New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Blackwood - A Folkloric "Mini" Setting (WIP, PEACH)

Eh. Sorry to keep coming back to this, but I don't think you should have Sir Rinhart in the starting flavor text. It just... makes it seem like it revolves around him. I mean, look at the other entities you have listed: the Elder King, the elves, bandits, and this one dude. It makes him seem important, mythic. I think a bit more vaugeness would serve the flavor better. I mean, you could have Sir Rinhart as a suggestion for a main questgiver in the DM section, statted out, etc, but I'm basically saying I don't think he belongs in the opening text.
    LGBTA+itP

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see what you're saying. His inclusion in the list was twofold: I wanted to sprinkle in examples of names in the setting (which I forgot to do in all the other flavor text ), and I wanted to tease out the history of the setting completely separate of gameplay. That said, I think there are much better ways to sprinkle those names in, and I'd prefer to keep those large quotes devoted to peoples and organizations instead of individuals.

How does this read?
    The Council at Sky Pillar, an august body of knights, has called upon their fellows to join with the errant heroes...
    I just thought of another thing I could do! When I mention names, I want to inject a little of the "GASP! Master Flying Turtle's Magic Spear of Justice!" name dropping seen in Kung Fu Panda. I'll probably end up using the names of the iconics I have for the setting, who are all long-dead ancestors. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-02-27 at 01:17 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

I like that a lot better.
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

I just added this under the "Tales" section of Denvorn for Players. I wrote it all over my lunch break, so it's pretty solidly a rough draft.

Iconic characters embody the spirit of the Blackwood Campaign Setting. They exist not to overshadow the player characters, but to serve as optional inspiration. While unstatted, the character descriptions nevertheless include a suggestion of their key attributes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Sir Rinhart the Just stands as the living ideal of a warrior’s chivalry. He is bold in action, sincere in word, and duty bound to his liege and his people. He is a master of falchion and buckler, and sits on the Knights’ Council at the legendary hall at Sky Pillar.
    • Red Bear is a masked rogue who, like many errant heroes, has forsaken his familial duties to aid the rest of the Blackwood. He is a hero in the eyes of the downtrodden, and an enemy to many a corrupt noble. His twin Antler Knives have never known defeat.
    • The Woman in the Wood is more legend than truth. They say she has always walked the Wood, and that nothing is clever enough to find her home. She knows ancient secrets, and wields all the magic of the Elves toward her own twisted ends.
    • Sparrow Sonne, head of Sonne Security and Shipping, is a savvy merchant and formidable fighter. Once she prided herself on her skill with an axe, but since losing a duel has used no weapon but her body. She carries on her father’s profession, but once wished for a different life.
    • Peak has always towered over other men. This enormous pagan serves as the personal bodyguard to Gerdrud Blackwooder, captain of the Sun Kite. He wields a great club, and protects himself from harm with great superstition and a belt full of magic totems.
    • Moon began her life as the daughter of a noble, where her days were filled with sewing, calligraphy, and boredom. Fleeing an arranged marriage, she found herself amongst the Spearwood Brotherhood, and has become a nimble spear fighter and noted tracker.
    • Owl Guntram is as crafty as Woodfolk come. He knows the names of every animal and plant, and can use both to craft useful tools and potent remedies. He carries a lute when not wearing bow and quiver, and loves nothing more than sharing a tale or striking up a jig.
    • Aleidis Vornem serves as a Classicist in the Order of Iron, and no man or woman in the Elder Kingdom can prove her equal with a longsword. She hides her scarred face behind a mask of gold, and uses the wisdom of the Elder King to guide her body and blade in combat.
    • Werner of Freeport is a young Classicist in the Order of the Court with an undeniable talent for cartography and an irresistible weakness for revelry. He seems to bumble his way into constant trouble, but uses his keen intellect and dumb luck to find his way back out.

Thoughts? Like I mention in the write up, I'm using these strictly as optional inspiration (they're now more like in-universe fictional characters than the long-dead ancestors like I said... haven't decided which idea I like better), but I'm also using them to tease out information about the world. Is this effective? There are five male and four female iconics, with both genders to be found amongst warriors, rogues, and mages alike.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-02-27 at 02:57 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Just read this great article on making players even more awesome. And a few other things on that blog. I'll definitely be adding some fun ideas to the GM section of the setting write-up. Stay tuned for some cool ideas! They will need critical eyes.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Your NPCs suck and they are all going to die
    Bull. ****.

