New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1136515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2464
  1. - Top - End - #1801
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cormyr - The Tearing of the Wave

"You guys make my decision a lot easier." the gnome shrugs.
    "I am in"
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Never toss a Dwarf... Halflings are much lighter."

2. - Top - End - #1802
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin is the first to join Axara in her quest. The plainsman feels that Tempus wants him to stop the evil being done to the Weave.

Rayen is the next one to join her. The dragon shaman known little about the Weave but feels it is the right thing to do. Axara smiles at the woman as she whispers “thank you Sister

Ryxikor acts like it is the right thing to do but his motivations could be quite different. After all, the elf never hid that self-preservation was always his ultimate motivation.

Quill is direct and to the point, which is different for the usually quite eloquent gnome.

Maesyn stays silent, may be waiting to hear more about what Axara knows.

Once all the heroes are near the portal, Axara starts sharing what she knows.

First, make sure the share the help we received from my Church. If the elders selected such potions and scrolls, they must know something. Now this is what I was told. The plane of Shadows is likely where Shar’s servants are hiding to pursue their evil deeds. I have little to no clue of what is waiting for us but I can tell you that it will likely not be pretty or pleasant. The Plane of Shadow is a dark echo of the Material Plane. For example, where mountains exist in the "real" world, mountains exist on the Plane of Shadow. Where towns and cities exist in the real world, settlements lie in "the world of shadow. As we will be entering the plane of Shadows from a point inside the Vast Swamp, we should expect to be in a great black swamp. There is no natural illumination on the Plane of Shadow, and unnatura l gloom dominates the plane.

Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures with normal human vision can see dimly to a distance of 60 feet, and can't see anything past that (targets within 60 feet have concealment, and targets more than 60 feet away have total concealment)
    Creatures with low-light vision can see 120 feet against shadowy illumination.
    Creatures with darkvision can see as usual for their darkvision range.

The illumination ranges of all light sources, including spells that produce light are halved on the Plane of Shadow. Magic will be different and might not work the same. I do not know more about that issue. It is time to say our goodbye to Kessessek and his tribe and make the final preparation because we activate the Dusk Lord passage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

3. - Top - End - #1803

"Before we go i recommend we have a nice warm meal" the gnome points to the groceries muscles and Silks got from him.
    "We don't know how the plain will effect our taste-butts it might be our only decent meal in days."

As the gnome snoops into the Mystran bag and sighs in disapoitment.
    "I will take a daylight scroll possibly two, as most of these scrolls are already scribed into my spellbook... A dispel just incase."

He looks at the cleric "P-Axara, would you be so kind to carry my rastion again?..."

Suddenly the weasel on his shoulder screams in his ear. As the two converse in there Empathic Link.

"No trusting smaller pairs with eatsies, we gone hungry because smaller pairs was no trusting with eatsies. Big ape eat eatsies."

"right, right i will keep your share"

4. - Top - End - #1804
    Ogre in the Playground

Maesyn has been uncharacteristically silent. But his face betrays his concern: he is troubled, and it is a concern that manifests only after Axara announces her intentions.

After all of the others have agreed to go, he finally speaks.

"Lady Axara, I share your concern for the sanctity of the Weave and all of Faerun. I'm no expert, but I know enough to understand the danger this poses to the entire world. But I have trouble believing that this threat is so urgent as to require us to travel to a hostile alternate plane, with so little preparation.

"Wouldn't it make more sense, and greatly improve our chances of survival, if we took a tenday to return to Wheloon -- or, perhaps better yet, on to Saerloon -- do some research, gather supplies and maybe some allies, before coming back? Surely our actions here, by stopping the flow of 'recruits', have set back their plans sufficiently to buy some time?

"If not... well, perhaps it would be best if I did so alone, then. It is not that I wish to abandon you to whatever fate awaits beyond that portal... far from it. I worry deeply about your safety. But I have neither the magical aptitude to compare to that of Quill or Axara, nor physical prowess that would match the others' skills. Without more preparation, I fear I would be more of a hindrance than a help."

Maesyn Silverhair

5. - Top - End - #1805

ElfPirate

Ryxikor overhears Maesyn's words to Axara, and is a little bewildered.

This minstrel sounds more like a wizard, wanting to lock himself away somewhere to study, instead of a bard, traveling the lands and perhaps the planes for knowledge.

Realizing Maesyn has helped the group out on more than one occasion, the elf simply states, "Your skills are needed minstrel." the rogue looks at Maesyn as he walks up closer to the pair. "I've seen you give the killing strike, heal, cast even the smallest of cantrips to get us out of some precarious positions, and I still haven't forgotten about that little celestial dog taking out the shadar kai archer leader all by itself." Ryx hesitates a moment trying to read Maesyn's expression, "And when you play and sing, I think we all can admit it lifts our spirits and helps us fight that much harder. Yes, your skills are needed."

After saying what he thinks was probably too much, the mercenary turns on his heel and walks away, to prepare for the plane jump, but as he walks both Axara and Maesyn hear the elf murmur, "If you don't follow, our chances for success are cut in half."
    Last edited by puffmagicdragon; 2013-08-12 at 08:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1806
    Titan in the Playground

Savin walks up to Maesyn, slapping him on the shoulder in comradery.
    "Friend, you were one of the first people who I have met since coming to this land and the only one of our group who originally set out together on this mission to survive this far besides myself. I am not lying when I say I would not have survived this long without your vibrant words uplifting our spirits and your sword guarding my back this long. Ryx speaks true: without your aid, our chances of succeeding are greatly reduced. With your help we may win through this quest and save this world. The choice is your and I will respect your decision but know I would be greatly honored to have your blade at my side once again."

7. - Top - End - #1807
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Rayen remains quiet and lets the men talk to Maesyn about staying. She pulls a small figurine of a dragon out of her bag made of copper stone and turns it over in her hands for a few moments. Then she sighs and places it back. She moves over to Quill and watches him short through the groceries. "If you are going to cook something before we leave.... need an assistant?" If he agrees to her help, she will assist. If not, she will sit down near Axara and wait for the group to get ready to move out.
    Do not mettle in the affairs of Dragons. For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

8. - Top - End - #1808
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Axara smiles at Quill “I would love a home cooked meal. Have not had one in a while and frankly, alligator meat is a little blend. I am more than happy to hold you provisions … OK you changed your mind? Fine .. Whatever please you accountant

Maesyn finally speaks and expresses his reservations regarding going to the place of shadow. He wants to go to Wheloon or Saerloon and gather information.

Both Ryxikor and Savin step in and tell Maesyn that he is an integral part of the team and his skills are truly unique and could not be replaced. A look of shock and sadness is on Axara’s face.

Rayen stays quiet and offers her services to help Quill cook.

Axara finally speaks “Maesyn, I will not force you. You need to follow your calling. I will not think less of you if you decide to follow another path. Please know that it is an honor to be by your side and what you bring to the group is one of a kind. I shall greatly miss if you decide to go to Wheloon or Saerloon.
    She waits wondering if Ryxikor, Savin and her efforts have succeeded in changing the silver elf’s mind.
    Last edited by achinca; 2013-08-13 at 11:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1809

ElfPirate

Already eaten a hearty meal earlier in the day, Ryx ready to go thru the portal now has to sit and wait for the others. The elf returns organripper to it's sheath, then looks for a spot in the keep to lay down and rest, since the last nights rest, in the care of the purple dragons, wasn't so good. He gets his bedroll out of his backpack and lies on top of it, for a nice soft 'mattress'. He reaches up to his foppish wide brimmed hat and pulls it low over his eyes, then slowly doses off, his left hand obviously close to organripper.

Spoiler
    Show

ooc: I figured the gnome would have just gotten a couple of rabbits, like he did when they were on their journey from the river to the swamp, I think with the help of his burrowing friends. While Ryx was in jail, Quill could have probably caught all kinds of wild game. oh well, I find myself usually wrong

10. - Top - End - #1810

"No, no" Quill correct the cleric "I will keep hold on the the chicks. Scouty over here doesn't trust you enough with her share" he points to his familiar assistant

With that he excepts Rayens help as he bakes the eggs and bacon, and passes the fruit and some of the bread and cheese.
    As he opens his bottle of Chess-nut's blueberry wine his familiar rips of the head of one of the dried chicks and eats it like a rebbit zombie.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by puffmagicdragon View Post
    ooc: I figured the gnome would have just gotten a couple of rabbits, like he did when they were on their journey from the river to the swamp, I think with the help of his burrowing friends. While Ryx was in jail, Quill could have probably caught all kinds of wild game. oh well, I find myself usually wrong
    Quill is in a swamp i am no expert but there is a reason there is no bunny on the lizardsman menu.

11. - Top - End - #1811
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Rayen does what ever Quill asks, noticing that the gnomes orders are a lot easier to follow than Thore's. Afterwards, she sits near the fire and nibbles on her food slowly as if enjoying the last real meal she might have for awhile.
    Do not mettle in the affairs of Dragons. For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

12. - Top - End - #1812
    Titan in the Playground

Savin, in a bit of a funk due to his friend second guessing the nature of the mission, sets back and watch the others eat as he goes through the items he picked up in Wheloon, handing over Quill his list of items along with any monies left over.

13. - Top - End - #1813
    Ogre in the Playground

"I appreciate your kind words, friends," Maesyn replies. "So be it, then; we travel together. But I would urge you to consider my words as well. We were woefully underprepared for our journey here, and I would not wish to repeat that mistake in a place where the very laws of nature are altered. It would be nice to have the upper hand for a change, don't you think?"

Maesyn Silverhair

14. - Top - End - #1814
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Ryxikor decides he should ferment his wine intake and decides to take a nap. He quickly falls asleep as he works out the side effects of too much drinking.

Axara smiles at Quill “This is about the chicks that the gambol ate, isn’t it? Well Quillmeister, tell your assistant it was not my fault. I am really sorry it had to go hungry.

The illusionist starts cooking with the help of Rayen and pretty soon the smell of a delicious breakfast invades the room.

The group of heroes enjoys a delicious meal as the snoring Ryxikor misses on it.

Savin is taken a little back by Maesyn reluctance to go to the plane of shadow but after hearing his friends, the silver elf decides to continue the adventure. He states again that he feels under-prepared to go to the plane of shadow. Axara smiles at him ““You are correct dear friend but at one point we need to progress and take a chance to stop the evil that is happening to the weave. In an ideal world we would have all the time to prepare but the elders were quite insistent on the urgency of the matter. If we were not in a middle of the Vast Swamp, we could have afforded a say or two but the round trip to Wheloon is 10 days. We will try our best and I am ready to share whatever information I have about the plane of shadow.

After the great meal and great wine cooked by Quill and Rayen, the heroes decide to wake up Ryxikor. Although the elf is not in the best mood as a fantastic dream was broken, he does not feel the effects of his drinking binge.

The group bids their adieu to Kessessek who promise them he will hold the last refuge with his warriors. Halish and the 3 sorcerers said goodbye, each apologetic for attacking the heroes. They decided to return to Wheloon.

The group circles the orb and Axara says ““How should we proceed? Shall we all go at once or should we risk sending one person?
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1815

"It would be pointless to send one to scout ahead. As we will only learn the trifles when.. if he/she returns." Quill pauses for a a few seconds.

"I suggest to wear the cloaks these shar cultist where wearing. That could give our enemies a pause if where... walking into an coup de main."

ooc: Before they use the orb quill will cast his mage armor spell

16. - Top - End - #1816

ElfPirate

Ryx lazily stands up and stretches, as a couple vertebrae pop as his spine aligns itself back up, the result of a battle hardened life. After loosening and warming his muscles, the elf leans over, rolls his bedroll, and returns everything to his backpack. He takes some water, washes his mouth out, and spits the rest on the floor. Having already eaten a very large meal with many ales to wash it down, the rest was good for Ryx's spirits and head, as he notices the effects from the alcohol are gone now also. He adjusts his wide brimmed hat to just the right tilt and fixes his cloak. Ryx unsheathes organripper as he walks up to the others, "Hmm, pretend to be cultists or pretend to be the pawns they manipulate?" the elf says slyly. "Axara, may I have one of those protection potions?" he asks. And when all is ready, Ryx walks through the portal last, holding organripper in one hand and a protection potion in the other, expecting trouble from the onset, and hoping Maesyn was wrong about more time being needed to ensure their victory.

17. - Top - End - #1817
    Titan in the Playground

"I like the idea... well, the combination of the two. A couple of us posing as the cultists and the rest as pawns... it may give us a moment or three of surprise if we run into anyone, long enough to end any alarm that may be shouted."

18. - Top - End - #1818
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"If we decide to pretend to be someone we are not, I'll go as a pawn." Rayen speaks up. "I do not know enough about this whole ordeal to pretend to be a cultist."

19. - Top - End - #1819
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt any of us has a good grasp of their twisted way of thinking, but we must endeavor as best we can. I will take one of the cloaks and pose as a dumb guard." he laughs wryly at the last bit.

20. - Top - End - #1820
    Ogre in the Playground

"I doubt the ruse will work any longer than it did here at the keep," Maesyn points out. "But it's better than nothing, I suppose."

Maesyn Silverhair

21. - Top - End - #1821
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The group decides to go all at once through the orb and into the Plane of Shadow.

Quill proposes to wear the cloaks although they do not have any mark identifying as member of an organization. These are plain cloaks. Maesyn is currently wearing the cloak that Thieraven wore. The wizard cast the mage armor spell right before going through the orb.

Ryxikor feeling now up to the tasks take some potions the Mystrans gave the group and is neutral about the idea of pretending to be cultists and dominated.

Savin likes the idea of trying to deceive their enemies. Rayen concurs and volunteers to act like a dominated person. Savin proposes to pretend to be a guard.

Maesyn reminds everyone that the last attempt as fooling people failed miserably.

Axara nods at the group “I will be like Rayen. As a follower of Mystra, I cannot pretend to be a Sharran. I will do my best to try to act dominated. Everyone ready? Let’s go!

The group circles the orb with Maesyn and Savin acting like Sharrans and the rest of the group pretending to be dominated. They all touch the orb at once and feel like they are being transported across the planes.

Suddenly the heroes find themselves in a hall like the ne they just left, yet oddly different. This room seems like a ruined version of the keep’s great hall. The doors, columns, and statues are cracked and peeling, and one of the larger doorways simply opens out into black night. In addition, two wooden doors exit the hall to the north and there is a single iron door to the south.
    A heavy, oppressive gloom fills the air, and the three hanging lanterns barely illuminate the room. Shadows gather in the corners and all colors have faded to gray. Seen from this side, the portal through which the heroes just passed is a glowing white orb.

TheShadow Citadel is in even worse repair than its Material Plane counterpart. Only five statues stand in this room; the statue and the revolving platform do not appear in this shadow reflection of the great hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Map to come
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1822
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks around and, not seeing anyone, whispers to the others "Which door?"

23. - Top - End - #1823

ElfPirate

Ryx looks around the room, gripping organripper tightly, almost expecting the shadows to attack them. He turns to the plainsman, "Well, we know those two doors lead to the front of the keep and eventually out. But that door," he says as he point to the lone door in the back of the room, "...led to a second floor. Should we check it first?"

The elf moves lightly to the lone door, and carefully places his ear against it, trying to discern anything.

Spoiler
    Show

listen: (1d20+4)[16]

24. - Top - End - #1824

Quill koffs "I advice against in going up." he whispers.
    "We are unaware what awaits us and i don't like the idea of cornering ourselves"

25. - Top - End - #1825
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"I agree with Quill." Rayen whispers as if afraid of her voice carrying. "We should do what we need to do here and get out. Axara? Do you know where we need to go?"

26. - Top - End - #1826

ElfPirate

Ryxikor looks to Quill, Accountant, I would rather be cornered as opposed to something sneaking up behind us, maybe coming from upstairs, to ultimately be flanked from all sides. We need to leave no stone unturned."

The elf then turns to the others and states matter-of-factly, "We check all rooms."

27. - Top - End - #1827
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Savin is the first one to assess the situation and wonders which was to go.

Ryxikor remembers the layout of the keep and goes listen to the door leading down to the tower. He hears nothing through the thick iron door.

Quill expresses his beliefs to get out of the shadow keep as soon as possible. Rayen supports Quill idea. The shaman asks Axara’s opinion.

The cleric replies “I do not know. All I know is that the dominated people end up in the monastery on this evilish plane

Ryxikor insists that making sure nothing dangerous follow them which requires checking the room.

Axara says “I see your point and it makes sense as does Quill’s. What makes no sense is a splitting of the force. We need a unified approach. Savin, Maesyn, what do you think?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1828
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we find we cannot handle what is in the room in the back, then our escape is right here," Maesyn points out. "Personally, I think it's very important that we know how secure our exit point is. This portal is our life line; we cannot afford to lose access to it... at least not until Master Quill here learns to cast the gate spell." He says this last with a smile.

Maesyn Silverhair
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2013-08-15 at 08:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1829
    Titan in the Playground

Savin looks a bit disgruntled by all of this speaking of magic but he sees Maesyn's tactical point clearly.
    "Maesyn is right. Without this passage way back to our world, I fear what would happen to us. On the other hand, the greater picture is we must succeed in this mission. That is paramount. The question then is: which direction is most likely to be the passage? Not outside. My understanding city people and nobles is they always want to be as far inside and as far above the common people as possible, which makes me think we need to go through the inner door."

30. - Top - End - #1830

ElfPirate

Ryx grabs the door handle and slowly turns it, testing to see if it's locked.

If the door is unlocked, he quietly lets the others know, so they can prepare.