New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

This is the main thread for Explorers of Acacia.
    You are all in the city of Clevefort. Clevefort is a major trading hub, and therefore boasts the largest market in the world. It is noon. Where you are in the city is up to you.

Other threads:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-04-20 at 12:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

"You can't bring that thing in 'ere lad, you'll 'ave to leave it int' stables!"
    Two guards cross their Halberds in front of Halaza and Jesskya as they approach the town gates.

The two of them had been approaching the gates side by side at a breif strole.
    As they walked admiring the "aging" walls of the trading hub and the rather "rag-tag", yet honest, looking guardsmen who patrolled the walls and guarded the entrance.

"Lad?..."
    "Thing?..."
    The guards expression falls from unfrendly to confused and he begins to look to his colleague for reassurance...
    "We mean no trouble for this city, your fine men of the guard or the merchants here. But I must request entrance for my friend here."

"Im sorry lov but we cant do tha... Aint no girls allowed t'carry swords in 'ere town an certainly ain't no talking 'orses allowed in."
    Both men now stand smiling at the girl, their mouths only half full of teeth.

"Just you see here!"
    She pushes forward her shield and pokes a plated finger at the crest of her order.
    "You see that, that means I hunt tyrany! I destroy those who intend to take away the freedom of others! Be that Red Dragons or Sexist Pigs!..."
    She wiggles her shield in the sunlight.
    "You see that? Its made of Mythril and is worth more than everything you own, that means I am good at it!
    Now step aside!"

Hands held ready to grab her weapon, in case either of them chooses to attack her, she pushes past their halberds and steps into the trading hub.
    Jesskya taking the mental cue to follow stays at her heels and they walk through together...

"Come on Jess, first we need somewhere to sell a few things."
    She looks up at the darkening sky.
    "Then we need to find the local holy-man and get a bed for the night..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral walks at a leisurely pace among the stalls, taking in the sharp, red-black aroma of meat on open fires and the incessant droning of conversation. Dressed in light traveling garb, with a longbow slung on his back, he attracts no more attention than the next mercenary on his way through the crossroads of the world. He watches, listens, and continues, looking for somewhere to sleep, or perhaps some sport.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-02-21 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Dust puffs up as a boot makes a stomp, blue-tinted metal boots coming round the corner and an angered grunt from the tall figure covered in expertly-crafted armor, each indent carved to her muscular form and leaving plenty of room to move the rest of her body. Tall tusks protrude from the lower jaw of the strangely biege half-orc, a curse muttered from her hallowed cheeks while she slips a thick ebony wand into the haversack attached to her side.

Despite the threatening entrance to the market, few seem to be scared of the armed and armored half-orc, her appearance less brutish than most of her kind, a shining silver pendant attached to a loosely hanging white cloak pushed over her shoulders, sparkling like a diamond beneath the light of day. Zrekha moves through the crowd, clearing a path for herself and softly nudging others out of her way through the market, as she searches for any kind of group that looks like they know what they're doing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Such as an enclave of wizards, a guild building, an adventuring party...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    Despite the threatening entrance to the market, few seem to be scared of the armed and armored half-orc, her appearance less brutish than most of her kind, a shining silver pendant attached to a loosely hanging white cloak pushed over her shoulders, sparkling like a diamond beneath the light of day. Zrekha moves through the crowd, clearing a path for herself and softly nudging others out of her way through the market, as she searches for any kind of group that looks like they know what they're doing.
    Your search found no large groups, but you do spot someone (Lyral, to be precise).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Algrith squinted against the sunlight as he walked down the stairs with Imaran.
    They had been in the library for many hours looking up old tomes and scrolls for any scrapes of information. With a little force of will he could ignore the hunger and thirst but his deep dwelling friend did not have his talents. Besides, the food they had sampled in the main market of Clevefort a few days ago was good, even if it came from one of the carts rather than a proper sit-down restaurant.
    What should we eat today? The smell of the spiced Tuli Peppers was amazing but the man sellling it smelled worse than an ogre.
    He had mentioned it to the man, who promptly told him to stuff it and refused to sell him the Tuli Peppers he was roasting. Mortals could be so touchy.
    He hunched up his robes, like those of the mendicant monks of Murcia. He even had his shaved like him. He doubted Janus cared. Algirth realized many years ago that, by looking like one of the begger monks, people tended to leave you alone. Especially bandits. He prefered to be left alone in his pursuits, although Imaran was more than just tolerable. Most people just rubbed him the wrong way. And, as they complained, he rubbed him more than just a little wrong. <Don't really care> he thought to himself as he stumbled the last couple of steps, his nose already in a book.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lia