A DM's plans for his NPCs are subordinate to the player's plans, that's true. But that's no excuse for having them all take a dive or be one dimensional. And there should be more the world than how it relates to the PCs. It needs depth.

Just... that section rubbed me the wrong way.
    LGBTA+itP

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Just... that section rubbed me the wrong way.
    I know where you're coming from. The article doesn't mince words, so it hits pretty hard in places. I appreciate the "this is not the GM's playground" message, but I think he pigeonholes himself a little bit by going all-out for the rockstar metaphor. I'm near the fringe of that mindset (I like the idea of players having ridiculous amounts of fun with their characters), but it almost seems like he's going for a Metalocalypse-style rockstar world, which is a little further than I'd want to go. Unless it's just a one-shot, because a little red sky/black earth metal never hurt anybody.

I'm re-vamping my random tables yesterday and today, and I'm having more fun than I'm comfortable admitting. That is all.

.::EDIT::.

I've been toying around with the idea of having different modules in the setting serving different playstyles. Here's what I've got:

Denvorn Province Frontier Sandbox - "The region has fallen into darkness! Help them out!"
    Span and Three Rivers City Sandbox - "Two very different cities a day's journey apart. What story do they tell?"
    Sky Pillar Megadungeon - "Want to learn from the masters? You must navigate the Spire Bridges, and avoid the mists below."
    The Stag & Dragon and High Hall Dominion Play - "The masters of both settlements have died. They must be replaced. Which will you control?"

Thoughts? I'm leaving Freeport, Sentry Grove, Grey Folly, Grand Delving, and Spearwood for people to flesh out on their own as they play through the modules.

Eldest, I'd especially love to hear your thoughts about combining Three Rivers and Span into one module, since you've spent a little time in both areas.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-03-03 at 11:48 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's an "actual play" roundup of the Microscope games I've been playing with my friends IRL. It has nothing to do with the Blackwood, but it's the result of about 6 hours of play, and I really love what we came up with. It will serve as the setting for a WRM game I'm running to introduce them to tabletop RPGs. I. am. stoked.

Kasan, The Valley of Harmony

Big Picture: The life and times of a mountain valley realm.
    Palette: Multiracial Asianish Race War Refugees with No Modern Weapons
    Foci (in order): Prosperity, Race Relations, Commonground, Dhaval's Story

Note: (L) and (D) are used at the beginning of periods, events, and scenes to indicate a Light or Dark tone, respectively.

(L) The Arrival (Before Kasan)
    Disparate peoples make exodus to mountain valley to establish a new realm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Race Wars had pitted the wide world against one another for decades. Elves, Nords, Redguards, and Gnomes were locked in senseless fighting, and they threatened to bring about the total collapse of civilization.

Many in the world were tired of this racism and hatred. In particular, a group of Nord explorers spurned their warlike culture, and discovered a secret, pristine valley in their travels. They found magical caves in the valley’s center, and discovered that they could use these caves to send a message to any soul they wished. One of the greatest among them, Chuluun Bataar, used this power to whisper to everyone in the world who wanted something other than bloodshed.

He called them to the valley to begin a new life. Gnome craftsmen came, seeking the freedom to create their strange devices in peace. Elven magicians came, escaping the irrationality and ignorance of the world outside. The Redguard King came with a portion of his people, intent to learn a new way of government.

Secretly, the Fairies that lived in the valley watched from a distance, choosing to stay hidden instead of intervening in this new dream.

(D) Settlers (Years of Kasan 0-YK 3)
    A time of adjustment, when the land is discovered and tamed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The races began to settle in the valley, and for the first three years they found forests rich with timber, ample waterways, and Pygmys: small pigs that could provide both food and clothing. A charismatic Nord leader, Chuluun Baatar, walked among the races, welcoming them and learning about his new neighbors.

The Nords kept the caves a secret when the other races arrived. They could not trust their power to the others, but then the Elves discovered the caves by tracing the magic from the whispers to their source. Arguments erupted, and the Four Races nearly came to blows.

But in the midst of four battle lines, a glimmering glass arch appeared in front of the mouth of the cave. Small fairies came from this arch, The Sisters of Kasan, and warned of a curse: whosoever sheds blood in the valley would bring about total ruin.

