New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

wink Sexy Telepathy (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Don't ask. Just know that this is all Wyntonian's fault.

Sexy Telepathy
    Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Bard 4
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Medium
    Target: One living creature who has a language
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: Will Negates
    SR: Yes

You form a telepathic bond with the targeted creature. The creature must make a Will save or be subject to this bond for the duration of the spell. If the distance between you and the affected creature ever exceeds 100 ft +10 ft/level, the bond is suppressed until you get back in range. Additionally, the creature hears your voice inside its head as the most attractive voice it can imagine. Your voice's tone matches the creature's desires exactly. Your voice becomes either male or female, whichever the creature finds more attractive, and deepens or softens to meet the creature's exact preferences as well. This deep personal connection results in the creature being charmed, as if by a charm monster spell, and you also receive a +20 bonus on Charisma-based skill checks you make with the creature telepathically. You do not receive the bonus to Charisma ability checks (such as the check required to convince a creature to do something it normally wouldn't, as the charm monster spell), and this spell's bonus to Charisma-based checks does not stack with the bonus provided by the glibness spell.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-17 at 08:32 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sexy Telepathy (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Every telepathy should be sexy.

It makes tapping telepathic conversations between the BBEG and his/her Dragon much, much better.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Should probably require you to be able to speak the target's language [i'm pretty sure regular telepathy does].

Other than that, I actually designed the same thing as a psionic power about 3 years ago. Spooky...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

What happens if you use this on a Warforged?
    Dealing with massive extended family DRAMAAAAA, posting slow to nonexistent until issues resolved.

Avatar by the wonderful Ceika. Many praises be unto she.

Live your life without regrets.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Now all you'll need is a divination and an alter self...

What? Don't look at me like that.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

....It's been like 10 minutes. Damn, you're quick. Does the sheer sexyness of the telepathy preclude any dependence on language?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Should probably require you to be able to speak the target's language [i'm pretty sure regular telepathy does].
    Nope, here's the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD "Telepathy"
    A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian
    ....It's been like 10 minutes. Damn, you're quick. Does the sheer sexyness of the telepathy preclude any dependence on language?
    That's what she sa- I mean, yes, it does. *points to above quote*

What happens if you use this on a Warforged?
    I'm not certain constructs are capable of feeling attraction, but if they are, the DM would have to improvise. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd just work like a normal charm monster.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-01-02 at 06:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Insight bonus seems wrong; it's not that you have greater knowledge of what to do, it's just that they find it more attractive. I'd say make it an unnamed bonus; in terms of mechanics it's not much difference (as insight bonuses to skills and ability checks are pretty rare and minor).

Also, "Charisma checks" means just ability checks; you might also want to include Charisma-based skill checks.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Insight bonus seems wrong; it's not that you have greater knowledge of what to do, it's just that they find it more attractive. I'd say make it an unnamed bonus; in terms of mechanics it's not much difference (as insight bonuses to skills and ability checks are pretty rare and minor).

Also, "Charisma checks" means just ability checks; you might also want to include Charisma-based skill checks.
    Changed, thank you.

Edit: Clarified that the spell only works while you're in range of each other.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-01-02 at 06:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Awesome!

I have to add more words because awesome is too short, but know that I would have just left it at "Awesome!" if allowed.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Love this spell.
    It would be weird to realize what voices your target might find sexy.

Inside the mind of the town guardsmen:

open the gate for mal please. why does mal's voice sound like orc. mal is a human. So is guard man. mal guesses mal knows where some of those half orc kids near the orphanage came from. ewww though.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Changed, thank you.
    So now it doesn't work on actual ability checks?

(The obvious ramification is the opposed Charisma check to get a charmed creature to do something it normally wouldn't; whether a +20 on that check would make this spell too powerful or is desired is another question which I'll let you decide.)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    So now it doesn't work on actual ability checks?

(The obvious ramification is the opposed Charisma check to get a charmed creature to do something it normally wouldn't; whether a +20 on that check would make this spell too powerful or is desired is another question which I'll let you decide.)
    No, it doesn't work on ability checks. I don't believe physical attractiveness contributes to a person going against their moral beliefs. While you can certainly Bluff better or be more Diplomatic, and perhaps use that to convince the target to do what you like, an actual check to use your spell to compel them to act against their normal behavior is getting into the realm of (compulsion), and I don't want to do that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some people will even pay gold coins to experience sexy telepathy.
    Do you use the mechanics to play the game,
    or do you use the game to play the mechanics?

My opinion on paladins

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calmar View Post
    Some people will even pay gold coins to experience sexy telepathy.
    Welcome to the NeoSeraphi Hotline.

...whaaaaatt?

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

The only thing I could imagine once I read this was an old obese wizard using this on a fit young roguish lad to the point where it'd basically be dominate monster. Just saying.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    The only thing I could imagine once I read this was an old obese wizard using this on a fit young roguish lad to the point where it'd basically be dominate monster. Just saying.
    Well that's silly. It's bard-only. But yes, it is indeed a spell that can only be used for evil, and very hilarious purposes.

18. - Top - End - #18

Y'know, I'd actually kind of like to experience this just once, just for the sake of finding out if what I think of as a sexy voice is the same as what my subconscious thinks is a sexy voice. This spell could tell a person a lot about themselves that they might not know or be willing to admit.

I would use it on every Paladin I met on principle.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    I would use it on every Paladin I met on principle.
    I imagine the Sisters of the Church of Mercy do not take kindly to being imitated in such a fashion.
    Dealing with massive extended family DRAMAAAAA, posting slow to nonexistent until issues resolved.

Avatar by the wonderful Ceika. Many praises be unto she.

Live your life without regrets.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Circle of Life View Post
    I imagine the Sisters of the Church of Mercy do not take kindly to being imitated in such a fashion.
    It's spelled "intimidated".

Double joke.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Considering that telepathic bond is a 5th level spell with a duration of 10 minutes per level and this is 4th level spell with a duration of 24 hours, I'd say the duration should be 1 minute per level. It is absurdly overpowered at 24 hours.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Considering that telepathic bond is a 5th level spell with a duration of 10 minutes per level and this is 4th level spell with a duration of 24 hours, I'd say the duration should be 1 minute per level. It is absurdly overpowered at 24 hours.

Debby
    First of all, telepathic bond is 5th level for a 9th level progression class, while this is 4th level for a 6th level progression class. Secondly, the duration of charm monster is one day per level. If I made it 1 min/level, well, that just wouldn't be nearly as good as the original charm monster and no one would use it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    First of all, telepathic bond is 5th level for a 9th level progression class, while this is 4th level for a 6th level progression class. Secondly, the duration of charm monster is one day per level. If I made it 1 min/level, well, that just wouldn't be nearly as good as the original charm monster and no one would use it.

Point taken. 1 day per level is still too long. 10 minutes might still be short but one hour per level wouldn't be.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Point taken. 1 day per level is still too long. 10 minutes might still be short but one hour per level wouldn't be.

Debby
    Alright, I dropped it to one hour/level.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Welcome to the NeoSeraphi Hotline.

...whaaaaatt?

Haha! It is up to me, Seraphi, to personally fill in all the holes that WotC left, so that I never again hear someone say "You want me to play D&D? But it seems so restrictive compared to a normal roleplaying game..."
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-02-17 at 03:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I dunno, even with the restricted duration, you're still combining the effects of Telepathic Bond (5th level), Charm Monster (4th level), and Glibness+ (3rd-4th level) into a single 4th level spell. It seems overpowered to me by quite a lot actually. You have to ask yourself, if this spell existed, would you ever cast any of the above three spells that combine to make this one? I know I wouldn't.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    Eh, I dunno, even with the restricted duration, you're still combining the effects of Telepathic Bond (5th level), Charm Monster (4th level), and Glibness+ (3rd-4th level) into a single 4th level spell. It seems overpowered to me by quite a lot actually. You have to ask yourself, if this spell existed, would you ever cast any of the above three spells that combine to make this one? I know I wouldn't.
    Not quite; telepathic bond allows you to bond one creature/level, meaning you can have an entire party communicating together. This only allows one creature. Charm monster allows you to make opposed Charisma checks to force a creature to do something it normally wouldn't, and NeoSeraphi has said this spell explicitly doesn't. And glibness gives you a +30 to all creatures you interact with, whereas this spell gives that bonus only against the one targeted creature. Also, glibness doesn't allow a save.

I'd still use all those spells. Although I do really like this one. I'mma stealin' it! ...
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Not quite; telepathic bond allows you to bond one creature/level, meaning you can have an entire party communicating together. This only allows one creature.
    That's not really a drawback since you wouldn't be using this to communicate with your party you'd be using it as a better Charm Monster.

Charm monster allows you to make opposed Charisma checks to force a creature to do something it normally wouldn't, and NeoSeraphi has said this spell explicitly doesn't.
    As written it does though, so he should edit that into the spell. Of course...

And glibness gives you a +30 to all creatures you interact with, whereas this spell gives that bonus only against the one targeted creature. Also, glibness doesn't allow a save.
    ...with the Glibness effect, it basically has a better version of Charm Monster's "opposed Charisma checks" clause.

Looking at it again, though, it is a slightly better Charm Monster with a much more reasonable duration attached to a not-as-good, but still good, Glibness. I suppose that works as a 4th level Bard spell.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2012-02-17 at 04:53 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

That's not really a drawback since you wouldn't be using this to communicate with your party you'd be using it as a better Charm Monster.
    That seems kind of like saying Charm person being limited by HD doesn't matter compared to implosion if you're only trying to knock out a single 1 HD creature. It's technically correct, but also ignores a huge portion of why the higher level spell is, well, higher level.
    You rang?

30. - Top - End - #30

Hmmm I'm just pondering what would happen if you cast this spell on an illithid?

Illithids are by nature, hermaphrodites. Would they hear their own telepathic voice?

That would confuse the hell out of anybody. "WHY AM I SPEAKING TO MYSELF!"

And still a fan of Neo-Seraphi homebrew(like the new avatar by the way).
    Last edited by Wavelab; 2012-02-17 at 06:49 PM.
    Extended Hombrew Signature