New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Blackwood - A Folkloric "Mini" Setting (WIP, PEACH)

Thanks for commenting, JackRackham! I haven't worked on the American Myth project for a loooong time now, but I've got all the information saved to a Google Doc. It's something I would enjoy picking up again, but I'm so engrossed in this project that I don't know when I'll find time to jump back to that one. I'm considering using a lot of the elements we came up with for the American Myth setting in the Empyrean age of this setting, which is a steampunk adventure with a lot of exploration out on massive plains. I had originally planned to explored French culture in that setting, but I think American would end up being cooler anyway.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Thanks for commenting, JackRackham! I haven't worked on the American Myth project for a loooong time now, but I've got all the information saved to a Google Doc. It's something I would enjoy picking up again, but I'm so engrossed in this project that I don't know when I'll find time to jump back to that one. I'm considering using a lot of the elements we came up with for the American Myth setting in the Empyrean age of this setting, which is a steampunk adventure with a lot of exploration out on massive plains. I had originally planned to explored French culture in that setting, but I think American would end up being cooler anyway.
    I see. I've had projects do that as well. I was just curious. I was considering doing something similar and was going to look to borrow elements. But now it looks like I've been diverted. I'm gonna do something with a Sumerian/Babylonian theme.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

I still need another week or so with the map, but the pdf for the player's guide is done!

I'll post the link here in anticipation of starting the new thread (which will happen soon).

The Player's Guide to the Blackwood Campaign Setting

I'd love to know what you guys think!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

New thread? Why make a new one?
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

I need more posts at the beginning of the thread than I have available here. I had talked about starting a new one a few months ago. I'll be posting a big, obvious link to this thread whenever the new one gets started.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Been following this thread since the beginning. On a lark, I whipped up a logo for the setting...

Last edited by arkham618; 2014-03-21 at 04:09 AM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

WOW!

This is so awesome! This is amazing! Thank you so much! I'm going to add it to the setting document right away.

The setting guide has been updated with arkham618's awesome logo and an image that I found on deviantArt (used with the artist's permission). I also edited some of the sidebars so they wouldn't hang so close to the edge of the page, and fixed any typos I found.

Behold: The Player's Guide to the Blackwood v1.1

The old file is no longer available, so that link no longer works.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-05-25 at 01:08 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm whittling away at the GMs Guide (which will include a full sandbox module in a brand-new area: Denvorn Province) and the map, but I seem to keep giving myself more work to do. I'll work on a section only realize I need another section to explain it, then I'll change everything when I go back to edit. I'm also tweaking things here and there in the Player's Guide. I'm considering changing the font to sans serif (for easier online reading), but that's going to change page layouts a lot, so it will require a lot of pruning.

Anyway, here's something about the Blackwood:

Government in the Blackwood
    The Elder King is the source of all law and wisdom.
    When studied, his edicts reveal subtle truths and hidden treasures.
    All innovation that comes from this study is recorded in the Classics.
    Classicists script and preserve these tomes, and share their knowledge freely.

The Nobility shepherd the people of the Blackwood.
    They need to know the subtlety of the Elder King's edicts.
    Only this will guide the people to prosperity.
    Classicists often advise noble courts, to guide them on the path of wisdom.

Not everyone heeds the Classics of the Elder King.
    They would prey upon the weak instead of work among the able.
    The weak need a guardian to shield their fragile hopes.
    The Sentinels are these champions of the Elder King's justice.

In other words:
    - The Classics of the Elder King are the Magic Prosperity Generator.
    - The Classicists are the wizards who know how to turn it on and use it.
    - The Nobles are the ones who (ought to) know when to use it.
    - The Sentinels are the ones who make sure it's being used correctly.

This is ripe ground for planting. The three factions roughly correspond to warrior, rogue, and mage archetypes, and have an interplay that can fuel adventures for a long time to come. I'm working on finding a good way to express the "civilian" side of this, too (commoners, hunters, and storytellers), but that'll take a little while longer.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Still plugging away at the GM's guide. Work has finally picked up for the summer, so I find myself with less time, but I'm adding little bits to this project every chance I get. Lately I've been rounding out the Bestiary. Here are some entries!

Bandits
    The rejects of society, bandits are a haphazard bunch of criminals and unfortunates who nevertheless must prey on honest folk to survive. Some bandits revel in their work, while others are little more than bullied slaves.

Assassin
    A figure surreptitiously removes itself from the shadows. A night-black cloak billows open to reveal a cruel blade in a calm hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W1 | R8 | M3
    HP 13 | Def 10 | Mana 9
    Skills: Acrobatics, Bows, Thievery, Swords (bonus)
    Talents: Champion [Employer], Massive Attack, (bonus)
    Trappings: Crossbow (1d6+3, gp), Bolt x10 (10/2gp), Sword (1d6, 5gp), Lethal Poison x4 (see WyRM Ch. 6, 30 gp), Leather Armor (+2/-1, 15 gp), Dagger x4 (1d6-2, 2gp), Double Treasure
    Spells: Disguise (3rd), Eagle Slice (1st), Leaf Step (3rd), Silence (3rd), Sweetdeath (Tincture, 2nd), Trap (1st)

Assassins are some of the most dishonorable warriors in the Blackwood. They typically sell their skills, though many are still notably bloodthirsty. Their agility and use of poison make them the deadliest of foes.

Brute
    A scrappy man in worn armor blocks your path. “Yer gold or yer life!” he shouts, brandishing two rusted axes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 8 | R 3 | M 0
    HP 14 | Def 12 | Mana 0
    Skills: Athletics, Axes, Unarmed, (bonus)
    Talents: Dual-wield, (bonus)
    Trappings: Axe x2 (1d6, 5gp), Dagger (1d6-2, 2gp), Scale Armor (+3/-2, 23 gp), Standard Treasure

Brutes are the rank-and-file of the bandit world. They are a wide and varied lot, but each of them have prospered from their dark deeds. They are opportunists, and will fight or flee according to their own personal stakes.

Bandit King/Queen
    A buxom woman stands at the back of the bandits with her head held high. Her eyes are alight with pride, and a long blade rests at her hip.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 8 | R 0 | M 4
    HP 14 | Def 13 | Mana 8
    Skills: Appraise, Athletics, Swords, Daggers, (bonus)
    Talents: Leadership, Massive Attack, (bonus)
    Trappings: Dagger x4 (1d6-2, 2gp), Two-Handed Sword (2d6, 15gp), Chain Armor (+5/-4, 70gp), Double Treasure
    Spells: Eagle Slice (1st), Oakheart (2nd), Roar (1st)

Bandit leaders can be charismatic or cruel, but dedicate themselves entirely to their own villainy. They are masterminds of powerful schemes. Very few of their fellows can claim greater mastery of combat.

Scout
    A reedy youngster peeps out from the bushes with a pair of hungry eyes. He carries a bow in a pair of nervous hands.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 2 | R 6 | M 2
    HP 8 | Def 8 | Mana 4
    Skills: Awareness, Thievery, (bonus)
    Talents: Sixth Sense
    Trappings: Bow (1d6, 4gp), Arrow x30 (10/2gp), Dagger (1d6-2, 2gp), No Treasure

Scouts are usually the fresh recruits of a bandit party. Their task is to spy for potential targets as they learn the life of a bandit. Scouts are poor fighters, and prefer to avoid combat whenever possible.

There will be a section deciphering the format for these entries. Everything should be pretty straightforward, but one thing that I want to be sure to point out is that every individual in the Bestiary will have "bonus" slots for skills and talents. The number of skills/talents that a creature has is dependent on their number of attribute points (which follows the standard character advancement rules... 10 attribute points=3 skills/1 talent), but I always leave one skill and one talent unchosen, so GMs can customize the creatures however they would like.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

The bandits look good, though I find your choice to toss Assassins in with them odd. What's your work doing at the moment, since if I recall correctly you do something in theatre?
    LGBTA+itP

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Good thinking. I'm beginning to think more and more in terms of conceptual groups for the different factions. Things are becoming a *little* more black-and-white morality in the sense that "bandits" now means pretty much anyone who breaks the law. Assassins are the ninjas of the setting (because what's wuxia without ninjas?!), and I like the idea of assassination being illegal because it's dishonorable.

I'm in a show that chronicles the real-life adventures of people on Chicago's public transit. It's a late night laugh riot!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Good thinking. I'm beginning to think more and more in terms of conceptual groups for the different factions. Things are becoming a *little* more black-and-white morality in the sense that "bandits" now means pretty much anyone who breaks the law. Assassins are the ninjas of the setting (because what's wuxia without ninjas?!), and I like the idea of assassination being illegal because it's dishonorable.

I'm in a show that chronicles the real-life adventures of people on Chicago's public transit. It's a late night laugh riot!
    Ok, makes more sense. I was amazed that the bandits were far more organized than I had gotten the impression, to get assassins working for them. Heck, you still might want to make a pan-bandit "government" that consists of the really strong beating on the kinda strong, and the kinda strong beating on the weaker. it would make an interesting game, to try to topple that. Assassins being the ninja types, that's a good thought. And amusing. I'm imagining some of the jumping-from-tree-to-tree antics for the really good assassins, except in cities. Which then makes me think of the Halfling Rain...

Hm, would you mind PMing me a link or more information on the show? I'm interested now, and I'm out in the suburbs, an hour away by train. Something fun to do with friends.
    LGBTA+itP

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

I think describing the bandit "government" structure is a really great idea. I think I can use the format I set up for my recent post about Blackwood government to create similar hierarchies for bandits, common folk, and probably even pagans.

I'll have to brainstorm this! It would make for a really great, concise way to show players and GMs how the pieces fit together. One of my fantasies is to play a game where somebody recognizes a weakness in a power structure and uses it to radically alter the game world, so providing that power structure is something I'm really keen to do in the Blackwood. Thanks, Eldest!

Thinking about this...
    If the archetypes for each faction correspond to a particular WyRM attribute, what kinds of archetypes do you think you would find in bandit and pagan communities? Maybe for bandits:
    Con Artist (M)
    Thief (R)
    Brute (W)
    and for pagans:
    Witches (M)
    Hunters (R)
    Clanfolk (W)

They don't seem to match up especially well...
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-06-13 at 06:03 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm almost 75% finished with the Bestiary... but there are 42 different creatures/humans, so it's taking me a little bit.

I'm beginning to reconsider my plan. I think I'm going to start putting this stuff up on the forum as I finish each section, instead of waiting until I finish the whole .pdf like I had originally planned. I want to review my contents again to see if I really *need* to start a new thread, so keep eyes peeled for an update there.

By the way, I've decided to include a third book, a collection of the tales I've written... or at least the ones that are still relevant! Three great artists at deviantArt have lent their images for the covers of the Player's and GM's Guides and the Book of Tales, and I think it's all coming together to be a nice little bundle! I'm not thinking about selling these, of course, it just matters to me that everything looks as nice as it plays.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm almost 75% finished with the Bestiary... but there are 42 different creatures/humans, so it's taking me a little bit.

I'm beginning to reconsider my plan. I think I'm going to start putting this stuff up on the forum as I finish each section, instead of waiting until I finish the whole .pdf like I had originally planned. I want to review my contents again to see if I really *need* to start a new thread, so keep eyes peeled for an update there.

By the way, I've decided to include a third book, a collection of the tales I've written... or at least the ones that are still relevant! Three great artists at deviantArt have lent their images for the covers of the Player's and GM's Guides and the Book of Tales, and I think it's all coming together to be a nice little bundle! I'm not thinking about selling these, of course, it just matters to me that everything looks as nice as it plays.
    ARRG! Finish it so I can make commenty things! (Seriously, take as much time as you need. Don't want to rush you for the sake of a bad joke.)
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Great balls of fire, I'm finished with the latest map!

The image is way too huge to post here, so check out my deviantArt:
    The Blackwood, Described by Brother Werner of Freeport, Cartographer

I'd love to hear what you think.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

Great balls of fire, I'm finished with the latest map!

The image is way too huge to post here, so check out my deviantArt:
    The Blackwood, Described by Brother Werner of Freeport, Cartographer

I'd love to hear what you think.
    That is not massively craptacularly huge! I am disappointed. Deeply.

I like it. If you're going for an artsy look I'd suggest adding in an illustration or two to the blank, forested areas, but this makes sense for a map made by somebody in a monastery or a similar position of knowledge but inability to travel. Make sense? And I really like the cities at the top, it's a nice way to show the feel and general layout of each city and keep them straight in the player's head.

