New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 43

[Vacant Lot]

"Oh, that's just rich. I insulted you? How about you lashing out at me because I was asking you to not be so formal? But oh, don't consider what might insult me, I'm just a common plebian!" Hildur stands up and brushes at the dust on her snow pants. "Can't believe I wanted to help you," she mutters.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

Vacant Lot

She's being awfully harsh to a scared boy far from home who thought he was being sexually assaulted.

He puts his arms around Mori and says nothing. Maybe the hateful woman will go away. Even if she doesn't, he owes her no obedience, after the way she had spoken to him.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

3. - Top - End - #1173

Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Morningside

Missy nods and sniffles. "At least this time I told them goodbye. I don't guess I'll ever see them again."
    Morningside

Magtok is about to reassure Missy that she's sure to see them again eventually, and on better terms, before he thinks better of it. Who could possibly be nutty enough to want that, anyway? Those nutbars are absolutely crazy. Peaceful, harmless, non-violent, and crazy.

"Maybe not. Are we headed off to bury the heart now, or...?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

4. - Top - End - #1174

[Vacant Lot]

Hildur does indeed take a step away, but stops and sighs a little, considering some old advice her father gave her once. "I'm sorry I yelled at you. I should've considered that you were from a different culture, and acted my age." That's... quite the jump in attitude. She puts her goggles over her eyes and crosses her arms while walking away.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-04-06 at 07:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Troll in the Playground

Morningside

Missy shows him the photo. "His name is Halifax Flores." she says. "Is it wrong for me to want to see him?"

Vacant Lot

Cole doesn't try to stop her. Even if he wanted her to stay, it would be rude of him to try.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-04-07 at 03:03 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

6. - Top - End - #1176

[Inside Streets]

Hildur will be wandering the streets for awhile, mentally beating herself up. Anyone can encounter her if they wish.

7. - Top - End - #1177

Anyone?

Anyone can encounter her?

Is that really wise?

Okay then...

As Hildur walks along she might notice a child limping off down a dark side-street. There doesn't seem to be anyone else around.

MEANWHILE!

His heroic task done Fredrick steps out of Trog's and begins to explore! The young man is rather unassuming looking, wearing the garments of an acolyte. A Priest in training. The robes are, of course, not nearly as bad-ass as a Templar's. But they're certainly still pretty nifty!

He hangs onto his backpack straps as he tromps through the streets muddied by spring rain.

Might he run across the poor traumatized Cole?

Stay tuned to find out!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #1178

[Inside Streets]

Anyone as long as it's peaceful, I suppose I should've said.

Hildur doesn't notice the child. She's too busy looking down at the ground and muttering to herself.

9. - Top - End - #1179

Morningside

Magtok shakes his head. "Not at all, no."

It might be awkward, of course, especially given what Missy's family may or may not have told the adoptive parents about what Missy is like. Or what they might be on the phone to tell those adoptive parents now, if they have any contact with that family at all.

What does Florez look like, anyway?
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

10. - Top - End - #1180

[Inside Streets]

The child is missed and limps away into the darkness.

Probably to die of infection while being chewed on by rats. All because a PC was too busy being a grump!

That poor, poor child...

Just so sad.

And alone.

Cold.

Hungry.

In pain. Afraid...

11. - Top - End - #1181

[Inside Streets]

Eventually, though, Hildur does decide to look up and just baaarely catches the child moving into the alley. She sighs and moves her goggles back off of her eyes. She'd already messed up helping someone once, what was the worst that could happen.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-04-06 at 09:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Troll in the Playground

Morningside

Halifax Flores. His adoptive parents named him for his birth mother. He's stocky with dark skin and tightly coiled dark hair worn long and unbraided. And the picture is as stupid looking and artificially posed as every school portrait ever.

Missy pings Magtok the address - another home in Morningside. "Alright then," she says.

Insert walking montage here.

They reach another street, looking very like the one where Missy's parents live, only with slightly bigger houses and more children running around. There's a church on one corner and a playground on the other.

Missy stops to examine the children, and sees him, on one of the swings, kicking his legs to go higher. "I want to sit and watch," Missy says. There's a convenient park bench in the shade.

Vacant Lot

If Frederick turns off of the street where it just rained and onto the one where it hasn't rained in over a week, he might find Cole, sitting in the vacant lot and hugging his dog.
    Last edited by happyturtle; 2012-04-07 at 03:04 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #1183

[Inside Streets]

...don't ever ask what's the worst that could happen in the Nexus.

Just...

Just don't do it.

Okay?

Anyway... As Hulda heads into the side-street she might notice that the color seems to be fading from everything. Fading until all that's left is shades of gray.

And one stark-white little boy huddle up next to a trash can. And he's crying. Crying because no one came for him. Because no one will protect him.

Nearby is the skeleton of a child, bones picked clean. It looks like most of the chest had been torn apart considering all the scattered, broken ribs.

[Vacant Lot]

Weather is really weird in the Nexus.

Is it early evening right now? Night? Morning? Noon?

If one removes one's perceptional filters it might be all of them at the same time. Fredrick, thankfully, hasn't learned to do that yet.

Which leaves him puzzled over why the ground is dry all of a sudden...

Then he finds a dog! And a boy hugging a dog!

He moves a little closer before calling out tentatively, "Hello?"

You never know when someone might actually be a three-headed slug monster from Mars just disguised as a traumatized kid who fled from Trog's a few minutes ago.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-04-06 at 09:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1184

[Inside Streets]

Hildur does get more disheartened when the color fades away, but presses on. She frowns a little when seeing the child, and she has to cover her mouth upon seeing the skeleton.

But she wants to help somehow, so she goes and kneels in front of the child. She tries to figure out what to say next, before settling on, "Hey, why are you crying?"

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

Vacant Lot

"How do you do?" Cole says, wondering if this person is going to be scary or rude or strange or just wrong at him.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #1186

[Inside Streets]

As Hildur kneels down next to the child he suddenly jerks around toward her, his face torn and skeletal, maggots eating at his eyes! The woman will likely feel a gut-wrenching fear grip her at the sight!

Just as quickly the boy crawls away, hiding behind a dumpster.

"Go away! No one wants to help me! No one loves me..."

And then more sobbing.

Bitter, frightened sobbing.

The terror should begin to fade quickly, though the feeling that something is terribly wrong will no doubt remain. Just something... unearthly about ghosts. Some instinctual reaction that classifies them as dangerous thing to be feared.

[Vacant Lot]

Guess we'll find out, huh?

Fredrick has lived the vast majority of his life as a peasant. So there's a decent chance he won't grasp some of the finer points of courtly etiquette. Especially etiquette from a culture where gender roles are swapped. But let's see how he does!

The acolyte pulls back his loose fitting brown hood before motioning at the grass with one hand. "Do you mind if I sit down?"

17. - Top - End - #1187

[Inside Streets]

Hildur's eyes widen and she leans back a little. As the boy crawls away, she's practically frozen. But as the fear begins to subside, she shakes it off. If she could snowboard down a mountain and jump over a crevasse, she could help this child.

So, she moves over next to the dumpster, and says, "I want to help you. Will you let me help you?"

18. - Top - End - #1188

[Inside Streets]

The persistence seems to pay off!

The ghostly child doesn't flee this time when approached. And his face looks... less horrific. Just gaunt and pale as opposed to rotting. He sniffs and uses his sleeve to wipe the snot and tears from his face.

"R-really? You really want to help me?" he asks.

His voice is...

Hopeful.

Though guarded with caution and uncertainty.

Why would anyone want to help him?

19. - Top - End - #1189

[Inside Streets]

"Yes, of course I want to help." Hildur manages a soft smile despite her uneasiness. She wasn't entirely sure how to help a dead kid, but she wasn't about to quit.

With a tiny bit of hesitancy, she holds out a gloved hand towards the boy. "Why don't you come out from behind there?"
    Last edited by Devixer; 2012-04-06 at 10:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Morningside

"Sure."

Magtok stifles the urge to ask if she intends to do any more than just watch. Maybe locate the boy's parents, awkwardly ask about him, confront the child directly, or any number of other things. If it were Magtok in the same position, there'd have to be a plan for each and every one of those circumstances, or at least some degree of mental preparation for them, even if it was nothing more than picking out a favorite choice and then guiding events in that general dire-

Magtok suddenly panics. Crap, no. Things have been safe for so long, that means this is exactly when something terrible should happen. A random encounter, a hungry hell-beast, some terrible rampaging zoo escapee that forces Missy to confront her child and try to save him from the danger and such through violent action. While Missy might be content to sit down, Magtok's acute drama senses are already on high alert, so he remains standing, looking just about every which way for the source of the deadly threat that is almost certainly on its way.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #1191

[Inside Streets]

If Hildur is watching carefully she might have noticed that a small amount of color has seeped back into the surroundings.

The boy slowly creeps back out from behind the dumpster, looking up at her uncertainly. He pulls back the white nightgown he's wearing to reveal a rather nasty looking infected gash in his leg.

...there's also a growing bloodstain on his chest.

But he doesn't seem to notice it.

"I was sneaking around after I was supposed to be in bed," the boy explains. "And a monster tried to eat me! I ran as fast as I could but it hurt my leg and I'm lost and hungry and I don't know how to get home and-" he starts to choke on the tears as they well up in his eyes.

Should Hildur look closely at the wound she might notice a translucent chain leading from the wound in his leg to the skeleton nearby. Though it's quite faint and would be easy to miss.

[Morningside]

A totally normal, mundane, harmless pigeon lands on the swingset. The bird ruffles its feathers in completely innocuous fashion and begins scanning the playground for any fallen breadcrumbs.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-04-06 at 10:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1192

[Inside Streets]

Hildur does notice the small change in color - specifically, she sees the change in her glove. "Hey, it'll be okay. Do you know where you live? I'm sure we can find it if we work together." Though she starts to feel sad about what probably really happened, she's struck with a bit of an idea.

She sees the chain, but doesn't follow it to the skeleton.

23. - Top - End - #1193

[Inside Streets]

There's no telling what really happened. Aside from the likelihood that the poor kid was killed violently. The 'monster' could have been an actual monster or just a particularly evil human. It's hard to tell with children. Especially children that are also ghosts.

"I live on Westing Street," the boy replies after rubbing some more tears from his eyes. "In the big green house with the smiling purple cat painted at the top."

That sounds like a pretty nifty house.

"But... I don't know how to get back there..."

Aaww...

Maybe someone else knows the way? Quickly! To Google Maps!

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Morningside

Missy sits and watches Hal. Magtok watches the surroundings, failing to spot any ravenous hell beasts.

The boy swings, leaning all the way back at the top of the arc to hang upside down. Missy hugs herself and watches.

And nothing happens.

Morningside really does seem rather out of place in the midst of the Nexus. Maybe whatever power makes it so ordinary allowed a non-violent religion to prosper. Or maybe the religion did something to make their surroundings so ordinary. It's hard to say.

"Thanks for coming with me, Magtok," Missy says, not taking her eyes off the boy for a minute.

Vacant Lot

More overgrown weeds than grass, but that's unlikely to scare off Frederick.

"Be careful. There's broken glass," Cole says.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

25. - Top - End - #1195

[Inside Streets]

Hildur thinks for a few seconds. "Well, maybe you remember how you got here? If we retrace your steps, maybe we can get back to familiar ground."

26. - Top - End - #1196

[Vacant Lot]

"Thank you."

Fredrick is pretty use to overgrown weeds. Plush lawns weren't exactly something peasant villages were known for. Overgrown weeds were, however, what he was accustomed to.

He settles down on the ground, arranging the back of his brown cassock so that it acts as something of a little cushion.

"I think I saw you in that dingy tavern. Right as that... that thing made of hair attacked..." the young man shakes his head with a sign. "This place is mad. So many things seem... wrong. I doubt I'll ever get used to it."

The young man looks... tired. He had been running on nothing but adrenaline for the better part of that fight and now he's crashing. Fredrick begins rubbing his prayer beads without thinking about it.

"You must be new here too? Many of the people I've met who live here seem willing to stand and fight against whatever horrors this crazy land throws at them..."

[Inside Streets]

The boy just shakes his head.

"I don't remember. I tried, but I can't remember..."

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

Vacant Lot

Cole nods. "I had heard tales of the Great City, but none ever said how wrong it feels. How do you bear it?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

28. - Top - End - #1198

[Inside Streets]

Hildur hmm's a little. "Well, how about we walk around a little to try and jog your memory?" She starts to stand up a little.

29. - Top - End - #1199

[Vacant Lot]

"I'm not sure if I can bear it yet," Fredrick replies with a dead-pan chuckle. "I've only been here one moon so far and I can already feel it wearing on me. I've been praying to the Archons for strength. I'm sure without their intercession on my behalf I would have gone mad already."

Yay for Archons?

And not Erf Archons.

That would be...

Weird.

"Do you know how to get back to your home from here?" Fredrick asks. "If this place is too strange and wrong you could always return."

[Inside Streets]

"Umm... okay..." the ghost child replies a bit hesitantly before rising to his feet. He moves with an obvious limp. No doubt because of that wound on his leg. Though as he's about to leave the side-street that chain around his ankle reaches the end of its slack.

It makes a rather distinct clanking sound and the ghost's eyes go vacant. He turns around and trudges back to where he started, crying softly.

Should Hildur follow him the whole previous scene will play out again. The rotting face, the weeping, the claim that no one loves him. All of it. He'll act as though the previous encounter never happened.

30. - Top - End - #1200

[Inside Streets]

Hildur is very surprised at this scene, but she's already working out how to deal with it. She's not going to leave a child ghost alone because she got frustrated.

She tries to play through the scene in the same way as before, except just up to him going behind the dumpster.