New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Aye, I just abbreviated "Spain" for "the only christian lord in all the spains". All dem others got killed by Muslims, or eaten up by Castille.

I went on a big rant earlier, but there's no other Emperor titles that would be applicable in the game-span, despite people's attempts to add in Emperor of Spain, Emperor of Britannia, and Emperor of Scandinavia titles. Just doesn't work. HRE, ERE, or bust.

Unification of crown-titles would amount to, in-game, a decision that meant the law-changes in one kingdom were copied over to the other. An interesting mechanic, but not really a vital one. Besides what real unifications are in the time-period? Great Britain, the unification of Scotland and England, wasn't until 1701. The first Spaniard to call himself King of All Spains in any real sense was Charles, who owned basically everything, in 1516, and even then the laws of the country weren't truly unified.

Kalmar Union wasn't more than a personal union. The Croatian-Hungarian union had separate parliaments, so it doesn't count either. In truth, I don't think there was a single union in the time period that couldn't be represented by just holding multiple kingdom titles.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I'd agree were it not for the fact that holding multiple kingdoms makes everyone really angry at you.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

As well it should. Reloading a savegame and being admonished that the game is "pointless" because my vassal score exceeds the base difficulty would bug me more if I didn't know it was an outrageous lie.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

So my great king (Let's call him Bob "The almighty") who had above 20 in every stat, conquered half of the middle east, brought the true faith back to the realm, who rose to power from dukedom and ended his life laughing in the face of the holy Roman emperor with two vassals liberated from right under his grasp, just died.

His son was dead, as was his son.
    He is succeeded by his great-great-grandson who has no stats over 10, possesses no good trait, is a heretic, culturally dissimilar to the rest of his nation, and managed to pick up Kinslayer because he was the one who murdered Bob.
    My demesme is about 5 times too large, and I have no loyal vassals to hand it over to.
    This... this will be tricky.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-03-15 at 09:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    So my great king (Let's call him Bob "The almighty") who had above 20 in every stat, conquered half of the middle east, brought the true faith back to the realm, who rose to power from dukedom and ended his life laughing in the face of the holy Roman emperor with two vassals liberated from right under his grasp, just died.

His son was dead, as was his son.
    He is succeeded by his great-great-grandson who has no stats over 10, possesses no good trait, is a heretic, culturally dissimilar to the rest of his nation, and managed to pick up Kinslayer because he was the one who murdered Bob.
    My demesme is about 5 times too large, and I have no loyal vassals to hand it over to.
    This... this will be tricky.
    WATCH AS ALL YOUR HARD WORK COLLAPSES AND BURNS.

I'm still just managing to slowly claw my way up to most powerful Lord in France. Oh, and England got pwnd by a super-alliance: the Holy Roman Empire, who has conquered basically the lands that were IRL part of Aragon, the Byzantine Empire, which has gained Wallachia and Georgia and expanded towards Jerusalem, and lastly the King of the West, the King of Spain and France. All attacking the Queen of England, while she was also dealing with her most powerful lord, the Duke of Flanders, rebelling, oh, and also a whole pile of powerful lords on the Isle were trying to put one of their own on the throne too.

This is why I avoid excommunication.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I managed to hold 90% of my land (I had to give some of it up once all the remaining Muslims got involved) by using my vast amounts of dosh to overwhelm them one at a time.
    I have let many of the lords stay on their throne, and they shall rule from jail.
    In some cases I also preside over the lives of their spouses, or heirs.
    I am taking no chances, the kingdom will survive me, whether it wants to or not.

So how much of England is left?

7. - Top - End - #127

I managed to hold 90% of my land (I had to give some of it up once all the remaining Muslims got involved) by using my vast amounts of dosh to overwhelm them one at a time.
    I have let many of the lords stay on their throne, and they shall rule from jail.
    In some cases I also preside over the lives of their spouses, or heirs.
    I am taking no chances, the kingdom will survive me, whether it wants to or not.

So how much of England is left?
    Ooooh, bravo.

Well, her son Peter I de Normandie managed to pull things together. After all, all Excommunication does is force you to give up all your titles to the next in line. England owns, well, all of England, +Gwent, +Normandy, +most of Flanders, +Munster in Ireland, +Cumberland, +a tiny bit of the Holy Land, +Maine.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #128

Bump!

So, the Super-King of the West just added the Kingdom of England to his lengthy list of titles. Now he's King of Castille, Galicia, Leon, France, and England, and I'm not sure why he hasn't created the title of King of Portugal yet, I loaded up as him and he can...

Let's see, the New Roman Empire is solidifying, now has quite a number of sub-kings: King of Bohemia, King of Serbia, King of Croatia, but the King of Georgia title is held by the Emperor...

Oh, and the Ilkhanate went Orthodox and then the King of Hungary, who had gone Orthodox a generation before, pledged vassalitude, so now the Orthodox Mongol Khagan rules over an Orthodox Hungarian Khan who rules over a mix of Catholic Hungarians in Hungary, and a mix of Catholic and Orthodox, Russian and Hungarians in Russia. And Mauratania/Al-Andalus somehow is alternating between taking on the King of the West and the New Roman Empire, and winning. Now there's an isolated Emir of Leon, and German Catalonia is being slowly converted back to Islam...

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #129

I got into the nasty habit that whenever Rus declared war on me (the duke of kiev-volhynia-lesser poland-galich and king of Galacia despite owning no land in iberia) I would assassinate who-ever had the claim they were pressing.

Some angry Russian count sent an assassin after me and I died leaving behind a 1 year old son, my sole heir. Then Rus declared war again and I had to assassinate another claimant to my lands and once again got killed by the counter assassin.

However it turned out that the first king's wife was pregnant when he died so by the time my less than 2 year old king had been assassinated he had a new less than 1 year old brother to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Oh, and the Ilkhanate went Orthodox and then the King of Hungary, who had gone Orthodox a generation before, pledged vassalitude, so now the Orthodox Mongol Khagan rules over an Orthodox Hungarian Khan who rules over a mix of Catholic Hungarians in Hungary, and a mix of Catholic and Orthodox, Russian and Hungarians in Russia. And Mauratania/Al-Andalus somehow is alternating between taking on the King of the West and the New Roman Empire, and winning. Now there's an isolated Emir of Leon, and German Catalonia is being slowly converted back to Islam...
    I saw hungary and the golden hoard both go orthodox too, except this time the queen of hungary married the Khagan and I had to assassinate a lot of people to stop those realms merging.

Eventually the Khan of Hungary inherited the golden hoard, but only after Timur had reduced the hoard to a single county.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-04-04 at 02:10 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    (the duke of kiev-volhynia-lesser poland-galich and king of Galacia despite owning no land in iberia)

AND THEN ASSASSING HAPPINGS.

it's funny because Hungary --> Magyar tribes, and also Huns and stuff
    Just imagine that they're talking about the E. European Galicia not the Iberian Galicia.

I almost never use assassins, I play very conservative and stuff.

And I totally would have let that super-horde form, just to see what it would do!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

11. - Top - End - #131

Just imagine that they're talking about the E. European Galicia not the Iberian Galicia.
    That was the joke for why I went after only that one of the iberian claims I got by accident.

Spoiler
    Show

Aye, I just abbreviated "Spain" for "the only christian lord in all the spains". All dem others got killed by Muslims, or eaten up by Castille.
    You could always play my joke mod.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-04-04 at 05:09 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

12. - Top - End - #132

No De Jure Kingdoms of Monaco, Andorra, or Lichtenstein? Son, I am disappoint!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

13. - Top - End - #133

No De Jure Kingdoms of Monaco, Andorra, or Lichtenstein? Son, I am disappoint!
    I didn't post the barony level view, sorry.

You forgot San Marino and the Vatican.

14. - Top - End - #134

I didn't post the barony level view, sorry.

You forgot San Marino and the Vatican.
    Ah, I was thinking that since Montenegro is a de Jure kingdom from what I can tell there...

And the Vatican doesn't eve have a real city. I did forget San Marino though.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #135

Ah, I was thinking that since Montenegro is a de Jure kingdom from what I can tell there...

And the Vatican doesn't eve have a real city. I did forget San Marino though.
    Montenegro had a real king, Leichenstein, Andorra and Monaco are just principalities. It also actually shows up on maps and has a province in pretty much every paradox game.

And the Vatican doesn't eve have a real city.
    It has a military and a gift shop. That's good enough for me.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Any y'all interested in some multiplayer? It works smoothly, problem is getting it to work in the first place!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I just bought CKII, it was on sale for 18 dollars and I couldn't resist. However won't be able to play till next week when I get back to school. Sigh.

Any advice for a new player? I've played other paradox games enough to be proficient, though not great (EUIII and HoI3). Anything I should know before I dive in?
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Any advice for a new player? I've played other paradox games enough to be proficient, though not great (EUIII and HoI3). Anything I should know before I dive in?
    First of all, the game is about the character, not a "country" or "nation". Everything is personal and you also can't declare war willy nilly (CB system in EUIII: DW)

Good place to start is in Ireland. Everybody there is small and it gives you room to expand and create your little Irish domain.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

It has a military and a gift shop. That's good enough for me.
    It has more than the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the base game, too, which boils down to one building. Admittedly, it's a very pretty building, but even so.

So, who's looking forward to 1.05? After reading the two dev diaries that have been released so far, I can't continue my old games anymore. I just want the new features too much.
    Total War: 2126 - GM (IC OOC)

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    It has more than the Ecumenical Patriarchate in the base game, too, which boils down to one building. Admittedly, it's a very pretty building, but even so.
    At least those Ottoman minarettes are less off putting than Mussolini's touches to the vatican.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    So, who's looking forward to 1.05? After reading the two dev diaries that have been released so far, I can't continue my old games anymore. I just want the new features too much.
    Not sure. Crusades? Great as long as everyone who contributes gets a little land. But I hope the de jure changes system is modable. Normandy shouldn't be de jure England by 1166.

I'm okay with Bavaria and I wanted Lotharingia but don't really like the idea of aquitane.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

it was on sale for 18 dollars
    Where'd you get that deal, if I may be so bold? I'm a bit short on money but I want this quite a bit.
    I don't really have anything to put here.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cezyou View Post
    Where'd you get that deal, if I may be so bold? I'm a bit short on money but I want this quite a bit.
    Amazon direct download, it's a steam activatable copy, which is handy.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Amazon direct download, it's a steam activatable copy, which is handy.
    Ah, thank ye for this. I'll not forget it!

...cheesy incorrect Oldish English (I am getting in character, if thou (thee? I think it's 'thou' due to what I probably mistakenly know about objects and subjects and whatnot) must know) aside, it's a great opportunity that I really must thank you for.

And yes I digress a lot.

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by cezyou View Post
    I am getting in character, if thou (thee? I think it's 'thou' due to what I probably mistakenly know about objects and subjects and whatnot) must know)
    'thou' is the singular form of 'you' in archaic english. Now 'you' is singular and plural and 'you lot'/'all of you' has to be used. 'Ye' is 'you' in another dialect, unless its actually the runic letter thorn rather than a y in which case its just 'the' spelt differantly. Unless you're from southern America when you can just use y'all for everything.

'thee' is apparently the oblique form of thou, but since I'm rubbish at grammer I'll have to let wikipedia explain that.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Right, right, I knew what 'thou' means and that 'you' replaced it (and also that 'thou' was informal/less polite than you). I also knew that the thorn was replaced by 'th' with the advent of the printing press. I just wasn't sure if, after 'if' the object or subject pronoun was used, since English is odd and 'you' doesn't change like 'thou'.

but I'm from the cool part (hometown pride makes me say potentially offensive things) of the Middle Colonies, where we use 'yinz' (and a lot of other colloquialisms). (It'll totally take eternity to figure out where I'm from, right? : P)

Though I was under the impression 'ye' was the plural form of 'you'? Like the difference between 'ihr' and 'du/Sie' in German or 'vous' and 'tu'/polite 'vous' in French?

In grammar-unrelated news, I've got CKII downloading now! I can hardly wait for my EUIII-birthed strategies to fail me spectacularly.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Crusader Kings 2 tips:
    Don't be Lord Hinjo or Sean Bean, unless you want a dagger on your back. Be Lord Shojo, or be Uriel Septim VII (if ruling Holy Roman or Byzantine) or Daimyo Kubota (minus the sea monster) or Lannisters.
    Kinda remind me of Game of Thrones (back stabbing inbreeding families).
    Edit: I wonder what will happen if they decided to overhaul Muslim Rulers, especially Ottomans (More deadlier court and harem, starring plotting commoner bureaucrats).
    Last edited by t209; 2012-04-10 at 11:58 AM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Bah.

Bob the almighty was an honorable man, and led his kingdom to glory!

Not screwing anyone over, sticking to your right, and acting with honour usually result in much more well governed provinces.
    You won't expand much though.

Sidenote:
    Game of thrones/A song of ice and fire have nothing on the real world.
    GRRM at least made some effort to make his politics make sense, the real world did no such thing.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-04-11 at 07:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Sidenote:
    Game of thrones/A song of ice and fire have nothing on the real world.
    GRRM at least made some effort to make his politics make sense, the real world did no such thing.
    I can't wait for the ASoIaF mod to come out!

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I heard something about that mod yeah.

Do they have anything to show us yet? Or is it just some whispers in the corners of the forums?

30. - Top - End - #150

I heard something about that mod yeah.

Do they have anything to show us yet? Or is it just some whispers in the corners of the forums?
    They've been showing pictures of specific events and features. They're getting close to a working open beta, I think? The very most I'd give them to a public release is 2 months from now. I'd expect a release before that.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.