New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Blackwood - A Folkloric "Mini" Setting (WIP, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabeki View Post
    Looking at them together, I think cannibals. Pagans are a pretty nice mechanic, though Pagan is a word from the Inquisition. I feel like savage could work a bit better.
    Thanks for the feedback! I picture the pagans being able to fall on a spectrum anywhere between wild gypsies to cannibals depending on the tribe.

I've been using the term "pagan" mostly because it has a pretty good modern connotation with the image I'm trying to evoke. I don't want these people to be straight up celtic, but I'm definitely pushing for a Migration Period feel.

I had a little time to work on the setting tonight, and I finally managed to finish a short story about the Waymaiden! This took a different direction than I had planned, so... let's rate this "PG."

Allard and the Waymaiden's Eyes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alberick relaxed on the deck of the Blue Spray with his mates. They had left Grand Delving with a hull full of King’s Wheat two days earlier, and so far he had swabbed the decks and scrubbed the ship’s hull from morning to night. He looked at this as a proving grounds for his real work. Today he would begin his apprenticeship as a navigator. Today he would scale the mast.

He broke his fast on the deck with the rest of the crew, but his eyes could not be turned from the glimmer of the sunrise on the gentle waters of the Way. Misty pines shrouded both shores, and here and there great boulders, some as large as the ship, stood watch at the water’s edge.

“Ya’ll need to keep a sharp eye,” the navigator said to him, pulling his attention from the river. “There’s dangers worse than shallows and snags, boy. Ya’ll need to keep an eye for the Waymaidens, and warn us quick if they should appear.”

A hush fell over the crew. One shuddered. Alberick looked at them queerly. “Why do you fear?

“Fool boy,” replied the navigator. “Ya’ll learn yet. The boy before you, Allard was his name, was twice as eager, and twice as clever besides. He was in the mast before we rose for breakfast every morning, and did twice the chores he was assigned. Ya’d do well to best him, and to heed his folly.

“He was a poor woman’s son, whose father died a young man. When Allard grew old enough, he swore to provide for the two of them. He worked his way onto the ship, strapped to the teeth with wild tales about the Waymaidens and the treasures they keep. Thought he could find one and trick it into giving up its gold.

“Most of them come out at twilight, before the dawn breaks and after night falls. They call from the shallows, where many a ship has been lost to their tricks. Waymaidens are most dangerous when they weave their lyrical spells. It’s few that can hear those tones and not feel a stirring in his heart. Others, they tempt a man with sweet words and lusty forms only to drown him amidst the snaring grass at the shore. They sing fine promises to lonely sailors, but a Waymaiden’s word is never good.”

Alberick was blind to the breaking sun behind him, so engrossed was he in the story. “What happened to Allard?”

The navigator let out a calloused chuckle. “The storytellers say the treasure lies in a Waymaiden’s eyes. They’re the lure that draws the fish to the hook, boy, and don’t think nothing else. Allard heard them calling and saw them swimming at the water’s edge. Thought the dim light would keep himself hidden, but a Waymaiden can see in the dark. They say gazing so long at her treasure has put its light in her eyes.

“So Allard swims round to them thinking to come at them unawares, but then he sees a glimmer down below. It looked like the sunrise out of those waves, but deep below his feet. The Waymaiden’s hide their treasure in grottos neath the water, so he thought he spied a nice haul for the ship. No sooner does he look up but a Waymaiden’s staring him in the face.

“She sang to him about her treasure, and he forgot all thought of the ship, or even the river around him. Those riches filled the boy’s world clear up. He begged for them as much as he demanded, which sparked that golden glimmer in the Waymaiden’s eye. Quick as a dragon she wrapped him in her arms and sank into the river. He could barely grab a last breath, but no man among us ever saw him again. What do ya say to that, boy?”

Alberick chewed the last of his bread thoughtfully. “You said a Waymaiden’s word is never good,--“

“That’s right.”