They calmed the hearts of the Four Races, but everything almost came to ruin when the Nords who had entered the caves mysterious began to die. It remained an unsolved mystery for many years, but it sowed doubt amongst the Four Races.

(L) Commonground (YK 3-YK 38)
    Races gather around the caves, form a town called Commonground.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fairies, beautiful, magical women who lived in the Glass Monastery of the Caves, called a council of the Four Races. They all agreed to form a unified government, The Fellows. Each race would elect ten representatives, and these Councilors would serve for ten years each. Leadership of the senate cycled through each of the races over four years, though even the First Councilor ruled only at the whim of the Fellows.

The fairies also shared secrets with the Fellows. The brewed a magical, golden tea that was their sole nourishment. For the Four Races, though, it triggered powerful magic ability, and they ruled that it should be kept away from the populace. The fairies also revealed the secret of their intricate forehead tattoos; improper conduct caused the mark to grow. The Fellows established that each of them would receive the mark upon taking office, and dubbed it the Councilor’s Mark.

But shortly after this council, a vagrant fairy named Mali unknowingly sowed seeds of dissent. Drunk from the Golden Tea, she shared the secrets of its properties with Spracket Geartumble, one of the Gnomes of the Fellows. He held these secrets close, wondering what might be achieved with them.

(D) Rising Darkness (YK 38-YK 56)
    First suspicions of a black market arrive in the valley.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nearly forty years passed, and the Four Races flourished. The Nords explored, the Gnomes crafted, the Elves deliberated, and the Redguards built a trade network of river boats and caravans. The Fairies served as advisors on the council, offering wisdom but never taking action.

The only blemish on the valley’s progress and prosperity in those happy years was that Naraan Baatar, grandson of Chuluun Baatar, was caught studying black magic. He was tried, found guilty, and imprisoned
    for life.

Everything changed on the Day of the Innocents in YK 55. Two Elven maidens, Akemi Brightwater and Tamiko the Fair, died screaming for hours in a strange tongue and convulsing uncontrollably. No blood was spilled, but the valley reeled at such an evil-seeming tragedy.

Mali the fairy realized that the girls each died after visiting The Sun’s Bounty, a tea shop in the village of Yellowplow near Commonground. Spracket Geartumble owned this shop, and she feared the worst. She confided in Dhaval, the prince of the Redguards and a close friend to her. Dhaval was a new Councilor, and launched a full investigation into the matter. A large Gnomish Black Market was uncovered, and Spracket was imprisoned for life.

(D) The Realm Divided (YK 56-YK 60)
    Kasan Valley faces its greatest test of unity.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dhaval became a hero, and was advanced to the middle of the Redguard Delegation. In just five years he became First Councilor. The Council objected to such speed, but the commoners rejoiced and he kept his seat. He was soon to face many challenges.

The Elves, always so concerned with unity, saw the secrecy of the Gnomes as a deep betrayal. The Fellows refused to exile the Gnomes outright, so the Elves left Commonground for their towers and villages that
    dotted Kasan’s steep slopes. Further, the Geartumble Conspiracy had exposed the Gnomish Black Market, and all those responsible had to be brought to justice. This sent the Gnomes into even deeper hermeticism, vacating their Fellows seats and nearly cutting off communication entirely. Such disharmony sent the price of goods soaring, and the common folk began suffered.

Finally, the Four Races awakened one morning to discover that the Glass Monastery had vanished as completely as it had appeared sixty years before. No fairy was to be found, and the people took it as a gloomy omen. They demanded Dhaval do something to fix, and he was left to brood over a half-empty Council, wondering how to meet this new darkness.

I think it ended up being a pretty nuanced story about the failures of race relations (albeit with the best intentions), and has provided a lot of fuel for a story packed with political intrigue.

We knew we wanted multiple races, but the name and nature of them evolved naturally over the course of play. We've got Nords (basically Mongolians explorers), Elves (basically Japanese diplomats), Redguards (basically Indian gypsies), and Gnomes (...they're just Gnomes ).

For those of you who have yet to play Microscope, you're really missing out. It's a great tool for telling a story in its own right, but I like that--as a GM--you can use the players to create a world, providing that much more investment in (and familiarity with) the setting.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-03-04 at 12:57 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

I came up with a new spell to go along with the Waymaidens: sirens that prowl the Way and tempt sailors to their doom.

