New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Game for Beginners IC

Samuel Grey

"You don't need to keep setting up jokes for me you know Aenar, and we shall still be here when you return but if we are not leaving tonight knowing sooner rather than later would be good as i would like to use up the spells granted to me, there are surely people who will be pleased to be healed in this town and may give us information in return.

However i believe moving quickly will give us the greatest chance of finding the beast quickly."

Thinking to himself. That knife was silver from the look of it i wonder if that is important

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[18]
    Knowledge religion check for undead harmed by silver that fit with the other clues
    (1d20+2)[3]
    Knowledge nature check for the same

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

Hextor's involvement had not occurred to him until then, so Osan closes his eyes in thought for a moment*. "Hmm... We should not underestimate the evil influence of Hextor on the world, nor ought we overlook the strength and number of his followers, especially in a foreign region." Osan's eyes open and catch Ilthea's. "What is the matter?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Detect Evil. Just to see if there are any significant evil auras in the area, more than I would expect to feel in a tavern on a busy night. (Clerics of evil deities emit stronger evil auras than normal evil people do.)
    Last edited by Tortoise262; 2012-02-24 at 02:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

"I would like you to examine this dagger." Ilthea said, as she guided Osan away. "The man who approached me attempted to solicit my aid in retrieving an object carried by the aforementioned cleric of Hextor. It is a box, but seems to have no link with this monster, or this 'wood' that Samuel Grey speaks of, though the cleric must have died of something. We must tread carefully, and certainly find that box, because it is either valuable or powerful, and I would like neither of those things in the hands of that 'man'."

"I would also like some of this kept between us, it is unnecessary to involve all these people to a greater extent than hired muscle. Their goal is to protect the people from this monster and we shall do so, but it requires greater finesse to take part in the battle that will come after, and another person who knows is just another tongue that could tell."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

Osan assents to the discretion, and accepts the dagger. Holding it in two upward palms, Osan inquires of the elf, "It is a dagger. What about it should I be examining?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive on Ilthea: (1d20+4)[11]
    Spot on the dagger: (1d20+1)[14]
    Detect evil focused on the dagger

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar.

"I am just simply not in the habit of taking daggers given to me my masked men in bars I have never visited before. Due to the circumstances, I'm rightly suspicious, and Osan Emir, I was hoping you might have some knowledge in these things, if it is indeed magical or cursed."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Ilthea
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a dagger made of silver, worth 22gp for it's craftsmanship. It holds no obvious secrets or arcane riddles.

Samuel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Undead harmed by silver are many, the most common being vampires, though you remember some shadowy undead of great power does too.

Osan
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dagger detects a dim aura of evil, and a few people, including one of the men sitting at the table with the halfling and elf, register as mildly evil.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

"I do sense a very dim evil about the dagger. I would say there are no evil incantations or curses cast upon it, but probably an evil person has handled it recently."
    Osan returns the dagger to Ilthea. "Come, then. If there's nothing else, we should make haste!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If Feo is coming, he'd better get up or someone ought to introduce him to us.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Well that was reassuring, and not too surprising that the man who handled it had been of evil intent. I'm definitely going to find out what that box is before I even think about handing it over. After all, he never shook her hand, only gave her a dagger and sent her on her way, so really, there was no deal.

"We should wait till morning before venturing out, and if your companion needs to prepare himself, then he has a few hours before we will need to head out."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Shepherd Abe

Abe nods in agreement. "I'm usually all for travel, but I'd like to spend the night and head out tomorrow. Also, there's a person who might be willing to join us. Another hand would be useful, no?" He waves Feo over. "This is Feo, I've known him for a couple years and just saw him for the first time in a year or so tonight. He was the one who sent me over to you folks."
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

"Well then im going to whatever passes for a hospital in this town for an hour then i will recharge my spells for an hour so i will be back here in two hours or so, unless i get held up."

Samuel leaves the tavern and looks for a hospital, upon finding one he converts all his spells into healing spells for the worst injured. then gets to work with regular healing on anyone needing it.
    Hopefully i can get some information maybe someone in here has encountered the beast, who knows maybe they will give me some supplies if i manage to save them

Spoiler
    Show
    4*Cure light wounds for (1 bonus, 1 domain)
    (4d8+2)[7][3][3][5](20)
    ignore cumulative couldnt think of any other way to do it
    3*Cure minor wounds for 1 hp each
    Heal check for anyone left
    (1d20+7)[20]

After an hour Samuel excuses himself and goes to the inn to recoup his spells in anticipation for the battle that was to come. Then sleeps until just before he was due to meet with the others
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2012-02-27 at 02:28 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo
    Feo looked up at the spot where the lady elf had been talking. He quickly scans the tavern for her and spots her talking with Abe’s group. Dang, I missed my chance to talk to her alone. Well at least she didn’t leave the tavern yet. He wasn’t about to walk up on an unknown paladin just yet. It not that he didn’t trust them, they were lawful good who didn’t trust them. It was most paladins and town officers scrutinized him, and if anything went wrong the blame always fell on him. He sat and watched the group talk until Abe waved him over. ”Good evening lady and gentlemen. As Abe has no doubt told you my name is Feo. I overheard you talking about a monster plaguing this town. As my usual form of getting information has failed, I have no information to bring. But I would be willing to offer my services where you would have them.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise262 View Post
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

come fight to save the world or destory it
    Mega Man Heal/Hurt Round 2

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Ah, that gambling elf,Ilthea mused,I wondered when he'd get involved.

"We've decided, foolishly perhaps, to find and deal with this beast. But not tonight. Tomorrow morning we'll gather, at let us say, two hours after sunrise at the gate
    [Not sure if I need to specify]and we will depart. Prepare yourself for then, and Samuel Grey can update you on the few rumours we've heard of the beast. I'm afraid we have had only a little more luck than you. One piece of advice though; be careful, we have surmised that this isn't all that it seems, so watch yourself, if you plan on joining us it might not be entirely plain sailing."

It seemed odd that the gambling, roguish elf had suddenly become so formal, but Ilthea was glad he was showing the correct level of dignity for one of her race.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

Osan lets out a long sigh. "Well, we could use all the help we can get. I suppose we can trust you if one so disciplined as the Shepherd vouches for you. On top of which, since you left your game, I assume you weren't winning. And if you weren't winning, I assume you're not a cheater." The ironclad clergyman motions toward the exit. "I won't tarry here any longer, and I'll urge you other non-elves to get to sleep soon." Osan Emir walks to the door to go back to the inn and turn in for the night.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo

Watching the paladin walking away he turns to and whispers to Abe. "I believe that I owe you a tale before when turn in tonight. And just so we’re clear I don’t care about monsters attacking the town. It’s just I would rather take my winning and be prepared to fight a know opponent, than win 50 gold and lose it to an unknown one. I’ve lost too many winnings because I’ve been caught unprepared." He sits at the table and starts spewing a tail of his adventure on the road here.
    Last edited by feo2; 2012-02-28 at 05:33 PM.
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Shepherd Abe

Abe waits and listens attentively to Feo's story. "I suppose I've got one of my own, but it can wait. I suppose it's pretty obvious how it ended, with me as a Shepherd. Tomorrow? I presume we'll have time enough for it on the road. In the meantime, I have some chores to do to earn my bed. Good night!" With that, Abe leaves to go do the duties he promised the inn and tavern-keepers.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea watches the others depart, then pausing only to bid a short farewell to Feo, talks to the innkeeper to find a room for her to meditate in.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming everyone retires for the night, you all sleep well and wake up in the morning. With the rising sun, the gates to the town are thrown open, and a bustling business is seen to.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

Waiting outside the Tavern Samuel muses to himself "At least my trip here has gone well so far: some information, likely futher jobs and a hospital full of people alread healed. Now where are the others, the longer we wait the less chance of being able to track the beast"

While thinking to himself he also keeps his eyes and ears open for anything suspicious

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[18]
    Spot check
    To try and read the lips of any nearby guards who are talking at this time
    (1d20+3)[6]
    listen check
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2012-03-02 at 02:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea left the inn and storde out onto the street, pulling her cloak around her to ward off the crisp morning air. As she approached the gate she noticed Samuel Grey standing there already

Why did it have to be him? She wondered, but putting on a smile she hailed the cleric as she approached.

"Greetings, friend. It looks like we're first. I hope we won't have to wait long. Do you have any idea how far we'll be travelling today?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

Returning Iltheas greeting "No unfortunately my attempts at finding information in the hospital were fruitless apparently there were no injuries caused by the beast, I guess we shall have to travel into the forest and try to find tracks considering that we expect it to be fairly large the tracks should be easy to tell apart from and standard tracks that we encounter."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Feo
    The light of the sun hit Feo’s face and snapped him out of trance. Morning already? He looked around the small room that he had rented out. Another great day in the life of an adventure. And today a new experience, traveling with a paladin. Better stay on my toes. He walks around the room to stretch out. ”Come on Curvo time to go” he grabs his things and heads out the door.

“Hey pointy ears the gate the other way”

”Ah Curvo I would be lost without you”

“Well you seem to find pubs with no problems”

”An Elf’s got to eat don’t he.”

“With the food you got last night and what’s in your pack you’ll be fine.”

Feo grumbles at the birds comment, turns and sets of to the gate he would meet every one at. As he gets close to the gate he sees Ilthea. Walking past her he whispers ”I’ll be back in a minute. Try not to get me any more noticed than is necessary.” He shifts he step as he’s walking and tries to blend with the crowd. Getting close enough to the guards that he can hear but far enough not to draw attention to himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m trying to see if I can learn anything from the guards
    Move Silently (1d20+7)[17]
    hide(1d20+7)[21]
    listen(1d20+5)[8]
    Last edited by feo2; 2012-03-01 at 04:53 PM.
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea was startled by the sneaky elf's approach, but as he passed on she forgot about what Samuel Grey had said and instead concocted a plan of her own. She rarely worked with others, but if that elf seemed to have a plan and she knew they needed more information.

She centred her mind (made easier by the nights meditations) and looked inside herself for the music.

She started to sing in her melodious, lilting voice:

"O'er the gold rimmed hills of Tarnair,
    Climbed fair Tulien, Daughter of Ilda...."

It lost something in translation, but this human tongue still gave a fair accounting of it she thought, as she continued to sing the haunting epic.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a distraction...

Skill check: Perform (sing) (1d20+6)[7]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Osam Emir

As Osan finishes his morning prayers, he makes the Sign of the Sun by touching his forehead with two fingers and drawing a circle connecting to his heart. Getting up from his knees, he walks to the inn's lobby and takes a light breakfast to go. Osan goes straight to the city gate to meet his party.

"Sorry if I'm a little late," the paladin says, "I was finishing my morning prayers." He looks at Samuel with a countenance that he hoped would come off as concerned but may have seemed just a tad condescending.
    Last edited by Tortoise262; 2012-03-01 at 05:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    i guess i should do a spot check as well
    (1d20+5)[6]
    Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!"
    Osan shouts.
    3.5 Sorcerer
    Feo lvl 1 rogue
    Drake

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

Turning to Osan
    "Good to hear, I'm not sure what Ilthea Aenar is doing apparently she knows the elf over there thats trying to sneak up to the guards. Did you meet him after i left last night?"
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2012-03-01 at 05:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Osan Emir

"Yes in fact,"
    Osan replies to the priest, "the elf introduced himself just after you left for the hospital. His name is Feo, and I am praying that his shadowy reputation will not be more liability than it's worth. However, the monk put in a good word for him. Speaking of Shepherd Collins..."
    Last edited by Tortoise262; 2012-03-01 at 05:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Shepherd Abraham

Abe bounds towards the group. "I'm here, I just needed to chop some firewood to pay for last night's meal. Now, is there a pack beast we could use? Or any of the general traveling gear, like rope, provisions, that sort of thing? I have my weapons and some sundries, but nothing beyond stuff to make camp. Do we need anything more heavy-duty?"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Samuel Grey

"I doubt we will be traveling far enough out of town to need provisions. As for a pack beast not unless you happen to have one."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

The sun peaks over the trees, and the marketplace bustles with activity.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ilthea Aenar

Noting that her singing isn't quite up to her usual standard she ceases, muttering that these humans wouldn't appreciate true talent.

She turns to the others and asks: "So shall we depart? We are after all all assembled, and we don't want to waste precious daylight."