I vault a low fence, ducking under branches left and right as I tear away from my pursuers. The baron's men are getting better; learning my skills; anticipating my moves. This will be my last raid, time to find a new cause. It hardly matters. The baron loves nothing more than his money, and I've proved such a threat to it that he'll dare not move it from his estate - not even to pay the wages of his workers. His illegal logging business will soon collapse, and the elvish wood folk who secured my services will no longer fear for their homes.

The wind of my passage presses my veil against my face... it's not strictly necessary in the gloom of the wood, but I haven't found time to remove it since the bright sun earlier. An arrow whistles by several metres overhead, and I pause to return fire. A solid shaft of maplewood buries itself in the man's neck. I listen to the sounds of pursuit - I may be faster, but they're all around and will soon be on me. I've certainly cut this one too close.

In one swift movement I scale the nearest tree and disappear. For half an hour I wait as the baron's men search fruitlessly. Finally they give up, leaving to report their failure. Leaving me alone in the tree.

Alone save for 3000g of the baron's money.

I enter the city of Clevefort two days later. I leave my animals in a stable by the Veyveyr Gate, continuing on foot. One of the guards tries to make out that women aren't allowed weapons, but I just laugh derisively and put him in his place with a blistering flourish. Deciding he'd sooner not be the one attempting to part me from my weapons, he waves me through. The Clevefort watch is notorious for hiring hoodlums, bullies and idiots looking for a way to make themselves look big. I pay them no further mind as I head towards the city's forum.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2012-02-23 at 08:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hm... it looks like a pretty good sized city.... And every nice place has it's darkside.... I bet I can get some information here.

Tarmikos stared at the buildings about him, having just entered Clevefort after hiking for several days. He spun in place several times, admiring the structures and doing a bit of people watching.

After steadying himself from the dizzyness he inflicted upon himself, he started looking around. I suppose I should get started by finding the nearest gathering place. Bet there's a bar of some kind where I could ask a few questions.

A goofy grin spread across his face as he began to march into the heart of the local, his greyish-green cloak flowing behind him, revealing dark blue armor and black boots, as well as asorted weaponry. At the very least, I bet I can find someone to help or something fun to do!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral sizes up the orcish foreigner as she approaches. The armor seems to be good quality, although he has not had the need for such toys in some time. However, he spots the wand as she slips it into the haversack. As a fellow hunter, she seems formidable: perhaps she might lead him to more challenging prey in turn. Moving as if to walk past her, he bumps up against her.
    "Sorry."
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Sadly that wasn't the end of the gate fiasco.
    Some more guards caught up with Halaza and "insisted" that Jesskya must stay in the stables.
    However after telling these guards how she had been treated upon entering the city she was told the incident would be "investigated".

Whether it would she had no idea, she mearly hoped that Jesskya would be well looked after and paid extra care to keep the link between them open to make sure her companion was safe and sound.

Now all she wanted was a place to sit down and relax, her journey to destory the cultists slavery ring had been long and far, a decent bed beckoning her...

With little patience to continue searching for a free bed at a church she headed to the nearest inn... They would charge her but atleast it would be easier to find.

