New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Bhaakon's Jade Regent IC

It's a poorly kept secret that the Rusty Dragon serves the finest breakfast in Sandpoint. It's true that Ameiko's establishment is best known as the raucous standard for local braggarts and ever-untrustworthy roving "adventurers," but the proprietor's collection of exciting stories and deft hand at he samsien are only eclipsed by her collection of exotic spices and deft hand at pastry. That, and the triple shot of brandy she managed to get into each serving of her special "dog hair blintzes," a legendary hangover cure among locals.

You aren't there for the food, though. Well, not just the food.

"Are you going to order some more coffee, or just sit there reading it?" Huffs Ameiko in mock anger, "you know I'm not going to kick you out like that bent-copper busker, but I could use the table. You're almost as bad as Shalelu." She nods towards the elf, who takes up an entire table with her mug of tea and apricot tart (which you well you know Ameiko wouldn't let her pay for).

"It," as Ameiko calls it, is a copy of the woodcut print you founded nailed to every posting board in town when you got up this morning:

Let it be known that the honorable Sheriff Belor Hemlock, in response to the recent use of incendiary and explosive fireworks by the Licktoad goblins of Brinestump Marsh to waylay travelers, has re-instituted the heretofore suspended bounty of 10 gold pieces on fresh, right goblin ears.

A further bounty of 300 gold piece has been placed on the head of the goblin known as "Gutwad," leader of the Licktoad tribe.

Additional rewards may be forthcoming for those who find and eliminate the source of the goblin's fireworks

The paper includes a crude drawing of "Gutwad," notable only for it's scarred right eye, comically bulbous belly, and garish spiked headdress.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bhaakon's Jade Regent IC

Bryseis sits in her work clothes, still rather filthy from a day at the forge, enjoying her dinner and the general atmosphere of the inn before heading home for the night. Her thoughts dwell on the last conversation she had with Niska Mvashti before she died, and the promise she'd sworn. Koya was staying around the town for the time being, so it seemed that Bryseis would be free to head out with the others to cleanse the surrounding area of its goblin menace.

"I think maybe I'll do it," she responds to Ameiko as she swallows a mouthful of the woman's excellent food.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"If only I could afford coffee" Kyus muttered under his breath. Greatswords were not the sort of thing that came cheaply, and he had busted his savings to get one for Elle, and spent the rest on some poor quality armour. And so he found himself in an interesting situation. He wasn't prepared for the life of adventure he had been building towards. He lacked half the necessary equipment. He didn't have a backpack. He didn't even have a weapon of his own. And the only way that Kyus could easily get the money needed would be to take out the goblins. He had to adventure to get the money necessary to adventure. Wonderfully paradoxical.

As Ameiko mentioned Shelelu, Kyus resisted the urge to look at her. Now was not the time to think about her. He could think about her once he'd established himself as a hero. At the moment, he had to be focused on what was important. He might not be ready, but he needed the money. So, he'd have to take a leap of faith, then.

He stood up and moved towards the poster, mentally preparing himself for the jeers that were about to occur when the other regular patrons realised what he was about to do. They knew that despite his dreams, he wasn't made out to be an adventurer. Not a muscle on his body, and without the money for tuition in the arcane arts. He wondered what they would think when they saw what he could do, now that he actually could cast magic.

"Mind if I help you out with that" Kyus said to the woman who just announced her interest, who looked like she was fresh from the forge. Maybe not the first person you would expect to be an adventurer, but neither was Kyus.
    Last edited by SecondRevan; 2012-05-25 at 12:52 AM.

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Kassander - Blackguard//Evolutionist. Thanks to Strawberries for the image
    Kyus/Elle - Summoner. Thanks to kpenguin for the image
    Tactics - Warforged Warlord. Thanks to Cieka for the image

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sliding her empty plate away from her, Bryseis stands and walks over to stand next to Kyus, giving him an appraising look.

"You sure you're prepared? I of course wasn't planning on going alone, but you don't seem the adventuring type. No offense meant, of course."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PD-G13 "Petey" sits in...well...his metal skin. Except in extremely cold weather, Petey doesn't see the need for clothing. He has spent the day alternating between helping Ameiko around the tavern and aiding Sheriff Hemlock in keeping the town safe (usually from animal pests, but sometimes the occasional humanoid troublemaker).

In a monotone voice (which is really how he speaks almost all the time), Petey replies, "Ameiko, I do not seem to 'speed up' or 'energize' with the consumption of 'coffee,' so I have stopped consuming it. Also, I am here because you seem to think I need to learn to 'socialize' more."

After scanning the wood cutout, the warforged thumps a heavy fist on the wooden table, rattling it. "The unlawful goblins WILL be prosecuted with extreme prejudice."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ameiko drops a steaming mug in front of Kyrus. "You can pay me back with a good story about the hunt," she says. "If you beat Shalelu to them, that is. I swear that she'd walk around wearing a goblin-ear necklace, if she thought I'd let her in the Dragon with it."

"There's no better socializing than over a meal, Petey. And comments like that are half the reason why I keep telling you to practice talking to more people."
    With that, the young tavern-keeper moves off to quiet a patron shouting for attention.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"This one's on me," Bryseis says, tossing down a silver to cover Kyus' drink and a refill for herself. She sits back down at her table and looks again at the younger man across from her. "What do you do, exactly, that you think you're the adventuring sort?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

After the young tavern-keeper moves off, Petey scans the tavern, locating two persons of interest. The golem gets up stiffly, and walks purposefully over to the woman in the dirty work clothes and the weak-looking young man.

"Greetings, fleshlings. How is your day? I am told that asking such questions is part of the 'social convention' of these parts. My aural sensors detect that you desire to end the life-functions of these 'goblins' in Brinestump Marsh. I support your endeavors and will recommend to Sheriff Hemlock that you two be temporaily deputized. Yes, even you, frail-looking one."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"Thanks for the drink" Kyus said, taking a sip of the beautiful coffee.

"What do you do, exactly, that you think you're the adventuring sort?"

"I have my talents" Kyus said, raising his hand and letting a spark of arcane energy jump from one finger to another. An effortless gesture, less than a cantrip, and one that Kyus did for a bit too long. He still hadn't got over the ecstasy of actually having magic. "And if you give me a minute, I can do much mroe than just that. Got my very own celestial paladin thing." Kyus paused as he tried to remember the technical name from his book. "Eilodon. She's called an Eilodon. Between her and a couple of other spells I've got up my sleeve, I'll be more than prepared." Kyus could tell that a large smile was on his face as he talked about it. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. "So, what can you do?"

"Greetings, fleshlings. How is your day? I am told that asking such questions is part of the 'social convention' of these parts. My aural sensors detect that you desire to end the life-functions of these 'goblins' in Brinestump Marsh. I support your endeavors and will recommend to Sheriff Hemlock that you two be temporaily deputized. Yes, even you, frail-looking one."

"Wow, I've been deputised. I have to say, of all the many ways I imagined this happening, I never thought it would be by a walking suit of armour that called me 'frail looking fleshling'."

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Imagined...what, happening? That the start of your 'adventuring' includes beings and situations outside of your norm? Or do you merely refer to being deputized?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Psst... it's eidolon, not eilodon.

"I've no idea precisely what it is you just said, but I'll certainly find magical performances interesting. I just use my sw--" the young blonde woman replies before being cut off by the strange metal man talking loudly at them. She stares confusedly at him, unsure how to respond.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Stupid mistake from me, but I think I'll run with it. Makes sense for someone so new at summoning to make mistakes.

"I don't have a problem with situations outside my norm. At least, I don't think I do. But there is a difference between 'situations outside my norm' and being recruited by a suit of armour that seems to have escaped from the guard barracks" Kyus had expected to meet unusual companions as a hero, but it was only now that he realised how unusual they would be. "If you want to help, I have no problem with that. I even encourage it. I'm a mage and summoner. And... um... Actually, how about we give everyone our names. I'm Kyus"

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm Faith," Faith says, sidling over to insinuate herself into the conversation. She smiles brightly. "Scholar, wizard of some small skill, would-be adventurer. I'm told goblins are a good place to start with that--" she glances over at Shalelu, who seems to be fully distracted by her pastry "--and there's safety in numbers, so... count me in!"

"As for this fine specimen," she adds, tapping Petey with her fingernail as if expecting a hollow sound, "it's a construct. A... thing... starts with 'f', I think." She snaps her fingers, trying to remember "I forget the proper name. I've seen simpler, cruder models at the academy in Magnimar but this one is magnificent. Where are you from?"
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

A burly figure darkens the door, barrel chest still wearing the heavy leather apron of a smith, beard and skin darkened by soot streaked with sweat. His voice booms out, "Ameiko, you have my usual ready? Eh, what's all this?"

"Bryseis, Kyus, Petey, 'morning. Huh, goblin bounty. Little buggers starting fires again. Well business has been slow and we can't have the town burning down. Looks like you lot are thinking of going at it? Eh, count me in then. Brother's got the work covered for a few days, a bit o' coin would sit well in my pockets."

"Petey, that new elbow-plate fit up proper? Not still squeaking, is it?"

"Oh, for any that don't know, I'm Conrad. Conrad Smith, to be specific."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

(I'm going to leave Petey's speech in capslock to show that he is speaking loudly and in monotone all the time)

"PLEASED TO MEET YOU, KYUS, AND YOU TOO, LADY WITH SWORD. I AM PD-G13, BUT MY FRIEND CALLS ME PETEY."

When the half-elf joins the table and speaks, Petey turns to look and pay attention, as he has been taught to do. The tapping of his skin does not peoduce a hollow sound, as Petey's insides are packed and the skin thick. "I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARFORGED RACE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR RUST, DO NOT BOTHER. A MOVING GOLEM GATHERS NO RUST." Isn't the saying 'A rolling stone gathers no moss'?

When Conrad the smith finally shows up loudly, Petey shows off that elbow plate. "IT IS WORKING QUITE WELL. MINIMAL WEAR AND TEAR. THANK YOU."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

With a bemused expression on her face, the blue-eyed young women speaks up. "I'm... just going to go wash up. What say we head out this evening, if we've already got such a large group? I'll just need to go get my things."

And with that Bryseis exits the inn, heading down the street towards her home.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Conrad holds up a hand. "How far is the camp? We don't want to be wandering about in the dark. Maybe an earlier start would be better?"

To Petey, "Let me know if anything starts acting up. You provide an interesting challenge."

Spoiler
    Show
    any time Petey needs repair, Conrad can help. He can add 5 once a day to any craft check involving metal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

@Bryseis
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's morning.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/...instumpMap.jpg

The brinestump marsh is only about 3 miles south of town, a 1 hour march

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

"OK, if you are Petey, and if you are Faith, then you must be Bryseis" Kyus calculated from Conrad's information, pointing at each person as he did so. At least there was someone that he knew in this group. That would make things much easier.

"How far is the camp? We don't want to be wandering about in the dark. Maybe an earlier start would be better?"

"The swamps are only an hour away, so it won't be that hard to reach. If someone goes and gets Bryseis, there's no reason why we can't all get ready now and leave. I only need to get my armour on and spend a minute to summon my eilodon.

"Conrad? You know Bryseis. How about you see if she's alright to meet with everyone else in an hour or so. That should give everyone time to get ready."

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"No time like the present, I guess," Faith says. "I have all my things. Oh! Except for Albert - my familiar - but he'll find me once we're outside."

She takes a small breath, a little nervous. She was going to be an adventurer! Goblin-hunting wasn't the sort of story she'd hoped to be a part of but it was a start - and if it was good enough for her sister...

Plus the 'war-forged' seems like a formidable machine. Surely goblins couldn't be a threat to something like that.

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    For Bhaakon's sake, I will not use all caps for Petey's speech. Just remember LOUD and MONOTONE.

Oh also, I appear to have limited internet access for the weekend.

The warforged stands up. "I am ready to go anytime. What is this 'Eolodon' you speak of? My databanks do not have records of it."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

With everyone agreed to pursue the bounty, you depart the Dragon to gather your gear, set your business in order for a short absence. At the agreed-upon hour, you're back at the tavern and ready to set off.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll leave is up to you to decide what time of day you want to leave. Like I said before, it's only about an hour's march to the swamp.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Bryseis returns to the inn a short while later, her hair still somewhat damp and her skin quite clean; the effect is profound, as her unassuming good looks shine through brilliantly.

That may also have something to do with the gleaming silver shirt of scale mail she is now wearing, complete with silver greaves and gauntlets and a blue tabard with the crest of Iomedae emblazoned large on it. A longsword hangs comfortably at her hip, and it is plain from the way she moves that she knows how to use it. On her left arm is strapped a large steel shield, and under her right she carries her helmet, with a loaded backpack on her back completing her attire.

"So..." she says with a grin as she steps into the common room. "Are we ready to go yet?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"I am ready to go anytime. What is this 'Eolodon' you speak of? My databanks do not have records of it."

"An Eilodon is an extraplanar creature that can be summoned by those with the necessary knowledge. My Eilodon will be able to fight alongside each one of us and give us a bit more firepower"Kyus made sure to correct Petey's mispronunciation of Eilodon. It felt good to be the expert or a change.

"So, everyone meet back here and we will go" Kyus said, and with the time agreed, left to get ready.

After getting ready

By the time Bryseis had returned, Kyus had already been waiting for twenty minutes. "Finally. We are wasting time by waiting here" Elle said, standing behind Kyus. Unlike Kyus, who, with the exception of the bright rune shining on his head now that Elle was in the material plane, was mostly unassuming, Elle was a majestic figure, taller than most and decked in heavy armour, etched with a large glowing duplicate of Kyus' rune. In her hand she held her greatsword, the one part of her that Kyus actually had to invest money towards, to his finances great frustration. At least he didn't have to pay for the armour. Her face was fair, with pure blond hair cut short and eyes that could only be described as piercing, complete with all the negative connotations that phrase had. Kyus learnt quickly to avoid her harsh stare. She truly was a celestial creature. Or an angel. Or whatever exactly she was. Kyus couldn't remember exactly how that worked.

"This is Elle, my eilodon" Kyus said as he pointed behind him.

"Eidolon" Elle corrected bruskly.

Kyus tried hard not to show his embarrassment. "Damn, now I feel bad for correcting Petey earlier. I've been making that mistake all day. Look, don't mind her. Elle is annoying, a hardass and annoying, but she'll fight a good fight." Kyus looked over Bryseis, looking professional in a well crafted suit of armour. "Got to say, it is nice to know that someone here is actually semi-professional about this. Between you and Elle's general... shininess, I look terrible in this cheap stuff" Kyus said, indicating to his wooden armour.

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

In the tavern, Petey's left hand has turned into a gun-arm, and he is ramming some blackish powder down the barrel with expert movements. He also has a backpack, although it is likely less full of things compared to the packs of the others.

When Kyus comes in with Elle, the Warforged launches into a greeting. "Greetings, steel-encased fleshling. You are wiser than the boy, choosing to protect body well with metal. I approve of your assistance on our mission. Is Kyus your supervisor? It would be strange to have the wise supervised by the less wise."

Spoiler
    Show
    This conversation happens well before Bryseis returns, but when Bryseis arrives, Petey will again indicate his readiness.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

When Faith returns, she has her hair tied up in a practical braid, revealing the slightly pointed tips of her ears. She carries a bundle of camping gear - which she has obvious trouble lugging along - a bow, and a quiver of arrows. Perched on the shoulder opposite the quiver is a black raven which peers about with beady eyes.

"Oh my," she breathes when she sees Elle. She looks to Kyus. "You bound a celestial while I was doing my hair? I feel a bit out-magicked. All I ever managed was Albert here." She indicates the raven, who ruffles his feathers.

"Tweet tweet," the raven says in a croaking voice.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Before Bryseis arrived, when Petey was talking to Elle.

"Kyus is not my supervisor. He is my summoner, and we are bound together. It is through him I gain the ability the ability to manifest on this plane."

After Faith arrived

"This is Elle, my Eidolon" Kyus said, being very careful to have each syllable of Eidolon in the right place this time. "I'm not good enough to summon her at even a fraction of full power, sadly, and I can't do much other magic. So don't worry. You will out-magick me by the end of this"
    Last edited by SecondRevan; 2012-05-27 at 04:37 PM.

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"Now that we're all here and ready, then, let's head out!" Bryseis says with a purpose, looking around at the assembled group. An interesting bunch, to be sure; it would be intriguing to see how their varied talents blended when it came down to it. Tightening her backpack's straps, she slips on her helmet, leaving its chin strap unbuckled and its visor raised as she heads out the door and south out of town.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Before Bryseis arrived

Continuing to speak with Elle, Petey monotones, "So, you do not have to do as he commands, L? What is your mission? My mission is to serve The Law."

After Faith arrives

"You there, weak-muscled fleshling named Faith. It is illogical to bring camping here, for we are not traveling far. If you must bring it, have the sturdier fleshlings aid you. Will your Albert aid you in combat or knowledge? If not, you can leave it home as to lessen the weight."

When it is time to leave

Petey steps in front when the party starts its journey. His head on a swivel (mostly figuratively), he watches for any dangerous animals or goblins, and scans for environmental hazards as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shall we wait for Stack? He'll be gone for the weekend. Petey has Perception and Survival of +6 of Bhaakon needs to roll any rolls secretly. Our Warforged has become the scout. Yay.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You still haven't given me the time of day, so I'm going to assume it's early afternoon

The march through town is quick and dusty, the late-summer heat and a steady off-shore breeze turning the dirt streets into a breeding ground for dust devils. The winds slackens off as you cross the bridge at the edge of town and head south.

The road is empty, as goblin attacks have caused wise travelers and local fisherman alike to avoid the area, and you make good time. In less than an hour you reach the high moors at the northern edge of Brinestump swamp, giving you a good view across the marsh to the steep bluff at its southern boundary, a little more than a mile away, but the high cypress, willows, and oaks growing in the delta below effectively hide anything in the Brinestump itself.

Up ahead, a weathered wooden post with a crudely carved fish marks the head of a well-used path that dives straight into the wall of vegetation.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2012-05-27 at 07:37 PM.