New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

The smile disappears from the cleric's face.

He shakes his head and with a derogatory voice says "Yes I told the archers to scare him. They shot but they missed him in purpose. The man is clearly mad, walking around dressed in blue and pretending to be a Mystran. "

Maesyn tries to sense the motive behind the cleric words but he feels like th cleric is telling the truth. However, he does get the vibe that the situation is currently quite volatile.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Realizing that they were going to get about as much info as they could from their viewpoint, Savin looked at Aust and said
    What do you think? We can have these for dinner or we can sell them to the merchant. Seems a waste to do otherwise. I think that we have gleaned as much as we could. Let's meet up with the others and see what they were able to get from their 'fishing.'

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn frowns. "As I'm sure is now clear, we've spoken with Tunaster Dranik and found him to appear quite sincere. If you have evidence that he is not who he says he is, we would appreciate as much information as you could provide. We would very much like to know if we've been misled by a confidence artist or a fraud."

Maesyn Silverhair

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aust looks towards Savin. My people are not very fond of fish. I believe it would be better to sell them (it?). He stows his fishing pole and begins to walk back towards town. It seems the next step we take could be to skulk around the temple at night. I'm sure there is at least one area the guard is weak. We could find a way to hide near the building and hear the people on the walls.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin and Aust decide they did enough fishing. Aust offers that they sell the fish after meeting with the group.

In the temple courtyard, the cleric turns toward Maesyn and retrieves his smile "If he was a true Mystran, why would he come here, talk to Brother Fembrys and then run away like a criminal? I think the man might be delusional or simply insane. I think you should let him be and forget about him. Can I interest you in gaining Mystra's Sacred Trust?"

At that moment Savin and Aust enter the temple.

In the meantime, Zavien is at the inn, continuing his rest and his bathing.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Just before the enter the temple grounds.

I agree. We need to be cautious because he could be mistaken and that shouldn't come to harm to an innocent guard.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

As Maesyn and Marlae do not really reply to him the cleric moves away toward the newcomers, Savin and Aust.

"Mystra bless you friends. Are you seeking for healing services or clerical help? After all, Mystra's Weave touches us all, whether we know it or not. Or may be you are bringing those beautiful fishes as an offering to the Lady of All Magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Looking a bit taken back, Savin started slowly.
    Well, it was my intention for us to cook this for our dinner but I am willing to share my part of the catch if you will let me join you for dinner. I was here to see if you cast divinations about the future and how much it would cost. I was planning on taking a trip to the far north and wanted to see what the signs foretold.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Additional info Savin and Aust caught while fishing
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the guards are not patrolling the walkway, they stay in the small freestanding building which stands south of the temple entrance. A total of 5 men make up the walkway walkers.

The priest smiles at Savin “You are welcome to join us for the evening ceremony and share your daily catch. May be I can interest you in walking down the path to earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust.

He pauses and looks embarrassed “Sadly, a divination spell is above my abilities. I can however cast an augury spell if you want for a cost of 60 gold pieces. If you are interested, give me a few minutes as I need to locate the proper scroll.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Savin makes a small face before responding.

I'm afraid that the cost is above what I can afford, sir. Unless you have something I can work it off the cost, I'm afraid I can only enjoy the meal with your and your congregation.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The cleric keeps smiling as Savin declines the offer. "I understand. It is however the standard rate for a spell of that intensity and a priest of my experience. "

He takes the fishes from Savin and Aust. " I will have our cook prepared the fish for tonight ceremony. I am really glad you will be joining. See you after the sun has disappeared and the Stars are all over the sky. May Mystra be with you".

He nods at them and move toward the building part of the temple.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn ponders the information they've gleaned, but seems at a loss for how to proceed further. This will need to be discussed with the group.

"Should we return for evening services, or do you think we have enough information for now?" he asks the unusually silent Dawnbringer.

Maesyn Silverhair

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you, we will be back later for services. We have a friend that might want to attend. We will ask him and be back shortly.

Giving an arched brow to Marlae and Maesyn that he hoped they saw and understood, he looked at Aust as he started to leave.
    Let us get Zarien so he doesn't miss the feast. loud enough for Marlae and Maesyn to hear but not so load as to be more than seen as a barbaric outlander.
    Last edited by razorback; 2012-03-08 at 11:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin tells the cleric that he will come back for the ceremony and leaves the Temple of Mystra with Aust. He is soon followed by Maesyn and Marlae. The silver elf wants to discuss the next step with the group.

They meet at the Wyvern Watch Inn and Zarien rejoins them, all well cleaned and fed. They agree to go see the evening ceremony this evening.

When they reenter the temple courtyard, everything is pretty much the same. Two guards are walking the walkways. There are less than a dozen of visitors attending the ceremony. It is a mix of pious visitors and some travelers looking for some kind of entertainment.

A few tables have been set up across the courtyard. On it, the heroes can find fresh grilled fish with exotic spices, olives, almonds, fresh bread and meatballs. The same cleric who addressed the heroes earlier in the day is leading the ceremony. He is pointing at the sky, looking at the stars, naming them and revering many of the stars and constellations. Next to him is a man wearing a robe. He does not wear any sign of being a Mystran. He stands in silence while the cleric talks and repeats the names of the stars and the prayers. He looks haggard and his dark gray robes have seen better days.

Religion Knowledge (DC18)

Spoiler
    Show
    This is a pretty standard ceremony for Mystra’s cleric.

Spot Check (DC 10)

Spoiler
    Show
    Something is odd about the sky. The stars seem brighter and the constellations seem to come alive when they are named.

Arcana Knowledge or Spell Craft(DC 15)

Spoiler
    Show
    The sky is actually a silent image spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Savin and Aust decide they did enough fishing. Aust offers that they sell the fish after meeting with the group.

In the temple courtyard, the cleric turns toward Maesyn and retrieves his smile "If he was a true Mystran, why would he come here, talk to Brother Fembrys and then run away like a criminal? I think the man might be delusional or simply insane. I think you should let him be and forget about him. Can I interest you in gaining Mystra's Sacred Trust?"

At that moment Savin and Aust enter the temple.

In the meantime, Zavien is at the inn, continuing his rest and his bathing.
    "I will decline the offer." She replies explicitly to the offer of Mystra's Sacred Trust. "Your testimony of the events have left me much to consider. Good day." She inclines her head in cool courtesy before leaving.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

After hearing what the others had to say in silence, the wizard remained so. His mind was furiously searching for reassuring signs that would justify Tunaster's fears. He couldn't think of none for the moment so he agreed to attend the night sky ritual.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Religion roll. (1d20+6)[10]
    Spot roll. (1d20-1)[2]
    Spellcraft roll. (1d20+13)[25]

With rolls like this my adventuring career will be short. Since Savin succeeded at his spot I will take in consideration he made a motion for us to look up so I will ignore my botched spot and go right to spellcraft, which is what I am good for.

"Bah! They use illusions. If it's to entertain the audience or to mask their inability to summons Mystra's boon I can't tell yet." Zarien quietly tells his friends, whispering close to them about the spell and what it does. "Something smells fishy here, and it's not only the main dishes."
    Last edited by Baveboi; 2012-03-08 at 08:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae is still fuming that the cleric of Mystra has tried to convince her to switch allegiance. It is quite an affront.

During the ceremony, Savin notices that something is wrong with the sky and Zarien realizes that it is an illusion. It is magic at work. He is not sure why they would do that.

Around 11 PM, the ceremony ends and the man in the used dark grey robes murmurs a few words and the silent image illusion disappears.

The priest announces. "Feel free to make your last prayers and donations to the altars of Mystra. And for those interested in going on the path to earn Mystra's Sacred Trust, just come see me. Remember that the temple will close at midnight and will reopen at sunrise."

The priest and the man in robe walks nonchalantly in the courtyard.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Skill checks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: N/A. Can I substitute a Bardic Knowledge check, or is this particular case not applicable?

Spot: (1d20+1)[9]

Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+9)[12]

Maesyn Silverhair

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Skill checks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Religion: N/A. Can I substitute a Bardic Knowledge check, or is this particular case not applicable?

Spot: [roll0]

Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]

Maesyn Silverhair
    You can try a bardic knowledge on the ceremony part and / or Mystra Sacred Trust
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

After leaving the Mystran temple, Marlae seeks out Tunaster to try to sort out the misunderstanding and encourage him to visit the temple himself with the others.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The two women innkeepers at the Wyvern Watch Inn confirms that Tunaster has left the town. He seemed very happy and kept mentioning he was confident he had found capable people to solve his riddle. He also mentioned that he was happy to go back to the main Temple of Mystra and will expect to be back in 10 or 14 days unless he can have someone help him with a teleport spell.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Savin walks up to the man in gray robes

Elder, what does this 'path' entail? I am a follower of Tempus, but I am curious what you speak of.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Bardic Knowledge checks:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ceremony: (1d20+9)[19]
    Mystra's Sacred Trust: (1d20+9)[17]

Maesyn Silverhair

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    The two women innkeepers at the Wyvern Watch Inn confirms that Tunaster has left the town. He seemed very happy and kept mentioning he was confident he had found capable people to solve his riddle. He also mentioned that he was happy to go back to the main Temple of Mystra and will expect to be back in 10 or 14 days unless he can have someone help him with a teleport spell.

With Tunaster gone, and Zadrien's apology not forthcoming, she chose to honour her statement that she would remain in the city by the end of the tenday before moving on with her pilgrimage.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae, feeling comfortable with the Mystran explanation and still upset at Zarien’s comments earlier in the day decides to wait for Tunaster in Cormyr. Thus she does not go to the evening ceremony at the temple.

Maesyn, pretending not to know the group of Savin, Zarien and Aust tries to figure out about the ceremony and Mystra’s Sacred Trust. The ceremony itself is what you would expect from a Mystran ceremony. It involved the various components of such a ceremony saved for the silent image spell which was out of place.

Regarding Mystra’s Sacred Trust, Maesyn draws a blank. He has never heard. He is not a religion expert but it is not something that has made into the public knowledge or public lore.

Savin approaches the gray robes man and asks him about the path. The man smiles at him “I am not worthy of the path. After a wicked life, I am glad I was able to find some kind of redemption. I might not atone for all I did but I am thankful that I got the chance to make partial amend to my deeds.

The man does smells like spirits and wine as he speaks. He continues. “Shan Thar, my savior who connected me to Mystra can answer your question about the Sacred Trust. I know nothing about it.

Shan Thar, the cleric looks ecstatic when Savin inquires about the path to earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust. “ "If you are: truly interested in becoming part of the temple, an d perhaps earning Mystra's Sacred Trust, we call arrange for you to attend special three -day services that occur in the middle temple. We require a donation of 25 gold pieces for each of you interested in trying the service. Yes, expensive, but not too much for those , truly interested in expanding their knowledge of the goddess of the Weave, no? "
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn keeps a close eye on all of the parties, working to overhear comments and make sure no one does anything rash. He also engages a few of the other congregants in conversation to see what they know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information check (take 10): 20

If he can find a secluded place to cast a spell, he casts Message, pointing at each of the other members of his group so that he can communicate with them sotto voce.

Maesyn Silverhair

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn talks to the visitors and finds out that they are commoners from Whellon who worship Mystra and visitors.

Of the pious visitors, none have taken the path to earn Mystra's Sacred Trust and no one knows what it means and they have never heard of it before. Of course, there was no temple before.

A couple of rumors that Maesyn picks up "People confirm that the Purple Dragons have inquired some claims of strange noises and lights and decided it was Mystra's magic at work. and Wheloon's jail prisoners have been sent to the temple and never seen again.

The tourists came for the show and enjoyed the entertainment and are leaving as soon as the show is over.

The altars are secluded and any one praying or looking like praying will be left alone.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Sir, is there any way that I could work off the fee in service to the church? I could be an able guard.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zarien finished explaining to a poor innocent bystander the real way to prepare fish, being very thoroughly about the visual details. The poor guy had just ran away when the wizard decides to peep in Savin's conversation, since he had nothing better to do.
    "I fear that won't be necessary my muscular friend. I have funds that I could use to pay for all of our fees, if needed be." He refers only to the three of them, Aust, Savin and Zarien, leaving both Maesyn and Marlae out of it. They need outside people in case things should go wrong.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Shan Thar looks at Savin and shakes his head. “The outer courtyard guards are only sellswords. These men habe their last chance to redemption after a life of sins by becoming guard of this Holy Temple. The inner temple guards are more pious and some do try at a later time to earn Mystra’s sacred path. Would you be …..

Shan Thar is interrupted by Zarien who has bored to death a visitor by his discourse on cooking fish. As the wizard offers to pay for all 3 of them, a smile returns to the cleric’s face.

It does not matter who pays for the initiate. If your friend here is willing to cover the initiation costs, it is fine with me. If you are ready now, I can arrange for you to attend a special-three day service that occurs in the middle temple. It will be your first step on your path to earn Mystra’s Sacred Path.
    Spoiler
    Show