And one nitpick, I actually do have a fair amount of trouble reading the story and especially the white labeling for rivers and such. Would you mind reposting the story here (it's readable on the map, I just am having an off day with my eyes) and enlarging the labels (which I'm pretty sure I just can't read)?
    Last edited by Eldest; 2013-06-17 at 08:36 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Agreed on the landmark labels. On the map proper you can't tell one from the other. (having the coats of arms on each city is a very useful feature, however)

Also, you mention a yin-yang shape made with the pines and deciduous trees. I can sort of see where the Yin dot is (north and east of Span), but I can't see any other sort of shape.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

I noticed some spelling errors while I was copying the tale, so I'll need to work on correcting that today.

As far as the text size is concerned, are you guy clicking the download link to view the image at its full size? I feel like everything is fairly easy to read that way. If it's still too small, I can always upload the original file size.

Hearken to the Tale of the Elder King!
    Spoiler
    Show
    A very long time ago, when half of the Blackwood was still saplings, a child was born in the east of the forest. He shined with a great light when he was born, and the sun rises in the East every morning to remind the world of that auspicious moment.

As a child he roamed the forest from one end to the other. He stopped at every campfire so he could talk with the people that lived there. He loved to learn about people, and in time he knew the names of everyone in the Blackwood.

On his journeys he met a great stag with fur as soft as a cloud. Its eyes shone like stars, and glistening moss hung from its antlers. “Climb on my back,” it said to the boy, “and I will show you all the trees of the forest.”

And so the boy did, and they ran together over stick and stone. From the stag the boy learned the languages of every plant and animal. Every animal took the boy as their kind, except the wolf, which is too angry and proud to worship anything.

Of all the words the boy learned, his favorite were the words of trees, because they were soft and slow and very beautiful. When an animal would please him, the boy would write his name on the animal’s forehead with the words of the trees. “You are my dearest friend,” said the boy. “Thank you for protecting me and helping me grow.”

When the boy grew up he was beautiful and strong and wise, and flowers bloomed in his wake. Elves would come from every tree and pond to trick him, but he was too clever, and they tired of such hard sport. Before long, the man looked around and said “I have learned everything about the forest, and the people and animals who live here. It is time for me to rule the forest as a king should.” So he patted the stag, his closest friend and servant, on the back and left for the river.

He went to the river, where a great dragon rose to greet him. It coiled like a snake and spread out wings of sparkling mist. River weeds hung from its antlers, and its eyes were like two polished gems. “Climb on my back,” the dragon said, “and I will show you the path to your home.”

And so the man did, and as he looked around he said “This is the Way to my home, and word of all I do will travel down it towards the forest people.”

The dragon carried the man to the very end of the Way, high up in the mountains, to a long lake that reflected the stars even in the middle of the day. “This is your home, my liege,” the dragon said. “You grow old while we are young forever, so you shall be our Elder King.” And the dragon bowed down to the Elder King, and the Elder King wrote his name upon the dragon’s forehead.

And then the Elder King walked to a great cleft in the mountains near the lake. With the help of the trees, rocks, and water, he made a great palace for himself. But he grew very lonely, so he would often visit his friends in the forest.

And all the animals and trees and flowers and people that worshiped him were very sad for the Elder King’s loneliness. They searched through the whole forest, and they found a woman who was wise and confident. All things shined when she looked upon them.

So the Elder King fell in love. He said “If you will be my Queen, we will watch over all of the forest together forever.”

And the woman curtsied and said “You are the wisest and greatest man in the world. I love you dearly, and I will stay with you for all time.”

And so the Elder King and Queen were married, and from that day they have sent their wisdom down from their palace to every corner of the Blackwood.

I feel like this is a nice story to introduce people to acquaint people with some of the places and place names (Stag & Dragon Inn, Heavenly Meadow Palace, etc.).
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been wildly busy these past two weeks, so I haven't had much time to work on the setting. Here are a few more entries from the Bestiary:

NPCs
    These are an example of specialized denizens of the Blackwood. Unstatted commoners are still likely to be the most often-encountered NPCs, but these represent stronger flavors of character for use as hirelings, trainers, allies, or even rivals or enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Classicist
    The woman enters the room, simple robes swishing as she seats herself at the desk. Her hand deftly takes up the quill, and she begins to write.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 2 | R 2 | M 7
    HP 8 | Def 6 | Mana 17
    Skills: Herbalism, Lore, Thaumaturgy, (bonus)
    Talents: Channeler, (bonus)
    Trappings: Staff (1d6, 2gp), Manuscript (20gp), Ancestor Beads (10gp)
    Spells: 2 Bonus

Classicists are scholars of every stripe, and finding one with particularly specialized knowledge is rarely difficult. They know the laws, customs, and history of society, as well as the ways of nature, agriculture, and combat. They are generally peaceful, but will defend themselves and their companions from harm.

Hunter
    The wiry woman dressed in rough leathers and furs draws back, keen eyes staring down her arrow. Her aim is true, and the wolf falls and lies still.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 3 | R 6 | M 2
    HP 8 | Def 8 | Mana 4
    Skills: Awareness, Bows, (bonus)
    Talents: Hunter
    Trappings: Short Bow (1d6, 4gp), Sword (1d6, 5gp), Meat (3 days), Materials (50gp)
    Spells: Whistle of the Lost (1st)

Hunters venture into the Blackwood every day to read the signs of the forest and to provide for their villages. They are masters of navigation and tracking, and their skills with a bow are renowned. They are usually slow to trust, but make devoted friends.

Keeper
    A robust old man sits at the front of the hall observing the Classicists at their desks. His robes are as grand and simple as his countenance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 4 | R 1 | M 7
    HP 13 | Def 7 | Mana 17
    Skills: Alchemy, Herbalism, Thaumaturgy, Lore, (bonus)
    Talents: Channeler, Leadership, (bonus)
    Trappings: Two-Handed Staff (2d6, 20gp), Manuscript (100gp), Ancestor Beads (100gp), Padded Cloth Armor (+1/-0, 8gp)
    Spells: Foster Growth (1st), Magic Armor (2nd), (Tincture) Elfwand (4th), (Tincture) Sage Pine (1st), (2 bonus)

Keepers are Classicists who have been granted mastery over an entire Hall of Classics. Most are advanced in age, and have lived long lives of deep study. A Keeper is always an authority on several subjects, but they will only permit audiences with noteworthy individuals.

Mercenary
    A brazen young man steps forward, cracking his knuckles and neck. He boasts of his unarmed skill and drops into a relaxed, bouncy posture.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 6 | R 3 | M 1
    HP 12 | Def 10 | Mana 2
    Skills: Athletics, Unarmed (bonus)
    Talents: Iron Fists
    Trappings: Unarmed (1d6+1), Leather Armor (+2/-1, 15gp), Half Treasure
    Spells: Roar (1st)

Mercenaries are inexperienced fighters who have no affiliation with an order. They sell their services to the highest bidder in the hope that they will be taken on permanently. They fight for their money, but will turn and run if things go too far against them.

Merchant
    The woman’s personality was as large and engaging as her figure as she shouted her wares. Many customers eyed the items with delight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 2 | R 4 | M 4
    HP 8 | Def 7 | Mana 8
    Skills: Appraise, Craftsman (Any), (bonus)
    Talents: Lucky Devil
    Trappings: Mace (1d6, 5gp), Double Treasure
    Spells: Beckon (2nd), Disguise (3rd), Inner Focus (2nd)

Merchants ply their wares from caravans and trade cogs all over the Blackwood. Their range is limited only by their own bravery, which can border on foolishness. Merchants will vary their prices based on their feelings toward a customer, but are almost universally interested in profit.

Sentinel
    Golden mail and polished plates gleam under this warrior’s pure white tabard. She bears and falchion and filigreed buckler, and wears a wide kettle helm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 7 | R 1 | M 4
    HP 15 | Def 15 | Mana 11
    Skills: Athletics, Awareness, Lore, Swords, (bonus)
    Talents: Tough as Nails, Armored Caster, (bonus)
    Trappings: Falchion (1d6, 10gp), Light Plate Armor (+6/-5, 90gp), Buckler (+1/-2, 5gp), Standard Treasure
    Spells: Eagle Slice (1st), Leaf Step (3rd), (Tincture) Sage Pine (1st), Whistle of the Lost (1st)

Sentinels are the epitome of chivalry and valor in the Blackwood. They are devout subjects of the Elder King, and devote themselves to aiding the weak and enforcing the law of the land. They volunteer their services when the cause is noble, but they do not often lack for food and shelter.

Spearwood Brother
    The man carries a supple shortspear, and two more are slung to his back. He wear a quilted jacket and a cuirass of thin, woven leaves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 6 | R 3 | M 2
    HP 12 | Def 8 | Mana 7
    Skills: Athletics, Awareness, Spears, (bonus)
    Talents: Hunter, (bonus)
    Trappings: Spear x3 (1d6, 3gp), Lamellar Armor (+4/-3, 35gp), Half Treasure
    Spells: Charm Animal (2nd), Leaf Step (3rd), Trap (1st)

The Spearwood Brotherhood has protected the eastern extremes of the Elder Kingdom for generations. The men and women who join this order are some of the finest hunters in the land. They guard their kith and kin from the trolls and other creatures of the far east, and do not often leave their wilderness stronghold.

Thief
    A hungry fellow slips through the crowd, ignored by everyone. Unbeknownst to them, one of his daggers is deftly slicing purses from belts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 3 | R 6 | M 2
    HP 12 | Def 8 | Mana 4
    Skills: Acrobatics, Daggers, Thievery, (bonus)
    Talents: Lucky Devil, (bonus)
    Trappings: Dagger x4 (1d6-2, 2gp), Half Treasure

Thieves are skilled characters, but they are not properly bandits. These cutpurses and pickpockets have yet to been caught for their deeds, and are typically poor and destitute. Most thieves can be found with a modest amount of spoils, but their hideouts are often packed with valuables on the way to the black market.

Vigilante
    This kindly woman drops a pouch of gold into the hands of a beggar. She is covered in small blades, yet carries herself with honor and confidence.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 1 | R 8 | M 3
    HP 10 | Def 10 | Mana 9
    Skills: Acrobatics, Lore, Thrown, Unarmed (bonus)
    Talents: Irresistible Blows, Unarmored Warrior, (bonus)
    Trappings: Dagger x10 (1d6-2, 2gp), Double Treasure
    Spells: Inner Focus (2nd), Leaf Step (3rd), One Hundred Blows (3rd), (Tincture) Sage Pine (1st)

Vigilantes are not content to wait for the nobility to mete out justice. The poor and hungry of the world need help faster than it can be given, and vigilantes place themselves outside the law for the good of others. These warriors are often rich to support their adventures.

What was the word about the map size? It wouldn't be difficult to make the text larger, but it will take an hour or so to do. I'd like to make sure it's necessary before I do it.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup, the map is big enough to read clearly if you're looking at the full thing by downloading it. And those NPCs look good, though a mite more flavor text might be in order. Or perhaps I just like flavor text...
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Yup, the map is big enough to read clearly if you're looking at the full thing by downloading it. And those NPCs look good, though a mite more flavor text might be in order. Or perhaps I just like flavor text...
    Great! Glad to know it's looking good.

I'm writing the flavor text into the .pdf as I go along, so I'm trying to limit myself to two lines of text. I could go on and on about the characters (and I'm glad you enjoy it!), but I'm trying to keep things light but potent. These are meant to give a mental picture to inspire your own stories, so I'm limiting myself to physical descriptions and clues about their skills. They should give GMs a clear picture, and they'll tip off clever players (which are encouraged).

Along the same lines, the crunchier text at the bottom hints at things like "Double Treasure." There's a section in the GMs guide about building treasure hoards--since gold can essentially buy you levels, it's a pretty important part of the world. "Treasure" is a standardized unit of measurement for the random generation tables that I have yet to determine.

.::EDIT::.
    I'm going to add this to the main post when I start editing it:

The Blackwood deviantArt Inspiration
    Please feel free to check out this gallery to see what I've been looking at while creating the Blackwood. The earliest ideas are on the highest-numbered pages. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-06-24 at 10:54 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I joined this forum cos i love this setting idea so much. My obsession with folklore knows no bounds, and I'm excited to play a version of this game.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jenfur View Post
    I joined this forum cos i love this setting idea so much. My obsession with folklore knows no bounds, and I'm excited to play a version of this game.
    Hi Jenfur! Thanks for taking interest.

I'm right in a middle of a few hellish weeks, so my schedule is pretty much planned out for me from sunrise to sunset. I've been thinking a lot about the setting, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to work on it. It will be another two weeks or so before I get a chance to start working again, but this setting will be complete... hopefully by this fall!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like the bandit stuff is too black and white at times. When they're presented as evil people, there's a lot of the Robin Hood like person in folklore, and I don't see why this wouldn't apply to these bandits. Of course, not all bandits are like that, but at least one Band of Merry Men couldn't hurt.
    Besides, they could be a great way of having places to stay at night to rest and heal without plopping in a random village.
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeki View Post
    I feel like the bandit stuff is too black and white at times. When they're presented as evil people, there's a lot of the Robin Hood like person in folklore, and I don't see why this wouldn't apply to these bandits. Of course, not all bandits are like that, but at least one Band of Merry Men couldn't hurt.
    Besides, they could be a great way of having places to stay at night to rest and heal without plopping in a random village.
    Thanks for commenting! The Player's Guide distinguishes between Bandits (the evil guys) and Outlaws (who could totally be good, but find themselves on the wrong side of a corrupt ruling class). It was an idea I came up with a little late in the process, though, so I think it could use a little more emphasis.

I love the idea that a random encounter with a group of outlaws could turn into food and shelter in the middle of the Blackwood, though! Do you have any other ideas how Merry Men could be incorporated to the setting?
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

27. - Top - End - #477

Well, if you're travelling wth a king or a noble, outlaw attacks could be a good way of foreshadowing or indicating that they're evil, leading to a plot to break them from prison.
    Also, bandit could be a class (maybe like a barbarian?)

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoo boy. It's been nothing but 60 hour work weeks for almost a month now, and I'm doing another 12 hours of commuting. I think things are going to lighten up in another week or so, but I haven't had any time to work on the setting. It's been a real bummer, but I'm hoping for a change soon.

Stay tuned!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel bad about the slow productivity lately, so here's a little bit about the Pagans.

Pagans
    Pagans live in the heart of the wilderness, and no other folk are so adept at passing through its tangled heart. All too many tales are told of pagans who act as willing servants to the schemes of the elves. Still other pagans work against their savage kin, foiling plots beyond the sight of civilization

Chief
    A fur-clad man steals through the trees, eyes alert. He carries two short spears, and moves with primal agility.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 1 | R 8 | M 3
    HP 10 | Def 10 | Mana 9
    Skills: Acrobatics, Awareness, Thievery, Thrown, (bonus)
    Talents: Dual Wield, Hunter, (bonus)
    Trappings: Dagger (1d6-2, 2gp), Leather Armor (+2/-1, 15gp), Lethal Poison (see WyRM ch. 6, 30gp), Rations (1 week, 14gp), Spear x2 (1d6, 20yds., 3gp), Trinkets (8gp), Treasure
    Spells: Charm Animal (2nd), Leaf Step (3rd), Whistle of the Lost (1st), Wolfbrother (2nd)

Chieftans of pagan tribes earned their position through great deeds and grave pacts. They guide their tribes in peace and conflict, and need cunning and agility to do it. Those that succumb to elven temptation become savage, and poison their tribes into ruin.

Matron
    An old woman stands over the fire, staring into the depths of her cauldron. One can almost see the elves dancing around her in the darkness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    W 4 | R 1 | M 7
    HP 13 | Def 6 | Mana 17
    Skills: Alchemy, Herbalism, Lore, Thaumaturgy, (bonus)
    Talents: Blood Mage, Familiar, (bonus)
    Trappings: Dagger (1d6-2, 2gp), Health Potion x2 (see WyRM ch. 5, 40gp), Lethal Poison x2 (see WyRM ch. 6, 30gp), Mana Potion x2 (see WyRM ch. 5, 60gp), Trinkets (10 gp), Treasure
    Spells: Charm Animal (2nd), Disguise (3rd), Foster Growth (1st), Inner Focus (2nd), Saint’s Call (3rd), (Tincture) Elfwand (4th), (Tincture) Sage Pine (1st), (Tincture) Sweetdeath (2nd), Whistle of the Lost (1st), (2 Bonus)

Matrons know all the secrets of the forest, and guide their tribes with wisdom and strength. They understand the elves better than anyone. Matrons with foul hearts become dark witches, and cow their tribes into mindless slaves.

What kinds of information do these bestiary entries give you? Not only about them separately, but do they tell you anything about how they work together? I want to make sure I'm getting the right message across with as few words as possible.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

30. - Top - End - #480

Looking at them together, I think cannibals. Pagans are a pretty nice mechanic, though Pagan is a word from the Inquisition. I feel like savage could work a bit better.