New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Explorers of Acacia - Main thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shazek View Post
    Jorah, realizing that none of those in the area save the bard are thinking of an inn of any sort, decides to attempt to follow him to the inn. However, he does make note of the captain of the guard as an unusual occurrence, one which ought to be investigated further at a later time. And, of course, this business of a dying monarch is worthy of thought....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Making Knowledge: Nobility and Knowledge: Local checks about the king. Rolls are 14 and 13, respectively. Should I prove to be unable to follow the bard while thinking on this (and I can make a Concentration check to do so if need be) I will prioritize following the bard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No Concentration check will be needed. There is no Local knowledge about the topic here, given the events are in Brunsshire. However, in terms of Nobility, you know that the king, Yeril, has ruled this land for 48 years after his father passed away. Yeril has been of declining health for quite some time now, but rumor has it that he will die in the next few weeks, whereupon his son, Imis, will take the throne.

And the bard does reach the inn after about 10 minutes of frantic wandering, involving no less then 3 wrong turns into dead ends. Luckily, he did not notice you. You stand outside the inn at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    After steadying himself from the dizzyness he inflicted upon himself, he started looking around. I suppose I should get started by finding the nearest gathering place. Bet there's a bar of some kind where I could ask a few questions.
    Finding such a place took but moments, as you enter through the south gate, you spot a bar right across from an inn. As you watch, a bard runs into the inn, followed by someone who appears to be kind of important (Jorah Derias).
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-02-22 at 10:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah enters the inn a short time after the bard does, intending not to seem suspicious. He intends to approach the proprietor, hoping to purchase a room for the duration of his stay in town, but hesitates momentarily, and glances about the room for the bard, and any other happenings of interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: 12
    Listen Check:15

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Wow, both a watering hole and a proper bed! Looks like my luck's pretty good right now!" Tarmikos smile eclipsed most of his face, before disappearing under a look of concern.

"Which way should I go... the inn seems pretty busy... but the sooner I get information, the sooner I can keep going... I have to stay vigilant....

A discomfort accompanied by a rumbling immediately bring Tarmikos' decision to a close. "I'll probably be able to get something to eat and drink quicker at a tavern than at a lodge. And with that, his grin returned as he marched into the bar.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The half-orc seems to be quite demanding. It would seem that, like Lyral, she is used to a position of authority, or at least autonomy. While a direct approach would be more likely to succeed, he would still have to tread carefully. The alternative, of course, would be to lose her or kill her, preferably quietly.
    "Will you join me on a hunt?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Thank you, I am most grateful for your hospitality.
    Halaza gives the stranger an inspection on his approach and uses her abilities to sense his motives as best she can whilst attempting to maintain a friendly and welcoming facial expression.

Kel Sarath? Halaza of the Copper Hearts, pleased to meet you...

She quickly fumbles through he pocket as she is lead past the donation plate into the living quarters of the church.
    As she walks past she loudly drops a golden ring, still slightly covered in blood, onto the plate and mutters something.

It is not up to me who is given sanctuary here druid, but if the church allows I would happily share my stores.
    Last edited by Psymple; 2012-02-23 at 02:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    "Wow, both a watering hole and a proper bed! Looks like my luck's pretty good right now!" Tarmikos smile eclipsed most of his face, before disappearing under a look of concern.

"Which way should I go... the inn seems pretty busy... but the sooner I get information, the sooner I can keep going... I have to stay vigilant....

A discomfort accompanied by a rumbling immediately bring Tarmikos' decision to a close. "I'll probably be able to get something to eat and drink quicker at a tavern than at a lodge. And with that, his grin returned as he marched into the bar.
    The bar is packed. It seems someone is celebrating something, but the what is unclear. Luckily, the celebration is on one side of the bar, leaving the other side clear for you to get to the bartender. Also on this other side, one of the tables has a dwarf, staring into his half-empty glass, and a elf, staring at the celebration with disdain.

Jorah enters the inn a short time after the bard does, intending not to seem suspicious. He intends to approach the proprietor, hoping to purchase a room for the duration of his stay in town, but hesitates momentarily, and glances about the room for the bard, and any other happenings of interest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: 12
    Listen Check:15
    The place seems rather empty, except for the bard and his employer (who looks to be a wizard of some kind), who is currently yelling every word for idiot you know, and several you don't. There is also the innkeeper, standing behind a counter.

Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a faint whispering on the floor above you, but you can't make out what they are saying over the bard's employer.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

This man kept speaking in riddles! Maddening to the half-orc, she pushes her chalk against the wall beside her, the tip of it crumbling slightly. "Hunt what?" She asks again, the chalk in her hand making marks against the wall. "Talk clearly this time." She shoves the chalk back into her pack when she is done scrawling an Orcish curse on the wall. She really wanted this man to speak his intentions so she wouldn't be wasting time if he had nothing to offer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

This warrior seemed to be thicker than Lyral. Either she was playing up her stupidity, or she simply did not understand his request. Either way, she could be a valuable asset later.
    "I hunt the most dangerous game, wherever it can be found. You understand, don't you?"
    He seems rather uncomfortable with this much talking, so he withdraws, stealing glances up and down the street, ever wary of approaching figures.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    Your search pays off. There is a wondrous item shop having a sale at the moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any wondrous item with normal price of 4000 gp or less is available at this store, with a 5% discount.

As it happens, someone did tell you where to find the adventurers guild, which is on the east end of town.
    Lia

I'm glad to have found the sale in Vibius's Item Emporium, but I'm disheartened to find that the more interesting items remain out of my price bracket. I turn an ornate set of gauntlets of ogre power over in my hands, considering the level of discount I'd need to afford them. When the storekeeper who I assume to be Vibius comes over to ask if I need assistance I half think about attempting to haggle, but even if I could get a price I could afford, I still don't know what fees the adventurer's guild would ask for. I sadly decline the shopkeeper's assistance and put the gauntlets back on their pedestal.

With most of the afternoon gone, I determine it to be time to seek out the Adventurer's Guild in the east of the city.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    With most of the afternoon gone, I determine it to be time to seek out the Adventurer's Guild in the east of the city.
    After a short walk, you reach the Adventurer's guild. You currently stand outside of the building.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Lia

I stand in the entranceway of the imposing building, and take a moment to tie back my hair into a more businesslike position, and adjust my veil to present an air of maximum mystique. That done, I enter to enquire of the benefits of membership, fees, and any outstanding quests.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Jorah dismisses the bard and his employer as irrelevant now, and approaches the innkeeper. "How much might room and board cost me nightly? I am uncertain how long I will be in the city, and need a place to stay."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psymple View Post
    Thank you, I am most grateful for your hospitality.
    Halaza gives the stranger an inspection on his approach and uses her abilities to sense his motives as best she can whilst attempting to maintain a friendly and welcoming facial expression.

Kel Sarath? Halaza of the Copper Hearts, pleased to meet you...

She quickly fumbles through he pocket as she is lead past the donation plate into the living quarters of the church.
    As she walks past she loudly drops a golden ring, still slightly covered in blood, onto the plate and mutters something.

It is not up to me who is given sanctuary here druid, but if the church allows I would happily share my stores.
    Ah, I have actually been staying here for the past two days Kel motions over to a large wolf curled up in a corner of the church. I do not enjoy staying at inns, too much unwanted noise and distractions. But either way I haven't had much to do in this town recently and am frankly somewhat bored. So yes, tell your tails of valor! I am sure a paladin such as yourself has plenty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Halaza notices the man motion to the Huge wolf curled up in the corner of the church...

Is he friendly?

She says more out of politeness than as a question.
    As she moves towards the animal to pet it and admire.

Hes a biggy, how long you two been travelling together? An animal companion can stop you going crazy out on the road, I feel so alone without Jesskya...
    Couldnt get her through the city gates, damn idiot guards wouldnt let me bring her in. How did you get this cutie into the city anyway?
    Last edited by Psymple; 2012-02-23 at 06:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Lia

I stand in the entranceway of the imposing building, and take a moment to tie back my hair into a more businesslike position, and adjust my veil to present an air of maximum mystique. That done, I enter to enquire of the benefits of membership, fees, and any outstanding quests.
    As you enter, you see that the main room is mostly empty, except for a small group taking in the corner, and someone official looking. The latter individual calls you over.

Jorah dismisses the bard and his employer as irrelevant now, and approaches the innkeeper. "How much might room and board cost me nightly? I am uncertain how long I will be in the city, and need a place to stay."
    "Per night is 5 silver. We've rooms now if you need one."

16. - Top - End - #46

Zrekha nods from where she stands, keeping her eyes on the man and standing tall as she finally understands what he means. "I can. Who?" Killing people was no problem for her, provided it would in some way help her situation. No reason to waste energy on people with no glory!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lyral smiles: the half-orc seems to be agreeable, for the time being.
    "Do you know of any places where challenging quarry might gather? A guild, or at least an inn would do the trick."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

As you enter, you see that the main room is mostly empty, except for a small group taking in the corner, and someone official looking. The latter individual calls you over.
    I walk over to the official and introduce myself.

"Hello. I'm Arlia Fithispar, and I would like to join. After that, I'll need a room for the night, and I'd also like to enquire about any outstanding quests. My particular talents lie in blade and stealth, but I dabbled in quite a few other areas as well."

What is it about cold opens that always leaves me feeling faintly ridiculous? I await the response.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2012-02-24 at 03:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Zrekha thinks for but a moment before speaking again. "No. I haven't been here long." She says, puffing her chest in pride as she places a hand on the wall. "I know where we can find one easily."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I walk over to the official and introduce myself.

"Hello. I'm Arlia Fithispar, and I would like to join. After that, I'll need a room for the night, and I'd also like to enquire about any outstanding quests. My particular talents lie in blade and stealth, but I dabbled in quite a few other areas as well."

What is it about cold opens that always leaves me feeling faintly ridiculous? I await the response.
    "Ah, welcome Miss Fithispar. To join, I'll just need you to fill out this paperwork." He hands you a simple application form. "You may wish to be aware that we don't have mush in the way of quests for someone of your apparent skill at the moment, unless I am really overestimating you. As for lodging, there are 2 inns in town, the closer of the 2 is south of here."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Lead on, then." Lyral smiles. He has been looking for something beyond just the monotony of hunting elves. Perhaps he will find the adventure of a lifetime.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #52

Zrekha offers Lyral one of her armored hands.

If he takes it:
    She clasps her hand around Lyral's wrist tightly, placing her other one against the wall and lifting herself up with a heave of her feet, sticking to the wall like an armored spider. Zrekha climbs up the side of the building with Lyral tightly clasped to her arm, smirking proudly at being able to show off. She climbs until she gets to the rooftop.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Following Zrekha's lead, Lyral holds on tightly. He enjoys the close proximity that her grasp allows, drinking in the aura of her effort. He notes the smirk, filing the apparent pride away for future use. Finally, the two finish the climb. Brushing himself off briskly (but not without a measure of regret), Lyral moves to stand apart from the half-orc. Looking over the Cleveport skyline, he cannot help by be amazed by the persistence of civilization.
    "Beautiful, isn't it?"
    He stands at ease, his muscles assuming the fluidity of quicksilver, readying himself for the journey across the city.
    "Where to?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, welcome Miss Fithispar. To join, I'll just need you to fill out this paperwork." He hands you a simple application form. "You may wish to be aware that we don't have mush in the way of quests for someone of your apparent skill at the moment, unless I am really overestimating you. As for lodging, there are 2 inns in town, the closer of the 2 is south of here."
    Lia

I take the application form from the man and begin to fill it in using a pen drawn from one of my pouches. Like most of my movements, the script is precise and flowing.

"What are the benefits of membership, and how much is the fee?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

As Algrith and Imaran, a smell brought out Algrith out of his reading.

What in the high realms is that? It was a sweet smell with a bit of charring combined with the roasting of some kind of meat.
    That, my friend, is where we will find food! he exclaimed as he put his book away.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Lia

I take the application form from the man and begin to fill it in using a pen drawn from one of my pouches. Like most of my movements, the script is precise and flowing.

"What are the benefits of membership, and how much is the fee?"
    "The major benefits are three-fold. First, any big requests requiring adventurer assistance go through here, making it easier for our members to find work. In addition, some services of use to you are available for an minor fee. Last, but not least, is the fact that we have a deal with the merchants guild, good for a 3% off anything being sold by any guild merchant.

As to the fee, I doubt an adventurer of your skill would even miss the 5 silver monthly fee."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tarmikos immediately walks through the bar to the counter, and attempts to speak to the bartender. "Hello, friend! It seems your business is doing rather well, I take it. Any chance you can serve me as well?" he chats, while looking through the bar.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psymple View Post
    Halaza notices the man motion to the Huge wolf curled up in the corner of the church...

Is he friendly?

She says more out of politeness than as a question.
    As she moves towards the animal to pet it and admire.

Hes a biggy, how long you two been travelling together? An animal companion can stop you going crazy out on the road, I feel so alone without Jesskya...
    Couldnt get her through the city gates, damn idiot guards wouldnt let me bring her in. How did you get this cutie into the city anyway?
    Oh yes of course he is. We have been traveling for quite some time about 4 years if my poor memory is correct, mostly just wandering between towns trying to help out either the town or the wildlife.

Yes I had similar difficulties with the guards, they just seemed focused on the fact that Silvan is over 800 pounds and wouldn't let him in. I left, used my druidic magic to shrink Silvan to the size of a normal dog and convinced them that I was blind and he was my seeing eye dog. Normally I don't trick guards like that but I felt it was necessary. I have long since dismissed the spell, Silvan hates the effect.

And you have a companion as well? Is he a horse? It seems definitely odd that they wouldn't let him into the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Halaza giggles and continues to play with the massive wolf.
    Nodding listening to the druids tale.
    She laughs quite loudly at his method of bringing him into the city and particularly picks up on his regret at having to lie to city guards.

No not a horse...
    Jesskya is special, and I am particularly fortunate that I am able to travel with her. She's a Unicorn... And I am fortunate enough for her to have chosen me as her companion as much as I have chosen her as mine.

Halaza suddenly realises just how heavy the animals head is in her arms and that it must be rather tired. She leans in and kisses it on the head and then stands back up.

Shall we find some comfy seats by a fire somewhere and exchange those tales then? I think your "seeing eye dog" could use a rest.

Halaza winks to the druid and motions to a door.

There must be a fire somewhere in this church.
    Last edited by Psymple; 2012-02-24 at 06:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Zrekha approaches the edge of the rooftop, looking down at the scuttling people of the city below her. It was quite grand...giving her the feeling of being above all of them. She gestures widely across the skyline. "You said you hunt. Use your eyes."