Beckon
    “Won’t you come for a swim?” she said, temptation dripping from her voice like the beads of water over her perfect flesh. The deckhand’s mouth hung open, and invisible tendrils seemed almost to pull him toward the pale woman floating in the dark waters below.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Circle 2nd
    Mana 2
    DL 7
    Requirement A drop of honey, an invitation, Grace
    Effect The caster’s voice becomes irresistibly compelling. Any person who can hear the caster is subject to a -1 penalty on all checks, which increases by -1 each round. Any person that stands within 5 feet of the caster is completely mesmerized, and obeys the caster’s commands. The spell can be maintained by expending 1 additional mana each turn.

Thoughts? Does it seem like a 2nd level spell, or maybe 3rd? The "requirement" section is for a mechanic that I probably won't end up tacking on, but I want to lay the ground work just in case I do.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaand another spell! My work on this setting is becoming more inefficient by the day.

Telltale Weather
    "I'm not headed down that," the warrior said, shaking his head as his torchlight died in the darkness of the chamber. Even as the words left his lips, a chill wind blew past, almost signalling him forward.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Circle 4th
    Mana 8
    DL 13
    Requirements ...we'll see.
    Effect For one week of in-game time, the weather reflects the atmosphere of a location and takes on a character all its own. Fog might denote mystery, rain oppression, and sunshine prosperity. This is left to the GM to decide, but should be agreed upon at the table. Each additional mana point spent on this spell increases its duration by one day.

First, this is right up Fairy Tale Alley.

Second, I pictured it being a nice way to open the door for nonsensical-but-thematically-appropriate weather, and also to help the players when they're stumped. It's currently 4th level because it can be a potential huge boon (plus it's wildly transformative). Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-03-12 at 02:32 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

To be honest, I'm not sure what this would do, other than provide an in-game explanation as to why the weather matched the theme. I mean, why would a PC ever cast it? Why would an NPC ever cast it? It might be that I'm just not seeing the possibilities, though.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    To be honest, I'm not sure what this would do, other than provide an in-game explanation as to why the weather matched the theme. I mean, why would a PC ever cast it? Why would an NPC ever cast it? It might be that I'm just not seeing the possibilities, though.
    Good questions! The flavor text hints at things like the weather being able to guide someone toward their goal, but it's a muddy description, but it's about the most expensive way a player could ask for a hint. This was mostly me just spit-balling and trying to make a 4th level spell, so it probably won't end up in the final version.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-03-12 at 03:32 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

I sat down to play Warrior, Rogue, & Mage for the first time in real life today, and boy did I have fun! I didn't use the Blackwood, but I used all the tables I've created for random generation and encounters. I had a theory that I could make a pretty gestural "Environment" table to help me flavor the scenes, and it worked great! Example: It was Corkscrew the Gnome's 2nd turn, and he was just finishing work at his dad's tea shop. I rolled twice for an encounter, resulting in something to do with "inn" and "elderly." Corkscrew has an incredibly acute ability to unlocking the magic within tea, so I put an elderly couple at a table outside the inn commenting on how great the tea was. He bought some for himself, and I used it as an opportunity to describe how he got one of his spells.

I think I'm going to include a people blurbs in the GM section about ideas for running a campaign in the setting. I want to give examples from play that highlight the different ideas that I think work really well in the setting. On the other hand, I don't want it to seem like I'm wielding a cudgel over the heads of anyone looking to GM the setting. Does it seem like tips would be helpful in that section, or should I leave them out?

Finally: I watched The Secret of Kells to wind down this excellent St. Patrick's Day weekend, and had a blast! It gave the perfect idea for an adventure path I'd been struggling with. It'll be great!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Tips are always welcome.

Saying that as somebody who works for tips, in part, but it also applies to your question.
    LGBTA+itP

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm posting mostly to avoid the thread dying. I'm meeting with a guy in the industry here in a few weeks, and I'd really like to get a completed rough draft of the Blackwood and Denvorn Province up so he can look at it. It's going to be a lot of work, but I think I can get it done! Keep your eyes peeled, everyone.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it here already, but I had an idea a few weeks ago that completely changed the way I think about these settings. I don't want to give away too much information, but I'm taking each of the five regions and laying them out on a spectrum of time as well as their physical distance from each other. This will allow me to explore different narrative genres (sword and sandals, steampunk, etc.) in the same meta-setting, which I think will make the history (and future) of the world all that much cooler. Stay tuned!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, come on, you don't want to spoil a surprise? It's not like I'm going to be a player in a campaign of yours again, most likely, since we all have little free time for the foreseeable future.

In other words, spill!
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, fine.

So I've got five regions: the southern desert (which I haven't named yet), the Central Sea, the Widelands, the Blackwood, and the Windy Isle to the north (not sold on the name there, either). I've decided to call the meta setting "The World of Myth," and each of these regions will focus on a different "mythified" concept.

In addition, each of these regions will be explored during a different era of the world's history, giving players an opportunity to experience it firsthand. One of my biggest concerns with this new endeavor is player agency, so I'm interested to know what you think of it from a player's perspective.

The World of Myth
    In the beginning, mankind lived on the cusp of paradise. The gods walked among them, and they wandered through the Hundred Seas. Then the gods left, the waters rose, and man was divided.

Dawnfire
    "The sands shift and melt amidst the mighty heat."
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the Dawnfire Age, the folk of the South split. Half among them wanted to hold the memory of the gods close, and wandered the Searing Sands in search of the old sacred places. They settled into many tribes, and worshipped many gods. Half wanted to strike forth, and sailed the Flooded Sea in search of a new life. They remained a solid people, and spread their riches over the world. Their pride proved their undoing.

The folk of the north were sundered. Half were cast far north, to the harsh winters of the Windy Island. They learned the ways life this new life through hardship and tragedy, but raised great works before their time was through. Half remained further south, shrouded in the overabundance of the Blackwood. The gods walked among them still, and they lived in the harmony of isolation.
    Genre: Sword and Sandals
    Myth: Mythic History
    Other: Conan meets Tomb Raider meets Babylon. Players will forage the desert ruins to shelter their nomadic people, and spread the empires of the Flooded Sea (which will eventually be called the Central Sea).

The Blackwood
    "The Wood provides, but always with a price."
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the Blackwood Age, the Unified of the Wastes spread north, and brought the wide lands into the fold of their god by branch and by sword. The seafolk declined, and fell to decadence and the occult in their fractured Duchies of the Central Sea.

The windfolk grew powerful, and their Petty Kingdoms raided the Widelands to the south for sustenance of mind and body both. The woodfolk became choked by the forest around them, and faced their greatest threat when the spirits of the Blackwood bid to overshadow them.
    Genre: Medieval Fantasy
    Myth: Mythic Wilderness
    Other: Grimm's Tales meets Wuxia. Obviously, the focus on this setting is the Blackwood. The Unified play a small role, but not many other cultures.

Empyrean
    "Mareal's Light shines all over the face of the earth."
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the Empyrean Age, the Union reached its zenith, flourishing due to trade with the Blackwood. They discovered groundbreaking technologies, and joined the war between Empyrean and Inferno. Mighty Intellects arose amongst the Centralians, who turned their roaming to profit with trade.

The Northern Empire stalled, choked by bureaucracy and infighting. They held global sway, but sat eating themselves from within. The Blackwood faded, and many of its people set out for new lands. They settled in garden cities, and returned to nature once more.
    Genre: Steampunk
    Myth: Mythic Horizons
    Other: Roman Catholicism meets British Imperialism meets the Wild West. Players will settle the Windelands frontier and fight in the war between heaven and hell. The idea of "mythic horizons" will be exemplified in the technological boom typical with steampunk, but it goes further in that their technology allows them to reach the planes of their angels and demons and join in the war.

The Current
    "The Current travels the space between waters."
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the Current Age, Empyrean fell to Inferno, and left it devoid of life. It became the medium for a wavelength known as the Current, developed by those Union scientists who persevered in the face of their end times. Centralians used this technology to discover the presence of horrifying extraplanar beings, pinpoint their gateways, and make war against them in spite of the dissolving social order around them.

Norta reformed its corruption, and became a solid nation once more. They remained aloof from the chaos of the south, and turned their hands to bracing for its shockwaves. The Leafers became a marginalized and meek people after their exodus. They were extinguished after Empyrean fell.
    Genre: Cyberpunk
    Myth: Mythic Knowledge
    Other: Far Cry meets Cthulhu meets not-quite Deus Ex. The setting will focus on the Central Sea. The "knowledge" bit will be represented by the immediacy of information thanks for technology (read: smartphones), and the mind shattering nature of these ancient evils.

The Cold Wind
    "The Cold Wind rises, and we stand at the ready."
    Spoiler
    Show
    By the time of the Cold Wind, the only people left were the Nortans. They had mastered a technology so immense that not even Armageddon could claim them. They exemplified their culture by persevering against all hope, and came face to the face with the icy beings that heralded the end of all things.
    Genre: Sci Fantasy (sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, blah blah)
    Myth: Mythic Future
    Other: Halo Forerunners meets Norse Pantheon meets Japanese Folklore. The only humans left live on a city hovering between the world and the Astral Sea. They deal with the politics of space station life, attempting to make the world habitable again, and combating the icy creatures from the depths of the Astral Sea.

From a player's perspective, would you be upset if, say, you played in the Blackwood setting only to find out that--no matter what you do--your people will die out just a couple of centuries later?
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-03-27 at 10:39 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Frankly, I wouldn't tell them.

Since that could be ruined, I'd instead do something else: steal a bit from So You Want To Be A Wizard, a bit from Bioshock Infinite, and a bit that I actually made up myself: the best of things are stored, by the gods or others, in a realm that both forms and is formed by the myths. It's a reflection, an echo of what was and what could have been, but it's better than naught, and have formed the solution to more than one problem, by meeting the right could-have-been person, and asking them the right question.

In other news, get Bioshock Infinite. Play Bioshock Infinite. Pay attention to the metaphysics. It will give you ideas.
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

I got my hands on a module from the earliest days of D&D: B1 - In Search of the Unknown. I'm really excited to see how it structures a "tutorial dungeon," but even the intro has a lot of cool stuff. One in particular is the idea of legends concerning an area.

At character creation, all players roll 1d4 and consult a chart:
    1: One legend known
    2: Two legends known
    3: Three legends known
    4: No legends known
    Then they roll the appropriate number of d20s and the GM consults a chart populated with legends about the dungeon, such as
    12) F The entire place is filled with guards left behind by Zelligar and Rogahn.
    15) The very walls speak to visitors.
    "F" means that the legend is false, but the player doesn't know that. 40% (8/20) of the results are false.

I really like this idea and plan to implement it into the Blackwood somehow. I was considering a chart of legends for the dungeon I'm building for it, Castle Highguard, but I think I'm going to expand that idea and make a huge chart including 5-8 legends for each settlement or noteworthy location. This gives me a total of 39 legends grouped into 6 broad location groups (8 legends each in 3 of those groups, 5 each in the others), but I'm going to add 5 regarding each of the 5 adventures I've created, for a total of 64 legends. My plan is for each of these legends to tease at the nature of an element of the Blackwood. For example, there will be a legend centered around a local Classicist who may be up to no good. Investigating this legend reveals information about the Classicists as an order, as well as providing action for the players.

Additionally, I want to provide a mechanical justification for "Storyteller" types. Characters whose Rogue attribute is their highest gain knowledge of an additional number of legends equal to half their Rogue score. They may spend these on any of the 6 location groups (their choice), and may reroll any false results.

Each legend (true or false) will be written in such a way that investigating it could be played out as a side quest. These are left to the GM to build, and can be vital or trifling as desired. I love this, because it gives the players choices and ideas, and gives the GM an opportunity to introduce new content.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a great plan and I'm cribbing it for if I ever run a game. I would make them aware that it could be false, and then have the GM know that if each individual bit is false or not is up to them, and the listed ones that are false are just recommendations. Rogue does seem like the best to know legends, so that's a good idea. Perhaps make that one of an array of possible bonuses for having rogue be your highest starting attribute, and make a similar array for the other two? If you have 2 or more attributes at the same level, you pick which array you pick from.

In other news, have you looked at Bioshock Infinite at all? If not, would you like me to talk about the metaphysics as it relates to your plan to have the world advance through time?
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

I hadn't considered it, but I like the idea of making the false bits optional. I'll definitely mark them as true or false as a guideline, but if the GM thinks it would be more interesting for something to be contary to what's written then that's just fine!

