The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVIII: Nopony Expects Sponish Pinquisition!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Thanqol Philosophical debates are. Eat philosophical debates. It's interesting being on the receiving end of such selfless antagonism.
    SiuiS philosophical debates are occasionally highlighted by your failure to purchase a real computer.

Again, it depends on how you define thinking. Does the mind exist separate from thinking? Yes and no. As a function of parallel processing on a gross level, the mind does not exist. It is an artefact of how rains compile information. Once the circuit stops, it's wiped.

The difference between thought and not thought would perforce be as arbitrary as the difference between thought and action. To use your later bit, it exists only because we needed to define the concept, and caused frission. A human being is a human being. Mind body and soul, humors and vapors and biomedical and meridian and Ayurvedic systems are all paradigms, frames of reference for joint understanding and transmission of data.
    Humanity is different from thought. I think humanity ultimately stems from the desire to communicate.

Of what is a pony? Is it the colors on the screen given animation by usual scan rate? Does your conception and memory of them matter at all?
    These two have discrete answers if I recall. Thy seem like trite rephrasings of standard first-year philosoph questions. But I think thy help with my point.
    A pony is a marshmallow with attitude.

This will require reflection.
    Cicero was said to have trained his orator's voice by shouting down the ocean. I think that's my favourite training scene of all time.

There is too much to say here for there to be meaningful discussion. Trust that unless breaking people down so they could restructure minimally and efficiently is a Thyrsus trait, I have come a long way in a short time - about a year and a half.
    Anything can be in any path. Paths aren't what you do. It's why you do it.

Not a rebuttal, but an obfuscation. It doesn't matter that language facilitates thought about thought. It is still thought about thought. And as I can still (though rarely, nowadays) think entirely without words, and ind structuring my thoughts in language to be tedious at times, that thought itself is not a function of language. Unless we accept that I am unique in this regard.
    Good catch on the obfuscation. We can change our own programming. Even though I can't comprehend my limits, I can be people who can.

Possibly true, and possibly false.
    Either way, big words coming from one who sails the purple lake of loneliness.
    Mask: *Turns bright red.* "fine you win just shut up"

I never applied it; I murdered it and used its corpse as a stepping stool to get a bit farther up Parnassus. For me it wasn't really useful knowledge by itself, but it did force me to examine everything I was doing critically and come to a conclusion that I can't meaningfully articulate in words. The uselessness of the paradox was useful.
    Good man. Words only have the value we give them, and that you could use them to produce value is a good thing.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-19 at 02:59 AM.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post

Also where did the Pinkie Pie being related to Loki thing start?
    Pinkie Pie and her relationship to Loki is explained here...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I never applied it; I murdered it and used its corpse as a stepping stool to get a bit farther up Parnassus. For me it wasn't really useful knowledge by itself, but it did force me to examine everything I was doing critically and come to a conclusion that I can't meaningfully articulate in words. The uselessness of the paradox was useful.
    Neat. I envy your ability to say that so clearly. Which is probably ironic.

I like arguing with you, so I tried really hard to find some cracked ground in that post, but I couldn't, and I don't think this is a great place to go deeper into whatever "letting something else take over" means. Thoughts aren't "potentials." They're every bit the action a bowel movement is, and usually every bit as important.
    Ah, now I fear I have shifted the tone of things, when I only meant that the general principles from or prior conversation applied. Sorry.

Letting something else take over... Is it possible to train music to the point of being a reflex? Where the sensory input hits the base of the skull by doesn't go much farther, like when you get hit in the knee? That would literally( I think, be letting something else take over.

Also, and sorry I'd this is pedantic, but I came up against a wall when thinking through how to answer you. What is an action? All the definitions I could think of we're wrong. Which is a segue, luckily, as being ignorant tends to make me uncomfortable.

Almost everything looks different when viewed closely and critically. My contention is that while everyone else tends to discard the initial, more symbolic impression for the in-depth one, I recognize that sometimes te layperson's view is more broadly useful. It's just hard to find balance, as people gravitate towards disturbing ignorance, or utterly discarding the rind when they get to the meats of the science fruit.

I find your description of thought as action powerful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    SiuiS philosophical debates are occasionally highlighted by your failure to purchase a real computer.
    Sometimes? Besides, it's only a failure if said purchase is a success
    Yeah ok I've got nothin'.

Humanity is different from thought. I think humanity ultimately stems from the desire to communicate.
    My initial premise is to disagree but that is a much more elegant solution.

I was more drawing attention to differing viewpoints not being unequal.

A pony is a marshmallow with attitude.
    I thought that was a power ranger? Oh wait teenager my bad.

Anything can be in any path. Paths aren't what you do. It's why you do it.
    I know that. I can only assume that my response was inadequate. This is further clouded by my not being able to tell you. At best guess, I do what I do to help humanity grow. To strengthen my tribe, but not at expense of others. Being top of the heap is an outdated model, though a strong one. I have difficulty shaking it. I have difficulty wanting to shake it.

Good catch on the obfuscation. We can change our own programming. Even though I can't comprehend my limits, I can be people who can.
    I'm kicking myself because I thought the same thing yesterday, almost exactly. Except as a paragraph and not a sentence. You win this round, Thanqol.

Mask: *Turns bright red.* "fine you win just shut up"
    If it makes you feel better, it's just because I'm jealous. That lake was a damn master stroke, as was being prepared for such an eventuality.

Good man. Words only have the value we give them, and that you could use them to produce value is a good thing.
    Fourth iteration response: ow.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

I counter with an appeal to the Philosophy of Language - are we thinking about thinking or are we thinking about an idea we correlate with thinking? When you think about thinking you're doing it in the structures of language, which means you're thinking about words and are confined by the limitations of your words.
    I don't want to get into the full philosophical debate, because as far as personal views go we are likely to be worlds apart. However, I would like to state that in my opinion, if I were thinking within the limitations of my language, I would not have so much difficulty putting my thoughts into coherent words. I resort to internal dialogue and debate just to get a handle on the concepts that form in my head sometimes. Perhaps that's because I'm very far from being a writer. And because my vocabulary isn't particularly expansive, in both languages I know.

In addition, it may just be me going crazy. It's one thing to have an internal debate with yourself. It's another thing entirely to have lengthy mental discussions with an array of virtual characters. Once you get to the point where you are getting helpful psychological advice from an imaginary psychologist, it may be too late to seek out actual professional help. :P The fact that said psychologist "just happens" to take the form of a lavender unicorn pony doesn't help matters at all, but is at least explainable, all other things considered.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

5. - Top - End - #245

My initial premise is to disagree but that is a much more elegant solution.

I'm kicking myself because I thought the same thing yesterday, almost exactly. Except as a paragraph and not a sentence. You win this round, Thanqol.

Transmute Philosophy to Catchphrase . Prime 4.

I know that. I can only assume that my response was inadequate. This is further clouded by my not being able to tell you. At best guess, I do what I do to help humanity grow. To strengthen my tribe, but not at expense of others. Being top of the heap is an outdated model, though a strong one. I have difficulty shaking it. I have difficulty wanting to shake it.
    Hmm, your political ideals are more emblematic of Orders (Adamantine Arrow, by the way). Path is enlightenment; your path to the Supernal. It's not a case of what you want to achieve but something deeper than that, the baseline why you do things.

If it makes you feel better, it's just because I'm jealous. That lake was a damn master stroke, as was being prepared for such an eventuality.
    Makes you wonder what other scenarios I've prepared for, doesn't it?

Fourth iteration response: ow.
    Victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    I don't want to get into the full philosophical debate, because as far as personal views go we are likely to be worlds apart. However, I would like to state that in my opinion, if I were thinking within the limitations of my language, I would not have so much difficulty putting my thoughts into coherent words. I resort to internal dialogue and debate just to get a handle on the concepts that form in my head sometimes. Perhaps that's because I'm very far from being a writer. And because my vocabulary isn't particularly expansive, in both languages I know.
    Consider dreams. Why is it when you try to explain a dream to someone else using words that it always feels so inadequate? So disjointed? Like you're not doing justice to the dream, and at the end of the explanation you feel kind of silly?

The point is that sometimes thought surpasses all words, familiar structures, and all the context that makes language possible.

In addition, it may just be me going crazy. It's one thing to have an internal debate with yourself. It's another thing entirely to have lengthy mental discussions with an array of virtual characters. Once you get to the point where you are getting helpful psychological advice from an imaginary psychologist, it may be too late to seek out actual professional help. :P The fact that said psychologist "just happens" to take the form of a lavender unicorn pony doesn't help matters at all, but is at least explainable, all other things considered.
    We don't take kindly to split personalities around these parts. Do we girls?

*Thanqol smiles vaguely as he stares blankly into space*

You sure told him!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, now I fear I have shifted the tone of things, when I only meant that the general principles from or prior conversation applied. Sorry.

Letting something else take over... Is it possible to train music to the point of being a reflex? Where the sensory input hits the base of the skull by doesn't go much farther, like when you get hit in the knee? That would literally( I think, be letting something else take over.
    Yeah, but that's part of the thing I can't really explain. The best I can get at is that you need to train enough that you can play something on reflex without any kind of deliberative mental process so that the mechanics of it don't get in the way of the art of it. It feels sort of like an engine that you only have to get started for it to do all the work, but I argue that it only feels like that. It's still my brain making every little decision, they've just become really easy for me. I'd feel like a pretentious git (yeah, yeah, too late, I know) explaining it more than that.

Thought you meant ghosts or something...

Also, and sorry I'd this is pedantic, but I came up against a wall when thinking through how to answer you. What is an action? All the definitions I could think of we're wrong. Which is a segue, luckily, as being ignorant tends to make me uncomfortable.
    "A change that has actually happened in the real world."

Almost everything looks different when viewed closely and critically. My contention is that while everyone else tends to discard the initial, more symbolic impression for the in-depth one, I recognize that sometimes te layperson's view is more broadly useful. It's just hard to find balance, as people gravitate towards disturbing ignorance, or utterly discarding the rind when they get to the meats of the science fruit.

I find your description of thought as action powerful, though.
    I just wanted to make a poop joke. :<
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-02-19 at 04:47 AM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

7. - Top - End - #247

Consider dreams. Why is it when you try to explain a dream to someone else using words that it always feels so inadequate? So disjointed? Like you're not doing justice to the dream, and at the end of the explanation you feel kind of silly?

The point is that sometimes thought surpasses all words, familiar structures, and all the context that makes language possible.
    That's one way to explain it. If you're one foot in the multiverse, so to speak, just about any thought process becomes a full fledged scene, which you see and hear and if you're really focused, feel. Thought is not just language, it's comprised of all forms of perception combined, language is just what you use to describe it, to others or even yourself. If you're thinking by proxy (thinking that you're thinking, or about what you're thinking), then you will indeed think in terms of your own language, losing bits and pieces as you fail to put the events into words. The actual thought goes a lot deeper than just language.

We don't take kindly to split personalities around these parts. Do we girls?

*Thanqol smiles vaguely as he stares blankly into space*

You sure told him!
    Well, if these were split personalities, I'd probably be fine with them.
    I've got roughly five recurring characters I can call up, including one I specifically shaped for the purpose of art advice, but most of the time it's random characters pulled "from beyond the fourth wall". They form spontaneously and disappear without a trace. At least they're inobtrusive, and only appear when my thought wanders (i.e. when I'm not doing anything useful, for instance when walking on autopilot), but otherwise I'm not sure what to make of their existence.

Anyways, thoughts on rewatching the latest episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not nearly as irritated by the Looney Tunes scene now, but it's still ridiculous. This and Pinkie's hoofwriting are the two things that still annoy me in this episode. For the first, I call Rule of Fun medium convention (in other words, the Fun equivalent of a Dramatization), but for the second I have no explanation. Sure, they needed Pinkie to write as she talked, but not writing at all (and implying she put it in the list) would be a better solution that having her use magnetic hooves in addition to implausible dexterity. Anyways, the song is still good (even though the final segment with all the ponies in chorus could be removed with no loss to quality), and overall the episode is still fun. For a Pinkie-centric episode, "fun" is good.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

8. - Top - End - #248

That's one way to explain it. If you're one foot in the multiverse, so to speak, just about any thought process becomes a full fledged scene, which you see and hear and if you're really focused, feel. Thought is not just language, it's comprised of all forms of perception combined, language is just what you use to describe it, to others or even yourself. If you're thinking by proxy (thinking that you're thinking, or about what you're thinking), then you will indeed think in terms of your own language, losing bits and pieces as you fail to put the events into words. The actual thought goes a lot deeper than just language.
    Oh yes, all entirely things I agree with.

My question was, taking the perspective of that multi-layered perception as true thought, what does thinking about thinking feel like?

Well, if these were split personalities, I'd probably be fine with them.
    I've got roughly five recurring characters I can call up, including one I specifically shaped for the purpose of art advice, but most of the time it's random characters pulled "from beyond the fourth wall". They form spontaneously and disappear without a trace. At least they're inobtrusive, and only appear when my thought wanders (i.e. when I'm not doing anything useful, for instance when walking on autopilot), but otherwise I'm not sure what to make of their existence.
    Frankly, it sounds like a fun upgrade to your mind

9. - Top - End - #249

Oh yes, all entirely things I agree with.

My question was, taking the perspective of that multi-layered perception as true thought, what does thinking about thinking feel like?
    Given the premise of thought transcending language, that question can't be adequately answered in the form of a forum post.

That said, for me it's like asking a computer what does it feel like when its logic circuits operate. It's... gah, again. My vocabulary fails me. It's... more or less it's a recursive process that produces no output. An ouroboros, going with the dragon theme. When I think about my own thinking, my mind enters a progressively unstable state, throwing out random concepts and images until I stop doing it. (For imagery, imagine a tokamak reactor plasma loop going haywire in uncertain space, lashing out with Sun-like protuberances at anything that happens to surround it. Now imagine that the energy in the loop is thought itself, the concept, and the plasma is the instanced thoughts formed by it. That's what I see.) If I approach it from a different direction, I only see my own formulae and theories for the nature of thought as perceived from the Multiverse, that is, thinking about thinking as a process, not thinking as a concept. I'm a little too analysis-inclined to see thought as anything but a process, from that standpoint.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Hmm, your political ideals are more emblematic of Orders (Adamantine Arrow, by the way). Path is enlightenment; your path to the Supernal. It's not a case of what you want to achieve but something deeper than that, the baseline why you do things.
    You misunderstand. This is the root cause of... Everything I do that is based on thought at all. It was the end result of boiling down bigger words and longer sentences. The only 'purer' form is "I do things because I can't not do those things."

Makes you wonder what other scenarios I've prepared for, doesn't it?
    Well, now it does yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Yeah, but that's part of the thing I can't really explain. The best I can get at is that you need to train enough that you can play something on reflex without any kind of deliberative mental process so that the mechanics of it don't get in the way of the art of it. It feels sort of like an engine that you only have to get started for it to do all the work, but I argue that it only feels like that. It's still my brain making every little decision, they've just become really easy for me. I'd feel like a pretentious git (yeah, yeah, too late, I know) explaining it more than that.

Thought you meant ghosts or something...
    Like walking? Or bike riding. Complex processes that eventually become rote, but are no less complex. What would be getting up, balancing, falling, catching, as well as picking up a cup, turning on a faucet, etc. are all boiled to be "I'm gonna get some water". Does that work?

And I did somewhat, but as a rhetorical device. I am much less invested in 'reality' than you, how could I argue with you what is real? We'd have to decide on what real was first. Tedious.

"A change that has actually happened in the real world."
    There is that 'real' word again. A loaded one, that
    Remarkably functional though. Thanks!

I just wanted to make a poop joke. :<
    I was trying to avoid accusing you of just wanting to make a poop joke.
    Meanie. Where is that peptobismal?

11. - Top - End - #251

Given the premise of thought transcending language, that question can't be adequately answered in the form of a forum post.
    It is now revealed that that question was actually me trolling everyone again. Even that description, while cool, surely does no justice to the reality; it evokes things which are similar, but it is insufficient. You clearly know it. There's a barrier language cannot cross, and the reality that no one except you can understand how you think.

Ah, but for love. The exploration of a mind, to me, is love.

12. - Top - End - #252

It is now revealed that that question was actually me trolling everyone again. Even that description, while cool, surely does no justice to the reality; it evokes things which are similar, but it is insufficient. You clearly know it. There's a barrier language cannot cross, and the reality that no one except you can understand how you think.
    There are differences in the "how" questions one can ask of the thought though. I can't understand "how" you think, in meaning the exact processes that lead to you formulating one thought or another, as that would require actually dipping into your personal subconscious (which is heavily frowned upon even on this level of existence) but one can understand "how" any given person thinks, in meaning the nature of the processes that enable thought in the first place. That neither answer can be adequately shaped into word forms is correct though.

I wouldn't count it as trolling though, as it's an interesting experiment, and one I would gladly instigate myself if I, well, thought of it. :P
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

13. - Top - End - #253

There are differences in the "how" questions one can ask of the thought though. I can't understand "how" you think, in meaning the exact processes that lead to you formulating one thought or another, as that would require actually dipping into your personal subconscious (which is heavily frowned upon even on this level of existence) but one can understand "how" any given person thinks, in meaning the nature of the processes that enable thought in the first place. That neither answer can be adequately shaped into word forms is correct though.
    I think it can be shaped into words. Just not words that humanity has come up with, or that humanity can come up with. This leads into speculation of the divine, though, which is a matter of faith rather than discussion.

I wouldn't count it as trolling though, as it's an interesting experiment, and one I would gladly instigate myself if I, well, thought of it. :P
    Trolling for enlightenment rather than rage. It's how I roll these days.

Also, my piece was edited and submitted to FIFiction. It's under the title "The Zecorax" (thanks whoever suggested that), I'll link when the contest starts Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-19 at 07:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Barbarian in the Playground

All this deep-talk is making my head hurt. Sky, please light something on fire. Then blow it up.

Oh i though you would never ask!
    I made THIS baby for such an occasion! I call it, Boom Fire. Fires rounds that ignite and leave a trail of fire in their wake, then, after a short delay, EXPLODE!

Just try not to hit anypony. or Griphon or anything that could poentialy destroy us.... There are a lot of powerful beings in this area...

*fires several rounds over the side of the ship* What was that Ponyard?

Luna save me...
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    episode

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sad to report that this is probably bottom five for me. I just did not enjoy the episode. I think the song was probably a major factor there. I didn't like the song and thought it was a bit too long on top of that.

Oh well. Can't all be winners.
    Episode spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm with you there. I was unimpressed by the song, and overall unimpressed by the episode. I'm increasingly certain that Pinkie really can't carry an episode on her own. Cranky almost helped her, but... eh. A bit too Toony Toonsey for my tastes.

Thanqol's philosotrolling amuses me to no end, and I'm sorry I missed it.
    Truth resists simplicity.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    Thanqol's philosotrolling amuses me to no end, and I'm sorry I missed it.
    I'm still here. What, are you saying that it's over? Are you saying that I'm over? Are you saying that the thread's over me?

WAIT

NO

DON'T LEAVE ME

I NEED YOU TO SEE THAT YOU DON'T NEED ME
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-19 at 07:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257

I'm still here. What, are you saying that it's over? Are you saying that I'm over? Are you saying that the thread's over me?

WAIT

NO

DON'T LEAVE ME

I NEED YOU TO SEE THAT YOU DON'T NEED ME
    I've just realized how appropriate your forum title is to this conversation.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Are you saying that the thread's over me?
    No. I'm quite sure the thread will never recover.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

*Looks blankly at Thanqol's, SiuiS' and Sean's posts*

*eyeglow blink*

Yeah, waaay too early in the pm.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-02-19 at 08:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This was a good episode, although slightly Looney Toons for my taste. (Ohgod eyeballs from keyholes and bricks are just horrifying.) Her ever-more-frantic efforts to please Cranky was totally in-character for her.

Still, the Smile, Smile, Smile song really brought a smile to my face.

It also affirms why Pinkie Pie is second-best pony.
    Last edited by Grif; 2012-02-19 at 08:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Rarity's repository of ruby red rouge represents resplendently and really rather respectfully recovering riches reliably resulting from Roguery.
    Good sir that was impressive. How long did it take you to come up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Remainder of comments in spoiler because I'm tired, so I'll probably ramble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but think that some day in like 20 years I'll decide to run for political office and someone will dig up the pictures that arise out of all of this, but c'est la vie. It was too awesome to pass up.
    "In today's top story, support for Anarion has skyrocketed after a recent leak outing him as a brony. An unnamed source from the opposition has been quoted saying 'Leaking that picture of him with the plushie probably wasn't such a good idea after all.'"

Good to hear that you had fun! And I'm not going to look down on you for being an arrogant Harvard law student. You don't seem arrogant. I know an arrogant law student (not from Harvard) and you definitely don't sound anything like him.

Skill monkey? Diplomacy/sense motive/bluff on skill list? Doesn't play music for a living? That fits rogue.
    What if she has Perform(Drama)? Nopony ever said that bards have to play music.

Rarity has the most possible choices. In 3e, she could be a rogue who is played well. She could be a monk (grace, poise, insight, kicks a manticore in the face) with a focus on social skills before brute force. She could be a Courtier, seeing as their level 1 class ability is "Wealth, Talent, Style & Grace". Courtier is probably the best bet.

Twilight is probably best as a Cleric. (magic and Sun domains). She has a very reverent feel to how she handles the science. Cleric of Celwstia makes loads of sense to me. Cloistered I suppose.

Rainbow Dash would have to be either Warblade or Swashbuckler. Though kudos, wouldn't have thought of Warblade on my own.
    I could see these working. If Twilight's a cleric she's definitely cloistered, though I still think her "Hey guys, I just learned a new spell!" thing fits better with a wizard. Oh! With a prestige in Wild Mage! Just to explain her little magic surges.

Fluttershy tends to elude me. I want to say 'adept' because she's not good at very much. That's kind of the point; fluttershy is know for being "cute" which is based on how she's played not her stats. And for anyone who says "but animals! She talks to them!" we'll,
    1) most animals can talk back
    2) that's only a feat away for ANY character, if it's important to them. And it only requires a single rank in Handle Animal, which is a skill even fighters get, to be able to train them to respond like she does.

I also insist Spike is a cohort, not a familiar.
    Oh! Oh! I've figured it out! Fluttershy's the barbarian! Think about it, she's got Handle Animal, Intimidate, and is capable of flying into a murderous rampage which gives her massive buffs to her physical abilities! She's a barbarian with high Charisma who's played as a pacifist!

Also Spike's totally a cohort. No wizard would go that long without their familiar, too many chances for things to go wrong.
    Last edited by Kyouhen; 2012-02-19 at 09:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So, regarding my complaint in the opening. Let me share a little personal info that I don't think I've told to the thread, since this won't make sense otherwise. The law school that I presently attend is Harvard. I, uh, kind of feel like I'm being arrogant when I tell people that, so I apologize, that's not the intent. What is the intent though, is that I didn't think there were any bronies at Harvard law except the 3-4 people that I've personally tried to convert (with limited success). But, it turned out one of the people there worked in media services at Harvard law and we've probably seen each other like 100 times around the campus. And, since the conversation got into finding space with a projector, this other fellow and I tentatively suggested that if other Boston bronies were willing to pitch in $1-2 dollars each, I could probably book a room in Harvard law for a future meetup, with the bonus of likely getting a "bronies invade Harvard" EQD post out of the bargain. I can't help but think that some day in like 20 years I'll decide to run for political office and someone will dig up the pictures that arise out of all of this, but c'est la vie. It was too awesome to pass up.
    Missed this. Wasn't Boast Busters all about friends supporting you when you're amazingly talented? Because that's the vibe I'm getting here. If you're doing a law degree at Harvard then, hey, awesome.

Also, seriously, if the worst photograph your political enemies are able to dig up are of you with some stuffed animals then your election campaign writes itself.

"All my opponents have managed to do with this so-called smear campaign is prove that I care about the nation's children. The pictured organisation has given thousands of dollars to various charities and united communities across the globe. Tell me, Congressman... what did you do while you were in university?"

23. - Top - End - #263

You people make waaaaaaaaaaay too many threads.

24. - Top - End - #264

It's because we're not allowed to have a single big one. So much pony will simply break the forum.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

It's because we're not allowed to have a single big one. So much pony will simply break the forum.
    Indeed. A 1859-page thread would likely make the forum's server catch fire.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    STOP
    Spoiler
    Show

Story time!

Felt logic: He says we have too many threads! Must make silly response about stopping. Stop? Story Time? Success!

...I REGRET NOTHING!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Too many pony threads? Hohoho, you so silly. Why, everyone knows that too many pony threads is just an old mare's tale.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-02-19 at 10:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

That song made me smile.

Question: In Hearth's Warming Eve, if moving the sun and moon is the responsibility of all unicorns in general, why does the flag (when they're all united) show Luna and Celestia?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    That song made me smile.

Question: In Hearth's Warming Eve, if moving the sun and moon is the responsibility of all unicorns in general, why does the flag (when they're all united) show Luna and Celestia?
    Look closer. It's a different pair of alicorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Everything is going according to plan. And by that I mean the plan has changed like 3 times in the last year but now I have it written down and the new plan is going well!.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo

Extended Sig

Brother of Battle by Emperor Ing

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    [color="#660066"]Good sir that was impressive. How long did it take you to come up with that?
    Based on the time between when I posted the first part and when I edited in the second so I wouldn't double post it took about 5 minutes. It's surprisingly easy when you can google a thesaurus.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
    That song made me smile.

I think the consensus was that the flag is a modern Equestrian banner rather than a historically accurate one. The pony that directed the play took a minor artistic license.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube