New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trogland Meetup Episode VI: The Return of the Forumites

Lengthy post a few space up, please review and begin discussion...
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    4. By popular request, we will have a high ropes activity at the Ropes course this year. As the only qualified person to do the belaying activites, I will have to get some rest on Friday night. This will also significantly impact my ability to grill burgers and veggies for the Saturday cook-out. This will still happen, but I will have to pass the apron to another qualified volunteer.
    OMG I CAN FINALLY DO THE ROPES COURSE!

Also, I talked to Gryffon, and he is willing to help with the grilling so you can work your hippie magic, Hippie.
    Spoiler
    Show

Little Fears banner by Crimmy
    Queen of Hearts avatar by Alarra

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

4. By popular request, we will have a high ropes activity at the Ropes course this year. As the only qualified person to do the belaying activites, I will have to get some rest on Friday night. This will also significantly impact my ability to grill burgers and veggies for the Saturday cook-out. This will still happen, but I will have to pass the apron to another qualified volunteer.
    I call dibs! Mine!.

I already have my own apron though. Of which I will post a picture later for my credentials.
    CEO of Evil Incorporated: "Subjugating humanity for a better tomorrow."

4. - Top - End - #34

I already SAID that. Should I ruin it for people? LOL

That being said, I think there are photos of me wearing it somewhere on my Facebook.
    Last edited by Diva De; 2012-02-14 at 12:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Diva De View Post
    OMG I CAN FINALLY DO THE ROPES COURSE!

Also, I talked to Gryffon, and he is willing to help with the grilling so you can work your hippie magic, Hippie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I call dibs! Mine!.

I already have my own apron though. Of which I will post a picture later for my credentials.
    Done and done. Pics could be entertaining though... just keep it PC.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

If we have at least 2 people besides Hippie doing the grilling, everyone who wants to do the ropes can, so I can also volunteer to assist with the grilling. And let Edie know that she need not be shy about asking for help making cookies and such.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Man...we need to really do one of these in VA. Not that I don't love you guys, but driving that far...

'course, then, you guys might be the ones driving farther, so that'd suck for you.

But seriously. Wasn't this originally known as the "Southwest Trogland Meetup?" We could have a "Northeast Trogland Meetup" in Richmond, maybe...
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2012-02-14 at 01:27 PM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

8. - Top - End - #38

MEETUP!

Fully in support of Ootscon dice. That sounds awesome.

5. Lastly, we have had thoughts about including some additional gaming options beyond boardgames and card games. In past meet-ups we have had some actually one-shot D & D sessions and such, and wanted to gauge the interest level of doing this again. This would require some coordination, as well as folks willing and able to draft a game and characters for folks who wanted to play. We had though of encouraging some sign-up for folks who were interested in running a game, offering "time slots" throughout the weekend as well as "registration".
    If there is interest in this, I suggest we have 'running games' or somesuch added as its own section to the OP.

If this is something we want to pursue, we should probably start talking about it soon. I anticipate that this would be pretty free-form in terms of when people want to meet on a per-group basis ("lets take a couple hours at the ropes course" or "we'll game at Mid-City"), but it will involve some communication.

We hadn't really talked about this as yet, Hippie, but if any further coordination efforts are needed, I can take care of that, too.

I believe Gryph has put a d&d game on the table (this 4e, I assume?).

Last year, some of us were talking a bit about Little Fears - if people are still interested, I'd totally run a short game this year.

~PS
    "One Penguin To Rule Them All..."

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm invisible...I'm invisible...I'm baby mice-ing invisible!" ~ Diva De

The Boot. Fear it.

Thanks to Trog for OotK icon
    Also, thanks to El J, Kubb Ambassador

9. - Top - End - #39

Gryff would likely run a module, I would think.

Hey, is the games list from last year good to copy over to this year, or do we wanna build from scratch?
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinsushi View Post
    MEETUP!
    I believe Gryph has put a d&d game on the table (this 4e, I assume?).
    ~PS
    For D&D, I would be able to run 4e. I have some of the Encounters seasons available (w/Pre-gen characters), that I could run. They would cater to new and seasoned players alike.

I also wouldn't mind running a competition-style delve, where you bring you're own character with the goal of surviving the longest. The same delve could be run multiple times over the weekend.

As long as I have warning, I also have some other systems that I could probably put something together for, like the Ghostbusters RPG, D20 Modern, or Star Wars D20.

Also with enough interest, I could be convinced to do some version of the Call of Cthulu RPG, BESM(Big Eyes, Small Mouth), or the Dresden RPG .
    Last edited by Gryffon; 2012-02-14 at 03:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Hey, is the games list from last year good to copy over to this year, or do we wanna build from scratch?
    Last years list is probably a good start, and we can make corrections...

For D&D, I would be able to run 4e. I have some of the Encounters seasons available (w/Pre-gen characters), that I could run. They would cater to new and seasoned players alike.

I also wouldn't mind running a competition-style delve, where you bring you're own character with the goal of surviving the longest. The same delve could be run multiple times over the weekend.

As long as I have warning, I also have some other systems that I could probably put something together for, like the Ghostbusters RPG, D20 Modern, or Star Wars D20.

Also with enough interest, I could be convinced to do some version of the Call of Cthulu RPG, BESM(Big Eyes, Small Mouth), or the Dresden RPG .
    Good lord! Don't over-extend yourself man! You already volunteers to help man the grills!

Oh... and Mango, we always welcome cookie assistance. We will probably recruit seom food prep before transporting things to the ropes course again. Not to mention the "pre-dawn" shopping run to get supplies...

edit: @V "like" Ca$h -n- Gun$ Godfather.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Good lord! Don't over-extend yourself man! You already volunteers to help man the grills!
    I wouldn't be doing all of them. Those are just options of games that I have an interest in running. I'd also be designing any adventures with a time window in mind, so as to not monopolize too much time for people.

I'll also be assuming my traditional role of Godfather for the game of Ca$h 'n' Gun$ Live.

Oh, and I'm also somewhat interested in running a Live version of Futurama-themed werewolf, as an encore to the one that was done on the forums. >.<
    Last edited by Gryffon; 2012-02-14 at 03:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

1. We found a new restaurant that we wanted to utilize for Friday night. Mainstreet Pizza has not been condusive for out purposes in regards to having everyone gathered together, so we present.... Cootie Browns! This is another local restaurant with an excellent menu variety. Pizza, burgers, sammiches, salads, tamales, veggie and even vegan options! They also have a good beer menu, and space to accomodate a fairly large group. They even sell cool tye-dye tee-shirts!

2. We selected this as an option because it was also just up the street from our best resource for boardgames. We had thought that as folks start to arrive on Friday, we would make a short trip to Hobbytown if someone wanted to buy a new boardgame, support local business, etc... then head up the street to eat and begin festivities.

3. Sadly, the hippie hut will be closing down a little early on Friday night. The excitement of everyone arriving and reconnecting, will still probably occur there, but we will be encouraging folks to continue late Friday night festivites at another venue (hotel or other is up to you). The reason for this I will address in the following point.

5. Lastly, we have had thoughts about including some additional gaming options beyond boardgames and card games. In past meet-ups we have had some actually one-shot D & D sessions and such, and wanted to gauge the interest level of doing this again. This would require some coordination, as well as folks willing and able to draft a game and characters for folks who wanted to play. We had though of encouraging some sign-up for folks who were interested in running a game, offering "time slots" throughout the weekend as well as "registration".
    1) Yeah, being split up to opposite ends of the restaurant was unsatisfactory. Also, I like trying new restaurants.

3-4) Makes sense to me. I can lend a hand with the Saturday morning supply run again, if people who are able to sleep don't want to get up quite so early.

5) Sounds good. If the player/GM ratio is too high, I'd be willing to take a stab at running a game myself (probably very low level D&D 4E, if so).

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinsushi View Post
    Last year, some of us were talking a bit about Little Fears - if people are still interested, I'd totally run a short game this year.
    "Little Fears"? What's tha- Oh. Wait. I'm on the internet. I'll just go and... come right back.

Well. Gosh. That sounds really interesting. How many players would you be looking to take on if you were to run that?

Is that the original d20 Star Wars, or Saga Edition?

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

A quick review of the leave policy at work pretty much guarantees that I probably can't take any time off that weekend if I want to vacation with my family. We'll see if that changes.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    1)
    Is that the original d20 Star Wars, or Saga Edition?
    I have the books for the original, and the PDFs for Saga. I haven't looked at Saga much, but hear it's a great improvement on the original. So if SW D20 was in the cards, I'd probably go with that.

16. - Top - End - #46

@Gryf: Saga isn't that big of a jump. I have a couple copies of the core book you can use (if you all can promise to take good care of 'em - they're out of print).

@Philistine: I could probably handle up to 6. Alarra, Zeb, Indy & Katie have reserved slots if they want 'em.

~PS
    Last edited by Penguinsushi; 2012-02-14 at 09:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

The Boot. Fear it.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Aforementioned photo demonstrating credentials for cooking:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

That's some serious credentials!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Cootie Browns! This is another local restaurant with an excellent menu variety. Pizza, burgers, sammiches, salads, tamales, veggie and even vegan options! They also have a good beer menu, and space to accomodate a fairly large group. They even sell cool tye-dye tee-shirts!
    This makes for a happy Zombie. Not that getting a pizza from Main St.'s chief competitor and then bringing it into Main St. wasn't exciting (and it was good pizza), but man did they take forever.

I'm capable of running some 4e action, which would probably be something oriented around solving a single large puzzle with only 1 or 2 encounters. Also, I have a cool board game called 7 Wonders; easy to learn and only takes about 30 mins.

Actually, random thought: If we have enough interest (like, say, 4 or so groups), the DMs could collaborate and run something tournament-style.

Finally, because of a minor disappointment last year, I am placing dibs now on some non-bacon flavoured Hippie beer. Preferably a scottish whisky ale if you're making it this year.
    Remember when I had an avatar?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Thread already? Man, it feels too early. I don't even have my spring stuff fully set, I can't plan all the way to summer!
    I know, right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that.

Anyway, I remember being told by several folks at Gencon last year of the importance of this meetup, so I am planning on making my way there this year. Now I just need to determine if I feel like driving...8ish hours or take a flight.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    I know, right? I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that.

Anyway, I remember being told by several folks at Gencon last year of the importance of this meetup, so I am planning on making my way there this year. Now I just need to determine if I feel like driving...8ish hours or take a flight.
    8ish hours is not THAT long compared to a lot of people going. It's 7 hours for me and tyckspoon (10 if we get Recaiden, more if he wakes up late because we forgot he's in a different time zone. Stupid Indiana.).
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

while you all know I would absolutly love to arrive unannounced and get hippie... AGAIN. I'm not sure i could pull it off again, for a whlie anyway... you're safe this time Hippie.
    *STAB*
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2012-02-15 at 06:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

23. - Top - End - #53

Aforementioned photo demonstrating credentials for cooking:

Spoiler
    Show
    This. THIS is why I married him. Let's examine the layers of awesome here. First, he is cooking dinner. Secondly, he is doing so wearing his Mandolorian apron. Over his "Boba Fetch" t-shirt. Wearing his Boba Fett helmet. And the observant...observer...will note the Stay Puft marshmallow man on the fridge behind him.

Also, Reverent, LOVE the Vash avvie.

@v: Anytime, Llama. Anytime.
    Last edited by Diva De; 2012-02-15 at 10:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Well, the llama's board game collection has grown a bit since last year. I've picked up, Why Did the Chicken (thanks, De!), The Resident Evil Deck-Building Game (w/ Outbreak Expansion) , Elixir , two more expansions for ZOMBIES!!!,, and some big box expansions for Arkham Horror (although someone else will have to supply the base game.)

I'm sure I've got a few more things that I'm forgetting. All of these will be available for play at the Trogland Meet-up!
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Indurain had the BEST story about that. On his way across the border to his first meetup, he told them he was meeting friends. When asked their names, he replied, "Zeb the Troll, Atreyu the Masked Llama, El Jaspero the Pirate King, and Smellie Hippie."
    Yeah, when crossing the border, ensure you know real names for the people you are going to see. Apparently the U.S. Border Patrol is very suspicious of anyone crossing to meet people from the internet.

As for the meetup.....OF COURSE I'M COMING!! And so is Katie. It's the only thing we've both already booked off.

I have a few things to add to the list of games, but can't think of them now at work. Will update later.

Little Fears - I'm in for sure. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since last year, and my current DM refuses to run it. (He did just have a baby)

I also have a new game that I've been addicted to for the last year or so called Apocolypse World, which I'd be happy to run a one/two shot of. WARNING: This game may change the way you look at RPing, enter at your own risk.

Anyway...yeah...we're in...Can't wait. Miss you all dearly.
    Masquerade Indy by Gnomish Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Mustiado View Post
    Still think that was an epic prank, *snip* Kudos, gentlemen.
    I was outzombied by the baby!!

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
    As for the meetup.....OF COURSE I'M COMING!! And so is Katie. It's the only thing we've both already booked off.

Little Fears - I'm in for sure. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since last year, and my current DM refuses to run it. (He did just have a baby)

I also have a new game that I've been addicted to for the last year or so called Apocolypse World, which I'd be happy to run a one/two shot of. WARNING: This game may change the way you look at RPing, enter at your own risk.

Anyway...yeah...we're in...Can't wait. Miss you all dearly.
    This. Has just made. My day.

On at least 3 levels.

Definitely count me in for Apoc-World - I'm always up for new types of tabletop games.

~PS

Spoiler
    Show

The Boot. Fear it.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Little Fears sounds like fun, if there's still room. Or if there's a second group forming. And I want to give Apocalypse World a whirl based on nothing but the name.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

28. - Top - End - #58

I would be in for Little Fears as well. WHO NEEDS SLEEP ON MEETUP WEEKENDS?!?!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    8ish hours is not THAT long compared to a lot of people going. It's 7 hours for me and tyckspoon (10 if we get Recaiden, more if he wakes up late because we forgot he's in a different time zone. Stupid Indiana.).
    Yeah, that's why I'm still considering. If it was much longer, I'd be flying for sure.

Also, Reverent, LOVE the Vash avvie.
    Thanks, it is awsome.

Anyway, game talk. I have Rune Age and the Order of the Stick game (aka the Weekend game, apparently). I have no idea what Little Fears or Apocalypse World are. And if someone was running a one-shot RPG game in 4e, PF, or Star Wars SAGA, I'd definitely be up for it.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh, dice.

Just how far away IS Johnson city...

*goes to check*
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !