Page 1 of 83 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 2464
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Cormyr - The Tearing of the Weave

    Cormyr – The Tearing of the Weave



    XP Overview (Party)

    {table=head] Player | Character | Level | XP Total | Next Level

    Razorback
    ||
    7
    |
    25,354
    |
    28,000

    Achinca
    | |
    7
    |
    25,004
    |
    28,000

    LTPowers
    ||
    7
    |
    25,154
    |
    28,000

    Puffmagicdragon
    ||
    7
    |
    25,354
    |
    28,000

    Ourobosorosi
    ||
    3
    |
    Dead
    |
    6,000

    Ourobosorosi
    ||
    7
    |
    21,336
    |
    28,000

    Jeraoa
    ||
    6
    |
    Left
    |
    21,000
    [/table]

    Obsidian Portal


    " "

    Last edited by achinca; 2014-03-12 at 09:17 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Cormyr
    Founded over a thousand years ago, the kingdom of Cormyr benefits from an enlightened monarchy, hardworking citizens and an advantageous location. Cormyr is a civilized land surrounded by mountains, forests, and settlements of evil humanoids. Known for its well-trained military and its active group of government-sanctioned spell-casters, Cormyr boasts fine food, honest people, strange mysteries and abundant contact with other parts of the world.

    Life and Society
    Though there are strong reasons why it should not be, Cormyr is a steadfast and prosperous land. Despite an often-violent past, constant armed vigilance against beasts and border perils, and frequent intrigues, Cormyrians remain loyal, content, prosperous, and peace loving folks.
    The Obarskyr family rules Cormyr, assisted by wise Royal mages. Beneath the royal family is a wealthy sophisticated, often fractious group of noble families of long linage, influence and demonstrated loyalty to the crown. The War Wizards tempers both royal and noble excesses.
    Most Cormyrians are farmers, ranchers, horse-breeders, foresters or craftfolks. The country also maintains a large, capable arm, the Purple Dragons.

    Southeast Cormyr
    As with much of the Forest Kingdom, Southern Cormyr experiences short, hot summers and long winters with much precipitation in all seasons. The coast is foggy and cool, and the plains west of the Vast Swamp are covered in long stretches of green, rolling hills that hide quiet valleys of rushing streams and tangled trees.
    The people of southeastern Cormyr love their country as much any citizen of Suzail (the Capital), but their proximity to the Dragon Coast and Sembia makes them familiar with smuggling and bribery. Largely hard-working and honest , the folk of southeastern Cormyr will never the less turn a blind eye toward activities that might elsewhere in the country raise eyebrows –so long as no one seems to be getting hurt. By the same token, the people of southeastern Cormyr are always on the lookout for themselves and their neighbors. They know that there might not be a Purple Dragon or War Wizard for miles and as they say. "Having a friend in need of aid is better than having no friend at all".

    Wheloon
    The bustling city of Wheloon confidently straddles the two most important trade routes in eastern Cormyr. Merchant caravans traveling to Sembia pass through each day along the Way of the Manticore, and ships from ports all over the Sea of Fallen Stars sail up the Wyvernflow to unload their goods at Wheloon or pass on into the heart of Cormyr. The rumble of wagon wheels, grunting of laborers, and hollering of dock hands fills the air for much of the day and long into the night.

    Wheloon History
    Wheloon began as a small thorp that depended on river crossings but as trade along the Way of the Manticore grew and more ships began to pass up the Wyvernflow•, Wheloon became a true city of industry. Now folk all over Cormyr and beyond know the: City as a source of quality boats, ships, sails, pottery, and wagons.

    Leadership
    An aging Lord Sarp Redbeard governs Wheloon. Once famously headstrong and virtually independent of the crown, he has mellowed over the years and proved his loyalty to the crown with his steadfast support in trade deals and military efforts. Today Lord Redbeard concentrates on doing what is best for Wheloon, a goal that the nearly 7,000 city residents respect.
    A force of roughly 150 Purple Dragons enforces the law in Wheloon. These men and women follow the orders of Constal Maximanus Tholl.
    Three churches operate in Wheloon. The Harvest hall (a temple to Chauntea) has a history in Wheloon nearly as old as the Wyvern Ferry. The God’s Grove is a shrine to Silvanus 011 and has an even older history. The most recent church is the temple of Mystra set in the bluff north of town, Folk don't quite know what to make of it yet, since Wheloon doesn't seem like a focal point for interest in magic, but Lord Redbeard put his sign of approval on the deal to build the temple so people believe it must be in Wheloon’s best interest.

    It is the Fall season and the year is 1374 DR.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Although it was the beginning of the Fall, the temperature was above average on this mid-morning day in Wheloon. The sun was high in the sky and the market place was bursting with activities. Merchants were peddling their wares, farmers were selling their produces and livestock and Wheldoonians of all age, gender and wealth were strolling around looking for a bargain or the perfect spice for a special recipe.

    Every looked normal that morning in Wheloon, except for five strangers. It was obvious based on their look that they did not like they belonged in Wheloon. It was also clear that they did not even come from Cormyr.

    There was a human man with green eyes and black hair. He looked very strong but was not very pleasing to the eyes. He wore a studded leather of quality with a bucker at his arm. A spiked chain hanged at his waist and a javelin was on his back.

    The next stranger looked like he just came from the woods and had lived like an animal. He was a human man with brown eyes and black hair. It was obvious that he liked food as his ample belly attested. He was wearing a traveller outfit and was using a quarterstaff to support him. On his back laid a quality heavy crossbow.

    Across the place stood the Cleric of Lathander. She was beautiful in shining banded mail which reflected her dark eyes and her black hair. With her heavy shield and heavy mace, she made it clear that it would be a mistake mess with her. Yet, what would a cleric of Lathander do in Wheloon?

    In the middle of the place was the wild elf. His hair and eyes were black and it was obvious by looking at him that he had not live in urban civilized areas a lot in his live. He wore a studded leather of surprising quality and had is longbow on his back. Yet his beaten appearance and his scars really made him stood up in the crowd.

    Finally an elf, no a half-elf was strutting around. He was of exquisite beauty and was getting a lot of look from the women on the market place, regardless of their age or status. His eyes and hair were a striking silver and shined on the studs of his studded leather. With his rapier on his waist and his harp of his hand, he belonged in a royal court, not a provincial small city.

    On the west side of the market place stood a town job board. The majority of the parchment offered the usual jobs: Farm day laborer, tavern waitress, kitchen cooks, manual laborer and the occasional wet nurse. Yet a parchment stood out among them. The announcement was simple and said

    To Those of Strong Arm, Keen Mind, and Curiosity,
    Salutations!
    See the man in blue at the Wyvern Watch Inn
    before the 23rd if you wish to hear a peculiar riddle,
    and are willing to undertake a commission to discover
    its answer.
    ---T.D.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Marlae reached into her belt pouch and counted off the coins in her head. If Sembia was anything like Amn, she'd likely need more coin for the final leg of her long journey. The Temple and the Morninglord had been generous enough to provide for her pilgrimage but her resources were getting low. "Spread the works of Divine Lathander through not just your words but your deeds." had been the recommendation of the Morningmaster on the dawn of her departure. She sighed and looked over the job board.

    Her dark eyes scanned over the manual labourers job quickly for more lucrative fare. She shook her head when reading the posting for a tavern waitress; she had seen firsthand the treatment some would receive from male patrons when she first ventured forth and had been appalled. While Lathander was the god of youth and birth wet nurse was simply an impossibility. She read over the peculiar last posting of a riddle. "A test of wisdom perhaps?"

    She accosted one of the locals for directions: "Good man. Where might I find the Wyvern Watch Inn?"
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-15 at 09:02 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Savin walked across the Manticore Way into Wheloon, not knowing or caring for the name of the road. He was sweaty and tired that matched his foul mood.
    10 men sought to rob me? No honor these thieves have. he said to himself as he spat in disgust. The bandits were bold to try and waylay someone so close to the city but they figured with 1 against 10, he would be easy pickings. Knocking one of the men down before they could react, he moved with speed that bordered on the supernatural. While not one to run from a fight, he also knew that he had no chance of winning and he was not about to loose his belonging to that pack of hyenas. His ancestors would have been proud at the speed and distance he covered.
    Walking into town, he walked up to the gate and nodded to the guardsmen manning it.
    Man, where in your city do you recommend I go where I can bath and bed down for the night? Somewhere with good food, good drink and a bit of music? I am weary from travelling this road and could use a good respite
    Although he didn't know it, his tone and speech were a bit rougher than what the guards were used to. If he had noticed, he would not have cared and would have thought them soft, city men that they were.
    As the man directed him to the Wyvern Watch Inn and told him to "see the man in blue", that he would take care of him. As Savin left with the directions he had been given, he did not hear the guard snicker and crack wise about having sent the savage looking southerner on a wild goose chase to his fellow guards.
    Last edited by razorback; 2012-02-14 at 03:55 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    The half-Moon Elf finds the cryptic message on the job board irresistible. He quickly makes his way to the Wyvern Watch Inn. His initial intent will be to set up as an entertainer, but while he will harp for the patrons with his usual expertise, his eyes will be on the Man in Blue and the individuals who choose to visit him.

    At the very least, it will be interesting to observe the type of man this mysterious person is -- and the type of adventurers they who take him up on the offer are. But if all seem trustworthy, then perhaps they might have use for an adventuring Bard...


    Maesyn Silverhair

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baveboi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Holy Terra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    One part of sulfur, three parts of gum, one part of saltpeter and place the distillation reagent. Count up to one hundred and sixty two, heat the infusion at a low fire. Distillation agent removed prior to one sixth of an hour, mix the infusion with common ashes and powdered charcoal. After sealing the vial, shake it strongly to burn the oxygen inside. Danger of spontaneous detonations (do it underwater, if needed be). Alchemist's fire.

    "Mom," cried out the infant to her mother. "mom, what is that person doing?" Both their gazes, as well as most of the townsfolk around the town market, where laying heavily over 'that man'. A set of old ragged clothes were open in the floor right in front of where he stood. Over it were placed many items of dubious purposes; potions, small bags full of water, magic stones and other miscellanea. With the common rabble that walk around town he couldn't make a sell worth paying a smile for, but Zarien was not so quick to fall for despair. Given the unfavorable circumstances he reluctantly accepted making a tactical retreat. Amused by that thought, he creepily laughed out loud to no one in special, only to scare a few street urchins that were trying too hard to sneak on him.

    Packed, tired and hungry (but in good morale) he left for the nearest inn and whatever hospitality the entire town had to offer for some gold. It was just before leaving through the west wing of the town market that a notice picked the wizard's wandering eye. It was plain as daylight and called to him like the scent of lemon pie. He didn't want to get involved into other people's affair since it meant getting close to people, people he could cherish and lose. "Well, to hell with that. If I am going to run away forever I might as well dig a seven feet deep hole and spare the gravedigger the trouble." It was with that outlook in life that he received the board's ominous plea for help. This was the point where every sane person would just shake their head in disapproval of such a weird and out of tone invitation to what could pretty well be their death, but not to Zarien. His eyes were full of a light that only his people could have; a fearsome wrath that resides inside of every Rashemi be them witch, berserk or vremiyoni! The same force that has pushed him forward all this years were now guiding his footsteps to the Wyvern Watch Inn and his chance to prove the force of his curiosity.
    "Or perhaps its to redeem my curiosity and prove my worth..."

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Maesyn easily finds his way to the Wyvern Watch Inn as it seems that every woman in Wheloon is willing to help him. The inn is very large and busy, with a huge common room. When Maesyn enters the inn, a waitress approaches him but a young woman pushes her aside. “Hello, hello and who do we have here? I am Asanta owner of the Inn”
    Before she continues, another woman from behind the bar yells “You are not the owner. Dad is. You are just a caretaker like me.
    Asanta replies “Oh shut up Baerill.” Returning her attention to Maesyn she says “I can see your instrument. Are you just a singer or a mummer too? We do not pay for entertainment but offer a meal and a couple of pint of ale. However the entertainment is usually at night.[/b]”

    Marlae asked a woman the directions for the Wyvern Watch Inn. The lady looks at her and smiles. “It is on the other side of the center place and a stone throw away from the Wheloon Watch House. Watch what you drink because since Buldegas Mhaerkoon has left the Inn to his two daughters Asanta and Baerill, they have stopped watering down the wine and beer they serve. Their noisy spats and constant banter have become one of the best forms of entertainment in town.”.
    As Marlae enters the inn, she finds it quite busy as only a few tables are still open. The clientele is mainly human but there are tables with dwarves, gnomes ,halflings, elves and even a half-orc. There is not man in blue however. A waitress points her to a table and takes her order.

    Savin enters the inn, covered in dust and sweat from his time on the road. He did not know that sending someone “to see the man in blue” was a local saying meaning to go on a wild goose chase. He does not see a man in blue but notice a silver hair elf who is alone as well as a very pretty armored woman, herself alone. He takes the nearest table and before he can says anything a goblet of wine is put on the table. Asanta smiles as she says “You look thirsty, stranger”.

    Zarien enters the inn and before he can says anything, Asanta tells him “Sorry, we do not accept beggar in the inn. If you need food, we can give you left over at the end of the day and the Sendever's Stables can find you a place to sleep.”

    Before Zarien can say anything, a white-bearded man wearing a simple blue robe trimmed with white, accented by a cloak of deep blue enters the inn. He also wears a blue skullcap. He takes the table in the back, right next to the second exit door. Without saying anything a waitress brings him a bowl of rabbit, carrot and leaks stew and a goblet of wine. The man seems on alert, consistently looking left and right. He seems very nervous and anxious.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Marlae asked a woman the directions for the Wyvern Watch Inn. The lady looks at her and smiles. “It is on the other side of the center place and a stone throw away from the Wheloon Watch House. Watch what you drink because since Buldegas Mhaerkoon has left the Inn to his two daughters Asanta and Baerill, they have stopped watering down the wine and beer they serve. Their noisy spats and constant banter have become one of the best forms of entertainment in town.”.
    "Umm, thanks goodwoman." she replies awkwardly to the suggestion of entertainment. "May the Morninglord bless you and your kin with a bright and shining day." she stammered in thanks before following the woman's directions.


    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    As Marlae enters the inn, she finds it quite busy as only a few tables are still open. The clientele is mainly human but there are tables with dwarves, gnomes ,halflings, elves and even a half-orc. There is not man in blue however. A waitress points her to a table and takes her order.

    She enters the establishment, and pulled back the hood of her cloak in the colours of her faith. "I am awaiting the arrival of a gentleman garbed in blue." she replied to the waitress. "If it is no trouble, I shall wait. My Faith provides all the sustenance I require."


    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Before Zarien can say anything, a white-bearded man wearing a simple blue robe trimmed with white, accented by a cloak of deep blue enters the inn. He also wears a blue skullcap. He takes the table in the back, right next to the second exit door. Without saying anything a waitress brings him a bowl of rabbit, carrot and leaks stew and a goblet of wine. The man seems on alert, consistently looking left and right. He seems very nervous and anxious.
    Upon seeing the arrival of the man garbed in blue, she stood up from her chair and crossed the taproom to his table. She inclined her head slightly. "Greetings sir. By the Grace of Lathander, would you be the gentleman seeking assistance in solving a riddle? If so, I have come to inquire."
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-15 at 09:49 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    "A meal would be most welcome in recompense, thank you," the Bard replies to Asanta. "I will be sure to establish the proper atmosphere for the time of day... just some light background music."

    As he sets up on a stool and begins strumming Melalindor lightly, he can't help but notice the Lathanderite entering the tavern... followed shortly by the man in blue, who couldn't have made himself more conspicuous if he'd tried. Sure enough, the Lathanderite is the first to approach him, obviously intent on beginning this new venture as quickly as possible. That boded well for the quality of adventurers seeking out this opportunity, but for now, he remained seated and continued to observe.


    Maesyn Silverhair

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Thank you, ma'am.
    Savin replied as the lady dropped of the drink. Taking a sip, he tried not to grimace.
    Do you have anything with a bit more... bite?
    He asked tenatively. As he waits for a new drink arrive, he sees a rough looking man walk in and talk to the serving wench. Immediately behind said man he sees bearded man in blue. <Odd looking owner of an inn... he must be nervous about business> he thought to himself.
    Shrugging to himself, he left the wine sitting on the table and walked up to the man just in time to hear the beautiful woman mention something about Lathander and a riddle. <City people>

    Good man, I was told to come see you, that you would be able to assist me in what I was looking for.
    He told the man once the woman had stopped talking.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baveboi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Holy Terra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Magic is not something to be found at the tongue of the dragon or the fingertips of mages. It is everywhere around us. You can't escape magic just as you can't escape my webs. Spell-less spellcasting.



    The wizard was used to being treated like an undesired guest even before he left Rashemen. He meant to talk to the girl about decent lodgings and food and the gold he carried, but something else caught her attention and left without the slightest interest on his reply. "And here I thought transporting weapons would give me some credit. Bah." Even complaining Zarien understood that he is only alive now because many road bandits and street thugs thought him defenseless only to be caught in one of his spells. Indeed, his overly uncharismatic self is even a spell of it's own. Many times did he escape certain doom because people wouldn't look at him twice, be it from disinterest or discomfort. Of course he intended it to stay that way for now, but when a man is hungry he must eat, right?


    He sat down in front of the bar, as far away from the other patrons as possible since the smell of mage's sweat wasn't one of the best fragrance in the realms. To call the attention of the young lady handling the bar he placed two gold coins loudly on the table. "Girl, could you do your job and bring me food enough to feed a bear? I swear I could eat one whole with this thundering belly of mine. Don't worry, the money is not stolen.

    He turned on his chair to look at the blue-dressed man and the two strangers talking to him. One was a tough looking man much like the warriors from Zarien's homeland, but darker in skin color. The other looked like a beautiful women of the cloth; the chainmail cloth. "I thought only pansy men prayed for Lathander's blessings. The other guy looks more like a Mulan. I better be careful. If he is Thayan or Mulhorandi he might find out about me." The men in blue is his chance and the reason to have come all the way here, he was not ready to give it up yet, but to rush blindly into things is not the way of a self-respected wizard.

    "Let's watch for now and see what they want. Wait for a chance to get my slice of lemon pie."

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    StandardBC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    'Merica (A.K.A Texas)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    After running for days, only traveling by night, Aust felt like he could slow down. He'd been quietly running from dense forest to dense forest, trying to gain as much distance from his home as possible. Resting for a moment, he notices a wolf happily eating a dead dear, obviously a prize from a good hunt. Aust was reminded of how he hadn't eaten for nearly a day. It was difficult for him to find food while running. I need to find a place to rest, he thought. He began to search for a fruit tree of some sort when he heard a noise. A cart, coming down the road. He thought it was as good a sign of a town as any, and decided it'd be best to go with the wagon. He quickly climbed on in the open back and waits. He hops out at a simple town a few hours later. It seems like a well enough place to find food, and decides to ask a local for help. He spots a frail woman walk down the street and calmly calls her. You, old lady? Where could I find some food in this town?
    Avatar by Crimmy

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Aust enters Wheloon looking like a wild animal lost in the city. He asks rudely to the first frail woman he meets where to find food. The woman looks at him with an undignified look. “But where are you manners young man? This is no way to talk to a lady. People like you should stay in the woods or get drunk at the Wyvern Inn. ” She turns around and moves away from him, her head raised high.

    Maesyn accepts Asanta’s offer graciously. She smiles and brings him back a plate of olive with some cheese and smoked meat with a basket of flat bread and a large goblet of ale. The bard plays a light tune and notices the man in blue entering the inn. He observes as the cleric of Lathander approaches him and then a strong man, fighter type.

    Zarien ignores Asanta and goes to the bar and sit on a stool. The patrons around him move away as if the body odor was hard to support. He rudely asks for food but Baerill who is behind the bar asks to see his coins first. Once she sees them, she brings him a huge bowl of potato, bacon and leek soup, a loaf of bread and a small chicken. She says “It will be 3 silver. Also we offer bath for one silver a person.” While eating his soup, he observes the meeting of the man in blue with the cleric and the warrior.

    The waitress is taken back when Marlae mentions she does not need any food or drink. She asks “Are you there for the entertainment? It won’t start until night.” Marlae waits and approaches the man in blue. He looks nervously at her, moving closer to the exit door. “Why do you care about my riddle? Are you a real cleric of Lathander?” He looks at her as if he is expecting Marlae to attack him.

    Savin thanks Asanta but asks for a stronger drink. She looks at him with an angry expression on her face. “You do not like my wine? What do you want? Dwarf spirit?”. She takes away the half drank cup from the table. “It will still cost you 3 gold pieces.” Baerill intervenes. “Asanta, stop gouging client.” Looking at Savin “Sorry about that Sir. The drink is on the house.”
    Savin approaches the man in blue. When he sees the warrior coming, he half rises from his seat and out his hand on the door, as if ready to bolt. Savin asks his question and with a trembling voice answers “What is it that you are looking for?”.

    As neither Marlae nor Savin is showing any sign that they will hurt him, the man in blue asks “Do you mind if I make are your intentions are good?”

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    The waitress is taken back when Marlae mentions she does not need any food or drink. She asks “Are you there for the entertainment? It won’t start until night.”

    "Not originally... but Lathander does provide the spark of creativity and support of the arts so I do not see any harm in staying."


    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Marlae waits and approaches the man in blue. He looks nervously at her, moving closer to the exit door. “Why do you care about my riddle? Are you a real cleric of Lathander?” He looks at her as if he is expecting Marlae to attack him.
    She looked at the man quizzically. "Why wouldn't I be?"


    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Savin approaches the man in blue. When he sees the warrior coming, he half rises from his seat and out his hand on the door, as if ready to bolt. Savin asks his question and with a trembling voice answers “What is it that you are looking for?”.

    As neither Marlae nor Savin is showing any sign that they will hurt him, the man in blue asks “Do you mind if I make are your intentions are good?”
    Noticing how agitated the man is, she approaches him slowly. "Sir, might I suggest some tea to calm yourself? It would seem you are under a form of duress."
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-16 at 09:03 AM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Savin stands, confused, for a moment.

    I was looking for a place to bed down for the night and have a short respite from my travels. I was told by a guard to come here and see the man in blue. I assumed it was you and that you owned this inn, but I can see that I was wrong.

    Seeing the man was nervous, he continued
    Do you need help with something? Of course my intentions are good, old one. Slamming his hand against his chest he boasted My intentions are good and my honor is untarnished... this you can be sure of, elder.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baveboi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Holy Terra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    "At least they respect coin around here."

    "Take your silvers for the food, and then take the gold for the inconvenience I might be causing. The second gold is yours if you tell me everything you know about those three there and I better like your answer, girl." Zarien points at Marlae, Savin and the man who identified himself as T.D., or, the man in blue. It took him some time to finally focus on what they were saying and by that time he had lost quite the track of their discussion, now it looked like the blue one was having trouble dealing with the Mulan and the priestess. Even with all his concentration Zarien couldn't make sense of their words, what with the ruckus from the other patrons and the two girl innkeepers happily arguing. He turned his attention back to Baerill to resume their dealings. "So?"

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    The coins that Zarien deposits on the counter disappear faster than the speed of light. When the extra gold is pocketed, Baerill gets ready to talk. She first move closer to whisper in Zarien’s ear but the body odor is too much for the bar tender. She moves back before talking. “The woman is a priest of something, Lathander I believe. The man is some kind of a warrior. I have never seen either of them in the inn. They must be newcomer like you. The man in blue has been coming here for about a week. He comes at the same time and always leaves at sun down. He has asked the table by the fire exit door. He always has the same thing, the stew of the day and wine, for lunch and dinner. He just sits there and a few people approach him but the conversations are usually short. He never tried anything inappropriate with any of our waitress, which is a rare occasion for someone spending so much time in an inn.” She smiles and moves on to serve another customer.

    The man in blue looks at Marlae and relaxes a little. “Why would you be who you say you are? Because strange things are happening around here and things are not always the way you think they are. And thank you for you offer of tea but I am fine with my wine.”

    He looks at Savin and for the first time the tentative of a smile appears on his face. “You thought I own the place? A guard sent you there? Interesting. ” He stops for a second to think. “I guess he must have read my note on the market place board. Now, if you both are willing to help me, do you mind if I perform a little spell of detect evil on you?” He pulls a round wooden holy symbol of a circle of seven blue-white stars with red mist flowing from the center.

    Knowledge Religion (DC5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the holy symbol of Mystra

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    StandardBC's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    'Merica (A.K.A Texas)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Thank you. Says Aust. He begins to look for te building she talked about.I wonder what's going on? She seemed awfully angry for some reason. He thought as he walked along. After a few minutes he found his way I a tavern. It was obviously the one the old lady pointed out, but Aust was wary to simply walk in. He slowly entered, looking throughout the building. Everything seemed normal, except one table. A few odd-looking adventurers were there, talking to a man in blue. Aust worried they might be a problem and attempts to learn more about them. He sits at the nearest table with his back turned, and calls for a server.
    Avatar by Crimmy

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    A small scowl enters upon Savin's face and stay there.
    <Soft city people don't realize that is an insult> he thinks to himself.

    I'm a follower of the Lord of Battles. Do your magic, I have nothing to fear. With his face softening a bit so fine that you couldn't fit a hair in the space, he continued Help, if it is in my ability, if it for a honorable cause.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Maesyn continues to watch the activity while entertaining the patrons, though he's careful not to attract too much attention. He nods with satisfaction as he spies the man in blue's holy symbol; the signs were becoming increasingly encouraging.


    Maesyn Silverhair

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    The man in blue looks at Marlae and relaxes a little. “Why would you be who you say you are? Because strange things are happening around here and things are not always the way you think they are. And thank you for you offer of tea but I am fine with my wine.”

    He looks at Savin and for the first time the tentative of a smile appears on his face. “You thought I own the place? A guard sent you there? Interesting. ” He stops for a second to think. “I guess he must have read my note on the market place board. Now, if you both are willing to help me, do you mind if I perform a little spell of detect evil on you?” He pulls a round wooden holy symbol of a circle of seven blue-white stars with red mist flowing from the center.

    Knowledge Religion (DC5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the holy symbol of Mystra
    She narrows her eyes slightly. "Sir, I'm deeply offended that you would suspect me or this man of wrong doing or dubious moral character based on unfounded suspicions."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baveboi's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Holy Terra
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by Madmage View Post
    She narrows her eyes slightly. "Sir, I'm deeply offended that you would suspect me or this man of wrong doing or dubious moral character based on unfounded suspicions."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have 1 rank plus 5 points in knowledge religion. I recognize the symbol of my own faith right away!



    Recognizing the symbol Zarien hurriedly stands up, only stopping frown at his food like it had spoken some sort of blasphemous words only him could hear. Divided between his needs and desires he grabs a considerable amount of potato pieces and bacon with both hands and stuff them inside his mouth own mouth with the voracity of a hungry wolf. He runs quite noisily in the attempt to dramatically stand behind the priestess while he makes an entrance to the conversation, pieces of potato and bacon flying randomly. "But you could be anyone, my fair lady! Specially that big brute right besides you, and the trust you hold to each other is more the proof that you are together in some kind of scheme." Everyone inside the inn was in agreement that this would've been a much more impressive line if it hadn't the sound of half-chewed potatoes to it.

    "I say you use your spell in us all, my fellow caster, for even if these unbelievers words are false in nature I will still hold true to a fellow follower of magic!" "Yes, stranger, use your spell. Let's see if you are telling the truth about that detection magic you speak off. If this is a enchantment of any kind I will have your burnt carcass for dinner instead of soup!"


    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[20] + 13 spellcraft against a DC of 15 + level of his spell to identify the spell he is casting. If it is an enchantment of some sort or an evocation, necromancy, conjuration or transmutation spell... Someone shall suffer!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Recognizing the symbol Zarien hurriedly stands up, only stopping frown at his food like it had spoken some sort of blasphemous words only him could hear. Divided between his needs and desires he grabs a considerable amount of potato pieces and bacon with both hands and stuff them inside his mouth own mouth with the voracity of a hungry wolf. He runs quite noisily in the attempt to dramatically stand behind the priestess while he makes an entrance to the conversation, pieces of potato and bacon flying randomly. "But you could be anyone, my fair lady! Specially that big brute right besides you, and the trust you hold to each other is more the proof that you are together in some kind of scheme." Everyone inside the inn was in agreement that this would've been a much more impressive line if it hadn't the sound of half-chewed potatoes to it.

    "I say you use your spell in us all, my fellow caster, for even if these unbelievers words are false in nature I will still hold true to a fellow follower of magic!" "Yes, stranger, use your spell. Let's see if you are telling the truth about that detection magic you speak off. If this is a enchantment of any kind I will have your burnt carcass for dinner instead of soup!"


    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[16] + 13 spellcraft against a DC of 15 + level of his spell to identify the spell he is casting. If it is an enchantment of some sort or an evocation, necromancy, conjuration or transmutation spell... Someone shall suffer!
    Marlae's scowl does not diminish by the words of the vagrant. She raises her voice enough to be heard by those around them but in a non-threatening manner. "If simple concern for the respect and dignity of others implies 'scheming', then yes. Otherwise I have not met this man before. By the lack of propriety by your interruption and broad assumption and near accusation, using your logic you and this 'faithful believer' of the Lady of Mysteries may well be 'scheming' to divine the attitudes of the visitors and citizenry of this city. A fact I'm sure, that would likely be of interest to local authorities."

    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d20+3)[16]

    Using Perform (oratory) to sway the argument and for use of gaining the support of those in the general vicinity.



