New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Someone did this back in the everquest days, but it was never given any serious consideration. I remember it being a good read though. There was an article about the study in Wired magazine if memory serves me correctly.
    I believe it was often pointed out that the original Runescape economy often modeled economic theory much better than real life actually did, but almost all the work there was done by armchair economists, not real academics.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #662
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since Squark's post seems to be invisible...
    "but almost all the work there was done by armchair economists, not real academics"
    Society seems to give decent weight to both types of opinion. However, armchair economist + game reference probably was the tiping point.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    You get your legacy after act 1, what level is it at? You might be surprised.
    I'm legacy level 4 right now. The official announcement of letting people qualify for the free month via legacy level included examples of what kind of character level spreads would have enough XP between them to have legacy level 6. For one character, it was "level 50 and has spent some time doing endgame."

Quote Originally Posted by Salur View Post
    I really do think an academic examination of MMO economies would be fascinating to read, though. Especially given how the developers could change the world inputs and supply to an extant not possible in the real world.
    CCP has an actual economist on payroll to analyze EVE Online's economy and prepare detailed reports on it. Presumably you can find the reports somewhere on the game's website.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Bugbear in the Playground

In more important news, the GTN for both factions (and the currently dead neutral GTN) will be merged (at some point "soon", maybe 1.3?) into one big neutral GTN system, which I think I'm a fan of. It makes it harder to corner the market on a particular good, but I'd rather have the increased selection and customer base.
    I like the idea as well. It also makes the on-ship GTN a better buy, as it's a neutral market.

Yes, there are more people who can undercut, there are also more people who can snipe the undercut product and relist it at the inflated price. Larger market means more people doing so. The only people who really benefit in such an environment are the sellers. The buyers get screwed. A lot.
    I hear what you're saying, but it also means that I have a better chance of finding the things I want in the first place. On servers with large faction imbalances, the GTNs are dead for the folks who roled on the less populated side (usually Republic). Given that drops and quest rewards aren't always sufficient, being able to fall back to the GTN is nice.

Of course, my personal response to the GTN dearth is really to rely on my crafting alts. Right now, I'm finding my Artifice and Cybertech alts to be very useful. I can afford to buy the odd barrel once I'm swimming in oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    At least ToR doesn't have an Auctioneer style add-on. Man that thing was terribly easy to abuse to drive up prices.
    Auctioneer was a crutch and didn't let you do anything you couldn't do with a calculator or Excel. Probably its biggest help was that it broke up stacks for you and let you post large sales via macro, which was great on a Sunday afternoon after you'd gathered things all weekend and needed to get off to go eat dinner and watch 60 Minutes.

The average price tool was crap because, like you said in a later post, it didn't factor out outliers.

It was also good at finding the lowest per item price on the market when I actually needed to buy materials. SWTOR already gives you the per item price... that was actually one of the few good ideas they had for their GTN. Sure, I could do it in my head or with a calculator, but it's nice just being able to hover your cursor over the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    As someone who has just started one, any tips?
    If you're going to solo, consider putting your initial talents into cover screen (tier 1) and balistic dampers (tier 2). It seems counter-intuitive to put things into defensive talents, but early on you'll get knocked out of cover often and Kaliyo isn't good at holding aggro. You can also toggle in and out of cover to build your defenses, which is nice. You can respec out of cover screen later.

If you're not, then don't bother with the defensive talents and go for Marksmanship and Steady Shots. Marksmanship will improve your performance against bosses. Steady Shots will improve your overall DPS.

Don't bother with Heavy Shot or Demarcation. The knockback and slow seems nice, but it really doesn't do a lot for you no matter whether you're soloing or grouping, since crowd control doesn't usually do anything against bosses and those are the people that will tear you up when they're on top of you. Heavy Shot will really piss off your Tank if you're grouping. No one likes knockback.

That should get you through level 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts about the current marauder/sentinel rage going around?
    I think people will discover what everyone else who actually used one for awhile figured out. They're more fragile than Inquisitors/Sages or Assassins/Shadows and they have only one viable spec. The only thing that is possibly more vulnerable than a Carnage/Combat Sentinel is a Sniper/Gunslinger that doesn't know how to use hard cover.

Someone did this back in the everquest days, but it was never given any serious consideration. I remember it being a good read though. There was an article about the study in Wired magazine if memory serves me correctly.
    It wasn't an academic/professional study and honestly "back in the Everquest days" there were very few examples of true online economies. Nowadays, that's not true and it might be worth someone's time, especially if a game ever comes along that trades currency and commodities for real money. I imagine the biggest hurdle for viewing it as a real economy is that everything is owned by the software vendor. If real ownership is ever passed along, though, and the vendor supports a true market, then that view would change immediately. There are some very real legal consequences for any one ever attempting to do so, however, so that may not happen for another decade or two, if ever.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I really do think an academic examination of MMO economies would be fascinating to read, though. Especially given how the developers could change the world inputs and supply to an extant not possible in the real world.
    The economist at CCP releases his reports on the Eve economy regularly to the public so you can read those.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

What level are you/what do you want to know? I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
    13 now. Not far. No serious questions, just wondering about anything that might not be quickly obvious. There seems to be debate over Marksman vs Marksman/Eng hybrid vs Lethality.

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    Auctioneer was a crutch and didn't let you do anything you couldn't do with a calculator or Excel. Probably its biggest help was ...
    Automation. Yeah, it had major flaws, but the biggest thing, imo, was that it could save you a lot of time by not having to waste an hour updating your spreadsheet.

If you're going to solo, consider putting your initial talents into cover screen (tier 1) and balistic dampers (tier 2). It seems counter-intuitive to put things into defensive talents, but early on you'll get knocked out of cover often and Kaliyo isn't good at holding aggro. You can also toggle in and out of cover to build your defenses, which is nice. You can respec out of cover screen later.

If you're not, then don't bother with the defensive talents and go for Marksmanship and Steady Shots. Marksmanship will improve your performance against bosses. Steady Shots will improve your overall DPS.

Don't bother with Heavy Shot or Demarcation. The knockback and slow seems nice, but it really doesn't do a lot for you no matter whether you're soloing or grouping, since crowd control doesn't usually do anything against bosses and those are the people that will tear you up when they're on top of you. Heavy Shot will really piss off your Tank if you're grouping. No one likes knockback.
    That's the kind of thing I was wondering, generally. For instance, I'd hope not to be knocked out of cover (and haven't been yet), so cover screen seemed sort of pointless. I'm wondering if it would help more as I go through Dromund Kaas. (I leveled the last couple by playing a few rounds of Black Talon.) I keep hearing that Heavy Shot isn't worth it, which surprises and disappoints me. It sounds fun/useful (at first?) to be able to use knockback on someone who gets too close. Fair point about annoying tanks vs worrying about myself. Thanks for thoughts!

I'm finding the economy talk _very_ interesting, but I don't really have anything to add. I appear and everything I would write has already been said. I seem to mostly agree with Karoht's opinions, but I think good points have been made all around, re: demand, larger audiences for those who are on the less-populated faction...

7. - Top - End - #667
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I didn't even know there was a neutral GTN. Where do you find it?

8. - Top - End - #668

Auctioneer was a crutch and didn't let you do anything you couldn't do with a calculator or Excel. Probably its biggest help was that it broke up stacks for you and let you post large sales via macro, which was great on a Sunday afternoon after you'd gathered things all weekend and needed to get off to go eat dinner and watch 60 Minutes.
    Irrelevant, it was widely used enough for its flaws (outlying prices, inability to purge old data without losing everything) to create false perceptions about both average price and predictions for future trends.

So we should just be glad it isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I didn't even know there was a neutral GTN. Where do you find it?
    There's one in your ship (Expensive), one on Nar Shadaa, and one in outlaw's den.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2012-04-25 at 12:12 PM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #669

The time benefits of auctioneer are nice, but ultimately not required to corner the market on a given good. Wanna know how I do it? I look at prices, I scavenge for deals, and then I start buying and listing product. It's honestly not that time consuming unless you have difficulty working a mouse and keyboard properly, or can't tell one price per unit from another.

Cornering the market on multiple goods? Now auctioneer is your friend. Not required, but still your friend.

Honestly, for years people made the assumption that auctioneer and similar addon's ment "press button, receive bacon." Would that addon be that terrible for SWTOR's market? Likely not. Would it be bad for one great big economy? It provides no more advantage than an online stock trading account VS phoning up a stock broker.

Means by no means is this in ANY way at all an arguement in favor of such an addon in SWTOR. What I am trying to say is, that other MMO and it's economy is not the way it is due to such an addon. The same economy would have eventually formed with or without that addon. All the addon did was speed up the process. The assumption that SWTOR would be fine because it doesn't allow such an addon, when it the economy is remarkably similar, is shortsighted.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

10. - Top - End - #670
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

13 now. Not far. No serious questions, just wondering about anything that might not be quickly obvious. There seems to be debate over Marksman vs Marksman/Eng hybrid vs Lethality.
    Note that I haven't played anything but full Marksman (this is my spec, just for future reference), so this is just what I read from sources who know what they're doing, but:

Full Marksman (MM) is highly cover based. I know there are some people who don't like the cover mechanic; those people won't like marksman, and that's where some of the discussion probably comes from. However, it is good at front-loading damage, so if you have a brief window (5 or so second when you don't need to move) you can do well. It's in fights where you need to keep moving constantly that it starts to lose out to the other specs, especially Lethality.

The MM/Eng hybrid has better energy regeneration (more on that later), and doesn't seem to be quite as burst capable as the MM spec.

In general, marksman abilities tend to based around cover and single target damage, engineering abilities are a little more AoE focused (as well as less cover based), and lethality focuses on DoTs, and is the most mobile spec, though I've heard that energy management can be trickier. I'd offer more advice, but like I said, I've only played marksman.

None of the three are clearly better than the others for overall DPS. It varies with the fights.

I suspect the purpose behind cover screen is more to help other specs, who tend to be out of cover more. As you implied, if you're MM spec, you should be in cover basically the whole time. That's not always possible, but cover screen isn't a massive boost to begin with. Ballistic Dampers is significantly more important. Cover screen is designed more for fights where you HAVE to leave cover, not fights where you're knocked out (which tends to be done by melee attackers anyway).

Full Marksman basically has 13 talents that are clearly better than the alternatives and basically require at least a point of investment (every talent in the tree that's not Cover Screen, Imp. Demarcation, Heavy Shot, (maybe) Diversion, Sector Ranger, Pillbox Sniper, and Seige Bunker), and then 5 or so points at various times that you can spread around more or less however you want (again, within the tree). Points into the seven skills above are personal preference, and there's no clear right or wrong answer.

Talking about Heavy Shot in particular: I use it. Having said that, that's mostly because I find it really fun to shoot people and throw them backwards, but I know Thrain didn't like it when I was leveling, and I feel guilty when I use it in groups, especially with tanks I don't know. It's probably not the BEST choice for that point, but if you want it don't feel too bad about using it. At that level it's mostly a call between it and cover screen, and you don't need to finally choose until 19. If you need more ranged defense and melee attackers aren't a problem, go with cover screen. If it's the opposite, go heavy shot.

I guess the best and single most important topic and/or piece of advice I can give you is: energy management. Try to keep your energy above 60% at all times, outside of really short fights; if you don't, you will very likely spiral down until you have basically none left. You (will very shortly) have Adrenaline Probe, which can save you once every two minutes, but if you crash more often than that you need to rifle shot your way back up, and that's hilariously ineffective. If you can keep your energy between 60-100, you can do good sustained DPS all day long. The tricky thing with a MM spec is that the energy management is hardest (or at least, was for me) when your level is in the mid-teens and early 20's (up to 25). At this point, your damage (as I recall) comes almost exclusively from snipe, ambush, rifle shots, and explosive probe. Rifle shots does poor damage, ambush has a 15 second cooldown, and both snipe and explosive probe guzzle energy at an unsustainable rate. Don't be afraid to use rifle shots; I think back at those levels I generally used about 2 rifle shots for every 3 snipes or thereabouts. However, at level 25 (assuming you go straight up the MM tree), you can put a point in Sniper's Nest (which helps a lot), and you can start putting points into Sniper Volley, which should help as well. At level 31, you get Followthrough (your single most important ability), which helps a lot, and by level 37 your energy management almost takes care of itself (without rifle shots), if you know the rotation.

The short version is: If I had to give you one piece of advice: Learn to keep your energy above 60% for sustained fights. It's harder now; it will get easier later.

Also, don't know how much you know about the IA story/companions, but you do not get your second (non ship-droid) companion for quite a while, so keep Kaliyo geared up.
    Last edited by Salur; 2012-04-25 at 01:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671

That's the kind of thing I was wondering, generally. For instance, I'd hope not to be knocked out of cover (and haven't been yet), so cover screen seemed sort of pointless.
    At one time, getting knocked out of cover by grenades or other knockbacks/knockdowns was pretty common. It could be that they've re-visited this and I'm out of date.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The fundamental problem with MMO economies is that they're not economies. Credits (or Gold) is a waste product from having fun, and players have no recurring expenses, and even in the event they did have recurring expenses, they can be met even with the most modest level of income imaginable. The MMO-poor aren't poor because of economic forces, they're poor because they're unbelievably lazy or incredible spendthrifts (or some combination of both).

Which is why making money in these systems is always trivial, why inflation is always ridiculously high, and why none of these games allow anything of real value to be bought with their 'money'. The real MMO economy is the one governing the reward schedule from weekly raiding, limiting the itemization gains possible by any given raid team over the course of a one month billing period. The MMO cash economy is just smoke and mirrors to make players feel affluent by raining cheap money from the skies.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

I think people will discover what everyone else who actually used one for awhile figured out. They're more fragile than Inquisitors/Sages or Assassins/Shadows and they have only one viable spec. The only thing that is possibly more vulnerable than a Carnage/Combat Sentinel is a Sniper/Gunslinger that doesn't know how to use hard cover.
    Actually, I think Ahnihilation/Watchman is the go-to spec right now, at least for PvP.

EDIT:
    Turns out that the devs are currently working on giving Ashara a full skin texture. Male inquisitors rejoice!

(For those unaware, the issue is that she currently turns invisible when equipped with... certain social armor sets.)

EDIT 2:
    Anyone checked to see if the Stardream wreckage is still sitting around in the Dune Sea? It would be cool BioWare left it there as a reminder of the rakghoul event.

EDIT 3:
    SW:TOR has just officially launched in most of the Middle East and pretty much all of Europe that it wasn't in already.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-04-26 at 05:07 AM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #674

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Actually, I think Ahnihilation/Watchman is the go-to spec right now, at least for PvP.

EDIT:
    Turns out that the devs are currently working on giving Ashara a full skin texture. Male inquisitors rejoice!

(For those unaware, the issue is that she currently turns invisible when equipped with... certain social armor sets.)

EDIT 2:
    Anyone checked to see if the Stardream wreckage is still sitting around in the Dune Sea? It would be cool BioWare left it there as a reminder of the rakghoul event.

EDIT 3:
    SW:TOR has just officially launched in most of the Middle East and pretty much all of Europe that it wasn't in already.
    Post #2 in that thread has the answer.

15. - Top - End - #675

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    It's the go-to spec full stop. The other specs simply aren't good. Rage/Focus has two tricks (leap and smash/sweep), and Carnage/Combat is just absurdly bad.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the go-to spec full stop. The other specs simply aren't good. Rage/Focus has two tricks (leap and smash/sweep), and Carnage/Combat is just absurdly bad.
    I am the only Combat Sentinel (or Marauder for that matter) regularly PvP'ing at Level 50 on Ebon Hawk. It is extremely powerful, more so than Watchman/Annihilation. It also has a ridiculously high skill ceiling. Combat is exceptionally strong when played well. It's terrible when played improperly. A majority of players don't play it correctly.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So... Could we get some availability times for Hard Mode flashpoints and/or an Operation? At this point, I'm currently having technical trouble on both computers, so I'm not able to get on much, but I think organizing weekly hard modes or something like that is still a good idea.

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    The fundamental problem with MMO economies is that they're not economies. Credits (or Gold) is a waste product from having fun, and players have no recurring expenses, and even in the event they did have recurring expenses, they can be met even with the most modest level of income imaginable. The MMO-poor aren't poor because of economic forces, they're poor because they're unbelievably lazy or incredible spendthrifts (or some combination of both).
    Most of the MMO-poor I have encountered, literally have a fear of doing anything without the best possible gear on their person to go do it. So they spend money, every single level up, replacing any gear they can. At max level, these are usually the people who pay gold for raid gear, and they won't bother to raid to get that gear until they are as decked out as they can be with money.

Which is why making money in these systems is always trivial, why inflation is always ridiculously high, and why none of these games allow anything of real value to be bought with their 'money'. The real MMO economy is the one governing the reward schedule from weekly raiding, limiting the itemization gains possible by any given raid team over the course of a one month billing period. The MMO cash economy is just smoke and mirrors to make players feel affluent by raining cheap money from the skies.
    There are very few purchases that have any meaning in an MMO, or at least purchases that use the in-game currency. That first mount/speeder? Tends to be significant. There are a few similar examples, but they are indeed few. Less now in that other MMO, what with the money sinks either greatly decreased or made all but trivial with increased income potential.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So... Could we get some availability times for Hard Mode flashpoints and/or an Operation? At this point, I'm currently having technical trouble on both computers, so I'm not able to get on much, but I think organizing weekly hard modes or something like that is still a good idea.
    This week in particular is weird for me because I'll be away for a few days and I'll be on west coast time (though I will have my computer). So, this week I'll be available Friday after 6 PM Eastern and pretty much all day on Saturday. Sunday through Wednesday I might be available after 10 or 11 eastern, but that's a guess. After the 4th it's back to normal.

Normal Schedule (not this week): available 6 to 10 (pm, EDT) or so Monday through Wednesday. After 6 on Friday and pretty much anytime throughout the weekend I should be fine, although you never know what comes up here or there.

20. - Top - End - #680

RangerGuy

Well, I finally got my physical copy of the game and can pick up where my trial invite left off.
    I have a couple of questions:

I find it a bit odd that Kira has significantly better health than my Knight. Am I doing something wrong, or are companions meant to serve as shields?

Is there some trick to having last names? During character creation I couldn't get the game to accept any two-part name I came up with, so I assumed you could only have one. But I've seen players with surnames.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Well, I finally got my physical copy of the game and can pick up where my trial invite left off.

I find it a bit odd that Kira has significantly better health than my Knight. Am I doing something wrong, or are companions meant to serve as shields?

Is there some trick to having last names? During character creation I couldn't get the game to accept any two-part name I came up with, so I assumed you could only have one. But I've seen players with surnames.
    Some of them are. There are five companion types in the game - Kira might be one of the tanking classes. Some examples:

Ranged Tank (Kaliyo, Pierce)
    Melee Tank (Khem Val, Qyzen)
    Ranged DPS (Vette, Gault)
    Melee DPS (Jaesa)
    Healer (Mako, Doc)
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #682

The surname is your Legacy name. Once you unlock your legacy, you choose a Legacy name that becomes the surname for all your characters.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There are 2 possiblities here as far as Kira's health goes;

1) The itemization on the gear companions get can be a bit funny as far as endurance goes, so it is quite possible she has a fair bit of tanking mods in her armor at the moment. Or that you gave her Tank Shadow gear, which would place Endurance above willpower in regards to stat priority.
    2) She has better gear than you do. This eventually corrects itself, but if you plowed through your quests too quickly, it's quite possible she has better gear than you do. Most of your stats come from your gear.

As far as last names go, after completing chapter 1 (After Alderaan and Tatooine), you unlock your legacy, which allows you to give all your characters on your server a shared last name, and unlocks special stuff like class-based emotes, unarmed combat, and other convenience things and little bits of flair.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Some of them are. There are five companion types in the game - Kira might be one of the tanking classes. Some examples:

Ranged Tank (Kaliyo, Pierce)
    Melee Tank (Khem Val, Qyzen)
    Ranged DPS (Vette, Gault)
    Melee DPS (Jaesa)
    Healer (Mako, Doc)
    Kira is melee DPS.

Ranged Tank (T7)
    Melee Tank (Lord Scourge) - Minor Spoiler
    Ranged DPS (Sergeant Rusk)
    Melee DPS (Kira Carsen)
    Healer (Doc)

25. - Top - End - #685

RangerGuy

1) The itemization on the gear companions get can be a bit funny as far as endurance goes, so it is quite possible she has a fair bit of tanking mods in her armor at the moment. Or that you gave her Tank Shadow gear, which would place Endurance above willpower in regards to stat priority.
    She still has her starting gear. We're level 17.

2) She has better gear than you do. This eventually corrects itself, but if you plowed through your quests too quickly, it's quite possible she has better gear than you do. Most of your stats come from your gear.
    I've done almost every quest so far. On the other hand I haven't been a very diligent buyer, and I haven't fully explored the mod system.
    Heck, I used a Temple Watchman's Vest I bought with commendations on Tython all the way through Coruscant. But in my defense I liked the weirdness of a Jedi of all people running around with a bare midriff.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, nevermind then; the post I quoted before made it sound like you were saying that most people played Carnage/Combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Ranged Tank (T7)
    Melee Tank (*REDACTED*) - Major spoiler (if you've read Revan or a plot summary thereof)
    Ranged DPS (Sergeant Rusk)
    Melee DPS (Kira Carsen)
    Healer (Doc)
    Fixed. @Jeivar, assuming you're a KotOR fan (which I'm pretty sure I remember your mentioning somewhere in the first thread), then suffice it to say you'll be very pleased with the Knight story. Especially if you've read the aforementioned book.

27. - Top - End - #687

Heck, I used a Temple Watchman's Vest I bought with commendations on Tython all the way through Coruscant. But in my defense I liked the weirdness of a Jedi of all people running around with a bare midriff.
    You're undergeared. At that level, though, you're not really going to notice it. You will have issues, though, if you don't gear up by Alderaan. If you're not yet crafting, Synthweaving is actually pretty good crafting set for Knights. You can fill six slots on yourself and two of your companions, and as long as you keep your crafting in line with your level, you'll always be well geared.

Other options include:
    Cybertech for the armor and mods... you'll have to lay out some money to get oranges for everyone, but eventually you'll be able to keep everyone current in all slots but implants. You will need to buy enhancements, barrels/hilts, and crystals, but it's not too expensive if you also use commendations, and you'll also be able to kit out T7.

Artifice for the lightsaber stuff, crystals, and enhancements. If you go the orange route, this will give you all the enhancements you need, but mods and armor can be expensive. Still, you can craft some neat lightsabers.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Ah, that would explain it, then. What you ought to do is use the commendations you got from quests to purchase some modifications for an orange chestpiece, which would bolster your stats a good bit.

An explanation of how item modification works; Basically, you can use Control+Right Click on an orange or certain purple items to see what sort of item modifications are in the item. Depending on the item, you'll have 3-5 slots for the equipment (Basic Orange or Purple armor has 3 slots (Armoring, Modification, and Enhancement), while Weapons have 4 (Hilt/Barrel, Modification, Enhancement, and Color crystal). Orange weapons and armor that have been crafted by players sometimes come with an extra slot, an "Augment Slot" Which can give you a small boost to the item's stats). You can choose to remove item modifications from an item for a fee, or you can just right click new, better item modifications in your inventory to insert them into the item (You lose the item modification this way, but it's a net loss to remove the modification from the item and then sell it to a vendor anyway).

This allows you to keep the same look from ~level 25-30 (Which is when you would finally be able to get an Orange set of Boots, Gloves, and a helmet, chestpiece, and pants) to level 50, and if you can find a player crafted version of that look, you can keep it even in the endgame.

29. - Top - End - #689

RangerGuy

You're undergeared. At that level, though, you're not really going to notice it. You will have issues, though, if you don't gear up by Alderaan. If you're not yet crafting, Synthweaving is actually pretty good crafting set for Knights. You can fill six slots on yourself and two of your companions, and as long as you keep your crafting in line with your level, you'll always be well geared.

Other options include:
    Cybertech for the armor and mods... you'll have to lay out some money to get oranges for everyone, but eventually you'll be able to keep everyone current in all slots but implants. You will need to buy enhancements, barrels/hilts, and crystals, but it's not too expensive if you also use commendations, and you'll also be able to kit out T7.

Artifice for the lightsaber stuff, crystals, and enhancements. If you go the orange route, this will give you all the enhancements you need, but mods and armor can be expensive. Still, you can craft some neat lightsabers.
    Hmm. When the time came to pick skills, I went with Artifice because apparently that's for lightsabers, Archeology because apparently that's for getting the right parts, and Diplomacy because it just seemed right.

An explanation of how item modification works; Basically, you can use Control+Right Click on an orange or certain purple items to see what sort of item modifications are in the item. Depending on the item, you'll have 3-5 slots for the equipment (Basic Orange or Purple armor has 3 slots (Armoring, Modification, and Enhancement), while Weapons have 4 (Hilt/Barrel, Modification, Enhancement, and Color crystal).
    Yeah, I just haven't taken the time to get a good grip on the different parts, or learned how to craft one worth a damn.

This allows you to keep the same look from ~level 25-30 (Which is when you would finally be able to get an Orange set of Boots, Gloves, and a helmet, chestpiece, and pants) to level 50, and if you can find a player crafted version of that look, you can keep it even in the endgame.
    A signature look that actually lasts? Sounds good.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm. When the time came to pick skills, I went with Artifice because apparently that's for lightsabers, Archeology because apparently that's for getting the right parts, and Diplomacy because it just seemed right.
    ACtually, Both Archaeology and Treasure Hunting are required to get all the parts you need for Artifice (Archaeology supplies the basic power crystals and artifact fragments, while Treasure Hunting missions can give you the gemstones you need for the more advanced items you learn by reverse engineering your crafted items). The crew skills get a bit less cookie cutter if you have a lot of alts, though, because you can spread them around.