“—and the Waymaidens sing about their treasure. So is a Waymaiden’s treasure a lie?”

“Ancestors!” roared the navigator, and the crew broke into raucous laughter. “Ya’re a young lad for that yet!”
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I picture the pagans being able to fall on a spectrum anywhere between wild gypsies to cannibals depending on the tribe.

I've been using the term "pagan" mostly because it has a pretty good modern connotation with the image I'm trying to evoke. I don't want these people to be straight up celtic, but I'm definitely pushing for a Migration Period feel.

I had a little time to work on the setting tonight, and I finally managed to finish a short story about the Waymaiden! This took a different direction than I had planned, so... let's rate this "PG."

Allard and the Waymaiden's Eyes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alberick relaxed on the deck of the Blue Spray with his mates. They had left Grand Delving with a hull full of King’s Wheat two days earlier, and so far he had swabbed the decks and scrubbed the ship’s hull from morning to night. He looked at this as a proving grounds for his real work. Today he would begin his apprenticeship as a navigator. Today he would scale the mast.

He broke his fast on the deck with the rest of the crew, but his eyes could not be turned from the glimmer of the sunrise on the gentle waters of the Way. Misty pines shrouded both shores, and here and there great boulders, some as large as the ship, stood watch at the water’s edge.

“Ya’ll need to keep a sharp eye,” the navigator said to him, pulling his attention from the river. “There’s dangers worse than shallows and snags, boy. Ya’ll need to keep an eye for the Waymaidens, and warn us quick if they should appear.”

A hush fell over the crew. One shuddered. Alberick looked at them queerly. “Why do you fear?

“Fool boy,” replied the navigator. “Ya’ll learn yet. The boy before you, Allard was his name, was twice as eager, and twice as clever besides. He was in the mast before we rose for breakfast every morning, and did twice the chores he was assigned. Ya’d do well to best him, and to heed his folly.

“He was a poor woman’s son, whose father died a young man. When Allard grew old enough, he swore to provide for the two of them. He worked his way onto the ship, strapped to the teeth with wild tales about the Waymaidens and the treasures they keep. Thought he could find one and trick it into giving up its gold.

“Most of them come out at twilight, before the dawn breaks and after night falls. They call from the shallows, where many a ship has been lost to their tricks. Waymaidens are most dangerous when they weave their lyrical spells. It’s few that can hear those tones and not feel a stirring in his heart. Others, they tempt a man with sweet words and lusty forms only to drown him amidst the snaring grass at the shore. They sing fine promises to lonely sailors, but a Waymaiden’s word is never good.”

Alberick was blind to the breaking sun behind him, so engrossed was he in the story. “What happened to Allard?”

The navigator let out a calloused chuckle. “The storytellers say the treasure lies in a Waymaiden’s eyes. They’re the lure that draws the fish to the hook, boy, and don’t think nothing else. Allard heard them calling and saw them swimming at the water’s edge. Thought the dim light would keep himself hidden, but a Waymaiden can see in the dark. They say gazing so long at her treasure has put its light in her eyes.

“So Allard swims round to them thinking to come at them unawares, but then he sees a glimmer down below. It looked like the sunrise out of those waves, but deep below his feet. The Waymaiden’s hide their treasure in grottos neath the water, so he thought he spied a nice haul for the ship. No sooner does he look up but a Waymaiden’s staring him in the face.

“She sang to him about her treasure, and he forgot all thought of the ship, or even the river around him. Those riches filled the boy’s world clear up. He begged for them as much as he demanded, which sparked that golden glimmer in the Waymaiden’s eye. Quick as a dragon she wrapped him in her arms and sank into the river. He could barely grab a last breath, but no man among us ever saw him again. What do ya say to that, boy?”

Alberick chewed the last of his bread thoughtfully. “You said a Waymaiden’s word is never good,--“

“That’s right.”

“—and the Waymaidens sing about their treasure. So is a Waymaiden’s treasure a lie?”

