New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground XXX

I have the build together and think it's awesome, but I'm having a hard time with the story.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

End of page glitch was eating Hunter Killer's post. I know of 3 ways, off the top of my head, to enter this PrC.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

3 is all I could think of as well.

I had a build for two of them, but both were exceedingly bland and tasteless. Not at all suited for an IC submission.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

i found 2 ways besides the obvious straight monk, so i guess that makes 3 total.

And I finished the outline of my build. But after seeing the judging criteria comboed with my general disdain for writing this type of do-gooder ascetic character story, I decided not to continue with my entry.

I might judge instead. I am going to go ahead and post my criteria just in case i do decide to judge.

Spoiler
    Show

First of all, i would say one of the big differences in my judging style, is that I judge all the builds comparatively instead of on a case by case basis. As I judge a category or sub-category I will line up all the entries from best to worst and then award points. For instance when judging originality of race choice or when judging power, I will award the highest points to the most original race and the highest points to the most powerful build, respectively.
    Ties in scores are likely and possible.

Originality- This is a rough category for this round of IC. So I won't be to harsh. If someone pulls out a creative and imaginative build they will get high points from me. If someone copies the example in the book and doesn't do anything at all with the build they will get a low score from me. The rest will get average scores here.

Power- This category again is comparative. I will take into account defensive power and utilitarian power, not just offensive power. But I will be comparing your entry to every other entry.

Elegance- Basically for me this category is all about fluff matching mechanics. As long as the build comes together smoothly and nothing in your build conflicts, then you will get a decent to high score from me. I feel this category can be in contention with the power category sometimes. For instance, if you are a human with giant, fey and dragon ancestry you might have a better power score but you will not likely to have a good elegance score from me.

Use of SI-
    I will be looking at a few different things for this category.

Did you make the prerequs?

How many levels did you take?
    Given the difficulty of entry into this class I will not dock points if you can at least get 7 lvls of the SI. If you get more than 7, I will give bonus points.

What did you do with the SI?
    I will be looking at how you keyed in the SI to your build.

Did the rest of your build work with the SI or did it OVERSHADOW the SI?
    If it looks like you took the SI "just because the contest told me too" or if your build works "in spite of" the SI then you likely won't score high in this category.

I will not compare the SI to other prestige classes that do it better and then hold you accountable. I feel that is an unfair and unnecessary criteria for the competition.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Got my story in the bag. I will have this bad-boy in by tomorrow.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Killer View Post
    Got my story in the bag. I will have this bad-boy in by tomorrow.
    Cutting it close, huh? Don't worry, I do too. I'm a compulsive tweaker. Especially when it comes to skill point assignment.

I found one entry other than the obvious. I'd quite like to see what I missed.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay build rebuilded (it might be less original but it has less cheesy shenanigans and everything feels right with it now) reworking the fluff. I might post the earlier build on sunday/monday though just to get people's opinion, or maybe I'll go with that one if I don't have enough time to rework the new one.

Probably not going with both, they share a lot of things and competing against each other would hit them on originality.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Just back from the Soundwave music festival...sunburnt, and queasy from too much vodka and junk food. Definitely not getting a build in.

I might have a go at judging, if we're running low this time around.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The read through of my story draft has tought me the the impotence of poofeating.
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Just back from the Soundwave music festival...sunburnt, and queasy from too much vodka and junk food. Definitely not getting a build in.

I might have a go at judging, if we're running low this time around.
    Sounds like a day well spent, though. May want to bring a parasol or sunblock next time, though.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Killer View Post
    The read through of my story draft has tought me the the impotence of poofeating.
    can I sig this?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    can I sig this?
    Certainly.
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Sounds like a day well spent, though. May want to bring a parasol or sunblock next time, though.
    Yeah, very good day - Black Label Society, Trivium, Gojira, Bad Religion, Mastodon, Kittie....awesome. It was one of those deceptively cloudy days, where the sun was still enough to burn, but not very noticeable.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm just finishing the poofeating myself. Submission incoming!
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Build submitted. Been a while, but for this one I just HAD to...

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

...and, done! Build is submitted, and I'm pretty happy with it. Regardless of where I place, this was a fun (albeit frustrating) competition, and easily the most challenging Iron Chef I've competed in.

Can't wait to see what everyone has done with this! I'm also curious to see everyone's entry methods. I was able to come up with three fairly straightforward entries, plus one entry that was way too cheesy to really be considered (although consider it I did). I wonder if anyone here had the chutzpah to use it, though ;)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Submitted. Good luck to everyone involved, and I can't wait for the reveal!
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I obliterated my new build, I saved my Cthulu game chronicles over it so I'm going to go with the old one. ****.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

I submitted a build... that I started 3 hours ago.

Damn procrastination; thank you, my going through a monk-love phase last year, so I had all my notes at hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I submitted a build... that I started 3 hours ago.

Damn procrastination; thank you, my going through a monk-love phase last year, so I had all my notes at hand...
    Oh my god I just sent mine in, I was so close to the last minute it wasn't even funny. this took so much longer than I thought it would. I can't wait to see what everybody else came up with. good luck all around!

I feel the same way, but I started mine on wednesday. still, there's just so much html coding at a time you can take until your eyes start to bleed.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

21. - Top - End - #201

NecromancerGuy

Now it's time for the reveal (forum glitches allowing, mumble mutter). Please refrain from posting in this thread until after I've given the all-clear. I'll come back to this post later and edit in a link to the builds. Thanks.

The Wanderer.
    Grandmaster Thrask Goldfang.
    Candle, the Lantern of Pistis Sophia.
    Koko.
    Guang Pho Sung.
    Naye, Pariah of Aralith.
    Jael Filius.
    Trishna Bodhi.
    Zool.
    Shui Cho.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2012-03-13 at 01:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

NecromancerGuy

He's never in one place. He roams from town to town. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer

The Wanderer
    What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.
    His age is hard to pin, his eyes are strong, old, like those of one who has lived much but his body moves with the fluidity of purpose and practice. His skin is battered and darkened by the sun and the elements. His clothes adorned with the stains of pasts experiences. In his hands there is a long staff carved with a winged feminine figure and long inscriptions. That image guides his steps.
    The first record of its existence is his little body dumped in front of the church of the Holy Heavens. Wrapped with a stained cloth, bloody, and dirty he was found. As a kid he was nothing special, was not nor strong nor dexterous. He never was considered witty or especially intelligent. But he was a good boy, with a strong memory and a stronger perseverance.
    There were only two things that he loved, stories and the wilderness.

Secret ingredient discussion
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At first I was a bit shocked by the class but after reading it a couple of times I believe it has potential. It's a monk prc and requires sanctify ki strike (which you can get at lvl 10 if you have VoP as a bonus feat) and keeps advancing most of your monk abilities. It has also some aura of paladin without the code of conduct (I hate the code of conduct) detect evil can be a very powerful ability indeed specially in this kind of guy. Sanctify ki strike and smite evil only works against bad guys. Unluckily detect evil doesn't assure you that you will find evil and reading the fluff, specially the fluff of Pistis Sofia, it is quite easy to se the Initiate going out of its way searching for evil. Nor gather information, nor survival are class skills for him so how the hell does he search for evil? Oh Pistis Sofia send me evil guys so I can get XP punching their faces? That doesn't work, you need to throw some bones at the DM. Also Pistis Sofia seems to be the kind of girl more interested in stoping combat than actually fighting it so the initiate also needs to be good at it.
    With superior unarmed strike you can multiclass 4 lvls as a monk without losing its unarmed strike progression so I feel comfortable tweaking up to 4 lvls (if it's a monk PRC keep your unarmed strike to the fullest). Of course you would end loosing lawful strike, wich is a prerequisite for the class, luckily there is another class that offers that. Monk of the enabled hand so I am going to tweak into getting there and play with up to four levels to solve most of the monk problems in general and help with the evil searching part of the initiate. Let's see how everything works out.

VoP discussion
    Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wanderer is kind of a VoP bitch. Initiate of Pistis Sofia asks for 3 exalted feats for entering it also benefits greatly from at least two other feats (Intuitive attacks and Holy ki strike). VoP costs 2 feats, that's one less than the entry for the Initiate, and will potentially give 11 (3 of wich are taken) feats so I feel that the rate of return is potentially good enough also considering that VoP is the only way of getting sanctify ki strike at a monk lvl 10 I fear that it's even more justified. I'll just need to be more careful while tweaking the free levels to compensate for the lack of magic items.

Setting (due to 1 feat) discussion
    Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do prefer to leave the setting as open as possible so it can fit anyone's setting or anyone's way of playing but in this specific case...

This build has a feat that is from Faerun (Knight of Tyr's Merciful Sword from Champions of Valor) at the beginning I was extremely against using any specific setting feats but that feat fits my concept of the character really well. The problem is that the feat gave me some headaches, it requires to be a Knight of the Merciful Sword, but under the description of a Knight of the Merciful Sword there is no description on how to become one. It just says that they can multiclass freely as fighters and divine champions, that's all the rule info there is to see. But doesn't say anything about penalties. Doesn't mention even worshipping Tyr. (Wich the Wanderer would worship in case he is in a Faerunian setting since Pistis Sofia doesn't seem to be a God so it can't grant spells in a Faerunian setting). It's just weird, but it fits my concept of the character. So it is going to be setted at Faerun, if you want to use him in another setting just refluff the feat (I am going to try to keep it as setting free as possible) or give him another exalted feat.

Story build progression by lvl
    The more you read and learn, the less your adversary will know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Read me another one.
    The young boy reopened the book and searched with his fingers for another story. It was like a ritual he would feel the scroll with his hands and somehow he would know which one was the story that she wanted. At first he had told her about the Holy Heavens and its people but she had found it dull and boring, hard to relate to. She had pleaded for him to read about more mundane affairs, stories of heroes, knights and wizards, sword and sorcery, dungeons and dragons…
    -Come on, read me another one. Please!
    She always grew insistent, she always wanted more stories and he was happy to oblige.
    After each story he would ask for a payment, a petty payment, perhaps a flower, perhaps a word of her language, but this time he asked for another thing, a kiss.
    -A kiss? You are brave, like a courageous little knight in its shinny armor and white horse. But a kiss is too much. What would you give me to even the scales?
    And he discovered then that he would give her anything, everything. He would give her his armor or his white horse if he had one. He would give her the sun and the moon if they were his to give. He would give her everything that he had.
    -And you will tell me another story. It’s a promise then.
    And the deal was sealed with a kiss.

Human Paragon 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features |VoP Features

1st|Human Paragon 1 (UA)|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Autohypnosis (4), Bluff (4), Disguise (4), Gather information (4), Knowledge (local) (4), Spellcraft (4), Tumble (4)|Sacred vow, Able learner (human extra feat, RoD)|Adaptive learning (Autohypnosis)|

2nd|Human Paragon 2|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Autohypnosis (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (1), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Knowledge (local) (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of poverty, Nymph Kiss|Bonus feat|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +4[/table]

First two levels
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is a young boy for now. He is mostly gathering information about the world and exploring the surroundings of the church. From time to time he does some errands for the Holy Heavens church but his specific circumstances are left open enough so he can fit in mostly any plot hook.
    Always try to plan for combat, the social skills can make wonders in getting just enough info to triumph on a fight, or there is even the possibility of evading the combat just choosing the right sentences. The wanderer is not necessarily a pacifist, even if he is an opportunist and knows that he is not really good at melee, for a weapon he is supposed to be using a crossbow (or a bow, human paragon gives him a martial weapon proficiency) with some sort of secondary melee weapon, keeping himself out of melee as much as possible.

-Repeat, again, slowly.

The voice was firm and steady. He did as he was told. At the beginning it had hurt. All that exercise was extenuating. He had never been strong and he would never bee but at some point he had got better. It was like it was becoming more intuitive. All that repetition had somehow gotten him better at it. It was still extenuating as hell but it had its rewards.

Rewards, or more precisely her naked body by the lake, that distracted him making fall.

-Repeat, again, slowly.

The face of the master was uneventful. He was such an old man, a friend from the Holy Heavens church who had taken him under his wing for a formal training. Of course he had never needed formal training in the first place. He had enough with the stories on books and the embraces on water.

-Again! Again! Harder, harder. Yes, oh, yes!

He laid by her side while she regained her breath looking at her naked body and grinning about how hilariously enabled he found his hand. Since joining the order he had built his body and with her help he had trained it in so many other aspects. He was grateful.

-Would you tell me a story?

That was not normal, she would normally get a book and ask him to read. She knew that the only stories that he got memorized were about his Holy Heavens. He searched his mind for a story that could relate to her and talked about Pistis Sofia wandering solving problems, like a knight with shining armor on a white horse. Time elapsed and he lost track, he might had talked for a minute or for a year but when he finished talking he shut his mouth.

-That's a good story. I hope that the next story you tell me is yours, and it better be as good as that one.

She leaned to kiss him one last time and jumped into the lake. He searched for her without success. He waited for her but his patience grew dim. From that day onward he would train by the lake. He would carve her messages of his progression in the fallen branches and let them drift into the lake but there was never a response. His final message was his swearing of servitude to the heavens but also his promise of returning. After that he left and strived for perfection.

human paragon 2, monk 4, monk of the enabled hand 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features |VoP Features
    3rd|Monk 1 (PHB)|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (2), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|Combat Expertise, Stunning Fist|Improved unarmed strike, flurry of blows, Bonus feat, AC Bonus|AC bonus +5, endure elements

4th|Monk 2|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Bluff (1), Concentration (3), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|Intuitive attack, Deflect arrows|Evasion, Bonus feat|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +1 (magic)

5th|Monk 3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Balance (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (2), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|-|Prayerful meditation (ACF: CC)|Sustenance

6th|Monk 4|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Autohypnosis (1), Balance (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Tumble (1)|Improved disarm, Servant of the heavens|Slow fall (10ft), Holy strike (ACF: CC)|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +6, deflection +1

7th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 1(DMC)|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |Autohypnosis (1), Balance (1), Concentration (1), Diplomacy (1), Listen (1), Sense Motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|-|Monk abilities; shim soo "Mind over hand"|Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2

8th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 2|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |Balance (2), Craft (woodworking) (2), Diplomacy (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Tumble (1)|Sanctify ki strike|Ki strike (lawful)|Bonus exalted feat, Natural armor +1, mind shielding[/table]

Level 3-8
    Spoiler
    Show

The wanderer is maturing and coming of age. In character he is focusing himself a little training martial arts under the patronage of a master Monk of the Enabled hand, even if at the beginning he is only training as a monk.
    Lvl 3 is mostly like the first two levels but having unarmed strike would mean that he is not completely defenseless whenever someone reaches him, also combat expertise increases his defenses if need be just run and fight another day. Lvl 4 nets him intuitive attack making so much better at hitting things with his fists. Also deflect arrow would buff his chances of surviving at range, so he can just shoot them till they are at charge distance and then go into melee. The next levels just add tricks to the repertoire, stunning fist + mind over hand is a really nice combo. Also Holy strike should stack with Sanctify ki strike for a nice damage against evil people.
    Don't ever remember the social skills choosing its fights wisely the wanderer can get as much advantage as he needs. Expending some time gathering information with some books on possible enemies and then making an autohypnosis check to memorize the info will be helpful. Learn about monster, search book with info or cleric/wizard/plotdude expert on the matter and then memorize it, it becomes really handy. Most of the information of monsters that can be acquired with a knowledge check should be available for research on libraries.
    Mind shielding with the disguise ranks might just be a nice push to get near evildoers. Of course the wanderer is probably not going to be really diplomatic with devils or demons but anything that allows him to get closer before the **** hits the fan is welcomed. It also works on avoiding suspicion on social encounters.

It had been so many days. Days wandering, walking the land without more purpose than being of help. Whenever he was need wherever he was needed he would help. And help was needed for many evils plagued the land. Human arguments and discussions stirred strife and caused pain and suffering to the people.

He walked the line, little by little, step by step, trying to improve the world or at least lessen the burden of those who were close. He searched evil for in its punishment he believed that he did good. But that was far from truth. There was plenty of evil and he was only a man.

Whenever he doubted he would grab a branch and carve it in the resemblance of his fears, his anguish and his doubt, letting his mind wander remembering better times by the water of a lake or by the pages of a book.

Soon the weight of the wood became too hard to bear by himself and the wanderer expended one day and one night burying it. He hided his fears underground, blessing them with the gentle repose of those forgiven. That night with his wits his own once more he forbade violence and sweared to bring peace.

human paragon 2, monk 4, monk of the enabled hand 2, initiate of Pistis Sofia 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    9th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 1 (BoED)|
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +13
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Superior unarmed strike (ToB)|Fist of the heavens, monk abilities|AC bonus +7

10th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 2|
    +6/+1
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (3), Jump (1), Sense motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Holy ki strike|Detect evil, smite evil 1/day|Bonus exalted feat, exalted strike +2 (good), damage reduction 5/magic

11th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 3|
    +7/+2
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Jump (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|-|Uncanny dodge|Ability score enhancement +4/+2

12th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 4|
    +8/+3
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +15
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Improved natural attack (unarmed strike)|Electricity resistance 5, sacred vow|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance[/table]

level 9-12 SWEETSPOT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Everything builds up to lvl 12
    Detect evil, such a nice ability to have when you are searching for evil, all those ranks on social skills just got a huge buff. Now the wanderer can gather information, searching for wrongdoers and once he finds them, and he will, eventually, he doesn't even needs to breath, he won't stop, he is like a terminator he will be able to confirm without doubt if they are evil or not. Whatever they are diplomacy could make wonders to help, either helping the good guys or redeeming bad guys.
    Of course the wanderer is not specifically a diplomancer and combat will arise, there is no redemption for the undead, nor constructs, nor demons, nor devils, nor cereal killers, nor really wicked people (really wicked people that get over the calm emotions while the Wanderer is just running around them so they enter the calm emotions one time after another, with 60ft speed they will fail at some point). If not combat arises and is in combat when this guy really shines.
    With three attacks a round and 3d6 base damage plus 3d6 extra damage against evil guys (from holy strike and holy ki strike) this guy can deal 18d6 damage per round without breaking a sweat.
    And that is not even using its special attacks. Mind over hand will help into making sure that they don't go wasted and smite evil is always nice extra damage and stunning fist... oh... stunning fist DC went high as hell (10+6+5+4+2=27 for save or suck for two rounds, or more if the bad guy was carrying weapons)
    He is not even a glass canon it has a high AC, DR 5/magic, electricity resistance 5 (okay there are not many things that are going to do electricity damage) and a good chance of destroying any manufactured weapon that hits him.

-Be careful, this manor is cursed.

The manor was indeed cursed but he didn't care anymore. He just thought to himself how nice was to have travel companions. To be able to have a conversation, share a meal or even explore a haunted house. Of course he had known there were other people following his objectives but he had never considered himself a knight in shining armor. He had made a promise long ago, by the lake in exchange of a kiss. Those knights, thought, didn't seem to care. They had meet while hunting demons many moons ago and since then they had stayed together. There were four of them. The witty scout who went ahead tracking and searching for marks of evil. The old wizard who would always point out some obscure lore or pet its raven. The regal priest who discussed with him the nature of their God trying to convert him to his believes but never failing to heal him when it was needed. The valorous knight who even when ambushed had charged head on without fear nor restrain.

-Be careful, this manor is cursed.

The raven's voice was dull. Rusted, tired, outdone but he kept repeating it. "Be careful, this manor is cursed" those words the lasts of its master had been burned into the bird’s brain. The foul undead had outnumbered them but they did not falter, they kept pressing fighting for their lives, their souls and their faith. At the end, when the necromancer's body had touched the ground there were only two left standing. Him who had wandered through his live and had found at last a moment of sojourn with those companions and the old cleric whose companions rested at his feet while he breathed through his last moment.

With that last breath came a blessing and a vow. He was to carry those knights’ will, hunt evil with renewed vigor. Wooden gravestones mark the entrance of the manor and a crow informs the lost visitant that it is in fact cursed.

human paragon 2, monk 4, monk of the enabled hand 2, initiate of Pistis Sofia 4, Chameleon 2
    Spoiler
    Show

13th|Chameleon 1 (RoD)|
    +8/+3
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|-|Aptitude focus 1/day (+2)|Resistance +2, energy resistance 5

14th|Chameleon 2|
    +9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|Knight of Tyr's Merciful sword (CoV)|New Class Abilities|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +3, freedom of movement[/table]

level 13-14
    Spoiler
    Show
    At level 12 the wanderer was good at melee, was good at calming people and was good at checking if people were evil but it lacked some stuff.

-Tracking / Urban Tracking (in the floating chameleon bonus feat) REALLY help on locating evil, detect evil is good but it has a limited range, with the tracking feats he can now where the evildoers are and hunt them down. Knight of Tyr's Merciful sword adds on that, first he will pinpoint the direction to the greatest evil around and stumble in that direction (with freedom of movement there are not a lot of things that are going to stop him).

-Chameleon's spellcasting is nice especially for two things it progresses fast and if it's divine it can use any divine spell (or if it's arcane it can use any arcane spell). Regarding spell books and holy symbols, the wanderer has been carving wood for a few levels, and he is probably going to carve his own holy symbol (or his own holy symbols, one for Pistis Sofia and if he specifically needs another deity to provide spells for him Tyr seems like a nice guy). He is also going to carve his own staff and some branches/wood statues with spells instead of using a normal spell book (rules on complete arcane) the cost of adding spells to the spell book will probably be covered with his own XP (ruling on the vow of poverty) or foraged. Also in order to understand spells and copy them later on he can use read magic which a wizard can prepare even without a spell book. For the purposes of this build and this character arcane spells might be ignored (although the wanderer would greatly benefit from some spells like spymaster's coin [CS], circle dance [spell compendium] or friendly face [RoD])

-The divine spell casting though is greatly beneficial and doesn't incur in shady ruling. Spells like marked object, lay of the land, living prints or know greater enemy (all from spell compendium) enhance greatly the wanderer's capacity to locate evil. Other spells like master air / swim (Spell Compendium) or winged watcher / aquatic scape (CS) increase the wanderer's movement capacity. Also there are some nice "offensive" spells (the wanderer won't do damage due to his vows) Lastai's caress (BoED), Binding winds (Spell Compendium), Metal fang (CC) would fall on this category. The spell casting can be further improved by taking practiced spellcaster (that would make the caster lvl go up to 8)

-Other useful feats for the bonus feat can be feats like enduring life
    (libris mortis) or font of life (heroes of horror) that can greatly increase its survivability against fearsome negative levels or other kind of enemies. Gather information, as always will help on choosing the encounters wisely and prepared for what might come

Many days had passed since he had sweared servitude to the heavens. His steps were no longer his own he was guided to fight injustice but he yearned peace. While he was fighting demons he would remember those knights. While he was feeding the children on the streets he would remember his childhood. While he was traveling the world he would remember the stories that he used to read. But his heart would always be calm, like a mass of water, like a lake.

He dreamed of returning to that lake not out of passion but just to be able to rest, once again. But he kept going sure that when he finally brought peace to the world his steps would guide him back to her embrace.

human paragon 2, monk 4, monk of the enabled hand 2, initiate of Pistis Sofia 4, chameleon 2, initiate of Pistis Sofia 4
    Spoiler
    Show

15th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 5|
    +9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Two weapon fighting|Smite evil 2/day|AC bonus +9, ability score enhancement +6/+4/+2, damage reduction 5/evil

16th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 6|
    +10/+5
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +17
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Nimbus of Light|Improved uncanny dodge|Bonus exalted feat, Natural armor +2

17th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 7|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +18
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (2), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of chastity|Electricity resistance, sacred vow|Exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration

18th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 8|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +19
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Sense motive (2), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Holy radiance, Improved two weapon fighting|Smite evil 3/day|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing

19th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 9|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +19
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|-|Improved evasion|Ability score enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2, damage reduction 10/evil

20th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 10|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +17
    |
    +17
    |
    +20
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (2), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Words of creation, vow of purity|Celestial transformation, sacred vow|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +5, energy resistance 15[/table]

level 15 - 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    The wanderer is much more composed in his ways now.
    As always a good use of the Knight's of the Merciful Sword, Track, Urban Tracking, detect evil and gather information ensure that he is going to be able to locate the biggest potential evil around and fight him whenever he wants wherever he wants being fully prepared.
    Diplomacy and calming emotions make him really good at stopping conflict before fighting, if it's possible.
    If it's not in a full attack he has seven attacks (from flurry of blows and two weapon fighting, they do stack it has been addressed in Q&A) each hitting like a truck. It's smite and stunning fist have gotten quite a lot more awesome for more damage and more suckability. His attacks already count as magic, lawful and good but if need be they can also count as metals using spells.
    He has a huge mobility 80ft speed with the option of getting travel devotion as his bonus feat and the ability to gain other movement speeds with spells.
    Defensively speaking has a humongous AC considering that he is unarmored (he also has improved uncanny dodge, so flanking him becomes really difficult),an almost unbeatable DR (10/unholy), he also keeps destroying manufactured weapons that hit him and ER 15. He has really good save bonus, being the lower one reflex, but having improved evasion is not such a big concern. He also has mindshield and doesn't need to breath which gets some will saves and fortitude saves out of the spectrum of worries.
    Being an outsider might lead to alter self shenanigans but it's not the intent of this build.

Stats
    If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA

1st|10|12|12|14|16|14

4th|10|12|12|14|16|15

7th|10|12|12|14|18|15

8th|10|12|13|14|18|15

11th|10|12|15|14|20|15

12th|10|12|16|14|20|15

15th|10|14|18|14|22|15

15th|10|15|18|14|22|15

19th|10|17|20|16|24|15

20th|10|18|20|16|24|15[/table]

The build
    Now the reason the enlightened prince and the wise general conquer the enemy whenever they move and their achievements surpass those of ordinary men is foreknowledge.
    Spoiler
    Show

1st|Human Paragon 1 (UA)|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Autohypnosis (4), Bluff (4), Disguise (4), Gather information (4), Knowledge (local) (4), Spellcraft (4), Tumble (4)|Sacred vow, Able learner (human extra feat, RoD)|Adaptive learning (Autohypnosis)|

2nd|Human Paragon 2|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Autohypnosis (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (1), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Knowledge (local) (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of poverty, Nymph Kiss|Bonus feat|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +4

3rd|Monk 1 (PHB)|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (2), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|Combat Expertise, Stunning Fist|Improved unarmed strike, flurry of blows, Bonus feat, AC Bonus|AC bonus +5, endure elements

4th|Monk 2|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Bluff (1), Concentration (3), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|Intuitive attack, Deflect arrows|Evasion, Bonus feat|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +1 (magic)

5th|Monk 3|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Balance (1), Bluff (1), Concentration (2), Diplomacy (1), Disguise (1), Gather information (1), Tumble (1)|-|Prayerful meditation (ACF: CC)|Sustenance

6th|Monk 4|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Autohypnosis (1), Balance (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Tumble (1)|Improved disarm, Servant of the heavens|Slow fall (10ft), Holy strike (ACF: CC)|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +6, deflection +1

7th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 1(DMC)|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |Autohypnosis (1), Balance (1), Concentration (1), Diplomacy (1), Listen (1), Sense Motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|-|Monk abilities; shim soo "Mind over hand"|Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2

8th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 2|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |Balance (2), Craft (woodworking) (2), Diplomacy (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Tumble (1)|Sanctify ki strike|Ki strike (lawful)|Bonus exalted feat, Natural armor +1, mind shielding

9th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 1 (BoED)|
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +13
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Superior unarmed strike (ToB)|Fist of the heavens, monk abilities|AC bonus +7

10th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 2|
    +6/+1
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (3), Jump (1), Sense motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Holy ki strike|Detect evil, smite evil 1/day|Bonus exalted feat, exalted strike +2 (good), damage reduction 5/magic

11th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 3|
    +7/+2
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Jump (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|-|Uncanny dodge|Ability score enhancement +4/+2

12th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 4|
    +8/+3
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +15
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace, Improved natural attack (unarmed strike)|Electricity resistance 5, sacred vow|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance

13th|Chameleon 1 (RoD)|
    +8/+3
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|-|Aptitude focus 1/day (+2)|Resistance +2, energy resistance 5

14th|Chameleon 2|
    +9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Gather information (1), Jump (1), Listen (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|Knight of Tyr's Merciful sword (CoV)|New Class Abilities|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +3, freedom of movement

15th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 5|
    +9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Two weapon fighting|Smite evil 2/day|AC bonus +9, ability score enhancement +6/+4/+2, damage reduction 5/evil

16th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 6|
    +10/+5
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +17
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Nimbus of Light|Improved uncanny dodge|Bonus exalted feat, Natural armor +2

17th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 7|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +18
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Listen (1), Sense motive (2), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Vow of chastity|Electricity resistance, sacred vow|Exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration

18th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 8|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +19
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (1), Gather information (1), Sense motive (2), Spot (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Holy radiance, Improved two weapon fighting|Smite evil 3/day|Bonus exalted feat, AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing

19th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 9|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +19
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (1), Sense motive (1), Spot (1), Survival (2), Tumble (1)|-|Improved evasion|Ability score enhancement +8/+6/+4/+2, damage reduction 10/evil

20th|Initiate of Pistis Sofia 10|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +17
    |
    +17
    |
    +20
    |Autohypnosis (1), Diplomacy (2), Gather information (2), Listen (1), Sense motive (1), Survival (1), Tumble (1)|Words of creation, vow of purity|Celestial transformation, sacred vow|Bonus exalted feat, Exalted strike +5, energy resistance 15[/table]
    Spells per day (Arcane)
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|4|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|4|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Spells per day (Divine)
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|4|4|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|4|5|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|4|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Strategy discussion and tactics
    Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Wanderer won’t wait for evil to get him in the contrary he will actively go after the wicked. Combining the effect of Knight of Tyr’s Merciful sword (pointing to the greatest evil around), Track/Urban Track (from his bonus feat of a Chameleon) his good ranks on gather information / survival, his access to divination spells and his detect evil capability he will actively search for evil and prepare for a confrontation.
    Against normal human enemies the wanderer will walk around them forcing them to make saves one time after another against his calm emotions and then use diplomacy to avoid the fight if possible.
    If the enemy seems beyond redemption the wanderer will devise an strategy based on the enemies vulnerabilities trying to get them from moving and making sure that he is able to bypass its damage reductions (or at least the damage reductions that he expects to find).
    Once in combat he will fight head on tenderizing everything with his fists. If there exists a chance that the enemy might still be saved he will resort to non-lethal damage if not he is going with normal damage. He will try to keep his spells under control, not using them unless it is extremely necessary. His stunning fists (he has 8 uses per day) are used with less care. If the enemy is truly evil he will use his smite evil combined with a mind over hand strike to be as sure as possible that he will hit.
    If his enemy attacks from afar with a manufactured weapon he would trust to destroy it on contact. If he is attacked with magic ammunition he will actively try to deflect it using his deflect arrows feat.
    If the enemy is using a weapon (and only one) he will actively use his stunning fist in order to make him drop it or try a disarm attack (his unarmed strike is one category larger than normal, it should negate the penalty from trying to disarm with a light weapon).
    Depending on the enemies AC The Wanderer might stop making off hand attacks concentrating on his flurry without penalty. If the enemy is able to hit him repeatedly he might consider using combat expertise to increase it.

Other considerations
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If flaws are allowed you might want to get some, advancing the VoP to the first lvl would net you 4 more skill points (if you also advance nymph kiss) and would let you get Touch of Golden Ice which doesn’t scale well with level (although eventually someone is going to fail a save) but is really good at low level.
    Silverbrow humans would also work well with the build at the end you would have less skill points and you should replace the slow fall of the monk, which ceases to be useful, water walking from Stormwrack sounds nice. It has less skill points though, and those can be hard to get.
    Karsite’s are not a good Idea to use except if you are using LA buyoff and flaws. You can replace Chameleon with Binder and get improved vestige binding Dahlver Nar. I feel that even if this build is stronger defensively speaking (higher AC, Spell resistance, Spell healing and Spell suppression, immunity to WIS dam) is weaker overall since it lacks a lot of mobility and variability of the original build.
    Changeling could be used, with changeling rogue instead of human paragon if you are using flaws since VoP would be need early. This gives a social character that is better than the original build (those take 10 are really strong).
    Recommended flaws: Shaky, Murky eyed.
    Recommended trait: Aggressive
    Cheesing out chameleon is possible, but it is not intended nor the spirit of this build, it was the fastest progression spellcasting available with spells that could solve this build potential problems.

Sources
    All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unearthed Arcana (human paragon) PHB (monk), Complete Champion (monk alternate class features) Dragon Magazine Compendium (monk of the enabled hand), BoED (initiate of pistis sofia), Races of destiny (chameleon), Tome of Battle (Superior unarmed strike) Champions of valor (knight of tyr’s merciful sword). Spell compendium / Completes used as reference for spells.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

NecromancerGuy

Aww, look at the cute little kittyyyargh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharask Goldfang
    Grandmaster Thrask Goldfang
    Spoiler
    Show

The Build
    Spoiler
    Show

Build: LG Catfolk LA1/Monk 6/Monk of the Enabled Hand 2/Saint LA2/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 9

Thrask Goldfang
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Catfolk LA 1|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |---|---|Catfolk Racial Modifiers.

2nd|Monk 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Balance 4, Concentration 4, Jump 4, Tumble 4|Sacred Vow, *Improved Unarmed Strike, *Stunning Fist|Bonus feat, flurry of blows, unarmed strike

3rd|Monk 2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Balance 5, Concentration 5, Jump 5, Tumble 5|*Deflect Arrows| Bonus feat, evasion

4th|Monk 3|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Balance 6, Concentration 6, Jump 6, Tumble 6|Combat Expertise|Still Mind

5th|Monk 4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Balance 7, Concentration 7, Jump 7, Tumble 7|---|Ki strike (magic), slow fall 20 ft.

6th|Monk 5|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Balance 8, Concentration 8, Jump 8, Tumble 8|---|Purity of Body

7th|Monk 6|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Balance 9, Concentration 9, Jump 9, Tumble 9|*Improved Disarm, Vow of Poverty, **Sanctify Ki Strike|Bonus feat, slow fall 30 ft.

8th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 1|
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Balance 10, Concentration 10, Jump 10, Tumble 10|---|Monk abilities; shim soo, "mind over hand"

9th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 2|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Balance 11, Concentration 11, Jump 11, Tumble 11|**Servant of the Heavens|Ki strike (lawful)

10th|Saint LA 1|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Balance 11, Concentration 11, Jump 11, Tumble 11|---|Saint Racial Abilities

11th|Saint LA 2|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Balance 11, Concentration 11, Jump 11, Tumble 11|---|---

12th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 1|
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Balance 12, Concentration 12, Jump 12, Tumble 12|***Fist of the Heavens, Intuitive Strike|Fist of the Heavens, monk abilities

13th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 2|
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Balance 13, Concentration 13, Jump 13, Tumble 13|**Touch of Golden Ice|Detect evil, smite evil 1/day

14th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 3|
    +7
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Balance 14, Concentration 14, Jump 14, Tumble 14|---|Uncanny dodge

15th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 4|
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Balance 15, Concentration 15, Jump 15, Tumble 15| Pharaoh's Fist, **Nimbus of Light, ***Vow of Abstinence|Electricity resistance 5, sacred vow

16th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 5|
    +8
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Balance 16, Concentration 16, Jump 16, Tumble 16|---|Smite evil 2/day

17th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 6|
    +9
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Balance 17, Concentration 17, Jump 17, Tumble 17|**Gift of Discernment|Improved uncanny dodge

18th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7|
    +10
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Balance 18, Concentration 18, Jump 18, Tumble 18|Catfolk Pounce|Electricity resistance 10, sacred vow

19th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 8|
    +11
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Balance 19, Concentration 19, Jump 19, Tumble 19|**Gift of Faith|Smite evil 3/day

20th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 9|
    +11
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Balance 20, Concentration 20, Jump 20, Tumble 20|---|Improved evasion[/table]

Starting stats (original, then without racial modifiers);
    Str 14 (14)
    Dex 16 (12)
    Con 14 (14)
    Int 14 (14)
    Wis 16 (16)
    Cha 10 (8)

Stat Increases:
    6th - Con +1
    13th - Wis +1
    18th - Wis +1

VoP Increases:
    7th - Wis +2
    11th - Wis +2, Con +2
    15th - Wis +2, Con +2, Dex +2
    19th - Wis +2, Con +2, Dex +2, Str +2

Feats with an * are Monk bonus feats.
    Feats with a ** are VoP bonus feats.
    Feats with a *** are IoPS bonus feats.

Sources: SRD, BoED, Sandstorm, PGtF, RotW, DragMagComp

Backstory:
    Spoiler
    Show

Grandmaster of the Holy Fang temple in Solania since anyone can remember, Thrask Goldfang is the head of the largest monk monasteries in Celestia. He originally was an orphan left after a great tribal war in a far-away material plane. As with most orphans from that war, he was dropped off at the Order of the Enabled Hand. Thrask was a pious monk, and slowly became one of the most exalted monks ever to be a part of the order. He would even try to turn the other monks to his way of life, with great success. This soon grated on the more morally dubious members of the monk to a point where a massive brawl broke out, and Thrask died in the brawl. Even to the end, he refused to try and "downgrade" his ideals to fit in with the crowd, and so died for it. But when he went to Celestia, Pistis Sophia herself took note of the Martyr and gave him an offer. If he would take head of a new order of monks, Pistis Sophia herself would bless him with Sainthood and raise him to once again fight. if not, then he would be allowed to pass on to the afterlife proper. He accepted, and so Thrask the Monk became Thrask Goldfang, Grandmaster of the Holy Fang temple, energized with the power of Saitnhood and the powers granted by his new holy patron.

Notes and Overview:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thrask tries to compose the worst of a bad lot into a best. He takes his monk abilities and for a while, plays as a normal monk. Move in, punch faces, move out. MotEH allows Thrask to punch people so hard that said people lose all ability to use their armour. And Thrask's punch IS THE LAAAAAAAW.
    The holiness comes down heavy mid-level, with Sainthood and VoP turning Thrask into some kind of holy lion man. Which is cool, no doubt about it.
    Then the Feral Monk fully becomes an IoPS, and gains all such abilities that entails. Punching evil people so hard they burn or something, making a few more vows, and gaining the ability to dodge things so hard the effect he's dodging does nothing. WOAH. And all throughout? He does the same thing from 1st to 20th. SUPER LION PUNCH!!!!!!

Equipment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    VoP'er. NEXT!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

NecromancerGuy

Please don't invoke this character's name, for Pun-Pun's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle
    Candle, the Lantern of Pistis Sophia

Story
    Spoiler
    Show

...And mighty Torm fought the dread Bane in the city of Tantras, locked in the struggle for supremacy. It was then, in the darkest hour, that the Just God asked his servitors to make the ultimate sacrifice. As their souls departed their mortal vessels, certain children where touched by the vestiges of Torm’s power, infusing them with the power of Law itself.

1358 DR, The Year of Shadows

Candle never knew his parents.

His parents were among the thousands to give up their lives to help Torm defeat Bane during the Godswar. As the few remaining clerics searched out the children of the sacrificed, they encountered a purple skinned babe in a cradle. It was agreed that this child, who would never have a chance at a normal life, be taken in by the church and raised for... special duties in service to Torm. So he was inducted into the Order of the Lantern.

The Order specialised in hunting down the servitors of the dark gods and expunging them. To this end, they raised a cadre of warriors and avengers, armed only with their own bodies, to enact Torm’s will on the Material Plane. Trained equally well in the martial as well as the shadowy arts, they were the warriors elite of Torm’s holy warriors.

Levelling Information
    Spoiler
    Show

Candle, Monk (Cobra Strike School) 6/Ninja 5/Shadowdancer 2/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features
    1st| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 1 |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Perform (dance) 4, Escape Artist 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4|Combat Reflexes, Dodge (B)|Unarmed Strike, WIS to AC, Unarmoured speed bonus, School Bonus (+2 to Escape Artist)
    2nd| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 2 |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Perform (dance) 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1|Mobility (B) |Invisibility(Invisible Fist substitution level, EoE)
    3rd| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 3 |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    | Concentration 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1|Sacred Vow|Still Mind
    4th| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Concentration 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1||Ki Strike (Magic), Wall Walk 20ft
    5th|Ninja 1 |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    | Balance 4, Concentration 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1||[Ki] Power, Sudden Strike +1d6, trapfinding
    6th|Ninja 2|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +5
    | Tumble 4, Concentration 1, Escape Artist 1, Hide 1, Move Silently 1|Ascetic Stalker|Ghost Step (Invisible)
    7th| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 5|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    | Tumble 2, Hide 1, Escape Artist 1| |Purity of Body
    8th| Monk (Cobra Strike School) 6 |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +5
    | Tumble 2, Hide 1, Escape Artist 1|Spring Attack (B)|Wall Walk 30ft
    9th|Shadowdancer 1 |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    | Tumble 2, Hide 1, Move Silently 3|Servant of the Heavens|Hide in Plain Sight
    10th|Shadowdancer 2|
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +5
    |Tumble 2, Hide 1, Move Silently 1, Acrobatic Backstab (skill trick, 2 points)||Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, darkvision
    11th|Ninja 3|
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    | Search 4, Concentration 4||Sudden Strike +2d6, poison use
    12th|Ninja 4|
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    | Search 4, Concentration 1, Disable Device 3|Sanctify Ki Strike|Great Leap
    13th|Ninja 5|
    +8
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    | Search 4, Disable Device 4||Sudden Strike +3d6
    14th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 1 |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +14
    |
    +8
    | Hide 2, Move Silently 1, Tumble 1| Fist of the Heavens (B)|Monk abilities (stacking)
    15th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 2 |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +15
    |
    +9
    | Hide 2, Move Silently 1, Tumble 1|Darkstalker|Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/day
    16th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 3|
    +10
    |
    +9
    |
    +15
    |
    +9
    | Hide 2, Move Silently 1, Tumble 1| |Uncanny Dodge
    17th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 4|
    +11
    |
    +10
    |
    +16
    |
    +10
    | Move Silently 2, Hide 1, Tumble 1|Vow of Abstinence (B)|Electricity Resistance 5
    18th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 5|
    +11
    |
    +10
    |
    +16
    |
    +10
    | Move Silently 2, Hide 1, Tumble 1|Craven|Improved Uncanny Dodge
    19th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 6|
    +12
    |
    +11
    |
    +17
    |
    +11
    | Move Silently 2, Hide 1, Tumble 1||Smite Evil 2/day
    20th| Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7|
    +13
    |
    +11
    |
    +17
    |
    +11
    | Move Silently 1, Hide 1, Tumble 2|Vow of Chastity (B)|Electricity Resistance 10[/table]

General Information
    Spoiler
    Show

Candle, LG male Zenythri
    Levels: Monk 4/Ninja 2/Monk 2/Shadowdancer 2/Ninja 3/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7

Stats at 1st level (32 PB)

Str: 10->12 (+2 racial) (+1 bonus)
    Dex: 14->16 (+2 racial) (+3 bonus)
    Con: 14->14 (+2 bonus)
    Int: 10->10 (+0 bonus)
    Wis: 14->16(+2 racial) (+3 bonus)
    Cha: 16->14 (-2 racial) (+2 bonus)
    *4th, 8th, 16th and 20th level ability points go into Dexterity, 12th level goes into Charisma

Racial Traits: resistance 5 to fire/sonic/electricity, Skill bonus (+2 to survival and Balance), true strike 1/day (CL=ECL). Favoured Class: Monk

Final stats (naked)
    Candle
    Monk (Cobra School) 6/Ninja 5/Shadowdancer 2/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7
    Medium Outsider (Native)
    HD: 15d8+5d6+40 (115hp, assuming 1/2HD+1 per level)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 70ft, 30ft up walls
    AC: 20 (+5 dex, +3 wis, +2 armour bonus) +2 against declared Dodge target
    Special Actions: True Strike 1/day (CL=ECL), Ki power 5/day
    Special Qualities: Resistance to Electricity 10, Fire 5, Sonic 5
    Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+14
    Attack: Unarmed Strike +14, damage (per hit): 2d8+1 (+1 if the opponent is evil, or +1d4 to evil outsiders/undead) (+3d6 if opponent is caught flat-footed)
    Full Attack: Unarmed Strike +14/+9/+4 or Flurry +14/+14/+9/+4
    Saves: +13 Fort, +22 Reflex, +14* Will (*+16 to Will, assuming at least 1 point in Candle’s ki pool)
    Stats: Str 12, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 15
    Feats: Combat Reflexes (1st), Dodge (Bonus at 1st), Mobility (Bonus at 2nd), Sacred Vow (3rd), Ascetic Stalker (6th), Spring Attack (Bonus at 8th), Servant of the Heavens (9th), Sanctify Ki Strike (12th), Fist of the Heavens (Bonus at 14th), Darkstalker (15th), Vow of Obedience (Bonus at 17th), Craven (18th), Vow of Chastity (Bonus at 20th)
    Skills: Balance 4 ranks (+13), Concentration 9 ranks (+11), Disable Device 7 ranks (+7), Escape Artist 9 ranks (+16), Hide 23 ranks (+28, +48 if invisible and mobile, +68 if invisible and immobile), Move Silently 23 ranks (+28), Perform (dance) 5 ranks (+7), Search 12 ranks (+12), Tumble 20 ranks (+25)
    *Note: Candle’s unarmed strikes count as Good, Lawful and Magic to overcome DR

Initiate of Pistis Sophia and Candle
    Spoiler
    Show

PrC Abilities

Monk abilities (stacking): Unarmed combat remains his preferred method of combat, and adding the SI’s levels to the monk levels insures that there’s no penalty on his Flurry of Blows.

Detect Evil: Lets Candle know firstly when to use his Smite Evil ability, and secondly to determine who he can trust (not who to distrust, mind you).

Bonus Feats: Fist of the Heavens is wasted on Candle (though see Adaptations), while the Vow feats give bonuses to specific effects on top of already good saves (Fort/Will are nearly the equal of straight monk, while Ref is noticeable higher), they’re mainly used for roleplaying purposes.

Smite Evil: Bonuses to hit/damage the bad guys fits in perfectly with new mission as part of Pistis Sophia’s elite agents to safeguard serenity and expose the truth.

Uncanny Dodge/Improved uncanny Dodge: Uncanny Dodge by itself is, unfortunately, wasted here (due to Shadowdancer 2 giving the same thing, with no way to trade either of them out), but the Improved version lets him be effectively immune to flanking (needing a 24th level rogue/ninja)

Resistances: At 17th level the electricity resistance is ignored in favour of the Zethyri’s racial resistances, but the 7th level of the PrC stacks it on top, giving Candle a barely relevant 10/5/5 resistance to electricity/sonic/fire.

What Candle misses out on
    Spoiler
    Show

Smite Evil 3/day: While regrettable to lose the third smite/day, it’s entirely possible to make it up by either adding a flaw to grab Extra Smite (CW) or to drop Craven (non suggested).

Improved Evasion: With Reflex saves at a base +17 (with evasion) before applying ability modifiers/items, Improved evasion isn’t really necessary, as he isn’t likely to be falling prey to many reflex saves.

Bonus Sacred Vow: Honestly, boo hoo. Bonuses to a very specific type of save. The only interesting part of this would be the additional roleplaying requirement.

Celestial Transformation: Of all the features to lose, this one hurts the most. Not the Outsider typing – as a Zenythri, Candle is already an Outsider (native). It’s the DR 10/unholy, a type almost never seen in 3.5. This isn’t as great a loss as it seems, however, since Candle’s goal is to not get hit in the first place. Still, it would have made an excellent safety cushion.

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show

Selected excerpts from the journal of Overknight Zelazny, Leader of the Order of the Lantern, Holy Paladin in Torm’s service

Level 1
    Training at the Illuminated Abbey was harsh. The bleak mountain that the citadel sat upon was used in the daily training exercises, and the cave systems below the abbey were continually restocked with goblins and kobolds rising from the Underdark. One of the students, the lavender-skinned boy named Candle by the Prelate Nanatar, showed a remarkable affinity for the shadows.
    Spoiler
    Show

Your basic first level monk with a notable focus on sneaking. Sneak up to the opponent, (hopefully) hit their flat footed AC, then let your Combat Reflexes feat tag nearby enemies for some extra damage.

Level 5
    One of the school graduates has taken Candle underneath his wing. While Gideon’s predilection for staying to the shadows is near-obsessive, his services to the Order cannot be mistaken. Young Candle has taken to emulating his mentor, practicing methods to disappear from sight entirely.
    Spoiler
    Show

Things have gotten interesting. With the Invisibility ACF from Exemplars of Evil (which curiously has NO pre-req for alignment), you can now not only go invisible 1/3 rounds, but you’ve replaced your slow fall with another ACF, letting you walk up walls (as long as you end your movement on a surface that can support you) and Sudden Strike +1d6 as well for a bit of bonus damage. You’re still focused mainly on stealth/scouting, but you’ve picked up some trapfinding to work as an emergency trapmonkey.

Level 10
    Candle has returned successfully from his first mission! After meditating and fasting for three days, he selected most holy Pistis Sophia as his divine patron to watch over him. I am sure that it was through her patronage alone that he survived his task; there were many more supporters of Bane’s cleric than we thought possible in Tantras. The cleric, Razd, refused to be brought into the light of Torm’s might and lashed out savagely with his foul spells – Candle will bear those scars through to the end of his days.
    Spoiler
    Show

You’ve finished both levels of Shadowdancer, so now darkness is your friend. In between HiPS and your good hide modifier, Invisibility, Acrobatic Backstab and ghost step, you’ve got more than enough chances to hit your opponents with a Sudden Strike. Since Candle has the requisite skill ranks, his Dodge feat now provides a +2 bonus to its target instead of a +1 bonus, thanks to Cobra Strike School.

Level 15
    Candle has exceeded all of our expectations. A servitor of Pistis Sophia herself, Drusulai, came down from the Crystal Heaven itself to ordain my student as a fellow servitor of the Ascetic. He briefly pulled him aside, and, as he left, pressed a number of small sealed containers into Candle’s hands, and a white leather bound book into Prelate Nanatar’s hands. They appear to be ravages, rare spiritual concoctions that supernaturally punish the wicked, and a book containing instructions on how to distil more.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now you’ve finally started on our SI, but you’ve also picked up a few goodies (such as poison use and actual skill points in Disable Device to function as an emergency trapmonkey), which means that now you can go crazy with ravages. Same strategies as before, really. Use your various methods to make your opponents flat-footed, then go to town with your shiny new +3d6 Sudden Strike.

Level 20
    In my last official act as Leader of the Order of the Lantern, I hereby place it’s guidance in the hands of its most proficient member, Candle. Since he was ordained as a champion of the Divine nearly twenty year ago, he has served Mighty Torm and Pistis Sophia with strength, grace, and most importantly, conviction. All who seek to undermine the efforts of the just on the Dragon Coast know to fear his name.
    Spoiler
    Show

Your capabilities have hit their peak, especially since you’ve picked up Craven and Darkstalker. Smite Evil gets you some (minor) bonuses to hit/damage, while detect evil makes sure that you aren’t wasting your 2 smites per day.

Equipment:
    Spoiler
    Show

Regular CO gear is, of course, appreciated. Bonuses to Dexterity and Hide/Move Silently are especially useful.

Eggshell grenades are amazing, leaving the targets blinded (and thus vulnerable to Sudden Strike).

Candles’ real issue, though is Damage Reduction. His unarmed strikes trike as Good, Lawful and Magic. I’d recommend a +1 Shadowstriking (+3 weapon property from ToM) non-blunt monk weapon to overcome damage reduction.

Adaptations
    Spoiler
    Show

-If flaws are allowed, take Servant of the Heavens as your flaw feat and GRAB WEAPON FINESSE. A possible second feat would be to grab Stunning Fist, to actually take advantage of Fist of the Heavens.

-LA Buyoff is assumed here; if it’s not available, all Candle really loses is his second Vow feat, 5 points of electricity resistance and d8+2 hit points.

-Expanded Ki Pool (and, to a lesser degree, Enduring Ki) could find their uses here, especially adding to the size of your (meagre) ki pool.

Books used
    Spoiler
    Show

Primary books used: Core, Complete Adventurer, Book of Exalted Deeds

Secondary: Complete Scoundrel (Ascetic Hunter, skill tricks), Exemplars of Evil (Invisible Fist sub level), Unearthed Arcana (Cobra Strike School monk), Monster Manual 2 (Zenythri)

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

NecromancerGuy

A whale of a build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koko
    The curious and sad tale of Koko the fish faced boy
    Spoiler
    Show

It is perhaps not entirely an exaggeration to call him an 'idiot savant', but it would be a cruel statement to make about such a pure and gentle soul. While none knew precisely where he came from, or what language he spoke, or why he went on epic adventures with violent maniacs who couldn't understand him, or even why he insisted on carrying 400 gallons of water with him wherever he went, none can argue with the fact that his passage changed people. And nearly all of them survived the experience to spread his message of peace and love through brutal beatings.

While his tale is as large and ponderous as he is, perhaps the most telling portion is from his introduction to the world of men. He arrived in the tiny port town of Lesser Snot-on-the-white-beard, simply walking out of the surf at the edge of the town. Everyone who witnessed the strange nearly-naked behemoth swore he must be some monstrous creature of the depths rising up to wipe the town from the map - every able-bodied man in the village was roused and brought with them weaponry, and a small band of adventuerers was summoned from the midst of a bar fight in the town's only inn to deal with the creature. It was fortunate that they were still mostly drunk, because it gave Koko enough time to approach the orphanage on the far side of town and offer them the gift he brought with him from the depths of the sea - the sunken treasure of Whitebeard the Half-dead.

When the band of adventurers went to take the treasure from the orphans, Koko did what he became famous for - he beat the everloving stuffing out of the wayward adventurers until they swore to be good. And so Koko was given his name by a young girl from the orphanage who thought the dragon-whale-man looked funny. And from there, his legend only grew!

