New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,487 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Can anyone help me with figuring out how to put together a First Excellency? I have an idea of my character, but I can't figure out how to rephrase a one-paragraph description into a half-page of extremely descriptive or flowery writing.

Also, how many charms would need to be in my new, self-made set of charms? I'm starting to worry that I don't have enough ideas to manage this.
    I've found that the closer a concept is to you and the more work you've put into it, the more difficult it is to flesh it out well. My own Excellency took several hours and at least three different versions and still doesn't seem to match the full Charmset. All the others I've done have taken much less time, with the exception of the Autochthon Excellency. It's a matter of thinking that you have to get it absolutely perfect that slows you down. Incidentally, an Excellency is composed of one paragraph describing the Yozi and another paragraph describing the actions that qualify for the Excellency, so you're already half done.

How many Charms you need to make depends on what you feel you need for your character, but a full set built to MoEP standards is 20-30 Charms, not including multiple purchases.
    Last edited by Gensh; 2012-04-11 at 04:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ogre in the Playground

...you know, after seeing the unofficial Mardukth Charmset, I can't help but think of Rider from Fate/Zero (video contains spoilers).
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-04-11 at 04:22 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Gonna quote from the sidebar on Essence and Ability minimums for Charms.
    So, Essence 1 is Expert Advantages, Essence 2 is Heroic Advantages, and Essence 3 from there on are Power Advantages?

Good to know.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    I've found that the closer a concept is to you and the more work you've put into it, the more difficult it is to flesh it out well. My own Excellency took several hours and at least three different versions and still doesn't seem to match the full Charmset. All the others I've done have taken much less time, with the exception of the Autochthon Excellency. It's a matter of thinking that you have to get it absolutely perfect that slows you down. Incidentally, an Excellency is composed of one paragraph describing the Yozi and another paragraph describing the actions that qualify for the Excellency, so you're already half done.

How many Charms you need to make depends on what you feel you need for your character, but a full set built to MoEP standards is 20-30 Charms, not including multiple purchases.
    Great. So I'm much better off with the Excellency than I thought, and much worse off with the Charms (I have 4, and only one offers any clear ways to make it into a tree instead of a single Charm).
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    So, you lot prepared for Shards? All the spoilers lately on WW Forums have left me wanting to invent time travel.
    I can't wait. I want to play an American Lunar, or a Russian Lunar, as long as the Past Life background lets me make my own tattoos, and of course, we have the necessary Moonsilver somewhere. Or an American Slayer that's a former SEAL, got his power by striking a deal with Set, or one of the Jotuns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    So, Essence 1 is Expert Advantages, Essence 2 is Heroic Advantages, and Essence 3 from there on are Power Advantages?

Good to know.
    ...Strands of Fate?

If more people would switch to that, I'd buy it.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Can anyone help me with figuring out how to put together a First Excellency? I have an idea of my character, but I can't figure out how to rephrase a one-paragraph description into a half-page of extremely descriptive or flowery writing.

Also, how many charms would need to be in my new, self-made set of charms? I'm starting to worry that I don't have enough ideas to manage this.
    The First Excellency has the following parts:
    1) A Descriptive Paragraph.
    2) Some things you can generally use it for.
    3) AT LEAST ONE THING you can NEVER use it for.
    4) Sometimes, one or two things you can ALWAYS use it for.

As an example, Malfeas has his 1 as a descriptive paragraph... His 2's are "Obvious" and "Overkill." His 3 is "Subtlety." His 4 is "Composing and performing music."

So Malfeas can use his excellency for overkill. He cannot, however, use it for subtlety - except for composing and performing music. If an action doesn't clearly fall into 2, 3, or 4 then you can try and adjudicate based on 1.

4 overrides 3 overrides 2 overrides 1. 1, 2, and 3 are required; 4 is not required.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Speaking of requirements, any ideas for a new thread title?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

Maximum Essence Reached
    Primordial Thread Emulation
    (Thread) Cosmic Principle
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    The First Excellency has the following parts:
    1) A Descriptive Paragraph.
    2) Some things you can generally use it for.
    3) AT LEAST ONE THING you can NEVER use it for.
    4) Sometimes, one or two things you can ALWAYS use it for.

As an example, Malfeas has his 1 as a descriptive paragraph... His 2's are "Obvious" and "Overkill." His 3 is "Subtlety." His 4 is "Composing and performing music."

So Malfeas can use his excellency for overkill. He cannot, however, use it for subtlety - except for composing and performing music. If an action doesn't clearly fall into 2, 3, or 4 then you can try and adjudicate based on 1.

4 overrides 3 overrides 2 overrides 1. 1, 2, and 3 are required; 4 is not required.
    Okay, I now have 2 and 3, but unfortunately not in sufficiently flowery text. Also, 2 seems to not have enough, tough that might be due to how flowery the normal ones are.
    Can generally be used for trickery, identifying or discovering flaws, and many means of persuasion and exploitation.
    Can never be used in attempts to fix the holes or flaws in a rule, plan, or similar.

On another note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Maximum Essence Reached
    Primordial Thread Emulation
    (Thread) Cosmic Principle
    I vote for (thread) Cosmic Principle
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-04-11 at 08:54 PM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #1480

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    Speaking of requirements, any ideas for a new thread title?
    I thought we'd already decided on Playground Cosmic Principle but just didn't know who was supposed to start it.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I now have 2 and 3, but unfortunately not in sufficiently flowery text. Also, 2 seems to not have enough, tough that might be due to how flowery the normal ones are.

On another note:

I vote for (thread) Cosmic Principle
    2 isn't meant to be in flowery text. The flowery text description of what it does is 1.

2 is things like Adorjan's "This Charm can enhance any action that causes unexpected or sudden harm, such as surprise attacks or attacks that are part of flurries."
    It's pretty forthright.
    Show
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    2 isn't meant to be in flowery text. The flowery text description of what it does is 1.

2 is things like Adorjan's "This Charm can enhance any action that causes unexpected or sudden harm, such as surprise attacks or attacks that are part of flurries."
    It's pretty forthright.
    Great... The problem remains of not having any flowery-text description for 1. Any advice on how to phrase it?
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

General Exalted Discussion Thread X: Playground Cosmic Principle

Do it.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2012-04-12 at 08:54 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Troll in the Playground

First Qwertystop Excellency
    Cost: 1m per die; Mins: Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: Combo-OK
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: None

Qwertystop is unsure of how to write a First Excellency. He has several unfinished ideas, for a Primordial focused on capricious interpretations of rules, and the exultation of chaos. He questions the playground about how to construct a proper Excellency, but their answers are inadequate to his needs, or occasionally light-heartedly sarcastic, like this one. He That Applies To Lix's Game wishes to incorporate themes of non-Euclidian geometry, and the bending of time and space, through the subversion of rules. He would be advised to look at Cecelyne, who is all about the bending of rules, the disregard for intent behind laws, and the bending of space (i.e. Swallowed In Eternity, and such).

Characters may always apply this charm when consulting the internet for help, but may never augment an action to homebrew Infernal charms.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post

Qwertystop is unsure of how to write a First Excellency. He has several unfinished ideas, for a Primordial focused on capricious interpretations of rules, and the exultation of chaos. He questions the playground about how to construct a proper Excellency, but their answers are inadequate to his needs, or occasionally light-heartedly sarcastic, like this one. He That Applies To Lix's Game wishes to incorporate themes of non-Euclidian geometry, and the bending of time and space, through the subversion of rules. He would be advised to look at Cecelyne, who is all about the bending of rules, the disregard for intent behind laws, and the bending of space (i.e. Swallowed In Eternity, and such).

Characters may always apply this charm when consulting the internet for help, but may never augment an action to homebrew Infernal charms.
    Ha. Ha.

Also, the space-bending was an alternate possibility, not part of this one.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post

This is actually a pretty good example of 1, a 3, and a 4. (The difference between 2 and 4 can be hard to determine, though.)
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2012-04-12 at 10:36 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1487

Went ahead and threw up the new thread.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.