“Ancestors!” roared the navigator, and the crew broke into raucous laughter. “Ya’re a young lad for that yet!”
    Hehe. I get it!
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't
    The statement below is true
    The statement above is false

Thanks to Grinner Cuthalion for the avatar!

Want to play a birdie in 4e? Come check it out!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

To lie with somebody is a euphemism for sleeping with them.
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #485

Ah. Well. So they're like the mermaids from Pirates of the Carribean (Books, not the movie)

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah. Well. So they're like the mermaids from Pirates of the Carribean (Books, not the movie)
    Having not read the books, I do not know.
    LGBTA+itP

7. - Top - End - #487

They used a sort of glamour to attract men, and when they came down they ate them.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

They used a sort of glamour to attract men, and when they came down they ate them.
    That's how I picture the Waymaidens! However: will the Waymaidens actually have monetary treasure lying around? I think I'll leave that up to the GMs.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

9. - Top - End - #489

They probably have Magic items and spells, but I doubt they have gold and jewels, unless they managed to destroy a prate ship or something.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Life continues to be a roller coaster, but I'm thinking about the setting in almost all of my free time.

Optional Houserule: Magic and Age
    This houserule makes a person's age an important choice in their magical endeavors. Spellcasting takes a lifetime to master, but it becomes easier as the years march on. Children are incapable of using magic until they are 10 years old, when all spells take an additional 5 rounds to cast. This penalty decreases by 1 round every 10 years until it disappears at 60 years of age.

Note: "almost 10," "almost 20," etc. is acceptable for characters that have no precise age.

----

Because WyRM has no other penalties for aging, this doesn't hurt players with magical ambitions so much as it encourages them to create older characters. That said, it's the kind of houserule I would only want to use if the entire table agrees.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

I am iffy on rules like that, so yeah, only if everyone agrees. I will be the first to admit I lean somewhat gamist on game design, though. In other news, somebody linked me this, and I thought it might be worth you reading a few of the stories.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

After making that one house rule, I think I'm going to try and include a section in the GM's guide with suggestions for houserules to tailor various parts of the game. Any ideas?

Also: the campaign in that link is total genius! How cool would it be to run a campaign of villagers living out the life and times of their village? Speaking of...

Optional Houserule: Village Life
    This houserule is designed to focus on the relatively mundane life of a village, and features more direct competition between players than typical adventures. Instead of creating a normal character, players divide their 10 attribute points, 3 skills, and 1 talent between at least two characters. These characters are normal, everyday villagers, but need not be blood relatives. Each player will control a handful of villagers in a single village. Gameplay will focus on the social and economic challenges of village life, whether it be famine, prosperity, bandits, or internal strife.

.::EDIT::.
    After reading a few more of the stories, I think it would be really cool to run a campaign where there's a party of adventurers with some sort of commoner support character back in the village. The commoner would have plenty to do while the party's out, because he'd have to arrange all of their affairs or something.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-08-15 at 11:34 AM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

13. - Top - End - #493

Sounds more like an RTS than a RPG, un my opinion.
    it sounds fun, but it's a very large foray from D&D.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds more like an RTS than a RPG, un my opinion.
    The setting's not made for D&D, silly.
    LGBTA+itP

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    The setting's not made for D&D, silly.
    Funny story: I got restless yesterday and tried to create a Blackwood character in the PF ruleset. I've been using WyRM so much that I've totally lost patience for all the combing through the SRD that comes with larger systems!

As far as the houserules go, I think WyRM makes it easier to depart from "standard" tabletop RPG play because there's so little crunch in the system. We're left with a lot of freedom to explore things on our own, so it's not as difficult to add custom creations. Because the system is so simple, I feel like it's also easier to make sure these creations are balanced. Three cheers for elegant game design!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

I've finished the first draft of all bestiary flavor text! Next I'm going through and editing all of their loot and spells, which in turn is making me review and edit my treasure tables!

Treasure Generation

In the Blackwood Campaign Setting, character advancement is closely tied with wealth. Learning new spells or abilities requires training, and parties will need significant sums of money to rise to their highest potential. For this reason alone, it is important to provide a little structure to the process of stocking an encounter with treasure.

Spoiler
    Show
    For the purposes of this mechanic, "treasure" is any boon received as a reward for successful completion of an encounter. Treasure is typically broken down into two units of measurement: Loot and Hoard. 1 Loot is equivalent to a single roll through the treasure tables. 1 Hoard is equivalent to 5 rolls through the treasure tables, or 5 Loots. Loot is always found on the scene, but Hoards are almost always elsewhere. Whether through tracking, interrogation, or some other means, players will need to discover the location of the hoard to earn it. GMs are free to create small quests or courses to find a foe's hoard.

To generate treasure, all you have to do is roll as directed in the foe's bestiary entry, and follow your results through to their conclusion. For example, the party has outwitted a troll deep in the forest. According to the trolls's bestiary entry, it bestows 1 Setting Hoard upon players (equivalent to 5 rolls through the Wood setting table). First, the GM will roll 1d12 on the Wood table:
    • 1d12=8--Coins/Gems

Next, the GM will roll 1d12 on the Coins/Gems table:
    • 1d12=3--1d4=1 Gem

Finally, the GM will roll 1d12 on the Value table to determine the Gem's value:
    • 1d12=7--5d20=54gp

The GM is encouraged to get creative in describing the treasure, in this case a single gem worth almost two months' wages for honest labor.

This process is repeated 4 more times to complete the troll's hoard. Alternatively, GMs may hand select all or part of a foe's treasure.

Tables:
    {table=head] d12 | Wood | d12 | Coins/Gems | d12 | Value
    1 | Goods | 1 | 1d10gp | 1 | 2d20gp
    2 | Gear | 2 | 5d20gp | 2 | 2d20gp
    3 | Goods | 3 | 1d4 Gems | 3 | 2d20gp
    4 | Reputation (2d10gp) | 4 | 1d10 Gems | 4 | 2d20gp
    5 | Goods | 5 | 1d%gp | 5 | 2d20gp
    6 | Gear | 6 | 5d20gp | 6 | 1d6gp
    7 | Misc. | 7 | 1d6 Gems | 7 | 5d20gp
    8 | Coins/Gems | 8 | 1d10gp | 8 | 3d%gp
    9 | Misc. | 9 | 3d6 Gems | 9 | 3d%+300gp
    10 | Coins/Gems | 10 | 1d10gp | 10 | 2d%gp
    11 | Misc. | 11 | 3d%gp | 11 | 5d20gp
    12 | Roll Twice | 12 | Roll Twice | 12 | Roll Twice
    [/table]

Terms:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Treasure--Any reward for overcoming a challenge
    Loot--Unit of measurement equivalent to 1 roll through the Treasure Tables. Loot is carried by the foe.
    Hoard--Unit of measurement equivalent to 5 rolls through the Treasure Tables. Hoards are more distant than Loot, and must be located to be earned.
    Gem--A single gem. A gems' worth is calculated on the Value table.

What do I need to clarify (if anything) to make this a good mechanic? My plan is to write up something similar for how I generate encounters, but I want to get this squared away first.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If anything, I would make it clear whether value is assigned to every single Loot (i.e. that the GM would roll on the Value table for every Loot regardless of initial result) or whether the GM should hand-pick what a result of "Goods" would entail, because otherwise it's unclear.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    If anything, I would make it clear whether value is assigned to every single Loot (i.e. that the GM would roll on the Value table for every Loot regardless of initial result) or whether the GM should hand-pick what a result of "Goods" would entail, because otherwise it's unclear.
    Good thoughts, thanks! I'll definitely clarify that the Value table is there for either when an item has no obvious value (e.g. a gem is not present in the standard WyRM equipment lists), or when the GM wants to randomize an object's worth (maybe the sword the party found on the bandit corpse is a fine piece of craftsmanship, and is worth more than your standard sword?).

As for "Goods," that result actually points to a whole other table. The Treasure Tables are made up of about 10 different subtables; I only included 3 of those here for the purposes of my example. All 10 will be up when the setting is finished!
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-08-19 at 01:58 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

I was just reading about historical use of enchanted forests in literature, and someone mentioned a thorny bramble that opens to allow people inside but then closes behind them, forcing them into a painful trip back out. What a cool idea for a trap!

The trap mechanics I envision for the Blackwood are pretty simple, and are designed more for the GM or players to create their own traps than to have a list of pre-made traps readily available. I don't know that I'm actually going to stat any traps, but I'm definitely going to make a list of creative options for tricky traps. This is going to be one of them.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

I was just reading about historical use of enchanted forests in literature, and someone mentioned a thorny bramble that opens to allow people inside but then closes behind them, forcing them into a painful trip back out. What a cool idea for a trap!

The trap mechanics I envision for the Blackwood are pretty simple, and are designed more for the GM or players to create their own traps than to have a list of pre-made traps readily available. I don't know that I'm actually going to stat any traps, but I'm definitely going to make a list of creative options for tricky traps. This is going to be one of them.
    As I am playing more League of Legends and I keep playing a thorn/plant based character, the timing on that is humerous. That's one thing, along with some D&D ideas like the assassin vine, and a shambler.
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #501

I like the idea of plant traps. Makes a lot of sense, considering there aren't any real stone dungeons or ruined castles.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the idea of plant traps. Makes a lot of sense, considering there aren't any real stone dungeons or ruined castles.
    Let's not be too hasty here. You can certainly work in dungeons and castles.
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Let's not be too hasty here. You can certainly work in dungeons and castles.
    That brings up a good point! I don't consider what I'm about to talk about "canon" per se, but it's a look at the early work on the setting.

I started this setting with an interest to explore my roots, which were ancestrally German. When I moved to Chicago I gained an interest in the area I was raised, Missouri. Missouri has a lot of great forests, so I took a few pages from there (along with the Black Forest of Germany, of course) when it game to the geography of the Blackwood.

The Blackwood is a land of Karst topography. Caves and sinkholes can be found all over, and for all the vegetation there is no shortage of rocky bluffs and tumbled hills. Quarries can be found in each Blackwood Province, and those with access to good ore also have mines. Metals both precious and mundane are in good supply. Most structures are still made of wood, but stone chimneys are a regular sight, and large structures like towers or castles can be entirely of stone.

As far as the adventure path goes, there are two castles on the map. The first is the ruined Castle Highguard, home to the storied Highguard Curse, but fabled for fabulous treasures. The second is Castle Denvorn, the seat of the province, and the destination of the arriving Unified Archbishop. Castle Denvorn is just a few days from a town called Quarry, known for an especially deep delving. However, the greatest delving is at Grand Delving in the Elder Kingdom, because it is the home of the Classicists, and they delve into the words of the Elder King to learn how to govern the entire forest.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-08-22 at 05:03 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

The Bestiary is mostly done, and rehearsal has been nonstop for the past 10 evenings. I don't have much time for the setting at the moment, but I keep my eyes peeled. I just found this awesome poem by Pablo Neruda, and I thought it was crazy how closely it related to the Blackwood.

----
    Lost in the forest, I broke off a dark twig
    and lifted its whisper to my thirsty lips:
    maybe it was the voice of the rain crying,
    a cracked bell, or a torn heart.

Something from far off it seemed
    deep and secret to me, hidden by the earth,
    a shout muffled by huge autumns,
    by the moist half-open darkness of the leaves.

Wakening from the dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig
    sang under my tongue, its drifting fragrance
    climbed up through my conscious mind

as if suddenly the roots I had left behind
    cried out to me, the land I had lost with my childhood---
    and I stopped, wounded by the wandering scent.
    ----

"Lost in the forest"? Duh. "A cracked bell"? Sounds like the possibly corrupt Unified religion, where bells are a holy symbol. Lots of cool parallels!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had the past few evenings to myself (finally!), so I've been plugging away at the GM's guide. The Book of Tales is cooling down, and the only thing I need to do to the Player's Guide is change the font... and unfortunately fix the loads of formatting changes that will create.

Here are most of the 4th Circle Spells I've created for the setting. I want them to be wildly rare and powerful, but I'm looking for feedback about whether they're balanced, etc.

Empyrean Virtue Gain defensive might at the cost of offense and speed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mana: 8
    DL: 13
    “Now the gift of grace surpasses every capability of created nature,” said Celebrant Constanta, resplendent in the light of the courtyard. “Mareal alone may unify us with the Divine Virtue, as fire alone may light His World.” She waded into the fray, her brow limned in majesty and her eyes alight with power.

The caster of this spell is shrouded in holy protection and power. She may not make any physical attacks or cast other spells while this spell is active. Her hit point total is doubled and her speed is halved. While this spell is active, the damage from any attack may be negated with a Mage DL of 11, to represent the spell absorbing the blow. Once per turn, the caster may channel this holy power into a touch spell that heals 1d6 hit points. Each level of enhancement increases the duration of the spell by 1 round.

Nightmare Isolate one combatant in a separate, challenging battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those red eyes were the last thing he remembered before the Classicist found himself in this twilight realm. Thick tendrils of shadow whipped around like a cold and angry wind. He heard howls of ghastly creatures at the edge of sight, or did he? He couldn’t quite remember.

This spell sends any one target within sight into a nightmare realm. In this realm, the target is attacked once per round by 1d4+2 spectral terrors (4HP, 8 Def, +2 to hit, 1d6). Only one spectral terror attacks at a time, while the others loom nearby. These monsters attack the target’s mind (mechanically, they still attack HP and characters still die at 0 HP), and when the character reaches half health he loses one piece of knowledge as if he had never learned it. Player’s may suggest a piece of knowledge to lose, but the final decision rests with the GM.

The target must remain in this nightmare realm until all the spectral terrors are defeated. While the target’s mind is trapped inside, his body is helpless and unconscious in the real world. A DL 13 Mage check resists the effects of this spell. If the caster dies, the spell is broken. Each level of enhancement increases the DL by +1.

Quest Gain any reward after an appropriately difficult quest.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standing majestically atop a great boulder, the Stag shook his mane. “In the name of the Elder King,” his voice rang in the mind of the vigilante, “I command you to take up this noble cause.” Spellbound, the vigilante fell to his knees. The Stag spoke ancient authority, and could not be denied.

When cast by a PC, the caster must either be in the presence of a known Patron, or casting the spell will summon a random elf to help. Casting the spell is a ritual agreement for a reward in exchange for service and affects only one target, the Patron.

When cast by an NPC, the caster commands all targets within 15 feet to complete a task in exchange for a reward agreed upon or offered by the spell targets.

In either case, a DL 13 Warrior check resists this spell. If the caster dies, the spell is broken. Each additional mana point increases the DL by 1.

The Quest spell has three important elements: the Patron, the Wish, and the Quest itself.

The Patron is the entity that will grant a Wish. Only exceptionally powerful figures may act as Patrons, and all Patrons must be capable of magical aid. A Patron should have a strong motivation for helping the PCs (whether that motivation is altruistic and known or selfish and secretive), and the best PCs will know how to cater to these motivations. It should take significant effort for the PCs to locate a specific Patron instead of summoning a random one.

The Wish is an offer of service in exchange for a reward. NPCs that cast Quest typically need to negotiate a reward, but already know what service they need performed. Conversely, PCs that cast Quest almost always know what reward they desire, but will need to negotiate a service with the target.
    Example rewards:
    - I will do anything you want if you bring my mother back to life.
    - I will give this magnificent spear to anyone brave enough to slay the troll at my border!

The Quest is the last element of any Quest spell. These should be tailored to the Patron and Wish. The easiest way to create a quest of any duration is to refer to the Quest tables located in CHAPTER XX.

The final 4th Circle spell will be the Elfwand Tincture, which allows the caster (and a few willing others) to move great distances in the real world by travelling through a landscape pulled from the targets' dreams. I need more time to finalize those mechanics, but most of it will rely on the random tables for dungeon creation.

Thoughts about these three? I want them to be noticeably powerful, but not too much.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-09-05 at 01:38 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey all! I started a new job this week, and my desk is set up with a radical dual monitor. I spent a few minutes looking for dual monitor wallpapers, and found some great inspirational photos for the Blackwood. Check them out!

Nuuksio National Park, Finland

Breitenstein, Austria

Mountain Lake

Woodsy Lake

Shady Grotto

Deep Forest

Li River, China

Li River, China (this is how I picture the city of Three Rivers)
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

27. - Top - End - #507

Wow, those are really good pictures. Well, the first one comes out a little pixelated on my comp, but still, they fit the setting well.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy wow! All these weeks slipped by and I had no idea. It's been insanely busy in the world Zap Dynamic these days, and I haven't had much time to devote to the setting. I *think* I'll be able to work on it a little after this week, but most of the work is going to have to wait until after Halloween.

If anyone's still hanging around: hang on! I'll be back.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

It never fails: as soon as I post on here that I won't be able to think about the setting for a while, I start thinking about the setting. Note to self... posting inspires creativity. Post more often, Zap!

I watched a movie recently (can't remember what it was), but it inspired one of the five quests for Denvorn Province! Here's a teaser:
    ====
    Surely, ye've heard the tales of Altinn's not-so-humble beginnings? Sister Agathe was a wandering Classicist of the Order of Tales. They say she knew all the secrets of pagan magic. Made it her life's work to put an end to it, she did.

She always traveled with a fool merchant who was sure she would lead him to fame and glory. They came upon an old pagan monolith, and there found a sorcerer weaving foul magic. Sister Agathe and the sorcerer did mighty battle in a glade near the monolith, and in the end the sorcerer was slain. She knew the glade for a place of great magic, and convinced the merchant to settle there with her. They planted the town tree of Altinn, which stands today outside the Ancestor Shrine. The merchant raised the walls of the Old Inn itself, and soon a road sent pioneers east to discover Maiden Valley. These two--the tree and the Old Inn--are said to guard the town from harm, and for one to fall would spell the doom of the village and all who live there.

But the children of Altinn have been speaking to their parents of strange voices at the edge of the wood, and hunters have found signs of pagan activity. Is the peace of Altinn in danger? Only an intrepid group of heroes will have the strength and wisdom to find out!
    ====
    I'm pretty proud of this quest. It's a short little guy, but it's basically a geometry puzzle wrapped up in a spooky storyline with witches, devils, and harvest-time craziness!

.::EDIT::.
    I wanted to give a little more concrete an update, but I was trying to cram all this out at the very end of work. Now that I'm home...

Denvorn Province, the sandbox-y adventure that will be included with the Gamemaster's Guide to the Blackwood, will come with 5 quests created using the "5 Room Dungeon" format. Now that I've planted the seed for the quest mentioned above, I've got 3/5 quests finished. Aside from that, I've got to do 1-page write ups for 10-15 short guides, house rules, and optional mechanics before the Gamemaster's Guide is finished! I've also finished the Book of Tales, so things are really getting wrapped up. Bonus points: my buddy told me he can print my map on a 16x20 piece of canvas for free! Shazam!
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2013-10-17 at 06:50 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Warriors of the Blackwood

Row 1: A Sentinel (R) vs. a Wealthy Mercenary

Row 2: Poor Mercenary, Town Guard, Noble Rake

I can't believe how close this is to how I picture the Blackwood.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.