New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: [4E] Heroes of the Feywild [IC]

Dredge

Dredge reads the list carefully, trying to discern a pattern. When he reaches the bottom, he looks up at Celestria, trying not to narrow his eyes suspiciously. "Why is Caelin's father's name not listed here?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

"What can you tell us about the criminal underground of the city. I'm afraid I've been away for a while ..."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of her son's father, Celestria's manner turns cold and the snow around her intensifies, a sharp freezing wind cutting at you.

"That is of no importance, and he does not live here anyway. It is useless to mention him. You already know the only salient fact about the man, and the less said about him the better." She calms herself forcibly, a rather forced-looking smile crossing her face.

"Now!" She claps her hands together. "I haven't really noticed a pattern to the pairings, and I've only met some of these people once so I honestly don't remember some of them that well. Veldrin on here was the son of a drow and a summer, if that helps. But I'm afraid I just don't know about that." She frowns. "The criminal activity, that I do know a bit more about. It was about a month ago, a couple of weeks before the kidnappings started. We started getting reports from our contacts that there'd been an upswing in requests for cold iron, specifically shackles... If the two are related, it could be that whoever is taking the children is using those horrid things to keep them from escaping. They'll keep an Eladrin from teleporting, after all. Well, none of the fey races are fond of such horrid things." She frowns.

"I last knew them to be operating near the docks, but they'd cleared out... We think it's just the one group. There are several in the city, of course, but only one seems involved in this. Kerazt Vareth might be able to get you in touch with someone. One of the missing children is his nephew, so he's got reason to be concerned, and he's rather well acquainted with the more... Shadowy aspects of things. He's a high priest of that awful Vhaeraun, though, so be careful. Kerazt isn't particularly evil that we know of, but he's a drow, and not like most of the ones here. If you can put up with his foulness, he'll probably know someone who knows someone. The usual ridiculous nonsense of that sort."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rumble,Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

Thank you for the leads, m'lady. What of the Formorians? What part might they play in this? Those wretched things hollowed me out once, and I'd like to do the same to them one day.
    Last edited by Sol; 2012-02-20 at 12:49 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"The Formorians are ever against us, as I'm sure you know, but recently they've become more bold. They've yet to move against the city, but they seem to be consolidating their strength and preparing for something, according to reports we've had from our spies in the Feydark." She frowns.

"I don't know if it's related, but I certainly wouldn't put it past those monsters to kidnap Eladrin children. Then again there's several groups I wouldn't put it past." She sighs.

"I would appreciate it if you would attempt to keep all of this... Somewhat quiet. Certainly don't let on that you're working for me if possible, but try to be subtle in your investigations. I don't want panic to break out... Now, is there anything else I can do for you? I need to return to my duties." She reaches into a pouch and quickly scribes down some directions that prove slightly less infuriating than the ones that brought you here that will help you find Kerazt and the families of the missing children.

"I thank you for your willingness to assist in this matter. If you need my help, use this." She hands you an envelope with a piece of the same strange ice paper as the original letters. "Write what the situation is and seal the envelope, and this will be teleported to me. I'll answer as soon as I can." She looks distraught.

"Please... Caelin is all I have. Please find him. And the others as well." Barring any last minute questions, she takes her leave in another swirl of snow and frigid air.

[OOC: Feel free to ask any last minute questions.]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #36

Rumble, Earthsoul Genasi Berserker

After the Eladrin vanishes, Rumble shivers, wondering if the time of her revenge has come already, sooner than she had dared to hope. At last, she sighs, shakes her head slightly, and stands up. "Oh yes, I almost forgot," she says, reaching back down for the Frozen pick. Pondering it for a moment, she decides there's little use for such a weapon at the present. Rumble tilts her head back, opens her maw wider than you would have thought possible, and drops the pick down her throat.

After straightening her head and clearing her throat, Rumble regards the rest of you. "Seems to me this Drow Kerazt is our best lead. My, that's quite cold; I've never done that with Ice before. Very refreshing! You must try it sometime."
    Last edited by Sol; 2012-02-21 at 07:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

"I agree that we should talk to Kerazt, but I also think it's suspicious that Celestria would refuse to tell us who her son's father is. Even if he does not live here, perhaps we should attempt to track him down."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

After seeing Rumble drop the pick down her throat, Spartowhawk gasps. "Whoa! That was so cool! How did you do that? Where did it go? What else do you have in there?" He asks, buzzing around Rumble's head.
    Awesome Pony-Chul by slayerx!
    My computer is on the blink. Posting will be affected.
    The endless wisdom that is my extended signature lies here.
    I have Pokemon!

9. - Top - End - #39

"Dirt, mostly, sand and stone. Why? What do you have inside of you?," Rumble lets out a strange noise which must be a giggle.

"Come, little one, let us find Kerazt, or search for the boy's father; there are more pressing questions to be asked."
    Last edited by Sol; 2012-02-21 at 08:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Tajal

Tajal frowns, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "I don't see much value in tracking down this lady's husband," he says after a while. "Were he responsible or connected, no doubt she'd have tracked him down already. I doubt Asmodeus could match the fury of a woman's scorn."

The eladrin eyes Dredge. "Regardless of how suspicious you may find it, it strikes me as a family problem rather than one connected to the disappearance of eladrin children."

He opens his mouth to say more, but decides against commenting on the... earthy lady's rather baffling appetite. Once one has seen a man conjure eight steeds out of nowhere and hide a large saddle in a small pouch, very little tends to surprise one.

"In light of this, I propose we find Kerazt first, and extort whatever information we can from him."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I don't know what I have inside of me. Maybe I should turn my skin invisible, to find out."
    Awesome Pony-Chul by slayerx!
    My computer is on the blink. Posting will be affected.
    The endless wisdom that is my extended signature lies here.
    I have Pokemon!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    Yes. Let us visit this priest of Vhaerun and see what he knows of his nephew's whereabouts. Making mental notes of the directions, Baruk immediately sets off in the necessary direction. He gently touches the rose tucked into his belt. How long will it take me to go mad with companions like these? laments the paladin internally.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge sighs inwardly at the easily-distracted pixie. No doubt he would have found the irrepressible creature endearing once upon a time, but now the inanity simply got on his nerves.

When Baruk sets off, he immediately follows, eager to get on with it. "Yes, I agree that the priest is our best lead."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

The directions take you, after a minor bit of confusion, to the very edge of the city, past sweeping marble towers that spiral towards the sky, houses grown of living trees, crystal mansions and all manner of exotic, artistic architecture reflecting the love of the native elves and eladrin for beautiful things.

In contrast, the area you find yourself in is almost grimly utilitarian. Even here there's a careful cultivation of beauty, but it's a stark, harsh beauty, in far darker tones. In the center stands a small temple built of obsidian and black marble. Around the grounds are scattered several drow, all but one males dressed in black and wearing black half-masks that cover the upper halves of their faces. One of these consoles the only contrasting member of the scene, a weeping drow male dressed in clothing more typical of eladrin style. The pair are seated on a bench just outside the temple entrance.

As you approach, the outlying drow eye you warily, but make no hostile movements. You overhear the remaining two talking as you approach the bench.

"How could Corellon have let this happen, Kerazt? How?" The masked drow grimaces at the mention of the fey god, but pats the other man's shoulder comfortingly.

"You know the gods tend not to interfere directly in the affairs of mortals. If they prevented all harm from happening to us, it would strip us of our free will and leave us weakened, lesser beings forever unable to reach our potential." He looks up as he notices your approach.

"An odd lot, to seek out the temple of the Masked Lord. Not a drow among you. Let me guess, you're here to hassle us about whatever criminal activity we're being blamed for this time." He stands and crosses his arms in a gesture that clearly asks you to get on with it and stop wasting his time.

15. - Top - End - #45

Tajal

"As a matter of fact," Tajal starts, but he quickly decides that it may not be a good idea to agree with the man. He looks over at his newfound allies for a moment, then back to what he presumes to be Kerazt.

"Not quite. We're here on business to investigate a matter. I presume you are lord Kerazt Vareth?" He tries to smile disarmingly, best as he can, while being mindful of being respectful... even if he is consorting with a drow.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    Recalling what knowledge he can of Vhaerunite worship, Baruk attempts a typical Vhaerunite greeting. May eyes turn blind the path you step, Masked One. As my companion has indicated, we are investigating something. Specifically, an increase in the trade of cold iron and other illicit materials; trade the Council has utterly failed to stamp out. We were hoping you might know someone who would know more, or perhaps who would know who would know more, explains the paladin, trying not to get turned around as he speaks in the fey style.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Kerazt chuckles.

"And may shadow cloak your deeds," he responds, clearly amused by Baruk. He shrugs mildly at Tajal.

"Kerazt Vareth, yes. As a matter of fact, I've got nothing to do with that. Actually, I've been trying to find it out myself. Trust me, I know all about the failings of the Council, I'm on it. That lot of poofy fairies couldn't figure anything out."

"I haven't found out exactly who's buying the cold iron yet, but I know who's selling it. Group of low-lifes under some jerk from Mithrendain." He frowns. "None of us has been able to get close to them, but maybe you guys can. Obviously we're pretty well known... Perhaps you can get in with them and force it out of them?" He shoots a look back at the other drow still seated on the bench.

"Look. This is... It's personal for me, OK? Don't tell anyone this, but there have been disappearances lately. See him? That's my brother. His son's gone missing, and I've got a bad feeling the two things are related somehow. Veldrin's my nephew, and we're close, and if I find the miserable bastards responsible for this I'll rip their hearts from their chests with my bare hands if I have to." He shudders with barely contained emotion. "The gang hangs out a tavern called Autumn's Fury. You find them, you figure out what the hells is going on, and you let me know so I can... Deal with it. Or deal with it yourselves. But I've got to find Veldrin. And whoever took him has to pay." He glares at you from behind his mask, waiting for a response.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge steps forward and removes his hood. "Thank you for the information. You have been very helpful," he says politely. "Perhaps we can infiltrate their organisation, rather than immediately resorting to violence. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Is there anything else you can tell us about this gang? Size, racial make-up, other criminal activities they might engage in?"
    Last edited by Conundrum; 2012-02-24 at 09:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

"And if you have any information regarding the missing children - such as a list of the parents, we would be much obliged. The information we received from our employer was....incomplete."

Rumble hesitates for a moment, and then adds, "I'm sure your eyes in the dark are aware that the Fomorians are preparing for something. Do you think this is all related, somehow?" As she speaks of the malformed Giants below, Rumble's eyes glow momentarily, before she regains control over her fury.
    Last edited by Sol; 2012-02-25 at 02:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

A white eyebrow rises above the top of Kerazt's mask.

"You think we haven't tried infiltration? Somehow they figured us out. Which is mad, even for the Feywild, since technically we're a bunch of criminals as well. Vhaeraun's a god of thieves after all, and we're drow at that. Honestly... I think someone on the council has turned stag. And no, it's not me. I'd never do anything to hurt my brother, and especially not Veldrin." He sighs.

"Yeah, the Bloodied Leaves. They're a bunch of Eladrin, mostly. Got some half-orc muscle, couple gnomes for stealth missions. Led by some jerk out of Mithrendain. Some wanna-be big crime lord sucking up to the real big crime lord over there. There's about fifty of them. Mostly they work in smuggling, a bit of burglary. Not as good at thievery as us, of course, but." He strokes his chin thoughtfully. He narrows his eyes at Rumble's questions.

"Ah, that's what it's really about. I can make you a list, sure. Might help to ask some of them." He grabs some paper and a pen and quickly writes down a list that proves to match the one you got from Celestria. He sees the question before it's asked.

"You've got a better chance of getting that kid's father's name from the Prince of Frost than you do from Celestria. Nobody knows. She's a priestess of Sehanine, kind of ditzy. Summer Eladrin, but she visited the winter lands a while back and came home pregnant and somehow she became a winter noble while she was there too. Won't talk about any of it. Best not to ask her." He frowns.

"The Formorians, yeah, they've been more active lately. Not sure it's them though. It seems to be mostly just their usual warmongering. It'll be a problem, certainly, I'm just not sure it's this problem." He sighs. "You might try talking to my brother while you're here anyway, but... Be gentle, ok? This is hard for him."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2012-02-25 at 06:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Tabita, Shadar-Kai Skald

The young woman steps forward. "Good sir, do you know where, exactly, one could find the fomorians?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wouldn't know they're up to something if I didn't," Kerazt says, shrugging. "Unfortunately, the extent of their presence in the Feydark near here has grown quite a bit. It'd only take a day or two to get there from here now." He sighs. "I don't know that I'd go spoiling for a fight with them, but if you want to go see if you can observe what they're up to for yourselves, I can have one of our scouts show you the way."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    At the mention of half-orc muscle, Baruk grimaces. Mithrendain is not a city fond of orc blood. That many of my fellow half-orcs turned to lives of crime to make do saddens me. His facial expressions show deep thought as he mulls something over. On top of that, their seedy reputation did naught but ill for my own name in Mithrendain...

He turns to the weeping drow sitting next to Kerazt. Sir Vareth, I know this is difficult, but can you remember anything from the time when your son was taken? Any information you can recall would be helpful.

Nai:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is this the same Rynthel (years later, of course) that you play in Tomb of Horrors? If so, might his psionic powers have helped him note something during the kidnapping other parents would have missed?
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is this the same Rynthel (years later, of course) that you play in Tomb of Horrors? If so, might his psionic powers have helped him note something during the kidnapping other parents would have missed?
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's actually mostly a case of 'All these names are starting to sound alike and I'm going crazy making them up, time to reuse some old names' and then forgetting that oh yeah, one of the players is in the game Rynthel's in'. XD

Rynthel looks up at Baruk, his eyes haunted.

"It happened so fast..." He sighs. "Veldrin and I were playing in the gardens, practicing swordfighting. He's good at it, much better than I am. I'm so proud of him..." He trails off for a second, tears streaming down his face as he shakes, staring blankly at his clasped hands. The man's despair hangs about him in the air, an almost tangible thing. "He'd disarmed me, and I went to retrieve my weapon. Then suddenly I felt a feeling of shock from him, and turned around, but it was already too late. Someone had him, then disappeared with him, and then I couldn't feel him at all..." He trails off again. "I didn't even see what they looked like. It happened so fast..." The man droops momentarily before suddenly springing up, grabbing the front of your outfit. "You have to find him. For the love of the gods, find my son. Please." He collapses onto the bench again, weeping. Kerazt quickly runs over to comfort him, pulling him close and stroking his hair comfortingly while looking back at you. Even behind his mask you can tell Kerazt is nearly as upset about things as his brother is.

"You can see why I'm willing to help strangers so readily. The more people trying to do something about this, the better."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Baruk
    I swear on my oath as a knight and on the gods whose banners I bear that I shall do all that is in my power to return your son to you, Sir Vareth, replies the half-orc, nodding approvingly to the priest of Vhaerun as he tries to console his brother. Baruk then turns to his companions. I would investigate the Mithrendanni smugglers as our next lead; if I get the chance to knock some sense into a few fellow half-orcs, all the better.
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge stands back and listens quietly, again noting only distantly the parent's pain at the loss of their child. What's wrong with me? he wonders.

Baruk's statement shakes him from his reverie. "I agree. If the Fomorians are involved, we're more likely to find out how by investigating the more obvious lead. I also don't think we're likely to find out much more by talking to other parents - we could waste a lot of time only to find that noone saw anything more than Rynthel here."

27. - Top - End - #57

Tajal

The eladrin, after his quiet observation, finally speaks up. "I'm not so sure we should decide this all too hastily," he mentions quietly. "This business becomes more convoluted by the hour. We have Fomorians amassing, eladrin criminals and council saboteurs all rolled into one, and I'm not sure of it that any are related. For now, though, I'd like to investigate those eladrin."

He quickly adds, "A criminal band with people who can teleport seems a likely and obvious lead, to be sure, but I think it's a fair chance we'll find our criminals there."

The Warlock does wonder at these Fomorians. If an attack were pending, that'd be disastrous, but the need for kidnapped eladrin children escapes him in such an event.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Kerazt gives you directions to the tavern the Bloodied Leaves hang out at. The directions prove to be accurate and straight-forward, and you quickly arrive outside. The tavern building consists of a large tree that despite the season is showing fall colors, the branches woven expertly together to create walls. A sign proclaims it to be the Autumn's Fury, and a staircase spirals around the tree up to a platform 20 feet off the ground. The sounds of music and a good time drift from within, and the smell of food and ale scents the air.

What do you do?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Dredge

Dredge proceeds immediately up the staircase and into the tavern. Once inside, he attempts to identify the members of The Bloodied Leaves, and positions himself close enough to them to eavesdrop on whatever conversation they might be having.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[9] Streetwise to figure out who the gang members are? Not sure how well they've been described to us.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

@Dredge:

As you enter the tavern, the half-orc bouncer at the door looks you over and shrugs. The inside is actually rather brightly lit through magical means that cast everything in the flaming hues of autumn, illuminating tables that seem to be composed of frozen arrangements of blowing leaves occupied by an assortment of eladrin, elves, gnomes and a couple half-orcs. A few heads turn at the unusual visitor, but mostly you're met by shrugs. You can't immediately identify most of the inhabitants, but it's obvious from the blood-red accents on the clothing of most of them who the gang members are. You catch a flash of a face that looks immediately familiar as an eladrin man who'd been talking at one of the tables stands and leaves, but you don't see it well enough to fully associate it. The person he'd been talking to, an eladrin woman in completely red clothing, black hair and an eyepatch over her left eye, stands and walks over to you. A couple of the half-orcs move hands near their swords and keep a close eye out.

"Well, aren't you an interesting piece of work. And what would one such as you be doing in the lair of the Bloodied Leaves?"