New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

Saven tries his best to hide is irritation at Zarien.
    <That was my opening to get an inside line on what may be happening here>.

Thank you, Zarien. Hopefully, we both can learn something about the path.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zarien, as clueless as ever, only smiles back at Savin like he did him a great service and dismiss him with a wave. "Think nothing of it, my friend! After all, those such as me are here to guide the less schooled like such as yourself." He then turns to Shan Thar before Savin starts to fume and boil in silent anger.

"Priest, you might not know it but I also am a Mystran at heart. My faith guided me through years of scholastic learning of the Art and I would more than appreciate the participation in such ritual, to renew my bonds with the Lady of Mysteries if nothing else." He now stands a hand in a warming display of friendship towards Shan Thar, but his smile (probably more akin to spoiled milk) betrays the slightest hint of true camaraderie.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin loses at his own game as Zarien does not get the joust of it and agrees to pay for all 3 heroes.

Shan Thar takes Zarien hands and shakes it, a huge grim appearing on his face when Zarien mentions that he is a Mystran. “Always great to be able to lead pious followers on the path to earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust. Now let me collect the 75 gold pieces for all 3 of you and I will send you on your way. .

FOR ZARIEN
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although Zarien is not a direct worshiper of Mystra and is not a cleric, he has never heard of Mystra's Sacred Trust.

The cleric of Mystra collects the fee from Zarien and leads Savin, Zarien and a silent Aust.

Shan Thar leads the 3 adventurers through the doors as Maesyn watches them disappears. Shan Thar bars the doors behind him.

THIS IS FOR SAVIN, ZARIEN AND AUST

Spoiler
    Show
    The 3 adventurers enter a large room which is closed off from the sky, but tiny points of light glitter on the otherwise oil-black ceiling. The floor is tiled with obsidian slabs, and three rows of squares pillars march across the ,chamber from North to South. Torches are ensconced on the east and west surfaces of each column. A plain stone altar stands alone near the chamber's center.

A human man wearing full plate armor, a mace and chakrams at his belt and a cloak on his shoulders stands near the altar. There are two guards on each side of the doors.

The man addresses the 3 heroes: “ Do you deserve Mystra's Sacred Trust? Some of you do not, and you'll be asked to leave during the three days you'll spend in the petitioner's quarters. I won't lie-the next three Day s will be hard. You may get bored, you may get hungry, but if you persevere, you might just earn the Starry Gnosis, the secret knowledge. If you can't commit to three days, leave now. Father Shan Thar will return your donation."

"If you're staying. put your belongings in the petitioners quarters, and change into the vestments you’ll find there. Stay there until you're called, contemplating obedience to the goddess.
    "
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-03-13 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Map for Marlae and Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]

Map for Savin, Zarien and Aust

Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

"Of... course." Zarien hardly masks his distrust at this fabled ritual. He always thought that Mystra's was an open church, but strange lands and strange people. Right?
    He makes eye contact with Savin and Aust. His eyes tells of hesitation and caution. Pertaining to what is hard to say, many things look rather untrustworthy here, but Zarien doesn't appear to be in a mood to back off of this pickle, specially now that Shan Thar took possession of his money faster than a pet monkey working as a tax collector.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks at Zarien and Aust before moving off to the quarters. He shouldn't have been surprised that they asked him to remove everything but he was a bit after having the door barred behind him.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

For Savin, Zarien and Aust

Spoiler
    Show
    The guards accompany the 3 heroes to the Petitioner’s quarters, through the door on the Southwest wall. Each of this room's four cell-like alcoves contains a small cot, a neatly folded black robe and a wooden chest.

The guard instructs them to put all their possession in the chest and wait here. He closes but does not lock the door behind him.

OOC: Map to come tonight

For Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Shan Thar reappears in the outside courtyard and tells the visitors that the temple is now closed and will reopen at sun rise. He locks the entrance doors when everyone has left the courtyard. Maesyn is standing outside the courtyard.

For Marlae

Spoiler
    Show
    Marlae in the Wheloon.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn tests to see if there is a clear path between him and the trio who accepted the Mystrans' offer. "This is Maesyn," he whispers, activating his spell, "can any of you hear me?"

Maesyn Silverhair
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2012-03-14 at 11:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn tests "the connection" and realizes that the wooden door offers the least amount of "static".

Inside the middle temple, Aust, Savin and Zarien ear "This is Maesyn, can any of you hear me?"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

As Savin is putting his belongings in the provided chest, he hears Maesyn in his ear.

Yes... can you hear me?
    He whispers back, amazed by his magic.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aust is busy looking at the robes provided when Maesyn's voice enters his head. He hears Savin respond to it, and realizes it's everyone in the room hearing it. He waits for a response to Savin's question while putting his possessions in the chest.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes," Maesyn whispers. "A simple message spell, but it will allow us to communicate for about half an hour. What is your status?"

Maesyn Silverhair

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

<Simple?> Savin thinks to himself, knowing his knowledge of magic is limited.

We have been given rooms and robes, which we have been asked to change into. The guards brought us to our rooms and asked us to wait, apparently while we changed. He paused for a moment, considering. If you hear me say to Zarien or Aust 'The plains of Shaar call to me', then you know something has gone wrong. he whispers.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin establishes connection with Maesyn and updates him on his and his two companions status.

The three heroes put their possession in the chest and put on the robes, wearing only that and their small clothes.

And they wait. And wait. And wait. After 25 minutes, the group realizes that they are about to lose their connection to Maesyn.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Maesyn, how often can you cast this magic? he whispers.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

"A few times," the Bard replies, "But I cannot recast it without being able to see each of you. It doesn't seem like you're in any immediate danger, but I can return with Marlae and attempt to get you out if you feel it's necessary. Otherwise, we may just have to wait until we hear from you."

Maesyn Silverhair

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Map

Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Time passes by the communication between the 3 inside and Maesyn is interrupted. Maesyn decides to go back to Wheloon and meet with Marlae at the Wyvern Watch Inn. The 3 inside decide to rest.

Marlae and Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Eight hours late, Maesyn and Marlae meet in the common room of the Inn. Asanta is serving breakfast. A choice of blood sausage or cured ham accompanied with fresh bread and sharp cheese.

Aust, Savin and Zarien

Spoiler
    Show
    After eight hours of rest a guard enters the Petitioner’s quarters. He instructs all three heroes to only wear their small clothes and the ceremonial black robes for the daily cleansing ritual.

They cross the middle temple. The only other person present is the other guard. The go through the middle door of the east wall. The door is unlocked. The room looks like a vestry as on the east and west walls of this room are iron pegs on which are hung, dozens of identical ceremonial black robes. The guard point to a privy in front of them if they need to answer nature call and lead them to the room on their left. A spray of water emerges from a metallic disc, pierced with many holes, embedded in the ceiling. The water• is caught in a shallow basin in the floor and drains down a small hole in the basin's center.

The guard says “Once you have cleanse yourself, leave the dirty robe on the floor and put on a clean one. Return to your quarters and wait until one of us come to get you to participate in the ceremonies. A small libation will be served this evening before the prayers. and leaves.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Time passes by the communication between the 3 inside and Maesyn is interrupted. Maesyn decides to go back to Wheloon and meet with Marlae at the Wyvern Watch Inn. The 3 inside decide to rest.

Marlae and Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Eight hours late, Maesyn and Marlae meet in the common room of the Inn. Asanta is serving breakfast. A choice of blood sausage or cured ham accompanied with fresh bread and sharp cheese.

Marlae doesn't partake of the fare at the inn. She will spend her days offering her services as a cleric to heal minor wounds or the like to help pay her expenses of stabling/room.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as the guard leaves, Savin looks at his two companions, putting a finger to his lips, hoping they would catch his meaning.

Disrobing, he began to bathe.
    That was a restful sleep. In my land, we sleep on the ground with thin coverings. While I would not want to go soft by sleeping on these beds, it would seem every once in a while, the can be... invigorating.

Finishing up quickly, he put on the new robe and hurried out the door, trying to keep from getting locked into a conversation with his new found comrades in arms.

21. - Top - End - #141

Being the sly individual that Zarien is he has a plan and put the other two up to it. When they are alone and supposed to dress for the ceremony he grabs his knife. "Ok. I don't trust them nearly enough to go around starking naked. If you guys share my concerns, try to keep up with me."

Taking all his clothing off the wizard, not an interesting or rather appealing sight, starts to enroll many small vials of alchemical substances and magical scrolls down his underwear. The horror that it would be to gaze at Zarien's naked self is already all proof everyone needs that they won't search him as vigorously. Over his waist he straps his belt and harness, allowing for an easy support for both his Spell-Components pouch and a scabbard to hold his sharp steel dagger. "Now you must be thinking: I can't grab anything under the robes, right? Well, I just got to make some pockets on it." With the same dagger he pretends to hide over his underclothes he cuts small hand-sized holes in both flanks of his robes to have both easy access to his... stashed alchemical concoctions and his hidden dagger! If the others wish, he will lend them items and cut his robes for them, but they should do it quickly and very sneak-like.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zarien don't trust the temple's policy of no weapons. So I will carry my stuff around, thank you very much. Stashed in his underwear I have 1 tanglefoot bag, 1 thunderstone, 2 flasks of acid and 2 flasks of alchemical fire, one scroll of Knock and one scroll of Locate Object. God help him if he sits over one of them! HA HA HA!
    For the hidden dagger, its a Hide test opposed by anyone's Spot and Search test. I take 10, since daggers give a +2 for being concealable items, I get a DC of 13 for anyone to find it inside his non-existent pants.
    The others can try and do the same for themselves, all my other belongings I will leave behind, w

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Given no further direction from his comrades, Maesyn returns to the tavern and fills Marlae in on the situation.

He isn't sure what to do the next day when she makes it clear she'll be performing priestly activities. "Shouldn't we at least try to figure out what's going on at the temple?" he asks.

Maesyn Silverhair

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Given no further direction from his comrades, Maesyn returns to the tavern and fills Marlae in on the situation.

He isn't sure what to do the next day when she makes it clear she'll be performing priestly activities. "Shouldn't we at least try to figure out what's going on at the temple?" he asks.

Maesyn Silverhair

"And what do you suggest? The other 3 are within, presumably under the auspices of worshippers. What more can be done?"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn and Marlae

Spoiler
    Show
    Maesyn is a little taken by the fact that Marlae is going to do her clerical duties today rather than focus on the Temple of Mystra. Marlae replies that she thinks that the other 3 are safe in the Temple and does not see what else can be done.

Aust, Savin and Zarien.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aust is silent for the entire series of events.

Savin is getting used to sleep on mattress and start to learn to enjoy modern comfort. He leads the cleansing ceremony.

Zarien who knows a trick or two about deception decides to adjust the ceremonial robes and hides a few alchemist items.

The guard walks them back to the Petitioner’s quarter and they stay there. Time goes by and nothing happen. No one bring them water nor food. They can hear and smell the guards having their lunch right next door but they are left at their own device in that room. They are getting hungry and thirsty. It is about 1:00 PM. The 3 heroes have been in their room for 5 hours now.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know," replies the bard with some resignation. "I suppose I had hoped you had some appropriate divinations prepared."

He ponders, "Even so, though, perhaps there are other steps we could take while the others are occupied. Surely someone outside this temple knows something. Perhaps masons or stonecutters who worked on its construction? Loggers who supplied lumber for doors and furniture?

Maesyn Silverhair

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae

Spoiler
    Show
    Marlae spends the day doing clerical duties and find the people of Wheloon welcoming and respectful of worshipping a different god.

Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Maesyn decides to spend the free time he has to investigate. He gathers the following information from builders “The new temple went up real fast. They didn't spare any magic when building it, that’s for sure. But I suppose that's what we should expect from clerics of Mystra.

He also heard the following information “The Purple Dragons investigated the place after some folk complained of weird lights and odd noises at night. Imagine that!!! Odd noise and light at a temple devoted to the use of magic!!! Of course, the Dragons didn't find anything.

He also learned that “I hear that the clerics of Mystra have not been too friendly with our town's traditional churches. That's probably due to big-city church rivalry.

As Maesyn is about to return to the Wyvern Watch Inn, a woman approaches him. She looks totally disheveled and her eyes are red and puffy. It looks like she has not slept in days. However, she wears jewelry indicating that she is a woman of means. She looks at Maesyn and with a broken voice “I have heard you ask question about the new temple. Could you help me with …. with …. “ She stars sobbing hysterically.

Aust, Savin and Zarien

Spoiler
    Show
    Lunch came and left and no food nor water was provided. Around 3:00 PM, Shan Thar brought them into the middle temple for some praying to Mystra. The praying was generic. At 5:00 PM, a guard brought food and water for only one person, telling them to share. The heroes, starting to feel the effect of the lack of food and water are starting to show signs of fatigue.

As the sun came down, a guard brought them outside for the nightly ceremony. Fembrys started the praying and quickly disappeared. Shan Thar took over with the man in the grey robe who again cast a silent image spell.
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-03-20 at 11:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    "I don't know," replies the bard with some resignation. "I suppose I had hoped you had some appropriate divinations prepared."

He ponders, "Even so, though, perhaps there are other steps we could take while the others are occupied. Surely someone outside this temple knows something. Perhaps masons or stonecutters who worked on its construction? Loggers who supplied lumber for doors and furniture?

Maesyn Silverhair
    She looked at Maesyn skeptically. "And what would you have me pray to the Morninglord to uncover that which we already don't know? Starweaver Thar confirmed that he acted upon the suspicion that Tunaster was not of sound mind or a potential imposter; a hypothesis that I do not necessarily dismiss considering the accounts of both men. Tunaster demanded audience with the Temple's leadership, was denied, became belligerent, and then suddenly fled. Tunaster's account does not contradict this; in fact by his demeanour and paranoia at divining our own moral character without ever asking my name only reinforces it."

She shrugged. "It appears to me that this is a misunderstanding blown out of proportion by two paranoid men. Perhaps it is not so much of a surprise considering they worship the Lady of Mysteries. I believe a discourse between both parties to be by far the best course of action. Normally, I'd have thought the act of firing arrows at the Tunaster would be sufficient cause for concern but he did not feel the need to press charges with the local authorities on this point but rather just to investigate the premises and once more he 'suspects' they only did a cursory investigation."

Sighing. "The only counsel I can provide is speak with local authorities. I doubt builders would know much more outside of the general layout of the temple. The fact that Tunaster informed us it seemingly sprung out of nowhere implies that it was constructed through magic. Which is not out of the question when it comes to followers of that goddess. If any builders are involved, it is commonly performed by lay worshippers of the faith so they would likely support the temple proper."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aust quietly attempts to talk to his comrades sitting next to him. The seem to be treating us with less than generous care. For holy men, they seem to not be the most giving. He again sits quietly, attempting to focus on the men giving the prayer.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Familiar with some of the trappings his people have with fasting in order to see visions, Savin nods at his comrades, thinking that this is some modified version... but why have 3 people eat the food for 1?
    <City dwellers probably couldn't handle the true hardships required by faith> he thinks to himself.

Go ahead, you two, I will be fine without it.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae & Savin

Spoiler
    Show
    Marlae explains clearly to Maesyn her position on the situation. She hints that Tunaster might be paranoid and she argues that the proper approach would be to have both parties discuss and clear any misunderstandings. As this is not possible because Tunaster is gone, she advises talking to the Purple Dragons.

For Marlae

Spoiler
    Show
    It your call if you want to be next to Maesyn when the woman approaches him

Aust, Savin and Zarien

Spoiler
    Show
    Savin, used to rations himself gives his part of the food and water to Aust and Zarien.

For Savin

Spoiler
    Show
    By tomorrow morning without food or water, Savin will be fatigued (A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a –2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity)

Aust points to his two comrades that the priests are not very generous for good priests. Shan Thar has instructed them no to eat or drink anything during the praying ceremony. It is exactly the same ceremony as yesterday.
    Spoiler
    Show