Playing tips:
    Spoiler
    Show

I have not optimised this character for power - I have determined through the scientific process of observation and laughing my rear end off that the secret ingredient makes that impossible - there is ABSOLUTELY nothing unique about this class, except possibly "DR 10/unholy", which I just couldn't concieve of a way to actually exploit. However, the recommendation in the flavor text that a 'monk/paladin' multiclass character was the ideal entry simply 'inspired' me. The fact that you're basically forced to take 3 extra sacred vows after entry sealed the deal.
    With that in mind, I have done what the author of this class most obviously intended and I optimized for acquiring as many arbitrary and nearly-useless rules a character has to follow!
    As such, Koko the fish-faced boy suffers from extreme obsessive-compulsive-disorder. His obsession is acquiring new rules to follow. His compulsion is following them! In a vague attempt at power optimization, I chose the most obviously broken race possible and applied a useful template. It almost makes up for the prestige class. Almost. On to the build!

The Build!
    Spoiler
    Show

Race: Dragonborn (Wings) Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale
    Stats: S 22 D 16 Co 18 I 14 W 16 C 14
    Final Stats: S 34 D 20 Co 20 I 14 W 22 C 15
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Flaw: Shaky (Yes, he has 1 flaw. Yes, I know this costs me a point of elegance.)

1|Racial HD 1|1|0|0|2|Climb 1, Listen 4, Survival 4, Swim 4, Move Silent 4|Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Nymph's Kiss|
    2|Racial HD 2|2|0|0|3|Climb 2, Listen 5, Survival 5, Swim 5, Move Silent 5|Vow of Non-violence|
    3|Racial HD 3|3|1|1|3|Climb 3, Listen 6, Survival 6, Swim 6, Move Silent 6|Combat Expertise|
    4|Paladin 1|4|3|1|3|Diplomacy 5|Improved Disarm, Vow of Peace|Aura of Good, Smite Evil 1/day, Detect Evil
    5|Monk 1|4|5|3|5|Balance 5, Concentration 3, Tumble 1|Stunning Fist|Flurry, Wis to AC,
    6|Monk 2|5|6|4|6|Diplomancy 8, Concentration 6, Tumble 4|Deflect Arrows, Touch of Golden Ice|Evasion
    7|Monk of the Enabled Hand 1|3|1|1|3|Tumble 10, Move Silent 7||Monk abilities, "Mind over Hand"
    8|MotEH 2|3|1|1|3|Tumble 11, Move Silent 11, Diplomacy 10|Sanctify Ki Strike|Ki Strike (Lawful)
    9|MotEH 3|3|1|1|3|Tumble 12, Move Silent 12, Diplomacy 12, Concentration 9|Combat Reflexes|"Reverse Hand"
    10|MotEH 4|3|1|1|3|Tumble 13, Move Silent 13, Diplomacy 13, Listen 10|Servant of the Heavens|"Empty Hand"
    11|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 1|3|1|1|3|Tumble 14, Move Silent 14, Diplomacy 14, Listen 14|Fist of the Heavens|Monk abilities
    12|IoPS 2|3|1|1|3|Tumble 15, Move Silent 15, Diplomacy 15, Listen 15, Know(religion) 3|Improved Trip|Smite Evil 2/day
    13|IoPS 3|3|1|1|3|Tumble 16, Move Silent 16, Diplomacy 16, Listen 16, Know(religion) 6||Uncanny Dodge
    14|IoPS 4|3|1|1|3|Tumble 17, Move Silent 17, Diplomacy 17, Listen 17, Know(religion) 9|Vow of Chastity, Vow of Obedience|Electricity Resist 5
    15|IoPS 5|3|1|1|3|Tumble 18, Move Silent 18, Diplomacy 18, Listen 18, Know(religion) 12|Pain Touch|Smite Evil 3/day
    16|IoPS 6|3|1|1|3|Tumble 19, Move Silent 19, Diplomacy 19, Listen 19, Know(religion) 15|Nimbus of Light|Improved Uncanny Dodge
    17|IoPS 7|3|1|1|3|Tumble 20, Move Silent 20, Diplomacy 20, Listen 20, Know(religion) 18|Vow of Abstinence|Electricity Resist 10
    18|IoPS 8|3|1|1|3|Tumble 21, Move Silent 21, Diplomacy 21, Listen 21, Know(religion) 21|Weakening Touch, Stigmata|Smite Evil 4/day
    19|IoPS 9|3|1|1|3|Tumble 22, Move Silent 22, Diplomacy 22, Listen 22, Know(religion) 22, Survival 8||Improved Evasion
    20|IoPS 10|3|1|1|3|Tumble 23, Move Silent 23, Diplomacy 23, Listen 23, Know(religion) 23, Survival 10|Vow of Purity, Holy Light|Celestial Transformation[/table]

Tacitcs and ability by level:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 3-5 - While level 3 is technically the earliest playable level of this build, level 5 is really the intended starting point. Once you get a level of monk, dealing non-lethal damage becomes much simpler. And really, this class is built around dealing non-lethal damage, grappling, disarming, tripping, and in all other ways forcing your enemies to deal with you on your own terms. Being naturally large, with an extreme strength and a positively ridiculous AC (27 at level 5) while virtually naked, this makes for a fairly dangerous character despite the severe limitations placed on their actions. And of course, while they are limited to being strictly GOOD in D&D terms, this does not in any way prevent creative solutions to problems, including Diplomacy (enhanced by the calming aura from Vow of Peace), stealth, approaching problems from unexpected directions (flight, swimming, climbing, etc.), or beating it into submission (peacefully, with non-lethal blows, stunning fists, etc.)
    Level 6-10 - Monk of the Enabled Hand provides two important things: Ki Strike (Lawful), which lets us get into the secret ingredient, and Reverse Hand which means that anyone striking the monk in melee gets an attack of opportunity (at -5 to hit) in return. This makes Combat Reflexes (gained at the same time) very nice for dealing retributive attacks against your enemies - especially since "empty hand" does not limit the number of attacks you can turn back in this way! You also get the ability to turn your hand into effectively a bright energy weapon for 1 attack, 5/day ("Mind over hand", not an action), as well as a +8 on Disarm checks ("Empty Hand").
    Level 11-20 - The secret ingredient. What does it do? Well, it advances everything you've gotten before. You get more smite evil, more Monk bonuses, more exalted feats and higher saves. Uncanny dodge is quite useful, if a bit late, and the improved versions of it and evasion are somewhat helpful. The electricity resistence does not stack with the VoP version, which is higher. As a capstone, you gain the Native Outsider type and DR 10/unholy, which is at least rare enough to be hard to bypass. The primary benefit of the prestige class is in roleplaying purposes - as an Initiate of Pistis Sophia, you are literally taking on ever more stringent and limiting rules that don't measurably benefit or usually even suit you particularly well, which is the entire point of the character, really.

Equipment
    Spoiler
    Show

As you're allowed to carry one day's food, you at all times have on you a waterproof sack containing 400 gallons of seawater full of krill and plankton. Your vow of peace prevents you from eating this. But you have it anyway. Just because.

Sources:
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragonborn template: Races of the Dragon
    Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale: Savage Species
    Monk of the Enabled Hand: Dragon Compendium
    Weakening Touch, Pain Touch: Complete Warrior
    Flaw:Shaky: Unearthed Arcana
    Everything else: Core or Book of Exalted Deeds (mostly the latter)

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

NecromancerGuy

And he will keep me safe. And he will keep me warm. And rain will make the flowers grow. -Cosette, Les Miserables
    Quote Originally Posted by Guang Pho Sung
    He was 15 when the rains came and washed away his village.

Taken in by the monks of the Sun Shun Monestary

Spoiler
    Show

Guang

Spoiler
    Show

Pho

Spoiler
    Show

Sung

Spoiler
    Show

STARS IN…

Spoiler
    Show

The Initiate of Pistis Sophia

Spoiler
    Show

Trained in the art of Shim Soo, he defends the monestary against the demonic army of Jan Kuan.

Guang Pho Sung Build
    Spoiler
    Show

Guang Pho Sung -- Goliath -- Passive Way, Decisive Strike Monk 2/ Fighter 5 / Monk of the Enabled Hand 2 / Fighter 1 / Initiate of Pistis Sophia 10
    {table=head]Level|Class|
    BAB
    |
    Fort Save
    |
    Ref Save
    |
    Will Save
    |Skills|Feats|
    1st|Monk (Passive Way, Decisive Strike)|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Balance 4, Consentration 4, Tumble 4, Jump 4|Improved Unarmed Strike(B), Combat Expertise(B), Improved Disarm|Decisive Strike (ACF), Passive Way (ACF)
    2nd|Monk|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Balance 5, Consentration 5, Tumble 5, Jump 5|Improved Trip(B)|Evasion
    3rd|Fighter|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Consentration 5.5, Tumble 5.5|Stunning Fist(B), Sacred Vow|
    4th|Fighter|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Consentration 6, Tumble 6|Deflect Arrows(B)|
    5th|Fighter|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Consentration 6.5, Tumble 6.5||
    6th|Fighter|
    +5
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Consentration 7, Tumble 7|Weapon Focus(Guisarme)(B), Servant of the Heavens|
    7th|Fighter|
    +6
    |
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Consentration 7.5, Tumble 7.5||
    8th|The monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Consentration 8.5, Tumble 10.5||Monk abilities; shim soo, "mind over hand"
    9th|The monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Tumble 11.5, Spot 1, Skill Trick (Back on Your Feet)|Sanctify Ki Strike|Ki strike (lawful)
    10th|Fighter|
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Consentration 9, Tumble 12|Pole Fighter(B)|
    11th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +8
    |
    +13
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Tumble 13, Spot 2, Skill Trick (Up the Hill)||Fist of the Heavens, monk abilities
    12th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +9
    |
    +14
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Tumble 14, Spot 3, Skill Trick (Twisted Charge)|Combat Reflexes|Detect evil, smite evil 1/day, Ki Strike (Magic)
    13th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +10
    |
    +14
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Tumble 15, Spot 4, Climb 2||Uncanny dodge
    14th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +11
    |
    +15
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Tumble 16, Spot 5, Climb 4|Vow of Chastity(B)|Electricity resistance 5, sacred vow
    15th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +11
    |
    +15
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Tumble 17, Spot 6, Climb 6|Robilar's Gambit|Smite evil 2/day
    16th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +12
    |
    +16
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Tumble 18, Spot 7, Climb 8||Improved uncanny dodge
    17th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +13
    |
    +16
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Tumble 19, Spot 8, Climb 10|Vow of Purity(B)|Electricity resistance 10, sacred vow
    18th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +14
    |
    +17
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Tumble 20, Spot 9, Climb 12|Stunning Master|Smite evil 3/day
    19th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +14
    |
    +17
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Tumble 21, Spot 10, Climb 14||Improved evasion
    20th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +15
    |
    +18
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Tumble 22, Spot 11, Climb 16|Vow of Abstinence(B)|Celestial transformation, sacred vow[/table]

Ability Scores
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]|Str|Dex|Con|Int|Wis|Cha
    Starting|13|15|14|9|14|14
    Racial|4|-2|2|||
    Increased at Level|4|12|||16, 20|8
    Final|18|14|16|9|16|15[/table]

Monk Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Level|BAB|
    Flurry
    |
    AC Bonus
    |
    Unarmored Speed Bonus
    |Unarmed Damage
    1st|0|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    2nd|1|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    3rd|2|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    4th|3|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    5th|4|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    6th|5|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    7th|6|
    |
    |
    |1d6
    8th|6|
    +4/+4/-1
    |
    |
    |1d6
    9th|7|
    +5/+5/+0
    |
    |
    |1d8
    10th|8|
    +6/+6/+1
    |
    |
    |1d8
    11th|8|
    +6/+6/+1
    |
    |
    |1d8
    12th|9|
    +7/+7/+2
    |
    |
    |1d8
    13th|10|
    +9/+9/+6
    |
    |
    |1d8
    14th|11|
    +10/+10/+5/+0
    |
    |
    |1d10
    15th|11|
    +10/+10/+5/+0
    |
    |
    |1d10
    16th|12|
    +11/+11/+6/+1
    |
    |
    |1d10
    17th|13|
    +13/+13/+8/+3
    |
    |
    |1d10
    18th|14|
    +14/+14/+9/+4
    |
    |
    |2d6
    19th|14|
    +14/+14/+14/+9/+4
    |
    |
    |2d6
    20th|15|
    +15/+15/+15/+10/+5
    |
    |
    |2d6[/table]

Playability
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1-5
    Guang Pho Sung starts off as a decisive strike and passive way monk. The Decisive strike increases his damage output early on before he gains additional attacks. Passive way helps him become a (bit) less MAD by reducing the need to have a 13 INT for Combat Expertise. His general tactic is to use his feats to disarm, trip, and stunning to control his enemies. Being a Goliath, he has very good modifiers to complete these maneuvers (thank you powerful build). His defense is decent with Deflect Arrows and Combat Expertise and Evasion.
    Level 6-10
    This is where Guang’s offense starts to take off a bit. He gains weapon focus with a Guisarme and the Pole Fighter feat with opens up his ability to attack, and trip with reach. This is also the level range where he gains back Flurry of Blows via the Monk of the Enabled Hand prestige class. He generally uses his Guisarme at this point in his career for his primary damage due to it doing 2d6 as a large weapon (thank you powerful build again!) But he still threatens adjacent squares with his unarmed strike. Shim Soo twice a day makes it very easy to hit an opponent since he can treat his attacks as touch attacks. Back On Your Feet skill trick helps stand if every knocked down. Servant of the Heavens helps for those moments
    Level 11-15
    These levels are where options really open up. Guang can go defensive and do a decent amount of damage with AOOs via Combat Reflexes and Robilar’s Gambit. He gains additional damage from his Smiting ability, and the ability to bypass magic DR with unarmed strikes now. If he wants to go more offensive, he now has 3-4 attacks per round (with reach) from his growing flurry of blows. Again, Guang Pho Sung’s defenses grow with Uncanny Dodge and Electricity Resistance and Vow of Chastity.
    Level 16-20
    Guang Pho Sung can now stun (with a bonus from Sanctify Ki Strike) with reach for even more battlefield control. This is where his defenses really start to shine and where the sweet spot of the build is. The addition of Improved Uncanny Dodge, Improved Evasion, increased Resistance, and transforming into Celestial make damaging Guang even more difficult (Yay DR 10/unholy). His offense reaches its peak with full Flurry of Blows Progression at level 19. His Unarmed Strike now deals as much damage as his large Guisarme.

Item Wish List
    Spoiler
    Show

Aside from the normal equipment a Monk would want (Ability enhancers forSTR/DEX/CON/WIS, Monk’s Belt, Bracers of Armor, Necklace of Natural Attacks, Guang would also need Large Magical Guisarme.

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Unearthed Arcana - Passive way ACF
    PH2 - Decisive Strike, Robilar's Gambit
    CS - Skill Tricks
    BoED - Secret Ingredient and exalted feats
    Dragon Compendium - Monk of the Enabled Hand, Pole Fighter Feat
    Secrets of Sarlona - Stunning Master
    PHB - Fighter, Monk, Feats

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

NecromancerGuy

All in favor, say 'Aye.' All opposed. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Naye
    Naye, Pariah of Aralith

Equiceph – Lawful Good – Monk 2 / Monk of the Enabled Hand 4 / Initiate of Pistis Sophia 10

Spoiler
    Show

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    The equicephs are long-lost remnants of a distant, peaceful civilization. This ancient society maintained the peace by exiling it’s worst criminals to a land across the sea. The equicephs are the descendants of these cruel lawbreakers. They retain the superior intellect and insight of their ancestors, though they apply their gifts to villainy rather than to harmony. Whether the peaceful equiceph society still survives somewhere over the horizon or has long ago fallen is a disputed matter of legend.
    All his young life, Naye had heard tales of the raiders. Twisted shadows of his people’s ancient past, wreaking their vengeance upon the faithful, generations after their forefathers had fallen to sin. Thieves. Slavers. Murderers. The legends say that his people were once mighty. But Naye knew only the remote mountain valley where his small clan tended their fields.

That changed the night the equiceph slavers came. Surging out of the night, the brutal raiders crushed the clan militia and executed all the adult males who had not died in the fighting. They knocked over the clan’s shrine and made a pyre of the bodies, burning like a beacon in the night atop the piles of harvested wheat and hay. The females and children (of which Naye was still one) were clapped in irons and dragged off into the night.

The dawn brought no hope and no respite, only a long journey to the sea and the waiting ship. Those that were still healthy enough were chained to the oars so that they might speed their journey into darkness. The few that resisted still were beaten, and those that did not survive were dumped overboard without ceremony. Naye spoke not a word to his captors, but never averted his eyes. How he survived the beatings he was never sure, but it sapped the very strength from him and he was ages in recovering.

His new home, if it could be called that, was the island of Aralith, the seat of the new Equiceph realm. A vast, forested land, his captor’s towns clung to the shoreline like stains on the rim of a tankard. The farming and net fishing that supported the place was done entirely by a large population of slave labor of many races, though the captive females of their own people were taken as “house slaves” and suffered an equally unkind existence. Here too, hope was not to be found, and any slave who weakened, or worse showed tendency to resist, was dropped as bait in exhibition matches against carnivorous beasts of all types.

So Naye resolved to become that hope, but he had to do it by quietly helping others. He worked his nets diligently, stashing away what edibles he could so he could provide better food for the wounded and the sick. He made a solemn vow every day when only the waters could hear him, never to stop helping, never to rest until he had done all he could for these captives and anyone else he could help.

But his acts of kindness attracted unwanted attention. His dark cousins began to notice the way the other slaves regarded Naye, how they smiled at him, how Naye gave them a shred of confidence. So they gathered the slaves and made an example of Nay. One hundred and one lashings they gave him, before they dropped his lifeless body in the bay for all to witness.

Only somehow… Naye survived. Invigorated by the cold water, he managed to slip his bonds and swim under the shadow of a slaver galley. He hauled himself aboard unseen to tend his wounds as best he could and to sleep like he had not slept in weeks. While he lay there he dreamed a dream of a monastery of stone and light, of warriors dedicated to serenity and justice, and of a great winged woman bidding him welcome.

Naye knew he couldn’t help the people here any longer, not like this. He had to get out of here, to become a warrior, or an aesthetic, or maybe both, and come back to liberate the slaves when he had more options. So he slipped over the side before dawn with a spare beam and waited in the water in the long shadows under the stern. The ship was leaving the harbor, bound for who knew where and another cargo of slaves. Naye hid beneath it for several hours until the ship entered a fog bank and then just let go and began paddling his wooden plank in the direction he thought might be land.

He barely made it, washing up on a beach the next day, exhausted and hungry. He kept to the woods and the shadows, avoiding the native folk until he was well inland, figuring that one of his breed would not be a welcome sight on any shore near here. Weeks went by before he happened upon a travelling monk. Moved by Naye’s tale, the monk guided him to the monastery he sought.

The elders of the monastery too had had a dream about Naye, and they accepted him in with no hesitation. They told him that the Vow Naye had made many times over had somehow carried along the waters all the way to the shores of Celestia, where pilgrims to Solania had heard him. They affirmed his beliefs and continued his education in matters of religion and meditation, healing his body and attempting to mend his wounded soul.

But his Vow had been made in the presence of slavers, and while they still roamed Naye could not rest. So the elders of the Monastery taught Naye the arts of defense as well as of the spirit. Meditation and motion, contemplation and combat, he learned to live with the dichotomy of harmony and vengeance. The doubt that he might become like his captors, full of hatred and revenge, drove Naye ever higher in pursuit of piety and the abandonment of needs.

Finally, Naye was ready to continue. He would find a group of good souls who, like him, had a score to settle with the slavers of Aralith. Naye would free those that still lived under their heel, and would make them pay for each one that no longer did.

The Build
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]STR|DEX|CON|INT|WIS|CHA|-|Description
    14|14|12|14|14|12|-|32 point buy
    22|14|14|14|16|14|-|after racial bonuses +1 CHA at 6th, +1 WIS at 10th, 13th, 16th, 20th [/table]
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Bonus Exalted Feats|Class Features

6th|Equiceph|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration (cc) 3, Escape Artist (cc) 2, Kno (Religion) (cc) 3|Combat Expertise, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty|Gift of Discernment| Size Large, Darkvision, Low Light Vision, 40’ move, +5 NA, Monstrous Humanoid
    7th|Monk 1|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 6, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 6|Stunning Fist|-|Improved Unarmed Strike, Flurry of Blows, WIS to AC
    8th|Monk 2|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9|Deflect Arrows, Improved Disarm|Touch of Golden Ice|Evasion
    9th|MEH 1|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Diplomacy 3, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 3|-|-|Shim Soo (Mind over Hand), Monk Abilities

10th|MEH 2|
    +6
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Diplomacy 6, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 6|-|Servant of the Heavens|Ki Strike (Lawful)

11th|MEH 3|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Diplomacy 9, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 9|Combat Reflexes|-|Kai Soo (Reverse Hand)

12th|MEH 4|
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Diplomacy 12, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12|-|Sanctify Ki Strike|Lung Soo (Empty Hand)
    -|LA Buyoff|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|IPS 1|
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Diplomacy 12, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 3, Listen 3|-|Fist of the Heavens|Monk Abilities

13th|IPS 2|
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Diplomacy 12, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 6, Listen 6|Improved Natural Attack|Holy Ki Strike|Detect Evil, Smite Evil (1/day)
    14th|IPS 3|
    +10
    |
    +11
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Diplomacy 12, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 9, Listen 9|-|-|Uncanny Dodge
    -|LA Buyoff|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|IPS 4|
    +11
    |
    +12
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Diplomacy 12, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 12, Listen 12|-|Nimbus of Light, Sacred Vow (Obedience)|Resist Electric 5

15th|IPS 5|
    +11
    |
    +12
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Diplomacy 18, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 12, Listen 12|Law Devotion|-|Smite Evil (2/day)

16th|IPS 6|
    +12
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |Diplomacy 18, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 18, Listen 12|-|Holy Radiance|Improved Uncanny Dodge

17th|IPS 7|
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |Diplomacy 18, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 12, Spot 18, Listen 18|-|Sacred Vow (Abstinence)|Resist Electric 10
    18th|IPS 8|
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +17
    |
    +17
    |Diplomacy 21, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 15, Spot 18, Listen 18|Law Devotion|Sanctify Natural Attack|Smite Evil (3/day)
    19th|IPS 9|
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +17
    |
    +17
    |Diplomacy 21, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 15, Spot 21, Listen 21|-|-|Improved Evasion
    20th|IPS 10|
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +18
    |
    +18
    |Diplomacy 23, Swim 5, Survival 7, Concentration 9, Escape Artist 2, Kno (Religion) 9, Tumble 15, Spot 23, Listen 23|-|Stigmata, Sacred Vow (Chastity)|Celestial Transformation [/table]

Monk and Vow of Poverty Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Level|Stats (incl levels + poverty)|Damage|Dmg Bonuses|AC|Other

6th|s22 d14 c14 i14 w16 ch15|2d6+9|+1 Magic|21ac|large spear, Endure Elements

7th|-|1d8+6 (2 attacks)|-|24ac|Stunning Fist, Sustenance
    8th|-|-|Golden Ice|26ac|Improved Disarm (Large)
    9th|s24 d14 c14 i14 w16 ch15|1d8+7 (2)|Mind Over Hand|-|Resist +1, 50’ move
    10th|s24 d14 c14 i14 w17 ch15|2d6+7 (3)|+1 Magic Lawful|27ac|Mind Shielding
    11th|-|-|Reverse Hand|29ac|Combat Reflexes
    12th|-|-|+2 Magic Lawful Good, +1(1d4)|-|Empty Hand (Huge Disarm), DR 5/magic, 60’ Move
    LA|-|-|-|-|-
    12th|s26 d14 c14 i14 w19 ch15|2d6+8 (3)|Fist of the Heavens|28ac|-
    13th|s26 d14 c14 i14 w20 ch15|3d8+8 (3)|+2d6 Holy, Smite|31ac|Greater Sustenance
    14th|-|-|-|-|Resist +2, 70’ Move, Energy Resist 5
    LA|-|-|-|-|-
    14th|-|3d8+8 (4)|+3 Magic Lawful Good|-|Freedom of Movement
    15th|s28 d16 c14 i14 w22 ch15|3d8+9 (5)|-|35ac|DR 5/evil, Law Devotion
    16th|s28 d16 c14 i14 w23 ch15|4d6+9 (5)|-|36ac|80’ move
    17th|-|-|+4 Magic Lawful Good|-|Resist +3, Regeneration
    18th|-|-|+2(2d4)|38ac|Law Devotion (x2), True Seeing
    19th|s30 d18 c16 i14 w25 ch15|4d6+10 (5)|-|41ac|DR 10/evil, 90’ move

20th|s30 d18 c16 i14 w26 ch15|4d8+10 (5)|+5 magic lawful good, +2(2d4) sanctified, +2d6 holy|42ac|DR 10/Unholy, Energy Resist 15, [/table]

Level Highlights
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 7 – Nay has escaped his captors and found refuge in a monastery where he is being trained. He’s a high strength, size large monk with a decent AC, but his best attack is with a simple spear at this point. Nay has also taken advantage of Feat Retraining at this point to retrain his bonus Endurance feat into Combat Expertise as part of pursuing the way of the Enabled Hand.

Level 12 – This is Nay as he is right before he jumps into Initiate of Pistis Sophia, representing significant time as an adventurer. His monk training is complete, and he can dish out 3 attacks a round at 2d6+9 (or more) damage. More importantly, Monk of the Enabled Hand allows him to strike as a touch attack several times per day, to use attacks of opportunity on any opponent who strikes him, and to disarm opponants as if wielding a size Huge Weapon with an extra +4 bonus due to Improved Disarm. Those last two in particular combine to make sure that melee opponents lose their primary weapon, especially any weapon capable of getting through his humble DR 5/magic.

Level 15 – Sweet Spot – The last several levels have been very kind to Nay. He has five attacks a round now (+23/+23/+23/+18/+13) that hit for 3d8+12 (plus more dice vs evil opponents). He can boost those to-hit rolls (or his AC) by +7 with Law Devotion , by +4 for single strikes with Smite, and even hit against touch AC instead. And lets’ not ignore saving throws of +17 / +21 / +24 plus Evasion, some Immunities, and Freedom of Movement.

Level 20 – Levels 16 to 20 are all just raw power. He regenerates, has DR 10 that is nigh impossible to get around, and is stacking lots of untyped damage bonuses onto his attacks. Five attacks a round (+30/+30/+30/+25/+20, boostable by +7 with two shots of Law Devotion per day) with 10’ reach, hitting for 4d8+15+2d6+2(or 2d4) (boostable by +10 for smites) and against touch AC if needed. And if he REALLY doesn’t want to be hit, Law Devotion, and Combat Expertise stack together to boost his normal 42 AC up to 54 (or 60 if he uses Full Defense action). Saving throws top out at +21/+25/+29 with Freedom of Movement, Improved Evasion, True Seeing, and some immunities.

Rhyme and Reason
    Spoiler
    Show

Why Equiceph? – Because monks need more zing, and I like the concept of a good society having been hunted to extinction by it’s own outcasts as an origin for an exalted hero. This provides an exotic component to set the build apart, as well as size large and a significant strength boost to add power to the otherwise lackluster offensive ability of the monk. Combining level adjustment buyoff and the “early entry” option afforded by Monk of the Enabled Hand allows me to get all 10 levels of the special ingredient even after throwing in 4 HD of monstrous humanoid.
    Monk of the Enabled Hand – It’s in the build because Ki Strike (lawful) is amazingly hard to get in an early entry build. But it also gets optimized in the process. It allows Nay to hit people in melee as touch attacks, it synergizes its Disarm bonuses with his large size, and I’ve hooked up Combat Reflexes to the 3rd level Reverse Hand ability, which allows Nay to make attacks of opportunity (at -5 to hit) against anyone who strikes him in melee, and with 10’ reach.

Source Books
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Sourcebook|Class/Race|Feats
    Book of Exalted Deeds|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|Exalted Feats
    Complete Champion|-|Law Devotion
    Dragon Magazine Compendium|Monk of the Enabled Hand|-
    Miniatures Handbook|Equiceph|-
    Monster Manual|-|Improved Natural Attack
    Player’s Guide to Faerun|-|Gift of Discernment
    Player’s Handbook|Monk|Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Disarm, Stunning Fist
    Player’s Handbook 2|-|Feat Retraining
    Unearthed Arcana|LA Buyoff|-[/table]

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

NecromancerGuy

This episode 3 is so much more entertaining than. . . that other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jael Filius

CHAPTER 3, continued
    The Transformation of Jael

3:4 Jael grew old, and her sons grew old and died, and their sons grew old and died, and still Jael stood, guarding the Sacred Land even as it too grew old and began to die.
    3:5 And she cried tears of sorrow, as she saw her lands fade away, but still she stood vigil.
    3:6 And the tears of Jael shone with a brightness visible even to the House of the Triad, and upon the Mountain of Martyrdom, Ilmater saw her tears and was moved.
    3:7 And he turned Jael into a great tree with deep roots, so that she may continue her vigil forever more.

CHAPTER 4
    The Great Tree

4:1 For seven centuries, the great tree that was Jael stood, and watched as seven kingdoms rose and fell.
    4:2 And the tree grew tall, so that by the seventh century, her branches brushed Celestia, and her roots grew deep, so that they nearly pierced the ventral planes.
    4:3 The demons of those Infernal planes sought to climb Jael, so they could reach the home of their immortal enemies. They clawed and scrabbled their way up, and Jael shuddered, though her heart was naught but wood.
    4:4 The gods of Celestia called upon the Celestial Hebdomad to cut down Jael, so that she could not be used for such a foul purpose.
    4:5 And the Celestial Hebdomad did, but when the great tree lay there, they too were sad, sad to see such a proud and noble tree struck down, and sad to see Jael’s long vigil be put to an end.
    4:6 Zaphkiel, the leader of the Hebdomad, said, “Let us each take up the bones of this great tree, and with them we will build tools that will protect Jael’s sacred lands for all time.”
    4:7 And so Zaphkiel, the Watcher, whom none could look upon without perishing, picked up the seeds that had fallen from Jael’s boughs, and transformed them into a set of eyes, which he placed in the center of Jael’s lands, and which would watch over them for him.
    4:8 Barachiel, the Messenger, carved a large branch into a great horn, which could be sound from Lunia should Jael’s lands ever be threatened.
    4:9 Erathaol, the Seer, gathered the leaves from the tree and pressed them together to form a book, which would contain all the secrets Jael had seen and heard in her centuries-long vigil.
    4:10 Sealtiel, the Defender, fashioned a great shield from her bark, which would defend against any attack on Jael’s lands.
    4:11 Domiel, the Mercy-Bringer, took the great furrow in the land where Jael fell, and poured into it the water from his cup, whereupon it turned into a rushing river whose waters would enrich the land and all who walked upon it.
    4:12 Raziel, the Crusader, dug deep into the ground and pulled out a great root, and forged it into a spear which would strike down Jael’s enemies.
    4:13 Pistis Sophia, the Ascetic, took the heart of the wood, which had hardened like stone or steel, and from it she forged a man who could wander Jael’s ancient lands protecting them.
    4:14 And Pistis Sophia breathed life into this man, and told him that he was forged from wood sacred to Ilmater the Broken One, and tasked to wander the land and keep it in his care.
    4:15 And Pistis Sophia named this wandering guardian Jal Filius, son of Jael, and so Jal Filius began down the unhindered path.

The Man Made of Wood Shall Walk the Land (Build)
    Spoiler
    Show

Jal Filius, the Wooden Guardian, is an ageless living construct, a warforged made not of metal but of the living wood of Jael, hardened to become like steel.

He will wander these sacred lands for eternity, in honor of Jael's noble vigil.

Warforged, Fighter 2/Monk 3/Landforged Walker 5/Monk of the Enabled Hand 2/Initiate of Pistis Sophia 8

As a worshipper of Ilmater, the Broken God who immortalized Jael's struggle by transforming her into the great tree, Jal Filius is a member of the Broken One Monastic Order, and has taken the Broken One monk substitution level at level 3.

Ability Scores:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Includes racial adjustments)
    Level 1: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 14/Cha 13
    Level 4: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 15/Cha 13
    Level 7: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 17/Cha 13
    Level 8: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 18/Cha 13
    Level 11: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 20/Cha 15
    Level 12: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 16/Int 14/Wis 20/Cha 16
    Level 15: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 18/Int 14/Wis 22/Cha 18
    Level 16: Str 10/Dex 8/Con 19/Int 14/Wis 22/Cha 18
    Level 19: Str 10/Dex 10/Con 21/Int 14/Wis 24/Cha 20
    Level 20: Str 10/Dex 10/Con 22/Int 14/Wis 24/Cha 20

Build:
    Spoiler
    Show
    JAL FILIUS
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features|VoP Bonus

1st|Fighter 1|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Handle animal 4 ranks, jump 4 ranks, knowledge (nature) 2 ranks, survival 2 ranks|Intuitive Attack, Ironwood Body||

2nd|Fighter 2|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Handle animal 5 ranks, jump 5 ranks, knowledge (geography) 1 rank|Combat Expertise||

3rd|Monk 1|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Concentration 2 ranks, knowledge (religion) 2 ranks, knowledge (geography) 1.5 ranks, diplomacy 1 rank|Sacred Vow, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist|Flurry of blows, unarmed strike|

4th|Monk 2|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 3 ranks, knowledge (religion) 3 ranks, knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, diplomacy 2 ranks, handle animal 6 ranks|Deflect Arrows|Evasion|

5th|Monk 3 (Broken One sub level)|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Survival 8 ranks||Lay on hands|

6th|Landforged Walker 1|
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 4 ranks, knowledge (nature) 3 ranks, knowledge (geography) 3 ranks, spellcraft 1 rank, survival 9 ranks, handle animal 7 ranks|Vow of Poverty|Body of nature (Hide +4, divine focus)|AC bonus +6, endure elements, sustenance, exalted strike +1 (magic), deflection +1

7th|Landforged Walker 2|
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 5 ranks, knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, spellcraft 2 ranks, survival 10 ranks, handle animal 8 ranks||Body of nature (resistance 5, natural armor +1), green mind|Resistance +1, ability score enhancement +2

8th|Landforged Walker 3|
    +6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Concentration 6 ranks, knowledge (nature) 4 ranks, knowledge (geography) 4 ranks, knowledge (religion) 4.5 ranks, survival 11 ranks, handle animal 9 ranks|Touch of Golden Ice|Body of nature (healing herbs), speak with plants|Natural armor +1, mind shielding

9th|Landforged Walker 4|
    +7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Concentration 7 ranks, knowledge (nature) 5 ranks, knowledge (geography) ranks, knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, survival 12 ranks, handle animal 10 ranks|Improved Disarm|Body of nature (resistance 10, natural armor +2)|AC bonus +7

10th|Landforged Walker 5|
    +7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Concentration 8 ranks, knowledge (nature) 6 ranks, knowledge (geography) 6 ranks, knowledge (religion) 5.5 ranks, survival 13 ranks, handle animal 11 ranks|Servant of the Heavens|Body of nature (immune to polymorph, fortification 50%), plant shape, voice of nature|Exalted strike +2 (good), DR 5/magic

11th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 1|
    +7/+2
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 9 ranks, knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, diplomacy 6 ranks||Monk abilities, shim soo “mind over hand”|Ability score +4/+2

12th|Monk of the Enabled Hand 2|
    +8/+3
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Diplomacy 12 ranks|Sanctify Ki Strike, Mage Slayer|Ki strike (lawful)|AC bonus +8, deflection +2, greater sustenance

13th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 1|
    +8/+3
    |
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, diplomacy 16 ranks|Fist of the Heavens|Monk abilities|Resistance +2, energy resistance 5

14th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 2|
    +9/+4
    |
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, knowledge (nature) 7 ranks, knowledge (geography) 7 ranks, diplomacy 17 ranks|Exalted Wild Shape|Detect evil, smite evil 1/day|Exalted strike +3, freedom of movement

15th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 3|
    +10/+5
    |
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |Knowledge (religion) 10 ranks, knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, knowledge (geography) 8 ranks, diplomacy 18 ranks|Pierce Magical Protection|Uncanny dodge|AC bonus +9, ability score +6/+4/+2, DR 5/evil

16th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 4|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +17
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Knowledge (religion) 11 ranks, knowledge (nature) 9 ranks, knowledge (geography) 9 ranks, diplomacy 19 ranks|Vow of Obedience, Holy Ki Strike|Electricity resistance 5|Natural armor +2

17th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 5|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +17
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Knowledge (religion) 12 ranks, knowledge (nature) 10 ranks, knowledge (geography) 10 ranks, diplomacy 20 ranks||Smite evil 2/day|Exalted strike +4, resistance +3, regeneration

18th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 6|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +18
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Knowledge (religion) 13 ranks, knowledge (nature) 11 ranks, knowledge (geography) 11 ranks, diplomacy 21 ranks|Superior Unarmed Strike, Gift of Discernment|Improved Uncanny Dodge|AC bonus +10, deflection +3, true seeing

19th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 7|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +18
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Knowledge (religion) 14 ranks, knowledge (nature) 12 ranks, knowledge (geography) 12 ranks, diplomacy 22 ranks|Vow of Chastity|Electricity resistance 10|Ability score +8/+6/+4/+2, DR 10/evil

20th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia 8|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +19
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Knowledge (religion) 15 ranks, knowledge (nature) 13 ranks, knowledge (geography) 13 ranks, diplomacy 23 ranks|Words of Creation|Improved Evasion|Exalted strike +5, energy resistance 15[/table]

The Great Tree That Watches Over Us (Build Notes)
    Spoiler
    Show
    He appears suddenly, and you realize he was there all along, his form hidden among the vines and shadows. As he steps forward, you see he is not, as you first thought, a human. He moves with a mechanical steadiness, though he appears to have been forged not of metal, but of rough-hewn wood. Vines and leaves grow off of him, almost obscuring his mechanical body.

“You are injured,” he says, and pinches a few berries and a sprig of herbs from his body. He is old, old as the trees, but his wooden face shows - compassion? It is hard to say. He crushes the herbs together and hands them to you. “Eat these,” he says, with a voice like creaking boughs.

You tell him what has happened, tell him of the cruel, spider-like ettercaps that attacked your campground. He shakes his head, more sad than angry, and asks you where they came from. And with that he strides off, gone as quick as he arrived, and as he strides through the trees he grows and sprouts, until you can no longer distinguish him from the trees themselves...

Jal Filius was tasked to wander the sacred lands and defend them from intrusion three times: first by Pistis Sophia, the archon who forged him from living wood; second by Jael, his Mother, whose heart was used in his construction; and lastly by Ilmater, the One Who Endures, patron of the oppressed and martyred.

If Jael is his mother, than perhaps Pistis Sophia is Jal Filius' godmother, and it is his desire to follow in the likeness of Pistis Sophia that encouraged Jal Filius to become an ascetic, although she originally forged him as a warrior and a fighter. Still, looking to Pistis Sophia's example, and thinking of the compassion of Ilmater, Jal Filius give up worldly possessions and walked down the unhindered path as a monk.

Jal Filius is first and foremost a defender and a healer, and as a follower of Ilmater he seeks to lessen the pain of others, and endure it on their behalf. He has sacrificed the ability to repair his own wounds so that he may heal others, and the herbs and berries that grow from him can become a potent healing draught as well.

His kindness and wisdom do not go amiss when dealing with others, and his connection with the natural world allows him to speak with the trees and the land.

But this is not to say that Jal Filius is not a warrior. Pistis Sophia created him to fight, and to defend the lands of Jael. Though his wooden frame is small, he is powerful and sturdy, and incredibly resilient. He has the wisdom to always strike unerringly, and the skill to disarm opponents, pierce through their magical protections, stun and disable them, and more. Most dangerous of all, Jal Filius can transform himself to become like a tree himself. He turns himself into a powerful treant, tall and mighty, and it is in this form that he normally remains. The strength and power of a treant, combined with the abilities of a powerful monk and his supernatural resilience, make Jal Filius a terrifying sentinel of his lands.

Level by level breakdown:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At level 5, Jal Filius is reasonably powerful, but his true strength lies in his defenses. His natural damage reduction and high armor class keeps him safe. He is not a great damage dealer at this point, but he can help disable opponents via stunning fist, and provide some limited healing.

By level 10, though, Jal Filius is far more of a threat. By this point, he has sworn away all worldly items, instead relying on the land and his own body. His defenses improve considerably, he gains more healing and new utility with his ability to speak with plants or commune with the land, and he adds some more combat tricks to his repertoire. His most powerful ability, though, is his plant shape. He can transform into huge plants as a druid (in fact, he can do this even better than a druid, who would be restricted to large creatures), allowing him to spend his time as a great treant.

Level 15, Jal Filius' "sweet spot", shows him using these abilities to the fullest. His plant shape ability is both utility and power in one, and shows great synergy with his monk and Initiate levels. His defenses grow even greater, his offense becomes much more powerful as his unarmed strike improves, and he gains more ways of dealing with difficult enemies. His final levels, up through level 20, show this continuing to improve in much the same way.

All in all, Jal Filius is an effective character from the beginning, gaining abilities at every level and growing consistently better throughout his career.

Plant Shape Information and Concerns
    Spoiler
    Show

Much of Jal Filius' build relies on the natural synergy between monk abilities and the landforged walker's plant shape.

Jal Filius prefers the form of a treant, which allows him to remain in a form similar to his own, retain speech, and more. It is a powerful form, certainly, but not his only option.

If his goal is to become more of a grappler, the tendriculos and red sundew (MMII) both provide excellent options, giving him improved grab and swallow whole. A myconid sovereign gives him a range of (Ex) spore attacks with interesting effects (and also grant him some ranged attacks). If he needs to remain stealthy and cannot take advantage of the treant's +16 bonus to hide among trees, he can turn into something less conspicuous, such as an assassin vine.

The plant shape ability also is listed as being otherwise identical to the druid wild shape class feature. If your DM rules that this lets you take Exalted Wild Shape, do so - this gives you several new forms that can grant flight, teleportation, and more. This build includes it, but if your DM rules against it, replace the feat with Nymph's Kiss.

Why Initiate of Pistis Sophia?
    Spoiler
    Show
    In attempting to come up with an effective build for the Initiate of Pistis Sophia, I came across several stumbling blocks. The flavor was perfect for Jal Filius, but there were several problems with the class as a whole.

The first, and biggest, was how incredibly MAD this class makes you. A monk always has issues with needing multiple ability scores, and the IoPS is even worse. The Charisma requirements of Sanctify Ki Strike are in many ways even more arduous than the ki strike (lawful) pre-req. The build also discourages dumping Wisdom, because you need stunning fist to take advantage of all of its features.

Plant Shape allows Jal Filius to eliminate the MADness. He can focus on Wisdom, to improve his monk abilities, and Charisma, which improves his healing and diplomacy.

IoPS also practically forces Vow of Poverty on you, but that feat is a notorious trap. All of its bonuses could be reproduced with magic items, and then some. However, Jal Filius circumvents this, first as a warforged (granting him some inherent armor bonuses), and second with his Plant Shape abilities. Between deflection bonuses, natural armor (which is explicitly improved by both VoP and landforged walker), and exalted bonuses, his AC will remain competitive throughout his career, and he does not have the disadvantage of needing to switch items every time he changes form.

In generally, IoPS is Monk+. It offers no unique abilities, but it improves everything Jal Filius cares about. He gains new and powerful defenses, he improves his stunning, flurry of blows, speed, AC and damage, he gains new smite attacks and detection abilities. He gets everything a crazy ascetic kung fu tree could want.

The Sacred Lands (Sources and Settings)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The trees are my sisters, those sacred guardians that sprouted from Jael's fallen seeds, and I am their servant, their voice, their hands. I am the voice of the stones, the ruined walls that once formed a proud kingdom. I am the voice of the land, of the water, of the sky.

"You dare to intrude upon these lands, upon my sisters the trees and brothers the stones? You dare to sully this sacred river with your impure ways? Then you will learn, I am not merely their voice, but also their fist. Leave this place, now, while you still have legs to walk upon."

A note about settings:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a worshiper of Ilmater, the flavor behind this build places Jal Filius squarely within the Forgotten Realms. I intentionally left the "Sacred Lands" vague, so that they could be fit into nearly any campaign. In general, any old fallen kingdom in a forest-heavy area could be substituted.

Warforged are traditionally thought of as being Eberron-specific, and both Ironwood Body and Landforged Walker are found in books that reference Eberron. However, the warforged are also located in Monster Manual III, and neither Ironwood Body nor Landforged Walker have anything Eberron-specific about them, even in the flavor text.

That being said, if your DM does not approve of Faerun gods, or you are playing a campaign solely in Eberron, simply change all references to Ilmater to another god, preferably one focused on compassion and mercy. The Celestial Hebdomad, which includes Pistis Sophia, also has some connections with Faerun, but these archons could just as easily serve any good god, rather than the House of the Triad. The only truly setting-specific element in the whole build is the Broken One monk substitution level, and this can easily be swapped out for a level in ranger or totemist while keeping the build much the same.

Sources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Warforged are detailed in Monster Manual III, Eberron Campaign Setting, and Races of Eberron.

The Broken One monastic order and associated substition level is found in Champions of Valor. Gift of Discernment is found in PGF.

Book of Exalted Deeds is home to Intuitive Attack, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Touch of Golden Ice, Servant of the Heavens, Sanctify Ki Strike, Fist of the Heavens, Exalted Wild Shape, Vow of Obedience, Holy Ki Strike, Vow of Chastity and Words of Creation, as well as the Initiate of Pistis Sophia prestige class.

Monk of the Enabled Hand is found in the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Superior Unarmed Strike is a feat from Tome of Battle. Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Protection are both in Complete Arcane.

Ironwood Body is found in Races of Eberron, and Landforged Walker is from Secrets of Xen'drik.

Adaptations:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the notes on settings, I included how this build can be transported to other settings. Also, the notes on plant shape include some other options if your DM decides that Plant Shape does not count as wild shape for the Exalted Wild Shape feat.

Other interesting and flavorful feats include Nimbus of Light and Stigmata, which fit the flavor quite well, and could be subbed out for Gift of Discernment and Words of Creation. Improved Trip, Ability Focus (Stunning Fist), and Pain Touch would also be nice additions, any one of which could be swapped in over Superior Unarmed Strike.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

NecromancerGuy

Martial arts are often Mind over Bodhi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trishna Bodhi

Trishna Bodhi, the Seeker of Knowledge
    Always keep your mind as bright and clear as the vast sky, the great ocean, and the highest peak, empty of all thoughts. Always keep your body filled with light and heat. Fill yourself with the power of wisdom and enlightenment.

The Build...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lawful Good Human Male

Racial Features:
    Human - Bonus Feat, 4 Extra Skill Points at 1st + 1 Every Level Thereafter

Ability Scores By Level:
    {table=head]Level|Str|Dex|Con|Int|Wis|Cha|Increase Amounts|From What

1st|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    ||32 Point Buy

4th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+1 Con|Level Increase

7th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+2 Wis|Vow of Poverty

8th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+1 Cha|Level Increase

11th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+2 Wis, +2 Cha|Vow of Poverty

12th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+1 Dex|Level Increase

15th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+2 Wis, +2 Cha, +2 Dex|Vow of Poverty

16th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+1 Cha|Level Increase

19th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+2 Wis, +2 Cha, +2 Dex, +2 Con|Vow of Poverty

20th|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |+1 Con|Level Increase[/table]

Alternate Class Features:
    Invisible Fist, Exemplars of Evil -- Page 21; Hand and Foot Monk, Unearthed Arcana -- Page 52
    Hit and Run Fighter, Drow of the Underdark -- Page 58; Cloistered Cleric, Unearthed Arcana -- Page 50
    Worshiping a Pantheon, Complete Divine -- Page 6 (Pantheon is Greyhawk from Complete Divine)
    Tumble as Fighter Class Skill -- Wizards Website

1st|Hand and Foot Monk|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Balance 4, Concentration 1, Hide 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 4, Knowledge (Local) 2, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Tumble 4|Stunning Fist (Monk Bonus Feat), Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk Bonus Feat), Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty (Human Bonus Feat), Nymph's Kiss (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feats, Flurry of Blows, Skill Bonus (Balance +2), Wisdom to Armor Class, Unarmed Strike 1d6

2nd|Hand and Foot Monk|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Balance +1 [5], Hide +1 [5], Knowledge (Arcana) +1 [5], Knowledge (Nature) 1, Knowledge (Religion) +1 [5], Tumble +1 [5]|Deflect Arrows (Monk Bonus Feat), Intuitive Strike (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feat, Invisible Fist

3rd|Hit and Run Fighter|
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Hide +1 [6], Tumble +1 [6], Skill Trick -- Collector of Stories|Avenging Strike, Improved Disarm (Fighter Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feat, Initiative +2, Dexterity to Damage vs. Flat-Footed Opponents

4th|Hit and Run Fighter|
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Hide +1 [7], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [2], Tumble +1 [7]|Combat Expertise (Fighter Bonus Feat), Touch of Golden Ice (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feat

5th|Cloistered Cleric|
    +3
    |
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |Concentration +1 [2], Hide +1 [8], Knowledge (Arcana) +3 [8], Knowledge (Religion) +3 [8]|Animal Devotion (Domain Trade), Knowledge Devotion (Domain Trade; Knowledge (Local) as Class Skill), Weapon Focus [Longsword] (War Domain Bonus Feat)|Domains (Animal [Ehlonna], Knowledge [Bonus], War [Heironeous]), Lore, Turn Undead

6th|Ordained Champion|
    +4
    |
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Hide +1 [9], Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 1, Knowledge (The Planes) 1|Grappling Block, Combat Reflexes (Ordained Champion Bonus Feat), Travel Devotion (Domain Trade), Servant of the Heavens (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feat, Bonus Domain (Travel [Fharlanghn]), Continued Advancement, Modified Spontaneous Casting

7th|Monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +4
    |
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Concentration +2 [4], Hide +1 [10], Knowledge (Local) +2 [4], Tumble +2 [9]||Monk Abilities (+10ft), Shim Soo "Mind Over Hand"

8th|Monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +5
    |
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    +10
    |Concentration +1 [5], Hide +1 [11], Knowledge (Local) +3 [7], Tumble +2 [11]|Sanctify Ki Strike (Bonus Exalted Feat)|Monk Abilities (Unarmed Strike 1d8), Ki Strike (Lawful)

9th|Monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +6/+1
    |
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    +10
    |Concentration +3 [8], Hide +1 [12], Knowledge (Local) +2 [9], Tumble +1 [12]|Evasive Reflexes|Monk Abilities (Armor Class Bonus +1, Flurry of Blows), Kol Soo "Reverse Hand"

10th|Monk of the Enabled Hand|
    +7/+2
    |
    +14
    |
    +7
    |
    +11
    |Concentration +1 [9], Hide +1 [13], Knowledge (Local) +1 [10], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [3], Skill Trick -- Acrobatic Backstab|Holy Ki Strike (Bonus Exalted Feat)|Monk Abilities (+20ft), Kong Soo "Empty Hand"

+7/+2
    |
    +16
    |
    +9
    |
    +13
    |Hide +1 [14], Knowledge (Local) +1 [11], Knowledge (Nature) +2 [5], Knowledge (Religion) +1 [9]|Fist of the Heavens (Pistis Sophia Bonus Feat)|Bonus Feat, Monk Abilities

+8/+3
    |
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +14
    |Hide +1 [15], Knowledge (Local) +1 [12], Knowledge (Nature) +2 [7], Knowledge (Religion) +1 [10]|Weapon Focus [Unarmed Strike], Sanctify Martial Strike (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Monk Abilities (Unarmed Strike 1d10, Ki Strike (Magic)), Detect Evil, Smite Evil 1/Day

+9/+4
    |
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +14
    |Hide +1 [16], Knowledge (Local) +1 [13], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [8], Knowledge (Religion) +2 [12]||Monk Abilities (+30ft, Flurry of Blows), Uncanny Dodge

+10/+5
    |
    +18
    |
    +11
    |
    +15
    |Hide +1 [17], Knowledge (Local) +1 [14], Knowledge (The Planes) +2 [3], Knowledge (Religion) +1 [13]|Sanctify Natural Strike (Exalted Bonus Feat), Vow of Obedience (Sacred Vow)|Monk Abilities (Armor Class Bonus +2), Energy Resistance 5, Sacred Vow

+10/+5
    |
    +18
    |
    +11
    |
    +15
    |Hide +1 [18], Knowledge (Local) +1 [15], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [9], Knowledge (The Planes) +2 [5], Knowledge (Religion) +1 [13]|Fiery Fist|Monk Abilities, Smite Evil 2/Day

+11/+6/+1
    |
    +19
    |
    +12
    |
    +16
    |Hide +1 [19], Knowledge (Arcana) +2 [10], Knowledge (The Planes) +1 [6] Knowledge (Religion) +1 [13]|Gift of Faith (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Monk Abilities (+40ft, Unarmed Strike 2d6), Improved Uncanny Dodge

+12/+7/+2
    |
    +19
    |
    +12
    |
    +16
    |Hide +1 [20], Knowledge (Arcana) +2 [12], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [10]|Vow of Chastity (Sacred Vow)|Monk Abilities, Energy Resistance 10, Sacred Vow

+13/+8/+3
    |
    +20
    |
    +13
    |
    +17
    |Hide +1 [21], Knowledge (Arcana) +2 [14], Knowledge (Religion) + 2 [15]|Ki Blast, Ranged Smite Evil (Exalted Bonus Feat)|Monk Abilities, Smite Evil 3/Day

19th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +20
    |
    +13
    |
    +17
    |Hide +1 [22], Knowledge (Arcana) +1 [15], Knowledge (Nature) +1 [11], Knowledge (The Planes) +2 [8]||Monk Abilities (+50ft, Armored Class Bonus +3), Improved Evasion

20th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +21
    |
    +14
    |
    +18
    |Hide +1 [23], Knowledge (The Planes) +6 [14]|Vow of Purity (Exalted Bonus Feat), Vow of Abstinence (Sacred Vow)|Monk Abilities (Unarmed Strike 2d8), Celestial Transformation, Sacred Vow
    [/table]

Vow of Poverty Math and Stunning Fist/Turning Progression
    (This does not include additional bonuses from the Exalted Feats that this character possesses. This is straight Vow of Poverty, Ability Scores, and any 'always on' Armor Class or To-Hit Feats and Abilities that he has.)

{table=head]Level|Turning|Stunning|Armor Class|To-Hit|Extras

1st|
    -
    |
    |18 (+1 Dex, +3 Wis, +4 Exalted)|+0|Exalted Bonus Feat

2nd|
    -
    |
    |18|+4 (+1 Base Attack, + 3 Wis)|Exalted Bonus Feat

3rd|
    -
    |
    |19 (+1 Dex, +3 Wis, +5 Exalted)|+5 (+2 Base Attack, + 3 Wis)|Endure Elements

4th|
    -
    |
    |19|+7 (+3 Base Attack, + 3 Wis, +1 Enhancement)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Bypass (Magic) Damage Reduction

5th|
    |
    |19|+7|Sustenance

6th|
    |
    |21 (+1 Dex, +3 Wis, +6 Exalted, +1 Deflection)|+8 (+4 Base Attack, + 3 Wis, +1 Enhancement)|Exalted Bonus Feat

7th|
    |
    |22 (+1 Dex, +4 Wis, +6 Exalted, +1 Deflection)|+9 (+4 Base Attack, + 4 Wis, +1 Enhancement)|Ability Score Increase +2 (Wis), Resistance +1 (Bonus to All Saves)

8th|
    |
    |23 (+1 Dex, +4 Wis, +6 Exalted, +1 Deflection, +1 Natural)|+10 (+5 Base Attack, + 4 Wis, +1 Enhancement)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Mind Shielding

9th|
    |
    |25 (+1 Dex, +4 Wis, +7 Exalted, +1 Deflection, +1 Natural, +1 Monk)|+11/+6 (+6/+1 Base Attack, + 4 Wis, +1 Enhancement)|

10th|
    |
    |25|+13/+8 (+7/+2 Base Attack, + 4 Wis, +2 Enhancement)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Damage Reduction 5/Magic, Bypass (Good) Damage Reduction

11th|
    |
    |26 (+1 Dex, +5 Wis, +7 Exalted, +1 Deflection, +1 Natural, +1 Monk)|+14/+9 (+7/+2 Base Attack, + 5 Wis, +2 Enhancement)|Ability Score Increase +4/+2 (Wis/Cha)

12th|
    |
    |29 (+2 Dex, +5 Wis, +8 Exalted, +2 Deflection, +1 Natural, +1 Monk)|+16/+11 (+8/+3 Base Attack, + 5 Wis, +2 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Greater Sustenance

13th|
    |
    |29|+17/+12 (+9/+4 Base Attack, + 5 Wis, +2 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Resistance +2 (Bonus to All Saves), Energy Resistance 5

14th|
    |
    |30 (+2 Dex, +5 Wis, +8 Exalted, +2 Deflection, +1 Natural, +2 Monk)|+19/+14 (+10/+5 Base Attack, + 5 Wis, +3 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Freedom of Movement

15th|
    |
    |33 (+3 Dex, +6 Wis, +9 Exalted, +2 Deflection, +1 Natural, +2 Monk)|+20/+15 (+10/+5 Base Attack, + 6 Wis, +3 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Ability Score Increase +6/+4/+2 (Wis/Cha/Dex), Damage Reduction 5/Evil

16th|
    |
    |34 (+3 Dex, +6 Wis, +9 Exalted, +2 Deflection, +2 Natural, +2 Monk)|+21/+16/+11 (+11/+6/+1 Base Attack, + 6 Wis, +3 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Exalted Bonus Feat

17th|
    |
    |34 (+3 Dex, +6 Wis, +9 Exalted, +1 Deflection, +2 Natural, +2 Monk)|+23/+18/+13 (+12/+7/+2 Base Attack, + 6 Wis, +4 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Resistance +3 (Bonus to All Saves), Regeneration

18th|
    |
    |36 (+3 Dex, +6 Wis, +10 Exalted, +3 Deflection, +2 Natural, +2 Monk)|+24/+19/+14 (+13/+8/+3 Base Attack, + 6 Wis, +4 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Exalted Bonus Feat, True Seeing

19th|
    |
    |39 (+4 Dex, +7 Wis, +10 Exalted, +3 Deflection, +2 Natural, +3 Monk)|+25/+20/+15 (+13/+8/+3 Base Attack, + 7 Wis, +4 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Ability Score Increase +8/+6/+4/+2, Damaged Reduction 10/Evil

20th|
    |
    |39|+27/+22/+17 (+14/+7/+4 Base Attack, + 7 Wis, +5 Enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus)|Exalted Bonus Feat, Energy Resistance 15[/table]

Spells Per Day (Pfffft... Seriously?)
    (Noted purely for completeness' sake. Honestly, these are nice but really give you no more or less combat effectiveness. This notes when you get them [5th], when you get a bonus one [11th], and what we're going to prepare. There's really no reason to pick other spells since we get so little and it's not a major part of the character...)

{table=head]Level|0th|1st|What We'll Prepare
    5th|3|1+1|0th - Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic / 1st - Bless Water, Magic Weapon (Domain)
    11th|3|2+1|0th - Create Water, Detect Magic, Read Magic / 1st - Comprehend Languages, Bless Water, Magic Weapon (Domain)[/table]

As different streams having different sources all mingle their waters in the sea, so different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to the Gods.

The Sources...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Book of Exalted Deeds - Initiate of Pistis Sophia, Exalted Feats, Vow of Poverty
    Complete Champion - Devotion Feats, Ordained Champion
    Complete Divine - Pantheon Worship
    Complete Scoundrel - Skill Tricks
    Dragon Compendium - Monk of the Enabled Hand
    Drow of the Underdark - Hit-and-Run Fighter
    Exemplars of Evil - Invisible Fist
    Oriental Adventures - Grappling Block
    Player's Handbook - Cleric, Monk, Fighter, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes
    Player's Handbook II - Fiery Fist, Ki Blast
    Tome of Battle - Avenging Strike, Evasive Reflexes
    Unearthed Arcana - Hand and Foot Monk, Cloistered Cleric
    Wizards Website - Tumble as a Fighter Class Skill

Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. You are here to realize your inner divinity and manifest your innate enlightenment.

The Tactics...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall:
    This build was horribly, horribly complex and has about three hundred different aspects to it. I will probably miss a lot in the explanation of it's abilities, but everything should be noted on the charts in The Build. Refer back to that if you have any questions.

This character was supposed to represent a burgeoning ascetic who has plenty of faith, but some trouble deciding on who (or what) he wants to give his allegiance to. Side aspects of the character were a love of learning, quiet contemplation, and lively discussion.

Another Note: I will not be discussing the Vow of Poverty bonuses in this section as they are fairly static and already spelled out in The Build. Go read that if you're unsure of what it does.

1st-5th
    We start life as a standard Monk, but grab ourselves an extra little bonus to Balance by using the Fighting Styles in Unearthed Arcana.These two levels give us access to Stunning[ly Bad] Fist and Deflect Arrows, as well as Invisible Fist for Hide goodness (My favorite Alternate Class Feature for non-magic stealth characters; If we were to able to use Flaws in Iron Chef, I would take Darkstalker to complement it).

1st and 2nd level also give us what I like to call the Trifecta of Awesomeness, which include Vow of Poverty, Nymph's Kiss, and Intuitive Strike. Each of these will be a boon through all 20 levels, because they will give us lots of bonuses (Vow), Skill Points (Kiss), and Wisdom on To-Hit (Strike).

We dip into Hit-and-Run Fighter after our two levels of Monk. We're doing this for more Base Attack, and so that we can get the Bonus Feats, Dexterity to Damage (Invisible Fist may help accomplish this), and Initiative bonus.

Avenging Strike and Combat Expertise work well together at these levels, if we're facing Evil Outsiders. This combo allows us to boost our Armor Class without loosing too much on To-Hit. This continues to be a valid tactic as we advance, but will be less desirable as we get iteratives (Though both feats will remain useful for separate uses).

Collector of Stories is a handy Skill Trick we pick up at 3rd for use with Knowledge Devotion (When we get it at 5th, that is). Gotta love a free +5 to a Knowledge check when you need it!

Touch of Golden Ice will add some oomphf to our strikes by dealing Dexterity damage if our opponent fails a save (Acts like a poison), but it's a cool little bonus rather than a major tactic (It's not like we can take anything better for Exalted Feats anyways...).

Cloistered Cleric rounds out these levels, and will allow us to do a lot of things the build may otherwise lack. Turn Undead comes online to provide fuel for Animal Devotion and future Devotions we will get. Animal Devotion will be used mostly for a substitute for Fly, but has other good bonuses. Knowledge Devotion crawls in to give us some nice To-Hit, which allows us to give Combat Expertise some love when we aren't fighting Evil Outsiders (And when Avenging Strike starts to combo less well with it).

The spells that we get from Cleric really do not matter, since we get so few. I picked ones that mostly are for flavor. Go check out The Build to see what they are, because they don't bear much of a breakdown style explanation. Lore is gimped and useless for the same reasons as our spells and similarly is not worth expanding on.

Also, if you're wondering how I got the domains that I did, see the bit about worshiping pantheons in Complete Divine -- Page 6. Some cheese for you, but this is completely following the rules. Hell, if I didn't do it this way, I could have just said I was a Cleric that worshiped an ideal (Which is explicitly allowed in the Player's Handbook entry for Cleric).

6th-10th
    We begin these levels with Ordained Champion, which we're technically in compliance by taking because we do technically worship Heironeous. See the bit about worshiping pantheons in Complete Divine -- Page 6. We use the Bonus Domain to snag a domain from one of the other gods we worship too, and exchange that bad-boy for Travel Devotion.

The above is much stinkier cheese that cherry-picking domains, so I expect a deduction here.

The feats we get to start us off will help solidify future tactics: Grappling Block gives us a free Disarm attempt when we would otherwise be hit, and denies the opponent bonuses to Disarm attempts based on weapon size. Combat Reflexes will give us more Attacks of Opportunity to play with. Travel Devotion is essentially a replacement for Pounce. Servant of the Heavens is semi-useless, but it's a Pistis required feat.

Continued Advancement is in the same boat as Lore and our spells: It increases effective Cleric Level for Turning. So we're 2 instead of 1. Yay? Modified Spontaneous Casting isn't useless, but it's not particularly useful either. It lets us drop our prepared 1st level spell for the 1st level War Domain spell. Again... Yay?

Where things really start to kick into high gear are the Monk of the Enabled Hand levels. This is what leads us into Pistis, and it has some damn good benefits too:

The first thing is that Monk stacks with Monk of the Enabled Hand for Armor Class Bonus, Speed Bonus, Flurry of Blows improvements, and Unarmed Damage. Delicious, and very nice considering where we're headed.

Shim Soo "Mind Over Hand" allows us to use our opponent's Touch Armor Class on an attack roll a number of times per day equal to 1+Enabled Hand Class Levels. Makes a great pairing with Combat Expertise.

Ki Strike (Lawful) is our key to Pistis Sophia

Evasive Reflexes and Kol Soo "Reverse Hand" will pair nicely together to make sure that we don't take a Full Attack to the face unless we really want to (Kol Soo basically gives us an Attack of Opportunity any time the opponent would hit us in battle, and our Evasive Reflexes lets us take a 5ft step instead of the attack. Not a bad combo!).

Finally, Kong Soo "Empty Hand" pairs with our Grappling Block and Improved Disarm so that we: 1. Make a Disarm attempt when the opponent would otherwise hit us, 2. Get to ignore the opponent's bonuses to Disarm attempts because of weapon Size, 3. Get +4 to Disarm attempts, 4. Get to treat our fists as Large for Disarm attempts (A further +4). This all makes Disarming a nice tactic against humanoids and whomever else uses weapons as their main method of attack.

The Exalted feats gained these levels are pretty straight forward and unremarkable: Sanctify Ki Strike and Holy Ki Strike. This first is a requirement for Pistis, and the second is +2d6 damage against Evil. Not bad; Just not exciting.

The Skill Trick we get, Aerobatic Backstab, is useful for getting a bit more mileage out of out Dexterity to Damage from Hit-and-Run Fighter. Gotta love more options!

11th-20th
    I lumped these levels together because Pistis is one of those classes that gets a lot up front and just gets to use that stuff more as it progresses. There's nothing tactically that changes much in these levels. There's a lot of reasons to enter Pistis for this character, so don't take this as an admission that I'm just building around the class rather than with it!

Flavor-wise, this represents the final realization of the force our character wants to channel his faith into, and the ideals he wants to live his life by: The dogma of Pistis Sophia. Mechanics-wise, we get more Exalted Feats in for form of Vows, more Monk-stacking goodness, Smite Evil, and some random defensive abilities.

Smite Evil, particularly, works well with the Ki Blast and Ranged Smite feats we're picking up at 18th for a mildly potent ranged attack we can use in a pinch. It also pairs with Combat Expertise to give us even more options with that feat (Have I pushed that feat enough? Again, if Flaws were on the table, we'd be getting Improved Combat Expertise somewhere along the way).

The Monk Abilities gets us to the point where we're doing 2d8 per strike, eventually makes the extra attack with Flurry of Blows penalty free, and increases our Monk Armor Class Bonus (I assumed in The Build that these stack with the Monk of the Enabled Hand stacking).

Improved Evasion covers our weakest Save (Which is still, admittedly, freaking amazing due to Vow of Poverty, a high Dexterity, and multiclassed Save-stacking).

More Damage Reduction is nice, and can really be pretty amazing if our enemies can't bypass all the other Damage Reduction and Energy Resistance that we have stacked all over us.

I'm not sure what becoming an Outsider really does for us, and most of our Exalted Feats (Including the additional Vows we get) are small bonuses that don't mean a whole lot. One note on Vows: We can use Create Water / Bless Water from our Cleric level to wash ourselves after touching undead so as not to break the Vow of Purity.

Sweet Spot(s)
    I would argue that this build has a full three "Sweet Spots": 10th, 15th, and 19th.

10th level is wonderful because our Disarm sexiness is online, as well as our Evasive Reflexes combo. We've got a nice damage output, many wonderful To-Hit options, and some Pounce-style action with Travel Devotion and +20ft speed.

15th is good because we're no longer getting penalized for Flurry of Blows, we have extra damage and To-Hit from Smite, Fiery Fist is finally giving us a use for Stunning Fist other than using Stunning Fist, and we're getting some damned decent returns from Knowledge Devotion right about now.

19th would probably be the least 'sweet' of these, but it's still got some goodies... A shiny new ranged attack that's not game breaking but works good in a pinch, Improved Evasion goodness, and +50ft to speed, Knowledges almost fully online. All-in-all, not bad.

Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.

The Story...
    Spoiler
    Show

Rezekial couldn't say what drew him to the man... Perhaps it was the lines and scars on his face, which were sure to have a myriad of stories to go along with them. Then again, it could have been the intensity with which the man studied a dusty old tome he gripped in his wizened old hands. Either one told him that there was a lot more to this man than there seemed.

He strode across the smoke filled, piss-smelling tavern floor towards where the man was seated. It was one of the far, dark corners way out of the way of the normal patrons. The table the fellow was seated that looked like it'd seen better days, and the chairs around it were bowing with age.

"Old man, would you like an ale?" Rezekiel said, taking a seat on the other end of the table.

Without looking up from his tome, the man replied in a friendly tone "Why, yes, me boy. But make sure the wench brings two cups; One of them empty, if you please."

Rezekial flagged down a serving wench and placed the order. He looked back at the old man when she left, and notice he had not moved an inch. He waited for the man to put the book down and say something, but that didn't happen. The silence made him somewhat uncomfortable, so he began to speak:

"So, old man, what is your name? I'm Rezekial the Bold: Teller of Tales, Singer of S--"

The man raised his hand as if to silence Rezekial and, strangely enough, he felt obliged to comply. Except for the the hand, the fellow's face and body had still not moved and his grip on the tome was strong as ever. His expression was blank, and his voice compassionate but emotionless as he said:

"In due time. Wait for the ale, lad. Conversation is a blessing that deserves a greater reason than merely breaking silence."

Rezekial nodded, though he was not sure the man saw it. Waiting in silence with his head down and staring at his hands, he felt a child, but he was afraid to do anything that might be perceived as disrespectful.

The wench arrived quickly with the ales after that. As soon as she'd set them down, the man closed his book, set it on the table, and grabbed his drink. He swigged, gargled, grabbed the empty cup, and spat.

Puzzlement must have shown on Rezerkial's face, because the man laughed a hearty laugh and said "You seem vexed, boy. Have I offended you?"

"No, no. It's quite alright. It's your ale to do with what you please. I'm just perplexed as to why one would spit out good ale."

"I'm not sure if 'good' is the word I'd use to describe the dreck this place serves, me lad. But, that's not why I spat it out. 'Twas the fact that I've Vowed to the Lords on High that I would not consume alcohol."

A frown played across Rezekial's face. He sighed a confused sigh and said "Wouldn't you have just borken your Vow, then?"

"No," the man replied "When I took my Vow I told the Gods that I would not 'consume' alcohol. I never told them that I wouldn't 'taste' it." He chortled, took another swig of ale, then spat it in the cup as he'd done before.

"That seems a mite pedantic to me," Rezekial stated. He sipped at his own ale, and made a point of swallowing it. He didn't get the get the reaction he was looking for. In point of fact, he didn't get any reaction at all, though he was quite sure the man noticed.

"The Gods rules the lives of men and decide the fates of all based on pedantry, me boy. To them, the minute details make all the difference. I should know; I was a servant of more than one of them once upon a time."

"Oh really," Rezekial began while shifting forward in his seat, "And who might have you served, sir? From the look of you, you've been through a lot."

The man chortled again, performed his ritual with the ale, and replied "Aye. That I have, boy. That I have. Would you like to listen to an old man reminisce?"

"Most definitely." Razekial stated. He was hoping to have a conversation, but if the man wanted to pontificate, then that would be alright with him as well. He'd sat down with the intention of hearing something interesting in any case...

Spoiler
    Show
    The life of Trishna is complicated. He started his path in the city of Lulika, a small village set upon by goblins frequently.

His parents were killed while he was young, but he was saved and adopted by the Shadow Hand and Silent Foot monastery, who raised and trained him. He took his first Vows as a way to show his deep devotion to the Order.

During these years in the order, he met Chiss, a girl that he fell deeply in love with and spent most of his free time talking too.

"...Chiss was a young lass who'd been orphaned when she was wee, just like me. She, unlike me, was not part of the order per say. They didn't allow women in. Instead, they made use of her as a washer, cook, water wench, and anything else they could think of to make her earn her meals."

"Me and her hit it off right quick. Like peas and carrots, we were. When I was grief stricken because of the loss of a comrade, she was there. When I was injured, she nurse me back to health. When I needed conversation, she provided it. Me sun and stars, she was. As intelligent as she was beautiful."

"She sounds wonderful," Rezekial interjected.

"She was, boy, she was," said the man, his eyes sparkling as he spoke of his beloved, "Me and her used to spend our free time by this tranquil lake close to the monastery, speaking on matters of arcane magics or religious doctrine. Dry though those subjects may seem to you, there was nothing like those conversations in all of this world."

"Me years were happy then. The life I had at the monastery was everything I ever wanted and more. But, it was something that was never meant to last..."

Spoiler
    Show
    The even that Trishna is alluding to is the appearance of a soldier at the steps of the monastery. He was a young man named Klaus with orders to round up as many men as he could to fight in the Emperor's army.

Trishna joined the army, seeing it as his duty and a cause worth fighting for. He spend two years fighting along side Klaus against a scourge of undead that threatened the realm. His one regret in swearing his service to the Emperor was leaving Chiss behind...

"...I didn't like Klaus at first, to be honest with you. While he was certainly a man of the Emperor, and he believe in the cause, he didn't seem to have an issue with ignoring the rules and laws we were meant to live by. Still, his intentions were always good and he led his men well."

"The man grew on me as we traveled. He was always quick to show me new fighting tricks, and even knew quite a few stories that were interesting to listen to. There was a hidden intelligence to the man that didn't show on the surface, and a knowledge you don't get form just study."

"For two years, I fought with the Emperor's army. In the final battle to turn the tide of the war, I fought right beside Klaus. We smashed hundreds of the living dead together, but he was eventually felled by a bolt of energy from some foul necromancer."

"It was one of the few times in my life that I've lost control of my emotions. I killed that necromancer very violently, and felt him shudder in me hands as he drew his last breath. Though his death was quick enough, it wasn't easy, and I actually regret that."

"So," Rezekial inturrupted, "Klaus was a dear friend by that time, then?"

"He was," The old man confirmed. His voice showed the briefest quiver as he continued, "By that time, he was probably the closest thing I had to a brother. We taught each other things, told each other stories, watched out for one another, and confided our fears in each other. It was as hard a loss as leaving Chiss."

"You said that was the final battle," Rezekial stated, "What was it that you did afterwards?..."

Spoiler
    Show
    After the death of Klaus and the end of the war against the undead, Trishna decided that it was time for something new: He joined the Church of One Thousand Prayers.

This church was dedicated to several Gods, not just one, although it did have several sects that tended to praise certain Gods more than others. One of these was the Champions of Heironeous, who Ordained Thrishna as part of their sect after he agreed to accept the honor.

Trishna learned much while he was there, though it was only a short time. He gained the command of divine abilities that allowed him to run faster, gain tremendous strength, strike like a snake, and even fly!

"...You left?" Rezekial was incredulous, "Right after accepting an honor from a sect of the clergy?"

"That's the thing, boy. It was a hollow honor. They were willing to give it to anyone in order to increase their power within the Church. I went along with it for awhile but, once I figured that out, continuing down that path felt wrong."

"What's more than that, I discovered that despite the large libraries I had available to me and the prayers I studied, life as a priest was more about blustery speeches and mass worship rather than quiet contemplation and enlightenment..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Thrishna spent years after his time at the Church looking for a suitable place for training, learning, and quiet contemplation.

By happenstance, he met a man named Yoshiro at a tavern in a small village. The two drank, conversed, and agreed to leave the town together. The idea was that they would go their separate ways when their paths parted.

This did not happen, as they were ambushed by bandits and had to defend themselves. After the fight, Yoshiro revealed he was a Monk of the Enabled Hand and asked Thrishna to join his order.

"...I trained with the Hand for decades. Me fists were honed to physical perfection, me mind was sharp as any blade, and me heart held within it the hopes and dreams of the youngins from all small villages we helped in various ways."

"Our work wasn't glamorous by any means, boy, but it was necessary. Feeding the mouths that couldn't feed themselves, building shelter for those without homes, and giving a number of resources to the less fortunate that they would otherwise not have had. They were all good works."

"That's not to say I didn't have me fair few combats, or that they weren't loads of fun,"
    the man chuckled, a bemused grin on his face, "In point of fact, the Hand took great pride in the fact that we honed mere fists and hands to perform feats that matched even the mightiest blades; It's just that we tended to try and avoid those things if we could."

"To tell you the truth, me hands back in the day could cut through the greatest armor as if it wasn't there, initiate furious counter-strikes, and disarm even the largest blades from the biggest warriors in the land. Not bragging here, boy, just stating facts..."

Spoiler
    Show
    After nearly two decades of proving himself within the Enabled Hand, Trishna was approached by a small inner-circle of the coven that called themselves the Initiates of Pistis Sophia.

Due to his religious training, Trishna knew exactly who Pistis Sophia was. In fact, he'd prayed to the Tome Archons as his patron saints while at the Church of One Thousand Prayers, so the idea of fealty to them was nothing new to him.

They wanted him to join the secret sect and deepen his relationship with the Archon. Trishna contemplated this for 10 days before agreeing, and swore his allegiance to Pistis Sophia on the morning of the 11th day.

"... And, you see, boy, that's why I took a Vow of Chastity."

"So you swore off women entirely?" Rezekial asked, "That sounds like it'd be a tough thing to do."

"I don't know if I'd say that I swore off women," the old man protested. He began to say more on precisely that subject, but then stopped. His eyes darted away from Rezekial, and said instead, "One moment, lad. We'll continue soon."

The man stood and waved. A tall, beautiful, woman walked towards their table. When she got close, the old fellow grabbed her around the waist and said, "Rezekial, I'd like you to meet me wife: Chiss."

Rezekial's jaw dropped, and he couldn't find the words to voice what he was thinking. Both the the husband and the wife laughed a hearty laugh, then, as if reading his thoughts, the man spoke up, "I know. When I swore that Vow to Pistis Sophia, I simply said I wouldn't 'bugger' any woman. Never said I wouldn't 'marry' any woman..."

[CENTER]{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-12-07 at 03:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210

NecromancerGuy

There is no Dana, only Zool. -Ghostbusters
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Spoiler
    Show

Zool, Ape of the Heavens
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features|Vow of Poverty Benefits

2 HD|Brood Monkey|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Concentration 2.5, Spot 2.5, Listen 2.5|Alertness, Sacred Vow|+2 LA, Flurry of Blows, Immune to Enchantment, 3/day--Cure Minor Wounds, Doom, 1/day--Cause Fear, Cure Light Wounds, Shield of Faith|-

3rd|Monk|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Concentration 6, Spot 3, Listen 3.5|Vow of Poverty, Stunning Fist, Improved Unarmed Strike|Decisive Strike, Unarmed Strike 1d4|AC Bonus +6, Endure Elements, Exalted Strike +1 (Magic), Sustenance

4th|Monk|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 7, Spot 5, Listen 5.5|Deflect Arrows, Intuative Strike|Evasion|AC Bonus +6, Deflection +1

5th|Fighter|
    +4
    |
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 8, Spot 5, Listen 6|Combat Expertise||Resistance +1, Ability Score Bonus +2

6th|Fighter|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Concentration 9, Spot 5.5, Listen 6|Improved Disarm, Servant of the Heavens||Natural Armor +1, Mind Shielding

7th|Master of the Enabled Hand|
    +5
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Concentration 10, Spot 8, Listen 7.5||Monk Special Abilities, Shim Soo, Unarmored Speed Bonus +10'|AC Bonus +7

8th|Master of the Enabled Hand|
    +6/+1
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Concentration 11, Spot 10, Listen 9.5|Sanctified Ki Strike|Unarmed Strike 1d6, Ki Strike (Lawful)|Exalted Strike +2 (Good), DR 5/Magic

9th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +6/+1
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Concentration 12, Spot 12, Listen 11.5|Fist of the Heavens, Superior Unarmed Strike|Monk Abilities, AC Bonus +1, Unarmed Strike 1d8|Ability Score Enhancement +4/+2

10th|Initiate of Pistis Sophia|
    +7/+2
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Concentration 13, Spot 13, Listen 13, Autohypnosis .5|Touch of Golden Ice|Detect Evil at-Will, Smite Evil 1/Day, Unarmored Speed Bonus +20'|AC Bonus +8, Deflection +2, Greater Sustenance

+8/+3
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Concentration 14, Spot 14, Listen 14, Autohypnosis 1.5||Uncanny Dodge|Resistance +2, Energy Resistance 5

+9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Concentration 15, Spot 15, Listen 15, Autohypnosis 2.5|Rapid Stunning, Holy Ki Strike, Vow of Abstinence|Unarmed Strike 1d10, Electricity Resistance 5|Exalted Strike +3, Freedom of Movement

+9/+4
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |
    +13
    |Concentration 16, Spot 16, Listen 16, Autohypnosis 3.5||Unarmored Speed Bonus +30', Smite Evil 2/Day|AC Bonus +9, Ability Score Enhancement +6/+4/+2, DR 5/Evil

+10/+5
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Concentration 17, Spot 17, Listen 17, Autohypnosis 4.5|Nimbus of Light|AC Bonus +2, Improved Uncanny Dodge|Natural Armor +2

+11/+6/+1
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |
    +14
    |Concentration 18, Spot 18, Listen 18, Autohypnosis 5.5|Extra Stunning, Vow of Chastity|Electricity Resistance 10|Exalted Strike +4, Resistance +3, Regeneration

+12/+7/+2
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Concentration 19, Spot 19, Listen 19, Autohypnosis 6.5|Stigmata|Unarmed Strike 2d6, Unarmored Speed Bonus +40', Smite Evil 3/Day|AC Bonus +10, Deflection +3, True Seeing

+12/+7/+2
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |
    +15
    |Concentration 20, Spot 20, Listen 20, Autohypnosis 7.5||Improved Evasion|Ability Score Adjustment +8/+6/+4/+2, DR 10/Evil

+13/+8/+3
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |
    +16
    |Concentration 21, Spot 21, Listen 21, Autohypnosis 8.5|Extra Stunning, Holy Radiance, Vow of Obedience|Celestial Transformation|Exalted Strike +5, Energy Resistance 15[/table]

Point Buy (2):
    Str 8 (PB 10, -2 Racial)
    Dex 14 (PB 8, +4 Racial, +2 VoP)
    Con 18 (PB 10, Racial +4, +4 VoP)
    Int 13 (PB 18, +1 Leveling, -6 Racial)
    Wis 28 (PB 16, +4 Racial, +2 Leveling, +6 VoP)
    Cha 19 (PB 10, +2 Racial, +1 Leveling, +8 VoP)

Backstory
    Goodness can sprout from the most unforseen places; consider Zool, a Champion of the great Pistis Sophia, who began as a degenerate savage, scrounging through the ruins of a once-great city.

One day, he happened to run into some looters; now, Zool, being a genius among his own kind (which is to say that he was slightly more intelligent than a human.), he hung back and watched them. Unfortunately, he was discovered, and almost killed, until a voice appeared in his head.

"What do you want?"

And Zool muttered a response, in his own gutteral language, "I want to live."

"Very well. For survival, take my strength!"

Zool rose from the ground, recovering from the beating that the looters had inflicted on him, and looked at the club in his hands; he didn't need it anymore.

The first blow he struck caused the one struck to fall unconscious at his feet; he grinned at the other looters, who beat a hasty retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 3

There is no Pistis Sophia, only ZOOL! Sorry, had to get that out of the way.

Anyway, Zool isn't off to a bad start; he may be a 5th-level character (at 3rd level), but he has some pluck!

And by pluck, I mean that he has both Flurry of Blows (which works with all Simple weapons, and allows him to make a free Bite attack at -5, without the penalty to hit from Flurry of Blows. Sweetness.) and Decisive Strike, meaning that he can vary strategies as he sees fit. A couple of other awesome bits are the fact that he has some SLAs that can heal himself or weaken his enemies, and that he adds his Wisdom Bonus to AC. Wait, did I forget to mention immunity to ALL ENCHANTMENT EFFECTS? Heck, Paladins of Freedom get immunity to Compulsions, and that's considered good!

From his VoP, he gets a +5 to AC, a +1 to Attack/Damage, Magic Fists!, Protection from Elements, and he does not need to eat or drink.

You know what? This kind of sounds like a monkey that has just received a weak version of Exaltation...

Yes, we're going for the Exalted type of Exalted.

Zool found that he didn't want anything at all; he no longer felt hunger or thirst, and his fists could match any weapon he could find in the ruins. And then there were the reflexes; he merely had to reach out to deflect an arrow from a hunter, and attacks slid off his pelt.

He had since learned the identity of his Patron; it was Pistis Sophia, a Celestial of great power that appreciated poverty and prowess. He learned what the Patron accepted of him, and chose to on the restrictions; after all, why not serve one who will grant such wonders, if all that it requires is to be kind, just, and ordered in your life?

His life was wonderful, aiding others, not only of his people but those lost within the ruins, or under attack from looters. Until one day, Pistis Sophia gave a desire into his heart to study under a proper master, and so he bade farewell to the ruins that he loved so much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 6

Zool is doing well; he has his first ability bonus (which has been placed in Charisma), and has since gone down to a -1 on his Flurry of Blows. His AC has skyrocketed, and he now is immune to all magical attempts to read his mind, his alignment, or to see if he lies (which he never would do, being good). He also now has a bunch of combat feats (needed for the PrC that he's going to enter soon.) More or less, this point is kinda boring.

Zool arrived years later to a monastery, and requested entry; his wisdom was apparent to the monks inside, and so they accepted him into their ranks, and taught him the ways of Shim Soo, until one day his hands were seen to shine with both lawfulness and goodness, their very touch bringing pain to the wicked; his eyes were even said to be able to see the hearts within man and beast. And so he bade farewell to the monastery, and found a mountain top, and sat upon it to meditate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 12

The Monkey HAS THE POWER! Through the Shim Soo class feature, he can, 1/round, attack as a touch attack... 3/day. Which combines exceedingly well with Decisive Strike. And by this point, his Stunning Fists are PAINFUL; he stuns for one round, then the enemy is nauseated the round after that (AND staggered if the enemy is Evil.) And he can whip out 2/round.

Besides that, he now has a bit of DR and Energy Resistance, and can Smite Evil! (for +4 to hit and Damage, but you take what you can get.) He also has Holy Ki Strike, and a wondrous little thing called... Touch of Golden Ice. Yes, he is quite frankly a pain to fight if you are evil (I know, I know, a bad pun.)

Zool meditated for years upon years, fighting whatever malfeasant being who came to fight him, and enlightening all who came to seek his wisdom. He slowly cast away desires from his mind, whether they be for objects or for personal pleasure.

And lo, his skin began to shine with holy light, people went away from him healed, and, one day, he arose from the mountaintop, his face shining with the purity of his life, and walked into the world, his nature transformed from a base mortal into a Celestial. And so, he did good around the world, until Pistis Sophia called him to her side. He went, faithfully, and vowed to never falter in his service.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 18

Zool really is just getting more of the same old, same old; however, he has gained a few new tricks, most notably constant True Seeing, much faster healing, immunity to breathing, no need to sleep, DR 10/Unholy (which is a very, very uncommon type of damage... I think that, what, 5 things in the entire game deal it? I may be overestimating that amount.), and immunity to Electricity, which is very Celestial. Oh, and constant Freedom of Movement. All the time.

A Single Smite Attack at 18th level, against an Evil Creature
    Spoiler
    Show
    4d6+14*2 (AVG 56 damage); Fort Save DC 32 or be Stunned (drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any)) for one round, Nauseated (unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn) and Staggered (has Nonlethal damage equal to HP; only can take one action per round) the next. Additionally, a DC 14 Fort Save or take 1d6 Dex damage; 2d6 Dex damage 10 rounds later.

Strategy
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you are facing an evil character, try to hit them with one big strike to begin with (a la the above.); if you do this, you can lightly tap them next round (make a nonlethal attack), and they will fall unconscious for a couple of hours (staggered is pretty explicit in what it is; their HP and their Nonlethal HP are equal for 1 round due to Fist of the Heavens.)

You can also soften up the enemy with Doom and Cause Fear, both of which have a DC of 23 by 18th level; they may be weak, but they are at least something.

You have an equal amount of Shim Soo and Smite Evil uses; this is not a coincidence. Go ahead, smite their Touch AC!

Your AC is incredibly high; you have an AC of 38 (Touch 35/Flatfooted 38), and Rogues of less than 15th level can't flank you. Combine with excellent saves (your Will Save at 20th level is +28), Improved Evasion, and DR 10/Unholy, you are quite the tough puppy. Consider trying to draw the attention of evil creatures; your attacks will always have a chance to deal Dex damage, and you can kick ass with your Stunning attacks.

Leave the enemies immune to critical hits alone; you are less effective against them, and the rest of the party needs something to do.

Spoiler
    Show