New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Creating Warforged

So suppose a world has no war-forged in it, approximately dark ages technology, but still has high level wizards/psions and such. What would it take for a high level wizard/psion to discover a way to create war-forged? What level could he do it at? What would it cost etc. Supplies etc. What would it cost just to make the first one, or a handful before mass production began?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Creating Warforged

Given that House Cannith only did it when they discovered the Xen'Drik Giants' ancient creation forges, and said forges have never been given proper in-game stats, you're looking at Epic-level magic at minimum (in fact there is an Epic spell that creates a species).

It's a safe assumption that the forges are artifact-level items, possibly even beyond that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Fau, i mean you are making a soul and then effectively putting it into a golem body
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    Given that House Cannith only did it when they discovered the Xen'Drik Giants' ancient creation forges, and said forges have never been given proper in-game stats, you're looking at Epic-level magic at minimum (in fact there is an Epic spell that creates a species).

It's a safe assumption that the forges are artifact-level items, possibly even beyond that.
    Well, they were able to replicate the forges, so while designing them (and maybe some key components) can be much higher level, building them likely isn't. They're Eldritch Machines (read, "pure fiat") instead of artifact items.

As for production costs, FoW gives warforged a ~6k gp pop price (training included), with larger batches being cheaper.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually have a method for this using special materials. Uses several special materials and alchemical agents that when woven together could make up a Warforged.

Livewood (ECS), counts as a living thing.
    Living Metal (MoF), is metal that heals
    Thinaun (CWa), is a metal that can non-magically contain a soul

Quintessence (srd), after the psionic Power makes it it's no more magic than a Wall of Stone after the spell makes it. Maybe used as blood for your creation, gives them a timeless quality perhaps.

Additionally Shapesand (Sa), works as a binding agent to keep your woven conglomerate together.

And finally, the Minor Servitor spell from Savage Species. Gives your creation mental scores and makes it a Construct.

Weaving each material together in small enough layers would allow the every part of the creature to share the same materials traits. It's living, has a soul, heals, and can reshape enough of it's form to heal a wound closed.

It's not perfect but it's all I've come up with through RAW so far.

Edit: This would be waaaay more expensive than the 6k listed price for Warforged.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-12-03 at 08:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Livewood (ECS), ****s as a living thing.
    Missing an "o" there.

Not bad, though warforged don't heal naturally, so you could skip Living Metal.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Another thing to keep in mind is that the warforged weren't supposed to be sentient. Non-sentient warforged were produced throughout the Last War and only gradually began to become sentient through a process no one understood or could explain.

My player profile.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the warforged weren't supposed to be sentient. Non-sentient warforged were produced throughout the Last War and only gradually began to become sentient through a process no one understood or could explain.
    It was tweaking the creation process for other purposes (by Merrix d'Cannith [grandfather of that Merrix]) that accidentally caused the warforged to become sentient, if I remember my FoW correctly.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    It was tweaking the creation process for other purposes (by Merrix d'Cannith [grandfather of that Merrix]) that accidentally caused the warforged to become sentient, if I remember my FoW correctly.
    I believe you're correct but it was still an accident and as far as I can remember they still don't know why or how the tweaking caused sentience.

My player profile.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnDarkblade View Post
    I believe you're correct but it was still an accident and as far as I can remember they still don't know why or how the tweaking caused sentience.
    Yeah, no one really understands how creation forges or warforged work.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

And any setting that introduces Warforged should get a Lord of Blades to go with the deal. Because even sentinent machines need their champion.

House Cannith knows how to make Warforged (and according to some, still do... shhh), but there is yet no explanation to why they became sentient. The technology that creates Warforged is based on the ancient Giant-technology that the Canniths discovered, and they used it to create automatons to use in warfare (hence the name Warforged). The sentience came later, and no one knows why. IIRC.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

There is the 9th level Fabrication domain spell from AEG's Gods under Impossible Things page 71. That could easily make a Warforged. It would cost 6,400gp per casting(DMM Occular, Ray Burst for more efficiency). However I like unseenmage's idea more. It is more involved and of course doesn't have that fall back of "who cares how it works, magic did it."

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

If this is something you plan on PCs accomplishing in a game, it should be the focus of the campaign, or at least a major facet of it, and not some individual player's whimsical goal.

If it is an NPC under the DM's control attempting such a feat as creating the Warforged race, make it some secret project that has been going on for generations rather than a single Wizard's doing in one lifetime (even magically enhanced).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post

Which one are you referring to?

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

There's also the ghul'la, the mark on a Warforged's forehead. No one puts it there, but it is different for every Warforged, and if you replace that plate the ghul'la appears. It appears to be related to sentience / ensoulment of the Warforged - although I believe it's still up for debate if WF have souls, as they don't wind up in Dolurr after death.

So I think you need some sort of "divine" assistance to produce sentient Living Constructs, not just constructs. Something no one can explain happens during the process, and it's not just "Oh it's magic", because House Cannith is all over magic and they don't have a clue what's going on.

I therefore opine that to introduce Warforged you not only need epic magic, you need luck. Your Warforged-maker has to create a forge, and then tinker with it, improve it, polish the shiny parts, and repeat over and over. Eventually, you may make the change no one understands and produce sentience.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem View Post
    Which one are you referring to?
    Origin of Species: Achaierai, probably.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-12-04 at 10:17 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    Yeah, which can easily be adapted to other species.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SethoMarkus View Post
    If this is something you plan on PCs accomplishing in a game, it should be the focus of the campaign, or at least a major facet of it, and not some individual player's whimsical goal.

If it is an NPC under the DM's control attempting such a feat as creating the Warforged race, make it some secret project that has been going on for generations rather than a single Wizard's doing in one lifetime (even magically enhanced).
    More like something I planned on potentially making a character go for, so that the next character I made could be a warforged himself, and would have a reason for existing in that world, more or less a year of real life work to be able to make a level 1 character one day. Yes, I know I'm crazy, but It would be one heck of a ride

19. - Top - End - #19

An Origin of the Species spell is the only RAW way to do species creation.

That being said, you can make a better than normal Warforged if you want.

Step 1: Make a Shadesteel Golem (I would advance it to 26 HD) and pay the extra 8,000 GP for it to get an Int score equal to 1/2 your CL.
    Step 2: Hit your golem with a Psychic Reformation, Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos, +5 Tomes for every stat, and the Ritual of Shadow Walking to get it optimally set up and capable. If you can convince your DM to let you, PAO it into a human and level drain it down to one HD while using 25 Thought Bottles to store its XP and then restore the XP, having it pick class levels instead of HD.
    Step 3: Create an auto rest trap of Ice Assassin of your Shadesteel Golem. Calling it a Creation Forge seems like a good name.
    Step 4: Get 4 "Warforged" every day (more if you time accelerate your creation forge) that are all utterly loyal to you.
    Step 5: Cast Telepathic Bond on each "Warforged" and have a Solar with Tenacious Spell: Permanency make those bonds permanent (along with all other useful Permanency choices). Hide Life is also a nifty choice.

Profit with your ever growing army of utterly loyal robots of deal.

There is also creating a Shadesteel Golem and then changing it to a non construct form before whacking it with True Mind Switch. You now basically uploaded yourself to a robot body.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.