New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

Ooh, I like the sound of that patch. Maybe Augment Tables will replace those ubiquitous and utterly useless Equipment Modification Workstations you see everywhere?

SSR: Still in development, last I heard. They're adding entirely new companions to avoid screwing up the chances of people who have already maxed out their affection on existing companions, so it takes more time.

In Trooper-related news - is it just me, or am I accumulating companions really, really fast? I don't think I've every had more than 1 companion past what I could send out on missions, but I'm not even level 25 - not skipping any planets - and I've got 3 of my 5 non-ship-droid companions.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-05-22 at 05:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    SSR: Still in development, last I heard. They're adding entirely new companions to avoid screwing up the chances of people who have already maxed out their affection on existing companions, so it takes more time.
    I didn't know they were adding new companions for this. I guess that means it will accompany a major content patch and a new planet.

In Trooper-related news - is it just me, or am I accumulating companions really, really fast? I don't think I've every had more than 1 companion past what I could send out on missions, but I'm not even level 25 - not skipping any planets - and I've got 3 of my 5 non-ship-droid companions.
    Troopers get their first three companions quickly. You'll get the other two later, though.

The classes are all spaced out differently as to when they get companions. There's a chart at dulfy.net, but that's websensed for me, so can't link, but roughly, broken down by companion number, companion type (no names), and planet with planet order:

Republic
    Spoiler
    Show

Knight
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Ranged Tank - Tython (1)
    2 - Melee DPS - Coruscant (2)
    3 - Healer - Balmorra (7)
    4 - Ranged DPS - Hoth (9)
    5 - Melee Tank - Hoth (9)*

* mission after planet is done

Consular
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Melee Tank - Tython (1)
    2 - Healer - Nar Shaddaa (4)
    3 - Ranged DPS - Balmorra (7)
    4 - Ranged Tank - Hoth (9)
    5 - Melee DPS - Belsavis (10)

Trooper
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Ranged DPS - Ord Mantell (1)
    2 - Healer - Taris (3)
    3 - Ranged Tank - Nar Shaddaa (4)
    4 - Melee Tank - Balmorra (7)
    5 - Melee DPS - Hoth (9)

Smuggler
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Ranged Tank - Ord Mantell (1)
    2 - Melee Tank - Nar Shaddaa (4)
    3 - Ranged DPS - Alderaan (6)
    4 - Melee DPS - Balmorra (7)
    5 - Healer - Hoth (9)

Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Warrior
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Ranged DPS - Korriban (1)
    2 - Healer - Balmorra (3)
    3 - Melee DPS - Alderaan (6)*
    4 - Ranged Tank - Taris (7)
    5 - Melee Tank - Hoth (9)

* mission after planet is done

Inquisitor
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Melee Tank - Korriban (1)
    2 - Ranged DPS - Tatooine (5)
    3 - Melee DPS - Taris (7)
    4 - Healer - Hoth (9)
    5 - Melee Tank - Voss (11)*

* Not a typo. They don't technically get a ranged tank.

Bounty Hunter
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Healer - Hutta (1)
    2 - Ranged DPS - Tatooine (5)
    3 - Melee DPS - Taris (7)
    4 - Ranged Tank - Hoth (9)
    5 - Melee Tank - Belsavis (10)

Agent
    Spoiler
    Show

1 - Ranged Tank - Hutta (1)
    2 - Melee DPS - Alderaan (6)
    3 - Healer - Taris (7)
    4 - Ranged DPS - Hoth (9)
    5 - Melee Tank - Belsavis (10)

In general, if you played Empire previously, you're going to see your companions more quickly. Some classes are really boned (Inquisitor & Smuggler) on the DPS path due to the late healers.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

I don't consider it a spoiler, but apparently some people have somehow not played characters that they're actually interested in in the six months since the game was released and are still unnecessarily anal about these things...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I notice that you have notes specifying that you get some companions on missions after completing certain planets. There should be such a note for Xalek (the SI's second tank).
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Barbarian in the Playground

I started a Trooper but didn't play it that long for various reasons. Now? I wish I had. That sounds _great_ compared to my Sniper who is midway through Tattooine. I'm seriously wishing I had more than my starter and the annoying robot.

