New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    "We would welcome your assistance," Maesyn agrees, "but our employer has just left. We cannot promise he would pay a fifth adventurer the same amount."
    Spoiler
    Show
    To make sure that it is clear for everyone. The promisary note of 2,000GP is for the group, not per person although if you are successful in solving the riddle, you can try to convince Tunaster to add an extra 500GP to pay for the 5th share.

To the others, he muses, "I think clearly we can wait until morning to embark on any investigation; it will give us time to prepare ourselves, get a good night of rest, and perhaps do any preliminary research we may find necessary. Come the dawn, however, I think I would favor starting with a direct approach. Properly equipped and prepared, we should be able to discern much from a visual inspection of the property."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know if you want to see what rumors you can get from the town people first or go directly to the temple and what approach you will take for your visual inspection of the property.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    As Tunaster got up and left, Savin looked at the others.
    What course should we take? While I think that there is a chance there may have been some confusion, I also don't want to entertain the idea of being the pincushion to someone's arrows. My talents, alas, are not strong in getting into places unnoticed. And, my lady, that kind of skulking, I imagine, would not suit your temperament.
    Finishing his drink, he waited for the others to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by StandardBC View Post
    I believe I may be able to help. A scarred stranger states to the group. I'm fairly good at crawling around myself, and I am in need of some coin. He offers. I'd be glad to assist you for a share of the profit. My name is Aust, by the way.
    "We would welcome your assistance," Maesyn agrees, "but our employer has just left. We cannot promise he would pay a fifth adventurer the same amount."

To the others, he muses, "I think clearly we can wait until morning to embark on any investigation; it will give us time to prepare ourselves, get a good night of rest, and perhaps do any preliminary research we may find necessary. Come the dawn, however, I think I would favor starting with a direct approach. Properly equipped and prepared, we should be able to discern much from a visual inspection of the property."

Maesyn Silverhair

"While the dawn is the most fortuitous time to embark on any endeavour, the Mystrans typically hold their sermons when the evening hour strikes and the stars can be seen in the firmament."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn ponders the Dawnbringer's words. "A fair point. Do you think it would be advantageous to approach them at that time? Perhaps posing as supplicants? Or, alternatively, to investigate with stealth while they're otherwise occupied? Either way, we seem to have lost one of our compatriots to the comforts of bath and bed, so we may be waiting until tomorrow regardless."

To the Wood Elf, the bard comments, "You have the look of more than just a common thief, friend Aust. What skills other than 'skulking about' have you? If you fill a gap in our collective expertise, I would think your presence would likely be worth the cost of a five-way split."

Maesyn Silverhair

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to roll a knowledge religion on Mystra if you want to know more about it.

Also, I am sure you can convince Zarien to delay his getting to bed. Water in his bed will be cold soon.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maesyn ponders the Dawnbringer's words. "A fair point. Do you think it would be advantageous to approach them at that time? Perhaps posing as supplicants? Or, alternatively, to investigate with stealth while they're otherwise occupied? Either way, we seem to have lost one of our compatriots to the comforts of bath and bed, so we may be waiting until tomorrow regardless."

To the Wood Elf, the bard comments, "You have the look of more than just a common thief, friend Aust. What skills other than 'skulking about' have you? If you fill a gap in our collective expertise, I would think your presence would likely be worth the cost of a five-way split."

Maesyn Silverhair

The reluctance on the topic of skulking about puts her at obvious unease, she nevertheless replies. "I would suggest speaking to the Mystrans at the Temple. As it stands, it may simply be a misunderstanding and carries no risk at offending the goddess or her followers or the local authorities." she counsels.
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-27 at 03:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

If their service take place at night, I think I might stroll over and do a quick scout of how their offensive and defensive capabilities are before we walk into a potential trap unless anyone objects. I will do my best to be discreet.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

If I'm not mistaken, payment has already been issued. Aust motions towards the piece of paper with the arcane mark. I believe it was a sum of 2,000 Gold pieces meant to be divided into shares? All I ask is to be included in that split as part of the group.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks at his new companions that fate has thrown together.
    <I'd rather have someone else rooting around in the mud. 400 versus 500 isn't too big a deal, especially if he is worth it> he thought to himself.

Aust, could you give us a moment to discuss this?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of course. Aust tells Savin. I'll wait over there. He motions to another area in the tavern.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Zarien is taking is long overdue bath and might come back anytime or may be tomorrow.

Maesyn offers a platter of options, from pretending to be believers to a stealth approach.

Marlae proposes the direct approach to go talk to the clergy at the temple.

Savin suggests a quick tour to evaluate the defense of the temple.

The wild elf Aust indicates that he heard the conversation and ready for a split of the 2,000 gold pieces.

Savin wants to discuss the dilution of the shares of gold with the rest of the group and asks Aust to move away. The wild elf agrees.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"As stated, I'm fine with a split if we feel his skills are needed," Maesyn comments. "I also have an innate predilection toward the more honest, direct approach," he says with a nod to the Dawnbringer, "though my intuition tells me we're likely to face a reception similar to that encountered by Tunaster Dranik. And without the benefit of familiarity telling us something is wrong before it's too late."

Maesyn Silverhair
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2012-02-29 at 08:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks at Marlae and ask
    Lady, what are your thought on Aust?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Savin looks at Marlae and ask
    Lady, what are your thought on Aust?
    She looks over Aust after being posed the question. "I hope I do not offend but he certainly looks experienced. However, I do have reservations about an individual who has eavesdropped on our conversation. Albeit, we were not exactly subtle." She blushes slightly. "It does prove that he is if anything, observant."
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-02-29 at 11:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Savin gives a lop-sided grin and nods in agreement.
    True. It might be best to keep an eye on him for a bit. I'll take him with me to scout out the compound and try to get a feel for him.

With that, he waves Aust back.
    We are in agreement. Your skills would be greatly appreciated.
    As a matter of fact, I was going to eat and then leave shortly to scout out the perimeter, get a feel for the numbers and strengths of the guards, and see the comings and goings of what is happening. I think your skills may be useful to me at this point.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Although she has some reservations, Marlae agrees to add Aust to the party. Knowing that Zarien is taking a well-deserved bath and rest, the group decides to go visit the Temple of Mystra, after a quick lunch (cost 5 silver pieces).

It is around 1:00 PM and Marlae has told the group that it would be a different experience after dusk as the Mystran rituals starts as the stars are becoming visible.

The group will split in two. Savin and Aust will go and check the outside of the temple while Marlae and Maesyn would openly and diplomatically inquire about the temple.

A cobblestone path gradually ascends a low hill toward a steep-sided bluff, behind which runs the Wyvernflow. The path leads to the flat rampart of the whitewashed temple wall built right into the bluff. To the left of the doors stands a large, stylistically simple statue of a woman. A smaller, freestanding stone building stands to the south of the temple.

The temple is located on the site of a ruined citadel at the edge of Wheloon. The temple is built into the side of a hill at the- edge of Wheloon and along the Wyvernflow River. It was built on the foundations of an older citadel constructed before Wheloon was founded.
    A stone path leads up the hill to the main temple entrance, which consists of a set of heavy oaken doors. The outer walls are made off-5-feet-thick mortared stone without any opening other than the doors.

Savin and Aust looks around but do not see any other entry point. They decide to inspect the settings and conclude that if the doors are closed, the only access would be by climbing the outer wall although they can see guards with bow patrolling the wall. The other access would be to come up from behind the temp le on the upper ridge of the bluff, and then down into the open outer courtyard. However, that approach offers no hiding possibilities. Savin and Aust count two guards patrolling the wall walkway that surrounds the outer courtyard.

The doors are wide open and Marlae and Maesyn enter the outer courtyard. This wide, walled space is open to the sky. The floor is tiled with obsidian slabs, in which star-shaped white stone tiles are set, mimicking the night sky. Two large stone statues dominate the space, each apparently portraying the same woman. They stand apart from but facing each other, each with hands raised up toward the other, almost forming an arch over the center of the temple. Four small altars to Mystra sit in each corner of the courtyard temple.
    There seems to be 3 visitors inside the temple, looking at the architecture.

A smiling human man, in his 30’s approaches Marlae and Maesyn. “Mystra bless you friends. Are you seeking for healing services or clerical help? After all, Mystra's Weave touches us all, whether we know it or not”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"This new temple has caught our attention," Maesyn says truthfully. "It's really quite magnificent. I can only imagine how much time and effort went into its construction. What can you tell us about it?"

Maesyn Silverhair

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The priest smiles at Maesyn "It was nothing, thanks to the Mother of All Magic. This is one of the place where she dwells here in Faerun so we got a lot of help to build a temple to Her. Mystra is all around us."

He looks at Marlae with a benevolent smile "And it is an honor to have a priestress of Lathander visiting us. Now if you do not need our healing services, feel free to walk around the courtyard and pray to one on the altars. "

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    The priest smiles at Maesyn "It was nothing, thanks to the Mother of All Magic. This is one of the place where she dwells here in Faerun so we got a lot of help to build a temple to Her. Mystra is all around us."

He looks at Marlae with a benevolent smile "And it is an honor to have a priestress of Lathander visiting us. Now if you do not need our healing services, feel free to walk around the courtyard and pray to one on the altars. "

Uninterrested or incapable to exactly be subtle, she speaks earnestly. "I thank you but no. Our altar is the dawn. The reason behind our presence here is the words of a fellow priest of your Faith; one Tunaster. He had asked that we visit as there seemed to be some sort of misunderstanding involving guards firing arrows at him."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The priest was moving away when Marlae mentions Tunaster. He quickly turns around and looks at the two heroes with the same smile.

"Tunaster ..... No, the name doesn't ring any bells. You said he was cleric of our goddess? Well I can 't say that I recall any of our order visiting recently, but there was a gentleman like the one you describe who came here some days ago though. He insisted that he be allowed in our inner sanctum immediately. We didn't know what to think of this, but my colleague, Starweaver Fembrys, explained to this fellow that only those seeking to earn Mystra's Sacred Trust can enter the temple's inner sanctum. The man grew incensed and began ranting. When we tried to calm him, he got a wild look in his eyes and ran."
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-03-02 at 10:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

After scouting the outer perimeter, Savin has a plan.

Follow me, we go to the market square.

Having said that, they meander for a little bit until Savin finds what he is looking for. Going up to the merchant, he ask-
    How much for two fishing poles? And bait, if you have it.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

The priest was moving away when Marlae mentions Tunaster. He quickly turns around and looks at the two heroes with the same smile.

"Tunaster ..... No, the name doesn't ring any bells. You said he was cleric of our goddess? Well I can 't say that I recall any of our order visiting recently, but there was a gentleman like the one you describe who came here some days ago though. He insisted that he be allowed in our inner sanctum immediately. We didn't know what to think of this, but my colleague, Starweaver Fembrys, explained to this fellow that only those seeking to earn Mystra's Sacred Trust can enter the temple's inner sanctum. The man grew incensed and began ranting. When we tried to calm him, he got a wild look in his eyes and ran."

Somewhat validated on her suspicions on Tunaster's bizarre behaviour, she nevertheless pries further. "And may we speak to starweaver Fembrys so that we may settle what just be a simple misunderstanding. However, Tunaster spoke of arrows fired at his person. Do you know anything in regards to that?"
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-03-02 at 11:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin and Aust go back to the market square. They find a vendor who sells them two fishing poles with bait for the price of 2 silver pieces a person. The merchant asks "Where do you plan to fish around here? Do you want a helper? Do you need tips?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding expenses, I trust you to adjust your character wealth as you spend money.

When Marlae asks to see Fembrys, the cleric replies “Brother Fembrys is not usually in a talkative mode with newcomers. He wants to focus on the parishioners who are trying to earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust. He usually only appears in the evening to start the nightly services. ”

When Marlae asks about firing arrows, he shakes his head “ Yes, we did chase him. He seemed quite upset and we wanted to be certain he did not do himself or others harm, But he was very spry for such an old fellow, very spry."

He stops and looks deeply at the two heroes “Have you spoken to him?”
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-03-02 at 05:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Savin hands over 4 silver pieces, since it was his idea before he responds.

To be honest, I come from the fertile and lush plains to the south but I've seen some of this fishing before. They said it was very soothing. We are going to go down to the Wyvernflow River and see what we can catch. Any advice would be appreciated.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Waiting until they were again alone, Austin turns to Savin. So what are we going to actually use the poles for? He asks.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Fishing, of course Savin said with a grin once they are out of earshot of anyone
    Of course, the 'fish' we want is information, I'm guessing a couple of city folk looking to catch a meal and relax shouldn't cause any attention and it should give us a good excuse to sit and watch for hours.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The merchant looks at Savin and smiles "Well, this is not the best time for fishing but if you are lucky, there are some river bass, river pikes and even a few trouts. If you have beginner's luck, I know someone who can buy your catch for a good price."

As Aust and Savin leaves, the merchant giggles, shaking his head at the foreigners from the plains and woods thinking they can catch anything.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Marlae asks to see Fembrys, the cleric replies “Brother Fembrys is not usually in a talkative mode with newcomers. He wants to focus on the parishioners who are trying to earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust. He usually only appears in the evening to start the nightly services. ”
    "Not much of his time would be required. If he is sleeping, it can wait until nightfall." She insists.

When Marlae asks about firing arrows, he shakes his head “ Yes, we did chase him. He seemed quite upset and we wanted to be certain he did not do himself or others harm, But he was very spry for such an old fellow, very spry."

He stops and looks deeply at the two heroes “Have you spoken to him?”
    "I would understand your concern to avoid a stranger from doing harm unto others, but were there not temple guards that could chase without arrows? It seems excessive."
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-03-03 at 11:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin and Aust go fishing. Austin got a river bass and Savin got himself a trout but that was it. They noticed that they are always two guards walking the walkway and they get replace every four hours. The temple doors are open all day and the only people coming in and out seem to be onlookers and parishioners.

When Marlae mentions joining the evening service, he smiles and says” "Come to the nightly services, and rejoice in Mystra. But if you seek to learn more than the average parishioner, might you be interested in revealed knowledge, and Mystra's Sacred Trust? I know you have dedicated your life to Lathander but may be He has not always been there for you the way the Lady of All Magic is? "

He turns toward Maesyn “I really believe you could learn a lot, dear elf. ”

When the issue of firing arrows comes up, his smile disappears “Safety of the temple was my first concerns. ”

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Marlae mentions joining the evening service, he smiles and says” "Come to the nightly services, and rejoice in Mystra. But if you seek to learn more than the average parishioner, might you be interested in revealed knowledge, and Mystra's Sacred Trust? I know you have dedicated your life to Lathander but may be He has not always been there for you the way the Lady of All Magic is? "

He turns toward Maesyn “I really believe you could learn a lot, dear elf. ”
    Marlae clearly appears offended by the implication her faith is misplaced. Her jaw tightens but she maintains her composure long enough to hear the man's next words.

When the issue of firing arrows comes up, his smile disappears “Safety of the temple was my first concerns. ”[/QUOTE]

"Correct me if I am wrong, but previously you had stated that it was Starweaver Fembrys that had met with Tunaster and you were not present. But you have just stated that firing arrows at him was your first concern. So should we take that to mean you gave the order to do so?"
    Last edited by Madmage; 2012-03-03 at 03:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn starts to indicate that he would be happy to witness the evening service, but is caught short by Marlae's persistent questioning. That he can only observe with a bit of wonder. She was not one for subtlety. Or tact.

The bard studies the priest to make sure he is not being antagonized too deeply. If his mood turns hostile, Maesyn will intervene and try to smooth things over.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive check: (1d20+5)[18]
    Diplomacy check (if necessary): (1d20+14)[32]

Maesyn Silverhair