New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Home 11

1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Home 11

Ex-LANTERN HQ

"Yeah yeah, I know that. But you've gotta still have the ******* manual, blueprints, whatever around here somewhere. Hell, last I checked it was hooked up to some sorta computer. What happened to that?" Riv says, looking around the room to see if there's anything worth stealing.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice closes her eyes in concentration, her muscles tensing. For a moment nothing happens, and then her arm begins to contract, growing slightly shorter. It moves at an extremely slow pace, and it seems to grow wider as it shortens. It is not the blood that is moving, but the magic keeping it in.
    "I'm sorry, I can't draw my blood in. I can make it move, but not draw it in." Miss Q's eyes remain closed as she continues to try, to no avail.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEmperor View Post
    Ex-LANTERN HQ

"Yeah yeah, I know that. But you've gotta still have the ******* manual, blueprints, whatever around here somewhere. Hell, last I checked it was hooked up to some sorta computer. What happened to that?" Riv says, looking around the room to see if there's anything worth stealing.
    Other then the TV, couch, PS3, games and movies, there's nothing worth stealing. "Sir, I only arrived at this place about five minutes before you. I don't even know where my damn room is; let alone blue prints for a cloning machine." Jack says.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

Defelent's House

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Yay, eating.

Afterwards Defelent goes upstairs to get changed and put on actual clothes. Unless Naethalee follows, anyway, and judging by the way he tried (and failed) to wink at her, he'd be willing for her to follow.
    Naethalee merely giggles and wriggles her eyebrows at Defelent, but appears to be content to sit and quietly digest her meal in peace. Exercise immediately after eating isn't good, after all!

[Beach]

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Well, I went to the library looking for books that'd help us with teaching Sizewell and I met them. One of them is Cessie Mithar, the same that sits on the Council and the other is Nadas Xar'Cha, a drow. They're both really interested in magical theory. Cessie is building a golem herself, to take care of her children, Dorota explains.
    "Oh, wow. Xar'Cha? Is he related to Raril Xar'Cha?" Crissy asks, her eyes widening in surprise!

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

[Beach]

Dorota scowls a little. Maybe. Who's Raril Xar'Cha? She's never heard of him, actually.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Orc in the Playground

Defelent's House

Well, Defelent will be gone for a while. But Tracy's still here, sitting and eating her bran flakes and muesli.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crashed Fighter]

Apprentice-Pilot, carrying someone recovered in a graveyard, returns here. 'Here' being a Kzinti fighter, the cockpit of which is rather smashed, though the rear section is mostly undamaged.

Said rear section is where he's taking the new arrival to the Nexus, to place her in a human-style autodoc, which should be able to tell if there's anything physically wrong with her, though not why if it's magical or psionic.

8. - Top - End - #608

[Crashed Fighter]

As he's carrying her, she does moan once. Doesn't stir, though.

Physically, there isn't much wrong with her. Maybe some bruises from falling out of the portal. She's just out for now.

Once that scan is done, she does moan again. She brings her hand up to her forehead.

Ow...what happened...? She hasn't opened her eyes yet.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crashed Fighter]

"I am not entirely certain,"
    the Kzin replies calmly, from his seat in a nearby chair. "I stumbled upon you in a graveyard in Inside, unconscious for as-yet undetermined reasons, and brought you here in order to attempt treatment if, as seemed a reasonable assumption at the time, you were injured. However... Is it normal for you to have a rather large quantity of dark energy in you?"

10. - Top - End - #610

[Crashed Fighter]

At the sound of an unknown voice, the woman's eyes snap open. She sits up quickly, looks at Kzin for a moment...and screams.

Where am I? She'll try to hop off the table and put it between her and Kzin, if she can. Who are you? What are you?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crashed Fighter]

It is indeed possible to put the autodoc between her and the Kzin.

"You are in the medical area of a crashed fighter on the outskirts of Inside,"
    he explains, ears flattening back somewhat in his species' equivalent of a frown. "I am Apprentice-Pilot, though the name is somewhat less appropriate now than it was when I arrived here. As for what I am, I am a Kzin; in the terms used by your species, a felinoid alien."

12. - Top - End - #612

Crashed Fighter

The woman is obviously stunned by all of this. She stammers a bit before actually saying something.

You...you're...no...this...this can't be actually happening....has to be some kind of dream...has to be...yeah...gonna wake up soon...this will all be a dream...all of it...

The way she says that last part might imply she means more than just what happened here.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crashed Fighter]

"This is doubtful, since I have memories of events not including you since I came to the Nexus. Theoretically, it could be a large experiment in collective hallucinations, which you were just added to, but I find that unlikely as well, since my memories are uninterrupted back to my own universe, and I never began to participate in such an experiment.

Also, you seem to be referring to additional events, presumably prior to being brought here. What exactly do you believe you dreamed, other than this?"
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2012-04-21 at 12:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #614

Crashed Fighter

The woman puts her hands on the sides of her head and scrunches her eyes shut again. She seems to be panicking a little.

It's...it's too much. Stuff like isn't supposed to happen. It isn't supposed to be real.

She sits herself back on the autodoc, head still in her hands. I have no idea what's going on any more. Haven't for a few months, at least. She looks to Kzin. Her eyes are red. By all I know, you shouldn't exist. But, here we are.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

[Crashed Fighter]

"Indeed. I suppose you're new to the Nexus, then, if you're still fazed by impossibilities?"
    , he replies, half-furling his ears in a Kzinti smile. "What exactly has been happening to you in the past few months?"

16. - Top - End - #616
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    The Cornucopia

Alice closes her eyes in concentration, her muscles tensing. For a moment nothing happens, and then her arm begins to contract, growing slightly shorter. It moves at an extremely slow pace, and it seems to grow wider as it shortens. It is not the blood that is moving, but the magic keeping it in.
    "I'm sorry, I can't draw my blood in. I can make it move, but not draw it in." Miss Q's eyes remain closed as she continues to try, to no avail.
    Sticks has to wonder if she'd survive, were he to simply dispel the magic. She's made it so far, despite all that blood being on the outside of her body. But he'd have to do something about the stump quick...

"It's alright," He says, turning toward his workbench. He grabs the replacement arm off of it - it's a little small, but serviceable for the time being. It's criss-crossed with various magical lines, along with a few thin copper wires. "Just hold still."

Sticks detaches the forearm at the elbow and places the crude metal limb on the table. He then retrieves something from his belt - the Soul of a Vampire, ideal for destroying blood magic. A crimson light shines from between his bony fingers. "I'm going to remove the barrier around your arm."

At this point, unless she objects, he will use his magic items to begin undoing the spell. To begin, he crushes the Vampire Soul in his hand, producing an audible sigh from the glowing mass of energy. Wisps of raw power float out around Alice Q's arm, whirling in place. Sticks touches his phalanges to the black magic field, then attempts to sever it.

Essentially, the bones dispel black magic. The eye allows him to see the finest points of a glamour, the tiny, invisible ley lines that make up all magic. Together, these things give him a potent tool for deconstructing enchantments. The field should simply disintegrate, manifesting as white dust falling away from the blood-arm.

The vampire soul should then hold the blood in the air, provided the first part of the spell was successful. It hisses hungrily, but otherwise just maintains the field that Alice's black magic once held together.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-04-22 at 01:01 AM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #617

Crashed Fighter

The woman brings her knees to her chin and wraps her arms around her legs. My town's always had stories of strange disappearances. You know, classic ghost story material. So, I thought it'd be fun to do some investigations into them. See what's true and what isn't. First week of it, nothing unusual happened. But...then...I don't know. I started seeing these symbols in different places...and I started blacking out and waking up some place miles away, not knowing how I got there. I probably should've stopped then. But, I was too curious. I had to know. She falls silent for a moment, moving a hand to check the back of her shoulder. She gives a small sigh when she feels the frayed edges of her jacket. That's the fourth time I've woken to find the back of my shirt destroyed.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

18. - Top - End - #618
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Sticks has to wonder if she'd survive, were he to simply dispel the magic. She's made it so far, despite all that blood being on the outside of her body. But he'd have to do something about the stump quick...

