New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread IX: Errata is Combo-Ok!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    My group currently plays via Skype...
    Yeah, my current games are on Skype and IRC, although the Skype one isn't Exalted.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2012-02-14 at 01:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I sorta want to apply, but I probably wouldn't stick with it, and a skype game sounds awkward.
    Playing isn't really awkward at all (except when everyone speaks at once or you have two conversations happening at once). Reading the backlogs is a colossal pain. Though I should probably check Google to see if there's not a way to remove all the time tags and stuff.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Playing isn't really awkward at all (except when everyone speaks at once or you have two conversations happening at once). Reading the backlogs is a colossal pain. Though I should probably check Google to see if there's not a way to remove all the time tags and stuff.
    Time tags are easy to remove with a simple regex. If they are like [2000-01-31 00:00:00] for example, the following find/replace from
    ^\[(\d{2,4}[\s\-:]*)*\](.*)
    to
    $2
    would give you the messages
    Editors like MsOffice, OpenOffice, vim and all programming aides should have such option.

4. - Top - End - #154

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    I lack the personal experience to answer this question in full, but I can provide some information. I think that you might want to have a little more information on intended theme than 'Solars in the East' - but be prepared for your players to reinterpret that slightly. Don't lock yourself in until you know what you're locking it in for.
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually have an elaborate scenario planned, but it may limit the PCs too much to be useful in a game. I'm still having trouble with the difference between thinking up a story in the Exalted setting and thinking up a good scenario for an Exalted game.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Fluff or crunch?
    Both? I was thinking of Changing Moon, but then doing a giant squid totem lunar sounds awesome too. Honestly, not too sure what I should focus on...
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Both?
    I'll see what I can do; I'm not a big expert on Lunars.

a giant squid totem lunar sounds awesome too.
    You've got me there.

Honestly, not too sure what I should focus on...
    Giant squid sounds good for a grapple-focused build.

What sort of backstory have you hammered out so far?
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    He has to be an Exalt? Uh, Lunar. Ganon wasn't human, originally. Nintendo 64 came along and added some things. If you can find a copy of the original The Legend of Zelda manual for the Nintendo it should make a cute read. So not-really-human-at-all. ...but neither do I think that Ganon makes sense as an exalt type.
    He's been orginally-human since A Link to the Past. He was a bandit king that managed to enter the Sacred Realm. Then he got progressively turned into an inhuman demon due to acquiring power, and it corrupting him (and the world around him) due to his evil heart. Or more precisely, the Realm turns everyone into reflections of what they had inside - and for Ganondorf, it was a pig demon (under the same influence, Link becomes a cute little pink bunny, because innocence ).

I think we could make him work as an Infernal, in most incarnations - LttP, OoT, TP.

Wind Waker Ganondorf is an exception, and seems more Solar, though.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2012-02-15 at 07:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

Both? I was thinking of Changing Moon, but then doing a giant squid totem lunar sounds awesome too. Honestly, not too sure what I should focus on...
    In terms of crunch, there's the obvious get Deadly Beastman Technique, Relentless Lunar Fury and some charms that build off of those. They're the core of Lunar combat. Like Alucard says, grappling would be thematic and also strong for you when you're in your spirit shape with it's massive strength bonus. My only advice there is to pick up the core Lunar charms rather than Lunar Hero Style. LHS is just a bit weak in comparison.

The social/general charms depend on what you want to do. West Mastery Technique will let you breath underwater as a human, so you don't have to spend DBT mutation points on it. Dog Tongue Method along with a social charm could let you put together a Posse of sharks and giant squid and stuff. I'm a fan of the Charisma Fascination charms that let you use social charms on people without them even knowing.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I'm making a Sidereal Exalted Chosen of Battles for a game. Was wondering what charms would be good for a Melee using combat focused Sidereal.
    This above message may or may not
    reflect the views of the message board,
    the poster, or any given individual.
    GiantITP is not responsible for the
    actions or beliefs of the above poster.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Omniplex View Post
    So, I'm making a Sidereal Exalted Chosen of Battles for a game. Was wondering what charms would be good for a Melee using combat focused Sidereal.
    Uuuuuh. Well, first, recognize that the Sidereal Charmset is pretty effed up at the moment. There's errata on the way very soon, though.

For Melee, well, you only have seven Charms, so you might as well pick them all up. Impeding the Flow and Serenity in Blood are the obvious ones. ItF is an awesome semi-perfect and SiB lets you beat surprise attacks (plus the stuff that ItF won't block).

You probably want to go into Martial Arts, in any case, to expand your capabilities.

Grabbing Archery or Thrown for some ranged capability is good. Sidereal Archery is hilariously awesome, so I'd recommend that.

For non-combat stuff, really depends on what you want to do. What's your character like?
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

All the Sidereal Melee Charms are actually pretty good. I'd recommend also taking a MA or two, probably VBoS for one.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

First, Isidoros probably has a Shintai that would be appropriate for Ganondorf, no?

Second, I have recently realized that the song Eye of the Tiger has several verses that correlate well to Fair Folk abilities, especially "You trade your passion for glory" -> "You trade Compassion for Valor" or similar. Has Meschlum ever made Eye of the Raksha?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    First, Isidoros probably has a Shintai that would be appropriate for Ganondorf, no?

Second, I have recently realized that the song Eye of the Tiger has several verses that correlate well to Fair Folk abilities, especially "You trade your passion for glory" -> "You trade Compassion for Valor" or similar. Has Meschlum ever made Eye of the Raksha?
    Malfeas' Shintai would work just as well, I think, and Malfeas' themes work better with Ganondorf.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Malfeas' Shintai would work just as well, I think, and Malfeas' themes work better with Ganondorf.
    Devil-Tyrant Avatar Shintai for ease of reference. Still, the full-blown shintai isn't really what you'd be looking for, as I've never found a use for having all those mutations at once. By Rage Recast with a decent Essence score is probably enough, and that doesn't even have any prerequisites. As for using Isidoros vs. Malfeas, though, the Izzy Charmset on the wiki is old enough that it lacks a shintai entirely. I really want to say that we should use a different Yozi entirely since Ganon doesn't quite fit either of their themes that well, but I daresay Izzy has the better set of Charms for the purpose. Also, I want to say he'd be a Fiend, but eh.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

In terms of the Shintai, that's to replicate his trick of turning into a giant boar.

I'd say he seems like either Slayer with ED Favored, or Fiend with Malfeas favored, leaning towards the former. Defenitely a Malfean Urge, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

In terms of the Shintai, that's to replicate his trick of turning into a giant boar.

I'd say he seems like either Slayer with ED Favored, or Fiend with Malfeas favored, leaning towards the former. Defenitely a Malfean Urge, though.
    Actually, I'd go with a Cecelynian urge. His goal is to dominate Hyrule. By vicious, overkill force, yes, but look how he always goes about it. He uses his ability to create titanic monsters to secure his main objectives, then sends out waves of lesser creatures to force people to conform out of terror to his will. In every sense, it is about domination and the preference for the strong over the weak.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Actually, I'd go with a Cecelynian urge. His goal is to dominate Hyrule. By vicious, overkill force, yes, but look how he always goes about it. He uses his ability to create titanic monsters to secure his main objectives, then sends out waves of lesser creatures to force people to conform out of terror to his will. In every sense, it is about domination and the preference for the strong over the weak.
    Ooooh, point.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Also, his trickery seems rather direct, often enough. I mean, in OoT wasn't he in court because he was some kind of magician? Maybe some wish-granting powers were aiding him.

Zelda is, of course, a Sidereal. If she's in Sheik(or whatever that one's name is) form, she's simply wearing Armor of the Unseen Assassin. Probably a Chosen of Endings, but then we don't really get to see her abilities too much.

And then Link's a Solar
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

...to be honest, I always saw both Link and Zelda as Solars- Link as Dawn and Zelda as a Zenith.

Remember, I've never played OoT.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

20. - Top - End - #170

He's not particularly ordered about it, though, which is a main point of contention. He has an evil plan, yes, but even Steve has an evil plan. Likewise, he isn't really a hypocrite and doesn't put effort into twisting things up. He breaks them - a trait held in common with Isidoros and Malfeas. The deciding factor here for me is that Malfeas will give you some excuse as to why he did so: "Autochton! Stop crafting better than me! That's illegal! Onee-chan, make that illegal!" Isidoros will not make such excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Also, his trickery seems rather direct, often enough. I mean, in OoT wasn't he in court because he was some kind of magician? Maybe some wish-granting powers were aiding him.

Zelda is, of course, a Sidereal. If she's in Sheik(or whatever that one's name is) form, she's simply wearing Armor of the Unseen Assassin. Probably a Chosen of Endings, but then we don't really get to see her abilities too much.

And then Link's a Solar
    Sounds about right. Unless you want Lunar Link specifically for the wolf transformation, but there are other ways to get that.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest, my major reason for thinking of Zelda as a Solar is the fact that she rules directly, not manipulating things from behind the scenes.

Now, in OoT, things may be different...

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

ED favoring Slayer sounds ideal for Ganondorf. Gives him a way to create those Dark Links.

I would also give him a few choice items from Reminiscent Oasis' recently posted Mardukth charmset (up to and including the Shintai that lets you soulfuse with a familiar), and the desert backgorund of the Gerudo tribe does open space for a couple of Cecelyne charms. And Hate Springs Eternal, can't forget Hate Springs Eternal.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    I would also give him a few choice items from Reminiscent Oasis' recently posted Mardukth charmset (up to and including the Shintai that lets you soulfuse with a familiar), and the desert backgorund of the Gerudo tribe does open space for a couple of Cecelyne charms. And Hate Springs Eternal, can't forget Hate Springs Eternal.
    Who's Mardukth and where can this charmset be found?

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

He's not particularly ordered about it, though, which is a main point of contention. He has an evil plan, yes, but even Steve has an evil plan. Likewise, he isn't really a hypocrite and doesn't put effort into twisting things up. He breaks them - a trait held in common with Isidoros and Malfeas. The deciding factor here for me is that Malfeas will give you some excuse as to why he did so: "Autochton! Stop crafting better than me! That's illegal! Onee-chan, make that illegal!" Isidoros will not make such excuses.

Sounds about right. Unless you want Lunar Link specifically for the wolf transformation, but there are other ways to get that.
    The way you phrase this, I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm purely talking about his urge: his motivation, which is set distinct from methodologies such as charmset. And his motive seems to me to gain power. He doesn't want to destroy things, he wants to rule them. Destroying them until they're small enough to rule is his methodology: I agree he is direct, all about the overkill and open application of force in his methodology and in the powers he uses. which does fit with malfeas. So, in my mind, a Malfean/Isidorian slayer caste with a Cecelynian urge.

Because Urge, Favored Yozi, and Caste can and should be mix and match for fun and profit.

...to be honest, I always saw both Link and Zelda as Solars- Link as Dawn and Zelda as a Zenith.

Remember, I've never played OoT.
    I agree with this. Though zelda (depending on game) is everything from a not-particularly-heroic-mortal to "Who let the Incarnae out of the games?"

Also:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit:
    Don't ask who Mardukth is! He'll never shut up about it once you get him started!
    Last edited by golentan; 2012-02-16 at 12:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Reminiscent Oasis posted a charmset for him in the whitewolf forums recently, but my whole internet is crazy and having trouble loading so I can't give a link. It loaded while I made the paragraph bellow, yay.

It has some interesting things, including a Followers version of Messianic (your powers rely on flunkies!) some charms that work off of familiar (and lets you turn any animal you find into a familiar and eventually be better an animal themed barbarian as Lunars don't wish they were. And your very own mountain-raising variant of CPI.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

26. - Top - End - #176

The way you phrase this, I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'm purely talking about his urge: his motivation, which is set distinct from methodologies such as charmset. And his motive seems to me to gain power. He doesn't want to destroy things, he wants to rule them. Destroying them until they're small enough to rule is his methodology: I agree he is direct, all about the overkill and open application of force in his methodology and in the powers he uses. which does fit with malfeas. So, in my mind, a Malfean/Isidorian slayer caste with a Cecelynian urge.

Because Urge, Favored Yozi, and Caste can and should be mix and match for fun and profit.
    The terrible way that part of the book was written has left me wondering exactly how GSP character creation actually works on several occasions. I'd always assumed you had to have an Urge from either of your two patrons. Since all the iconic GSPs have Urges matching their caste, it wasn't exactly helpful.

27. - Top - End - #177

Actually, Zelda and Link are a perfect fit for a Lunar and Solar bonded pair. The various games are about the different bearers of their Exaltations, repeating an endless cycle of heroism and love.

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek
    Mardukth is (er, was, until the Solars got to him) a Primordial who would not shut the hell up. Was severely neurotic and had an identity crisis, so he kept asking everyone around him who the hell he was. The world got sick of his **** so hard that it started growing just to get away from his whiny ass. He also looked like something out of a heavy metal album cover. Then the Empyreal Chaos came along, planted a boot firmly up his ass, and took over. Thank him.

Mardukth's Charmset can be found here. RO does solid work.

Who is missing the joke?
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I'm going to take back the "Link is a Solar thing".

Why? Because of fate. Remember, he's always fated to come into his power. Plus, in many ways, Ganon always dwarfs him, powerwise. But Link manages to win through trickery.

He could very well make a good Sidereal. In fact, I'd say he's a Sidereal of Endings, while Zelda is of Battles.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The terrible way that part of the book was written has left me wondering exactly how GSP character creation actually works on several occasions. I'd always assumed you had to have an Urge from either of your two patrons. Since all the iconic GSPs have Urges matching their caste, it wasn't exactly helpful.
    Nope, any Infernal can have any urge AND any favored yozi. Patron yozi is fixed by caste tho. The Iconics are non-helpful on several levels, but I don't think that should detract from the joys of good infernal character building. I've had fun with a Scourge Caste with Kimbery Favored and an Ebon Dragon Urge. The scourge caste mostly provided base "stealthy character" skills, but also some really good mobility charms. Kimbery provided a vast wealth of poisons, and the ebon dragon provided the motive to use those poisons to spread fear and corruption among his enemies.

Also, Ebon Dragon and Kimbery have some crazy synergy going on. One of my favorite combinations. Heelloooo arbitrarily high hardness.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    Actually, Zelda and Link are a perfect fit for a Lunar and Solar bonded pair. The various games are about the different bearers of their Exaltations, repeating an endless cycle of heroism and love.
    however keep in mind that its Link thats the Lunar.

Why? because he travels through and bends time, has shapeshifted into a deku, a goron, a zora and a wolf, has shrunk down to a small size, comes from the woods, has a fairy companion, and if I remember correctly he once divided himself into four Links in one game. he has also done various other things using music, none of which I can see a Solar doing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".