New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] NO XIII: Do Clockwork Penguins Dream of Mechanical Fish?

[Main Room]

Dipsnig puts the saddle on Kullervo, mounts up and leaves, leading the way to the Black Dragon's Den.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

A certain redheaded psion pokes his head into the base, snow dusting his hair. He doesn't seem all that chilly, though, not like he used to.

"Um. Hello? Anybody home?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    The Hall

"In a way. They are about attempts at the perfect society... and all the problems that causes. There is no such thing as perfect societies. This is because societies are made of people, and people are not perfect."

Okay, that actually comes off as a deep insight.

"In fact, people are all insane. It's what makes them people."

...Presumably there is some logic behind that. He's a robot. He has to be logical and stuff, right?
    Of course people aren't perfect. Of course they're insane.
    Has anyone taken the time to figure out exactly how much chaos and madness pervades, warps, and destroys their lives?

Who could expect them to be properly funtickctional after all of that?

No, it must be treated as a disease, a necrosis of society.
    Just like dying flesh, it must be cut away as much as possible, before it consumes every last little piece.

Karaglen herself can'ttock orchestrate the perfect society, she knows. That isn't her place.
    But she can begin work that someone else may, acting as the scalpel to this land's diseased skin.

Not everything can be saved, already tainted, but that is a price to pay.
    As an evil villain may perform goodly acts to get where he needs, so too must the hero perform distasteful acts to reach his end.
    "The world would be a better place, without the madness.
    Right?"
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Ordo is in the main room, he may come across a half-elf shaking off some deadtime and writing something down for Dipsnig. Ashley glances at the psion and nods her head at him. She then gets back to writing.

5. - Top - End - #305

Indeed. The door Ordo was poking his head through would happen to be the front one. He enters and approaches Ashley.

The psion's looking well. Very well, for someone who can't sleep. He's still cursed with a perpetually exhausted look on his face, and some very scruffy hair, but the man's quite fit.

"Heeey..." Ordo says a little irritably, looking around. He's not angry with her, just in a generally sour mood. "So... Uh. Hi. Have you seen Dipsnig around?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-05-15 at 11:33 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

6. - Top - End - #306

[Main Room]

Ashley doesn't really look at Ordo too much as she talks. "You missed him. He left... I think an hour ago, with a drow. Think his name's Kirk?" She obviously doesn't keep up much on who the other members are. "I can write a message for him on here, if you need."
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-15 at 11:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307

((That's odd. I posted here, but I think the forums ate it somehow. ))

"Kirk. I think I remember that guy," Ordo says, digging through his rather foggy memories. Oh well. No need to fret about some elf. "Anyway, no thanks. I work here. I can wait." His mood improves, ever so slightly, when Ordo recalls the well-stocked NO fridge. He walks off, aiming to grab a regular old Mountain Dew and relax after that long-ass climb up the mountain.

When he returns, his attention is inevitably drawn to Ashley. The TVs never got great reception up here, and the main part of the base seems to be empty but for a feverishly writing half-elf. "So how long've you been here?" He asks, hoping he's not intruding terribly. If there's one thing Ordo can understand, it's wanting some peace and quiet.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Hall

"No. Without the everyday madness, there is no point in life. Real or imagined. Each person's madness is what makes them who they are; this person has below average empathy, that one above average. In the end, they are both deviations from the norm. Therefore, it can be argued that they are both insane. Each person has their own set of madness. It's commonly called a personality. Take away all the madness and what do you have?" CB turns around, facing away from Karaglen
    "Flesh. Nothing more. A heart that beats, lungs that breathe, and nothing else. People without madness aren't people; they are not even automatons. Programming is just madness put into a computer. When you take away insanity in its entirety, you take away every thing that matters. Take away introspection. Take away existentialism. Take away the sense of self... for at the root of each of these, there is madness."
    "A world without madness is one thing and one thing only: A collection of quarks and electrons interacting with each other until enough positrons are produced to annihilate all the electrons, at which point nothing more happens."
    "Because, at its core, intelligence is madness."

CB begins to roll away.
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2012-05-16 at 08:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Hall]

Karaglen wrinkles her nose slightly as she considers this little speech.
    Not a long consideration, as she considers it largely too intensive for the purpose she requires.
    "Don't need everyone to be the same...just need them to stop hurting each other."

Her desired perfection does not require homogenization.
    It also doesn't require such deep thoughts.
    A scalpel is not possessed of the doctor's brains.

The girl does nothing to stop CB's departure, but lingers in her doorway, staring up at the ceiling with a more-than-slightly malicious anger.

Stupid complicated world. Wrongs always rise over the rights.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2012-05-16 at 10:16 AM.
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #310

[Main Room]

Ashley will have finished writing by the time Ordo comes back from the kitchen. She considers the question for a few seconds. "If you're talking here right now, I've been here for a couple hours," she says, folding the paper and placing her pen back in her really small bag.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-05-16 at 03:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Front Door

"They also have the coldest location in the Nexus." Harnel says with a shiver as he and presumably Cessie arrive.

He'll go ahead and knock on the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

Front Door

Harnel might have noted that the snow is melting around Cessie as she walks. "Don't worry, I can just summon eldritch heat. This climate only reminds me of my my hometown Hestopia, it's pretty cold there as well. Where did you say you were from again?" She asks Harnel as I suppose the start knocking on the door.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Door]

A drow woman in a short blue dress and high-laced gold sandals approaches NO. Flanking her were a pair of drow soldiers in shining armor and gold and blue tabbards emblazoned with the sigil of House Xar'Cha.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Front Door-Drow

After the Drow knock, a minute or two will pass and then a five-foot-tall blue column with five arms and three red eyes. And one big black eye. And one arm ends in a needle, and another in a blade...

He's a creepy robot.

"Welcome to NO. How may I help you?"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Door - Drow]

The drowess is surprised by the, apparently lethal, robot. If she in intimidated, however, she does not show it. The guards at her side, though, cautiously move to ready their weapons, just in case.

"I am Bae'kiira of House Xabaresh Chaeron and I wish to speak to someone in charge."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

Front Door - Drow

"I might be able to help. Dipsnig is busy, but I can do some things. Would you like any information?"

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Door - Drow]

"I do not require information. I simply need to speak with someone with authority." Bae'kiira insists. "Can you fetch such a person for me, golem?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

Front Door - Drow

..."I am a robot. What kind of help do you need? And I am a lieutenant in this organization."

CB hopes that after a bit they will stop treating him like a low AI.

19. - Top - End - #319

[Main Room --> Front Door] For Harnel and Cessie.

"Nah, I mean, like, working here," Ordo says, plopping down next to Ashley and propping his feet up on the coffee table. He takes a sip of his soda, still watching the half-elf. A hand is offered. "I'm Ordo, by the way."

There is a knock at the door, before or right after their handshake. "Uh, hold that thought." Ordo stands and walks over - with no particular haste, mind you - and opens the door.

Harnel and Cessie - folks from an alternate universe, if I'm not mistaken - will be greeted by a handsome man of average height, with bright red hair and pale, sun-deprived skin. He's dressed in a close-fitting black sweater and a dark pair of jeans. "Yeah?"
    Last edited by Murkus; 2012-05-16 at 10:16 PM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well..." This was an odd situation, but she had a task to complete. "A member of House Xabaresh Chaeron, one Ilpholin Xar'Cha, declared today in the Council that she is seeking to be the sole ruler of this city. This is a position that we of House Xabaresh Chaeron do not support. We ask that you and your organization do not allow her actions to color your opinions of and interactions with the rest of the House."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

21. - Top - End - #321

[Main Room]

"Oh, sorry. Not too long, I'm one of the newer members. Name's Ashley," She says while shaking Ordo's hand. She was going to ask about the soda, namely what it was, but she's interrupted by the knock on the door. Ashley gets up, but doesn't make any particular effort to greet Cessie or Harnel. Ordo seems to be handling that just fine.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

Front Door - Drow

"I see. Would you like to leave a note? I can retrieve a piece of paper and a pen if you would like to leave a note to that effect for Dipsnig."

In fact, there are some right over there. He can look back through the memory of when he was crossing the room and pick out the objects needed.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Door - Drow]

"Can you not tell him yourself?" Bae'Kiira asks, growing annoyed. What good was a construct if it couldn't remember things? "Fine. I will leave a note. Fetch me the parchment." She decides, throwing her hands up in frustration.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

24. - Top - End - #324
    Dwarf in the Playground

Front Door - Drow

"Oh, I can tell him myself. I can even do so in your exact words. It's just that in my experience people have much preferred writing notes over entrusting me with that kind of information. I'm not sure why. If you are content with send a message through me, I will see to it that Dipsnig gets it as soon as possible."

Blast it all, this Nexus place keeps messing with all his expectations. This whole world is so annoying...

hmm.

CB-484 takes a moment to use his medical scanner on the Drow. This should give him an idea of Drow anatomy... so that this wasn't a complete waste of time. There is no outward evidence that the scanner is being used.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Front Door Dragons

"I'm from Ascaerin. Not the most dragon-friendly place to visit." Harnel explains to Cessie.

And there was door opening! "Hello. We came for a visit."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

26. - Top - End - #326

Front Door Dragons

"Neither is my homeworld honestly. My kin was nearly wiped out at one point." The mage replies just before the door opens.

"Yes, I'm..." Cessie pauses, realizing they might confuse her with the alternative version with the same name. This was going to be difficult. "I'm a planar traveler just arriving here. Would you mind showing us around a bit? This world intrigues me."

27. - Top - End - #327

Front Door - Dragons

"Um... okay," Ordo crosses his arms and looks between the two. They just wanna look around? "Five gold." What did they think this was, GLoG?

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[Main Room]

Karaglen has followed CB, but at a healthy distance.
    Technically she had just been planning to leave for a bit (Morry had food and water in the room!), but then the robot stopped at the front door to talk to a drow.

Sort of blocked the way out.

But that's not really why she's paused at the opposite end of the room, relegating herself to a less-noticible corner.

Drow have a reputation, one that clashes rather strongly with what she is aiming to solve. Not all of them are bad, of course...but it is still quite worthwhile to make sure these aren't problems.
    Absentee Spirit

29. - Top - End - #329

Front Door - Dragons

"Of course." Cessie says, quickly paying before Harnel offers it. From what she had seen he didn't really have much in that respect.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Front Door - Dragons

"I'll give you six if you drop the surly attitude." Harnel says, pulling money out, but holding onto it. A little politeness wouldn't hurt Ordo.

Or that's what he would have done if Cessie didn't ninja him. He chooses to stay quiet instead.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-05-17 at 05:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast