New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: [PF] Optimization Guides Compendium

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Read over it and added it. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but he does eventually get around to saying that a Wizard should buff and do battlefield control instead of using damage spells primarily, and there is a lot of useful information in there even if you need to dig a little.
    Yeah, that was my conclusion as well.
    His original add-on to Treantmonks guide were heavily in favour of blasting IIRC, blasting with matemagic, but still blasting.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

My own list of spells you can cast via Summon Monster. Unfortunately, there is a lot of the creature that have SLAs you cannot use, due to them having a material cost. True Seeing for example. A darn shame.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...WaL1yphBk/edit

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

There is a new barbarian guide over on the Paizo forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...q2U/edit?pli=1

I'm not all to well versed in the workings of the barbarian, so I can't say if it is on the level or not. Seems decent enough, but doesn't bring up much that the other did, me thinks.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Added both. Of course, I'm partial to my own Barbarian guide, but BARBARIAN AM SMASH includes descriptions of feats and sample builds - two things mine doesn't.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Added both. Of course, I'm partial to my own Barbarian guide, but BARBARIAN AM SMASH includes descriptions of feats and sample builds - two things mine doesn't.
    Your guide also lacks the BEST OPENING PARAGRAPH EVER!!!1!!
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

It's short & a rather niche guide, but you're welcome to add my guide on using the channel energy feats offensively as a cleric/oracle:

The Hangover Cleric Build/Mini-Guide
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suggest this guide to archery rangers, particularly the detail in which it explains the animal companions usefulness.

Also, found a ninja guide.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    I would suggest this guide to archery rangers, particularly the detail in which it explains the animal companions usefulness.

Also, found a ninja guide.
    Awesome. Added!
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I thought I'd point people to the Comprehensive Guides Guide. It has virtually every Pathfinder guide on the interwebs.

Comprehensive Guides Guide

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

Are there any guides like this for races? Like, classes, skills and feats that work well with a given race?

For instance, a Treantmonk-style overview of kobolds, along with the classes, feats and skills that complement them.
    Science team has vapor for brains!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I have a general optimization guide in my sig. Not 3.5/pf specific, but good general optimization stuff.

12. - Top - End - #42

Besides my earlier post, a lot of the current optimization guides don't cover for the featured and uncommon races. How good is a kobold sorcerer? A goblin alchemist? A merfolk summoner?

Some of these guides, I'd like some expansion as far as races are concerned.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voyd211 View Post
    Besides my earlier post, a lot of the current optimization guides don't cover for the featured and uncommon races. How good is a kobold sorcerer? A goblin alchemist? A merfolk summoner?

Some of these guides, I'd like some expansion as far as races are concerned.
    I cover them in mine, though I really need to revise some of my earlier content and I have no idea when I'll find the time to do so...stupid job taking up guide writing time.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold is easy to cover:

Don't be a kobold. Ever. No, not even then.

There, that was easy. I'd like to thank Paizo for making the writing of this advice so easy by giving kobolds a net -6 to stats compared to most races and not one single redeeming quality or even "weak, but cool" flavor option. If only all my guides could be so quick to write and yet completely informative.

15. - Top - End - #45

Well, there IS the Draconic Aspect feat tree. Isn't that helpful to kobolds?

Increased natural armor, fly speed, breath weapon and +6 resistance to sleep and paralysis doesn't look like anything to sneeze at.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, there IS the Draconic Aspect feat tree. Isn't that helpful to kobolds?

Increased natural armor, fly speed, breath weapon and +6 resistance to sleep and paralysis doesn't look like anything to sneeze at.
    Technically yes, it helps.
    But for the cost (4 feats!) it doesn't help near enough.

+1 Natural Armor is pretty poor (there is both an Alt-Race Trait and a Feat to get either this or Energy Resist 5, since the Resist is overall better, it is assumed you'd take the Trait).
    One "wings" feat gets you "Feather Fall that requires a Skill Check", a 2nd feat (at level 10) gives you a 20ft. Fly Speed.
    The Breath Weapon just makes me laugh. With the one feat, you get a _one_ per day Breath that does 2d6 damage. With a 2nd feat you get a _two_ per day Breath that does 4d6 damage (ooooh...aaah).

The only thing worth salvaging here is the Fly Speed, and I'm not sure that it is worth 3 feats for only a 20ft. Flight Speed.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Subscribed!
    Thanks for the initiative on this valuable thread, Nova!
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Love this thread, as I have it favorited and check it all the time when I need a optimization guide.

However, theres one thing I think is missing - guides to major PF prestige classes, such as the Arcane Trickster, Dragon Disciple, etc.

Is it that there are no good actual guides for them? If so, I might get around to making a PF Mystic Theurge guide.. imo the class is so complex due to its.. insanity.. that it needs a guide lol.

Anyhoo, thanks for compiling these guides!
    Last edited by Crustypeanut; 2013-03-15 at 06:57 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Where did you start yours?
    In a Gladiatorial Arena.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Anyone know of one for rangers that covers the natural attack combat style? I could use some help. Thanks much!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Anyone found a better Alchemist guide? Orc's is nice but no where near the in depth nature of other guide's like Treant Monk's God Wizard guide or Walter's guide to the magus.

Note: I'm not trying trying to be rude I'm just hoping I missed something and coming from 3.5/4e where the only issue with guides is choosing which of the 20 guides for each class you prefer it's kinda sad to see guoides so scarce (despite PF proving itself to be superior)
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2013-06-29 at 01:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Are there any guides like this for races? Like, classes, skills and feats that work well with a given race?

For instance, a Treantmonk-style overview of kobolds, along with the classes, feats and skills that complement them.
    There is this one. But it is completely bonkers. I disagree with a lot of the stuff in there, if not all of it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Kobold is easy to cover:

Don't be a kobold. Ever. No, not even then.

There, that was easy. I'd like to thank Paizo for making the writing of this advice so easy by giving kobolds a net -6 to stats compared to most races and not one single redeeming quality or even "weak, but cool" flavor option. If only all my guides could be so quick to write and yet completely informative.
    Or port in all the 3.5 Kobold stuff and ignore the Paizo stuff (except traits, I guess). And don't forget the web supplement. You know, I don't know why it seems almost everyone involved with Pathfinder seems to hate to involve anything with 3.5. There's quite a bit that can be ported without a problem. Hmm, you would need to give 3.5 Kobolds another +2 bonus to a stat. I'd say Charisma would work. That or decrease the Strength penalty to -2.

Paizo loves to make things total crap so that if you like a concept you have to suffer being awful. Heck, compare Kobold flying options to Aasimar or Sylphs. Kobolds need more feats and get something worse. Lame! Races of the Dragon just does Kobolds better.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2013-06-29 at 07:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blind_Prophet View Post
    Anyone found a better Alchemist guide? Orc's is nice but no where near the in depth nature of other guide's like Treant Monk's God Wizard guide or Walter's guide to the magus.

Note: I'm not trying trying to be rude I'm just hoping I missed something and coming from 3.5/4e where the only issue with guides is choosing which of the 20 guides for each class you prefer it's kinda sad to see guoides so scarce (despite PF proving itself to be superior)
    Actually, part of the point of starting this compendium was to draw attention to the fact that not every class has a guide and not every class has a good guide. One of my players is considering alchemist for my next campaign, and I've been toying with the idea of starting a guide - though I still haven't really finished my barbarian guide.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Firbolg in the Playground

So...I can't help but notice that there are two other meta-guides for PF, which contain several guides not on your list

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So...I can't help but notice that there are two other meta-guides for PF, which contain several guides not on your list
    The 2nd has way more class guides than the first but the 1st one has a bunch more Prestige Class guides and "Other" guides...if you (Nova) took what your missing from both guides yours would be quite extensive than we could focus on trying to petition people who are good at these guides things to nicely make some of the missing ones...or have people point them out

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Alchemist is probably the most obviously-undeserved class. I could make a thread about it, if there's interest?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Alchemist is probably the most obviously-undeserved class. I could make a thread about it, if there's interest?
    Undeserved?

I like the idea of an Alchemist class, though I'm not all to happy about the way PF have done it.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andvare View Post
    Undeserved?

I like the idea of an Alchemist class, though I'm not all to happy about the way PF have done it.
    Yeah It's more Drug Addict/Mad Bomber than Alchemist...I think he meant Underused

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant "underserved" lol. I was a little tipsy last night on the forums.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I meant "underserved" lol. I was a little tipsy last night on the forums.

We've all been there, well, I have.