New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 43

[Arkham Street - Haunted House]

Fredrick scoots a little closer now, a bit further into the room. A bit nearer the site of the poor girl's death. "People go the Golden City. Where everything is bright and warm. Where pain and sadness are gone forever. And where Discord can't ever tread."

When he started his voice sounded hopeful. Glad to be speaking of the Emperor's domain.

But when he reaches the bit about Discord his tone falls.

"Things... things like me can't be there... I'll never walk the golden streets... or see my sister again..."

Oh great.

Now everyone is being all mopey.

"But not you. I'm sure you could get there still. A Wraith like you just needs a Priest to lay them to rest. I could... I could find one for you!" the Huldra's ears perk up a little at that. "I could get them to chase me back here! And then they would find you! And send you on to the Golden City where you belong!"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-04-11 at 08:21 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arkham Street - Haunted House

"I can feel the pull. It wants me. I can feel it now. It wants me. I can feel it now."

The cord sways. "I just can't leave."

A pause.

"Please. Go away. Maybe some time I can move on. For now, go away."

3. - Top - End - #1383

[Arkham Street - Haunted House]

For a time.

Silence.

Then the Huldra's shoulder slump.

"I... alright... I'm sorry I upset you..."

And with that he'll trot back down the stairs, out of the house, and then lay down on the front porch like some sort of horrible demonic watch-dog. He'll cross his paws and lay his muzzle atop them with a huff, watching a line of ants carrying bits of a dead worm off into the overgrown grass.

Fredrick feels terrible for that poor wraith.

And by the same token he feels the empty ache of his hollow heart beginning to gnaw at him again. He needs to find something to eat...

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arkham Street - Haunted House

Nothing will stop him from leaving.

As he leaves, she will hear her mutter...

"What was my name? I had a name. It was... Patricia..."

5. - Top - End - #1385

[Arkham Street - Wandering]

And as the demon-fox departs the ghost may hear from just beyond the door, "Goodbye, Patricia. I'll see you again."

As Freddy sits there on the front porch many thoughts cross his mind. Many troubling thoughts. And chief among them is how many of the ghosts he's consumed were aware like Patricia. He isn't sure what someone would experience inside that hellish void inside him. But if it's anything like the pain he feels when he begins to ache...

The Huldra rises to his feet and begins trotting down Arkham Street, ignoring the comments and stares of the people living here. Oddly enough most of them are just people worried about a large dog being on the loose. It was long ago that the inhabitants of Arkham Street learned to guard their minds from things which mortals aught not see.

He was going to find something to eat. He has to. Before his hollow heart begins to wrack him with agony again. He has to keep that void filled. He must keep it filled.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ogre in the Playground

Freddy may notice a youngish man in a black robe moving about the streets rather aimlessly. He's taken to wandering since he doesn't sleep any more, and the people of Arkham street have always been relatively kind to him, since they're used to dealing with weird things.

The huldra should also note that several spirits are following in the man's tracks. They seem to be following him for some reason, though it's clear they aren't really conscious of it.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

7. - Top - End - #1387

Spirits, huh?

As in ghosts? As in the disembodied lost souls of the departed?

'cuz 'Spirit' is something very specific in Freddy's home reality. Specifically a consciousness with no real sense of self. As opposed to the Soul, which is one's memory and personality.

Or those spirits might be a combination of both! What would be called a Wraith where the Huldra hails from.

Depending on which they are Fredrick's reaction would be quite different! And as for Fredrick himself the demon-fox is a very literal bottle of stolen souls. Well over one hundred of them all writhing about inside him.

And one extra soul in that crimson Orb floating along next to him.

Anywho!

The guy being followed by ghosts is watched with the curiosity of a dog watching someone with treats.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghosts, then. These are shadows of spirits that have moved on, clinging to this young man for some reason. As a matter of fact, he might actually be happy to get rid of them, seeing as they follow very closely. He doesn't notice the huldra staring at him, though, and just keeps walking.

Geeze man, pay more attention to your surroundings!

9. - Top - End - #1389

Oh...

Oh my...

Actual souls!

And lots of them too!

Fredrick's mouth begins to water as he watches the guy trudging along. Maybe he would be willing to part with a few of them?

Or maybe all of them?

One way to find out!

"Ah! Hello there sir!" the demon-fox calls out as he comes bounding toward the necromancer. "I can't help but notice you have quite a few... eerr... ghostly followers there. I don't suppose you need all of them?"

His tone is suggestive of someone asking another person with two hamburgers if they plan on eating both.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

The young man turns to face Freddy with his blood red eyes. as he turns, it becomes apparent that his body is much too thin for his clothes, as they would be if he was anorexic, "I have ghosts following me again?"

He turns to look, "Ugh, not again, how many times do I have to exorcise these things?"

11. - Top - End - #1391

Oh thank the Emperor what good fortune!

This guy is just wandering around with a bunch of ghosts bugging him! And he doesn't even want them. And this apparently happens to him really often? Could this situation possibly get any better?

"Ha! Oh! I think I could probably take care of them for you, sir! That is, if you don't mind. I'm quite certain I could dispose of a few unwanted ghosts."

And by 'dispose of' he of course means devour.

But surely this fellow wouldn't mind, right? Eye color and how skinny the fellow is really doesn't matter at all to Freddy. Undead are a pretty specific thing where he's from and this guy most certainly isn't one of them.

Out of curiosity, how many ghosts are following the guy?

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arkham Street - No Longer Wandering]

Currently? There's seven of them.

"If you think you can. I always seem to attract more, and they always just bug me, you know?" Amlin moves over to the little fox thing and tries to put his hand on Freddy's head, "Why? How were you going to deal with them?"

13. - Top - End - #1393

Little fox?

Little?

Freddy is the size of a large wolf. He's anything but little. Unless you're an elephant or something. Then 'spose he could be considered small. Relatively speaking.

The Huldra opens his jaws and inhales sharply!

Almost like the Big Bad Wolf.

Except in reverse.

And instead of blowing down houses of sticks he sucks up lost souls. Souls attached to bodies wouldn't even notice the ethereal windstorm raging into the fox-demon's hellish void.

Ha!

He didn't even answer the question! Too busy being really hungry.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ogre in the Playground

The ghosts will, of course, get gobbled up, to Amlin's surprise. "Cool. You eat things like that?"

15. - Top - End - #1395

They might not have obviously been devoured! The guy might have tried to stop Freddy or something. You never know!

So yeah.

The ghosts are all sucked into the Huldra's hollow body and devoured, warped, twisted, and tainted. And become a few more motes of Fox-Fire to further feed the monster's power.

So many of them at once...

Up until now it had always been one at a time. But seven? That feels... incredible... The feeling of being whole again. Of that aching void being filled. The sensation of once more regaining what he had lost. If only temporarily.

There's nothing like it.

It's what every Huldra lives for.

"Mhmm..."
    the demon-fox replies dreamily as his eyes flutter half-way closed. He sways back and forth slightly on his feet as he basks in the sensation of wholeness, all other sensations ignored for the time being.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, as far as it goes, Amlin doesn't care. These aren't spirits - they don't even have any real sentience. They're just shadows of those that existed, lost to the ethers of time, and attracted to the necromantic presence surrounding Amlin.

the young necromancer attempts to keep Freddy from falling over, what with the swaying, "Hey, are you alright? You look kind of... odd after doing that."

17. - Top - End - #1397

"Mmmmm.... Yeah..." Fredrick replies absently.

Though after a few moments it seems to register with him that he was being asked an actual question. And further that this guy seemed concerned for his safety. The Huldra does his best to focus his attention through the haze of pleasure that he's currently awash in.

"I... mmm... My soul was torn from my body. Feel so empty inside most of the time... aaahh..."
    the demon-fox explains between gasps and signs of ecstasy. "Just feels really good... filling in the hole in my heart..."

Well.

That sort of makes sense.

Right?
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-04-11 at 11:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ogre in the Playground

Amlin seems surprised, "You're... a ghost eater? I haven't seen one of those in ages. Never seen one that looks like a fox though."

He goes straight into a clinical examination. For the most part, Amlin's only seen ones that look like black dogs the size of a horse, so this is unusual to say the least, and of great interest to a necromancer.

19. - Top - End - #1399

"You could... mmm... say that," Freddy replies wistfully as the necromancer examines him. As mentioned before the Huldra appears to be a rather large blue and black fox sporting a pair of tails. His back is grown over with thick oak bark and patchy moss growth. And the occasion wisp of Fox-Fire dances around him.

He's hesitant about describing the way Huldra usually acquire souls.

Most people aren't too keen on the idea of getting seduced and devoured. And the demon-fox would really rather avoid being attacked if he can help it.

Even after just a few minutes the feelings of intense pleasure of beginning to fade, though the awful sensation of hollowness will still be prevented for some time. Seven souls is quite a few! And now that Fredrick's mind isn't quite so fogged curiosity is starting to get the better of him. "Why were those ghosts following you?"

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

Amlin will check Freddy's paws and teeth and take mental notes, doing research and the like, "It's been like that since I became a tomb soul. It means I'm a special sort of necromancer that is sort of undead while still alive," Amlin says, "It makes a lot of the more mindless entities get attracted to me, and sapient undead generally feel more comfortable in my company. Makes it easier to run my experiments, to say the least, but it always leaves me with unwanted followers. The physical ones I can usually leave at my apartment, though."

21. - Top - End - #1401

MagMart
    Elena's SUV pulls into the parking lot, coming to a stop.
    After a few minutes she exits the car, purse over her shoulder.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

22. - Top - End - #1402

Checking...

His teeth?

Like lifting up the demon-fox' gums and peering at them? Geeze... that seems a little denigrating. Freddy is so surprised by this action that he doesn't react much beyond going, "Gluh!" when his mouth is opened up.

While the Huldra looks to be made of flesh and blood on the outside on the inside he's made of dead wood and Fox-Fire. Those teeth are wooden! And tougher than ironwood thorns no less.

Once there are no longer any hand in his mouth Fredrick growls rather indignantly, "What was that for? You could have asked first!"

Suffice to say he wasn't really paying attention when the necromancer was prattling about why there were ghosts following him around. A little bit distracted about the whole tooth inspection thing.

23. - Top - End - #1403

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    MagMart
    MagMart

After briefly consulting the character directory, the Magbots in the store come to the swift and largely inaccurate conclusion that Elena is an individual of absolutely no significance. She's given the usual WELCOME TO MAGMART! greeting, the automaton at the door listing all sorts of sales and specials and savings going on now or in the near future, exclaiming quite loudly so that even if Elena hurries right past it with her hands over her ears, she's bound to find out about a lawn-mower discount or something before she can get away.

The store's gotten a bit less business lately, due to a large number of customers moving on to the Mallside branch, but there's still plenty of items and NPCs and store clerks milling about.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2012-04-12 at 11:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post

Checking...

His teeth?

Like lifting up the demon-fox' gums and peering at them? Geeze... that seems a little denigrating. Freddy is so surprised by this action that he doesn't react much beyond going, "Gluh!" when his mouth is opened up.

While the Huldra looks to be made of flesh and blood on the outside on the inside he's made of dead wood and Fox-Fire. Those teeth are wooden! And tougher than ironwood thorns no less.

Once there are no longer any hand in his mouth Fredrick growls rather indignantly, "What was that for? You could have asked first!"

Suffice to say he wasn't really paying attention when the necromancer was prattling about why there were ghosts following him around. A little bit distracted about the whole tooth inspection thing.
    [Arkham Street - wandering]

"Oh, sorry about that," Amlin says, "When I find interesting subjects, Sometimes I forget my manners. For the most part, I was examining the way you consume ghosts, and while your teeth may be wooden I think they could probably tear metal in half," Amlin thinks for a moment, "Do you have any other abilities? I doubt eating things is all you're capable of."

25. - Top - End - #1405

Freddy's ears are still pressed back. Mostly because he's still slightly irritated with this guy. But if he attracts ghosts and doesn't mind them getting nommed then he can't be all bad. In fact, if the Huldra can make friends with him he could have a steady supply of spooks to nom on!

Which would mean keeping his hollow heart under check. He would hate to even think about how desperate he would become if the ache got too painful.

"Powers... eerr... I've got these?" he offers as three wisps of ghostly blue Fox-Fire drift out of his body and begin orbiting around the necromancer's head. Amlin should be able to tell that they're amalgams of souls, corrupted and tainted and bound to the demon-fox. While semi-autonomous they still follow the Huldra's mental commands.

"I remember hearing stories that Huldra can use their Fox-Fire to make illusions. But... eerr..."
    he grins sheepishly, his ears flattening out slightly as he rubs the back of his head with one paw. A very human gesture. "I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I'm kind of... new to this. It's all really strange and alien to me."

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fascinating," Amlin says, looking at the soul amalgams, "Magic is generally a focusing of will. If you want, I may be able to help you focus. Payment for getting rid of the ghosts, if you will." It'll mostly just be concentration exercises, but it should help this creature out, right?

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    MagMart
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    MagMart

After briefly consulting the character directory, the Magbots in the store come to the swift and largely inaccurate conclusion that Elena is an individual of absolutely no significance. She's given the usual WELCOME TO MAGMART! greeting, the automaton at the door listing all sorts of sales and specials and savings going on now or in the near future, exclaiming quite loudly so that even if Elena hurries right past it with her hands over her ears, she's bound to find out about a lawn-mower discount or something before she can get away.

The store's gotten a bit less business lately, due to a large number of customers moving on to the Mallside branch, but there's still plenty of items and NPCs and store clerks milling about.
    Elena is accompanied by Tirin, naturally enough. Who, given his enhanced hearing, doesn't much like that greeting at all, and barely resists the urge to shoot the MagBot with an anti-spacecraft weapon, instead jumping about thirty feet into the store in one leap, ears flat against his skull, and his teeth and claws instinctively extending.

28. - Top - End - #1408

"I... uuhh... I don't know if I would call it magic..." Freddy replies in a very nervous tone. Magic is the domain of witches and warlocks. Worshipers of Discord and probably the most vile of people from the Huldra's homeworld. Despite the fact that he's become of a Discordant creature himself he's still trying his hardest to distance himself from the nebulous 'will' of Discord.

Or at least trying his hardest to believe that he is.

"But if you think you can help that would be great!"
    Freddy sits up a little straighter and puffs out his chest. "The Emperor made sure my soul would be retained even though I've been twisted into this. I'm sure He must have a reason for it! So I'll use the power of Discord against Discord. But... uhh... to do that I'll have to know how to use my abilities as a Huldra first..."

That's kind of important.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright then, this area seems relatively calm. You breathe, yes? I want you to close your eyes and listen to the sound of my voice..." Amlin will run the huldra through a breathing exercise that's specifically meant to clear the mind and allow him to examine all of his body in detail. This may end up providing some insight into his abilities, but the purpose of it is simply to clear his mind so that he can concentrate on his will.

30. - Top - End - #1410

Freddy isn't sure if he has to breath or not. He's been doing it out of habit, though. Regardless of technicalities the Huldra closes his eyes and flattens out his ears to try to cut off as much sensory input as possible.

Just breath.

Listen to the sound of the breathing.

Listen to the sound of the weird red-eyed guy's voice.

Focus inward... inside... and find...

Nothing?

No. No, far worse than nothing. Emptiness. Hollowness. Gnawing aching gnashing clawing biting wailing screaming writhing burning tortured never-ending ravenous hunger.

The demon-fox becomes increasingly agitated as he focuses and before long gasps, eyes snapping open as he pants frantically. "I... I can't do it..." he says, his voice defeated and apologetic. "I can't... I'm sorry..."