements gives them tremendous strength, but not as much as their loyalty to each other and the bonds of blood that bind them. Of course, they're also a bunch of backbiting politicking egoists who overthrew the solars and plunged civilization from its greatest triumphs into a feudal fallen age in the process. Suggested Compass Book: The Blessed Isle.

Alchemicals are the champions of their god and state, defending an entire living machine world from entropy, rogue spirits, war, and dangers too numerous to count. They loyally serve their people, rather than dominating them in the manner of most exalts, and shepherd a society which has not fallen and which has no equal in creation. Their powers are technological, and modular, being able to switch from a war footing to an industrial powerhouse in a few quick hours. Of course, they are also an apocalypse waiting to happen, a ravening horde willing to strip mine creation of everything from metal to grass to the souls of children to support their fascist totalitarian nations and their inscrutable, human soul devouring god. Suggested Compass Book: Autochthonia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

All below are my opinions only.

The Solar Exaltation seeks out classical heroes; Gilgamesh, Achilles, Odyseus. It doesn't seek out moral heroes, necessarily - it seeks out those who will step up and use their power to reshape the world.
    It grants them powers related to perfection of skills, and the light of the sun.
    As a splat, they are extremely flexible and extremely powerful. As individuals, they tend to be the absolute masters of their chosen fields.

The Lunar Exaltation seeks out those who have a will to survive and to continue - sometimes termed 'survivors', but perhaps better put as those who refuse to be stopped.
    It grants them powers related to raw force (attributes) and the adaptability of the moon.
    As a splat, they're borked outside of unarmed murderbeasts compared to essentially any other splat. As individuals, they can fight against that to some degree, and they generally use slightly fewer excellencies than most.

The Abyssal Exaltation is offered as a choice at the moment of death. The Deathlords, who rule the Underworld, decide who to offer it to. It is best wielded by tragic heroes such as Oedipus, whose ability to change the world is matched only by the harm they inflict on themselves and all around them as they do.
    It grants them powers related to deadly skills (even in Medicine and Presence) and the inevitable entropy of Oblivion.
    As a splat, I know very little about them. I'm fairly sure they kill things well... and have great difficulty managing anything else at all (although they are still pretty good when they do.)

The Sidereal Exaltation is fated; it goes where it needs to go. They generally get picked up by the Bureau of Destiny in Yu-Shan (heaven) to act as secret agents on behalf of Fate (physics; not just destiny) and sometimes act as 'teacup ninjas.' They are best at acting as Light Yagami or Gendo Ikari - capable of planning ahead for details that make them seem pretty crazy.
    It grants them powers related to manipulating reality a little more directly than most powers, and the ordering influence of the five Maidens (Journeys, Joy, Battles, Secrets, and Endings.) Also they can master martial arts better than anyone else.
    As a splat, they recently got errata that made them properly playable, and are quite esoteric. As individuals, they tend to be a little strange, but can pursue most fields now. They're about as strong as Lunars overall, but they sacrifice raw combat power for being able to do other things.

DBs, Alchemicals, and Infernals later.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Exalted has been out of print for years now. They've just started to get back with a "print on demand" option at DriveThruRPG, the main stocker for the books (I really should've payed an extra thee dollars to get the Infernals PDF in addition to the book, since that only takes a few minutes to download), but there's zero chance of finding them at gamestores that don't carry old stuff like D&D 3.5.

Anyway, Solars are superpowered humans who eventually go insane. You're kinda stuck with them though, since they're in core. A good example of a Dawn Caste Solar is Beowulf. A good example of a Zenith Caste Solar is Jesus.

Lunars also experience bouts of insanity, but they attribute it to Luna, although only the Neverborn and the Yozis (and maybe certain Infernals) know the truth. They focus on talent rather than skill (their charms are attribute-based rather than ability-based), and can turn into at least one animal. A good example of a Full Moon Lunar is Heracles, if Heracles could turn into an elephant. A good example of a Changing Moon Lunar is Hitler (seriously, Charisma + Appearance + the Thousand Streams River experiment).

Dragon-Blooded are very abundant compared to the others, but they're also the weakest. There used to be about a million DB during the Shogunate, and probably tons more during the height of the First Age of Man (since a lot of them would've been killed by the Solars and loyalist Lunars), but now there are only about ten thousand. They experience a watered-down version of the Lunar and Solar curses. A good example of an Earth Aspect Dragon-Blooded is Toph. A good example of a Fire Aspect Dragin-Blooded is Zuko.

Abyssals are Solars. Except they kill more, do other stuff less. And they suffer Resonance instead of going insane, which means that if they don't kill things, the people they love start getting bad luck, then worse luck, then they die. I don't really have any examples of Abyssals.

Infernals are like Abyssals, except they suffer Urges (a desire to do a certain thing that advances the Yozis' plans), but they're like Solars with more thematic stuff (seriously, Yozi excellencies are based on theme), and they can eventually give the Yozis the slip entirely, effectively making them Solars that won't go insane. A good example of a Slayer Infernal is... well... *points at avatar* *points at avatar's name in sig*

Sidereals are fate ninjas. Your best friend that you met last summer could be a Sidereal in disguise and you wouldn't even know it. The very same Sidereal could also have been Bruce Lee. You could even have met the Sidereal in his true form, but not remember him at all. Older ones also believe they're always right.

Alchemicals are communist cyborgs that eventually turn into colossi, then cities. Not sure how their Clarity works.

The Fair Folk are carefee, and the people in Creation are all jerks who want to ruin their fun. They also survive in Creation by taking emotions from people, and most of them want to just destroy it.

Mortals are like flies. The rules actually give you a better chance of surviving if a PC knows your name. The average farmer can also jump six feet in the air, fight skillfully, and survive in the wild.

Just remember. In Exalted, there is only one non-mortal guy everyone other than himself thinks of as evil. The Ebon Dragon. Some of the Solars well into the Curse might also count.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-03-30 at 07:51 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Alchemicals are communist cyborgs that eventually turn into colossi, then cities. Not sure how their Clarity works.
    Clarity is essentially the balance between the man and machine in Alchemical - remember, although they may have artificial bodies, their minds and souls are formed from fragments of past mortal lifetimes their soul has lived through. High Clarity means the balance is more towards the machine end - high-clarity Alchemicals eschew humanity, their minds becoming efficient, goals-orientated, with emotional ties becoming less and less relevant and important - things are assessed in terms of how they relate to the Alchemical's goal, not in terms of how he used to feel about it.

Clarity isn't a permanent thing, though, and unlike the other Exalt's Limit tracks, isn't all bad. It's a sliding scale showing the balance between the two ends, increased by spending long times away from humanity, suppressing your emotions, and certain charms (and advancing into the later stages of Alchemical evolution, past the human form and into the transhuman colossi and metropoli), and decreased by embracing your emotions and spending time with humanity.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Clarity isn't a permanent thing, though, and unlike the other Exalt's Limit tracks, isn't all bad. It's a sliding scale showing the balance between the two ends, increased by spending long times away from humanity, suppressing your emotions, and certain charms (and advancing into the later stages of Alchemical evolution, past the human form and into the transhuman colossi and metropoli), and decreased by embracing your emotions and spending time with humanity.
    Rhyvurg thinks they're the only Exalted with the possibility of being objectively good (except to the Fair Folk and people that should be in an asylum), simply because Clarity isn't really a bad thing. I countered with the fact that Infernals can slip the Yozis and become something similar to Solars that don't turn insane, and not using soulsteel and certain charms gives them a distinct possibility of being objectively good. Although they could also become Primordials that can relate to mortals instead. The only problem is what happens when a Green Sun Prince dies... although in my opinion, placing the Infernals in power would also include lowering Malfeas's rage levels and convincing Isidoros to take a smaller form, then somehow freeing them (maybe killing another soul? But I don't know if that would work, since you can't exactly free them by killing a first or even second circle demon, and Ligier's such a nice guy). Then we free most of the other Yozis, except we kill the Ebon Dragon and Adorjan (Adorjan's bat**** insane and the ultimate assassin, she's like an unstoppable mass murderer), and maybe some others (I'm not sure how Cecelyne or She Who Lives in her Name would work, since I don't have the Infernal book (yet) or the Malfeas book).
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhyvurg thinks they're the only Exalted with the possibility of being objectively good (except to the Fair Folk and people that should be in an asylum), simply because Clarity isn't really a bad thing.
    ...no, they can't, because in the context of Creation, there is no objective measuring stick of 'good'.

However, if we want to go down that road... redeemed Abyssal.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    I don't know how those work. Do they just become Solars without the Curse?
    My Steam profile

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Ettin in the Playground

...no, they can't, because in the context of Creation, there is no objective measuring stick of 'good'.
    Obviously some manipulation of the shinmaic substrata of Creation needs to be done.

I don't know how those work. Do they just become Solars without the Curse?
    In a nutshell.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-03-30 at 08:47 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, since it's apparently Splats Time, here's what I think about them, but keep in mind I mostly talk about fluff, because I'm not used to their mechanics yet :

If you want to play Big Damn Heroes that are pretty much able to punch the very concept of Impossible in the face and tell it to go sit in a corner, play Solars. They are humans made perfect. They fight perfectly, inspire perfection, control the most perfect sorcery, technology, cooking, knitting, writing, what have you... But keep in mind they might throw a perfect tantrum and perfectly destroy Creation if they wish so.

If you want to play Werewolves on Steroids, play Lunars. They are shapeshifting beings with awesome raw power, but not as refined as Solars in that they depend more on talent than skill. They make great killing machines, but I tend to like their sexy courtesans because SHAPESHIFTING! Think of the possibilities.

If you want to play Angst : The Killing, play Abyssals. They are masters of murder, be it violent, sneaky, not on purpose or whatever : they are beings of death and they can't even help it. They are supposed to work towards the end of Creation, but this is Exalted, so there ARE exceptions.

Sidereals do not exist, but if they did, they would be kung-fu master bureaucratic scheming fate ninjas from heaven that could jump out of a tea-pot to punch your destiny so hard it would spin twenty times in its socks before realizing it doesn't even exist in the first place. Or something.

Finally, about Dragonblooded. They are soldiers, politicians, martial artists, teamworkers, and more to the point, they kinda dominate the mortal world right now : there's 10 000 of them running around, their empire covers about every civilized land there is in Creation, and they have access to ressources and knowledge long lost to everyone else. And they need it : they are, by design, weaker than the other Exalts when taken alone. You might want to give them a try, though, because they have a potential for awesomeness too.

Infernals... I didn't even start reading about them thoroughly, so I can't really say.

If you want something a lil' different, you can play Mortals. They are squishy, not that magic, not that heroic compared to Exalts, but they can be Badass to their own level.

If you want to know what it feels like to be high on every single drug at the same time, try Fair Folk. They are wonderful, but not that easy to understand. I wouldn't recommend mixing them with other character types, because they tend to do their own thing (which is, everything). Meschlum would explain it better.

And finally, for something totally unrelated (or not), you might try Alchemicals. They've already been described pretty well, so I'll just add something : they can have lightsabers, which is, well, the coolest thing ever.

Also, now might be a good time to suggest reading Keychain of Creation. That's what got me into it. It has some non-canonical elements, but really helps grasping the whole mood of the thing.
    Last edited by HerrTenko; 2012-03-30 at 09:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

I don't care for nation building or Infernals, so...
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Well, also, many forms of limit aren't going to disqualify someone as good. A solar who periodically gets the weepies (like Misho in Keychain of Creation) isn't all that likely to do evil things as a result of his curse. Similarly, one with the temperance flaw to go and get hammered is likely to make no worse decisions when drunk than a solar with temperance 1: the consequences of an exalted bender may be dire, to be sure, but are not inherently evil.

Even, loathe as I am to embrace them, abyssals with the proper set up don't bring evil into the world automatically. An abyssal who's only friends with guys who are already dead and who hangs out in the underworld can theoretically vent resonance in such a way that they look really scary to any mortals passing by a few days out of every week. And nothing compels them to create or use soulsteel.

And, of course, there are infernals. As I am fond of pointing out, it is a perfectly valid act of "villainy" to spare the life of someone who's been making your life miserable so that you can monologue to them about your wedding plans and how happy you are with your spouse-to-be before giving your enemy a wedding invitation and saying you admire their continued conviction in opposing you and you look forward to many years of cheerful rivalry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Barbarian in the Playground

Despite having no contract, I appear to have some contractual obligations here.

Fair warning: I am highly amused by Fair Folk, hopefully proficient at using them, and have (regrettably) found very few opportunities to play them. Prospective GMs keep waving cold iron when I get near, and that messes with computers (of course).

Fair Folk are not Solars. Limiting yourself to being merely a paragon of humanity, without the naive ability to fly, turn people into goldfish, and create your own personal pocket universe is tiresome. If you enjoy crushing people with your raw superiority and going insane in dramatic ways, the way of the Solar is for you.

Fair Folk are not Lunars. Having to hunt and devour people to take their shapes is rather gauche, not to mention mechanics whose main feature is they don't work. If you must be a ravening beast or highly versatile charmer, claiming to be a Lunar is an excellent plan.

Fair Folk are not Abyssals. Kill, kill, kill is boring. Mix in a little maim and politics with ancient ghosts, and there's some potential there. If you plan to wander in the Underworld, or want to destroy large swathes of Creation, you should probably blame an Abyssal for the carnage.

Fair Folk are not Infernals. While they have a commendable knack for transforming themselves into more (and less) than human beings, being limited to a small range of themes is unpleasant. When the human form grows monotonous, and you want to wander in strange realms where you are equally worshiped and manipulated, don the mask of the Infernal.

Fair Folk are not Dragon-blooded. Elemental manipulation, teamwork, and fragility in the face of other Exalts might have you confused, not to mention the politics and corruption. In fact, wandering in Creation as a Dragon-blood lets you get away with pretty much anything so long as you're not caught by others of that ilk, so it's well worth trying out.

Fair Folk are not Alchemicals. Depending on massive infrastructure to completely rebuild yourself is clumsy, and a slowly collapsing techno-dystopia makes for few truly glorious stories. Still, if you ever visit the belly of a sleeping, diseased Primordial, it's a good way to explain where your powers come from.

Fair Folk are definitely not Sidereals. Learning a whole martial art style in order to warp reality is inefficient, dealing with godly bureaucracy is slow, making excellent group decisions means too much time spent in meetings. Should you wish to tamper with memories, be a martial arts sage, or meddle with Fate itself, remember to look like a Sidereal.

Fair Folk are not mortals. Dying to just about anything cuts far too many stories short, and mortals never get a chance to pick up White Veil style. Not that it exists, which makes it all the more fun to use. Cultivate the company and friendship of mortals, for they are tasty and can become almost anything with just a little help.

Fair Folk cannot be Raksha. Those horrible soul eating beasts with unlimited potential and incomprehensible rules have no relationship at all with the Fair Folk. When you wander in the Wyld and seek to create your fondest dreams, don't bother with the Raksha - they can only grant your wishes.

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but it was fun to write. And if, perchance, you happen to wonder about playing Fair Folk... feel free to ask.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by meschlum View Post
    Fair Folk are not Solars. Limiting yourself to being merely a paragon of humanity, without the naive ability to fly, turn people into goldfish, and create your own personal pocket universe is tiresome.
    Pretty much all of these are doable as either Fair Folk or Solar, though the methods are going to be different.

If you enjoy crushing people with your raw superiority and going insane in dramatic ways, the way of the Solar is for you.
    Humorously-enough, I've recently built both Fair Folk and Solars that do just that.

Elemental manipulation, teamwork, and fragility in the face of other Exalts might have you confused, not to mention the politics and corruption.
    Again, not seeing a hell of a lot of difference between these guys and certain Fair Folk builds.

Learning a whole martial art style in order to warp reality is inefficient...
    Are the Shaping Stances less inefficient, then?

...dealing with godly bureaucracy is slow...
    I'm reminded of the core book's little bit in the text for Speed the Wheels about a freehold in which attaining certain paperwork takes a century of effort.

Dying to just about anything cuts far too many stories short...
    Unless you're in the Wyld, and it wasn't at the hands of Creation-born; under such circumstances, Fair Folk can continue to take shaping actions, including the option of shaping themselves back to life.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-03-31 at 02:39 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Lots of answers... Also, now I want to play a Fair Folk, but suspect that they'd be a horrible choice for a first or second character, due to the fact that they sound like they could get rather confusing, albeit in an awesome fashion.

Anyway, with Fair Folk eliminated, I'm thinking Infernal sounds like a reasonable choice for my a non-Solar option, mostly because they seem interesting, but not terribly complex to use while learning the system.

Lunar comes a very close second due to the fact that something like what HerrTenko suggested sounds like it could be quite an interesting character, and what I've gotten of their fluff from the various descriptions of them sounds good - the main problem I'm seeing is that several people have said some of their main mechanics are non-functional, which, obviously, makes me leery of trying to use one. That said, I'd like a bit more elaboration on exactly what parts don't work, if possible... If the specific parts that are borked turn out to be ones I'd be unlikely to care about using anyway, that's obviously going to be less of a problem.

Dragonblooded/Terrestrials also sound interesting, but given what's been said, I'm not entirely certain how they'd work if I ended up with the only one of them in the group, given that their thing at least seems to be teamwork with others of their Exaltation, and I'd prefer to avoid constraints like that when picking my second option.

After that, in descending order, my picks would be Abyssals (mostly for backstory reasons), Sidereals (I'm not too keen on fate-ninjas, but messing around with fate does sound fun...), and Alchemicals (I have a fondness for cyborgs, but I'm not too sure about the whole 'eventually turning into a city' bit), with mortals tossed in about the middle somewhere.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Troll in the Playground

You don't HAVE to turn into a city, there are ways around it. And once you get to large to be mobile there's supposed to be ways to deploy an avatar body of your previous self to continue adventuring in. But Alchemicals are the best when it comes to magical gear (they can get artifacts for 1/3rd the normal price) they can make the best use of normal, powered and mecha armor, they're the only Exalt with lightning-attuned Essence, including a whip-using lightning martial art, and they get weapons like a cross between a chainsaw and Captain America's shield, and a martial art that puts it to the greatest use. They also get Attribute Excellencies, instead of Ability like most Exalts.

An Ability Excellency improves one of your skills. You buy excellencies for Melee, Martial Arts, Dodge, Athletics, Archery, Thrown, etc. and pay XP for each. An Alchemical buys one Dexterity excellency that applies to ALL those skills. They can also buy charms that increase their Attributes beyond the 5-dot limit that holds other exalts back. Their charms might cost more than a Solar, but they don't have to buy as many, ultimately it saves a lot of XP.

They also get lightsabers.
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2012-03-31 at 04:23 AM.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

24. - Top - End - #1284

After that, in descending order, my picks would be Abyssals (mostly for backstory reasons), Sidereals (I'm not too keen on fate-ninjas, but messing around with fate does sound fun...), and Alchemicals (I have a fondness for cyborgs, but I'm not too sure about the whole 'eventually turning into a city' bit), with mortals tossed in about the middle somewhere.
    Eh, Alchemicals turning into cities will only really come into play on the really long term. Put it like this. In order for an Alchemical to even start the process of becoming a patropoli/metropoli, it has to have been around for 500 years. Most the time, you'll be playing them in their champion state, ie Essence 1-5, under 100 years old, humanoid form. It's not particularly easy to play those later stages anyway, since the stages of Alchemical evolution past Champion have not been given support, barring giving the age/Essence requirements for each stage, the general physical changes and some vague stuff about some Muncipal charms (the city ones) that are used by various cities described. So if you get there, you pretty much have to homebrew it.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    This here seems like an amazing and very interesting look at an alternative Unwoven Coadjutor, both as a part of the game and as a background.