"It's alright," He says, turning toward his workbench. He grabs the replacement arm off of it - it's a little small, but serviceable for the time being. It's criss-crossed with various magical lines, along with a few thin copper wires. "Just hold still."

Sticks detaches the forearm at the elbow and places the crude metal limb on the table. He then retrieves something from his belt - the Soul of a Vampire, ideal for destroying blood magic. A crimson light shines from between his bony fingers. "I'm going to remove the barrier around your arm."

At this point, unless she objects, he will use his magic items to begin undoing the spell. To begin, he crushes the Vampire Soul in his hand, producing an audible sigh from the glowing mass of energy. Wisps of raw power float out around Alice Q's arm, whirling in place. Sticks touches his phalanges to the black magic field, then attempts to sever it.

Essentially, the bones dispel black magic. The eye allows him to see the finest points of a glamour, the tiny, invisible ley lines that make up all magic. Together, these things give him a potent tool for deconstructing enchantments. The field should simply disintegrate, manifesting as white dust falling away from the blood-arm.

The vampire soul should then hold the blood in the air, provided the first part of the spell was successful. It hisses hungrily, but otherwise just maintains the field that Alice's black magic once held together.

Alice keeps her eyes tightly closed, trusting that Sticks knows what to do. As the Vampire Soul wraps around her arm, the blood-construct twitches slightly. Then, as Sticks severs the magic, a great wailing sound goes up. The arm convulses, moving of it's own accord, only to fall apart into dust. The blood remains, contained by the Soul.
    Alice's eyes snap open, and she stares blankly ahead for a moment. Her irises seem to glow red for an instant, but then return to their normal blue. She shivers, and stares down at her arm, not sure what to make of the whirling Vampire Soul.
    "What...what's that? Did it work?" She looks at Sticks apprehensively.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619

The Cornucopia

"Almost..." Sticks grunts distractedly, under a bit of duress. Now comes the hard part. He already has trouble controlling the Vampire Soul around blood - now he has to make it put the blood back.

The Soul hisses in anger as it carries the lifeblood back inside Alice's arm. Provided that is successful, Sticks will snatch up the metal arm from the table and press it to Alice's stump. No warning whatsoever, as he has to do it fast.

A searing pain should shoot up Alice's arm. The steel cup at the end of the arm is welding itself to her, cauterizing the flesh, digging those copper wires into the bone.

A spell fuses the bone, and a set of sigils flash into existence around her arm before fading. They're still there - without them, she wouldn't be able to move or feel the thing at all. It finishes the process of binding steel to her body. Rather than having a phantom limb - the psychological (some practitioners would say psychic) phenomenon of feeling sensations on an appendage that isn't there, Alice should feel them through the forearm Sticks provided.

Sticks is breathing hard by this point. Controlling the vampire soul was too much to bear. He forces it back into the jar at his belt, popping the glass closed and sighing. He leans heavily on the table.

((All actions attempted, of course))

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #620
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice gasps as the blood is directed back into her system, and she blinks her eyes rapidly. The sudden rush of blood makes her feel somewhat disoriented. As Sticks presses the mechanical arm onto her she simply stares at it with a look of mild puzzlement. Then the pain hits her, and she screams, automatically flinching away from it. It has already attached itself to her, though, and she clutches the arm tightly as she grits her teeth against the pain. As it fades, she falls to her knees, her eyes tearing up as she tries to keep steady.
    After a few moments, Alice starts to relax, as the pain is replaced by a dull ache. She slowly flexes her new arm, opening and closing her hand with trepidation. A smile lights up her face as she moves her arm back and forth, wiggling the metal fingers and bending her wrist from side to side. It worked! She has a new arm, one that can feel! And now she was no longer going to die. It's too much for her to take in all at once, and she begins laughing, tears of happiness running down her cheeks. For the moment, at least, she is oblivious to the outside world, filled with a sense of relief beyond words.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621

The Cornucopia

After catching his breath, Sticks starts to hesitantly remove the draining magical artifacts. One shouldn't wear them any longer than strictly necessary. He tosses them onto the desk haphazardly before snatching up his normal eye and popping it back into it's socket.

He steps around the table and offers his hand to Alice, so that she might stand again. "Miss Q? Does it feel alright?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #622
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

Alice takes his hand with her new mechanical one, getting dazedly to her feet. "It feels. I can feel again. You saved my life." She stands there looking at Sticks for a moment, then she tries to hug him. "Thank you, Mister Sticks! I can't tell you how wonderful this is!" She steps back with a delighted smile on her face, rubbing her metal palm with wonder.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #623

The Cornucopia

Sticks is hugged! This has not happened to him in a long, long while. The soul-trader flails a little, but eventually just returns the embrace awkwardly. When they pull apart, he replies in a flustered tone.

"N-now don't get too excited. It's just temporary. It needs some diligent maintenance to work right." He smiles. "I'd like to make you a real arm, soon."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #624
    Orc in the Playground

Alice is too happy to take any flaws in the limb seriously. Her eyes widen once more as Sticks mentions giving her a real arm. "Wait, what do you mean real? You can make a flesh and blood arm?"
    Miss Q is already amazed by his prowess with metal, and the thought that he can do even more is incredible. Meeting Sticks is the best thing that could have happened to her.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-24 at 02:11 AM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

"I'd like to try," Sticks clarifies, hoping he didn't get her hopes up too fast. She does seem awfully happy with the metal arm, however. Sticks is quite proud of his work. "I'm used to iron and copper, not flesh and muscle. I'll see if I can find someone to help with that."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

26. - Top - End - #626
    Orc in the Playground

The Cornucopia

"Having a real arm would be wonderful...but even if it's impossible, this is more than I could have hoped for. Truly, thank you." Alice smiles, then her face falls as something occurs to her. "How am I going to repay you? There's nothing I have that would even come close to a fair payment for this."
    There has to be something she can do for him in return. He saved her life, after all.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    The Cornucopia

"Having a real arm would be wonderful...but even if it's impossible, this is more than I could have hoped for. Truly, thank you." Alice smiles, then her face falls as something occurs to her. "How am I going to repay you? There's nothing I have that would even come close to a fair payment for this."
    There has to be something she can do for him in return. He saved her life, after all.
    Sticks looks at Alice thoughtfully a moment. He could always ask for part of her soul, per usual with his deals, but... it doesn't feel right this time.

Then he gets a better idea. Sticks flashes one of his clever smiles, the 'nervous tinkerer' exterior fading quickly. "How would like to work for me, Miss Q? As a saleswoman?" Who better to make deals with newcomers than someone he helped for free? And even if she declines, he can always come up with something else.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #628

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Other then the TV, couch, PS3, games and movies, there's nothing worth stealing. "Sir, I only arrived at this place about five minutes before you. I don't even know where my damn room is; let alone blue prints for a cloning machine." Jack says.
    "Then it looks like you'll be blessed with my presence a bit longer." Riv snarls, signalling to his grunts to step away from the door. "We're going on a little tour of this station, and you're gonna be taking the lead. Y'know, so that if you just happen to remember about any traps that just happen to be in our way, you can disarm them real quick before someone gets hurt."
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

Ex-LANTERN HQ
    "Like I said, if there are any traps, I am completely in the dark. But fine, let's do this your way." Jack says.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

30. - Top - End - #630
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    Sticks looks at Alice thoughtfully a moment. He could always ask for part of her soul, per usual with his deals, but... it doesn't feel right this time.

Then he gets a better idea. Sticks flashes one of his clever smiles, the 'nervous tinkerer' exterior fading quickly. "How would like to work for me, Miss Q? As a saleswoman?" Who better to make deals with newcomers than someone he helped for free? And even if she declines, he can always come up with something else.
    The Cornucopia

Alice considers his offer. She isn't a terribly social person, but she does owe him. And besides, this shop is amazing, working here would be a great job. Maybe she could even learn about the mechanical devices and how to make them. All in all, this is an offer she can't possibly refuse.
    "I would love to work for you, Mister Sticks! I don't have much experience with selling items, so I'd have to learn on the job, but I can do that. And I'd get be here all day! Thank you so much for this." Things so rarely work out in her favor that she is quite stunned by this turn of events. Stunned but happy.
    Last edited by Sneaky Weasel; 2012-04-25 at 05:17 PM.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show