New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 44 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Artifice is really useless at endgame. It's helpful during levelling, but as a Jedi Knight, you're much better off with say, Synthweaving (for Sentinels) or Armormech (Guardians).

2. - Top - End - #692
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Artifice is really useless at endgame. It's helpful during levelling, but as a Jedi Knight, you're much better off with say, Synthweaving (for Sentinels) or Armormech (Guardians).
    uh, what? You'd want synthweaving either way, Synth handles forceuser armor, Armormech handles nonforceuser armor.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    uh, what? You'd want synthweaving either way, Synth handles forceuser armor, Armormech handles nonforceuser armor.
    Oh, really? All the Guardians on my server went Biochem or Armormech for some reason. I guess they want to look like troopers.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh, really? All the Guardians on my server went Biochem or Armormech for some reason. I guess they want to look like troopers.
    Does Armormech have a particular augment they like?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well, I guess I'll drop Artifice in favor of Synthweaving. What about Diplomacy? Is it any good in practice?

Also, do craft skills unlock better craftable items as they level up? Or does it take something more to make useful items?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Well, I guess I'll drop Artifice in favor of Synthweaving. What about Diplomacy? Is it any good in practice?

Also, do craft skills unlock better craftable items as they level up? Or does it take something more to make useful items?
    Diplomacy is for Biochemists (Which, because your third companion has a fantastic boost to his biochem stats, is actually a pretty good pick for a Jedi Knight).

As far as unlocking better items go, you have two paths, both of which you want to take advantage of.

First off, you can reverse engineer (the little button in the upper right corner of your inventory screen turns it on) items you craft to get some of the materials from the item back, and have a chance of learning a new, better schematic for the item. Most items you learn to make this way can be reverse engineered again, to create an even better final version, and there are multiple options available (For instance, when reverse engineering a pair of boots, you might learn an Overkill version of those boots, which increases the power stat of those boots. If you reverse engineer those original boots again, you might be able to learn the Critical or Redoubt versions of those boots, which boost critical and defense, respectively. The new schematics, on the other hand, have 5 potential final recipes you can learn, which could boost Shield, Absorb, Alacrity, Surge, or Presence)

In addition, as you increase your synthweaving level, you can visit the trainer for that skill (there's one on the fleet as well as most planets that have a space port instead of an orbital station), who can teach you new basic schematics that are superior to your old versions.

Here's an example. Let's start with a character at Cybertech 1. You create 6 green resolve armoring 2s and 2 green resolve mod 2s, as well as a blue version of each that you learn by reverse engineering them. This puts you at Cybertech 21. If you return to your trainer, you can now learn to create a green version of the Resolve Armoring 3 (as well as all 3 other armoring modifications, even if you didn't reverse engineer any of their initial versions). You can continue to unlock new schematics from your trainer as you level up.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Does Armormech have a particular augment they like?
    Oh, you know, that might be it... I think Armormech has the Power/Shield augment, which currently runs for about 200k each on my server.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sorry about this, but I have to ask: are there any classes that are regarded as particularly solo-friendly? I love my scoundrel's stealth, but he gets crushed against champion grade enemies and bosses. The game really stopped being fun at that point - couldn't get help, couldn't win alone, even when they're green conned.

I'd like a class with a good story as well, if possible. But I really just want to enjoy this game again.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Sorry about this, but I have to ask: are there any classes that are regarded as particularly solo-friendly? I love my scoundrel's stealth, but he gets crushed against champion grade enemies and bosses. The game really stopped being fun at that point - couldn't get help, couldn't win alone, even when they're green conned.

I'd like a class with a good story as well, if possible. But I really just want to enjoy this game again.
    I've found Shadow to be exceptionally friendly to solo play. If you don't feel like killing stuff, you can just stealth your way through. You get Tharan pretty early on, so you'll always have a healer. They're devastating as tanks and as DPS, so...

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

Scoundrel is the Republic version of the Operative, right? First off, keep in mind that the devs intended for champion ranked mobs to be challenges for 3-4 player groups. However...

Step 1: Spec yourself as a healer and use a tank companion.
    Step 2: Keep both yourself and your companion's gear at least somewhat up-to-date (easiest if you're an armormech).
    Step 3: Solo equal-level champion mobs.

If you screw up your healing rotation and your companion bites it, vanish, resummon your companion, and try again. With this setup you won't kill things as quickly as you may be used to, but you should be able to tackle anything you come across short of a world boss.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

uh, why are you attacking champion grade enemies on your own at all? The most i faced on my SW was an Elite and 2 strongs...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    uh, why are you attacking champion grade enemies on your own at all? The most i faced on my SW was an Elite and 2 strongs...
    Several of my class quests included champions. Maybe I've got the term wrong, they've got the silver/gold icon next to them.

I knew about the healer/tank strategy, it's how I managed to scrape by at all after getting past Act I. I was able to push my way to collect my entire crew, mainly by being stubborn enough to just keep trying until I won each fight. It's possible, but it wasn't fun, and once I had my allies there was really no motivation.

Also, I must admit I found it easier to play the healer with a DPS ally (Risha). Not a great help on mass fights, but on boss fights she fared better than Bowdaar or Corso.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

A signature look that actually lasts? Sounds good.
    Yep; I've been wearing the same robe since level 19 and the matching lower robe since I got it at level ~24. These ones, in case you're wondering.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Troll in the Playground

Champion-rank mobs in your class quest? Not Strongs (silver stars by their portraits) and occasionally Elites (gold stars), but actual Champions? Admittedly I haven't played the Smuggler class quest, but I haven't seen any Champions in the class quests I have played - usually Champions are the domain of Heroics and Flashpoints.

And if you're heal-specced, Scoundrel should already be extremely solo-friendly: I can solo same-level (and sometimes even level+) Champion-rank mobs on my heal-spec Operative, which as Mango said is the Imperial reskin of the Scoundrel. Those fights generally involve me focusing almost entirely on keeping my tank companion topped up, because any break in the flow of heals - even to spend a single GCD throwing a DOT dart - can put me so far behind I can't catch up again before Kaliyo drops. It's tough, and it seems like it takes forever... and it's totally doable. But you really shouldn't have to play it that way outside of Heroic missions. So I don't know what to tell you.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Champion-rank mobs in your class quest? Not Strongs (silver stars by their portraits) and occasionally Elites (gold stars), but actual Champions? Admittedly I haven't played the Smuggler class quest, but I haven't seen any Champions in the class quests I have played - usually Champions are the domain of Heroics and Flashpoints.
    Well, the boss for Inquisitors on Dromund Kaas is champion rank, but the mission just before that one has you retrieve an item that weakens him.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Well, the boss for Inquisitors on Dromund Kaas is champion rank, but the mission just before that one has you retrieve an item that weakens him.
    He doesn't count. That item makes him about... eh, strong, tbh. Not even really powerful enough to be an elite

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    He doesn't count. That item makes him about... eh, strong, tbh. Not even really powerful enough to be an elite
    Which was exactly my point.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post

And if you're heal-specced, Scoundrel should already be extremely solo-friendly: I can solo same-level (and sometimes even level+) Champion-rank mobs on my heal-spec Operative, which as Mango said is the Imperial reskin of the Scoundrel. Those fights generally involve me focusing almost entirely on keeping my tank companion topped up, because any break in the flow of heals - even to spend a single GCD throwing a DOT dart - can put me so far behind I can't catch up again before Kaliyo drops. It's tough, and it seems like it takes forever... and it's totally doable. But you really shouldn't have to play it that way outside of Heroic missions. So I don't know what to tell you.
    See, part of the problem there is that I didn't choose the Scoundrel class for the healing, I chose it for the stealth. I like game-play that involves ambushing or out-maneuvering my opponents. I like guile and I like offense, and as strong a combination of the two as I can manage. Sure, hiding behind my ally (Risha of all people) got me through the hard bits, but only by taking all the guile and offense out of the game and spamming my two primary healing powers. It was doable, but it took forever, it was tedious, and it was frustrating because I was letting my companion have all the fun and she wasn't even sentient to enjoy it. It stopped being a game and started being a chore. That's what I want to avoid should I come back.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

See, part of the problem there is that I didn't choose the Scoundrel class for the healing, I chose it for the stealth. I like game-play that involves ambushing or out-maneuvering my opponents. I like guile and I like offense, and as strong a combination of the two as I can manage. Sure, hiding behind my ally (Risha of all people) got me through the hard bits, but only by taking all the guile and offense out of the game and spamming my two primary healing powers. It was doable, but it took forever, it was tedious, and it was frustrating because I was letting my companion have all the fun and she wasn't even sentient to enjoy it. It stopped being a game and started being a chore. That's what I want to avoid should I come back.
    You could always just do what I do and be incredibly overleveled for your class quests for almost the entire game.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You could always just do what I do and be incredibly overleveled for your class quests for almost the entire game.
    How? Did you just go on world tours and clean out global quests as far as you can before going back for the main plot? Did you grind against random targets until you had a sufficient edge?

Of course, things have been chaotic for me for the last couple months so I haven't played much. Maybe my complaint is just based on imbalances from the launch that they fixed in 1.2 or some less advertised patch. Has it changed at all?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

How? Did you just go on world tours and clean out global quests as far as you can before going back for the main plot? Did you grind against random targets until you had a sufficient edge?

Of course, things have been chaotic for me for the last couple months so I haven't played much. Maybe my complaint is just based on imbalances from the launch that they fixed in 1.2 or some less advertised patch. Has it changed at all?
    Do daily space missions every day before you even TRY to do your class quests, for one

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

I've found the best way to overlevel content is simply to not skip anything. Not even running space combat or anything, just pick up and do all the (nonheroic) quests, and do any bonus quests that pop up.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

23. - Top - End - #713

RangerGuy

I've found the best way to overlevel content is simply to not skip anything. Not even running space combat or anything, just pick up and do all the (nonheroic) quests, and do any bonus quests that pop up.
    That's what I'm doing, but mostly just because I'm really anal like that.

Say, there's one non-gameplay related thing I'm curious about; I've come across mentions of Bastila and seen Jolee's lightsaber for sale, but is there any mention of the rest of the KOTOR 1 squad?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

24. - Top - End - #714
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's what I'm doing, but mostly just because I'm really anal like that.

Say, there's one non-gameplay related thing I'm curious about; I've come across mentions of Bastila and seen Jolee's lightsaber for sale, but is there any mention of the rest of the KOTOR 1 squad?
    Oh boy here's the list

Early-game imperial
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a cult devoted to Revan on Kaas

Mandalorian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some Mandos want to help the republic due to Mandalore the Redeemer. You should know who he was.

ACT 2 levels about
    Spoiler
    Show
    For republic, The Exile contacts the jedi to rescue Revan. Afterwards, Imperials track him down. Needless to say HK shows up

Correllia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your favorite double-pistol dude has a statue as a hero of the Republic.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

Here are a few more.

Foundry (high 30s FP for Empire)
    Spoiler
    Show
    HK-47 and Revan are bosses.

Black Talon (10 FP for Empire)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The final boss is descended from Yuthura Ban.

Republic
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chick that briefs you for all of the Republic FPs is descended from Bastila Shan.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

Umm, okay? On the one hand, what you're running into was probably inevitable (to some extent) in a game where everyone gets pets for every role: content balanced to challenge Healer-Tank combos is just going to be tougher for DPS-DPS pairs. So congratulations, you've chosen to start out in what passes for Hard Mode in the game. On the other hand, I still can't think why you'd be having that much trouble unless you're just massively under-leveled/geared for the content: I'll bust out the tank'n'spank to clear group content, sure, but for solo content I generally get through just fine with my own weaksauce (because I'm heal-specced) DPS and my RDPS companion, and only rarely even need to throw a heal.

One other thing to consider, though: Sawbones doesn't mean you don't get Stealth. Even without speccing into it, sneakery is pretty awesome and will get you through a LOT of situations. Healing specs still retain significant offense, too. Less than a straight-up DPS spec, sure, but this isn't vanilla WoW where healers and tanks took two minutes or more to kill a single same-level non-elite mob. Trying it is a free re-spec away... and if you decide you hate it, one week later it's time for another free re-spec.

I don't think either of those would help. The Class and World quests on any given planet are designed for the same level range, so it's unlikely you'll make headway in one if you're struggling with the other. And grinding against random targets... doesn't seem to be Teh Shortcut to Absolute Powaahhh in TOR the way it was in WoW. Completionism does help, though - even if you don't bother with Heroics, just doing all the solo planetary missions along with your class story missions (and including the bonus missions for both) should keep you at or above the leveling curve, and keep you reasonably well-geared. Maybe throw in Space missions when new ones come up, though ship upgrades become yet another money sink in that case.
    Last edited by Philistine; 2012-04-29 at 08:34 PM.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much this. I'm an obsessive completionist; I simply have to do every mission (except for grayed-out bonus objectives), generally saving the class quest for last out of whatever's available at a given time. That + space combat dailies + flashpoints (done everything through Foundry at least once, can't seem to ever find a group for Colicoid or Red Reaper) + the occassional warzone daily + rested bonus = being 6+ levels above all the planet content since around Nar Shaddaa. Though right now I'm level 49 and on Belsavis so the gap is going to start closing pretty fast.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-04-29 at 11:55 PM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, I finally finished the Imperial Agent story...and I gotta say, I'm kinda disappointed. It was great right up until the end, but the final boss fight was incredibly underwhelming even at lvl47, the LS/DS trigger options didn't really make sense, and it left a lot of unanswered questions that I expect will never be resolved.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So the general consensus is that I just suck at this game, eh? A fair answer. Not the one I was hoping for, but fair enough and a simple one to act on. Thanks for the help.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

30. - Top - End - #720

Well, you could outfit Doc and Rusk and create oranges for yourself that look like trooper armor and fill it with +Str mods, armor, and enhancements. Seems like a pretty round-about way to do it though. Might be cheaper to go Cybertech.

Trooper and Bounty Hunter are extremely solo friendly (either advanced class, really). The BH story isn't as good as the Troopers', but it has the same snark you get in the Smuggler.

The Consular and Inquisitor are also solo friendly (again, with any of their advanced classes). The only problem with the Assassin is that you get your healer quite late and there are a couple of class bosses that can be a little difficult if you're not prepared, but those issues are few and far between.

The Smuggler/Agent are probably the hardest to solo unless you're a primary healer. Then it becomes the slowest to solo.

Space missions are how I do it (I don't really play the game on weekdays... I just run space missions to relax from work before dinner). PvP missions also grant a lot of XP. Then there's the Bonus series of missions on each planet after the second. Finally, flashpoints. You don't really have to grind against random targets. That's probably the slowest way to do it.
    Last edited by GungHo; 2012-04-30 at 08:56 AM.