It also provides for more reasons to have a 'quiet' Coadjutor than "They don't talk" or "They're Navi, but less useful"

...anyone feel like an Infernals game?
    Always. But as I've already ruined an Exalted game recently I should probably stay out of it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Bugbear in the Playground

, and Alchemicals (I have a fondness for cyborgs, but I'm not too sure about the whole 'eventually turning into a city' bit),
    C'nor, first thing first: Exalted is playable to essence 6. Everything else is theoretical exercise, because of unplayable/non-existent mechanics.

For example: we don't have "turn into city" mechanics. You'll never do it in game (unless you are willing to produce insane amount of homebrew). So Alchemical are perfectly fine.

I would recommended them.

Edit: ninjed by Volt.
    Last edited by Madwand; 2012-03-31 at 05:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

*snip*
    What, no Solars?

On a more serious note, Solars are a good starting splat, mostly because their powers are the most straightforwards. There's a reason they're the focus.

Yes, I know people love Infernals, but let's be honest: while not as complex to figure out as some splats, they're not as good a starting splat because when their powers are applicable and when they are not is more complex than any other kind of splat, because unlike Solars/Abyssals/Terrestrials/Dragon-Blooded, where applicability is based on the Ability used, or Lunars/Alchemicals, where applicability is based on Attribute used, Infernals are based on how well you fit to the Excellency's concepts.

So, Infernals are, certainly, cool (although I remain a Solar/Lunar fan at heart), but for a first character, certainly, you want to go for the standard.

I've never actually been clear on where Lunars are borked, actually, and I thought 2.5 fixed that. In any case, I think they did really, really well at combat, but their Mental charms were kinda lame, especially Crafting charms. Social Charms were all right. I may be wrong, especially after 2.5.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-03-31 at 05:24 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Volt, Madwand:

Yes, well, no-one told me that. The description I was given of Alchemicals was '...communist cyborgs that eventually turn into colossi, then cities.', in various phrasings, so I sort of assumed that, y'know, turning into a city was the eventual and expected endpoint of that Exaltation, rather than something that there aren't really even rules for doing other than in the way of what you have to be to do so.

Horngeek:

I believe we got some wires crossed at some point... I fully intend to have my first character be a Solar. That list left off them off solely because I will, without doubt, be getting them with the core rules; it applied specifically to which other variety of Exalt I was thinking of getting with them.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-03-31 at 05:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, right.

In that case, I'd recommend Lunar, but I do agree that they're not very good at certain areas. Or at least, not as good as the background would suggest.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

30. - Top - End - #1290

Volt, Madwand:

Yes, well, no-one told me that. The description I was given of Alchemicals was '...communist cyborgs that eventually turn into colossi, then cities.', in various phrasings, so I sort of assumed that, y'know, turning into a city was the eventual and expected endpoint of that Exaltation, rather than something that there aren't really even rules for doing other than in the way of what you have to be to do so.
    Well, it is the endpoint that they're supposed to reach. Just games don't get that far most of the time and Alchemicals don't have that much support (they just have their MoEP and a few new charms/submodules in Compass:Autochtonia), so the mechanics haven't been done yet.

High-Essence in general isn't particularly content-rich, but the other Exalts do have stuff - the normal Exalts (ie not Alchemical/Abyssal/Infernal) have stuff like Dreams of the First Age and Glories of Most High for their high-Essence stuff, Abyssals have Mirror charms of Solar high-Essence stuff, and Infernals have the whole Devil-Tiger thing. Alchemicals don't, though - I figure because it's a bit more complex than other high-Essence Exalts stuff ,since it's not just more power, but pretty wide-ranging physical changes to the Exalt himself.

So yeah, turning into Colossi and cities is what high-Essence Alchemicals do (as in, the conversion process is a major part of raising Essence to those levels), it's just something that hasn't been given much detail in the books, since it wouldn't really come up in the hands of players.