11. - Top - End - #11

Zrekha moves through the crowd with intent in her eyes, intent to find people that didn't seem to be there. She walks with a slight stomp in each step, getting frustrated in just a few moments before she feels a wiry man bump into her side, causing her to let out a loud snarl at him as she stops dead in her tracks, one muscled hand gripping the large hilt of the greatsword strapped to her black, the hilt embedded with a clear blue crystal, tiny wisps of smoke blowing out of the scabbard, but she does not make a move to assault.

She knew that it would get her in trouble to hit somebody with a sword in this city; it wasn't like the road she knew. She looked the man over; no armor, no weapon, nothing seemed to be on him. Most people gave her at least a little freedom to move through the crowd. A quick narrowing of her ferocious eyes told her that he had magic items adorning his body; not many could afford such things. That meant he'd earned them somehow.

She thinks on her options for a few moments before turning around completely, raising her strong and clear voice for the passing man to hear. "What. Are you doing?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

At the orc's seemingly unreasonable outrage, Lyral merely raises his head to look at her. He expresses nothing but the stretched calm of a lake before a storm.
    "Just moving along."
    He stares at Zrekha with eyes of slate, unblinking.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    Algrith squinted against the sunlight as he walked down the stairs with Imaran.
    They had been in the library for many hours looking up old tomes and scrolls for any scrapes of information. With a little force of will he could ignore the hunger and thirst but his deep dwelling friend did not have his talents. Besides, the food they had sampled in the main market of Clevefort a few days ago was good, even if it came from one of the carts rather than a proper sit-down restaurant.
    What should we eat today? The smell of the spiced Tuli Peppers was amazing but the man sellling it smelled worse than an ogre.
    He had mentioned it to the man, who promptly told him to stuff it and refused to sell him the Tuli Peppers he was roasting. Mortals could be so touchy.
    He hunched up his robes, like those of the mendicant monks of Murcia. He even had his shaved like him. He doubted Janus cared. Algirth realized many years ago that, by looking like one of the begger monks, people tended to leave you alone. Especially bandits. He prefered to be left alone in his pursuits, although Imaran was more than just tolerable. Most people just rubbed him the wrong way. And, as they complained, he rubbed him more than just a little wrong. <Don't really care> he thought to himself as he stumbled the last couple of steps, his nose already in a book.
    Imaran opened his mouth to respond, then shut it again, seeing Algirth's nose already buried in a book. He sighed mentally, then answered anyway. Let us see what we can find in the marketplace. Surely there must be something new to try. He was sure that he had been heard in some deep recess of the man's mind, but not particularly paid attention to. He steered Algirth's shoulder towards the market. It was okay. He liked being left to his thoughts. His thoughts wandered. He hoped she was okay. It had been a few days since he had let her out, as he was in a city. His hand twiched towards the manuscript at his belt, but he forced his hand away. Algirth was the first man he had met who was even less aware than he, and so it was up to him to keep them on course -- at least until they found a place to sit in the market.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    At the orc's seemingly unreasonable outrage, Lyral merely raises his head to look at her. He expresses nothing but the stretched calm of a lake before a storm.
    "Just moving along."
    He stares at Zrekha with eyes of slate, unblinking.
    Some people have stopped to watch you two.

Quote Originally Posted by Psymple View Post
    With little patience to continue searching for a free bed at a church she headed to the nearest inn... They would charge her but atleast it would be easier to find.
    As you turn a corner to start looking for an inn, you finally find a church.

15. - Top - End - #15

Zrekha locks eyes with the blank-faced man, clickety-clacking the metal of her gauntlet against her greaves. This man looked like he was feral but calm at the same time; like a slave. "Where did you get those?" She asks, directing her finger to the various magical items adorning various parts of the man's body.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Ahh a church.
    Better be one of the less pious ones...
    One that doesn't ring bells on the hour every hour...
    I need some serious shut eye.

Halaza stand by the door,
    she takes a deep breath and straightens her hair.
    She buttons her nobles tunic up to the top of her neck and removes her armoured gauntlets. Then she adjusts her weapon sheaths and checks the belts are tucked into the belt loops.

Finally she pulls her tabard straight and smoothes out the creases so that it hangs down perfectly around her chest and legs.
    The bottom is muddy and stained with dirt however the rest has remained mostly dirt free.

