New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    (I don't price compare games, I find it largely pointless)
    Even if you do price compare, SW:TOR comes out pretty favorably. If you're so inclined as to view SW:TOR as a single-player game (with drop-in-drop-out co-op and nice helping of optional dedicated co-op missions, of course), it's actually more or less eight such games in one, and extremely good ones too. Eight actual single-player games will run you $400-480 new, which means that leveling one of each class in SW:TOR is the better deal unless it takes more than ~2.5 years total for you to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Well the glorious thing about ToR is something that gets destroyed or lessened if it is moved to single player. The story has an overall theme of 'shades of grey' for the Empire, but each class and each way the player goes through it gives a little more.

Take the Inquisitor. Dark side is about a perpetuating cycle of betrayal. Light side about changing the system from the inside. Neutral hits a lot on what it truly means to be free. Now take all of this, mix in more people that have had entirely different stories and character developments, and the PCs start actually interacting. The rest of your party can be stunned by what YOU do or say (for our guild, remember the first time we ran through the robot uprising FP?) that feels completely in character for your toon.

It's brilliant. It ties in each player while having different stories, and it gives players ownership of their own character's personality in a world where everyone else has it too.
    Something similar happened when I was running Cademimu with some guildies. We got to the token LS/DS choice in that one and found out that one of us (not me) was a Light-Sider after he won the roll. So I gave a little party-in-character schpiel about how we're fighting a war so what reason could he possibly have had for not wanting to deal a crippling blow to the Republic Navy?
    ...Of course, his response was "I guess I should actually start reading those then lol," but what're you going to do?

------------------------------------------

That reminds me, I came up with a fun little posting game to play on this thread: "You know you're a [class or advanced] when..." Please spoiler any story-related ones, for obvious reasons.

You know you're an Inquisitor when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ..."You are wise for your years" is considered a [Flirt] line.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    You may enjoy the endgame treadmill, but I'm finding it tedious to say the least, and on 5/15, I fully expect to step off.
    I don't enjoy the endgame treadmill. That's why I create alts and why I say that this particular game incentivises creating alts through the in-bound Legacy system.

The only treadmill I get on is the space missions on my active character, which I do as my "daily maintenance" to chill out after work.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hit [Force Persuade] and [Shock] liberally because it's always comedy gold
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #484
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

So, with 1.2 hitting tomorrow, is anyone interested in doing Lost Island (Hard Mode if possible) on Friday or the weekend?

Note: I have no idea if I'm geared well enough to do HM Lost Island (or if people in general are). I'm guessing based on the drops that it will be somewhat harder than the existing HM FPs.

Hopefully 1.2 will bring enough people in that a PuG or semi-PuG ops run sometime this weekend is also possible.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salur View Post
    So, with 1.2 hitting tomorrow, is anyone interested in doing Lost Island (Hard Mode if possible) on Friday or the weekend?

Note: I have no idea if I'm geared well enough to do HM Lost Island (or if people in general are). I'm guessing based on the drops that it will be somewhat harder than the existing HM FPs.

Hopefully 1.2 will bring enough people in that a PuG or semi-PuG ops run sometime this weekend is also possible.
    From what I heard at PAX, the best guilds in SWTOR spent six hours straight knocking their heads on the first boss with no success. They're probably wearing full Rakata by now, so...

6. - Top - End - #486
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    From what I heard at PAX, the best guilds in SWTOR spent six hours straight knocking their heads on the first boss with no success. They're probably wearing full Rakata by now, so...
    Was that Lost Island, or Explosive Conflict? I know the new Op is going to be harder (as in, hardmode EC = NiM EV or KP, apparently), and I have absolutely no notion of doing that (or really any Op) on Hardmode, but I wouldn't think that the new FP would be all that different from the previous ones.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Something similar happened when I was running Cademimu with some guildies. We got to the token LS/DS choice in that one and found out that one of us (not me) was a Light-Sider after he won the roll. So I gave a little party-in-character schpiel about how we're fighting a war so what reason could he possibly have had for not wanting to deal a crippling blow to the Republic Navy?
    ...Of course, his response was "I guess I should actually start reading those then lol," but what're you going to do?
    It should be pointed out that at the level-appropriate point in the game to be running Cademimu, the Treaty of Coruscant still holds. So no, you aren't fighting a war.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    It should be pointed out that at the level-appropriate point in the game to be running Cademimu, the Treaty of Coruscant still holds. So no, you aren't fighting a war.
    They were about to fight a war, a crippling pre-emptive blow the Republic Navy is still a somewhat tactically sound manouver.

I'd mention a historical precedant, but it's not all that relevant really.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Personally, most of my characters would not have launched the missile strike;

Hessar would have considered it dishonorable
    Terasa (LS Agent) would have needed orders to do it
    Jerik (LS BH) wasn't getting paid to start a war
    Ashtra (DS Inquisitor) didn't need the attention on her from firing the opening shots of the war.

I'd certainly be up for a try at Lost Island, though. It might even drop the columi main hand, which is practically the only comlumi piece I don't have yet.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-04-11 at 03:15 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Personally, most of my characters would not have launched the missile strike;

Terasa (LS Agent) would have needed orders to do it
    Jerik (LS BH) wasn't getting paid to start a war
    Ashtra (DS Inquisitor) didn't need the attention on her from firing the opening shots of the war.

I'd certainly be up for a try at Lost Island, though. It might even drop the columi main hand, which is practically the only comlumi piece I don't have yet.
    Muci was jamming the launch button as fast as she could (Neutral Inquisitor). Deniable act with the wonderful screen of terrorist activity in the midst of chaos? You can brag about it later most likely? Knowing each ship gone is one less shooting at the empire later? FREE EXPLOSIONS?!

Note that many Inquisitors have a... let's say poor track record on having ships not explode. Proper response by the Inquisitor if they were called out on doing it: "Well it *was* kind of funny"
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-04-11 at 03:37 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

11. - Top - End - #491

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Muci was jamming the launch button as fast as she could (Neutral Inquisitor). Deniable act with the wonderful screen of terrorist activity in the midst of chaos? You can brag about it later most likely? Knowing each ship gone is one less shooting at the empire later? FREE EXPLOSIONS?!

Note that many Inquisitors have a... let's say poor track record on having ships not explode. Proper response by the Inquisitor if they were called out on doing it: "Well it *was* kind of funny"
    Remember a few pages back when I said I was considering making a Machinma.
    Involving Llama's with Hats episode 2 as the voice track, but re-recorded to say 'star ship' instead of 'cruise liner' ??
    Lets just say you're giving me deeper suggestion to get this thing done.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salur View Post
    Was that Lost Island, or Explosive Conflict? I know the new Op is going to be harder (as in, hardmode EC = NiM EV or KP, apparently), and I have absolutely no notion of doing that (or really any Op) on Hardmode, but I wouldn't think that the new FP would be all that different from the previous ones.
    Good point. I think the general trend was to make PvE a lot harder, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

NiM EV and KP are pretty much cake walks except for Bonethrasher and Soa.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Even if you do price compare, SW:TOR comes out pretty favorably. If you're so inclined as to view SW:TOR as a single-player game (with drop-in-drop-out co-op and nice helping of optional dedicated co-op missions, of course), it's actually more or less eight such games in one, and extremely good ones too. Eight actual single-player games will run you $400-480 new, which means that leveling one of each class in SW:TOR is the better deal unless it takes more than ~2.5 years total for you to do so.

------------------------------------------

That reminds me, I came up with a fun little posting game to play on this thread: "You know you're a [class or advanced] when..." Please spoiler any story-related ones, for obvious reasons.

Spoiler
    Show
    I starred those I haven't actually done

You know you're a bounty hunter when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You request that the song made to celebrate your death is "something you can dance to".

*You know you're a sith warrior when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your response to "Even a master force user can't beat these odds" is "I'm going to kill you and eat you all raw!"

You know you're a juggernaut when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    a cave collapses on you and not only do you survive, but you're offered a high-level government job.

*You know you're a sith warrior when...
    Spoiler
    Show
    You kill someone because the shuttle ride bored you.

You know you're a juggernaut when you kill three enemies in PVP before you need to use Endure Pain. (This one was mostly luck but i thought it was pretty cool)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #494

So how much damage to the server population do you think this 1.2 bait and switch will actually do?

Keep in mind i don' want to start and argument over right and wrong ways of handling the situation or any of that.

Just wondering if you know any people who are leaving the game over it?

Personally i know maybe 3 or 4 of the regulars i play with have, witch doesn't sound like much but i only have like 8 people i regularly play with.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    So how much damage to the server population do you think this 1.2 bait and switch will actually do?

Keep in mind i don' want to start and argument over right and wrong ways of handling the situation or any of that.

Just wondering if you know any people who are leaving the game over it?

Personally i know maybe 3 or 4 of the regulars i play with have, witch doesn't sound like much but i only have like 8 people i regularly play with.
    When i was on, the few people i talked to on Tython were really looking forward to the patch - I don't think anybody will care if it's been delayed

*goes to look up what you mean by bait-and-switch*

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #496

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    *goes to look up what you mean by bait-and-switch*
    Sorry, it just seems to be a popular term that is being thrown around for this issue.

A lot of PvP focused players were tempted back to the game with the assumption that rated warzones would be released in 1.2. Then a few hours before the patch goes live BW make an official announcement that the rated warzones will not be included in this patch.

It does have the hall marks of a "bait and switch".

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, they're doing it for quality reasons. I suspect something game breaking or the like was found and they don't have time to fix it or something like that.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, it just seems to be a popular term that is being thrown around for this issue.

A lot of PvP focused players were tempted back to the game with the assumption that rated warzones would be released in 1.2. Then a few hours before the patch goes live BW make an official announcement that the rated warzones will not be included in this patch.

