New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic II: Hutts don't have feet!

What happened to shadow/assassin tanks?

Commandos got some nice buffs though. I'm a happy Trooper right now.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-06-26 at 12:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What happened to shadow/assassin tanks?

Commandos got some nice buffs though. I'm a happy Trooper right now.
    Dark Charge now generates 100% additional threat while active. The healing generated from this ability has been reduced by approximately 50%. Its armor bonus has been reduced to 115% (down from 150%).

Harnessed Darkness: The healing generated by Force Lightning has been reduced to 8% total (down from 12%).
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #873

Ah. Yeah, that's unfortunate.

On the other hand, Forex is the most hilarious companion I've seen yet (though admittedly that's limited to Inquisitor, Agent, and Trooper).

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

Forex is pretty great, yeah. If you have a security authenticator, the security key vendor on Ilum has a pretty sweet customization for him.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

An Explanation of the tank nerfs;

1) Threat generation: Majorly buffed. THis is kind of nice... But the fact is, any tank worth their salt shouldn't have been having any threat generation problems by the time they hit level 35 or so.

2) Assassin tanks: Assassin tanks got reduced armor rating and reduced self healing. Biowares's stance was that they misbalanced, and that giving Assassins the same base armor as other tanks and self healing was a mistake. A good number of other people, however, are upset because theorycrafting currently emphasizes damage reduction over anything else, and Assassins had less of that than other tanks already because their talents focus on shield/absorb and defense.

3) Juggernaught Tanks: RAGE Pure immortal tanks got stomped into the dust as far as damage goes (Yes, this is relevant. Assuming equal survivability and threat generation, the optimal choice for a tank will be the one with the highest damage potential, now that armor debuffs no longer stack). -6% to all melee damage, Backhand has reduced damage, and Crushing blow got changed from doing more damage when the enemy has 5 stacks of armor reduction, to an AoE when they have 5 stacks of armor reduction. How many end-game fights is this relevant in? I honestly can't think of one in any operations (although admittadly I haven't run explosive content yet), and only a small handful of hard mode flashpoints. Just to rub salt in the wound, the cooldown reduction on our CC breaker got replaced with giving smash 4 stacks of armor reduction (again, much less important now that they don't stack), Basically, at this point, you need to go with the 17/24/0 build, and that has rage generation issues because of not getting the reduction to Soresu proc times.

EDIT: Actually, there's enough wiggle room for 16-18 points in Immortal, with 23-25 points in Vengeance. 16/25 will probably have the highest damage due to 2 points in Savagery, while 18/23 will have a little better survivability due to sonic Barrier. Generally speaking, the talent point choices are 3 points split between Force grip (Generate an extra 3 rage each minute, 1 point), Sonic Barrier (Damage Absorption, 2 points), or Savagery (+60% Force Scream and Vicious throw crit every time you use impale, 2 points). Given that the latter 2 are proc-based (with 100% proc rate a 2 points), it's probably going to be force grip plus one or the other.

4) Vanguards: Again, Bioware wants (non-assassin) tanks to be stuck with very little damage output. Vanguard tanks got -12% crit chance with Stock STrike and Explosive Surge and -30% Crit damage with those two abilities (Ion cell damage also may have gotten hit. Not sure). At least this time Bioware gave actual new stuff instead of just taking, though, since it did come with +12% damage to explosive surge (And charging makes the next two explosive surges free), and High Impact bolt triggers ion cell (in a smart AoE burst, no less)
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-06-27 at 11:42 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

So I finally got around to starting with level 50 warzones yesterday. There's definitely a difference when everyone has all their abilities and skill points, but the learning curve is pretty nonexistant so far.

I have to say, so far I'm not seeing what the big deal is with Assassin/Shadow tanks. Even with the nerfs they're a pain to kill with fewer than three people, but that's how a tank is supposed to be, and the damage they deal back isn't nearly what people like to say it is. Marauder/Sentinels are harder to tell, since all the ones I've fought so far have been on either the giving or receiving end of a focus-fire. I have had Vanguards drop me in about five seconds, though.

One of my favorite things to do, by the way, is use Whirlwind and Electrocute to stop two people at once from interrupting a capture. I've already managed to snag two wins just by doing that.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    4) Vanguards: Again, Bioware wants (non-assassin) tanks to be stuck with very little damage output. Vanguard tanks got -12% crit chance with Stock STrike and Explosive Surge and -30% Crit damage with those two abilities (Ion cell damage also may have gotten hit. Not sure). At least this time Bioware gave actual new stuff instead of just taking, though, since it did come with +12% damage to explosive surge (And charging makes the next two explosive surges free), and High Impact bolt triggers ion cell (in a smart AoE burst, no less)
    Dont be fooled. Ion cell proc and dot does no measurable damage with a big threat modifier and talented snare. Theres no damage boost from the aoe proc from HiB/RS, and it will mess up cc in the real world because it is a dot. Doesn't matter so much if the first hit misses cc if anything near you/your target cant be cc'd. The explosive surge/flame burst damage change is sort of a wash. The only thing thats is new and functional are the free surges from storming a target, and its mostly useful for regenerating ammo while keeping pressure on. Which, shield spec wasnt ammo/heat starved anyway so...

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

When are MMO designers going to get wise, and stop trying to shoehorn PVP into PVE games? This patch basically flushes the fun-factor of PVE tanks into the toilet, turning them into glorified taunt-bots, all for the sake of some of the dumbest PVP combat I've ever seen in a game.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

ACtually, I don't think these were PvP driven. Tanks in general aren't a huge deal in PvP right now (There are complaints about Assassins, but their damage and utility weren't addressed, which was the issue there). If I had to guess, the more casual crowd was frustrated with difficulties with tanking multiple threats while leveling.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-06-29 at 03:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    ACtually, I don't think these were PvP driven. Tanks in general aren't a huge deal in PvP right now (There are complaints about Assassins, but their damage and utility weren't addressed, which was the issue there). If I had to guess, the more casual crowd was frustrated with difficulties with tanking multiple threats while leveling.
    Pretty much this. According to the "Class Changes and Balancing in 1.3" dev blog from earlier this month, most of the tank changes are meant to help with AoE threat. Doesn't say anything regarding the damage nerfs, though. My best guess is that it's to compensate for all the threat buffs so tanks still have to do some work.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

11. - Top - End - #881

So, looking for equipment advice. My Commando Alexmurphy just hit 50, and I'm looking for as close a helmet match as I can find to his cyborgian namesake. Right now I've got the Tempered Laminoid Helmet:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Picture is of a female toon, but the best I could find)

An acceptable match as long as you're viewing from the front and can't see the pointy protrusion on the back end, but I'm in search of something more round, as long as it keeps the opaque top-half-of-face covered look. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-06-30 at 05:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

So, looking for equipment advice. My Commando Alexmurphy just hit 50, and I'm looking for as close a helmet match as I can find to his cyborgian namesake. Right now I've got the Tempered Laminoid Helmet:
    Spoiler
    Show

(Picture is of a female toon, but the best I could find)

An acceptable match as long as you're viewing from the front and can't see the pointy protrusion on the back end, but I'm in search of something more round, as long as it keeps the opaque top-half-of-face covered look. Any suggestions?
    Your best bet is probably the Lacquerous Mesh Helmet:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #883

Is there any way to tint that visor so it's black instead of green?

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Is there any way to tint that visor so it's black instead of green?
    Maybe if you match colors to the right chestpiece?

Alternatively, you could check TOR-Fashion.com and see if there's anything else you like. Yes, that is a website.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-07-01 at 03:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #885

A handy website, too. It looks like the Commando Elite helmet is the only possible match, I'll have to find one and try it on.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, I haven't played this game due to computer not being capable of running it. Want to give it a shot when my new laptop comes in next week. I also have a friend who's interested in trying the game.

However, while looking around we noticed that apparently you get a 4day free trial normally, or with a friend invite, get a 7 day trial. A given person can send up to 25 of these 7 day trials out from their account. I was wondering if anyone has a couple of trial invites they would be willing to spare to give us a shot at the game, or if we should stick to the 4 day?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I could probably send one to you guys if you give me the info I need.

In other news, I got to go through a KP run, although we disbanded on the Fabricator because doing it without chat (late nite chat lag is no fun at all) seemed impossible.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Maybe if you match colors to the right chestpiece?

Alternatively, you could check TOR-Fashion.com and see if there's anything else you like. Yes, that is a website.
    Excellent reference, Sith_Happens! Thank you very much. Of course, what I'm really hoping SW:TOR gets is a wardrobe application, like wowhead.com has for World of Warcraft.

Now I have my body-type 4 bounty hunter in Professional gear, with the Hunter's Renowned helmet, he looks like a grade-A mook!

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Well this is fun:
    At the end of this month, all characters on a destination server or Asia-Pacific server will get an exclusive minipet and 25 Black Hole commendations.

Yes, that includes both characters that have already been transferred and characters that were created on a destination (or Asia-Pacific) server. "All" means all.

20. - Top - End - #890

Well this is fun:
    At the end of this month, all characters on a destination server or Asia-Pacific server will get an exclusive minipet and 25 Black Hole commendations.

Yes, that includes both characters that have already been transferred and characters that were created on a destination (or Asia-Pacific) server. "All" means all.
    How adorable.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

How adorable.
    Yeah, Bioware's attempts to get the origin servers entirely vacated so they can take them down without having to go through a forced transfer PR disaster in the making are pretty adorable.
    Swoop Falcon

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why shouldn't they encourage behaviour that helps their bottom line? I say good on them, though I do wish they'd spread the server among 1 or 2 more systems. Queueing up to play is no fun.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Why shouldn't they encourage behaviour that helps their bottom line? I say good on them, though I do wish they'd spread the server among 1 or 2 more systems. Queueing up to play is no fun.
    1. Alt+Tab to GiantITP.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

1. Alt+Tab to GiantITP.
    2. ???
    3. Profit.

Actually, I usually just break out my work laptop and tap on that while I watch the queue drain.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

So last night I took down Gargath for the first time. By which I mean that we and a Republic op fought over him for an hour until we got enough people to burn him down in the ~2-3 minutes it took the Pubs to get back from each wipe. Fun times.

The Hoth bonus series I was much less impressed with:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So the idea is for me to use my proven capabilities as a one man army to trick the Republic into thinking that the top Imperial special forces squad is back from the dead. Sounds awesome. But then the actual questline ends up consisting entirely of
    1. Blowing up a suprisingly lightly guarded snowspeeder/APC.
    2. Killing some spy droids.
    3. Killing some ice fangs.

Seriously, if those are the kinds of assignments that the actual Bane Brigade got stuck with, then they're probably better off dead anyways.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-07-09 at 03:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896

Eh, the Republic ones aren't a lot better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Supposedly, Republic troops are being slaughtered left and right by a mysterious force that doesn't show up on sensors. So, you:
    -Go collect sensor data.
    -Blow up some completely unrelated signal jammers.
    -Go murder Darth Doolittle in a cave, along with some assorted animals.

Oh, and before you leave, basically out of nowhere is a decision where you tell the general he should deploy bioweapons against the Imperials or not.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, the Republic ones aren't a lot better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Supposedly, Republic troops are being slaughtered left and right by a mysterious force that doesn't show up on sensors. So, you:
    -Go collect sensor data.
    -Blow up some completely unrelated signal jammers.
    -Go murder Darth Doolittle in a cave, along with some assorted animals.

Oh, and before you leave, basically out of nowhere is a decision where you tell the general he should deploy bioweapons against the Imperials or not.
    At least in that case the objectives more or less match the story context.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

So that refer-a-friend speeder seems nifty, rank 1 speeder so you can use it at 25 (or 10 if you snag the per-character legacy thing), but it has the speed/knockoff resistance of a rank 3.
    Swoop Falcon

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, I finally got my Mercenary to level 50, and thanks to an ample budget and a cybertech alt, I've got him decked out in enough custom gear modded with purples that he's nearly at 1600 Aim already. Good stuff. I'm even tempted to PVP with him, to see how much reality there is to the 'Mercs are gimp' whining I see incessantly on the SWTOR forums.

The question I have is about Accuracy. Now the formula page on the forum seems to assert that the only attack that uses your base accuracy is your level 1 free attack, ie: Rapid Shots for the Bounty Hunter, and all other attacks use a base of 100% accuracy.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forum...R-formula-list

Can anyone here confirm that? The post there definitely looks like the most exhaustive I've seen, but I've never seen anything corroborating it from Bioware.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    The question I have is about Accuracy. Now the formula page on the forum seems to assert that the only attack that uses your base accuracy is your level 1 free attack, ie: Rapid Shots for the Bounty Hunter, and all other attacks use a base of 100% accuracy.

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forum...R-formula-list

Can anyone here confirm that? The post there definitely looks like the most exhaustive I've seen, but I've never seen anything corroborating it from Bioware.
    As I understand it, Melee/Ranged attacks (the ones that do white damage numbers) start at 90% accuracy, while Tech/Force attacks (the ones that do yellow damage numbers) start at 100% accuracy.

Assuming merc was the empire version of the commando, you have something like 3 Ranged attacks you're actually likely to be using. Hammer shot/rapid shots, Full Auto/Unload, and High Impact Bolt/Rail shot
    Swoop Falcon