Aww damn blood stains!
    Why do the evil ones have to bleed so much.

Spotting the small blood stain on her thigh she spits onto the fabric and rubs it with her hands hoping to dull the stain as best she can.

Finally she checks her shield, turning it and looked into it...
    The shield seems to shine although it had recently been polished with great care.

Heh, that magical enchantment seems to have other benefits other than just keeping me in one piece.

She reattaches the shield to her arm and steps into the church.

---

Her plated boots sound against the stone floor loudly and the sound penetrates deep into the silence of the church...
    There she stand in the doorway of the church, having made herself up her best, waiting for her greeting.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral leans in, ensuring that only Zrekha can hear him. She smells of steel and sweat. Delicious. He smiles, the cold grimace not quite reaching his eyes.
    "Trappings of prey."
    He steals a couple of glances to the crowd that seems to be surveying them now. Moving back, he adopts a casual, but confident stance.
    "Follow me."
    He begins to walk in a northward direction, to the edge of the busier markets. He does not look back to ensure that Zrekha is following: either she does, or he will find other quarry.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-02-22 at 11:33 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #18

The half-orc stands tall as the man leans towards her, eyes simply watching him. Not many people would choose to move so close until they knew her; especially not when she had to giant weapons attached to her. The man had confidence and magical items; it was enough for her. Pride was not a feature she lacked.

Zrekha keeps her eyes focused on the man as he walks away. If his challenge was for her to follow, she would. Her hands come to rest at her side, and she follows the small man swiftly, and her cloak billows behind her.
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2012-02-22 at 12:04 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral waits until he sees what seems to be the entrance to a side street. A small, contented smile steals across his face as he feels the warmth of the late afternoon sun. He can feel the half-orc behind him: her movements lack subtlety. He waits until he is sure that no one is visible, before turning to face her.
    "I'm glad you came."
    Upon further examination of her, he realizes that she is probably physically stronger than himself. While he certainly has faith in his own speed and durability, he would do well not to underestimate this warrior either. Perhaps he could use a fellow hunter for a while.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-02-22 at 12:23 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Her plated boots sound against the stone floor loudly and the sound penetrates deep into the silence of the church...
    There she stand in the doorway of the church, having made herself up her best, waiting for her greeting.
    As you step in, it is very clear that this is a church of Saturn, god of agriculture, justice and strength. Someone walks over to you and inquires as to who you are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

In the church of Saturn Kel takes a break from feeding Silvan some hunted rations to take note of the armor clad stranger.

Kel thinks to himself as he tries to listen to the stranger, Hm, must be a paladin returning. Doesn't seem to be from around here seeming the response of the clergy. Lets see where this goes
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2012-02-22 at 03:31 PM.
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

I am Halaza, a Paladin of Freedom from a small order known as the Copper Hearts.
    I seek refuge and a bed for the night.

She holds our a hand towards the man approaching her.
    Knowing that they should respect her as a warrior of justice and strength.

Perhaps I can tell you some of my recent adventure,
    killing slavers cultists and freeing innocents, over a nice warm drink?
    Last edited by Psymple; 2012-02-22 at 03:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah enters the city of Cleveport, tired and dusty from the road. He hopes to find some sort of library or bookshop, and begins searching the city.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lia

I relax in the shadow of a large brass lion statue, one of a pair guarding the north end of the forum, and nibble at a local pasty. It's the only thing I've bought this morning, and it's succulent, unnamed meat goes a long way towards staving off the hunger that's been slowly building. I haven't found anything wirth buying yet, but I resolve to keep looking during the afternoon and then maybe seek out Cleveport's adventurer's guild later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled either a 21 (Gather Information) or 24 (Search) to look look for decent bargains in the market.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I am Halaza, a Paladin of Freedom from a small order known as the Copper Hearts.
    I seek refuge and a bed for the night.

She holds our a hand towards the man approaching her.
    Knowing that they should respect her as a warrior of justice and strength.

Perhaps I can tell you some of my recent adventure,
    killing slavers cultists and freeing innocents, over a nice warm drink?
    He says "That sounds like a fine tale. Come, I shall have someone prepare a place for you."

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Lia

I relax in the shadow of a large brass lion statue, one of a pair guarding the north end of the forum, and nibble at a local pasty. It's the only thing I've bought this morning, and it's succulent, unnamed meat goes a long way towards staving off the hunger that's been slowly building. I haven't found anything wirth buying yet, but I resolve to keep looking during the afternoon and then maybe seek out Cleveport's adventurer's guild later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled either a 21 (Gather Information) or 24 (Search) to look look for decent bargains in the market.
    Your search pays off. There is a wondrous item shop having a sale at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any wondrous item with normal price of 4000 gp or less is available at this store, with a 5% discount.

As it happens, someone did tell you where to find the adventurers guild, which is on the east end of town.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah, having had realized that perhaps an inn would be a better place to begin his stay here than a library, decides to put his magical talents to good use to find such a place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a public street lacking any who are obviously adventurers or other persons of importance, I spontaneously cast Detect Thoughts via Spontaneous Domains. Will study for the full duration, listening particularly for information on the town itself or inns within it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shazek View Post
    Jorah, having had realized that perhaps an inn would be a better place to begin his stay here than a library, decides to put his magical talents to good use to find such a place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In a public street lacking any who are obviously adventurers or other persons of importance, I spontaneously cast Detect Thoughts via Spontaneous Domains. Will study for the full duration, listening particularly for information on the town itself or inns within it.
    Well, let's see then.

Spoiler
    Show
    You find that the head sergeant of the guards is hiding among the crowd, trying to find someone, but the who was unclear.

You note a cleric trying and failing to sell some potions of some kind.

Some guy is trying to sneak off to his mistress.

A bard was running through, trying to reach an inn at the south end of town before his employer gets too angry.

A ranger comes along, tracking her two-timing husband.

It would seem the king of this land is dying, and there will soon be a crowning ceremony at the capital, Brunsshire, 20 miles to the north.

28. - Top - End - #28

Zrekha feels no fear or apprehension as the small man leads her into an alley, simply keeping her stride and a close eye on him. There were stranger people she had met in her time with the merchant enclave; like that one man who purchased a magical girdle in whispers, or that curious halfling who had wanted to buy one of her tusks... She shakes her head clear of remembering; she would get too distracted.

The half-orc's eyes look over the narrow alley they were in. This was good; little room to maneuvere for all of those sneak-thiefs, thinking that the alleys would give them safety. Not even climbing could get them away from her, as she scaled the buildings after them, her blade in hand... She lets out a short growl at herself, coming to a stop in the alley. The man turns to her, offering...a compliment?

"I did." Zrekha speaks, as she retrieves a piece of chalk from the mundane pack on the other side of her armor. "Now what?" She asks, her voice demanding, but not distinctly agressive.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah, realizing that none of those in the area save the bard are thinking of an inn of any sort, decides to attempt to follow him to the inn. However, he does make note of the captain of the guard as an unusual occurrence, one which ought to be investigated further at a later time. And, of course, this business of a dying monarch is worthy of thought....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Making Knowledge: Nobility and Knowledge: Local checks about the king. Rolls are 14 and 13, respectively. Should I prove to be unable to follow the bard while thinking on this (and I can make a Concentration check to do so if need be) I will prioritize following the bard.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    He says "That sounds like a fine tale. Come, I shall have someone prepare a place for you."
    Kel lifts himself up and pets Silvan on the head comforts his companion, I will be back and Silvan curls up and falls asleep. Kel strides over to Halaza and the Clergy and introduces himself to the pair, Hello, would you mind adding a pair of ears to that tale. I am Kel Sarath, a wandering druid, and your tales sounds a delightful way to spend the evening.
    Last edited by Silva Stormrage; 2012-02-22 at 09:43 PM.
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.