It does have the hall marks of a "bait and switch".
    The game's issues, as far as i can tell, have little to do with pvp. Sure, the fact they aren't rated is probably annoying to pvp focused players, but I'd say the biggest issue for TOR is the lack of connection in the community - it IS an MMO, after all, so it's gonna need a strong community if it's going to survive. At the moment, though, TOR plays like a single player game - there's little reason to group up at the moment and not very many ways to do so. If nothing else it shouldn't take an hour to group up for one run of the Black Talon.

Extended Sig

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm still a little unclear as to precisely when or why it is that the war starts again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All through Chapter I (i.e.- through Alderaan), everything is centered around either strategic maneuvering or fighting through proxies (see: Alderaanian noble houses). I mean, sure, occasionally you get sent out after actual enemy troops, but that's all small-scale deniable stuff.

Then suddenly you get to Taris (Imperial)/Balmorra (Republic) and the two sides are attacking each other openly, leaving you wondering "when did this start happening?"
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-04-12 at 06:06 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm still a little unclear as to precisely when or why it is that the war starts again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All through Chapter I (i.e.- through Alderaan), everything is centered around either strategic maneuvering or fighting through proxies (see: Alderaanian noble houses). I mean, sure, occasionally you get sent out after actual enemy troops, but that's all small-scale deniable stuff.

Then suddenly you get to Taris (Imperial)/Balmorra (Republic) and the two sides are attacking each other openly, leaving you wondering "when did this start happening?"
    Not sure if the other classes touch on it at all, but the point where open war starts back up is (Trooper spoilers)
    Spoiler
    Show
    after you destroy the Gauntlet superweapon at the Act II climax. It even puts "The Treaty of Coruscant is broken" in the initial character login text.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Story wise...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sith Warrior: End of Chapter 2 (You and Baras Started it)
    Imperial Agent: Beginning of Chapter 3
    Everyone Else (Haven't gotten far enough to be sure): Before Correlia

Everything prior to the actual declaration of war is just brushfires.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

In the SW storyline...
    Spoiler
    Show
    the dark council declares war after you kill several important people for Baras
    In Balmorra's case (at least on the imperial side) the republic acted through proxy and made it appear that the men they were sending to Balmorra were deserters.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #503

Your pitiful notions of honor are no match for the power of the Dark Side.

Jerik (LS BH) wasn't getting paid to start a war.
    More targets to destroy later is better for the mercenary business.

Not everyone here goes to a lot of other boards (I go to only a couple), so that may be why people don't understand the context.

Eh... I can understand why they'd be upset, but if it's not working right, it's probably better they delay it rather than release something they know is broken. They'd be taken to task either way, but if I were in their position, I'd rather be beat up over delaying something as opposed to being beat up over releasing something that "screwed up my ratings/rewards, I demand a 7-day roll-back and a foot massage or I'll choke myself!!!!!!"

It's interspersed in all the stories. The Trooper, Sith Warrior, and Agent are probably the most direct participants, as their actions deliberately break the treaty.

Additionally, in the Empire's Balmorra planet story, it's clear that the Republic is breaking the treaty during the assault on Balmorra Arms, though it ends up being covered up... same with the Empire's presence on Coruscant.
    Last edited by GungHo; 2012-04-12 at 08:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    Your pitiful notions of honor are no match for the power of the Dark Side.
    A sneak attack proves only that you are too weak to face your enemies in open combat.
    Swoop Falcon

25. - Top - End - #505

Story wise...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sith Warrior: End of Chapter 2 (You and Baras Started it)
    Imperial Agent: Beginning of Chapter 3
    Everyone Else (Haven't gotten far enough to be sure): Before Correlia

Everything prior to the actual declaration of war is just brushfires.
    As far as I can tell the declarations were just posturing and formality. It starts at the Foundry.

minor details:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Republic get the standard commando action to rescue their VIP, not quite WAAAAAR. At the beginning of boarding party, you can bring up the treaty with Malak. He pretty well goes 'eh, it's about to break anyway'.

You then destroy a Republic fleet in Republic space in order to murder someone in the custody of the Republic. That's pretty well war right there.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506

A sneak attack proves only that you are too weak to face your enemies in open combat.
    Well, nanny nanny boo boo to you too, Signed Darth Picayune.

27. - Top - End - #507

Relevant quote: "I always love killing assassins. They look so surprised."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #508

RangerGuy

Ugh, could someone help me out? I got the week-long trial invite, but it ran out today and I trying to start up a subscription. I'm having a weirdly hard time figuring out how.

Will I have to buy a digital download in the origin store?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Ugh, could someone help me out? I got the week-long trial invite, but it ran out today and I trying to start up a subscription. I'm having a weirdly hard time figuring out how.

Yes, your trial account doesn't waive the requirement to buy the game client.

30. - Top - End - #510

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post

ToR is only available digitally from Origin, or you can buy it at a brick-and-mortar store if you don't want to let Origin on your comp. Since I got mine in the mail as a preorder, I entered the key in my 'account' segment on ToR. You're going to either need a game card or active credit card as well (the latter, you can just cancel your subscription before your 30 days are up and it won't be charged).

Then you must sacrifice a goat to Lucasarts and find the jade monkey before the next full moon.
    Spoiler
    Show