New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unsounded, quite possibly the (2nd) best webcomic I have seen.

There's definitely something wrong with the khert.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Talking coffee would certainly wake ME up in the morning!
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

So, there is a Lady Toma...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Spoiler
    Show
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Why is Duane so quiet? This is worrying....

Here, have a smile:

Games I'm running:
    City of Thorns
    A Time of Need

Note: I may not be posting everyday, due to real life problems.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jukebox Hero View Post
    Why is Duane so quiet? This is worrying....
    We're only learning recently that he's basically out of the game at night as a side effect of his zombiefication, and this is the first time we actually see what happens to him. If they were threatened, she might be able to unleash him from the spell that allows her to control him at night, but I don't think anybody would be happy with the results.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

Just reading through the archives. This is great. Not just the art either. I think the writing has a lot of depth.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    We're only learning recently that he's basically out of the game at night as a side effect of his zombiefication, and this is the first time we actually see what happens to him. If they were threatened, she might be able to unleash him from the spell that allows her to control him at night, but I don't think anybody would be happy with the results.
    Uh no .... no, he has trouble controlling his feeding urge at night. This is entirely different. This is the necklace/amulet/thing Sette wears. Remember she said 'I think it's time for me to be in charge for a while'?

This is her, in charge. She has switched him off.

I'm sure it'll go over well, too - Duane will surely not be upset that Nary-a-Care gave Sette a remote for him.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

ohohoheheheh!

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew that Ephsephin would have died, sooner or later, but this was unexpected. +1 for the excellent Chekov's gun!
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Wait.

People don't like Sette?
    Well, I do, it's the best thing in the whole comic.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    ohohoheheheh!

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew that Ephsephin would have died, sooner or later, but this was unexpected. +1 for the excellent Chekov's gun!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know, right? I think Jivi tried to poison him with the rat-exploding pymaric way back in Chapter 2 I think. And then when I saw him furtively messing with Epsephin's bottle I figured he was gonna try it again. In the last update Jivi's incredibly nervous expression as the bastard was about to take a drink convinced me fully, and now... PING. Dead.

Jivi looks pretty freaked out anyway, seeing as how he's still just a kid and that's a pretty gruesome way to kill someone, but imagine if Ephsephin had taken him up on his suggestion to find the guard and turn over Starfish. Not bloody likely to happen, but I wonder if Jivi would've felt a little guilt about killing someone in the act of slightly redeeming himself. Of course, he shouldn't feel guilty, IMO everyone has a right and... duty? imperative?... to escape captivity by any means necessary (side note: I freaking loved it when Belkar was killing his way out of false imrpisonment in Azure City) but it would still be a pretty harrowing thing to see happen. Poor Jivi looks freaked out enough as is. Mixed with a healthy dose of "Holy [expletive] that actually worked."

I love this comic. I feel like the author does a really great job with moral ambiguity. Or, with morally complex characters? Sette is brash and appalingly opportunistic, but is clearly growing more compassionate and nuanced. And she's still a parentally mistreated 12 year old girl. The Red Berry Boys are pretty much uniformly scum, but they're believable scum.

Similarly, Duane could come off as a little too noble and Good with a capital alignment G, but it's believable because that is rare enough in the comic (and real life, maybe?) and it seems to naturally grow out of his experiences. And for me at least it is balanced a bit by his apparent support for physically abusing children (in the comic very early on he vents frustration at Sette by saying it would please him to put her over his knee, and in the Duane & Sette Formspring Q&A he both threatens to whip her with a belt and recommends that teachers "carry a stave" about with them to keep pupils in line.) Personally I regard this as very hard to sympathize with or forgive, but I get the impression it's kind of to suggest that Duane is a bit of an anachronism. Not that the overall society seems to be that progressive anyway. But even so I can't help but love Duane, he is by and large a truly heroic character.

On a similar note, the amibiguity and differences of opinion about the governments of Cresce and Alderode is similarly well-handled. Cresce, depending on who you ask, is either a peace-keeping progressive nation with remarkable gender equality, or an aggressively territorial and tyrannical empire. And Alderode is either the most civilized, cultured and refined nation on the continent or a deeply racist theocracy. And it seems, in another true-to-life way, that all these points of view are basically correct. *contented sigh* I love this comic.
    Last edited by Gnome Alone; 2012-08-06 at 07:12 PM.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing about Duane is that, while obviously good, he has clearly bought into his own governments propaganda whole sale, and does not further question it. This is even the basic premise of his fight with Quigley.

And to my eye, Alderode is not the good guys - that would be Cresce. Or, well, as likeable and obviously good as capt. Toma is, it stands to reason that he might be every bit as blindly dancing to the tune of his governments propagande as is Duane.

I also find it a little amusing how many insist on making moral judgements based on todays morals, rather than the morals of the time - or that portrayed in the comic.

The time period portrayed (even if spiced with fantasy) would have unflinchingly accepted - even expected - parents to beat their children, husbands to beat their wives, masters their apprentices, officers their recruits, basically ... just everyone exchanging a few good beatings now and again with very little justification - seen with the eyes of our enlightened age.

I see it as a tool. Duane is reluctant to do what is clearly accepted generally. Quigley less so. Ephsephin - by comparison - has very little restraint where it comes to physical solutions to inter-human relations. And so on.

So it's a way to differentiate the characters in terms of morals and restraint.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Fight!

Mathis is tired and (speaking in D&D’s terms) he’s falling behind in terms of round-action economy. I believe that, actually (barring something unespected), his best chance is to escape with Matty…
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Today's 2-page update shows why this is one of my favorite webcomics. Brilliant use of unusual visual cues and taking advantage of the fact that it is a webcomic. That and some really great details throughout the past few pages in both character and plot.

Which makes it a very appropriate update for Ashley to announce the Kickstarter for the printing of Volume 1 with the first 3 chapters in book form.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

That was decisely an impressive entry...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    Brilliant use of unusual visual cues
    Indeed.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-09-20 at 06:23 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Why did Duane and Quigley fight instead of Duane offering Quigley something like the silver in the corpse ?bombs? or Quigley thinking that up or Duane going to the Cresce soldiers? Duane is crazy determined to get starfish but takes the time to have a punch up with a mage that may kill him. Same goes for Quigley because Quigley has the son he should think of first.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The dialogue is incredibly well written, the story engaging, and the art absolutely beautiful.

Thank you for introducing me to this comic.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Concerning Sette

She was very annoying in the opening chapters. Some of that obnoxiousness was justified later when we learned she was intentionally trying to make sure Duane didn't learn exactly how far west they had traveled, but that doesn't excuse attacking the elemental thing in the first chapter.

Somebody earlier complained about an overuse of the "Mysterious Past". Only Duane really falls into that category, just about every other character has either had their past well explained, or, even if we don't know the exact details, it isn't really that important (For example, I don't think we really need to know Starfish's Backstory).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

The art of this comic is outstanding. Full color and tons of detail. You can tell a lot of work went into it.

The story...gets off to a really slow start. The initial plot needs some kind of event to grab the reader's attention, because the chapter 1 pacing is snail-like. I almost gave up on the story after the first chapter, glad I kept reading because it does get better!

Now this battle they are doing right now is pretty epic. They've pretty much smashed up the warehouse they are in and massive magical mayhem is still going on. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Duane's on the run again!
    Sadly, we had to wait 'til november 21st for the next chapter...
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

This does look good, I'm going to give it a read.

It kind of reminds me of a friend's comic, By Moon Alone
    http://bymoonalone.com/

I think BMA sets the bar higher artistically, but this one still looks good.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

The new chapter has already begun. Just saying.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I like the husband already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

New updates, 3 pages in a row, and...

Spoiler
    Show
    err, Duane?

Yeah, definitely, you're not human.
    Do I contradict myself?

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Sette better leave a nice tip.

25. - Top - End - #85

The "got him tied up" is another little reminder that Sette isn't nearly as horrible as she tries to be.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

I check back after missing a few updates and ohgodwhat.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sette fell into Duane's shadow...

This can't be good...

28. - Top - End - #88

I was thinking Duane was infected but now I'm wat.

Wat.
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2013-01-16 at 09:51 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized "The Happy Tentacle" was a service on the part of the hotel.

Wow... Just... wow...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Definitely not a place for Yuki (of Menage a 3).