    She lowers her voice slightly as she returned to address the blue garbed man."You have made posting for work and I have come to inquire about it. Perhaps it is custom amongst the Mystrans to depend on the arcane, an ability beyond those of the common folk, to determine the identities, or pry into the secrets, motives or only the Gods know what else about their fellow man. Instead, rely upon your own judgement and character to guide you as all must. For instance, you have yet to ask our names."
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-17 at 07:58 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Aust enters the Wyvern Inn and notices the man in blue who has some adventurers-looking folks next to him. He sits and orders a meal. A waitress brings him the rabbit, potatoes and carrots stew with a pint of ale and collect 3 silvers. While eating his stew, he listens carefully to the conversation behind him.

    Maesyn continues to play his soft background music while focusing on the man in blue. His only interruptions were waitresses bringing him sample sizes of today’s offerings: fried pig skins, smoked almonds and blood oranges.

    Savin does his best to relax the man in blue. He brings back the concept of honor which is something he holds dear.

    Marlae is offended that the man in blue is questioning the purity of her motives or agenda.

    Before the man in blue can answer, the overweight, unkept looking and body odor challenge man at the bar gets up and answers Marlae’s question while eating his potatoes and fried bacon. He gives the ok for the man in blue to cast his spell.

    Before the man in blue can answer, Marlae angrily replies to Zarien who had questioned her intentions. She speaks loud and in such a powerful way that Zarien cannot come up with a quick and witty comeback.

    After that she scolds the man in blue for trying to use magic to get their motives.

    The man in blue looks at her “My child, evil can hide itself sometimes in the clothing of good. You would be surprised what I have seen in my long life”

    Before Marlae can reply, he holds his holy symbol high and calls in the power of Mystra to expose evildoers.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge of spellcraft: It is a “detect evil” spell. Marlae recognized it too.


    The man in blue smiles as he sees the results of the spell. “You might not all be good but as least none of you are evil. That is a release. No one is careful enough these days.

    He extends his hand and invites Marlae, Savin and Zarien to sit at his table. “My name is Tunaster Dranik. I am a cleric of Mystra. I wander, as many Mystran clergy do, seeking sources of old magic. I have been in tombs, dangerous ruins. I've even skirted the lair of a foul lich. But none of these holds a candle to the sight I saw a ten day past - a newly built temple of Mystra. Here. In Wheloon. Of all places!"

    He shakes his head as if he cannot believe what he just said.

    "Seems normal enough, eh? But there are no other temples of Mystra in Cormyr. This is BIG news!” He emphasizes the word BIG.

    “ I'm a long-time cleric of the church. I'm in yearly contact with the organization. How is it I didn't know I'd find a temple of Mystra here? Why' don't I, a cleric in good standing, know more of this 'Lady Arthas' who supposedly ordered the temple's construction, and sited it on the ruins of the old citadel?"

    He grabs his wooden spoons and takes big bites of his stew. “ This is excellent rabbit stew. You should definitively try it. Anyway, as I was astonished, I immediately entered the temple, looking for answers. I made it to the outer courtyard, but was rebuffed from entering the inner areas; I was told to wait for Lady Arthas. After an hour's wait, a man appeared, someone named Fembrys, and asked me to accompany him back to the middle courtyard. He wore the garb of a Mystran cleric, as I do, but something about him wasn't right. I can' t explain it to you, but something made me” he blushes in shame “ run." ”

    He looks down at his plate and takes another bite. “Anyway, I started to run and they chased me! Why would they do that? Someone on the temple walls fired arrows at me! But I escaped. What in the Nine Hells is going on in there? I need to find out, or failing that, go to the nearest legitimate temple of Mystra and ask for aid. But now you're here. Can you help me?"
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-02-17 at 10:09 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Maesyn politely declines the pigskins but gratefully accepts an orange and asks for a glass of wine if it's available.

    Maesyn rolls his eyes at the commotion caused by the unkempt glutton barging up to the conversation... not to mention the Lathanderite's principled but totally overblown reaction to the casting of a simple divination.

    Spellcraft check to identify spell (DC 16):
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[21]


    If he identifies the spell as "Detect Evil", Maesyn will bring his performance to a quick close, take his wine and fruit and make his way to the man in blue's table. If he fails the skill check, Maesyn will continue observing carefully.


    Maesyn

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    "Pardon me," the half-Elf says as he arrives, his voice carrying a distinct Elven accent, "but I was wondering if I might be of assistance. I understand the Mystran gentleman here has a riddle in need of solving? My name is Maesyn Silverhair, and I would be most eager to hear this tale."


    Maesyn Silverhair

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Savin sits at Tunaster's request, nodding to the waitress to bring him some of the stew. Taking a pull from his dwarven ale, he pauses to consider.

    Does not the city need some kind of... city people writs in order to build a temple? Something from the church?
    While a bit uncouth and not knowledgable about the goings on of city people, he was neither an idiot or a fool.
    Where does your nearest temple lie? And, where could one find out information about this Lady Arthas or Fembrys?

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    south side of reality ...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Maesyn joins the conversation and Tunaster invites him to sit down.

    Hearing Savin’s questions, he shakes his head. “Here is what I found out. A Mystran priestess named Lady of Mystery Naedaenya Arthas convinced Lord Sarp Redbeard that hosting a temple of Mystra was exactly the thing to bolster the city's economy and create a trade destination for magical items, components, and lore. Some rumors say that good deal of bribe money also exchanged hands but it was never proven. ”

    He smiles at the second question “This is what excited me at first and then got me worried. In all of Mystra, there are no temples to my Goddess. This is the first one I have seen and it was never mentioned by the Church. Mystra is not worshipped very much in Mystra and this is what I have been trying to change. That a temple would pop up in Mystra under a Mystran I have never heard of is a riddle to me. ”

    “I guess you could ask around town about the Temple, Lady Arthas and Fembrys. But do not waste your time with the Purple Dragons. I've already spoken to the authorities about the subject. Constal Tholl assures me that the Purple Dragons have investigated the temple and found nothing amiss. I asked him what they discovered, and it seemed they made only a cursory check of the place after hearing about strange lights and noises. I sensed his reluctance to look deeper into it has more to do with Lord Redbeard's pleasure at the business and taxes the temple brings than with a firm understanding of what is happening within."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Before the man in blue can answer, Marlae angrily replies to Zarien who had questioned her intentions. She speaks loud and in such a powerful way that Zarien cannot come up with a quick and witty comeback.

    After that she scolds the man in blue for trying to use magic to get their motives.

    The man in blue looks at her “My child, evil can hide itself sometimes in the clothing of good. You would be surprised what I have seen in my long life”

    Before Marlae can reply, he holds his holy symbol high and calls in the power of Mystra to expose evildoers.

    The man in blue smiles as he sees the results of the spell. “You might not all be good but as least none of you are evil. That is a release. No one is careful enough these days.
    While not registering to the Mystran's spell, she nevertheless glowers at him for casting it without her consent.

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    He extends his hand and invites Marlae, Savin and Zarien to sit at his table. “My name is Tunaster Dranik. I am a cleric of Mystra. I wander, as many Mystran clergy do, seeking sources of old magic. I have been in tombs, dangerous ruins. I've even skirted the lair of a foul lich. But none of these holds a candle to the sight I saw a ten day past - a newly built temple of Mystra. Here. In Wheloon. Of all places!"

    He shakes his head as if he cannot believe what he just said.

    "Seems normal enough, eh? But there are no other temples of Mystra in Cormyr. This is BIG news!” He emphasizes the word BIG.

    “ I'm a long-time cleric of the church. I'm in yearly contact with the organization. How is it I didn't know I'd find a temple of Mystra here? Why' don't I, a cleric in good standing, know more of this 'Lady Arthas' who supposedly ordered the temple's construction, and sited it on the ruins of the old citadel?"

    He grabs his wooden spoons and takes big bites of his stew. “ This is excellent rabbit stew. You should definitively try it. Anyway, as I was astonished, I immediately entered the temple, looking for answers. I made it to the outer courtyard, but was rebuffed from entering the inner areas; I was told to wait for Lady Arthas. After an hour's wait, a man appeared, someone named Fembrys, and asked me to accompany him back to the middle courtyard. He wore the garb of a Mystran cleric, as I do, but something about him wasn't right. I can' t explain it to you, but something made me” he blushes in shame “ run." ”
    At least he knows some shame, she thinks to herself.

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    He looks down at his plate and takes another bite. “Anyway, I started to run and they chased me! Why would they do that? Someone on the temple walls fired arrows at me! But I escaped. What in the Nine Hells is going on in there? I need to find out, or failing that, go to the nearest legitimate temple of Mystra and ask for aid. But now you're here. Can you help me?"
    "Oh? Did you invoke magic to determine their moral character?" She smirks.

    Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Maesyn joins the conversation and Tunaster invites him to sit down.

    Hearing Savin’s questions, he shakes his head. “Here is what I found out. A Mystran priestess named Lady of Mystery Naedaenya Arthas convinced Lord Sarp Redbeard that hosting a temple of Mystra was exactly the thing to bolster the city's economy and create a trade destination for magical items, components, and lore. Some rumors say that good deal of bribe money also exchanged hands but it was never proven. ”

    He smiles at the second question “This is what excited me at first and then got me worried. In all of Mystra, there are no temples to my Goddess. This is the first one I have seen and it was never mentioned by the Church. Mystra is not worshipped very much in Mystra and this is what I have been trying to change. That a temple would pop up in Mystra under a Mystran I have never heard of is a riddle to me. ”

    “I guess you could ask around town about the Temple, Lady Arthas and Fembrys. But do not waste your time with the Purple Dragons. I've already spoken to the authorities about the subject. Constal Tholl assures me that the Purple Dragons have investigated the temple and found nothing amiss. I asked him what they discovered, and it seemed they made only a cursory check of the place after hearing about strange lights and noises. I sensed his reluctance to look deeper into it has more to do with Lord Redbeard's pleasure at the business and taxes the temple brings than with a firm understanding of what is happening within."
    "So you desire to hire others to shed light upon the mystery of your Faith's temple here in the city?"
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-17 at 12:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •