New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    The BH story isn't as good as the Troopers', but it has the same snark you get in the Smuggler.
    Let's just say YMMV here. The trooper's chapter 1 story is fairly solid, but chapters 2 and 3 suffer from being stuck in the same formula and, to be honest, I don't have any real personal reason to do this beyond my orders. The bounty Hunter, on the other hand, has a very, very clear motivation for chapter 3. I am going to make that guy pay...
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    So the general consensus is that I just suck at this game, eh? A fair answer. Not the one I was hoping for, but fair enough and a simple one to act on. Thanks for the help.
    Nonono you don't suck. Probably not anyways. DPS Scoundrel while leveling can be a rather painful process, and you're probably just missing some quests here or there, and that's just adding up.

What planet are you on? You might benefit from going back to older planets and doing their bonus series, as well as upgrading your gear. While more expensive overall, you can maintain a set of quality oranges in every single armor/weapon slot. Spend some Commendations on mods and armorings.

It's probably just a combination of being undergeared and underleveled for the content you're trying to do. What level are you, and what planet are you on? Are all the mods in your gear within 2-3 levels of your current level?

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Nonono you don't suck. Probably not anyways. DPS Scoundrel while leveling can be a rather painful process, and you're probably just missing some quests here or there, and that's just adding up.
    Painful describes it pretty well. I hit the wall around Alderan, namely the last few quests there. Bowdaar (Melee tank) served reasonably well, but at one point I hit two golds that were standing next to a console I needed and I just couldn't keep the wookie alive long enough to kill either one. I just kept trying until I pulled it off, then vanished and picked the other one off at my leisure. The bosses for the Act 1 finale were nasty. The first one just required a lot of patience and experimentation to pull off, the second one required me to recruit help. Once I got Risha, it was a lot easier for me for some bizarre reason. I know tanks are supposed to be better than DPS for boss fights, but she got me through when my two tanks failed constantly.

Of course the problem here is that I don't like healing. I like stealth, I like moral practicality, I like offense, and I like smartass banter. I did not become a scoundrel to sit there spamming two heal buttons while emotionless bots steal all the joy of a good offense. It works. It just isn't fun.

What planet are you on? You might benefit from going back to older planets and doing their bonus series, as well as upgrading your gear. While more expensive overall, you can maintain a set of quality oranges in every single armor/weapon slot. Spend some Commendations on mods and armorings.
    As for planet, I used Risha as a heavily armed human shield to push my way through Hoth in order to recruit Guss, my last ally. As has been said frequently, a healer scoundrel can outlast most contests and even rather under-leveled (36-ish) I was able to push through all the fights without incident. But it had ceased being fun for so long that the loss of my only readily achievable goal (gaining all companions) killed my interest in going further.

It's probably just a combination of being undergeared and underleveled for the content you're trying to do. What level are you, and what planet are you on? Are all the mods in your gear within 2-3 levels of your current level?
    One of the first things I did in this game was build a network of level 10 characters training up all the skills required for my purposes. I only had trainer-bought recipes and some reverse engineered variants, but by and large wasn't hurting for gear.

My scoundrel was an armstech master, which meant my offense was always top-notch. Not that I got to make much use of it, of course.

I loved the idea of orange gear, and such was the effectiveness of my crafting network that my mods were reliably equal to or better than what was available via commendation vendors.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Of course the problem here is that I don't like healing. I like stealth, I like moral practicality, I like offense, and I like smartass banter. I did not become a scoundrel to sit there spamming two heal buttons while emotionless bots steal all the joy of a good offense. It works. It just isn't fun.
    You could try the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin. Spec tank and run with a healing companion, and you should be able to solo pretty much anything you run across, you still have stealth, and as the tank you're the one laying the smack down. You can pass off the empty, joyless existence of keeping a tank alive to your bot. I haven't played the consular, but I know that the inquisitor has a fair amount of snarky dialog options.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    You could try the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin. Spec tank and run with a healing companion, and you should be able to solo pretty much anything you run across, you still have stealth, and as the tank you're the one laying the smack down. You can pass off the empty, joyless existence of keeping a tank alive to your bot. I haven't played the consular, but I know that the inquisitor has a fair amount of snarky dialog options.
    I may resurrect my account to try a Light-side BH and a Light/Gray JC Shadow. The bounty hunter will definitely be male (that growl is too perfect when delivering snark), but not sure of the specialization. The consular will be a Shadow, but I'm not certain on the gender. My existing Shadow is female. Might use her, I'll be hanging with Doc most of the time anyhow, it seems, and he should supply ample snark if nothing else.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-30 at 11:26 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Bugbear in the Playground

I may resurrect my account to try a Light-side BH and a Light/Gray JC Shadow. The bounty hunter will definitely be male (that growl is too perfect when delivering snark), but not sure of the specialization. The consular will be a Shadow, but I'm not certain on the gender. My existing Shadow is female. Might use her, I'll be hanging with Doc most of the time anyhow, it seems, and he should supply ample snark if nothing else.
    The female Consular sounds better to me than the male. I realize the male is Nolan North, but he's poorly used. And Doc is the Knight's healer. The Consular healer is Theran.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The female Consular sounds better to me than the male. I realize the male is Nolan North, but he's poorly used. And Doc is the Knight's healer. The Consular healer is Theran.
    Oh, right. The hive guy. That's right. That's why I couldn't make up my mind on it, come to think of it - I got the impression both interests were a bit creepy, so I just went with female to balance gender representation (the other female being my trooper, of course).
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-04-30 at 01:06 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right. The hive guy.
    I think you're thinking of Vector, who's an agent companion. Theran is the guy with the hologram.

As far as soloing, your 60-second CCs are your best friends. Yes, two at-level elites (golds) are going to rip any of your companions, and then you, apart. One at-level elite because you tranquilized/sliced the second one, on the other hand, is perfectly doable. Personally, I think that if you want to level as DPS then you should go ahead, even if it's harder. Just make sure that only as many enemies as you think you can burn down at once are capable of fighting back, and don't be afraid to Vanish while you're ahead.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #729

Just turn off any AoE moves your companions can perform... I've had Kaliyo and Vector wake up darted bosses with with an ill-conceived grenade/whirlwind attack more than a couple of times.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Frankly, just turn off the grenade, period. It does absolutely terrible damage.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

11. - Top - End - #731

RangerGuy

Sooo, my Knight is coming along rather nicely, even though I've yet to Synthweave anything I can actually use. But just what does companion affection DO? Does it unlock sidequests? Combat bonuses? What?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

12. - Top - End - #732
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Sooo, my Knight is coming along rather nicely, even though I've yet to Synthweave anything I can actually use. But just what does companion affection DO? Does it unlock sidequests? Combat bonuses? What?
    It does a few things. For one, a companion at max affection (10k/10k) supposedly has 15% efficiency (reduced time) and +5% crit chance on crafting. Secondly, affection unlocks companion conversations. These conversations give you backstory and the occasional side mission, plus experience! I've actually leveled once in a while based on completing several conversations in a row.

Another benefit to unlocking conversations is for your Legacy. Each type of companion has a specific bonus that you can unlock once per Legacy. For example, if you finish _all_ conversations with at least _one_ healer companion on _one_ of your characters in that legacy, you gain a bonus to all healing received on all characters in the legacy. I.e., finished talking to Doc? Then all of your characters get bonus healing! Plus, for _every_ companion whose conversations you finish, you get +10 Presence to each character in the legacy. As an example, I've unlocked 4/5 companions on my Consular, and 3/5 on my Juggernaut. So on my new Sniper I have +70 Presence, making leveling an alt that much easier! (Presence increases companion effectiveness in combat.)

I think there's another bonus or two that I've missed, but that's the bulk of it. This article is a pretty good look at gifts and increasing affection on your companions.
    Last edited by Valaqil; 2012-05-03 at 03:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Apparently my Agent is a pimp now - I powered through Kaliyo's questchain, including proposing marriage, then did Temple's quest chain and offered her marriage as well...and dumping Kaliyo in the process earned me +15 affection with Kaliyo...???

14. - Top - End - #734
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, there's one factor you've failed to take into account: Kaliyo is crazy with a capital cray.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #735
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, did anyone else notice that the Sith Emperor is voiced by Doug Bradley, a.k.a Pinhead from Hellraiser?
    Last edited by stabbybelkar; 2012-05-04 at 08:07 PM.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Apparently my Agent is a pimp now - I powered through Kaliyo's questchain, including proposing marriage, then did Temple's quest chain and offered her marriage as well...and dumping Kaliyo in the process earned me +15 affection with Kaliyo...???
    Lolwut? I've seen comments about Kaliyo's affection +'s being all over the place, but that's just crazy. Maybe it's the "abandoning your commitments just because you want to" aspect of it that amused her, what with being a freewheeling anarchist and all? Sure, let's go with that.

...On a related note, I asked on the official forums and have been informed that most likely yes, that conversation with Ashara that I picked too few of the [Flirt] lines on was the one and only chance to intiate the romance with her. I guess I could try to ask CS to reset that conversation and the ones after it for me, but I'm kind of loath to do that rather than just live with my mistake: On one hand it was mostly for in-character reasons that I didn't pick the lines I needed to, but on the other hand I made the decision under the assumption that I'd get a better line later.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by stabbybelkar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, did anyone else notice that the Sith Emperor is voiced by Doug Bradley, a.k.a Pinhead from Hellraiser?
    I have not encountered the character in question, and would say that the fact that certain classes do is a big enough spoiler to be tagged as such.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-04 at 01:10 AM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #737

It may be a bug, but... it could be Kaliyo is happy that she doesn't have to be monagamous. She's not big on normative behavior.

As far as voice actor encounters... I am taking notes every time I run into the Whataburger guy. I am not only impressed by his gravelly voice, but he also has the baddest IMDB headshot that's ever graced IMDB.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It may be a bug, but... it could be Kaliyo is happy that she doesn't have to be monagamous. She's not big on normative behavior.
    The irony being that she had sent me a mail message a few hours ago saying she wanted unrestricted access to bring 'three hot guys' aboard the ship whenever she wanted, so I don't think she was very monogamous to begin with.

I'm going to go with bug-nuts crazy, the question will now be if she keeps mailing me gifts.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I have not encountered the character in question, and would say that the fact that certain classes do is a big enough spoiler to be tagged as such.
    You're right, I have now fixed it.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

The irony being that she had sent me a mail message a few hours ago saying she wanted unrestricted access to bring 'three hot guys' aboard the ship whenever she wanted, so I don't think she was very monogamous to begin with.
    Well she did ask for proper clearance; I'd call that progress.

EDIT:

Update on this:
    ...On a related note, I asked on the official forums and have been informed that most likely yes, that conversation with Ashara that I picked too few of the [Flirt] lines on was the one and only chance to intiate the romance with her. I guess I could try to ask CS to reset that conversation and the ones after it for me, but I'm kind of loath to do that rather than just live with my mistake: On one hand it was mostly for in-character reasons that I didn't pick the lines I needed to, but on the other hand I made the decision under the assumption that I'd get a better line later.
    I did in fact email customer service, and received a fairly quick response saying that they don't take requests to reset conversations/missions, which I completely understand and was kind of expecting. Hopefully the people who responded to my thread on the official forums are wrong about the whole "I'm not getting another shot at this" thing.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-06 at 09:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #741

RangerGuy

So, ah, yet another question here.

What triggers further companion conversations? Location? Character level? Story progression? Affection level?
    I've finished Taris and I'm on Nar Shaddaa but I haven't heard a peep since leaving Coruscant.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

It seems that new conversations with a Companion are locked until you pass both a story-progress check and an Affection-level check. If your Affection gains outpace your progress through the story, you'll see big bursts of conversations at Chapter transitions; if not, you'll get conversations a little more regularly as Affection gradually increases.

I don't recall what class you're playing, much less which Companion you might be worrying about; but it sounds like you're coming up on the halfway mark in Chapter 1 'Pubside, so if you have high Affection with the Companion in question then they may not have much to say to you for a couple more planets, yet.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #743

I'll confirm Philistine's response. It's a combination of affection level and story progress. I max out affection pretty quickly because I'm a shark on the GTN and I can fund the bribes and I get the big burst of conversations that Philistine's talking about at story progression intervals.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

I'll confirm Philistine's response. It's a combination of affection level and story progress. I max out affection pretty quickly because I'm a shark on the GTN and I can fund the bribes and I get the big burst of conversations that Philistine's talking about at story progression intervals.
    I can confirm this as well, after having maxed out Khem Val's affection before I even finished Chapter 1. I hardly used any gifts, either, my character is just the one thing that Khem seems to love above all else: A sarcastic, megalomaniacal braggart who doesn't take crap from anybody.

Also, to answer Philistine, Jeivar's playing a Knight last time he mentioned anything about it in the thread, so 50 credits says he's talking about Kira.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-11 at 08:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Firbolg in the Playground

I can confirm this as well, after having maxed out Khem Val's affection before I even finished Chapter 1. I hardly used any gifts, either, my character is just the one thing that Khem seems to love above all else: A sarcastic, megalomaniacal braggart who doesn't take crap from anybody.
    That description says very little about which dialog options you chose, but from context I can say you chose the scociopathic BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD options. Khem isn't a fan of irreverent trolls.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

26. - Top - End - #746

RangerGuy

Also, to answer Philistine, Jeivar's playing a Knight last time he mentioned anything about it in the thread, so 50 credits says he's talking about Kira.
    Well, yes. She is a good deal more interesting than Mr. Bleep-bleep-bleep.

Anyway, her affection level is almost at 3000, I've finished Nar Shaddaa, aaand I finally got some dialogue, after her . . . uh, family situation came to light.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    That description says very little about which dialog options you chose, but from context I can say you chose the scociopathic BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD options. Khem isn't a fan of irreverent trolls.
    If you're referring to all of the "There will be no survivors!"s and "I will crush my enemies underfoot"s, then yes, I do tend to pick those a lot. Although the heavy side-helpings of "Time for you to see what a Sith can do!" and "I really am the best" were at least as reliable at racking up the +15s.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Inquisitor
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I want to wear robes made of SOLID GOOOOOOLD!"

You'd think that'd be +15 for Khem. Apparently he dislikes overconfidence >.>
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Inquisitor
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I want to wear robes made of SOLID GOOOOOOLD!"

You'd think that'd be +15 for Khem. Apparently he dislikes overconfidence >.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's not overconfidence, it's just tacky.

I picked the "spout off the Sith Code" option on that one and got +40.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's not overconfidence, it's just tacky.

I picked the "spout off the Sith Code" option on that one and got +40.
    Tacky overconfidence is still overconfidence
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig