New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Inquisitor
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I want to wear robes made of SOLID GOOOOOOLD!"

You'd think that'd be +15 for Khem. Apparently he dislikes overconfidence >.>
    Khem Val is one of those companions that's a little less consistent as to how he'll react. Qyzen Fess is also all over the map. It's one of the other ways that Inquisitors and Councilors mirror.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Well, I finished the Trooper prologue.

Spoiler
    Show

A Secret volcano base with a superweapon inside? Really? Really?

...Well, at least that cheesiness distracted me from the blatantly obvious 'plot twist'.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Well, I finished the Trooper prologue.

Spoiler
    Show

A Secret volcano base with a superweapon inside? Really? Really?

...Well, at least that cheesiness distracted me from the blatantly obvious 'plot twist'.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly? I thought they were gonna be dead on arrival at the hands of Act 1's main villian (whoever he/she may be)

I liked the volcano base thing. I mean it's not like the resistance appeared to be the most realistic bunch before then anyway. What annoyed me more is how they made a big deal about how you'd have to swim to that island when all you had to do was walk and get your boots a little wet...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    What annoyed me more is how they made a big deal about how you'd have to swim to that island when all you had to do was walk and get your boots a little wet...
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, if the game used realistic water physics and the Separatists used proper deployment, that approach could be a real nightmare at high tide. But that's a bit beyond the scope of the game (and anyway, realistic depictions of D-Day in video games aren't very fun).
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-05-15 at 09:39 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, if the game used realistic water physics and the Separatists used proper deployment, that approach could be a real nightmare at high tide. But that's a bit beyond the scope of the game (and anyway, realistic depictions of D-Day in video games aren't very fun).
    Kindly keep things that are in spoiler tags IN SPOILER TAGS.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

So... today's patch broke my headgear... again.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Kindly keep things that are in spoiler tags IN SPOILER TAGS.
    My apologies. I just figured a minor quest in the prologue with no long term consequences didn't merit one. Fixed it.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frankly I find it ridiculous that any military strategists in Star Wars would even care about water, seeings as every vehicle worth its salt hovers.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

You know, the game's been out for 5 months now. We're about to the point where people really need to relax about "spoilers." Especially about things on the starter worlds, <10% of the way through the game. Even more especially about someone's idle musings about trivial details of optional locations on the starter worlds.

Anyway - if it's possible for spoilers to ruin a story, odds are it was a pretty weak story to begin with. Do you just never re-watch movies, re-read books, or re-play games?
    Last edited by Philistine; 2012-05-15 at 01:41 PM.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #760

RangerGuy

So, while I am enjoying the Knight's storyline I am thinking of starting up an alt just to keep things varied. I'll probably leave the Consular for now, and I don't get much out of playing crazy evil murder bastard evil evil, so I guess that leaves me with a choice between Trooper and Smuggler.
    I'm leaning towards Trooper if only because of Jennifer Hale, but it seems the story gets pretty dull after a while. On the other hand it seems Smuggler can make for frustrating gameplay.
    Recommendations?
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

You know that you can play a light side Empire character, right? You aren't required to be a crazy evil murder machine if you play a Sith, bounty hunter, or agent. I mean, if you wanted to play "crazy evil murder bastard evil evil," as you put it, you could do that just as easily on the Republic side.

That said, I never found the agent to be particularly frustrating gameplay-wise (she was actually the most fun to play character I had), and I don't see why the smuggler would be different. Unless you opt for the pure dps advanced class, but I have no idea why anyone would ever do that.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

I think you'd find playing Imperial a pleasant surprise. You know how as a Jedi you have all those opportunities to choose LS or DS options? You get those regardless of what faction you play - so Impside isn't all about, as you say, "crazy evil murder bastard evil." Or at least it doesn't have to be.

13. - Top - End - #763

RangerGuy

Yes, I know Imperials also have LS/DS choices, I just figured it was more of a choice between "Godfather Evil" and "Leatherface Evil".

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Yes, I know Imperials also have LS/DS choices, I just figured it was more of a choice between "Godfather Evil" and "Leatherface Evil".
    Light side is loyal to the Empire, but not evil. You can be a good person and strive to live with honor and improve the lot of your people and still wear the Imperial crest.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, LS Imperial charactes are very viable. The Bounty Hunter a little less so, I think, because you get thrown at the Republic more often (the other classes deal a lot more with internal politics, so you can assume the moral highground most of the time). And the republic's not perfect either; You can find a lot of evidence of really horrible things *cough* Belsaivs *cough* the Republic has done.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

No. Really, really, no. That's just -

Do you find all Republic DS/LS options to be choices between "pragmatic good" and "idealistic good"? Or are Republic DS choices actually, you know, dark? And if Reps can be Dark, why wouldn't Imps be able to be Light?

17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    You know, the game's been out for 5 months now. We're about to the point where people really need to relax about "spoilers." Especially about things on the starter worlds, <10% of the way through the game. Even more especially about someone's idle musings about trivial details of optional locations on the starter worlds.

Anyway - if it's possible for spoilers to ruin a story, odds are it was a pretty weak story to begin with. Do you just never re-watch movies, re-read books, or re-play games?
    While I agree it probably wouldn't hurt to loosen things for the origin and capital worlds, as well as for minor sidequests, anything of real importance post-prologue (i.e.- class/world quest details) should still be tagged. Some people just plain don't like having spoilers dropped on them, and it's not that hard to spoiler-tag something.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #768

I'm leaning towards Trooper if only because of Jennifer Hale, but it seems the story gets pretty dull after a while. On the other hand it seems Smuggler can make for frustrating gameplay.
    Recommendations?
    Trooper if you want easy mode. The story does get old after Act 2 and 3, but the gameplay is consistent and rewarding, mostly because you don't have to worry about being set up before a fight.

And, Smugglers can be frustrating, but it really depends on what you're playing. If you're playing a scoundrel, it's probably easier to solo as a scrapper. While it's easy to get caught out during some fights, you can always pop your instant cloak and set up again. For a gunslinger, I only have experince with a Marksman, but some folks say that Saboteur is good fun. Their story isn't a hell of a lot better than the Trooper's though. It's just more consistent in it's averageness (though a lot of comedy).

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Do you find all Republic DS/LS options to be choices between "pragmatic good" and "idealistic good"? Or are Republic DS choices actually, you know, dark? And if Reps can be Dark, why wouldn't Imps be able to be Light?
    It's kind of a wash, honestly. Some of the "light"/"dark" options aren't all that light or dark on either side. Republic dark side for the Trooper, for instance, is more Jack Bauer than Animal Mother except for a few choices. Jedi Knights, on the other hand, are either boy scouts or completely ruthless.
    Last edited by GungHo; 2012-05-16 at 08:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Barbarian in the Playground

Personally, I'd take Trooper over Smuggler. Smuggler probably gets better lines, more snark, but I really liked playing the Trooper for a while. It was a solid tank, with a decent story in the beginning. (I still haven't finished Act One, but I heard that it goes downhill a bit in the later Acts.)

I'd also like to throw in a couple of words about the Empire. Imperials do have LS choices, but they're more for the good of the Empire, citizens and soldiers, than personal gratification. I made several LS choices as a Warrior because I thought of him as more of a soldier, honorable warrior archetype. So, for instance, I chose courses of action that focused on strengthening our army and helping our citizens if the DS option was something short-sighted and self-defeating. I reached Dark IV, but I have several hundred (a thousand or two?) LS points. And on my Imperial Agent, I'm taking a more grey path. It's "Get the job done, quickly and efficiently." If bribing/cooperation/persuasion works fastest, let's do that. If we're getting nowhere, THEN I'll hurt someone. A lot. There's still plenty of choices to be a good guy, or at least not be crazy-butcher-evil.

Tangentially related, I felt more free to _roleplay_ on the Imperial side. On the Republic, I _really_ want to be the Hero, LS and pure. Especially when you see so much corruption running amok. On the Imperial side, I feel more like the expectation to be evil means that I can actually choose whatever I want. There, LS is okay if you can still get the job done, and DS is actually desired. (Well, slightly less freedom to play it LS if you're Sith because the Darths wouldn't like it.)

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    (Well, slightly less freedom to play it LS if you're Sith because the Darths wouldn't like it.)
    Of course, half the point of both Sith stories is to advance yourself to the point where it doesn't matter what the Darths think, because what the heck are they going to do about it?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Of course, half the point of both Sith stories is to advance yourself to the point where it doesn't matter what the Darths think, because what the heck are they going to do about it?
    Oh, absolutely! But, if we try to avoid "metagaming", I didn't think it would be a good idea to step out of line too far, or often. That's how the other apprentices get killed.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know if there are any craftable orange (i.e. augmentable) gloves or boots that aren't from PvP schematics? I've tried asking around and nobody seems to have a definite answer on my server, or the schematics for that matter.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any craftable orange (i.e. augmentable) gloves or boots that aren't from PvP schematics? I've tried asking around and nobody seems to have a definite answer on my server, or the schematics for that matter.
    Not yet. About 70 or so of each are coming in 1.3, though.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    Oh, absolutely! But, if we try to avoid "metagaming", I didn't think it would be a good idea to step out of line too far, or often. That's how the other apprentices get killed.
    Who cares about the other apprentices? Obviously they were week minded fools who deserved to die.
    Thanks to Sean Mirrsen for the Kamina Pony avatar.
    : sacrificing minons, is their any problem it can't solve?

"EAT HOT PLASMA DEATH ALIEN SCUM!!!!!!...I always wanted to say that."
    Blake-Aliens:Earth Hive by Steave Perry

25. - Top - End - #775
    Titan in the Playground

Not yet. About 70 or so of each are coming in 1.3, though.
    Well, technically Campaign gear is researchable, but that might take a while.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

As a Sith Warrior, I've found it rather hard to solo of late, and for some reason my class quests are more than my level can handle, which is odd as I arrived on Tatooine around level 26.

Ghosts of the Desert, perhaps one of the most interesting side quests I have seen so far, is extremely hard to complete as the cursed Palawa have that annoying rally power that I can't always interrupt. Maybe now, at level 30, I can finish this quest.

Should I be level 30 on Tatooine?

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

27. - Top - End - #777
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What's your gear like? I just did that quest as a marauder at level 28 and had no problems with it.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty good, it's all been from drops as I still don't quite get crafting yet.

What are you meant to do with the found artifacts?

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

29. - Top - End - #779
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch 1.3: Allies Revealed

It should come as no surprise that BioWare Austin is prepping a v1.3 content patch for Star Wars: The Old Republic, and thanks to a reveal interview on IGN with lead game designer Daniel Erickson, we know exactly what to expect from it. Server transfers, adaptive gear, and augment tables are the only major bullet points, which may irk some players looking for new content to chew through:

IGN: The armor customization system has undergone quite a few changes over the past few months, what are some of the latest for 1.3?

Daniel Erickson: 1.3 brings a couple of big changes. First off is Adaptive Gear, which causes each piece of social gear to scale to the armor needs of the wearer. That means a heavy armor Sith Warrior can finally wear that slave outfit into a high level raid. In that same spirits of letting players wear what they want, the second big change is Augment Tables. Now any outfit in the game above green rarity can have an augment slot added to it via an Augment Table and a crafter-created kit.

IGN: What about the crafting system, will there be any significant alterations made for 1.3 or beyond? What are some of your priorities for crafting right now, and how do you see the system developing beyond 1.3?

Daniel Erickson: The most significant 'crafting' feature in 1.3 is the addition of Augment tables that allow players to add Augments to any items. These augment slots were previously only available as a result of 'crafting crits'. This is significant for crafters because it allows the itemization team to finally fully balance the game so that crafted gear is deeply tied to, and balanced firmly against, the gear you can get from other sources, including operations rewards. The fact that crafters are the primary source for augments also gives them a new crafted good that will suddenly be high in demand.

As for moving forward, we're pretty firmly committed to keeping our crafting system viable and competitive. Players will find that almost every patch that introduces gear with power upgrades will also introduce ways for crafters to remain competitive and useful to the economy. As for larger improvements -- let's just say we have big plans.

30. - Top - End - #780

RangerGuy

Speaking of patches, whatever happened to the same-sex content I heard about a while back? Did they drop that idea or is it still in development?