New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Game for Beginners IC

Osan Emir, Paladin of Pelor

"I apologize for my pupil, Miss Aenar. He is... not himself. I also apologize if I was not direct with who I am and what my purpose was. Minstrels of your type are normally quite good at gathering information, so I would thank you to find me with any clues about the monster that you may uncover."

With a bow, Osan departs from Ilthea Aenar and finds Samuel to scold him for his rude behavior.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

After finishing their exchange and watching the two men depart, Ilthea considered her next move. There was certainly something afoot, and if that human Samuel Grey had heard them then they must not be buried very deeply. The elf who had originally drawn her attention was still of interest, but she doubted another out-of-towner would yield much, and the bar was now swarming with men, including Osan Emir and Samuel Grey.

Bearing this in mind she looked instead for some of the more reserved characters in the bar, those who were drinking alone, in the hope that there silent observations would supply her with the information she desired.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure which to apply, so I'll do all of them.

Spot check: (1d20+2)[14]
    Listen Check:(1d20+2)[12]
    Gather info check: (1d20+6)[16]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo

Even with the noise of the card game Feo could help overing hearing at least part of the squabble between the elf and humans. Monsters. So that's why the guards were so tense. I'd better get some information about goings on here. Better to be prepared than caught flatfooted. And here I was hoping for a quite evening. He starts dealing out another hand. "I've been hearing some talk of trouble in these parts is there anything that a traveler like me should be worried about?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information(1d20)[6]
    I can't mythic seems down will update when can get access
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise262 View Post
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

come fight to save the world or destory it
    Mega Man Heal/Hurt Round 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Samuel Grey

Thank you and i do hope you do not take it personally there are other ways but this seemed the most expedient. As for the monster to be perfectly honest very little only that the people of the village seems very on edge hence the town guard trying to get everyone in before night. I am going to try talking to the Bartender hopefully he has heard something.

Disengaging from Osan and the elf. Samuel makes his way through the crowd until he makes his way to the bar, catching the barmans eye he flags him over and says “I have a silver piece here for a drink and any information you can give me on this monster that has been terrorising your town”
    The barman strides over, his large frame shifting the air and causing the floor to creak. He listens for a second and then grabs the silver coin, placing it in a jar beneath the bar. He fills five halfpints and places them on a tray, motioning for you to follow. He takes the tray over to a table with two broad and hairy men, one a half-orc, as well as an elven woman and a halfling.

"This kindly young man who was providing that entertaining argument would like to offer some of the house ale in exchange for information on our latest monster problem."

The four grunt approval and partake of the ale. The elven woman turns to you.

"What can we do for you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Shepherd Abe

Abe opens one eye and watches the two humans and the elf snipe at each other. That, too, is a frequent sight in a tavern, and he's somewhat of a connoisseur of those, so a good claws-sheathed growling match is like part of the place setting. He perks up at the mention of a monster, and wanders over towards the barkeep, deliberately close to the trio of people he was listening to a moment ago. A tad louder than truly nessecary, he asks, "D'you know what this monster folks have been talking about is? What's the story? I'm from out of town, and I don't know the local news."
    The barkeep returns from serving drinks.

"Oh, it's the world's oldest story. Danger outside the town, no one goes out, trade suffers, etc., can I get you anything?"

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandrag View Post
    Ilthea Aenar

After finishing their exchange and watching the two men depart, Ilthea considered her next move. There was certainly something afoot, and if that human Samuel Grey had heard them then they must not be buried very deeply. The elf who had originally drawn her attention was still of interest, but she doubted another out-of-towner would yield much, and the bar was now swarming with men, including Osan Emir and Samuel Grey.

Bearing this in mind she looked instead for some of the more reserved characters in the bar, those who were drinking alone, in the hope that there silent observations would supply her with the information she desired.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure which to apply, so I'll do all of them.

Spot check: [roll0]
    Listen Check:[roll1]
    Gather info check: [roll2]
    Just as you find some people who seem likely candidates, you hear a snap of someone's fingers. You turn to see a man sitting by himself in the darkest corner, a cowl pulled over his head. When you approach, you see he is wearing a silver mask and seems to be playing with a long knife. He motions you over with the knife and asks you to sit down.

"I was wondering, you seem to be quite inquisitive. You probably looking for something to do right? Well I've got something. There's a monster in the woods, and I've need of something someone had who went before, if you follow. A wooden box in a backpack, and I'm willing to offer . . ."

He pulls out a pouch full of something jangly

"whatever the named price if to you and whatever group you have, within reason."

Quote Originally Posted by feo2 View Post
    Feo

Even with the noise of the card game Feo could help overing hearing at least part of the squabble between the elf and humans. Monsters. So that's why the guards were so tense. I'd better get some information about goings on here. Better to be prepared than caught flatfooted. And here I was hoping for a quite evening. He starts dealing out another hand. "I've been hearing some talk of trouble in these parts is there anything that a traveler like me should be worried about?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information[roll0]
    I can't mythic seems down will update when can get access
    Feo has made sixteen coppers in takings after the previous hand. No one meets his gaze when he asks. It seems he's touched a nerve.

"Just deal."
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe nods politely to the barkeep. "In a bit, sure. A minute, though." He then strides purposefully across the room, and claps the gentleman playing cards on the shoulder.

"Feo? By the Traveler, man, you've not changed a bit! What the hell are you doing here? Still losing your money to strangers, I see". The priest beams as he speaks, glad to see an old... well... acquaintance, although a couple of blurry memories he'd rather forget start to boil up. A cold alley, a broken bottle, warmth spreading over his hands... He blinks, hard, and forces his attention back to his old drinking and gambling buddy.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea approached the shadowy figure cautiously.

"I had heard there was a monster, but I will need a little more information than that before I even consider the offer."

Ilthea leans back and starts listing on her fingers.

"I need the exact location of this item. It's size, weight etc Any particular measures I will need to take to transport it. Who the previous owner was, why they can't bring it back, what the monster is, where it lives, why it has not been dealt with yet, and how much pay will I get in advance?"

"You are not paying for the services of a novice, so I suggest we talk seriously."
    She lets a small grin interrupt her face, hopefully taking some of the threat from her words, some but not all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[4]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

The barman seems to think you five know something of this monster, i was wondering what information you could give me on it. Is it one monster or a pack, large or small, you know anything that could help me and my friend here deal with it.

Also looking at you you seem to be quite a varied and well armed group and I was thinking that perhaps you had fought it before. Perhaps while traveling though the forest?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+3)[14]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo

"Abe!" Feo gets up and gives Abe a hug. " I seem to remember losing a silver piece or two to you." He turns to the others at the table. "Sorry fellas me and my friend here have some catching up to do." He turns to a nearby waitress and hands of some money. "A round of ale for me my friend here and the guys at the table" He turn to Abe "Let’s go to the bar so we can talk more privately as we wait for our drinks."
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir, Paladin of Pelor

Osan stomps up to Samuel's table. Ignoring the other patrons, he begins to rebuke Samuel. Most of what he says can't be heard above the rabble, but it's typical paladin rhetoric finally ending with, "...remember that you represent your deity and everything you say to an agnostic, favorable or not, reflects the nature of our god."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

Quickly talking to the patrons he was introduced to "Sorry my friend here wishes to discuss tactics, do you mind if i quickly talk to them."

Taking Osan to aside Samuel gets an annoyed glint in his eye and whispers to "Osan what could tell her I was a servant of Pelor all she saw was an old man in a hood with a weapon not particularly unusual. As for the insult towards the elf it was obvious that she was not local. Therefore she was placed in our path for some reason good or evil I do not know but either way she was more likely to show some measure of competence reacting to an insult than she was mindless chatter now we know she could be helpful in this case and everybody in the tavern knows this due to the loudness of our conversation making her more likely to be approached by someone who has information. If we want to prevent any more deaths or injuries due to this monster then we must move quickly as it seems to strike at night, and I don’t particularly care If I represent Pelor poorly as long as I can save the people who are in danger then I am sure any deity worthy of worship shall forgive me. If not and Pelor demands I sell these people into the night like my family was then he will of permanently lost my faith.

Turning back to the gathered five patrons in front of him and Quickly changing back to a confident grin he says “My ally here also asked if you could tell us what tactics you employed against this beast and what seemed to work so as we can best combat this monster."
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2012-02-21 at 07:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea approached the shadowy figure cautiously.

"I had heard there was a monster, but I will need a little more information than that before I even consider the offer."

Ilthea leans back and starts listing on her fingers.

"I need the exact location of this item. It's size, weight etc Any particular measures I will need to take to transport it. Who the previous owner was, why they can't bring it back, what the monster is, where it lives, why it has not been dealt with yet, and how much pay will I get in advance?"

"You are not paying for the services of a novice, so I suggest we talk seriously."
    She lets a small grin interrupt her face, hopefully taking some of the threat from her words, some but not all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: [roll0]
    You fail to pick up anything, his mask hiding his face and his motions controlled and measured.

"Some of these things I do not know, otherwise I would have it. It is six inches by four by three, and weighs about five pounds. It's a box, there is nothing specifically volatile within it. It has a silver rose embossed on the lid. The previous owner was a cleric of Hextor, recognizable by his clean shaven face, bowl hair cut and scale mail. You get finder's rights (NOTE: Finder's rights, in relation to adventurers, are a commonly agreed to term, which is that you get everything else you find besides specifically specifed items) which shall be satisfactory, plus the agreed upon price which I remind you has not left your lips as of yet and the invisible ceiling shrinks with each attempt to annoy me."

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Samuel Grey

The barman seems to think you five know something of this monster, i was wondering what information you could give me on it. Is it one monster or a pack, large or small, you know anything that could help me and my friend here deal with it.

Also looking at you you seem to be quite a varied and well armed group and I was thinking that perhaps you had fought it before. Perhaps while traveling though the forest?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: [roll0]
    The elf looks you in the eyes.

"We did encounter the beast, tall and mighty though he was. For much time did we fight him, but to no avail, and we were driven back to lose our treasure most dear, the rare wood taken from the heart of the forest used to enchant certain potions. It was, most assuredly, a beast of the kin of dragon."

The halfling pipes up.

"Yep, dragon alright *tic*, and one we are lucky to have escaped my boon *tic* companion must realize, for that was a green dragon, a scourge upon forests *tic* and an eater of elves and fey!"
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe

Abe weaves over to the bar with Feo and thanks him for the drink. "So, how've you been? I haven't seen you since... Well. That night I decided to leave. How'd you end up out here, what are you doing for work and such? I've got some stories to tell myself, but you go first." He relaxes comfortably in a chair, though his eyes are tense with bad memories.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

“A dragon?”
    Samuel asks surprised “I presume it was only young considering this town still stands and has not been reduced to ash. As for this wood where did you acquire it and where did you lose your piece since it seems we will be in the area shortly. So retrieving it should be relatively simple compared to fighting a dragon. At least if it is distinguishable from the regular wood on the forest floor. If you do not mind me asking which potions would this wood enhance?”
    A green dragon attacking people who where taking wood from the forest i wonder if they are telling me the whole story?

Spoiler
    Show
    I think a sense motive roll is in order to see if they are lying or hiding something
    (1d20+3)[22]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo

”Honestly I was just passing through just looking for a safe place to hold up for the night and possible a job to make some money. But it appears that a monster is around. Those two,” nodding at Samuel Grey and Osan Emir. ”and her,”nodding toward Ilthea. ”look to be getting more information than I could. And judging by the town it’s more than we can handle alone. And I don’t like going in blind anyway. I figure that if we go in now it’ll ruin any chance of getting information. So who do you want to question? I prefer the girl those law types get me on edge. Or do you prefer to be the lady’s man. Or do you want to settle this with rock, parchment, scissor?”
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

"Well then, I accept your commission, but it will come at a price. There are plenty of unknown factors involved, and I'm going to need a team. Factoring in these increased costs and the nature of the task itself, I will require a payment of 1,000gp (or equivalent) up front, with another 3,000gp paid on delivery of the box. This is my price."

Spoiler
    Show

Charisma check for him to like Ilthea/accept her proposition?
    (1d20+2)[22]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilthea Aenar

"Well then, I accept your commission, but it will come at a price. There are plenty of unknown factors involved, and I'm going to need a team. Factoring in these increased costs and the nature of the task itself, I will require a payment of 1,000gp (or equivalent) up front, with another 3,000gp paid on delivery of the box. This is my price."

Spoiler
    Show

Charisma check for him to like Ilthea/accept her proposition?
    [roll0]
    "Ha, I like your moxie. No payment up front, and 3,500gp on delivery."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Abe

Abe pulls his head back, surprised. "You still my Feo? A monster of some sort's hanging around and you've decided to tackle it? Traveler watch this, he's got respectable! Guess I'm not the only one, eh? I'll talk to the lawmen. They look like Pelorians, fellow men of the cloth. Well. Armor. You know what I mean. I'll go have a couple words."

With that, Shepherd Abraham plucks the amulet out from under his shirt, picks up his cloak so that the distinctive hem is visible and snatches up his staff. He weaves across the room to the two cleric-types. "Hello there! I'm Abraham Collins, ordained Shepherd of Fharlaghn. A friend told me you two were interested in taking on a monster of some sort?" He attempts a grave, man-of-god demeanor. Important to keep up appearances with Pelorians.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

"Indeed, my ascetic friend. Archbishop Bevalcqua sent us this way to help the Jethians with their current... predicament. We would appreciate you lending us any knowledge, and would be greatly indebted if you could lend us your fists, as well."
    Last edited by Tortoise262; 2012-02-23 at 01:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"500 now, 3000 on delivery. Final offer. I need to know you're serious, and that you won't just run off whilst we're out doing you're work. Think of it as a deposit against future gain, for both of us."

Ilthea holds out her hand, as though the conversation has been concluded.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

"500 now, 3000 on delivery. Final offer. I need to know you're serious, and that you won't just run off whilst we're out doing you're work. Think of it as a deposit against future gain, for both of us."

Ilthea holds out her hand, as though the conversation has been concluded.
    "500 now, 2750 later, or nothing now, 3500 later. Think of it as a tax for money up front."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

"A convincing analogy. I will take 3,500gp then, when I return."

Ilthea holds out her hand. "Do we have ourselves a deal?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilthea Aenar

"A convincing analogy. I will take 3,500gp then, when I return."

Ilthea holds out her hand. "Do we have ourselves a deal?"
    The hooded figure looks down at your hand and then looks down at his belt, pulling out a silver dagger. He places it into your hand and then looks out the window.

"Get out of my sight. Don't come back unless you have the box."

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Secretly afraid, but not about to show it, Ilthea takes the knife and stands, arching her eyebrow and giving the man a disdainful look, before turning on her heel.

She glances down at the dagger she has been given and wondering what she was given it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise check? untrained? (1d20+1)[17]
    Or knowledge arcana? (1d20+1)[19]

Not really sure if either should apply, so posting just in case.

She began to head over to Osan Emir and Samuel Grey, sheathing the dagger in her belt as she did, but saw they were already conversing with another man. She wasn't sure who he was, but she certainly couldn't afford to ask Osan Emir to go somewhere separately with her, not after Samuel Grey's remark earlier!

She approached the trio in time for her to catch Osan Emir still talking about that monster. These religious types! Did they think of nothing else! Well now she had a direction to funnel that holy fervour, so maybe it wasn't so bad.

"Greetings again, Osan Emir, Samuel Grey. I have important business to discuss, concerning our earlier conversation..." She let the sentence hang. On second thoughts, this friend of theirs seemed to be another whom she could recruit, and although he seemed laid back now, she sensed he would be able to handle himself in a fight, should it come to it.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

Hello again i presume that you where successful with your questions. We seem to have found another possible member, Abraham Collins here a monk of Fharlaghn. As for this beast we have received information that it is a dragon. Possibly a juvenile, there also seems to be a tree if some interesting properties with regards to potions but the people who told us would say no more than that. Did you get any other information that could be useful?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

So Samuel Grey thought this man a worthy companion. But that was irrelevant, she would await Osan Emir's judgement before agreeing to let some stranger take a quarter of the glory (and the gold).

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Osan Emir

"Indeed, my ascetic friend. Archbishop Bevalcqua sent us this way to help the Jethians with their current... predicament. We would appreciate you lending us any knowledge, and would be greatly indebted if you could lend us your fists, as well."

Osan Emir

Osan, a man of swift action, assumes the monk's consent and announces, "We have all the information we need, then? As soon as the four of us are ready to depart, we should head toward the forest and try to find evidence of the monster's direction."
    Last edited by Tortoise262; 2012-02-23 at 02:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Abraham

Sheperd Abraham smiles and nods. "I believe I will help you in this. The people of this town have been eminently welcoming, and I can hold my own in a fight. Do you know what we'll be pursuing? Also, do you know where we can find weapons and gear? I'm but lightly armed for this sort of thing."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

Osan answers the monk, "I believe that my colleague is better-prepared to describe the nature of the beast. Samuel?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

"To be honest i am not sure how far we should trust the information given to us by the traders, one described it as similar to a green dragon, but another drunker one said it was definitely a dragon. They where also trying to take some sort of wood than enhances potions out of the forest when attacked. I expect not everything is as clear cut as they expect us to think. Prehaps the elf had more luck procuring solid information?"

"As for a shopping trip i doubt there will be many blacksmiths open at this time of night"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

"This monster ought to be our main concern, however there are other parties involved here. I was approached by a man who gave me this dagger and informed me that there are clerics of Hextor involved, one of whom is dead."

"I had heard nothing of a dragon, nor this 'wood', but it doesn't surprise me. I don't think we know half of what is going on here. Nevertheless, we ought to at least try to deal with this monster, and then we can work out what sort of evil has taken over this place."

After she said this she turned to their new companion, introducing herself: "I am Ilthea Aenar, and if these two judge you worthy to join us then that is enough for me."

"Osan Emir, I would like your help on another problem that has arisen, if you would care to join me? There will be no need for us to go to another room though." She punctuated this last comment with a pointed look directed at Samuel Grey.