About Bioshock, I've been trying to stay spoiler free about it, but I haven't even played the first two games, so it's going to be a long time before I get around to this one. Metaphysicize away!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Um. Spoiler free. Crap.
    I'll get back to you later today about it.
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

I was lamenting my lack of interest in two of my five adventures for Denvorn Province when I had a revelation: I've got mechanics I'm creating specifically for the setting, but I haven't included them in any of my adventures yet. Conveniently, I have enough of these mechanics to totally spice up two drab adventures!

One such mechanic is ritual magic. I just finished writing this today, and I'd love to get feedback!

Rituals

Any spell may be cast as a ritual instead of a normal spell. Essentially, this replaces a mana requirement with a time requirement, which could be helpful (or harmful!) in the right situation.

Tabletop RPGs are about resource management. Hit points and available spells/mana have always been close to its heart, but once upon a time things like illumination and carry weights were equally important and consumable resources. Gameplay can be modified--sometimes drastically--simply by switching around the resources required for a given task, and every GM should consider this when building an adventure or encounter.
    Magic is typically cast from within oneself in the Blackwood, and is often focused through a meaningful personal object, from ancestral beads to religious pendants. Sometimes, however, there are situations when a character's magical nature isn't quite up to the task. These situations call for the magic to be teased from the environment itself, a process known as ritual magic. Rituals are much slower than typical magic, but the effects are equally powerful. Every ritual consists of the same elements: gathering, and casting.

Gathering
    Rituals require a certain amount of preparation. Material components must be located and gathered, and their magical properties can only be activated with the proper amount of focus.

The length of time required for gathering varies according to the power of the spell being cast:
    • 1st Circle: 1d6+4 Rounds
    • 2nd Circle: 1d6+4 Minutes
    • 3rd Circle: 1d6+4 Hours
    • 4th Circle: 1d6+4 Days

Bonuses and penalties can be applied to Gathering Checks depending on a number of environmental factors. Are resources plentiful or scarce? Are resources even legal? Are there people or creatures nearby who might notice a rise in the area's magical power? Or the coming and going of those responible for gathering the materials? These are important questions for the GM, and could make a ritual much easier or harder.

Casting
    When it is time for a ritual to be cast, the caster uses rounds of time instead of mana points to cast the spell. Each mana point that would normally be used during the casting of the spell is instead replaced with 2 rounds of time, to reflect the careful steps one must take to coax magic into the world from without.

This is the most important step of the ritual, and is quite sensitive. Disturbances like being touched or distracted could shatter the caster's concentration and ruin the ritual. In these unfortunate cases, casters must begin from the beginning of the Gathering stage.

Assistants
    Every cult leader has his flock of fanatics, just as every priest has his congregation. Ritual magic is made easier (and sometimes more powerful) by the presence of like-minded souls. Each assistant involved in a ritual decreases the result of Gathering checks by 1, lessens the Casting time by 1 (both to a minimum of 1), and temporarily increases Mana by 1 when using Mana Burn on the ritual. There is no limit to the number of assistants that may participate in a ritual (assistants may even be hired), but GMs should question the visibility of large rituals, and the feelings they might engender in NPCs nearby.

One thing I hope GMs take away from this module is that rituals can be a flavorful new way to integrate magic and spells into your campaign, but they come with a price. Certain prices are fixed, but GMs should try to include a storytelling price with rituals whenever possible. Rituals release large amounts of magical energy, which may be detected by hostile factions? Maybe one faction is particularly pleased that a ritual is being performed, but another is blind with rage. The point is that the stakes can be as high or low as anyone could wish.

In the hands of a lazy GM, rituals have the potential to be overpowered tools for the player. However, with the right introduction and with the proper application of external pressures, rituals could form the backbone for an entire evening of riveting play.

----

Thoughts? I'm not sold on the Assistants modifying Mana Burn in addition to Gathering and Casting checks, but I'm interested in anything anyone has to say.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, for one, you're going to need to define what mana burn is. I do not think you defined it in that segment, and I also do not think it was in the core rules for the WRM system. But been a while since I read those, and I've been busy with finals, so might very well be wrong.

But anyway, back to what I promised a long, long time ago and never delivered: a metaphysics way of ensuring that your players aren't unhappy with knowing that their efforts are doomed and their civilization will fall: my first solution, as always, is to not tell them. Failing that, then you get tricky.
    See, there's a bunch of worlds. Loads of them, an infinite number really. And the difference between the worlds is tiny: there's a coffee mug in this one, and no such mug in another. However, sometimes small changes build up to big ones, and so on. One world is substantially different from the "surrounding" worlds, while the general "flow" of all the worlds is in the same direction.
    However, I would just stick with "don't tell them," or failing that, "ask them to understand." This comes off as a bull excuse, and it is, slightly. But honestly, as long as you have each age spaced out over millenia, you can just point out that nothing lasts forever, and they had a huge impact in the present.
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoops! Mana burn=enhancement=powering up a spell according to WRM rules. When I put this in the .pdf I'm working on, I actually changed it from "mana burn" to "enhancement," which is a more evocative term for me.

Speaking of the .pdf I'm working on, I'm getting to the point where I can wrap it up! I'm going to post the Player's Guide and GM's Guide separately.

The Player's Guide will have a lot of information about the world (locations, factions, etc), as well as a list of spells (I made over 20 custom spells!) and extra mechanics that I've developed/appropriated that are relevant to the players. All of the information can be used by players, and I'd say about 90% of it is "in-character" text.

The GM's Guide will be pretty lean, with not much more than walkthroughs for the quest lines, random generation charts, and walkthroughs for mechanics I'm developing that would be better kept from the players' eyes. Most of this will be "out of character" text, and I think it will end up being around the same size as the Player's Guide. I think both books combined will only be about 30 pages.

I'm trying to decide if I should put all of the tales I've written in the Player's Guide, or just make a third .pdf containing all of them. Thoughts?

As for that cosmology, I like the sound of it! Honestly it's a little too science-y for most of the setting's history (it's almost exactly what we spent a few weeks on in one of my philosophy courses), but it's a compelling element for worldbuilding. I may end up leaving an explanation like that out of the different settings until near the end, when that higher order of philosophical thinking would be more commonplace. In the meantime, "trust me here" seems like a good enough angle to take!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Anybody scared of the dark?

Nightmare (4th Circle)
    Mana: 8
    DL: 13
    Those eyes were the last thing he remembered before the Classicist found himself standing in this strange realm. All was lost in half-light, and thick tendrils of shadow whipped around him like a cold and angry wind. The wind became the howls of ghastly creatures at the edge of sight, or did they? He couldn’t quite remember.

Spoiler
    Show
    This spell sends any one target within sight into a nightmare realm. In this realm, the target is attacked once per round by one of 1d4 spectral terrors (4HP, 8 Def, +2 to hit, 1d6). These monsters attack the target’s mind, and when the character reaches half health the player must forsake all access to a certain piece of knowledge as if he had never learned it. What particular piece of knowledge is lost may be suggested by the player, but the final decision rests with the GM. Track this damage using the character’s Hit Points. The character dies as normal when his HP is depleted.

The target must remain in this nightmare realm until all the spectral terrors are defeated. While the target’s mind is trapped inside, his body is helpless and unconscious in the real world. A DL 13 Mage check resists the effects of this spell. If the caster dies, the spell is broken. Each level of enhancement increases the DL by +1.

I'm having a ton of fun playing around with the power of 4th Circle spells.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been working on a new, larger map of the Blackwood to go along with the upcoming Player's and GM's Guides, and I'm finally ready to put up a preview! The hyperlink will take you to the preview on my deviantArt if it's too big here on the forums:

Blackwood Map v2.0 Preview:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm excited!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

It's coming up on 2 weeks since I last posted, so I wanted to give an update to keep the thread from dying.

I've been working on the new map a lot recently, and the setting guide has been put on the back burner. I want to release both of them around the same time, so I started editing my work on the Player's Guide last night. I'd prefer for each section to fit on either 1 or 2 full pages, and it seems like most of my sections are chilling out at 1.5 pages right now. I'm trying to find sidebar tips to throw in here and there, but I don't want it to get too crowded with information.

Hopefully I'll something I can post by early next week, but it's probably going to take a few days more. Work is really starting to ramp up, so my time that's usually devoted to this project is shrinking pretty rapidly.

Once more!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies for not responding, but... honestly, nothing I can respond to. I dunno enough about balance in WRM to know the power level of 4th circle spells, and... it's a map. A nice looking one, but a small snippet that really shows nothing. Looking forward to reading the stuff you put out, though.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #450
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

OT: @Zap Dynamic, what ever happened to that American Mythology setting you were working on last year? I'd be curious to see how it turned out.