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    The classes are all spaced out differently as to when they get companions. There's a chart at dulfy.net, but that's websensed for me, so can't link, but roughly, broken down by companion number, companion type (no names), and planet with planet order: ....
    I visit dulfy.net now and then but I don't remember that having planets numbered. Did you add that? If so, thanks! I think it's very interesting to be able to quickly compare acquisitions, e.g. 1,6,7,9,10 to 1,4,6,7,9.

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    I don't consider it a spoiler, but apparently some people have somehow not played characters that they're actually interested in in the six months since the game was released and are still unnecessarily anal about these things...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I notice that you have notes specifying that you get some companions on missions after completing certain planets. There should be such a note for Xalek (the SI's second tank).
    About that: Should we come to some level of agreement about what constitutes spoilers at this stage? Technically, yes, someone could start the game at any time in a MMO and not know most of this stuff. On the other hand, I think there's quite the difference between spoiling the class finale, the end of Act One and casually discussing something that happens on a starter planet or an unimportant side quest. It doesn't take much effort to throw spoiler tags on something, but it's also a little silly (imo) to have to tag every little thing.

5. - Top - End - #785

Quote Originally Posted by GungHo View Post
    I didn't know they were adding new companions for this. I guess that means it will accompany a major content patch and a new planet.
    That's what I heard, at least, but I'm no Bioware employee.

In general, if you played Empire previously, you're going to see your companions more quickly. Some classes are really boned (Inquisitor & Smuggler) on the DPS path due to the late healers.
    Yeah, I'd only had an Inquisitor and Agent before, so I was caught off guard by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    I started a Trooper but didn't play it that long for various reasons. Now? I wish I had. That sounds _great_ compared to my Sniper who is midway through Tattooine. I'm seriously wishing I had more than my starter and the annoying robot.
    See above, having nothing but my starter (both tanks) till planets 5+6 was annoying.

Also, I'm finding I can tolerate the Republic ship-bot (C2-N2) considerably easier than I could the Empire one (2V-R8). Something about his stuffy, robo-butler demeanor is a lot more palatable than Toovee's cringing kicked-puppy attitude.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, I'm finding I can tolerate the Republic ship-bot (C2-N2) considerably easier than I could the Empire one (2V-R8). Something about his stuffy, robo-butler demeanor is a lot more palatable than Toovee's cringing kicked-puppy attitude.
    I've heard that elsewhere too, but it's the reverse for me. Toovee's responses seem a bit shorter and more generic. Seetoo has a couple of long lines and they come across as sarcastic. Toovee can be good or bad at times, but I _loathed_ Seetoo. Of course, I should also say that I was playing my only Republic character before they fixed droids. So I had to listen to shimmersilk purse + bantha's ear repeatedly, during combat, with no regard for success or failure. It's probably much better now.
    Last edited by Valaqil; 2012-05-22 at 10:20 AM.

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I only spoilered it because of it's inane size. Didn't want to V-scroll people who already knew the info or didn't want to know for anything but what they were playing.

The only information about companions that I might consider being real spoilers are the names, especially when it somes to the Knight's and maybe the Agent's last companions, because those are good reveals. With most everyone else, it's pretty much like having a puppy who follows you to your ship.
    I visit dulfy.net now and then but I don't remember that having planets numbered. Did you add that? If so, thanks! I think it's very interesting to be able to quickly compare acquisitions, e.g. 1,6,7,9,10 to 1,4,6,7,9.
    I pretty much just wrote it up this morning, though it's presented elsewhere (and I've posted similar things on other sites). Dulfy has some jpgs where she's graphically represented the timing on a timeline. If I could get google docs to work worth a damn at work, I'd have put it in Excel and had pivots and stuff.

Of course, I should also say that I was playing my only Republic character before they fixed droids. So I had to listen to shimmersilk purse + bantha's ear repeatedly, during combat, with no regard for success or failure. It's probably much better now.
    The one that always got me was the way he'd say "your vessel is in flawless condition naturally" without the implied comma.

8. - Top - End - #788

I've heard that elsewhere too, but it's the reverse for me. Toovee's responses seem a bit shorter and more generic. Seetoo has a couple of long lines and they come across as sarcastic. Toovee can be good or bad at times, but I _loathed_ Seetoo. Of course, I should also say that I was playing my only Republic character before they fixed droids. So I had to listen to shimmersilk purse + bantha's ear repeatedly, during combat, with no regard for success or failure. It's probably much better now.
    Yeah, but how many times can you repaint your quarters with a fresh coat of paint (the same color of course, only fresher) before you either die of paint fumes or the walls start closing in one layer at a time?

Though they both appear to have an obsession with changing your dietary plans.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic Team Suffers Layoffs

Through a somewhat vague PR-speak forum post from BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka we learn that the BioWare Austin team working on Star Wars: The Old Republic has recently suffered an unspecified, but going by the wording likely not insignificant, number of layoffs. The BioWare heads assure that everyone involved is treated with "dignity, fairness and respect". It's worth noting that the word "layoffs" is never mentioned, going for a softer "restructuring".

Here's the full post:

Hey folks, since you’re reading this you may likely have heard that we’ve done some restructuring here on the SWTOR team. Sadly, we are bidding farewell to some talented, passionate and exceptionally hard-working people who helped make SWTOR a reality. Impacting people’s lives this way is always very hard, but we’re ensuring the affected people are treated with dignity, fairness and respect.

Looking back at launch, we all came together and did something historic. We executed one of the largest, most successful and stable launches of any MMO yet in industry history. That is not an easy feat for any development team or company and we are humbled and honored by our fan community’s strong support both at launch and beyond.

Looking forward, the studio remains vibrant and passionate about our many upcoming initiatives for Star Wars: The Old Republic. We still have a very substantial development team working on supporting and growing the game, and we feel we are in a strong position, with your continued involvement and feedback, to continue to build Star Wars: The Old Republic as one of the most compelling and successful online experiences in the world today. There are many strong initiatives planned for cool new content and new features that we’re excited to tell you about in the upcoming weeks and months.

Rest assured that we remain dedicated to delivering a high quality service in SWTOR to you, our fans, and we will continue to support and grow Star Wars: The Old Republic over the weeks, months and years to come.

Thanks,
    Greg and Ray
    It's always sad to hear about layoffs at a company, and I'm sure we all wish the best of luck to everyone who was affected.

10. - Top - End - #790

That's not very surprising. Even without the dip in intial subscriptions, when you transition a project from development, through go-live, and then go into support, you don't need all the same skillsets. Even if you continue development, you're not developing on the same scale as the original project. That being said, EA's general disappointment that they didn't kill WoW is going to be felt through the entire organization.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Star Wars: The Old Republic Update 1.3 and Beyond Video

BioWare Austin has rolled out another one of their "coming up in Star Wars: The Old Republic" videos, with game director James Ohlen once again stepping in to tell us about the major features being introduced in Update 1.3: Allies (a group finder, character transfers across servers, legacy perks, adaptive gear, and augment tables) while also hinting at what they're working on for "a lot more updates" that are due out this year. At the very end, we even get to see a couple pieces of concept art from future updates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq3k_ryyNRE

Analyst: Star Wars: The Old Republic "Fizzled", Amalur IP Worth $20 Million

Apparently having over a million paying subscribers isn't enough these days, as Joystiq quotes video game analyst Michael Pachter as saying that BioWare Austin's Star Wars: The Old Republic "fizzled" before he casts a shadow over the potential worth of 38 Studios' Amalur IP in the event that it winds up for sale.

"Nobody is buying MMOs after Star Wars fizzled. I think value is low, probably $20 million or so," Pachter said. "There is just no demand for game assets right now, as THQ proved when it tried to sell the Warhammer MMO. I think [Electronic Arts] could step in, since they are the publisher, so you might see some alternative way to get 38 some bridge financing."

Electronic Arts had been the publisher on the Big Huge Games developed Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but has yet to confirm it would publish 38 Studios' "Project Copernicus."

"Nope – never been an announcement on that," Jeff Brown of EA corporate communications told Joystiq. "We don't have any new announcements to make regarding 38 Studios. We enjoyed working with Curt and his team on their first game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Like game fans all over the world, we look forward to what 38 Studios creates next."

With reports out of Providence delivering an uncertain near future for the studio, it wouldn't be surprising if publishers tried to pick up the Amalur IP for pennies on the dollar. However, with documents showing that 38 Studios put up the IP as collateral against the $75 million loan, anybody trying to pick up the IP will be negotiating with the state of Rhode Island for control of Amalur.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Firbolg in the Playground

Game gains well over the mark where all the analysts say it would be profitable: it fizzles.

Game 'fizzles', ruins market.

Ladies and gentlement, a nonsequitor slippery slope. That's... an accomplishment in non-argument.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Analyst: Star Wars: The Old Republic "Fizzled", Amalur IP Worth $20 Million
    Let's play 'spot what this man is selling.'

You have three seconds to figure it out ready go done.

(Warhammer MMO made money too, incidentally.)
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2012-05-23 at 05:37 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

14. - Top - End - #794

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Let's play 'spot what this man is selling.'

You have three seconds to figure it out ready go done.

(Warhammer MMO made money too, incidentally.)
    Problem is, as the article says, even Amalur is comparatively low. The whole market is facing a downturn compared to even last year.

Even so, it's undeniable that TOR is costing EA more than it's bringing to the table. I mean look at EA's stock value in the past six months: Big uprise during the anticipation, then like a week after there was a slow, painful drop until EA as a whole has taken a roughly 25% loss in both Stock Value and Player Population(this is being generous, since weekend trial players also get counted and were only implemented later on). I mean you could attribute this to other EA games but there's nothing in the company as a whole that maps out so transparently.

The fact is that TOR has hurt EA bad. They can claim whatever numbers and priorities they want, but the raw truth is that fizzle is probably too kind a word to describe what happened to TOR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

15. - Top - End - #795

People that thought EA were lying about dev costs said 1 million would make it profitable. Unless EA over-leveraged in the assumption that they'd make the money back faster, it shouldn't have been an issue.

What *is* hurting EA is the continued internet marketing campaign featuring the... lets say platform that has a lot of ill-will towards it and keeping the barrier to entry extremely high... doesn't cut it any more. Imagine if they just implemented the Rift price scheme (the early adopters who would all pay 60 for the software are in already).

ToR makes a good whipping boy for EA, but they've got... The Amalur dud, multiple PR eggs to the face involving origin and ME3, ME3 having less staying power in sales than they planned for, and the fact that Valve hasn't given them anything recently to publish for consoles.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #796

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    People that thought EA were lying about dev costs said 1 million would make it profitable. Unless EA over-leveraged in the assumption that they'd make the money back faster, it shouldn't have been an issue.

What *is* hurting EA is the continued internet marketing campaign featuring the... lets say platform that has a lot of ill-will towards it and keeping the barrier to entry extremely high... doesn't cut it any more. Imagine if they just implemented the Rift price scheme (the early adopters who would all pay 60 for the software are in already).

ToR makes a good whipping boy for EA, but they've got... The Amalur dud, multiple PR eggs to the face involving origin and ME3, ME3 having less staying power in sales than they planned for, and the fact that Valve hasn't given them anything recently to publish for consoles.
    There's no doubting that EA's marketing has been sub par for years, and they've had a string of misfires, but TOR is without a doubt the top of the list. I mean I'm putting the dates up against all the major releases of EA I can think of and there's nothing else that correlates to such a drastic stock drop. I mean ME3 certainly caused a drop, but the drop from TOR's release to ME3's release is more drastic than the drop from ME3 to now, even counting the fact that TOR was running through all of these dates we've discussed so far.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the whole EA/Bioware thing was a horrible decision all around though. EA took a major boost the day after they joined up with Bioware, then by the anniversary of the merger EA's stocks were cut in half, ending a five year growth period and today owing to many of it's most recent and public failings, and sending it's stocks the lowest they've been since Mid '99. Though this probably isn't the fault of Bioware entirely, since just before then EA got a new CEO. Though I will again reiterate that most of these dates fall a bit too perfectly, with most of these releases and mergers having a week of growth, followed by a dramatic crash lasting months after.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-05-23 at 11:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #797

Though I will again reiterate that most of these dates fall a bit too perfectly, with most of these releases and mergers having a week of growth, followed by a dramatic crash lasting months after.
    I think it really means that the days of simply being able to buy yourself into success by way of corporate aquisition are over. No one wants to speculate any more now that everyone's been burned. That's far beyond a video game industry problem, but we're going to get off topic real quick, so I'm going to stop there.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

There's no doubting that EA's marketing has been sub par for years, and they've had a string of misfires, but TOR is without a doubt the top of the list. I mean I'm putting the dates up against all the major releases of EA I can think of and there's nothing else that correlates to such a drastic stock drop. I mean ME3 certainly caused a drop, but the drop from TOR's release to ME3's release is more drastic than the drop from ME3 to now, even counting the fact that TOR was running through all of these dates we've discussed so far.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the whole EA/Bioware thing was a horrible decision all around though. EA took a major boost the day after they joined up with Bioware, then by the anniversary of the merger EA's stocks were cut in half, ending a five year growth period and today owing to many of it's most recent and public failings, and sending it's stocks the lowest they've been since Mid '99. Though this probably isn't the fault of Bioware entirely, since just before then EA got a new CEO. Though I will again reiterate that most of these dates fall a bit too perfectly, with most of these releases and mergers having a week of growth, followed by a dramatic crash lasting months after.
    As much as I agree that EA & BioWare is a match made in Hell, and no good has come of it (nor likely ever will, nor even can)... You are aware that stock price isn't actually a measure of profitability, right? Also, are you familiar with the classic statistician's maxim, "Correlation is not Causation"?

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #799

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    As much as I agree that EA & BioWare is a match made in Hell, and no good has come of it (nor likely ever will, nor even can)... You are aware that stock price isn't actually a measure of profitability, right? Also, are you familiar with the classic statistician's maxim, "Correlation is not Causation"?
    It isn't, though unless EA reveals all their numbers we probably won't have a full picture anyways. This is just causation, but it's some rather eerie causation considering how all their releases and announcements are currently following the same pattern.

Let me run whatever numbers I can find for my best guess at how profitable TOR was in and of itself though. Keep in mind a lot of this is guesswork but whenever I have to estimate I'm trying to favor EA.

Spoiler
    Show

In terms of actual numbers lets assume that about 2 million people paid about 60 dollars, then that the number of players counted stays at an average of 1.45 million for the whole year and each pays about 15 a month. These are both incredibly generous numbers given current circumstance, but lets use them all the same. This is about 381 million altogether so far.

Cut out 35 percent, because that goes to Lucasart.

Another 30 percent goes to Simutronics as per the liscencing information on their website for providing the game engine. EA has conveniently left this part of the agreement out of most statements they give, but the information is right there on Simutronics's website under licensing.

This is generally counted as being a part of EA's 35 percent operating expenses.

Once you take those percentages off, EA has made just over 114 million off TOR counting their entire first year. Bear in mind this assumes that the subscription count's average stays where it is now and that nobody counted was on trial weekend.

That extra 30 percent makes a big difference, since it means EA won't make it's budget back until at least it's second year assuming that the subscriber numbers increase from their current population by over a hundred thousand players and fast.

EDIT: Had to account for some additional percentages.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-05-24 at 02:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800

As someone who messes with stock, and does pretty decently at it, I'm totally going to back Philistine up on this.
    Stock prices may or may not have anything to do with the success and sales of games. In the tech sector especially, quite a bit of volitility comes from public opinion/perception.
    Stock prices + games just never seems to mix. Judge a game by itself, not on the company's share value. On that same note, a good game, even one that is selling well, tends not to boost stock prices. Partly because gamers typically aren't the kind who buy and sell large amounts of game company stock.

A great example of this is actually the Activision Blizzard stock. Despite WoW losing subscribers over the last 2 years or so, the stock has actually risen year to date for the last 2 years. This is partly due to the perception that the stock is stable and has value, not necessarily because of WoW or any other particular game released by Blizzard. Why is the perception that the company is stable/has value? Could be lots of reasons. Cash flow, public presence in eSports, upcoming titles, etc. Sometimes that perception is founded, sometimes it is unfounded.

Sadly though, it does mean that egg on the face due to one game or even a few games brings down the stock prices of a successful company. Every issue that has plagued Star Wars or ME3 has been pretty noticable. Meanwhile, the company is still releasing it's sports line of games issue free, which even industry analysts know is one of the biggest and best cash cow's EA has. The stock drop is saddening, but it doesn't mean that the company is unhealthy by any means. The perception just sucks lately.

I sincerely hope that EA gets it's head in the game again. They're such a big part of the gaming industry right now that it would be a serious shame to see them stumble on hard times and to have that affect some of their titles.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic Update 1.3 Interview

The editors over at Ten Ton Hammer managed to catch up with BioWare Austin's Daniel Erickson for a quick Q&A about the new features they'll be introducing in Star Wars: The Old Republic's forthcoming Update 1.3: Allies content patch, as well as some of their plans for future patches. Unfortunately, his answers are very terse:

TTH: With patch 1.3 being mainly a quality of life patch. Can we expect more content heavy patches for 1.4 and onwards?

Daniel: Definitely.

TTH: Will there be additional space combat missions in 1.3 or will there be new space combat model overall (such as free-form space combat)? How will multiplayer space combat be handled?

Daniel: New space missions are on their way but not for 1.3 and new space combat models are something we’re deep in the prototype stages on but nothing we can talk about yet.

TTH: Will we see a level cap increase in the foreseeable future?

Daniel: We aren’t able to talk about this at this time.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

As much as I agree that EA & BioWare is a match made in Hell, and no good has come of it (nor likely ever will, nor even can)...
    I don't see how it's been bad for BioWare, considering all the big-budget games they've been able to put out over the past five years. Obviously there's no way to know what happens behind the scenes, but on the surface it seems like EA mostly just throws money at them and waits for the magic to happen.

EDIT:

Actually, they've still not specified either way on the new vs. existing companions question. They have made comments about there being various specific romance arcs they wanted to include at launch but had to cut, which (IMO) implies not only that some existing companions will be getting SSRs, but that there might be some new opposite-sex romances added along with them.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-24 at 08:32 PM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Star Wars: The Old Republic Annihilation Interview

With Drew Karpyshyn's second novel for Star Wars: The Old Republic, Annihilation, due out later this year, the game's official website is sporting a Q&A with the well-known writer about the book's premise, the main characters, how it feeds into and off of the MMO, and more. A little something to get you started:

The main protagonist of your novel is Theron Shan, who was featured in the comic book series, Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Lost Suns. Can you give us a bit of background on him and his relation to the rest of the Star Wars: The Old Republic universe?

Theron is Satele Shan's son, though she gave him up at birth to be raised by her Mentor, Ngani Zho. He's also a descendant of Revan and Bastila Shan from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game. However, Theron isn't attuned to the Force and he isn't a Jedi - he's actually one of the top field agents for Republic Strategic Information Services. This gives him a slightly different perspective on the galaxy and life in general.

Since the book takes place after Star Wars: The Old Republic, does this mean that it will provide a definitive ending to the game?

The great thing about The Old Republic universe is that there are so many great stories happening at the same time. The events of the novel comprise a stand-alone story, just as the class stories in the game. Like the class stories, Annihilation is an epic tale that has a major influence on the galactic struggle between the Empire and the Republic, but it focuses on Theron and the events surrounding his mission with the SIS and I've worked hard to make sure the book doesn't over write or negate any of the choices players make with their own class stories.

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I don't see how it's been bad for BioWare, considering all the big-budget games they've been able to put out over the past five years. Obviously there's no way to know what happens behind the scenes, but on the surface it seems like EA mostly just throws money at them and waits for the magic to happen.
    A lot of the key people at Bioware have either moved elsewhere or been split up due to the gaining of more studios. Since the teams behind the games aren't quite the same, the games themselves change. I mean bioware combat in general has sped up, romance arcs began to become much more priority, equipment is becoming more prominent, and the amount of control the player has over the story has decreased dramatically. I mean aside from the mass effect ending scandal look at the controversies over how DA2 seemed to ignore player actions from DA1 if they were inconvenient, or how TOR gave canon names and faces and voices to the earlier protagonists that couldn't be affected like they were in KOTOR 2.

All this generally came after EA stepped in and restructured bioware, so it's generally attributed to be the cause of it. Whatever actually caused it, the fact is a good chunk of lead roles from Dragon Age 1/2 and MA2 and 3, as well as TOR, didn't have the same people as earlier games. Just checking through IMDB a lot of the senior and lead writers and artists didn't really have all that much experience with bioware pre-ea.

A lot of the more unpopular team members like Hepler also became prominent around that time.

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Why does everyone think that just because EA throws money at Bioware, it's good for Bioware? Everyone thinks that money comes without strings.

Yes, money is thrown, value is to be gained by Bioware. On the other hand, that money is also probably used for development budget. SWTOR was a very expensive game to make, make no mistake. Odds are EA fronted all the cash, which is good. How much of that back is Bioware seeing? Likely not much. And now they've had layoffs. They were probably expecting to get more money, more funding, hire more people. Not the inverse. On paper, Bioware may even be in the net positive from all this, but I highly doubt it.

When EA throws money at Bioware to make Star Wars, the question to ask is:
    Is Bioware even seeing any of that revenue stream once Lucas and EA take their cuts? Is that revenue just fronting the servers and further development, or is it actually profit to Bioware above and beyond their operational budget for the project, to the point that one would call growth?
    If they are laying people off, odds are the answer is no.

This goes back to industry analysts and the stock price. A company that isn't growing isn't worth buying and holding. A company that is possibly shrinking is usually not a buy.

Again, I really hope EA gets this sorted out some day soon. They aren't too big to fail but they are big, and the loss of a big videogame company would not be a good thing.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-05-25 at 11:13 AM.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Again, I really hope EA gets this sorted out some day soon. They aren't too big to fail but they are big, and the loss of a big videogame company would not be a good thing.
    From EA's list of upcoming stuff it looks like they've got a lot of big stuff coming out in 2014/15ish and maybe a bit later. Odds are they were planning on using their profits from their current stable of releases to fund the development of that big stuff down the line. However with TOR looking like it wouldn't make a reasonable profit until 2013 for them even under their initial estimates and probably not until 2014 if things keep going south, I'm thinking they're gonna have some real problems with funding unless EA sports, Overstrike, and Medal of Honor all manage to do really well.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

We interrupt this speculation on the financial situation of Electronic Arts to bring you this important Usually Lawful Evil News Bulletin;

PROPOSED EVENT: Usually Lawful Evil Operation run: Karraga's Palace!

Time: TBD
    More information: All level 50 (because you can't enter an operation at level <50) characters on Rubat Crystal are welcome. Please install Mumble prior to the event. Please post rough times you would be available in GMT.

Honestly, for me, it's mostly a matter of scheduling so that I'm open for whatever time we decide on.

EDIT: Bioware is offering people the chance to Copy one character over to the Public Test Server for 1.3, potentially as a guild Do we want to participate?
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-05-26 at 10:04 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #808
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    We interrupt this speculation on the financial situation of Electronic Arts to bring you this important Usually Lawful Evil News Bulletin;

PROPOSED EVENT: Usually Lawful Evil Operation run: Karraga's Palace!

Time: TBD
    More information: All level 50 (because you can't enter an operation at level <50) characters on Rubat Crystal are welcome. Please install Mumble prior to the event. Please post rough times you would be available in GMT.
    Count me in. Times available: Uh, pretty much anytime over this weekend or after 10 PM GMT any night but Thursday.

Bioware is offering people the chance to Copy one character over to the Public Test Server for 1.3, potentially as a guild Do we want to participate?
    Hmm, looks intriguing. If we wanted to get copied over all at once, we'd have to coordinate it, but I don't think that's a huge deal. If we were raiding or something and needed coordination, it would matter more, but since we're a small group having all of us in wouldn't be much better or worse than having half, really.

I'll fill out the form tomorrow, unless people strongly want to stick together, in which case I'll wait till we can be better coordinated.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Yes, money is thrown, value is to be gained by Bioware. On the other hand, that money is also probably used for development budget. SWTOR was a very expensive game to make, make no mistake. Odds are EA fronted all the cash, which is good. How much of that back is Bioware seeing? Likely not much. And now they've had layoffs. They were probably expecting to get more money, more funding, hire more people. Not the inverse. On paper, Bioware may even be in the net positive from all this, but I highly doubt it.

When EA throws money at Bioware to make Star Wars, the question to ask is:
    Is Bioware even seeing any of that revenue stream once Lucas and EA take their cuts? Is that revenue just fronting the servers and further development, or is it actually profit to Bioware above and beyond their operational budget for the project, to the point that one would call growth?
    If they are laying people off, odds are the answer is no.
    I'm a bit confused, what exactly do you mean by "profit to BioWare?" They and EA are technically the same company, so any money directed towards them is, by definition, "development budget." The size of that budget as compared to revenues from the game is definitely an important subject, and I'm pretty sure it's what you're talking about, but your wording makes it sound like you're implying that BioWare as a developer sits around on any cash beyond what goes towards paying for their staff and equipment/facilities.

-----

On a different note, the new Community Q&A focused on 1.3 is up. Lots of good information, including the surprising bit that "Ranked Warzones is on track for 1.3" (pending PTS testing of course).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Tentative date for the Usually Lawful Evil Karraga's Palace run is 2:00 AM GMT Sunday (that's 8 PM US Central Time).

Things you should do if you're interested;
    1) Contact Hessar with the in game message system to let me know you're participating, and what role you'll be playing (Healer, DPS, or Tank). If you have a level 50 character and are NOT participating, I would also appreciate an in-game message, just so I don't plan on you showing up.
    2) Install Mumble and test that it works.
    3) Stock up on medpacs (Exceptional medpacs from the vendor, or better, player crafted versions, please)

Things you should probably do, but I'm not going to require anyone to do;
    1) Find several high level prototype stims. I'm checking to see if anyone in the guild has a source, but these are very helpful in case anyone dies mid fight or anything like that.
    2) Watch a video walkthrough of the flashpoint for your role.
    3) While I'm not going to set a gear requirement, every improvement you make to your current gear means this will go that much smoother.

If you have any issues with the time, and would like to see about rescheduling, please post here or use the in game message system to contact Hessar.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe