New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So, uh...apparently I'm not very good at this game. There's a million buttons and all of them plot to assassinate your wife for some dumb reason instead of doing something useful. Played as Georgia, managed to lose a bunch of Duchies from the dynasty due to a surplus of sons, then my child king turned Muslim and the Byzantines steamrolled me. My economy always only has enough money to hire mercenaries so as to not horribly lose wars I keep getting into. How do I anything?
    Is this your first paradox strategy title? If so you'll have to put a bit of time in to learn how to play.

A good starter spot is any of the Ireland counties/duchies. You don't have any major powers right next to you (for a little bit) and can get used to fighting small wars. It's a nice way to ease into the game, and it lets you do fun stuff later on when you get your feet under you, such as taking over scotland and england to form the British Empire.

As for getting more money, the best way to do that is to keep your vassals liking you, a high relationship value results in them giving you more money (and more troops). Also, when you're small, try to directly control as many of your counties as possible rather than making Counts, this can be done from the plot screen using the revoke plot and is far more productive than killing your wife (except for some situations of course, killing wives can be very helpful at times).
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god, Wales. Every time I try to drag one of their duchies out of the mud, something happens and everyone dies or gets diseased.

First attempt, my 65 year old starting duke (with no starting heirs) marries this super-talented 18-year-old Italian courtier (High teens in every stat, smattering of positive traits, a couple of Military Leader traits), with the hopes of producing an heir and having the child learn from it's mother.

2 months after their marriage, the Duke's brother has him arrowed in the face, swiftly killing all hopes of that. The Brother takes the title, marries someone altogether less amazing, then dies of old age 6 months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Is this your first paradox strategy title? If so you'll have to put a bit of time in to learn how to play.

A good starter spot is any of the Ireland counties/duchies. You don't have any major powers right next to you (for a little bit) and can get used to fighting small wars. It's a nice way to ease into the game, and it lets you do fun stuff later on when you get your feet under you, such as taking over scotland and england to form the British Empire.

As for getting more money, the best way to do that is to keep your vassals liking you, a high relationship value results in them giving you more money (and more troops). Also, when you're small, try to directly control as many of your counties as possible rather than making Counts, this can be done from the plot screen using the revoke plot and is far more productive than killing your wife (except for some situations of course, killing wives can be very helpful at times).
    Awesome, I think I'll give the ol' Ire Land a spin then. Should I bother with upgrading buildings at all, or focus on bribing people and mercs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

1. Money buildings - upgrade them up to the 2nd level (the 3rd wont pay for itself for ~200years or so), upgrade to the max only in your capital (IF you send the steward to increase the taxes)
    2. Army buildings - upgrade as much as you can.

In general keep 1-2k in cash to bribe when necessary or for some mercs, but upgrade the buildings as much as possible. They WILL pay off. At late game there are two ways to have a good army
    1. Be a blob - in other words as big as HRE for example
    2. Have good infrastructure - a lot of good buildings will compensate for the lack of land

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

It all depends on the situation. If there is someone who I cannot afford rebelling, I'll bribe him, but only when I already have twice the bribe cost.
    Generally, I'll buy a building once I have 2x the cost of the building in the treasury.

That gives me a not-unreasonable amount of money for mercs when needed.

I personally don't like getting overambitious, but others have different playstyles. I might stay at the Duke level of hundreds of years before making a power-play. My Burgundy game, I became one of the most powerful women in France, with family-members owning basically all of eastern France, however I had the small flaw of being loyal to the rightful King. So when the d'Aquitaine's got the throne, I opposed them, then when other smaller Capetians got the throne I opposed them, then when the Jimenez united all of Christian Hispania and France, I opposed them, in the end totally crippling my family due to revolts that totally looked like they were going to succeed. The fact that my 2 neighbouring kinsmen, the Duchess of Orleans and the Duke of Champagne, decided that we should have a 3-way battle over the titles, didn't help. In the end, Orleans conquered Champagne, and then I barely fought them off. Then they lost the title due to marriage. Oh well.

I think I went from owning 4 duchies, to owning 3 provinces in that last 70, 80 years. It was still a very interesting game though!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. - Top - End - #186

How do I give someone a Barony but not the whole County? My thing is complaining that as a Duke I can't hold a Barony.

Also, my Casus Bellis have run out now that I have the entire Duchy of Munster. How do I get more?
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-07-15 at 12:08 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

How do I give someone a Barony but not the whole County? My thing is complaining that as a Duke I can't hold a Barony.

Also, my Casus Bellis have run out now that I have the entire Duchy of Munster. How do I get more?
    If you right click on a city or church you diredtly hold you get the option of creating a new baron/mayor/bishop to hold it.

You can send one of your councilmen on a 'fabricate claim' mission. This is found in the council screen and gives you a chance to generate a claim in the county you send him to. The chance is based on how high their stat is. Another way is to get claim via marriage that you then can push via war.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you want I can make a video guide for the first 20-25 years of playing Munster (in other words the time needed to form and occupy all of Ireland counties)

But honestly, after you take ireland things get a bit boring, you just forge and wait for England and Scotland to fall in a crisis.
    Last edited by Hajutze; 2012-07-15 at 01:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This game is great... got it on the steam sale a couple of days ago and just started playing it. Per advice on here I played an Irish character (the Count of Desmond). My original character had grand plans, and was attempting to make claim on Ormond when he was murdered by his eldest son Tadg... who happened to also be his spymaster. Unfortunately the murder became public knowledge, turning most of the court against me and losing a lot of the stability I felt I had previously. The situation was not helped by being excommunicated on the word of the earl of Ormond and then being invaded by the King of England! He deposed Earl Tadg and installed his 10 year old son as ruler... with Tadg as Regent. This can't possibly end well...

Question for the people who know this game well: I want to play it as a sort of background thing if possible: what is the best way to go about this? I've found the windowed mode, and am wondering about how many messages I should have as autopause and what speed to run the game on?
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

I usually play at the 4th speed with a lot of pausing when I'm in war. But I'd recommend 3 for you until you get used to it.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    If you right click on a city or church you diredtly hold you get the option of creating a new baron/mayor/bishop to hold it.

You can send one of your councilmen on a 'fabricate claim' mission. This is found in the council screen and gives you a chance to generate a claim in the county you send him to. The chance is based on how high their stat is. Another way is to get claim via marriage that you then can push via war.
    It tells me I can only create a new barony in a minor barony or something like that. I've never seen that button actually light up. Do I need to build a new keep first?

Also I've been trying the marriage thing, but nobody wants to marry their useful and nearby people to me. The best I could do was betrothing my third son to the granddaughter of the Duke of that one big region in Ireland. Oh and I got one of my nephews to marry a Norman princess but she doesn't have a claim on anything and all it did was draw me into the War of English Succession.

Also, my courtiers all have absolutely terrible stats. The women I keep importing have amazing stats, but they're not allowed to sit on the council, I guess.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-07-15 at 06:29 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quite honestly I have no idea what you're talking about and I'm quite good at the game ... can you provide a screenshot (about the creating vassals problem)

13. - Top - End - #193

Ah, you need to give away a whole county. You're probably over the demesne limit, right?

Find the character, either a direct vassal or in your court, you want to give the county. Go to their diplomacy screen, and click the option (I can't remember the exact words) that is along the lines of "give landed title". Then they'll have a bunch of options, click "county of blahdeblah", and give'em the title.

If the province in question is, I believe, Waterford, then the problem is that the "Capital" of the province is a City, and I don't think there's space to build a barony there. In that case, do the same as above but remember that the character you're giving the title to will be Lord Mayor, not a barony, and thus his successor will be elected.

You cannot randomly generate a character to rule there if the barony/city/bishopric in question is the "capital" of the province. You can, however, if you own the "capital" AND a second holding in the province, switch which is considered the "capital" holding of that province, iirc.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post

You cannot randomly generate a character to rule there if the barony/city/bishopric in question is the "capital" of the province. You can, however, if you own the "capital" AND a second holding in the province, switch which is considered the "capital" holding of that province, iirc.
    wait, you can do that? That's incredibly useful to know

And with respect to flockerdart's questions, yeah you'll have to gove up counties if you have too many. Also, don't worry of your council's stats are low, they'll still get you claims it'll just take a bit longer.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-07-15 at 08:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Conquiring Spain "Behind the scenes"

I started as the biggest muslim duke in Spain and swore fealty to the king of Castille. He didn't like me a lot, cuz of me being sunni and all but a bribe here and there calmed him a bit. I helped him beat his brothers in Galicia and Leon and unite the North-western Iberia.

I served house Jimena for a couple of generations until house de Barcelona took over. The queen decided to marry the king of France so I decided to start an independence war ... because the queen herself had only 1 county and I had the rest of the realm xD. After I won I swore fealty to the sultan of Andalusia.

I helped him conquer almost all Spain (except 2 douchies) and he created Hispania. Funny thing is that except Barcelona everything else in Hispania is directly under my rule.

The pros of playing as muslim under christian liege are:
    - They wont call crusade against you
    - If they call Jihad against you (because the lands are technically under catholic rule) you can just call a war to dispose the liege, which I actually had to do 1-2 times due to zealous kings/queens, and the Jihad will be over because now the land is under a muslim rule
    - You have casus belli against all the other vassals so you can expand freely
    - After you "eat up" a king you can call a war for independence and swear fealty to his neighbour and repeat the process
    - They will attack your liege rarely because the blob is expanding quickly. Castille + Leon + Galicia + 1-2 muslim douchies is something quite strong in that area

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Ah, you need to give away a whole county. You're probably over the demesne limit, right?
    No, my Demesne was 2/9. 1, now that I had to give away Waterford. So I do have to build a keep, eh?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #197

No, my Demesne was 2/9. 1, now that I had to give away Waterford. So I do have to build a keep, eh?
    You don't have to build a keep if there's already one there. You just have to imprison and banish the holder of that castle for a moderate tyranny penalty.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

18. - Top - End - #198

If you have a duke title, I'd just give Waterford to a third son for now.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

19. - Top - End - #199

Why not my first son? That way I get it back once my guy dies.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #200

Thus merely delaying the problem.

Vassal republics give more money than regular vassals as long as they don't hate you too much. There's really no point in having that big a demesne, the prestige is the same if its held by a vassal or by you personally. 'Own as much land as possible' isn't actually the goal of the game, which is just to get as much points as possible (land only gives a lot of points over long periods of time, joining ally's wars is much more effective) or do fulfill some personal goal you've decided yourself.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-07-16 at 01:08 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

21. - Top - End - #201

Mmm, this COULD work, but once you run out of adult heirs to give it too, you lose control of who the mayor is. If your heir dies before you do, you lose control of who the mayor is. At that point, you just have to play politics with whoever the mayor might be at the moment.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

My own regent just tried, and failed, to kill me five times.

I can't help but wonder who had the bright idea of putting me in to the care of the most untrustworthy man in the entirety of Ireland, a man who is known to despise me.

Thankfully he's in prison now. After failing to get me to fall off the roof, killed by bandits, toppling from a cliff, and narrowly missing me with a falling guard he decided to go after me with a dagger while shouting "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!".

I was mildly amused.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

For all those who like CK2 and don't have Europa Universalis 3 yet (or are missing some of the expansions) there's a steam sale for the complete pack for 7 dollars. EU3 is an amazing game that I've put upwards of 250 hours into. If you like CK2 and want another paradox game in the same vein, but focused a bit more on combat and strategy and a little less on marriage an politics, EU3 will scratch that itch.

24. - Top - End - #204

So, my starting Duke finally died at 71 years old. His son, the new Duke, is now 50. Ormond went to my second son for some reason though. I successfully fabricated a claim and then conquered the little noodly county to the north (Leister?) but before I could give it to my son, the duke died and now some random guy has it, so I'll probably need to revoke it. Fortunately, it let me usurp another Duke title, so now I have another province to conquer before needing to fabricate more claims. Also I married a bunch of European princesses and have weak claims on a couple of Spanish and HRE provinces that I will probably never press.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

25. - Top - End - #205

So, my starting Duke finally died at 71 years old. His son, the new Duke, is now 50. Ormond went to my second son for some reason though.
    Gavelkind.

I successfully fabricated a claim and then conquered the little noodly county to the north (Leister?) but before I could give it to my son, the duke died and now some random guy has it, so I'll probably need to revoke it.
    No need to revoke it really. When your king of Ireland you'll want somebody to give the duchy of Leinster to. Its better to have some random guy as a vassal then a brother with a claim on your title.

You can own every county in Ireland in your personal demesne. But that requires you to get your son a stewardship education when really you want a diplomatic one. Its just too much hassle, you won't need the money after you've got 5 fully upgraded counties and if you're diplomacy is high enough you can get away with taxing feudal vassals anyway.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Wales is, after a few attempts, finally a kingdom of it's own. England is currently in 5 parts, Scotland is in 6, and Ireland hasn't changed at all in the last 50 years.

The First King of Wales managed to live long enough to choose a more reasonable Succession law (i.e. Not Gavelkind), but one of the new King's (Actually the first King's Grandson, due to Hilarity involving banishment and assassinations) Great Uncles has claimed independence with his surviving brother supporting him.

I have no idea where to go after dealing with this, though. I've got De Jure claims to a couple of territories in South England, which I'm leery of taking due to the utter fustercluck that it currently is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    I have no idea where to go after dealing with this, though. I've got De Jure claims to a couple of territories in South England, which I'm leery of taking due to the utter fustercluck that it currently is.
    Wouldn't that make it easier? I'd rather fight 1-2 dukes than the entire might of the Kingdom of England.

28. - Top - End - #208

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    No need to revoke it really. When your king of Ireland you'll want somebody to give the duchy of Leinster to. Its better to have some random guy as a vassal then a brother with a claim on your title.

You can own every county in Ireland in your personal demesne. But that requires you to get your son a stewardship education when really you want a diplomatic one. Its just too much hassle, you won't need the money after you've got 5 fully upgraded counties and if you're diplomacy is high enough you can get away with taxing feudal vassals anyway.
    Well, the guy who owned Leinster revolted anyway. Then before I could win the war, he died, his son revolted and I kicked him out. Then it revolted for the third time with a new ruler who wants both of my duchies for himself.

On the plus side I've finally got a big enough domain to make more than a pittance in gold (+3.5 per turn, woo!) and once I fake a claim on another Duchy, I can create the Kingdom of Ireland, and hopefully kick the Scots out of it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

A surprising number of people seem to play as Ireland. I know why I chose to play it, I'm curious as to other people's reasons though.

My current kingdom is progressing well. The entirety of Ireland is mine, as are most of the counties, and it looks like my next generation will be inheriting a fairly large Italian duchy. I'd try for higher but there never seem to be any princess around.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    A surprising number of people seem to play as Ireland. I know why I chose to play it, I'm curious as to other people's reasons though.
    Well it is the one campaign that is recommended officially as the closest thing to a tutorial they have. It is supposed to be the easiest one.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"