New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Evocation Spells! (3.5, WIP, PEACH)

Ok, fixed up most of the spells. Pure energy now does just damage and have added a clause bypassing immunity to massive damage for purposes of the spell.
    If anybody would like to suggest some others i make please dont hesitate.

Edit: My first thread to reach two pages, personal best!
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-02-22 at 05:53 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

• Mass fireball: Twin fireball is a 7th level spell and twin is one of the better metamagics. If you say that targets don't take extra damage from overlapping fireballs then that could tone it down a great deal, maybe even making it a 6th level spell.
    • Incinerate: ~Scorching ray + quicken lesser glitterdust? Cool, though maybe a bit weak for the level if the blindness doesn't also affect the target.
    • Electrocute: Cool. Though if the stunning isn't mind effecting it's one of the best save-or-loses out there even if it does 0 damage. I think people underestimate the combination of two lesser effects by focusing too much on one effect.
    • Icy Prison: Cool :P.
    • Energized Field: Cool. I like how in extremely desperate situations it might include a high HP melee ally in the area together with enemies.
    • Pure Energy Ray: Do you mean 1d4 per caster level? Even at level 20 it's a 50:50 shot of actually getting 50 damage. OTOH it gets really good once empowered. I'd make the massive damage save DC text "equal to the spell save DC" or "equal to the spell save DC minus 2" if you want (same as 13 + casting stat modifier if the caster doesn't have spell focus). Rather than adding a new confusing save DC mechanic.
    • Pure Energy Ray, Pure Energy Blast: Ditto on the save DC mechanic. Pure Energy Blast runs into the opposite problem in that with 17 d8s every single target will almost certainly receive over 50 damage each. Since nothing is immune and since you don't have to worry about hitting allies, this spell is much better than other 9th level spells like wail of the banshee.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-02-22 at 06:34 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Im glad you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Mass fireball: Twin fireball is a 7th level spell and twin is one of the better metamagics. If you say that targets don't take extra damage from overlapping fireballs then that could tone it down a great deal, maybe even making it a 6th level spell.
    When you have two fireballs only one will affect a single target, but when you get 3 then two of them will affect and so on.

Incinerate: ~Scorching ray + quicken lesser glitterdust? Cool, though maybe a bit weak for the level if the blindness doesn't also affect the target.
    Fixed to include the target.

Electrocute: Cool. Though if the stunning isn't mind effecting it's one of the best save-or-loses out there even if it does 0 damage. I think people underestimate the combination of two lesser effects by focusing too much on one effect.
    The stun isnt mind effecting at this stage, no.

Pure Energy Ray: Do you mean 1d4 per caster level? Even at level 20 it's a 50:50 shot of actually getting 50 damage. OTOH it gets really good once empowered. I'd make the massive damage save DC text "equal to the spell save DC" or "equal to the spell save DC minus 2" if you want (same as 13 + casting stat modifier if the caster doesn't have spell focus). Rather than adding a new confusing save DC mechanic.
    At the moment it is 1d6 per caster level + caster level, to a maximum of 15d6 +15. That allows it to reach 50 damage at higher levels despite energy resistance potentially lowering it. It also allows it to be metamagiced well.
    Fixed up the save DC to be equal to a DC from that spell level -2.

Pure Energy Ray, Pure Energy Blast: Ditto on the save DC mechanic. Pure Energy Blast runs into the opposite problem in that with 17 d8s every single target will almost certainly receive over 50 damage each. Since nothing is immune and since you don't have to worry about hitting allies, this spell is much better than other 9th level spells like wail of the banshee.
    At a level 9 spell I want evocation to be worth it, a 'capstone' making evocation worthy of being a specialty school again. Fixed the DC and the whole resistance issue though.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika