New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

"Certainly, dear woman," the kindly bard replies with a comforting arm around her. Please, take some time to compose yourself; you are safe here with me.

He looks around for a bench or other nearby seating, preferably an inn or someplace where he can get her a drink of water.

After attending to her needs as best as he can, and making sure she is comfortable speaking, he kindly requests that she continue with her explanation.

Maesyn Silverhair

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn (and Marlae if she is at the Wyvern Watch Inn)

Spoiler
    Show
    The elf tries to comfort the hysterical woman and direct her back to the Wyvern Watch Inn. He gets to sits down and calms herself down as a waitress brings her water and some watered down beer to Maesyn. Finally her sobbing ends and she takes a sip of the water.

My name is Mela Basult. My husband is …. , tears start running down her cheeks, .. “ is Amnic Basult. We a=have a bookshop near the market. Amnic always had an interest in sacred rituals and ceremonies.” She stops and takes another sip of water. “ He was very excited about the new Temple of Mystra and was very curious about their ritual about Mystra’s Sacred Trust. He had never heard of it and could not find any documentation on it. He visited the temple often and kept telling me that something was a little off. He was not sure why.

She stops and stars shaking but recompose herself.”8 days ago, he has gone missing. I went to the city Watch and the Purple Dragons and they told me that they would not get involved in domestic issues. There was no sign of foul play so they said that he could finally left for a young woman. I am much older than him.”. She stops and restarts but her voice is now broken. “Finally 3 days ago as I was cleaning the bookshop looking for a clue, I found this in a crack between the floorboards.” and shows Maesyn a parchment.

As Maesyn takes the piece of paper, Mela starts sobbing again. The parchment is a pamphlet for the new Temple of Mystra and on it is written “Do they really hold Mystra’s Sacred Trust?

While sobbing, Mela continues “This is Amnic’s handwriting. I showed this to the Purple Dragons and they went to interrogate the priests at the temple but they said they had no idea who and where Amnic was. The guards confirmed that. They said that the question on the pamphlet did not incriminate the temple and they would need real evidence before accusing the priests of anything.

Her voice raises and her breathing is louder and heavier “I know they have him. I know he did not leave me for a younger woman. He loves me. We worked on finding information about the ritual together. They have him but no one care. I know they have him. I know, I know, I know

She buries her head in her hands, sobbing uncontrollably.

It is about 8:00 PM. Maesyn and Marlae are at the Wyvern Inn. Aust, Savin and Zarien are attending the nightly ceremony dressed as Petitoners.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

As Savin walks into the area for prayer, he scans the assembled group to see if anyone stands out.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[14](14) + 0 for search or +4 for spot

He also asks one of the priests on the way in
    How long does the fasting continue for?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

As Savin walks into the area for prayer, he scans the assembled group to see if anyone stands out.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[6](6) + 0 for search or +4 for spot

He also asks one of the priests on the way in
    How long does the fasting continue for?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin does not notice anyone special other than Femfrys who started the ceremony and immediately left. Shan Thar leads the singing and praying and the grey robe man stands next to Shan Thar, reeking of alcohol.

When Savin asks Shan Thar how long the fasting it, the priest replies "This is not fasting as you were fed. The cleansing process last 3 days. Feel free to leave if you are not worthy of Mystra."
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

"Goodwife Basult, I share your concerns about this temple," Maesyn replies. "I have friends inside as we speak, and I hope they are learning as much as they can about the activities occurring within."

He ponders and looks through his pack to see if he has any spells that will help him. He could try to infiltrate the temple during the evening ceremony using his scroll of invisibility, but the possibility of counteracting magic seemed likely given the nature of the temple.

Coming up empty, he examines the pamphlet more closely. He casts a simple detect magic spell, to see if the pamphlet registers any sort of magical energy.

"Goodwife, do you feel safe in your home?" asks the bard. "I could pay for a room for you if you would feel more comfortable. For myself, the Mystrans will be starting their nightly ceremony soon, and it may be a chance for me to communicate with my friends on the inside. I can tell them of your husband and ask them to look for him, if you tell me what he looks like."

Maesyn Silverhair
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2012-03-22 at 08:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

She consoles the woman with a comforting smile. "Goodwife Basult, what did you and your husband find if anything?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ever since they told them to change to these black robes Zarien has been scowling, a fact that only became more apparent with each passing moment, from the food to the praying and the casting of minor tricks. The wizard is not pleased, and his stomach make ungodly noises all night long that agree with his sentiment. Are they trying to kill us with this sort of treatment? Someone less inclined to respect others' lives would just grab the food and let his bed mates starve... I sure am glad the big southerner isn't like that.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae and Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Mela Basult slowly raises her head and in her red, tears-filled eyes, Maesyn and Marlae see hope for the first time.
    Her voice is still broken as she speaks. “I feel safe at my home. Thanks for your offer. Amnic. MY husband has beautiful green eyes and blonde hair. He is short but skinny. He has a little scar under his left eyes. He is very smart and loves to talk about books and increase his knowledge about anything.

She turns to Marlae “What we found was that we could not find anything. We have various books on religion and rituals and we could not find even one faint reference to Mystra Sacred Trust. This is what fascinated Amnic. That was something new that no one had documented. This is why he kept asking and asking about details and he said the priests would not give him any details.

She looks at the two of them and falls on her knees “I am begging you, please help me find him. My life is meaningless without him. We do not have much means but you can have anything you want that I have. I just want to be with him again. Please, I beg you.

Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    The pamphlet does not have any magic on it.

Zarien, Aust, Savin

Spoiler
    Show
    Zarien realizes that something is definitively off right now but he is not sure. He knows he cannot go on half rations and Savin looks like he is starting to suffer from his decision to forfeit his share of food and water. Zarien is showing his displeasure but Shan Thar does not seem to care.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks at Than Shar and ponders for a moment before replying.

It is not a problem but just concern for the welfare of my fellow applicants.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Shan Thar looks at Savin and replies "They are free to leave if they are unworthy" and moves on to the ceremony.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Marlae and Maesyn

Spoiler
    Show
    Mela Basult slowly raises her head and in her red, tears-filled eyes, Maesyn and Marlae see hope for the first time.
    Her voice is still broken as she speaks. “I feel safe at my home. Thanks for your offer. Amnic. MY husband has beautiful green eyes and blonde hair. He is short but skinny. He has a little scar under his left eyes. He is very smart and loves to talk about books and increase his knowledge about anything.

She turns to Marlae “What we found was that we could not find anything. We have various books on religion and rituals and we could not find even one faint reference to Mystra Sacred Trust. This is what fascinated Amnic. That was something new that no one had documented. This is why he kept asking and asking about details and he said the priests would not give him any details.

She looks at the two of them and falls on her knees “I am begging you, please help me find him. My life is meaningless without him. We do not have much means but you can have anything you want that I have. I just want to be with him again. Please, I beg you.
    Marlae frowns and immediately helps the woman up to her feet. "Goodwife, never say such things. Life is never meaningless, there is always a new Dawn, the light that chases away the darkness."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

((Do we still have time to make the ceremony if we hurry?))

"Take heart, goodwife. We will get to the bottom of this," Maesyn replies. "I swear it in Hanali's name. No one should be kept apart from the one she loves." Few things could gall a follower of Lady Goldheart more.

He sets off for the temple as quickly as he can, hoping Marlae will come with him.

Maesyn Silverhair

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

As Shan Thar turns, Savin frowns at his back.
    <It would seem that he cares little for his flock> he thinks to himself as he mentally takes note of the priests demeanor before continuing with the ceremony.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Mela Basult gets up and holds Marlae hands really tight. “So you will look and find my Amnic? I would be forever in your debt. Thank you, thank you, thank you.” She kisses Marlae’s hands frantically until the cleric pulls away.

Maesyn (And may be Marlae) decides to go to the nightly ceremony.

It is in full blast as they arrive as they are chanting the stars names and the silent image spells animate the stars.

They can see their 3 friends wearing black robes. All 3 of them look tired and Zarien and Savin do not look that happy.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Mela Basult gets up and holds Marlae hands really tight. “So you will look and find my Amnic? I would be forever in your debt. Thank you, thank you, thank you.” She kisses Marlae’s hands frantically until the cleric pulls away.

Maesyn (And may be Marlae) decides to go to the nightly ceremony.

It is in full blast as they arrive as they are chanting the stars names and the silent image spells animate the stars.

They can see their 3 friends wearing black robes. All 3 of them look tired and Zarien and Savin do not look that happy.
    Marlae will see to Mela getting back to her home safely. She will wait for Maesyn to confer with the others before taking any rash actions.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn again surreptitiously casts his message spell, pointing at each of the three in turn.

"Be watchful for a short blond gentleman with green eyes and a scar under his left eye," he whispers so that only his cohorts can hear. "A scholar of sorts who may be here at the temple and need help escaping. His name is Amnic Basult, and he may have information that could assist your investigation."

Maesyn also looks at the assembled congregation to see if he can spot Amnic Basult himself.

Maesyn Silverhair

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Marlae accompany Mela back to her house. It is on the floor above the book shop. There are books and manuscripts overflowing every shelf. The inside of the house is modest yet very clean. All during the walk from the Inn to the bookshop, Mela kept thanking Marlae.

Maesyn is able to connect with Aust, Savin and Zarien and asks them about Amnic. None of them has seen in while inside the middle temple.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Savin hears Maesyn and unconsciously nods to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Savin will continue to keep an eye out for Amnic along with anything that he might deem suspicious.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn seems at a bit of a loss. "If there is anything you need," he suggests, "you may whisper it to me when you get a chance and I will hear it."

Maesyn Silverhair

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn connects with the 3 heroes using his bardic magic.

Savin has no recollection of seeing anyone but guards or priests in the middle temple.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The ceremony ends and the 3 petitioners are bought back to their quarters. The temple close and Maesyn goes back to the Wyvern Watch Inn where he is joined by Marlae.

The next two days go like the previous one. Maesyn does not gather much information indicating foul play. Marlae goes providing goodness cleric duties to earn her keep.

The three petitioners are sent in the morning to wash themselves. Zarien repeats his trick. After that, they put on new robes and wait. And Wait. Guards are fed at noon but no them. At 6:00 PM, enough food and water for one is brought and they have to share. All are fatigued by the lack of food and water.
    After the light dinner, it is prayer time and when the stars come out, it is the same ceremony with the same silent image trick.

Day 3 of the ritual is the same except that the 3 petitioners are close to exhaustion. Except that after the nightly ceremony is over, Aust, Savin and Zarien are brought to the middle temple and Shan Thar inspects. He looks at the 3 heroes and smiles. “You are finally ready. Let’s see if you can earn Mystra’s Sacred Trust!

The guards lead them through the north door inside the inner temple. Shan Thar does not follow them. Slabs of obsidian line the floor, walls, and high ceiling of this room. Two thick, square columns each hold a single blazing torch on their west face. This arrangement provides uneven light to the front of the temple, but leaves the temple’s further recesses in shadowy darkness, especially the two large stone figures set in the rearmost alcoves. Also poorly lit is a dark stone altar set forward from the statues but behind the direct light offered by the pillars.

The torches dim in unison. Two warriors in banded mail slide from the shadows, one from each edge of the chamber. They appear somehow distorted-shadowed and colorless. These two guards look different from the ones the 3 petitioners have seen in the courtyard or the middle temple.

Fembrys is standing there and asks all petitioners to assemble in the area between the two pillars and in front of (to the west of) the altar.
    Once they are assembled, Fembrys intones, "Prepare yourselves to receive the Sacred Trust. You are about to look upon the Starry Gnosis, All your questions are soon to be answered."

Fembrys goes behind the altar and unlocks a secret compartment in the altar. He pulls out the Starry Gnosis-a black globe, like a crystal ball gone dark-and holds it for all present to view. It is a grapefruit-sized crystal sphere with a dark inner heart. No light can pierce it, but tiny points of light, like stars, twinkle within the globe at the periphery of the dark core,

He says “Knowledge lies between the stars” and a smile appears on his face as the dark globe starts shining.

For Aust, Savin and Zarien
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll 4 will save with -5 penalty. Stop if you meet of beat the DC of 16. Good luck Gents.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by achinca; 2012-03-30 at 05:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn is staying nearby the temple after the nightly ceremony in a desperate attempt to have any clue what's going on inside.

Maesyn Silverhair

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Maesyn is staying nearby the temple after the nightly ceremony in a desperate attempt to have any clue what's going on inside.

Maesyn Silverhair

Marlae stands idly by Maesyn, waiting to see if this truly merited the delay in her pilgrimage.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Savin shuffles through the ceremony, hunger gnawing at his belly, making it hard for him to concentrate. As Fembrys continues the ceremony, Savin has a hard time concentrating on the words.

As Fembrys brings out the orb, Savin feels something creeping at the edge of his conscious...

Spoiler
    Show

Ack! Will saves

(1d20-4)[8](4)
    (1d20-4)[17](13)
    (1d20-4)[9](5)
    (1d20-4)[18](14)

Reminds me of Hunter in the Dark....

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

* post roll count doesn't match database

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Maesyn and Marlae
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maesyn and Marlae wait outside the temple of Mystra, knowing that tonight is the end of the ritual for their 3 groups members. As he has done the past 2 nights, Maesyn has established contact with them via his bardic magic power.
    He hopes the communication hold and tells him and the good cleric next to him what is happening inside

Savin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Savin looks at the orb and feels its dark light engulf him. Suddenly he feels has if the orb is trying to take over. He tries to resist by the 3 days ritual has tired him too much. Finally, he breaks down and lets the orb takes over. Savin is now dominated. Savin hears Fembrys in his head "You are now mine" followed by an evil laugh.

Dominate: You can control the actions of any humanoid creature through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject’s mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

"I hope we finally get some answers tonight. I hate having had to wait so long, when there may be people in danger," Maesyn comments to Marlae as they wait for word from the others.

Maesyn Silverhair

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aust sees the orb and looks deep inside. He sees the white dots, yet something tells him to look away. He tries to focus…

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls:

[/roll]1d20-3[/roll]
    [/roll]1d20-3[/roll]
    [/roll]1d20-3[/roll]
    [/roll]1d20-3[/roll]

Edit: My bad.
    Last edited by StandardBC; 2012-03-30 at 10:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls:

(1d20-3)[14]
    (1d20-3)[17]
    (1d20-3)[4]
    (1d20-3)[-2]

Natural 20 and natural 1… Wow
    Last edited by StandardBC; 2012-03-30 at 10:12 PM.